Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I know there are people who don't like Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth, and I have to wonder why. I'm watching tonight's Panthers-Broncos game, and the two of them are doing a great job of discussing the game as it happens, anticipating penalties, and predicting plays. I'm loving it. 

Part of the excitement is that the game's outcome is coming down to the final seconds...

• Love 1

I thought that overall Trevor Seimian seemed poised tonight. I thought he played solid in his NFL debut. Some of his throws were high and rushed and he had some turnovers, but overall he didn’t really seem very rattled or anything. I am interested in seeing how he grows as a QB during the rest of this season. I also thought that CJ Anderson played well tonight.

Also, I am glad to see that Kelvin Benjamin is back and healthy. And I’m hope that Cam ends up being okay and doesn’t end up being concussed. He took several hard helmet to helmet hits tonight.

I also wonder if Peyton will consider doing more work as an analyst. I think he might enjoy doing that and would offer a good amount of insight on the game and different teams.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Maybe Cam has a point that he isn't getting the calls other QBs are.   Those were some obvious helmet-helmet hits, he was clearly not himself yet no calls.   Let's not even discuss how the medical spotter should have stopped the game.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Heartbreaker ending for Carolina. I was expecting another undefeated start. 

Both teams played well tonight, especially the defenses. It's a shame that one of them had to lose. 

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Maybe Cam has a point that he isn't getting the calls other QBs are.   Those were some obvious helmet-helmet hits, he was clearly not himself yet no calls.   Let's not even discuss how the medical spotter should have stopped the game.

When he brought it up before I thought he was whining, but you see this game and the calls that were missed, its hard to argue against him being treated differently

At least 3 calls I saw where it was obvious, it should have been a late hit or a penalty.  There was a late hit on the sideline after a throw, one replay clearly showed Denver defender with his hand all over his helmet, which is supposed to be a penalty, and one hit to the head not called.  The one helmet to helmet hit they did make was negated by an intentional grounding call. 

Disappointing game for the panthers.  Both defenses I thought struggled and didn't look the same as last year, but tightened up in the red zone.  Siemian played very well outside 2 bad decisions causing INTs.  Both teams offenses seemed out of sorts at times calling time outs due to the play clock. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

Also I think they should amend the replay rules :  If you ask for a challenge during an already called time out, I don't think you should lose another time out if you lose the challenge.  This happened in the 4th quarter when the Panthers were driving.  It was a CLEARLY bad spot on the 3rd down pass, marked it a good half a yard ahead of where it should have been.  Carolina calls time out, then asks for a review.  They won the challenge so did not lose another time out, but if they had would have lost the challenge, would have lost two time outs on that play, which seems ridiculous.  If you have a time out already called and have a challenge left, should be able to ask for a review of the previous play without losing another time out.  teams would not be able to abuse this rule because there is still the limit on challenges, so its not like they are going to be challenging every previous play on every time out

• Love 1

Loved the intro for the Broncos.  When Von handed the trophy off, I was like "who's this schmuck (with the great swag walk) bringing the trophy out.  I was pleasantly surprised to see Peyton.  I figured he would be a part of the ceremony but I knew he wasn't the Superbowl MVP...so that was a nice way to have him be included.

I actually fell asleep during the first half and woke up in the middle of Peyton's interview with Al and Chris....talking about how he's spending his time.  Something about taking the kids to kindergarten.  I didnt know his kids were so young still.  He really does have his (and their) lives ahead of him.  I dont see him being an analyst though....at least not full time. He seems more like a front office type like John Elway. I'm sure whatever he does do, he'll be successful.

Now as for the game.  I dont doubt that Cam is getting hit illegally and some of those hits should have been called but I'm so annoyed with his attitude, the pouting and complaining.  There was one moment during the first half where the play ended and a Denver player,(I think Ware) was simply trying to hype the crowd up by waving his arms up and down....Cam walked by and shoved him. Like come on dude.  It doesnt make sense for me to say someone who's won a national title and has been to the Superbowl is mentally weak, but to me its clear the Broncos and maybe certain players specifically have gotten in Cam's head.   

The other QB from last night was pretty impressive considering it was his first game. He looked poised and like the moment wasn't too big for him.  I did laugh though when talking about his poise, Chris said something about how the kid has been under the bright lights before and mentioned some college game against Norte Dame. I was thinking, well was it a bowl game? Was it played at the Bears stadium?  Like what made that game even remotely comparable to an NFL game (albeit regular season)?   I think Siemian sitting behind Peyton did more for him than whatever game he played in college.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

At least 3 calls I saw where it was obvious, it should have been a late hit or a penalty.  There was a late hit on the sideline after a throw, one replay clearly showed Denver defender with his hand all over his helmet, which is supposed to be a penalty, and one hit to the head not called.  The one helmet to helmet hit they did make was negated by an intentional grounding call. 

How does it make sense that a brutal helmet to helmet hit can be negated by intentional grounding (I'm not being argumentative toward you BTW- this is aimed at the league)? A hit like that should always over rule any other penalty on the field, IMO. 

The he officiating was crap last night and I agree. I never really saw what Cam was talking about when he said he wasn't fairly officiated on the field but last night was pretty obvious.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

Now as for the game.  I dont doubt that Cam is getting hit illegally and some of those hits should have been called but I'm so annoyed with his attitude, the pouting and complaining.  There was one moment during the first half where the play ended and a Denver player,(I think Ware) was simply trying to hype the crowd up by waving his arms up and down....Cam walked by and shoved him. Like come on dude.  It doesnt make sense for me to say someone who's won a national title and has been to the Superbowl is mentally weak, but to me its clear the Broncos and maybe certain players specifically have gotten in Cam's head.   

That's kind of where I'm at. No doubt Broncos defense laid out some bad hits, but Cam was such a dip in the first half that it was like a continuation of his pouting after the SB. There was no introspection, no maturity, no reassessment about his actions apparently from over the summer about how he acted like a kid instead of a grown man. No, as ambitious as they all are, you shouldn't accept defeat, but at least don't be what he was last February and last night. You have a second chance to 'right the wrong' and instead of showing your mental toughness and redeeming yourself you gripe and look for calls, shove players, and floss your teeth on the sidelines? Fine, you don't like or respect the Broncos and are gonna show it? Don't be surprised when they dish right back to you.

I was disappointed the Broncos were giving him exactly what he wanted in terms of a sympathetic narrative by targeting him with some of those hits. Kubiak definitely should tamp that crap down. It was giving Cam something legit to complain about after the game and 'delegitimizing' the Bronco's second win against him.  But there is something to be said that the Panthers didn't pull him nor did the objective medical team on the sideline. So as someone said, there's blame all around for that situation.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, topanga said:

I know there are people who don't like Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth, and I have to wonder why. I'm watching tonight's Panthers-Broncos game, and the two of them are doing a great job of discussing the game as it happens, anticipating penalties, and predicting plays. I'm loving it.

Well, for me, it's not what they say, and I do agree they're both very good as commentators.  Unfortunately,  I just cannot stand the tone of their voices.  Michaels has an annoying "ringing" tone in his voice, and Collingsworth has sort of a "growly" tone and, collectively, they drive me bonkers.  I have tried over the years to get used to it because I know they're not going anywhere anytime soon, but I just can't.  They really spoil the games for me and I've taken to just muting the sound.   

• Love 1

I don't think Manning will be doing anything full time anytime soon.  I think he wants to enjoy his kids and retirement for awhile, as he should. 

I always thought he would be better in the booth than as a coach or front office person.  Very few great players make great coaches.  Elway has done it in the front office though.  Larry Bird has done it in basketball, a solid coach and front office job.  Jerry West as well.  But its a short list.  There are lots of players that went on to coach and be in the front office, but few HOF players who did well at both

Has Cam gotten more whiny this season? What is his deal? Go out and just play- you will likely get more calls if you're not acting like a total bitch. However, Brady gets a ton of calls and is still a whiny bitch....

I don't know why there is so much fuss about what Palmer said about Brady's situation. He's right- if you get busted for breaking a rule you have to pay the consequences. Its not like he got stripped of his prior SB titles or his MVPs. 

• Love 1

I don't know if Cam has gotten more whiny but he shouldn't have to put up with those helmet to helmet hits without the hitter getting penalized.   Those hits are brutal and dangerous.  Fuck Denver.

• Love 4

I was surprised to be rooting for Denver because I thought I wouldn't with The Sheriff gone and I do actually like the Panthers too.  With that said Cam is not treated the same and that shit has to stop.

I have SEEN Peyton get brushed by a defender's forearm on the side of his helmet that results in 15 yards.  What happened to Cam is bullshit and the media who says that Roethlisberger is treated the same as Cam are LYING because that is not at all true.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

I watched post-game presser. No whining there.

During the game, not afterwards. He was pretty classy after the game, but during it he kept having that pouty look on his face. 

I do agree with Olsen that refs need to treat Cam like a QB instead of a running back- I doubt Luck would have gotten that many no calls with the helmet to helmet hits. Hopefully since people are talking about it now the refs will look for it more.

4 hours ago, Mountainair said:

How does it make sense that a brutal helmet to helmet hit can be negated by intentional grounding (I'm not being argumentative toward you BTW- this is aimed at the league)?

I agree.   If the league is going to take concussions seriusly, then NOTHING offsets a helmet-helmet hit.   

I don't care how whiny Cam is, those hits were not necessary and should have been flagged.  The Refs are supposed to be doing that regardless of how a player behaves or any bad blood between teams.   Refs not doing their jobs is how we got that debacle in the Steelers-Bengals(Browns?  I always mix those two teams up because of Paul Brown's association with both) last year.

As for Palmer, I hope he is never suspended more games than someone who smacks his wife for something that he was "more likely than not generally aware of."

• Love 5

Oh Football Jesus,

Please close down all of the papa john's pizza shops for salmonella poisoning and get peyton manning off my TV set.

Oh and please pull the plug on HIS cable system.

His speech impediment makes me laugh at him and I know I shouldn't make fun of the disabled.

Football Jesus, Let my nachos never get soggy, allow me to enjoy drinking sake instead of beer on gamedays - let my teams

vanquish their opponents on the field and keep their Gatorade coolers filled, cold and with the flavors that will guide them to victory.

Give me the strength to make it thru the Bar-S hotdog, Dick's Sporting Goods, Nike and NFL sunday ticket commercials.

Let my bladder and colon be strong until the commercial break and never let me spill my drink on the sofa.

Let all my fabrics be stain free and my deodorant work.

Let there be more shots of cheerleaders on the sidelines, fan in the stand with misspelled signs and put Draft Kings out of business.

Put that gronk on injured reserved for the rest of the year and give me the strength NOT to laugh at grown men wearing 200 dollar jerseys.

Let my Monday night games be suspenseful and free from blowouts and my heart never lust for any power tool I see in a commercial.

Amen.

• Love 5

I'm just now turning on Countdown and so far I'm sold.  Randy is making good points and isn't doing the annoying things that I hated him for as a player, I have always liked Trent's analysis even though I want to burn his team to the ground and for some reason I have always loved Matt Hasselbeck and didn't even know he was going to be a panelist so this is a pleasant surprise.

And is the other guy Bart Scott?  I like him too. 

It's funny how the last few seasons it was all moldy oldy former players and now it's guys who are not that far removed from playing.  I mean, I liked Cris and TJ and Key but the league they played in is not the same one Matt played in.  For the most part, anyways.  Matt played a long time.  And Randy played with Cris so dammit my analogy is falling apart all over the place.

• Love 1

Alas, Football Jesus - not to be confused with Touchdown Jesus on the Notre Dame Campus - is NOT my creation-

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=football+jesus+statue&qpvt=football+jesus+statue&qpvt=football+jesus+statue&qpvt=football+jesus+statue&FORM=IGRE

I call on FBJ on occasion during the season to make me laugh and to calm my soul when things get tough.

FBJ is mean for the entertainment of the fans and any taping or the events and descriptions of the prayers is prohibited with out the expressed written consent of the Vatican.

Thank You!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Alas, Football Jesus - not to be confused with Touchdown Jesus on the Notre Dame Campus - is NOT my creation-

Well, it might not be your creation but you are certainly a disciple.  As am I now. ; )

1 hour ago, nowandlater said:

I am doing something I thought I'd never do -- I'm watching both versions of the RedZone Channel (the Scott Hanson NFL Network version and Andrew Siciliano DirecTV version) at the same time.

It is AMAZING. It's like getting high. OMG.

Oh I want to do that.   Sounds like heaven.

Wow, Raiders won? Big shocker, and gutsy play at the end by Del Rio going for 2. It never gets old watching the Saints lose.

Poor Chargers- looks like another crappy season for them.

I guess the Vikings D CAN win games for them. 

Too bad the Bills don't seem to care how terrible their offense is. Another shitty season to look forward to.

What would you do if you were commissioner?  I would ban political commercials from game broadcasts and limit Peyton Manning commercials to one per half.  I would put a shock collar on Ed Hochuli and when he exceeds 100 words per (usually needless) explanation --- ZAP!  Any player who celebrates a big play when his team is down two touchdowns or more by acting in a way that is only appropriate for a playoff win will have to sit out 2 series.  Any player who celebrates a play when there is an injured player down on the field will be suspended for a game.  When it is freaking hot during these early season games, I'd allow officials to wear shorts.  Chip Kelly would be banned from the league because, well, he's Chip Kelly. 

So what would you as commish? 

• Love 3

I'd like to think I'd be a commissioner for all of the people. Fans, players and owners. 

But the fact that I wouldn't have a laser like focus on maximizing profits for the owners at the expense of all others would probably get me fired in quick order.

Then I would go and cry in my $40 million golden parachute.

(I also wouldn't charge the military branches for the privileged of being celebrated by the league.)

• Love 2

As commissioner I would ban the names of Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow from ever being spoken again. I would ban the word "elite" from being used. I would boot the entire Patriots franchise from the league  (hey Goddell already abuses and misuses his power...so why can't I??).  

On a more serious note....I would bring in a panel of former Hall of Fame receivers and maybe a few qbs so they can finally properly define what a "catch" is.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

I wonder what excuses Skip Bayless is going to make tomorrow for the Cowboys falling flat on their faces today against the Giants & for that wide receiver (I already forgot his game) who didn't go out of bounds on their last play. Hopefully, we will see more of the Cowboys falling on their faces this season. What a bunch of losers.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

As commissioner I would ban the names of Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow from ever being spoken again. I would ban the word "elite" from being used. I would boot the entire Patriots franchise from the league  (hey Goddell already abuses and misuses his power...so why can't I??).  

On a more serious note....I would bring in a panel of former Hall of Fame receivers and maybe a few qbs so they can finally properly define what a "catch" is.

53647798.jpg

Well, I don't really have anything against Mark Sanchez.

20 minutes ago, Magog said:

I wonder what excuses Skip Bayless is going to make tomorrow for the Cowboys falling flat on their faces today against the Giants & for that wide receiver (I already forgot his game) who didn't go out of bounds on their last play. Hopefully, we will see more of the Cowboys falling on their faces this season. What a bunch of losers.

Williams.

I have to admit i didn't think the Giants would hold on. Especially after Joe Buck (hate him!) Reminded the audience that The Giants lost 5 games last season after holding the lead on the last 2 minutes.

Question for Cowboy fans. Have you guys really abandoned Romo in favor of Dak or is that media hype?

Edited by Morrigan2575

So many close games this week.  Great win by the Giants.  That was certainly a game we would have lost last year.  I'm really happy to see Victor Cruz back and getting into the mix of things (even got a salsa dance from him after a TD score). 

With that said, Prescott was pretty good IMO.  I'm happy we got this win, because I don't think we'll be so lucky the next time we play Dallas later on in the season.  His receivers (Dez included) dropped the ball (pun intended). 

Edited by FuriousStyles

Question for Cowboy fans. Have you guys really abandoned Romo in favor of Dak or is that media hype?

We KNOW Romo won't get us to the Promised Land.   At least Dak gives us hope.   IF everyone else on the team does their fracking job.   

#$&*!  And %*&#  and a few other words.   I am about ready to start cursing in other languages.   

I watched about five minutes of the game on a TV on a food truck outside First Niagara Arena in Buffalo whilst waiting to get in to AC/DC but I saw enough to see that Dez didn't catch that TD either and it was GREAT.  Dare I hope that 2015 is WAY WAY WAY in the rear view mirror?

Reminder,

Football Jesus is non-denominational and does shine his countenance on all YOUR choices - He doesn't care about your race, creed, religion, your favorite teams or the crappy bets you made last year.

And while he does love all 32 teams equally, he will often bestow a first down, gratuitous score, personal foul or "Just wide" on any team, on any sunday during the season - Limit ONE per customer - because he has to cover the spread and he just can do it..

• Love 4