Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

By the way, it's now being reported that Harbaugh told Michigan he'd be back. I thought something was weird when the "sure thing" was taking so long.  But I guess it's not over until it's over.

Yah, but many MI analysts and media are calling for him to be fired.

what do the metrics look like when he interviewed for an NFL job on signing day and since he wasn’t handed the (probably worst coaching opportunity open) the job on a platter, he’s essentially saying “okay, TTUN you’re my second choice.”

There are many angry alums posting things to social media.  Amazing aft he took them to the CFP, that alums & students alike are turning against him.  But he’s got that personality.  And I don’t believe his statement that ‘this’ won’t be a recurring theme.  He NEVER stays anywhere long.  He’s got a roving eye or he wears his welcome out.

Edited by roamyn
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Uh, why did they even bother waiting

Because in the off season DeShaun Watson was saying he was done and wanted a trade.   So it was going to be a rebuilding year.   Rather than stick the nice white boy with the label of flop when this year sucked, they hired the black guy to be the fall guy.   Then fired him when the Texans sucked.   It's what the NFL does and why Flores is suing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

what do the metrics look like when he interviewed for an NFL job on signing day and since he wasn’t handed the (probably worst coaching opportunity open) the job on a platter

I hate the Vikings but I don't think they're the worst coaching job.

51 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Rather than stick the nice white boy with the label of flop when this year sucked, they hired the black guy to be the fall guy. 

Thanks.  I knew they said Culley was hired to be fired but I hadn't connected the dots between him and the QB situation there.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I hate the Vikings but I don't think they're the worst coaching job.

I guess it’s how you look at it. 

They have one of the worst caps, an older team, an average QB, and it’s bitter cold.  I don’t know much abt the organization structure, however.

A case could be made that the Texans is the worst job available (or not if they hire inexperienced and untested McCown).

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

They have one of the worst caps, an older team, an average QB, and it’s bitter cold.  I don’t know much abt the organization structure, however.

Cousins was probably above average last season.  Their roster, in September, was the 6th youngest with some young talent. They do have cap issues. 

But the owners aren't overly trigger happy.  Every coach since they bought the team has been given at least four seasons. And Harbaugh has experience with re-invigoration. 

He's also a midwest guy. I doubt he'd have a problem with Minneapolis or the cold. Heck, for some people (myself included) -20 degrees is 100X more desirable than the 90 degree heat and humidity of a  Miami.

• Love 1

Worst job is the Giants. And that's before Flores' lawsuit. Unless you think Daniel Jones will suddenly blossom, you're going to have to replace him in a year, and you have the fifth least cap space in the league next year. They poured money and resources into the O line and the weapons and have nothing to show for it. Just dismal.

Honestly Culley deserves some sort of award for the Texans not being one of the three most embarrassing franchises of 2021. (Dan Campbell as well, but he wasn't fired like Culley.)

• Love 1

I just found out today that a. the Patriots were once banned from Monday Night Football for 15 years because their fans got too drunk for ABC and b. a Pats fan once stole a goalpost, hit a tension wire in the parking lot and got electrocuted.  I am angry I did not know any of this previously.

Oh Em Gee - the drunk fans who stole the goalpost were awarded five million dollars in damages against stadium security and I CANNOT.

Edited by mojoween

the Giants are still one of the premier jobs in the NFL.   History including one of winning, owners historically supportive, HUGE media market.

Vikings are somewhere in the middle.   Not bad, but not great.   Which pretty much sums them up.   They are one of the teams that have not won the big one.   What makes the job less attractive this year is that Kirk Cousins contract.   He is too expensive against the cap to dump.   Yet he is NOT good enough to build a team around and now he is going to be the future.   Nobody wants to go into a situation where 1) you are stuck with a mediocre qb OR 2) you are not drafting your guy this year to build the team around.   

• Love 3

OK Hue Jackson, you’re Claiming the Browns offered you a bonus to tank.

One, it seems a little convenient that you’re talking about it now; Two, that team was already a poor talented team; Three, No responsible player who loves the game, no matter how untalented he is, is going to tank.

And more importantly: What does your claim say about you because you obviously took it because the Browns went 0-16.

My BS meter is running….

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

OK Hue Jackson, you’re Claiming the Browns offered you a bonus to tank.

One, it seems a little convenient that you’re talking about it now; Two, that team was already a poor talented team; Three, No responsible player who loves the game, no matter how untalented he is, is going to tank.

And more importantly: What does your claim say about you because you obviously took it because the Browns went 0-16.

My BS meter is running….

Jackson has also been pretty openly crying bitter tears into his sour grapes ever since he was fired.  He is taking advantage of the Flores lawsuit to try to reframe the narrative around his coaching stint in Cleveland, IMO.  He was no better than mediocre as the coach of a really bad football team.  

The fact that it has now been 4 years since he was fired and he never said a word before now makes me think he's jumping on the bandwagon, not leading the parade.

He also won a grand total of 3 games in 3 seasons as head coach of the Browns.  That being the case, he is not only claiming the Browns gave him a bonus for losing; he's also saying he actually 'earned' the money by doing it.  Surely, his coaching exceeded the owner's expectations if they were looking to lose a lot of games.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 8

At least the Rams have their uniform on players. I like this combo, and if I’m not mistaken this is what they wore when they won the Super Bowl eons ago.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

The fact that it has now been 4 years since he was fired and he never said a word before now makes me think he's jumping on the bandwagon, not leading the parade.

I don't know much about Hue Jackson but if he has the receipts, then he has them and should definitely share them with Flores.  Or hell, make them public.

But to be fair to him, it sounds like this might be a little bit of a thing that no one talks about out a fear nor getting another coaching job but others may now that Flores is suing.

Our of 30 football owners, I absolutely believe there are a few who are dumb enough to think that this is a good idea.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But to be fair to him, it sounds like this might be a little bit of a thing that no one talks about out a fear nor getting another coaching job but others may now that Flores is suing.

You honestly think Jimmy & Dee Haslett (no matter how Douche they are) wanted to be only the second team to have a zero win season?  No one wants that kind of notariery.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

the Giants are still one of the premier jobs in the NFL.   History including one of winning, owners historically supportive, HUGE media market.

I guess that explains the blinding starpower of their previous three coaching hires: Ben McAdoo, Pat Shurmur, and Joe Judge.

Give me a good QB over any of the things you cited.

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:
34 minutes ago, roamyn said:

You honestly think Jimmy & Dee Haslett (no matter how Douche they are) wanted to be only the second team to have a zero win season?  

I thought Cleveland was the third?

They're not even the third.  IIRC, someone else did it but it was either during a shortened season, or a winless with a tie scenario.

Cleveland's the 3rd post-merger, and the 2nd to go 0-16

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, roamyn said:

You honestly think Jimmy & Dee Haslett (no matter how Douche they are) wanted to be only the second team to have a zero win season?  No one wants that kind of notariery.

0 for? No.  But that's the thing about losing, it's hard to flip that switch just to avoid never winning.

Yesterday’s anniversary was Peyton getting ballsmacked by the Seahawks, which I still am mad about.

But guess what today’s anniversary is?!?  That’s right…18-1 baby!  I’m still terrified watching *that play* every time that Eli is going to be ruled in the grasp.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yesterday’s anniversary was Peyton getting ballsmacked by the Seahawks, which I still am mad about.

But guess what today’s anniversary is?!?  That’s right…18-1 baby!  I’m still terrified watching *that play* every time that Eli is going to be ruled in the grasp.

Well if they continue to suck in real time the NY Giants can always look forward to the 20th anniversary and the 30th anniversary and the…

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

0 for? No.  But that's the thing about losing, it's hard to flip that switch just to avoid never winning.

Exactly. I have some issues with Hue Jackson (Raiders fan here), but yup. When Jackson was hired, the Browns under Sashi Brown had a plan in place to suck for a couple of seasons in order to stockpile great draft picks which they could use to build a future dynasty. That was perfectly obvious at the time, and the plan actually worked pretty well although Brown didn't get to stick around to make the picks. Someone still has to be coach when a team is tanking. The Haslams would have known the plan, but ultimately they couldn't handle the bad press, got cold feet, and so started firing people partway through - first Brown, then Jackson.

The NFL doesn't allow teams to openly tank in order to rebuild the way MLB and NBA do and so you have this ridiculous theater with coaches being hired to be the fall guys, blamed for not spinning purposely terrible rosters into gold when the team doesn't even want them to do that. (And if they do manage to somehow do better than expected they're still fired anyway.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I guess that explains the blinding starpower of their previous three coaching hires: Ben McAdoo, Pat Shurmur, and Joe Judge.

Give me a good QB over any of the things you cited.

GOOD coaches wanted the job.   Doesn't mean the team made good decisions over who to hire.  It's still a top landing spot.  

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Exactly. I have some issues with Hue Jackson (Raiders fan here), but yup. When Jackson was hired, the Browns under Sashi Brown had a plan in place to suck for a couple of seasons in order to stockpile great draft picks which they could use to build a future dynasty. That was perfectly obvious at the time, and the plan actually worked pretty well although Brown didn't get to stick around to make the picks. Someone still has to be coach when a team is tanking. The Haslams would have known the plan, but ultimately they couldn't handle the bad press, got cold feet, and so started firing people partway through - first Brown, then Jackson.

The NFL doesn't allow teams to openly tank in order to rebuild the way MLB and NBA do and so you have this ridiculous theater with coaches being hired to be the fall guys, blamed for not spinning purposely terrible rosters into gold when the team doesn't even want them to do that. (And if they do manage to somehow do better than expected they're still fired anyway.)

I don't disagree at all that the Browns were at a very low point and it was obvious that they were going to suck for a few years until they got enough decent draft picks to improve.  That was obviously the plan and Hue Jackson and Sachi Brown knew it and so did everyone else.  It isn't like the Browns were a decent team that had fallen on hard times after losing a bunch of good players to trades or free agency or injury.  They'd been terrible ever since they returned to the league in '99.  

However, what Jackson is saying is that he was offered bonus money for making sure they lost.  I don't really think that is the case.  They were bound for failure whether the coaching was any good or not.  If Jackson didn't see that when he was hired, then he needs glasses.  I think he hoped he'd be able to hang on until the Browns got enough draft picks to improve.  Unfortunately, the Browns weren't that great at making draft picks and Jackson didn't distinguish himself as a head coach of a bad team to keep the job.  I don't dispute that the Haslams and others probably told Hue they knew he didn't have much to work with and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if the Browns lost a lot; but I don't think they paid him to do it.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

GOOD coaches wanted the job.   Doesn't mean the team made good decisions over who to hire.  It's still a top landing spot.  

Did coaches from other teams call in to say that they wish they were coaching the Giants?

10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Jags hiring Pederson instead of Byron Leftwich. More reason for people to be pissed, and rightfully so. When is this madness going to end?

I get what you saying but Pederson won a Superbowl as a head coach. it's not like he's Joe Judge or Ben McAdo or some gut that's never done any coaching in the league.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3

Haslam responded

Joe Thomas’ comments from the article:

On Thursday, former Browns All-Pro offensive tackle Joe Thomas said on 850 AM ESPN Cleveland that he has a hard time believing that Jackson wasn't at least initially on board with the team's rebuild plans.

"Who in Browns Nation didn't realize that the team was on a deep rebuild and their focus was being competitive for championships three and four years down the line?" said Thomas, who retired after the 2017 season.

"Everybody who was a Browns fan knew that that's what they were doing."

• Love 1

From the ESPN article, 

"He's been masterful at pointing fingers but has never accepted any blame. I have accepted a ton of blame, and rightfully so."

Like you did when the FBI started charging people in the company you were the CEO of with fraud charges. 

Oh no, you just wrote a check to get out of it.

1 hour ago, shoregirl said:
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Jags hiring Pederson instead of Byron Leftwich. More reason for people to be pissed, and rightfully so. When is this madness going to end?

I get what you saying but Pederson won a Superbowl as a head coach. it's not like he's Joe Judge or Ben McAdo or some gut that's never done any coaching in the league.

Plus, when Leftwich "had the job" but suddenly did not, I wasn't sure whether they said "We'll get back to you" or whether Leftwich said "No thanks!" over the fact that Jacksonville decided to allow Baalke to stick around

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Plus, when Leftwich "had the job" but suddenly did not, I wasn't sure whether they said "We'll get back to you" or whether Leftwich said "No thanks!" over the fact that Jacksonville decided to allow Baalke to stick around

This makes sense. I was confused why Leftwich was the front runner and suddenly it’s someone else, unless he wanted no part in the organization. 
I agree that Pederson has a SB and is a decent coach, just would have loved to see what Leftwich could have done with that organization. 

• Love 1

If you Google his name (which I had to do because I didn't recognize the name) the reports were that he was going to remove his name from consideration over Baalke.  I don't know if he did or not but it sounds like a real possibility.  And Pederson did have success. 

3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

"Who in Browns Nation didn't realize that the team was on a deep rebuild and their focus was being competitive for championships three and four years down the line?" said Thomas, who retired after the 2017 season.

Deep rebuild can mean a lot of things, though.  If anything, it reinforces the racism angle in that he was hired to coach a team in a "deep rebuild" and then was let go.

• Love 1

If Steven Ross ends up getting pushed out of the Dolphins but Dan Snyder keeps on keeping on with the Commies there needs to be some sort of investigation.

Hopefully Christine Brennan is holed up somewhere with a doozy of an article that Goodell won’t be able to ignore.

Bribing your coach to tank is not even in the same league as grooming your prettiest cheerleader to fuck old men, and also sexually harassing your employees.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Mojoween: I agree; that would be messed up.  On a moral or emotional sense Day Snyder should be out the door before Stephen Ross.

However, I can see why it's fair enough for the opposite to be the case.  The situation is obviously worse in Washington, but in Miami, it affects the game itself.  It wrecks the integrity, and technically, it hits the area where the situation in Miami is a federal crime

• Love 1
6 hours ago, twoods said:

I was confused why Leftwich was the front runner and suddenly it’s someone else, unless he wanted no part in the organization. 

One rumor is that he didn't care for the GM, but there are lots of rumors swirling out there, so who really knows?  As much as I want him to further his career and be successful, we sure will miss him if he leaves the Bucs. 

Re Leftwich -- apparently he was telling people at the Senior Bowl that he was withdrawing because he didn't want to deal with Baalke.   Why Baalke got a second chance at being a Gm when he was terrible in SF and coaches said they didn't want to work with him, I have no clue.   Well I have a clue and it supports Flores' lawsuit.   

It's one thing to say the team is in a "deep rebuild" so wins and losses don't really matter right now, even to say losses are preferred because of what it means in the draft, it is another to incentivize losing by paying a bonus for each loss.   ESPECIALLY when you have interests in gambling and you KNOW there is a greater chance you are going to lose a game, rather than just see what happens out on the field.   

As for saying well the players want to compete so no player is going to go out and not give his best.    Sure they will try to win.   But if the coach makes sure there is a terrible game plan (consecutive QB sneaks in the other team's red zone, running the ball up the middle with 13 seconds left on the clock), terrible clock management, misusing timeouts, etc., a coach can make sure the team is set up to lose  no matter how hard the players try to win.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Good luck to Goodell in sorting out this mess!!

His day just got worse. 

Daniel Snyder could block release of probe details under deal with NFL, document shows

In their letters, the Democrats leading the House Committee on Oversight and Reform’s investigation into the NFL questioned the veracity of Goodell’s claims and set a Feb. 14 deadline for submitting “all documents pertinent to the Wilkinson investigation, as well the Wilkinson findings.” If the NFL fails to comply, the House members wrote, they would seek “alternate means” of obtaining the documents.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

This is a hot mess.   Apparently according to the Joint Defense Agreement, Wilkinson was not hired to investigate the issues like with Deflategate and the Bounties.   She was hired to give legal advice to the NFL and Snyder about the issues.   What they TOLD the public was that she was investigating the claims.   No one, including the witnesses, except Goodell and Snyder knew it was never an investigation.   The lawyer for the cheerleaders is FURIOUS.   She said her clients would never have participated in the "investigation" if they knew it was not really an investigation.   As well she should be.   If Wilkinson's role was to give legal advice to the NFL and Snyder, that changes the process, including how information is provided and how to go about getting that information.   Honestly Wilkinson better be concerned for her law license here if she mislead anyone into providing information.   

The whole "veto" thing is a big misleading.   Basically the NFL withdrew from the joint defense agreement.   Which means a decision by one party cannot cover the other one.   So information to be released has to be agreed upon.   Instead of the NFl saying, we are releasing on behalf of both the NFl and Snyder.   Now they can't release because they need another agreement to release.   

The League had a chance to get in front of this and handle it properly.   Instead they tried to cover up and now they fucked it up very badly.   It will be WORSE than whatever they found because this now affects ALL 32 teams instead of just WTF.  Like big time liability, lawyers losing licenses, sponsors bailing, etc.   Goodell finally found a way to kill the goose who laid the golden egg.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The League had a chance to get in front of this and handle it properly.   Instead they tried to cover up and now they fucked it up very badly. 

They're going to end up in front of a Congressional committee, after all the documentation has been subpoenaed.  They're in a heap o' trouble, boy.

• Love 2

Sashi Brown, former EVP of the Browns, who helped stockpile all the Browns draft picks, is going to our rival, the Cravens!

I guess he doesn’t understand that you don’t go to an division rival, aft you helped turn around your former employer.  That would be like Luke Fikel going to TTUN or MI St.

A-hole.  Thanks for betraying us. 

ETA, for the record, I don’t feel the same abt the great Ozzie Newsome, aft I found out no one else would offer him a job.

Edited by roamyn
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

A-hole.  Thanks for betraying us. 

Yes.  I mean, if you're not going to pass up your dream job in deference to the folks who canned you for perceived and actual failure then what kind of person are you?  Obviously the Browns would never, ever let business trump personal feelings.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

ITA.  That going to a rival thing gets tossed out of the window when the original team kicks you out.  Personally, I think it's more accepted than not, unless you actually sucked at the first job