Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

According to Ian Rappaport, the Pegulas met privately with key offensive players about Greg Roman.   Rex Ryan was not present.  

That is so not good.   Owners should not be going directly to the players about coaches.   Players knowing they can go to the owners to complain about coaches only leads to dysfunction.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

And after being Brady-like, Garoppolo goes into the locker room with an injured throwing shoulder. I think the dry cleaning bill in greater Mass. will be through the roof, because Pats fans just pissed their pants.

Nope, dry pants here.

• Love 3

Yep, reported parking 200-300 dollars since it's so crowded and hoping people will use public transportation. No idea how hubby is doing there and don't want to ask.

Raining buckets in Pittsburg and almost 90 at kickoff for the Rams game. Doesn't feel like fall at all.

Why on earth was the cheering so loud for Dallas IN Washington?  For shame.

A win is a win and NY is 2-0 yay!  Not as much fun out of the Dome, eh New Orleans?

Cleveland is a factory of sadness indeed.  I didn't hear, is McCown's injury serious?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Woohhoooo....great win by the Giants today.  I thought after last year's shootout I was being conservative by saying the game would 'only' be in the 30s.  Pshhh.  Total combined score didn't even make 30.  Victor Cruz once again making a huge late game catch.  The rookie Shepard (so glad I picked him up in fantasy this week) was doing work!  The Giants are really showing themselves to be a more complete team.   I know its only 2 games in but these were games we'd be losing under Coughlin the last couple of years. Great clock management by Mcadoo today.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why on earth was the cheering so loud for Dallas IN Washington?

DC is a huge transplant city.   You get fans from every team here.   They sound loud when Skins are losing and the Skins fans have left the stadium.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There are LOADS of Cowboys fans in the DC area, sure it's a transplant city, but a good portion were born and bred in the area.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Oh Patriots defense, just because Garappolo leaves the field doesn't mean you have to follow. 

I think the talking heads are panicking more than fans. 

Truth. And honestly, even if Brissett sucks hard for 2 games, so what? Most figured the Pats would go 3-1 or 2-2 without Brady anyway, so even if they lose the next 2, they're still about where we all figured they'd be.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Truth. And honestly, even if Brissett sucks hard for 2 games, so what? Most figured the Pats would go 3-1 or 2-2 without Brady anyway, so even if they lose the next 2, they're still about where we all figured they'd be.

But you were looking at 4-0. And you'd much rather play the Steelers in Foxboro than Pittsburgh.

5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

But you were looking at 4-0. And you'd much rather play the Steelers in Foxboro than Pittsburgh.

Well, yeah, of course 4-0 is better than 2-2, and of course I hope Brissett doesn't suck and the Pats win the next two games. But it's all relative. As we all figured the Pats might go 2-2 without Brady anyway, it's not like them going 2-2 would be shocking or cause for panic. I would feel a LOT worse had Jimmy G gone down last week.

The prospect of going to Pittsburgh doesn't scare me. Some of the Pats' biggest victories have been in Pittsburgh. Now, the prospect of going back to Denver? THAT scares the shit out of me. Mile High has been a house of horrors for the Belichick Pats.

• Love 2

I guess the Seahawks WRs are going to throw their hands up every time? Learning from their equally whiny coach. Players are so coddled nowadays.

The Cards still seem to be pissed off from losing last week and taking it out on the Bucs.

Wonder if the Chargers will blow another lead.

Edited by twoods
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Well, I think most of us in the DMV expect it; plus, we do the same to them in their stadium.  We just love to hate on each other and it's so much fun. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

pssst - football Jesus is a Dallas fan.   The stadium roof has a hole in it so he can watch his favorite team play.*

Naw.  I just forgot it was his day off.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

DC is a huge transplant city.   You get fans from every team here.   They sound loud when Skins are losing and the Skins fans have left the stadium.

I remember watching a Steelers/Chargers game at San Diego a while back where it looked like 70% of the stadium was waving Terrible Towels. It's always trippy to me to see a game where the "away" fans dominate the locals. 

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

. Now, the prospect of going back to Denver? THAT scares the shit out of me. Mile High has been a house of horrors for the Belichick Pats.

It scares me too. They never play well at Mile High.

This was mentioned earlier, but if this is what the relatively new owners of the Bills are already doing, then that team is probably in trouble far beyond Rex Ryan's tenure.

According to multiple sources, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula convened private meetings Friday morning with several offensive standouts to discuss the offense. They aimed to get a tenor of what was going on and picked the brains of players on several issues, including play-calling. They tried to figure out what was wrong.

The owners were asking about play calling? That's Dan Snyder levels of bad ownership.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

According to a reporter from the NFL Network, Jimmy Garrapolo suffered a sprained AC Joint. This is much better news than other injuries people feared he may have. It’s being reported that he could be back by Week 4. They think his chances for playing against the Texans this week are slim, but hope he is back the following week.

I wish him a healthy recovery and hope is back sooner than later. He played very well today. I was impressed with him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000704364/article/garoppolo-suffers-sprained-ac-joint-in-patriots-win

I think this is going to be another really rough season for the Brown. They blew a 20 point lead in today's game. At least Corey Coleman looks promising but I think it’s going to a very rough season for that team.

The OAK/ATL game ended up being competitive. I thought that Jack Del Rio made some gutsy calls, but most of them panned out. I like that he was playing to win, instead of playing not to lose. That was a good win for ATL, who I didn’t think was going to win that game.

Also, I think teams like Indy and Washington might be in some trouble (even though it’s still early in the season.) I felt like both of these teams should have won their games today. Indy in particular may be on shaky ground. Two disappointing losses to start the season and they have several defensive players that are out with injuries. Maybe things will look up for them eventually, but right now they don’t look so good. I think that them and Washington really need to win their week 3 games to get something positive going. (Indy against the Chargers, Washington vs the Giants.)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

I wish him a healthy recovery and hope is back sooner than later. He played very well today. I was impressed with him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000704364/article/garoppolo-suffers-sprained-ac-joint-in-patriots-win

I'm very glad to hear that; I was listening to the postgame show on the radio and they were quoting the Boston Herald as saying he might be out 4-6 weeks.  Also, you neglected to title that link "Garafalo on Garoppolo" :)

The Pats will still need to go shopping, though; they can't go into Thursday (and the return of Vince Wilfork to Foxboro) with a QB depth chart of Brissett and Edelman.  OTOH, Wes Welker's been hanging around this week.... apparently he called Brady and suggested having dinner, and Brady's response was "Great! Come over and we'll run some routes!"  Welker was talking to someone on the radio and said something like "Terrific... I suggested dinner and he's going to have me running 2-minute drills in the backyard."

2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Who's available for the Pats to pick up on short notice? 

It's like the time I went to my first ever Panthers game back before Cam Newton was QB. I don't even remember who the QB was to be honest but he was out on injury as was the second stringer. They literally called some no namer to come fill in. No namer gave an interview that he was sitting on his couch, hadn't played ball in a while and got the call to fill in. Needless to say, we lost that game. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

2013-08-30T033827Z_698840195_GM1E98U0W8T

I'M JUST KIDDING!

Matt Flynn was around for a cup of coffee during training camp. Maybe him.

Or if they think Garappolo can make it back for week 4, they'll go into week 3 with just Brissett and Edelman as the backup.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2016/09/18/5-quarterbacks-patriots-could-potentially-bring-in-following-jimmy-garoppolo-injury/

I'm guessing they bring Lindley, Flynn, and Stanzi in tomorrow, and whoever looks best will be suiting up Thursday. No way the Pats roll in on Thursday with just Brissett and Edelman as the emergency guy. I also suspect that whoever they pick up, they'll keep on through Week 4; even if Garoppolo is cleared to play Week 4, you have to think they'd be concerned that one good hit would do him in again, and then you're left with Brissett and Edelman again.

• Love 2

I agree they have to pick up somebody, they can't go up against Watt and Clowney with only Edelman as a last resort. If Brissett doesn't start releasing the ball faster he's going to get slaughtered. They need a viable back-up even if they have to drag some washout off the couch.

What about Matt Cassell? Is he still alive? He knows the system and did well under Belichick.

Surely there had to be a way to get Adrian Peterson to the locker room without parading him through the restaurant. 

If not, that's a pretty shitty design flaw.

ETA I know that new stadiums are designed to have the teams walk through public space (fan experience!) on the way to the field, But there needs to be another path for occasions like this.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Cassel, Mallett, and Hoyer are primary backups for other teams already.

Didn't realize that, thanks for the info!

49 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Surely there had to be a way to get Adrian Peterson to the locker room without parading him through the restaurant. 

If not, that's a pretty shitty design flaw.

ETA I know that new stadiums are designed to have the teams walk through public space (fan experience!) on the way to the field, But there needs to be another path for occasions like this.

That was so tacky! Peterson was grimacing in pain the whole way. I was watching it like, don't they have a golf cart to bring him to the locker room? There has to be some shortcut to get players there quickly in the event of injury.

Saw on twitter that they didn't design the walkway large enough for the cart.   So the only way to the locker room was through that path and he had to walk.   Dumb, dumb, dumb.   Millions of dollars and you forget to design the walkway right.

Dallas has such a walkway but it is glassed in so the drunk fans can't get too close to the players.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mountainair said:

It's like the time I went to my first ever Panthers game back before Cam Newton was QB. I don't even remember who the QB was to be honest but he was out on injury as was the second stringer. They literally called some no namer to come fill in. No namer gave an interview that he was sitting on his couch, hadn't played ball in a while and got the call to fill in. Needless to say, we lost that game. 

Ha! Reminds me of the Bears, for about, oh, a decade or so before Cutler.  He's not the be all end/all, I know, but for a long time there, I didn't bother to learn names because, why would I?  I would just cheer for "New Guy".  Let's go New Guy, giterdone!:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Mountainair said:

I had to look this up to recall who it was, but I do remember this happening now.  It was Brian St. Pierre.  I had never heard of him either before that.  And I have not heard of him since.  Lost one game.  Actually didn't post horrible numbers for the game considering the circumstances, 13-28 173 yards 1 td and 2 INTs.  Not good but certainly could be much worse when you have one week to prepare, likely are out of shape, on a horrible team and have not played in who knows  how long

Now the Panthers have Joe Webb as the emergency/#3 QB, who actually is decent, if you see him in the preseason when he gets most of his playing time. 

I don't want anyone injured, but my son and I always are excited at the opportunity to see the emergency QB in the game and to find out who it is for each team.  Makes typically an otherwise dull game potentially interesting.  ESPN did an article last year about this.  Tony Dungy is the most famous probably for actually getting in the game in that situation.  He was the emergency option for the Steelers one or two years, played QB in college.  He actually got in one game for a short period, had no idea really what he was doing, back in the 1970s.

Remember! When you ask football Jesus for a win you run the risk of -

Your starting QB/RB/WR to go down for a for a few weeks, a three game losing streak or one HUGE blowout.

To get Football Jesus to favor one team over the other defeats the purpose of him being all benevolent - he doesn't like to be pitted against one team/city.

Remember, on any Sunday.....

-----

Football Jesus,

thanks for making the games close and for stocking sake at my local supermarket. I know that you cheated those 90k El Lay fans out of any kind of touchdown, but they waited THAT long, what's another game on the schedule?

Please limit the stupid Gatorade 'let's run the whole thing back' commercials on my TV - somehow, any football player that knows what the word 'inevitable' means or is spelled, surely had someone else doing their homework in class or to quote a 'Hollywood' Henderson line?

"they wouldn't be able to spell cat if you spotted them the 'c' and 'a'......

-------

Peeing at the El Lay Coliseum?

We were able to walk to the top of the stadium and pee on the wall, during the game - on that first MNF game the Raiders ever played as the home team.

Parking?

We went to a game late and had to park to the west - on the front lawn of a private home.  The price then was 20 dollars and my bud was hesitant to leave his car there.

I told the kid that I wanted him to make sure the car was safe, so I paid the 20 and took another tenner from my wallet and tore it in half.

I handed him one half and told him he'd get the other half if the car was didn't get whacked or dinged when we got back.

(People were s-q-u-e-e-z-I-n-g cars into every square inch on the properties - some so close you had to get out and let the passengers out first.)

Game over we came back to see the kid sitting on the fender making sure the car wasn't touched.

The good old days!

-----

One thing that always stumped me was the fucking Denver Broncos Barrel Guy showing up at the LAC and walking up and down the aisles until the cops/NES fools came to his rescue.

Probably worked for the beer distributor for the game.........god knows people dumped enough on him while he was riling up the home town folks?

Football Jesus needs to keep Tebow away from my team or I'm becoming a football atheist.

The commentators were throwing out some...special ideas for Brissett's back up. Peyton Manning. Johnny Football. I hope they were joking.

Edited by NinjaPenguins
I kin spel
  • Love 4

I'm pretty sure Belichick has a deal with the Mass. State Police that Johnny Football isn't allowed anywhere inside I-495 unless he's on an opponent's roster.  I heard the postgame guys also jokingly mention Michael Vick, but I think he's on the same "Shall Not Pass" list.

• Love 6

On Mike & Mike this morning Greeny was joking with Donovan McNabb that he needs to wait by the phone for Belichick's call.

As an aside, I'm happy to see Donovan working and hope he put his issues behind him and will never do anything so stupid, reckless and dangerous again.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Football Jesus needs to keep Tebow away from my team or I'm becoming a football atheist.

The commentators were throwing out some...special ideas for Brissett's back up. Peyton Manning. Johnny Football. I hope they were joking.

Tebow deals with a different Jesus, one that don't get his robes dirty.

I like Tony Dungy and for the longest time couldn't figure out who he looked like..... he looks like the alien in the flick "Enemy Mine".

I thought that Stefon Diggs played well last night. He seems like a young man. I look forward to seeing him grow as WR. I am also interested in seeing how far the Vikings go with Sam Bradford as their QB this season.

I think that Carson Wentz looks good. I think he is doing a really fine job of playing the QB position. He is yet another rookie/young QB that I am impressed with so far this season. He just needs to be careful about taking hits. He took some big hits tonight, but he ended up being okay. Even though he is big and strong, I think he still needs to try and protect himself from absorbing those types of hits. I also think that Doug Pederson is doing a good job so far as the head coach for the Eagles. I think he did some nice play calling tonight. I am interested in seeing how well the Eagles may end up doing this season.

Also, I read that Charlie Whitehurst signed a 1 year contract to be a backup QB with the Cleveland Browns. The Browns will be starting their rookie QB Cody Kessler because Josh McCown is out with his shoulder injury. They will be the 5th QB they have started in the last five games. I wish Cody the best but the Browns have been suffering at the QB position for such a long time.  One of these days maybe things will finally look up for them at that position and for their team as a whole.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1