Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can’t be the only person rooting for a tie and overtime.  Nothing against the owl-stealing Rockefeller Christmas tree, but if the options are normalcy or chaos, I choose chaos.

You got a Wednesday afternoon NFL game and you want more?

• LOL 4

I don't know that I buy 'resting players make them rusty'. I mean, these people are professionals. 

Plus, on the other side, if you play the game and someone gets hurt that they're out for the actual meaningful game, then you're roasted in the media too. 

• Love 1

So I was at NFL.com stuffing the ballot box with Steelers voting conscientiously to reward the best Pro Bowl candidates and the fullback page is just. . . sad. Only two players have more than double digit rushing yards and only one has scored a touchdown. I realize that there are also pass protection and run block duties to judge, but it might be time to get rid of them as separate category.

"Us sucking" will never get old, I don't think.  He ain't no Pop or Belichick but he takes his pressers to another level most can't get to, at the very least.  Really, Roethlisberger does as well.  I can't blame them for being cold this year, but you could've gotten this version regardless of outside circumstances

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ve always loved Mike Tomlin in spite of who he coaches for but this year he’s been especially salty and it’s delightful.

Not a Steelers fan, but I've always been in awe of the fact that they've had exactly three head coaches in fifty years, two of whom retired while the third is still there.  Not a single firing in 50 years.  Feels like some teams go through three head coaches in one year.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Not a Steelers fan, but I've always been in awe of the fact that they've had exactly three head coaches in fifty years, two of whom retired while the third is still there.  Not a single firing in 50 years.  Feels like some teams go through three head coaches in one year.

It's a testament to the management of the Rooney family and it's why they are revered in Pittsburgh. Art Rooney founded the franchise and for decades they sucked. But since Dan, his son, took over operations in the seventies, they have been a model of franchise management.

As for Tomlin's press conferences, he has a lot of great phrases. Some are general sports clichés and some of them are unique to him. But he sells the hell out of them with his sincerity in what he is saying. In Pittsburgh they are known as "Tomlinisms".

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

It's a testament to the management of the Rooney family and it's why they are revered in Pittsburgh. Art Rooney founded the franchise and for decades they sucked. But since Dan, his son, took over operations in the seventies, they have been a model of franchise management.

As for Tomlin's press conferences, he has a lot of great phrases. Some are general sports clichés and some of them are unique to him. But he sells the hell out of them with his sincerity in what he is saying. In Pittsburgh they are known as "Tomlinisms".

That's kind of adorable.

I think the lack of stability of most other organizations is that they just don't have the drive to invest long term. You just need to do enough to go 8-8; some years you get some bad luck, and might win 6 or 7, or you catch some breaks and get 10,11. Most coaches are good enough to be 500, but no one is going to take a risk on a longer term investment in staff where you'll probably suck for 3 to 5 years. That's part of the reason you see all the same faces trotted out when there's openings. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think the lack of stability of most other organizations is that they just don't have the drive to invest long term.

The Rooneys have always had the patience to ride out the rough years, and they've had the long term success to validate their decisions.  Tomlin had a few rocky seasons and Pittsburgh did not yank the trap door, because he's proven his value to upper management and to the fans. 

If The Chin had decided not to give up coaching, he'd almost certainly still be there.  Hell, Chuck Noll would be, too, except for the unfortunate fact that he is, well, dead.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This isn't really related, but I just love -

'What do you think of your team's execution today?'

'I'm in favor of it.'

My absolute favorite of McKay's many quotable moments.

I'm also quite fond of Jim Mora saying "diddly poo".  (Yes, even more than "Playoffs?!")  That whole tirade was fantastic, but "diddly poo" makes it art.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

That is perfect!  Typically Philly behavior!  I don't think I'd pick them to beat the Packers even if they were decent this year.

Cleveland, Las Vegas, Minnesota, Miami, Indianapolis, Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, both LA Teams, Green Bay, Kansas City, Buffalo, and Baltimore look like winning teams for Week 13.  I'd be happy to be wrong if the Titans, the Texans, or the Jets prevail though!

I wonder if it would it be a record if the NFL on CBS moved to a more competitive game in the first half of a game scheduled within one's region.  For example, moving from Cleveland at Tennessee to Las Vegas at New York Jets.

In my area, I usually get two early games, with the late game being the national game on either CBS or FOX (both in Week 17).  This week, two late games, the national game of the week on CBS and one on FOX.  One early game on CBS: Cleveland vs Titans at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee

13 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Patriots play the Jets in Week 17. I'd like everyone to imagine the scenario in which Belichick has nothing to play for, and the Jets must lose to secure the #1 pick.

That would be interesting.  The Patriots had something to play for in Week 16 five seasons ago, and you wouldn't know it given how it ended.  At the time it hurt Pittsburgh more than New England.  Somewhat ironic, the reverse happened two years later with the same parties (not the game's ending, at the Pats won by 20)

5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

All I wanted was for the Giants to acquit themselves and not look foolish.

I NEED A CIGARETTE.  😻

It's obvious: Colt McCoy is the answer.😁

Speaking of QB controversies, looks like the party's over for Mr. Wentz.

• LOL 1
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

All I wanted was for the Giants to acquit themselves and not look foolish.

I NEED A CIGARETTE.  😻

They are so well coached. That defensive game plan was amazing. And ever since Judge got involved with the offensive line, the Giants are a really good running team. 

• Love 2

I’m only here to say FUCK CBS and especially Tracy Wolfson.  Saying Alex Singleton’s sister SUFFERS from Downs Syndrome.  What a nice showcase for SO, until that ignorant AF statement.  My head literally snapped around when I heard that.  My son is a SO athlete so I was like awwwhhhh yes, then that.  You go, Ashley Singleton, and live your best life.

Also GO PACKERS AND GO CHIEFS.  ✌🏼

• Love 3

I like Anthony Lynn, but it seems as if he’s done in LA. I’m sure the Chargers would still figure out how to lose, and I don’t know what’s worse- all those last second losses or the embarrassing one today against the Pats. The Pats better not make the playoffs this year.

• Love 3

Well the Vikings squeaked by for a win. And Detroit beat Chicago!! I think having Kendricks out hurt the Vikings defense quite a bit.

I'm happy for Stefanski that Cleveland is doing so well. I remember the days when "fans" wore paper bags over there heads at games.

It's official.  Travis Kelce is the best tight end in the NFL.

FWIW, Kansas City's struggles against Denver wasn't a surprise.  It may come off as one since everyone (in the media) has come to the conclusion that it's the Chiefs and nobody else.  I still think it's them until somebody beats them (when it counts the most).  Pittsburgh could do it, New Orleans might do it.

It is possible that Cleveland could win it all.  Crazy as that sounds, they are playing some good football right now.  While they nearly blew it against Tennessee, when you're up 38-7 on anybody that is very rare.  If the Titans had come back all the way it would have looked bad but not fatal since it's December and the 31-point margin was reached with 30 minutes of game time left, not 17 minutes of game time remaining.  Can the Browns sustain this for years to come?  We'll see.  I can see Baker and company winning in January and maybe in February so that they can get theirs before Mayfield gets paid (recent reference to that made by Cowherd).  If it doesn't happen this season, I can see it in a year or two before it could fall apart.  I don't know if it'll fall apart to what they were from 2015-2017 in recent history but the salary cap is not a pleasant thing.

Twoods, I think it's over for Anthony Lynn too.  Los Angeles booting him isn't so much as he hasn't performed.  It's a combination of that and the fact that the Charges need to do whatever it takes to stop Kansas City from turning into this decades version of the Patriots of the preceding decade.  Whatever happens, they did return to the postseason, and they did win a playoff game.  Unless they kick him out today L.A. might allow him to complete the season.  However, they were the fourth team eliminated so I guess they could get a head start or just start looking sooner rather than later

8 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Saying Alex Singleton’s sister SUFFERS from Downs Syndrome.  What a nice showcase for SO, until that ignorant AF statement.  My head literally snapped around when I heard that.  My son is a SO athlete so I was like awwwhhhh yes, then that.  You go, Ashley Singleton, and live your best life.

Different condition and different venue, but the other day I was listening to classical music and the announcer was explaining the upcoming piece.  The composer has Synesthesia and sees musical notes as colors; he wrote a symphony based on that.  The announcer said, “Mr. Torke suffers from Synesthesia and.  Wait, I apologize because I used the wrong word just then.  Mr. Torke experiences Synesthesia and . . .”  The learning curve is steep, but people can change from deciding that everything outside the “typical” must mean suffering.

The Cleveland score makes the game sound so much closer than it was.  I would have liked to see more points in the second half, but the Browns were never on the verge of giving it away.  It was a beautiful sight!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

And Adam Gase still has a job why?

Keeping him as head coach increases the chance for getting Trevor Lawrence.

You wouldn't want an interim to fire up the team and go on a two game win streak.

• LOL 8
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

You wouldn't want an interim to fire up the team and go on a two game win streak.

There are four games left!  Give them some credit, that interim could pull off a MIRACLE.  And then Jacksonville would twirl their Snidely Whiplash mustaches and call Trevor.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

There are four games left!  Give them some credit, that interim could pull off a MIRACLE.  And then Jacksonville would twirl their Snidely Whiplash mustaches and call Trevor.

It'll be a MIRACLE if the Jets win a game this season. It almost happened yesterday. I was sweating bullets & my football watching for the day (and possibly season) was about to ruined. But, thankfully Derek Carr & Henry Ruggs the 3rd got the job done in the final seconds to save the day. 0-16 is alive & well.

Poor Trevor Lawrence. He is going to suffer dearly if he gets picked by the Jets. Even he won't be able to fix this mess. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

Some Twitter page had a graphic comparing Aaron Rodger’s numbers to Patrick Mahomes’s numbers this year which led to a very vulgar conversation between my hubby and me about what we think the ad agency for State Farm would do if Kansas City and Green Bay meet in the Super Bowl.

• LOL 7