Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I think Elway would lean more to Kap, who actually was successful and got to the Superbowl. RGIII is still kind of a wild card. 

The 9ers torpedoed themselves getting rid of Harbaugh. It's not like Kap suddenly lost all his skills. 

Last week, Mike Ditka made comments about Obama being a bad President and bad leader, and that he was supporting Trump, and this week ESPN demoted him and brought in Matt Hasselbeck to replace him.  I wonder if Hasselbeck's politics are anything like his sister-in-law's.

http://news.groopspeak.com/espn-host-started-talking-bad-about-president-obama-well-he-just-learned-his-fate/

Today's rumor is that Kaepernick is going to Cleveland.

• Love 1

I think Elway would lean more to Kap, who actually was successful and got to the Superbowl. RGIII is still kind of a wild card. 

The 9ers torpedoed themselves getting rid of Harbaugh. It's not like Kap suddenly lost all his skills. 

I think that Kaepernick may be the Broncos first choice. But it definitely looks like they may have some competition for him with possibly the Browns and the Jets. I remember reading reports from a little while back that mentioned that Kaepernick wanted to go to the Jets. Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets are having a tough time agreeing to a deal that will keep Fitzpatrick in New York. If Ryan decides to leave them, that would provide an opening for Kaepernick. I could also see Kaep being interested in the Broncos, which I think could be a good landing spot for him, or really just about QB.

I'm not sure what the Browns could give up that would satisfy the 49ers in return for Kaep. They are still holding onto Johnny Manziel in hopes of trading him, even for a late round pick. I don't see anyone really biting on that. But maybe if they packaged him with some picks  and/or maybe some combination of Haden/Thomas/maybe even Gordon, the 49ers might think about that. Chip did love Johnny in college, but I don't know. I think that Johnny may end up being cut tomorrow without a trade and be without a team for at least a bit.  I definitely don't think that Kaepernick would want to go to Cleveland.

I am interested in seeing how everything shakes out and seeing where everyone ends up. I want to see what happens with Kaep.  If RGIII doesn't end up in Denver, I hope he still lands in a good place. If the 49ers trade Kaepernick, maybe RGIII will end up in San Fran or maybe he will go to Dallas. St.Louis also doesn't have a long term answer at QB, there could be an opportunity for RGIII to possibly go there as well.

Edited by Jx223

I'm a Redskins fan and today, for old time's sake, I bought an RGIII t-shirt marked down from $32 to $10.  How times have changed.  I wish him well; I just hope he stays away from Twitter, wherever he goes. 

• Love 2

The 49ers have signed Thad Lewis.  I guess they figure Kaepernick is gone.

Interesting. Thad has bounced around quite a bit since the beginning of last season. He was with the Browns, Eagles and now 49ers, Maybe this is a sign that Kaep really will be leaving San Fran. Mike Silver reported that the 49ers and Broncos are trying to work out a deal, but nothing is set in stone yet. The Browns are also still in the mix.

Kap is absolutely insane if he goes anywhere but Denver. 

There was reports from a few weeks ago that mentioned he wanted to go to the Jets, but I think that the Broncos would be the best situation for him to step into. That would be a great opportunity for him. I definitely don't think he wants to go to a team like the Browns. They are in rebuild mode right now and have just lost and will continue to lose several members of the team.

In the past couple of days they have lost 5 players and that number will go up. There are rumors that Josh Gordon also wants to get out of Cleveland if he ends up getting reinstated. They also haven't added any big names/impact players or anybody in free agency so far. I don't see Kaepernick wanting to go to a situation like that.

Edited by Jx223

Last week, Mike Ditka made comments about Obama being a bad President and bad leader, and that he was supporting Trump, and this week ESPN demoted him and brought in Matt Hasselbeck to replace him. I wonder if Hasselbeck's politics are anything like his sister-in-law's.

http://news.groopspeak.com/espn-host-started-talking-bad-about-president-obama-well-he-just-learned-his-fate/

Didnt the CEO of Nascar (which only a short while ago outlawed the Confederate flag at stadiums) come out to support Trump too?

Now I understand Pres. Obama and the democrats in general might not be everyone's cup of tea. But how anyone, let alone someone in a position of power and presumably having some semblance of intelligence could ever actually vote for or endorse Donald Trump for president should have their citizenship revoked and deported like all the illegal immigrants Trump wants to toss out.

With that said, seriously speaking I dont think Ditka should have been demoted for his choice (however poor) in presidential candidate if thats the reason he was demoted. Whats the thinking behind that? Are people gonna tune out if they know one of the talking heads likes Trump?

• Love 1

Did Ditka get demoted because of his endorsement? Or did ESPN use that as a timely excuse to get Matt Hasselbeck on the panel?

Edited by xaxat

Did Ditka get demoted because of his endorsement? Or did ESPN use that as a timely excuse to get Matt Hasselbeck on the panel?

Probably both. His analysis has been deteriorating the past few years, so this was probably a good excuse.

I am ashamed to live in a country in which over 1/4 of the voters actually think Trump could be a good president. Can you imagine him during foreign diplomacy? He won't like what is going on and start calling people names, and likely be the racist douche we know him to be. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would love RG to go to Denver- he would do great there and he deserves to be somewhere that embraces him. He would have been nice as a Texan.

• Love 2

I would love RG to go to Denver- he would do great there and he deserves to be somewhere that embraces him. He would have been nice as a Texan.

It is now being reported that the Broncos have decided to trade for Mark Sanchez. I wonder if they will pick anyone else up along with him and have them compete? I had read last night that RGIII is interested in the Rams, so maybe he will end up there. I also read that Kaepernick actually is interested in going to Cleveland,so maybe the 49ers/Cleveland will make a trade for him. 

To be fair to us in the DMV, we did embrace him.  In fact, some here might have embraced him too much, certainly in the beginning, and treated him like he was the second coming.  Predictably, it went to his head somewhat.  If there's any blame to go around about his departure,  I'd put it mainly on Shanahan and Gruden, and RG himself, but not the fans.  Sure, there were a few that turned on him when things went sour, but I think the overwhelming majority of us are truly disappointed that things didn't work out for him here. 

• Love 2

Last week, Mike Ditka made comments about Obama being a bad President and bad leader, and that he was supporting Trump, and this week ESPN demoted him and brought in Matt Hasselbeck to replace him.  I wonder if Hasselbeck's politics are anything like his sister-in-law's.

They demoted him for that?  Really?

Why would anyone decent QB want to go to Cleveland?   The place is a dumpster fire.   Kaep would have been on his third coach in 5 years with SF.    How many coaches have had in Cleveland in that same time period?    It is not a good situation.

As for the Broncos getting Sanchez, welp so much Elway the football genius.   He went from Manning and winning the Super Bowl to Sanchez and blowing up the team in 2 months.   That might be a record.

• Love 2

Cleveland has dropped Manziel.

I know a lot of people are taking this news to dump all over him, but I hope he will get his life together. I also hope he works out/tries to stay in shape. He's supposed to be working out with Von Miller in the spring. They are close and I think that is a good thing.  I think that Von could be a good influence on him. I hope he does continue to play sports in some fashion. Whether it’s some type of amateur version of a sport/CFL/ or just playing sports for leisure. I think he’s better off staying active in some type of sport.  I think he will be even worse off than he already is, if he's not playing sports.   

Why would anyone decent QB want to go to Cleveland?   The place is a dumpster fire.   Kaep would have been on his third coach in 5 years with SF.    How many coaches have had in Cleveland in that same time period?    It is not a good situation.

As for the Broncos getting Sanchez, welp so much Elway the football genius.   He went from Manning and winning the Super Bowl to Sanchez and blowing up the team in 2 months.   That might be a record.

According to reports he likes Hue Jackson. People like Adam Schefter are saying he actually wants to play for Cleveland.  Maybe he does.  I don't think that Cleveland is the best place for him though. That team is being dismantled,a lot of the players are fleeing the team, and they aren't really attracting any big time free agents. I also think that Josh Gordon is going to to try and get out of there if he is reinstated.  I think he wants out of Cleveland too. 

Regarding Sanchez/Broncos, maybe Elway’s plan is to ultimately have him as a backup. Maybe he signed him because he just wants to get a QB on board for the time being. Truth be told, the Broncos could probably at least reach the playoffs again this upcoming season, with just halfway decent QB play.  Peyton didn’t play very well last year and they still won the Superbowl. I think that the team is strong enough to where they could carry a QB that isn't that great, if they had too.

But I think that Elway will sign someone else later on to either compete with Sanchez or take over as starter. It would be nice if he got someone who is decent/ who could be good for the team.

Edited by Jx223

Denver has to sign someone else either to compete as a starter or at the very least as a back up, if only for training camp. Or draft someone. They only have one other QB on the roster and he is a guy I have never heard of with literally zero experience (Siemen??? Something like that, I read it on ESPN). You need at least 3 guys for training camp, if not more.

We'll see how Osweiler does in Houston, as the starter. I think he will have a tough time. Houston's D is good, but it's not Denver. And now teams will be scheming and preparing for him. Have a whole offseason to study him and they will have the advantage of following him from the beginning of the season, game planning from the start, not trying to pick it up midseason. Makes a big difference.

Sanchez? Wow, that's a stretch. Not impressive. I though Elway would have somehow better in mind. The more I think about it the more I suspect they will be drafting someone.

Denver is losing some key players on D. ANd that offense was PATHETIC at times last year in ways that had nothing to do with having a 39 year old QB with almost no arm left. running game was not good most of the time.

On the TV front, NFL is going to start streaming games. These Thursday night games exist for one reason only...........to make them money in any and all ways possible.

So first the Thursday night games are on the NFL network. OK, I am not big on Thursday games, but fine, you are using it to get some subscribers, fine.

Then they start selling out the Thursday night games to the Networks for huge amounts of money. OK, great, now it just confusing which games will be on where and when, but whatever, NFL can do what it wants, and it does.

Finally to top it all off, now they are selling the Thursday night games to ONLINE sights to stream them as well. ANd the London games too. Really could it be more obvious Thursday night football is just the NFL's whore to sell out to the highest bidder for use in any way possible to make more money? NO ONE seems to like these games, fans or players. Now those games will be online, on the networks and on the NFL network.

I suppose you can argue its kind of like the NCAA tourney games, but those are a bunch of games played all at once with fractured audiences in different areas that want to see different games at different times, there is a NEED and a REASON for it there, beyond just trying to make money in any and all ways possible.

To be fair to us in the DMV, we did embrace him. In fact, some here might have embraced him too much, certainly in the beginning, and treated him like he was the second coming. Predictably, it went to his head somewhat. If there's any blame to go around about his departure, I'd put it mainly on Shanahan and Gruden, and RG himself, but not the fans. Sure, there were a few that turned on him when things went sour, but I think the overwhelming majority of us are truly disappointed that things didn't work out for him here.

Sorry, I should have said somewhere that the coaching staff will embrace him. It was obvious that the Skins fans supported him, and even after the last game he was out signing autographs and people were lining up.

Would love to see him in LA as a Ram.

• Love 1

I'm going to feel badly for whatever QB Cleveland drafts.  Sure, they'll make money but the mediocrity of Cleveland will no doubt permanently ruin their career.  Manziel was a dumpster fire before he got drafted but still...a quarterback plays football his entire life to end up in the NFL and they get picked up by the Browns.

Denver is going to suck next year.

Egad. I really don't want to know the political views of my sports commentators and analysts. Keep your views to yourself and focus on doing your job--being a sports authority. Granted, everyone has a right to a political opinion, but please don't tell me how you feel about gun control or gay marriage or Trump or President Obama. Whether I agree with you or not, it affects my ability to like you. 

• Love 5

I think the most surprising thing I learned yesterday is that Mark Sanchez doesn't have a girlfriend.

A good-looking guy like him? Maybe he's just very picky.

He's probably just a serial dater and not looking for someone just yet.

Read about that Steelers WR being suspended a year for violating the substance abuse policy. Made me sad that it seems to be about him being depressed. The NFL makes billions on these players- seems they should be paying for therapists for these young players.

I think the most surprising thing I learned yesterday is that Mark Sanchez doesn't have a girlfriend.

A good-looking guy like him? Maybe he's just very picky.

Wasn't he dating a 17-year-old girl at some point when he was with the Jets? Legal in NY but still frowned upon in many corners. If that's what he likes, better for his image that he stay single.

Edited by Dejana

Wasn't he dating a 17-year-old girl at some point when he was with the Jets? Legal in NY but still frowned upon in many corners. If that's what he likes, better for his image that he stay single.

He was dating that model, Kate Upton, a couple of years ago, I think. And the NFL Network showed pictures of him with Eva Longoria as well. There seems to be two main types of NFL player, when it comes to relationships: the guy who marries his college sweetheart and the guy who has a string of women he dates.

Tray Walker, a cornerback for the Ravens, has been critically injured in a motorcyle accident.   He just finished his rookie season.

It's horrible news, and I hope he recovers. But the guy was riding a dirt-bike with no plates, at night, wearing black clothing and no helmet. Sometimes you just have to shake your head at how foolish people can be.

He also didn't have his lights on. Hope he pulls through, and that people see this situation and realize how important it is to be safe no matter what you are doing, or who you are.

Edited by twoods

I don't think he had a death wish.  I think that like a lot of people his age, he thought was immortal.  Nothing will ever happen to me, right?  So very sad, even more so because of how easily it could have been prevented. 

• Love 2

The Colts are retiring Peyton Manning's number & building a statue honoring him outside of Lucas Oil Stadium (I guess like when the Chicago Bulls built a statue honoring Michael Jordan outside the United Center). And Peyton wants to have a 10th anniversary reunion of the 2006 Indianapolis Colts team, with which he won his 1st Super Bowl; it sounds like the Colts might help him make that happen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15006080/indianapolis-colts-honor-peyton-manning-retiring-jersey-building-statue

Edited by BW Manilowe

That poor family; Tray Walker's father died of a heart attack in 2014 (the family spread his ashes on his birthday, which was the day after Tray was drafted), and now this.

I don't think he had a death wish.  I think that like a lot of people his age, he thought was immortal.  Nothing will ever happen to me, right?  So very sad, even more so because of how easily it could have been prevented. 

I could not agree more.  When I look back through the fog to see what I did as a young person, I just shudder at times and marvel I'm still alive.  God bless this young man and his family.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

According to Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer, the Browns are thinking about possibly moving forward and signing RGIII to a contract. RGIII met with them twice this past weekend. I hope he does NOT sign with the Browns. I don't think that is a good landing spot for him. I think that he needs to go to a team that is more stable (like Broncos) or go somewhere like the Cowboys, where he might eventually get a shot a starter and will have a good O-line to help protect him.

He might start for Cleveland, if he signs there, but I could see that not working out well for him. That team has been dismantled and Cleveland has been a long suffering team. I'm also concerned he may get injured again behind the Browns O-line. I don't think that Cleveland is not the place for RGIII to try and revitalize his career.

RGIII needs to hold out for a better opportunity to come his way. Just about anyone is better than Cleveland right now.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I don't think so. The owners are looking at all of the gear teams like the Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors sell over there and really believe they can get a piece of that market.

It's the same reason the Jags gave a Chinese kicker a tryout even though he had no chance of making the team.

I don't think so. The owners are looking at all of the gear teams like the Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors sell over there and really believe they can get a piece of that market.

It's the same reason the Jags gave a Chinese kicker a tryout even though he had no chance of making the team.

But is there enough of a market for American football to justify the wear and tear on the players' bodies? They're talking about forcing 2 teams to make the long flight to China during a 17-week (16 game) season. This on top of the fact fact that they are already obligated to play a Thursday night game, which is already stressful for players. 

Increasing revenue is the only thing the league cares about. (Even when it comes to their "charitable" associations.)

They just tried to take $120 million from the players so I don't think they care about wear and tear for a single trip compared to the possibility of more money.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

The League had plans to go to China before.   THey scrapped them to concentrate on London.   Now that is pretty set they are looking to expand again.   Because "OMG Two BILLION Chinese people."    Except that ignores the fact most of that 2 billion will not be buying gear.   

As for RGIII, half the problem in DC was the lack of consistency in coaches, systems.  Going to Cleveland he will have the same problem.   He needs a stable program to let him develop.    Cowboys may have their issues but coaching changes for the sake of change isn't one of them.   I'd take him and his battered knees over Romo and his glass clavicle any day.