Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, twoods said:

It wasn’t even a dirty hit. He was sacked how all QBs get sacked. 

That's how we saw it, but the ref is speaking out and saying that TB was "thrown" to the ground.  I thought it was a good tackle.  Maybe they're trying to lessen the injuries to the QBs after Tua's concussion.  We may see more calls that we disagree with going forward. 

"Following the game, NFL referee Jerome Boger released a statement on the decision.  The penalty was called because Grady Jarrett “unnecessarily throwing (Tom Brady) to the ground.”

The Cowboy's defense has been excellent this year. I think they deserve the most credit out of anyone for the wins this team has gotten this year. Cooper Rush has done a pretty solid job of holding down the QB spot while Dak has been injured. I didn't care much for Cooper at first, TBT I didn't think he was going to be that good. But he has done a nice job of filling in for Dak, he really hasn't made costly mistakes and he's done enough on his end to help the team/compete win. He probably has made himself some future money with the way he has handled things this season.

Next week's showdown against Philly should be interesting. It could be a very good game. The Eagles could win it, but even if they do the Cowboys are still in a very good spot. They have the Lions/Bears coming up afterwards and could potentially be no worse than like 6-2 after they play those teams.

The NFC East is looking like they are the best division in football right now. Everyone except the commanders is playing very good and entertaining football.

Also, speaking of entertaining, I thought that the Saints/Seahawks game was interesting. Even though his team lost, I'm glad to see Geno hanging in there and making some nice plays. He threw some impressive TD's in today's game. And Taysom Hill was impressive and really was doing a bit of everything. His impact was all over the game and he's the main reason why they won today. 

The Jets are also doing a bit better and had a nice win over Miami.

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

How is someone supposed to sack a QB? Is he supposed to hold him up and just hug him until the whistle blows? All QBs get thrown down if they get sacked that way. Saw worse hits today that didn’t get called. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

“Following the game, NFL referee Jerome Boger released a statement on the decision.  The penalty was called because Grady Jarrett “unnecessarily throwing (Tom Brady) to the ground.”

Apparently you’re supposed to cradle him gently and lay him delicately on the ground. How was Tua being body slammed not a penalty but this play was??

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That's how we saw it, but the ref is speaking out and saying that TB was "thrown" to the ground.  I thought it was a good tackle.  Maybe they're trying to lessen the injuries to the QBs after Tua's concussion.  We may see more calls that we disagree with going forward. 

"Following the game, NFL referee Jerome Boger released a statement on the decision.  The penalty was called because Grady Jarrett “unnecessarily throwing (Tom Brady) to the ground.”

That's what they're saying but I don't see it. He sacked him and Brady bent over Jarret as he was being sacked. He wasn't thrown. It  is a bullshit call. 

I thought the sack on tua was legal as well. The reason that play was so bad was because Tua shouldn't have been playing in the first place. 

Just now, Court said:

That's what they're saying but I don't see it. He sacked him and Brady bent over Jarret as he was being sacked. He wasn't thrown. It  is a bullshit call. The refs are reacting to the Tua hit and they shouldn't be. 

I thought the sack on tua was legal as well. The reason that play was so bad was because Tua shouldn't have been playing in the first place. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

That's how we saw it, but the ref is speaking out and saying that TB was "thrown" to the ground.

Hmmmmm. Maybe all this time we were wrong. The refs aren't in the tank for Brady. They actually SEE him getting hit differently from the rest of us...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Apparently you’re supposed to cradle him gently and lay him delicately on the ground. How was Tua being body slammed not a penalty but this play was??

Again, I didn't think TB's tackle was penalty-worthy, but I think the refs are going to be hypervigilant about tackles (especially to the QB) since Tua's injury.  They will probably go overboard in the attempt to protect the players, so I'm sure we'll be on here every week griping about the same thing.  I don't like to see penalties for hits that were good tackles.  Hells bells, the best hits we've seen came from former Buc's player John Lynch (BAM!).  Even the announcers would comment on how they could hear the tackle way up in the booth!!  If he played now, he'd probably be flagged for every hit he made.  ;)   

I agree with Court's post though and I don't think Tua's hit was a bad one either.  The decision to let him play in that game was a bad idea.  

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Again, I didn't think TB's tackle was penalty-worthy, but I think the refs are going to be hypervigilant about tackles (especially to the QB) since Tua's injury.

Maybe…and maybe this is just the latest in a long, long string of penalties called for hits on TB12 over the years that would never be called for any other QB.  Only Patriots fans, and now Bucs fans, could never see it.  

• Like 2
  • Love 8

I looked to see if there were any stats which tracked which QBs attracted the most roughing the passer calls, and lo and behold there is and it specifically references Brady arguments, as in "I know you're here because someone complained about Brady getting all the calls", lol.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php?view=all

If these stats are accurate, Brady's not in the top half of QBs getting RTP calls either per game or 100 throws.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Maybe…and maybe this is just the latest in a long, long string of penalties called for hits on TB12 over the years that would never be called for any other QB.  

I think the refs called one on behalf of a QB last week too.  I can't remember who it was though. 

55 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Only Patriots fans, and now Bucs fans, could never see it.  

As Buc's fans here, again, we didn't think it should've been called.  However, as TB said, he didn't make the call today.  Blame the ref.   

Risky call by Zac Taylor to go for it on 4th and goal and it didn’t pay off. I didn’t agree with it, in a game like this it seems like points are hard to come by, he should’ve just tied the game. 

• Like 1

It doesn’t seem as if either team wants to win this game- the offense anyways. Just keep kicking 50 yard bombs Justin. I can’t believe he makes 55 yard kicks look like chip shots. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I guess as a fan of the 4-1 Giants, it’s probably a good thing that the Ravens won that game. The Ravens game is a “reward” from the last place schedule as a result of the 2021 nightmare. It’s better that the Ravens aren’t desperate for a win than in decent shape. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I guess as a fan of the 4-1 Giants, it’s probably a good thing that the Ravens won that game. The Ravens game is a “reward” from the last place schedule as a result of the 2021 nightmare. It’s better that the Ravens aren’t desperate for a win than in decent shape. 

Probably the same reason why I'd have optimism for Pittsburgh to do well in 2023.  But that's it.  A 4th-place schedule + a division that could beat each other up.  Whether the players can overcome non-championship leadership has yet to be determined

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

It enrages me when a game is basically decided on an iffy penalty. Yes the Bucs outplayed the Falcons and have the better team, but the Falcons didn’t get a chance to win because of an absolute horseshit penalty. Worst call I’ve seen all season. I don’t even hate Brady but yeah he got a call that most QB’s wouldn’t get. Even the announcers trashed the officials. Total bullshit. 

The only explanation I can give is that if the hit on Tua Tagovailoa by Josh Tupou should have been flagged for roughing the passer (as some have argued) then the hit on Tom Brady by Grady Jarret should also be flagged. The hit on Tua scared a lot of people simply because of its aftermath and I'm sure the NFL is going to take a serious look at that hit (and similar kinds of hits) and make a determination on its legality.

The league may very well rule that "showboating" tackles are illegal. The purpose of a tackle is to bring someone to the ground, there's no need- as cool as they may look- to "bodyslam" someone to do it. The question I will have in that case is how the tackles on Tua and Brady could have been done differently. I honestly don't think either tackle could have been avoided- the tackle happened as it did simply due to physics.

...but, in the aftermath of Tua, I can't see that tackle staying legal. The NFL will want to say that they're "doing something" even though I doubt it will accomplish anything.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Maybe…and maybe this is just the latest in a long, long string of penalties called for hits on TB12 over the years that would never be called for any other QB.  Only Patriots fans, and now Bucs fans, could never see it.  

Exactly. It was a textbook tackle. No flag was thrown until Brady was whining to the refs. Brandy's head didn't even make contact with the ground or Jarrett!

• Love 2

If they do make that tackle illegal, then it needs to be applied to everybody, not just the QB.  Otherwise, people should no longer need to tackle a QB for said QB to be down by contact.  Just touch and go and the play/ball is dead.  How wouldn't you go with that at this point?

Either way, I can see the unnecessary "showboating" tackle being thrown out.  At least for now.  TBH, this is the annual OVERREACTION segment of the National Football League.  I hate to use examples but this happens early in the season, something that'll take over the talk and the actual games being played (Domestic abuse, the Anthem, Review PI, etc).

Sure things need to be addressed, but my point is that this will be a major emphasis early, and then die down as the season progresses.  I still think people will be ruled out that may not have been before, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone survives/bypasses concussion protocol when the games matter the most (later in the season).

For SNF one week from this Sunday (10/23), while the Steelers/Dolphins seem like a game that would typically remain there, I wouldn't be shocked if it were flexed out.  If it does, look for that to happen today or tomorrow in favor of Chargers/Seahawks or Giants/Jaguars.  Not many options (which means that they would keep the game on NBC), save for New York, the rest of the teams are that much better.  They're not as bad, though they all can improve, while I don't see how Pittsburgh can for the remainder of 2022

There were a lot WORSE tackles on Sunday that were not called.   So it can't be that they are being hyper-vigilant after T'ua.   It is very simple, Brady who was not "thrown to the ground" but was fighting to not get sacked -- like every other QB in the league -- did not make violent contact with either the player or the ground.   But it looked like the Falcons might win and that can't happen.    Maybe the League is hoping the 8th ring will make Brady shut up and go away.

Tucker is the MAN.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

Fair point, merylinkid.  It was the patented TB12 protection there.  Though I still think the Bucs survive, but we'll never know.  That just was a terrible situation.

A couple things with that: The Tua reaction actually nailed Miami more than anything.  Teddy Bridgewater would've been able to return in the past, but it just got unlucky & that's the thing that I think will not take place with a decent QB in the playoffs.  Now I don't think the Dolphins win with Teddy but I just don't want to see someone being ruled out when they could be reacting to something else AND they pass all the tests.

As long as the calls in the Bucs/Falcons game were consistent, then that's fine.  Sounds like they weren't so that's the problem.  If someone on Atlanta got slammed to the ground and the officials did nothing, that would suck.  I hate same-game different standards stuff.  OTOH, if the calls are different but in a different game, as long as it's consistent, then I'm okay with it

14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

To quote the great Jack Lambert,  "Quarterbacks should wear dresses." 😄

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Court said:

It was a textbook tackle. No flag was thrown until Brady was whining to the refs.

That's really what it was for me. The refs saw the tackle and had no problem with it initially. In that kind of situation, especially, if they saw nothing to warrant throwing a flag, they certainly shouldn't be doing it after the not-at-all-biased QB complains.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Court said:

It was a textbook tackle. No flag was thrown until Brady was whining to the refs.

I don't think he was complaining about it.  I looked like he went up to the ref to see what the call was.  

20 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I don't think he was complaining about it.  I looked like he went up to the ref to see what the call was.  

I don't think that at all. Plus brady is a known whiner and complainer about these calls. He gets no benefit of the doubt. The ref in the replay is clearly standing behind him watching holds his hand up for the play being over and makes no indication at all of reaching for the flag.  Then brady whines and is mad throws a flag. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't think that at all. Plus brady is a known whiner and complainer about these calls. He gets no benefit of the doubt. The ref in the replay is clearly standing behind him watching holds his hand up for the play being over and makes no indication at all of reaching for the flag.  Then brady whines and is mad throws a flag. 

Maybe we should just give Brady the penalty flag to hold.  Clearly he knows what a penalty is more than the refs.  

As a Steeler fan I dislike Brady simply for how many times he beat us.  But I really despise him for how he is coddled by the NFL and the teams he plays for.  He wanted to take preseason off?  Sure.  He wants Wednesdays off?  Not a problem.  He throws a tablet?  He is just being passionate.  It's one thing to act like a diva.  It's a whole other thing when people enable that behavior.  

• Love 11

He was asking where the call was. I haven't researched this yet but I've seen many analysts say that flag was no surprise with that ref/crew. 

Would the Falcons have won if that call hadn't been made? Maybe, maybe not. But the refs took that chance away from them with one of the most egregious calls I've ever seen. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

This was inevitable.

I'm sure he'll go back to being a very successful college coach. But he's not an NFL guy.

Time for a total rebuild in Carolina.

image.png

In the words of Lizzo, “It’s about damn time”. I’ve hated being a Panthers fan these past three years. We also have no QB currently and will be relying on PJ Walker these next few weeks. An UO but I actually like PJ.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Carey said:

Matt Rhule let go from Carolina

Social media here in Charlotte is celebrating. Because this solves all the team's problems, and they will go undefeated the rest of the season...

• LOL 10
42 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Social media here in Charlotte is celebrating. Because this solves all the team's problems, and they will go undefeated the rest of the season..

I don't know anyone who believes that.

At least we should finally be in position to draft a decent QB, instead of diving through other teams' dumpsters.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

At least we should finally be in position to draft a decent QB, instead of diving through other teams' dumpsters.

Russell Wilson might be available for a surprisingly affordable price. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 9
14 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Social media here in Charlotte is celebrating. Because this solves all the team's problems, and they will go undefeated the rest of the season..

I should have used the sarcasm font, but seriously, the way people are celebrating today, you would think that were the case.

2 hours ago, Court said:

Would the Falcons have won if that call hadn't been made?

If they had played better the other 57 minutes of that game, they might've won.  :)

Edited by ChitChat
typo

I've got the ESPN pregame show on and the announcers.are talking about someone looking like a highlighter. Then we see Kyler Murray in a highlighter lime green suit. 

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 2

The networks could do us all a favor and turn down the field mics when the Kansas City fans start the wretched tomahawk chop and also start talking while it’s going on, but they apparently condone that behavior, so they don’t.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The networks could do us all a favor and turn down the field mics when the Kansas City fans start the wretched tomahawk chop and also start talking while it’s going on, but they apparently condone that behavior, so they don’t.

And it's Indigenous People's Day.

• Sad 1
58 minutes ago, mojoween said:

One of many reasons why I'm at ease muting Buck & Aikman in favor of Harlan & Warner

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Xeliou66 said:

Another terrible roughing the passer call, this time against KC, this is totally absurd, that was not a penalty. Buck and Aikman are ripping the refs.

Can't land on the QB.  Tough break, but that's a pre TUA-GATE rule

• Love 3

Yeah it was a bad call- I don’t think he landed on Carr too hard and Carr did fumble. I hate the Chiefs fans though and will likely hear them continue to boo the second half, even if they get the benefit of the calls like they tend to. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Another terrible roughing the passer call, this time against KC, this is totally absurd, that was not a penalty.

This is exactly what I said would probably happen since Tua's injury.  The refs are going overboard with protecting the QB.  They're going to have to find a happy medium here.  No need to rip the QBs a new one, because this is the ref's call, not theirs!!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Carey said:

Can't land on the QB.  Tough break, but that's a pre TUA-GATE rule

Roughing the passer will definitely be a hot topic at the Competition Committee meeting. After tonight, they sure have a lot to sort out. I just fear they'll make an even bigger mess of it instead of actually solving the problem.

• Love 4

As mentioned, if this is how the officials are going to call the game, then so be it.  It may be going overboard, whether it's correct or not.  Regardless of the rooting interest, if Mahomes gets blasted and there's no call, then that would be total BS

• Like 1