Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, what the hell did Daboll say to the Giants at halftime?

I think he gave them the Dean speech to Flounder in Animal House: “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life men.”

Daniel Jones carried the Giants on his back to this win after a bunch of drops and a terrible defensive effort in the first half. He is a tough kid. 

They’re going to get slaughtered by the Niners on Thursday. I say rest all the starters. Lol. 

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

They’re going to get slaughtered by the Niners on Thursday. I say rest all the starters. Lol. 

They'll get killed unless everybody and the weather predict the Niners to do just that.  Either way, ITA they should just spend 2 weeks preparing for Seattle

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think he gave them the Dean speech to Flounder in Animal House: “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life men.”

As the kids say, I'm ☠️. One of my favorite movies. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was about to post that the Bengals are done, but instead, I think they are simply in trouble.  Though I think Joe wasn't as awful as in Week One.

The problem is Cincinnati will have to worry about Higgins, Chase, and whomever else as Burrow got paid.  So they need to get there, get to the end.  That way, if and when they get the title, then they can break up the Bengals.

While I'd get killed for saying what I'm about to say, I think I'll be perfectly fine if Cleveland and even Baltimore win the division instead of Cincy.

On another note, New England is really in trouble.  0-2 both at home is brutal, especially against 2-0 Miami, both road wins

26 minutes ago, Carey said:

I was about to post that the Bengals are done, but instead, I think they are simply in trouble.  Though I think Joe wasn't as awful as in Week One.

The problem is Cincinnati will have to worry about Higgins, Chase, and whomever else as Burrow got paid.  So they need to get there, get to the end.  That way, if and when they get the title, then they can break up the Bengals.

While I'd get killed for saying what I'm about to say, I think I'll be perfectly fine if Cleveland and even Baltimore win the division instead of Cincy.

On another note, New England is really in trouble.  0-2 both at home is brutal, especially against 2-0 Miami, both road wins

The Patriots problem is they start slow and then turn it on in the 4th. quarter.

Zach Wilson doesn’t play defense.  So what’s their excuse?

I am confused about tonight’s doubleheader.  Two east coast games starting an hour apart?  If I were any of those four teams I would be peeved because Monday night is supposed to be your night, unless it’s east coast/west coast starting three hours apart.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3

I have to double-check, but I think they did this doubleheader nonsense last year.  I guess it's part of their new 11-year television contract, but that is a very valid point.  This is why I mentioned the fact that I could see the NFL messing with a team in the postseason when they have them playing on Saturday vs the Top Seed despite playing on Monday night & regardless of how the league said that would never happen.  They tend to add to their product, only to abuse it later on.

I didn't think much into it or care TBH.  MNF isn't as great as it once was; I was focused on Steelers/Browns to some extent but kept forgetting about Saints/Panthers.  There's no reason to have them both playing tonight.  At least spread out the time even if they're all Eastern/Central teams.  Or have one start at 5:00 Eastern; it's not like they haven't done that before

• Like 1

Petty me was looking forward to the ManningCast tonight as I was hoping to see Eli give Peyton some business about Tennessee losing. 

And this is a shot of me realizing the the Baker Mayfield-led Bucs (my team) have not turned the ball over at all this season. Granted, it's only two games, but c'mon... it's Baker Mayfield. 

fred sanford.jpg

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am confused about tonight’s doubleheader.  Two east coast games starting an hour apart?  If I were any of those four teams I would be peeved because Monday night is supposed to be your night, unless it’s east coast/west coast starting three hours apart.

I am on Mountain Standard Time (same as PDT right now), so having an east coast and a west coast game worked for me.  I don't get why they're doing this.  Normally I record all night games and start them about an hour later so I can skip through the commercials, but when the games are an hour apart, watching either one is going to spoil me for the other game.  Undoubtedly they'll be providing updates on each channel.

Are they trying to kill their own ratings by pitting the games against each other? 

5 hours ago, Carey said:

regardless of how the league said that would never happen.  They tend to add to their product, only to abuse it later on.

Same league that said (I think) that they'd never deprive America of playoff games by putting them on cable networks.  Super Bowl on pay-per-view seems like it's just a matter of time.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Super Bowl on pay-per-view seems like it's just a matter of time.

The Super Bowl every few years is a big part of why FOX, NBC, etc paid $2+ billion each for their packages. That is THE TV event of the year every year.  I wonder how much money the NFL would have to get through making it PPV to offset the money the networks are willing to pay. 

There is a number, I’m just wondering who did the math and what they came up with. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

It’s blowout insurance. Two chances to get a decent, close game on the screen. 

That's a valid reason.  Still not a great one, but one nonetheless.

I'm not sure they care about dumpster insurance TBH.  Not that they have to due to being the king of ratings, but an awful (defensive) HC vs a rookie with not a lot to work with AND a game that can end 4-0 Browns aren't great options to avoid a lousy Monday in the world of the NFL

• Like 1
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I am on Mountain Standard Time (same as PDT right now), so having an east coast and a west coast game worked for me.  I don't get why they're doing this.  Normally I record all night games and start them about an hour later so I can skip through the commercials, but when the games are an hour apart, watching either one is going to spoil me for the other game.  Undoubtedly they'll be providing updates on each channel.

Are they trying to kill their own ratings by pitting the games against each other? 

Same league that said (I think) that they'd never deprive America of playoff games by putting them on cable networks.  Super Bowl on pay-per-view seems like it's just a matter of time.

From an article in The Athletic - 

The Panthers-Saints game will air on ESPN while the Browns-Steelers matchup will be on ABC. When the Cleveland-Pittsburgh game gets underway, both broadcasts will include a “noticeable, but smaller, less prominent, score box” of the other matchup on the screen, per ESPN. There will also be “a double-box view” at times throughout the games, giving fans the opportunity to watch both contests concurrently. ESPN predicts that the games will “overlap for roughly one half of football.”

Also - 

In March 2021, the NFL finalized an 11-year media rights agreement with its previously existing broadcast partners, plus Amazon Prime Video, that granted more content to Disney by increasing the number of games on ESPN and ABC from 17 to 23. Beginning in 2022, there were to be three multi-game “Monday Night Football” weeks each season. The structuring of the schedule to air two overlapping Monday night games in Week 2 could be Disney’s way of testing the waters to decide how to approach the three multi-game “MNF” weeks in 2023.

Another possible explanation for the concurrent broadcasts is that overlapping the games, rather than scheduling the second game to kick off at the conclusion of the first, will hypothetically result in the late game ending at a decent hour on the East Coast.

• Like 1

Another home team, at night, wearing white.  It’s an epidemic!

Is it wrong to prefer Lou Riddick … and the other two guys whose names are escaping me right now (I want to say Karl Ravech and that jerk Dan Orlovsky?) to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman?  

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Oof, I watched the Nick Chubb replay on Twitter and I wish I hadn't. Knees aren't supposed to bend the way his did.

Wish I could've warned you.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Another home team, at night, wearing white.  It’s an epidemic!

Is it wrong to prefer Lou Riddick … and the other two guys whose names are escaping me right now (I want to say Karl Ravech and that jerk Dan Orlovsky?) to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman?  

I'm not a huge Giants fan, but I think it would be incorrect to root for Joe & Troy over the other guys.  It's Chris Fowler with Dan and Louis, BTW.

Though I'm okay with Buck & Aikman, as it's sorta fitting in terms of a missing puzzle piece when it comes to people calling games.  But man, Greg is so great as color.

White jerseys at home are okay I guess.  Not necessary at night, but in the September heat, I can understand it

• Like 2
On 9/17/2023 at 8:14 PM, JTMacc99 said:

What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

• Like 6

I'm not a Browns fan, but I'm also not a fan of injuries, especially/mainly ones that go beyond the sport.  Sure it'll help someone's team (as the sport is a business), but when you're seeing a career, or even life-threatening injury, it's heart breaking when everyone is saying, "I hope this is only a season-ending" injury."

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

As we say in the Midwest: “No; yeah” (which means “Yes”): I’m with @Moose135 on this one.  Wormer’s slam of Flounder was not really inspiring.  Bluto’s rant makes you want to run through a wall.  I myself have used it on many a KC postgame show.

And my heart cracks for Chubb.  Tremendous player.  Hideous moment.

• Like 3

I have to clarify something no one has asked for - I called Dan Orlovsky a jerk, but it’s really Danny Kanell, who has nothing to do with Monday Night Football, who I think is a jerk.

Can't they both be jerks?

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I have to clarify something no one has asked for - I called Dan Orlovsky a jerk, but it’s really Danny Kanell, who has nothing to do with Monday Night Football, who I think is a jerk.

Can't they both be jerks?

Neither one needs to be a jerk to alter facts.  In facts, the fact is they both were awful in the National Football League

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Nooooo!  I hope Chubb is okay.  Not a good sign that the Steelers fans groaned at the replay the network refused to air and gave him a standing ovation as he was carted off.  Crap.

I saw it live. I gasp/screamed and then prayed they wouldn't show it again. And for once, the broadcast didn't disappoint me. I remember the Theismann injury replayed on endless loop. (Fuck, I'm old.)

Kenny Pickett is kind of dreadful. It's going to be a long season for this Steeler fan.

• Like 2

My kids call him Kenny “pick off” Pickens. They have a ridiculous name for most of the big name players (Baker Bare-head Baker, Josh interception Allen, Brock last pick Purdy, Mac and cheese Jones, etc). This is what happens when two preteen girls watch Red zone every Sunday. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Anyone feel badly for the Browns because of the way DeShaun Watson is playing?  Anyone?

Putting aside the off-the-field issues (which no one should, but they apparently did), they gave all that money to a guy who sat for a YEAR.

So not only was he a terrible person they dropped 230 mil on, he was RUSTY.  And if it gets worse, and they have no choice but to drop him?  For four more years they aren’t going to have the cash to sign anyone elite.

They made this bed, and now they have to miserably lie in it while putting a shit product on the field.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Anyone feel badly for the Browns because of the way DeShaun Watson is playing?  Anyone?

As a Steeler fan I am never going to like the Browns but I would sometimes root for them if they were playing a team I outright despised.  But as long as they have Watson I'm going to root against them.  And with the way he is playing I think maybe some Browns fans might start rooting against him.  And what about his two personal foul penalties Monday night?  I guess he truly cannot keep his hands to himself.

• Like 8

I'll answer your question with a definitely no, mojoween.  To be honest, I have a big grin over this situation.

Plus, I'm surprised.  This is who they are.  They have a pretty good coach & GM, and a decent roster.  However, every time things trend upwards, they say "no thanks" and tear it down.  It is what it is.

To be fair, the same thing with Pittsburgh holds for Cleveland.  And everyone else: it's still super early.  The fact is they haven't cashed in since Day One.  So there's no real reason to think it's going to be different this year right now.  Pittsburgh isn't much better.  Culture wise, it's night and day, but based on their standards and going forward, I don't see anything from them either.

Cowherd explained it quite well on Tuesday.  Pittsburgh isn't going to win because they are too super loyal to cheap, awful, and under-achieving personnel on staff.  Cleveland is just pathetic, period.

So they'll end up giving up the future to obtain something to win now, but the problem is that said talent is more probable than not to be past its peak.  We'll see if things work with Jonathan Taylor if they go that route.  BTW, they're not too lucky (or kind of fortunate) except one time, and either they'll lose Taylor with his injury history or they'll just lose, period.  But they can proceed and give up all of their top picks until the next decade; I don't care.

Unlike bluegirl147, there's nothing to root for here.  Yes, I feel bad for Chubb, and Miles is okay.  No need to root for them, and that's been the case before Watson was even born.  The rooting interest will be in favor of Dallas or Baltimore during a matchup, but other than that, I'd either not have the TV on or root for a good game

• Like 2

Any Steeler who cheered for Ben still gets a side eye from me so I actively root against Watson and have given up completely on the Browns.  The money is one thing; they also gave away multiple first round draft picks.  So stupid.  So stupid.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Putting aside the off-the-field issues (which no one should, but they apparently did), they gave all that money to a guy who sat for a YEAR.

So not only was he a terrible person they dropped 230 mil on, he was RUSTY.  And if it gets worse, and they have no choice but to drop him?  For four more years they aren’t going to have the cash to sign anyone elite.

They made this bed, and now they have to miserably lie in it while putting a shit product on the field.

With the guarantee money he got & his crappy performance so far with the Browns, I think Jade West from Victorious has the perfect answer to that question. 

Jade West from Victorious saying NO! Compilation

With all that money he got from the Browns, A couple of Playoff wins & A Super Bowl appearance, & win is an absolute must. Besides, Baker Mayfield got the Browns a long overdue Playoff win (Which I was very happy about), so DeShawn has no excuses what so ever. 

I don't even know what kind of Cap Hit the Browns are going to have to suffer through if DeShawn Watson continues to suck for them. But,it'll definitely be very unpleasant for them.

Unlike bluegirl147, there's nothing to root for here.  Yes, I feel bad for Chubb, and Miles is okay.  No need to root for them, and that's been the case before Watson was even born.  The rooting interest will be in favor of Dallas or Baltimore during a matchup, but other than that, I'd either not have the TV on or root for a good game

There is no way in hell that I will ever root for Jerry Jones, his stupid son, & those Cowboys if the Browns play against the Cowboys. The only time that I will ever root for him & the Dallas Cowboys is for them going for an 0-16 season, which thanks in part to that scummy Jerry Jones, that's not going to happen anymore. I enjoyed the Browns going 0-16 several yrs ago (2017), just as much as I enjoyed the Lions going 0-16 (2008).  0-17 is downright impossible to get in the NFL & it really makes me very sad that thanks to him, we will never see another winless season from an NFL team ever again.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

As a Ravens fan, I'm conflicted on who I want to win the division, if not the Ravens. 

I would like the Browns fans to be rewarded, because I have the utmost respect for them remaining faithful during the lean years, but I certainly don't want to back their QB.  Maybe if he recognizes that he did something wrong and apologizes (I do believe in second chances), but probably not even then - but that will be more because of the team and their ridiculous payday, for which I shouldn't fault him.

The Bengals seem the logical choice, so maybe that's why I don't want them.  They seem to be in the Ravens way when it comes to the big games.

The Steelers?  No.  Besides the whole "we're supposed to hate each other", they've had their day in the sun and it's time for them to step down for a decade or two and let another team reign.

So, I guess it's just the Ravens.  Yep.  The Ravens should win the division and more.

• Love 1

There has been an influx of Niners fans to the Giants site that I visit for team news.

They're an awfully mouthy bunch for a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl since before the last time the Cowboys won one. I guess they got a lot of practice talking about winning the last 27 years.

Although, I agree with their confidence about this upcoming game. As a Giants fan, I'm thinking it's gonna be one of these nights...

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

• Like 3

I have to make time to read that article to see if someone's going off of what's in the CBA as well as how to handle MNF.  I don't think there are any changes strike or no.

To be clear sans reading, what I recall in terms of MNF on ABC is that they'll airing it throughout the season, but it doesn't mean they're adding more games.  They're just going to have that simulcast with ESPN on solo days.

As for scheduling teams from Sunday to Monday, that was always the plan.  I can't remember if it started on Week 5 or during Week 13 or some other time

44 minutes ago, Carey said:

what I recall in terms of MNF on ABC is that they'll airing it throughout the season, but it doesn't mean they're adding more games.  They're just going to have that simulcast with ESPN on solo days.

Disney is simply making the decision to move it's regular ABC Monday night stuff (Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor crap franchise) to later in the week to fill in programming holes created by the strike and simulcasting an additional 8 ESPN games on ABC. They were already showing 10 games on ABC during the year, making it 18.

I'm assuming that even though the same game is already on ESPN, they'll still make more money from advertising by simulcasting the NFL on ABC than they would running some kind of repeat or other dreck on the nights later in the week. 

• Useful 4

So, I just read something that stated, "If allegations are proven true, then Alan Williams will never coach in the NFL or for the team for the rest of his life."  Well, I guess I'll assume that's the least of the guy's problems.

Chicago has other issues to begin with in the game, but...

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Any Steeler who cheered for Ben still gets a side eye from me

From me as well.  That's my best friend's favorite team, and she still rooted for them throughout his tenure, but it wasn't the same until Big Rapist left; she couldn't cheer him on, and it's pretty hard to ignore a player who disgusts you when he's the frakkin' QB.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Carey said:

So, I just read something that stated, "If allegations are proven true, then Alan Williams will never coach in the NFL or for the team for the rest of his life."  Well, I guess I'll assume that's the least of the guy's problems.

Chicago has other issues to begin with in the game, but...

Please to share the allegation, or pm the link please.

• Like 1