Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That was...stressful.

I'm not happy about the level of play. Russell needs to quit worrying about being a celebrity and quit worrying about Jesus and he needs to start worrying about some fundamentals. The O-line too. They didn't protect him nearly well enough. That game was won by the LOB.

• Love 1

Substitute the Giants with the Seahawks and the Bills with any team in the league and that's what happens almost every Sunday.

Joe Philbin may be in need of a job by days end this Monday.

So true on both accounts. Seahawks barely got penalized on obvious stuff, and there was so much offensive holding going on during Wilson's running out of the pocket throws that I rolled my eyes. Poor Calvin Johnson- just a great defensive play by Chancellor. Guess we see why he held out for more money.

• Love 1

The pic of the ref standing right there staring at the play (and still getting it wrong) is just hilarious. I mean, I cant say I knew definitively that there was a rule against batting the ball out of bounds, but as soon as I saw it happen I said that cant be legal. So I dont know how the ref doesnt have the same thought considering its actually his job to know the rules. At least, if he blows the whistle even if just on instinct he can gather with the other refs and hopefully 1 out of the 5 or however many there are would have known if it was a penalty or not. And if not, then hey "no penalty on the play, please set the game clock to xx:xx" and they move on. But to just stand there and do nothing? There's got to be some juju at that end of the Seahawks field.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Greg Hardy is a loathsome human being.

ETA, it's interesting listening to talk radio (Mike & Mike in this case) talking about how horribly Hardy handled the questions. I think Hardy handled the question exactly the way he wanted to. He sent a "Fuck All of You!" to the world.

He thinks he is Tony Montana right now.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7

A close though not terribly great Thursday night game

Hasselback looked pretty good. The frustrating thing for many Colts fans watching this is the way Pep Hamilton has called the plays these last two games with Hasselback is the way he should have been calling them with Luck all season.

3-2, 3 division wins with Luck missing two games and everything that has gone wrong so far, I will take it

Though not terribly hopeful about the pats game. Colts worked out Ahmad Bradshaw earlier in the week. He has a horrible injury history, but I am hoping they sign him before the Pats game. When he has been healthy, he has been great for the Colts offense.

Problem is the Colts pass rush is nonexistent. Brady will just tear them up

On the other hand the Colts OL looked great tonight, best they have looked all season. What on earth happened with Watt and Clowney? They looked like they were doubling Watt most of the night with a tight end.

• Love 1

Hasselbeck looked like he was about to pass out when he was being interviewed at the end of the game.   He could barely put a sentence together.    Thank goodness they have their "mini" bye so he can rest up and get well.

Mallett clearly lost the starting job to Hoyer last night.    Do the Colts not rush Luck back because Hasselbeck is doing better than he was running the offense?  Could Luck actually lose the starting job to Hasselbeck?

I only watched the game for one possession during the baseball rain delay but I swear there was a penalty on every down. One down had two penalties! Was the whole game like that?

Also found it interesting that Twitter was by far talking about football more than baseball. So even bad Thursday games get more chatter than anything.

One down had two penalties! Was the whole game like that?

Yes.  If something good happened for Houston, you could just about make bank that a flag was down.  The scary thing was that the commentators mentioned at least one play that should have been flagged, but wasn't (Colts were holding Watt).  With all the flags flying, it was scary to think the officials might actually be missing some.

Hasselbeck looked like he was about to pass out when he was being interviewed at the end of the game.   He could barely put a sentence together.    Thank goodness they have their "mini" bye so he can rest up and get well.

Mallett clearly lost the starting job to Hoyer last night.    Do the Colts not rush Luck back because Hasselbeck is doing better than he was running the offense?  Could Luck actually lose the starting job to Hasselbeck?

Luck is not losing his starting job to anyone.

Pep Hamilton starting calling the plays different to adjust for a 40 year old QB with less mobility and a bad line. Shorter drops, quicker throws, roll outs, more running. Plus Dwayne Allen was back as a blocker, they were using him to double up on watt most of the night, a smart coaching move.

The problem is most serious colts fans I know have been saying for 3-4 weeks this is the same game plan they should be using for Luck because of the bad OL. But they seemed to insist on continuing with a downfield vertical passing game longer drop backs despite a poor OL. They were finally forced to change because there was no way Hasselback could survive back there doing that.....as we saw Luck couldnt even survive that way long.

This should have been how the play calling was done from the beginning though. Much of this falls on coaching. ANd the fact they have played 2 bad teams in the last 5 days

• Love 1

A defensive end for the Bills was fined almost 30 grand for two offenses...8 thousand and change for head-butting Flowers from the Giants and 23 thousand and change for abusive language to an official.

I understand hitting is part of the game but I really don't get how violence can be a fineable offense but words cost more.

Everyone knows there's holding on every play. There has been since the beginning of football. Are the continual flags strictly due to this? We've established that penalties are up a lot this year. 

Shit. At this point, I'm not worried about his career or his foot. I just hope he survives. MRSA is a nasty superbug and it's only going to become more prevalent.

I'm trying to think positive. I'm well aware of the repercussions of this type of staph infection. I come from a family full of doctors and and nurses. I spent a year in nursing school but decided to switch to bus. admin.  

MRSA is a terrible thing - my aunt got a tiny spot of it on her arm following a bout with shingles and it was forever before it was gone.  She and her family were constantly using bleach to wipe down door handles, light switches, etc.  She and her husband slept in separate beds, her kids couldn't hug her!  There's been other teams with this issue - didn't Tampa have a serious MRSA outbreak?  NFL should use some of their billions and pay for regular professional cleanings of locker rooms, training rooms, etc.  

In breaking news, Aaron Rodgers is human.  Threw 2 picks today.  Fortunately for the Packers, Nick Foles had 4 INTs.  Foles will be seeing Clay Matthews in nightmares for a while.  

Browns win in OT in Baltimore.

McCown set a new franchise record- 457 yards.

I wonder what all those Browns players who anonymously  talked trash about McCown to TMZ are saying now.

Edited by xaxat

I'm still trying to decide if the result between the Bengals and the Seahawks was due to the Seahawks imploding in the 4th quarter or the Bengals taking 3 quarters to get their shit in order.

I don't know but I started the game resigned to a Seahawks loss and I'm pissed they got my hopes up and couldn't follow through.

• Love 1

I don't know but I started the game resigned to a Seahawks loss and I'm pissed they got my hopes up and couldn't follow through.

I actually thought the Bengals were going to lose going in because of all the years of disappointment they've heaped on us. Yeah, I'm still recovering from the decade of suck. After the 3rd quarter, I almost shut it off because I thought things were only going to get worse. But I'm glad I didn't, because that 4th quarter was awesome.

The sad thing is, no matter how well the Bengals play, there is a small section of the fanbase that will never stop wanting Lewis fired. They could win the Super Bowl and some will still call for his head. It sucks having to listen to some of my more obnoxious relatives completely ignore all the good and just bitch and moan about what a shitty coach he is and why can't we get this guy or that guy instead.

Dammit Redskins!  Oh well, at least Dallas lost.  Hee.

The Bengals is one of those teams that I don't care about one way or the other, but I'm happy for them and their fans and am especially glad that they beat Seattle.  

• Love 1
NFL should use some of their billions and pay for regular professional cleanings of locker rooms, training rooms, etc.

The NFL cares as much about the players as the federal government does about returning soldiers. 

• Love 4

Goddamit, Eli.  I know it's only your second INT of the season (and, I can't recall now, but it may be the first one wasn't your fault), but of all times ...

I think I need to step up my drinking during halftime.

USC implodes (and now Sark has been put on leave, hopefully to get whatever help he needs), OU loses to Texas, Seattle blows it, the Raiders are showing progress under Del Rio but still a bad team, and my G-Men ... this is going to be a long football season.

Because it's the Packers, that's why. Same reason why the Pats get away with picks every damn game, and the Giants getting away with obvious holds- no wonder Eli has been sacked four times this year so far?

• Love 1

Cmon, Bastet, the Giants are playing San Francisco.  You have nothing to worry about.

This season?  When the Giants try their best to hand games away in the fourth quarter?  There is no team against which I can relax.  That entire second half a was a nail biter.  When it came down to going for it on fourth and one or kicking the FG, I knew all the statistical reasons to kick the FG, but I also thought, "You know SF is going to score a TD on their next drive, so just go for it."

It all worked out in the end, but barely.  They have SUCH fourth (and sometimes third) quarter issues.  Against a team like the 49ers, okay, maybe they can still eke out a win.  But, again, with the long season.

Edited by Bastet

Browns win in OT in Baltimore.

McCown set a new franchise record- 457 yards.

I though that Josh did a great job today. I think that he's been playing well the past few weeks. I was concerned earlier in the game, when the defense was playing poorly that the Browns would lose. But I am glad that Josh hustled and helped the team get the win.. I also thought that TD pass that Gary Barnidge caught with his legs was an awesome catch.

I think that we had a nice day of games today, including several OT/very close games that came down to the wire. I had thought that Cincy would go 5-0, they look good and legit. Nice finishes in close games for the Falcons and Giants today as well.

I also thought that Tyrod Taylor was doing some nice things today as well, including scoring that 22 yard touchdown he did against the Titans.

Edited by Jx223

When Eli threw the almost-INT I turned off the TV because I couldn't bear to see if the Niner caught it. Also, I have to work and I was sleepy.

So glad it's not going to be a week of hearing how the Giants can't hold a lead.

Another narrative I'm tired of hearing about is how shit Peyton is. Whether it's true or not, they're 5-0 so the media can just shut up because they're the Denver Broncos, not the Denver Mannings and it's a team sport.

• Love 3

When Eli threw the almost-INT I turned off the TV because I couldn't bear to see if the Niner caught it. Also, I have to work and I was sleepy.

I flipped the channel thinking it was an interception and it was only because I was still checking the twitter feed for the game that I learned we still had the ball so I flipped back. Glad I did.

• Love 1

Another narrative I'm tired of hearing about is how shit Peyton is. Whether it's true or not, they're 5-0 so the media can just shut up because they're the Denver Broncos, not the Denver Mannings and it's a team sport.

I just think it's hilarious as a total turnaround from 5-10 years ago. The media spent so long fellating Manning and finding excuses for his poor postseason play, and for as much as they couldn't shut up about his ~awesomeness back in the day, now they can't stop tearing him down. It's comical.
  • Love 1

Did the Steelers get robbed 15 seconds?

I'm pretty sure the clock kept running after the Chargers kicked off.

ETA, I was right. My eyes weren't deceiving me.

Edited by xaxat

Definitely risky. I was watching the game in mute so had no clue why they would go for it with five seconds left. If Vick didn't get in, Tomlin would have been creamed. Chargers are at the end if another heartbreaker.

Definitely risky. I was watching the game in mute so had no clue why they would go for it with five seconds left. If Vick didn't get in, Tomlin would have been creamed. Chargers are at the end if another heartbreaker.

To quote Verne Lundquist: "Onions!"

Edited by AimingforYoko