Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Having a Bad Day

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I also think sometimes Kelli and Judy make these decisions like not taking Angela on Show Group despite making her a group leader, or cutting Jasmine as a three year vet, or saying there aren't enough great TCCs to get to a team of 36, to make them seem hard ass and all powerful, and in reality they are just poor reflections on their ability to judge and lead.

If Angela isn't good enough for show group, she isn't good enough to be teaching and entire group to dance and "assisting Judy with the choreography" as Kelli herself descrobed So they screwed up somewhere there.

Jasmine didn't gain weight. Her dancing was always mediocre, it didn't get worse. So if she wasn't good enough this year, she wasn't good enough the years prior when you took her.

If you can't get to 36, it's because you didn't put the right people in training camp to begin with.

Yes, yes and yes on all points!

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thought Megan who quit was high or on something? Her manner was way off. But even last week she showed that she had doubts and wasn't dedicated. I'm surprised they didn't cut her last week.

I looked at a picture of the rookie TCCs and there's 5 left to be cut.

I'm guessing

Kyndall, Kaleigh, and Simone will be next. Courtney and Taylor will probably stay until the end and then get cut.

I sure Angela came back to try for SG. Probably the same reason some former long term DCCs (Sydney, Trisha T) came back in hopes to become PB cheerleader.

Didn't care for the guest choreographer. She said she's 29 (in video posted ) but looks older IMO.

Kelli was pissed at Megan B (because she couldn't cut her) and said she'll never be back here. I'm sure she's now on Kelli's black list of girls that will NEVER come back ( Meagan F, Kenley, Ika, Carla, Vivian, etc). Kelli's thing about taking a TC spot away is kind of stupid IMO. Another girl could have gotten it and still got cut. EX: Both Michew sisters dropped out and they brought back Kaime who got cut anyway.

I noticed Kelli nor Judy did not encourage Karen to audition again next year. They usually say it when it's someone they really like.

Shelbi needs to stick with the TSD or maybe a lesser team (TLD, AAIA, DSIG).

Aren't there only 3 cuts? At the end of the show I'm sure Kellie said there were 39 and 3 to cut to 36, but she thought maybe they wouldn't take 36. Right now, the idea is that it is 36 girls on the team.

I wouldn't hire back a flaky person like Megan either. She did nothing to appear reliable. I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with her again.

The Minchew sister's were different because Kaime ended up getting there just way too late to catch up. Maybe she could have made it if she had been there from day one. Megan did take someone's spot; no idea if that person would have made the team, but they never got a chance.

The decision on who to cut and who to bring back to training camp depends on all the judges. The only time they ever over ruled them was the obvious exception for Danielle who had injured her foot in a way they knew would be healed in time for the season and they knew her presence was valuable to the team. They don't on their own decide who to cut. Remember Kelli has to answer to people who will question her decisions.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who thought Megan who quit was high or on something? Her manner was way off. But even last week she showed that she had doubts and wasn't dedicated. I'm surprised they didn't cut her last week.

I also found myself wondering if Megan was under the influence of drugs. Her behavior, speech, and facial expressions were just "off" in a way that can't be fully attributed to editing. Do they drug test the DCC/TCC? 

As for the whole Angela situation, I've been thinking about it, and I really think if I were Angela, this would make me re-evaluate whether I really wanted to finish out the year. The show group snub is personal. It's an indication of bigger problems. I am usually all for honoring commitments, but being the only group leader left out of show group would be a game changer. It's a huge, HUGE slap in the face. If they really didn't think she was ready for show group, that's a conversation that needed to take place in private before the announcement, considering her circumstances. Like someone else said, if she's good enough to be a group leader, she should be part of show group, and if she's not good enough to be in show group, she has no business being a group leader. The fact that they took three rookies over a group leader (the equivalent of a DCC captain) is incomprehensible. It shows a total lack of respect for Angela and lack of confidence in her ability to fulfill her role as a leader on this team. If I were Angela, I would ask for a meeting with Kelli and Judy, and then tell them that based on this decision, I'd come to the conclusion that it would be mutually beneficial to part ways now and I'll be resigning as a group leader and team member.

Edited by blairwaldorf

Just skimmed through season 6, episode #1. Angela said she graduated with a Bachelors in chiropractic science. Don't know if she did that while being a DCC.

Have any of the girls cut (so far) auditioned for any other teams? I know Shelbi went back to the TSD.

This is a huge pet peeve to me about DCC, Angela has a masters degree and yet she now works at a Lorna Jane store (like Lululemon), Jennifer Alexis worked in finance in DC and then worked as a Zumba instructor while she was a DCC. Girls come in with degrees and great jobs and I assume it's too much to do both but it kind of takes away from the whole beauty and brains thing.
  • Love 5

How in the world did Megan B even make it to training camp??? There's no way she did well in panel interviews; she can't hold a conversation. She seems either stoned or just completely stupid when she talks. She just sits there with that dopey smile, not seeming to comprehend what anyone is telling her, and if she does contribute to the conversation she's not able to express herself clearly. I agree with everyone that she quit because she knew they were cutting her and she wanted it to look like it was her choice. Good riddance.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with the rookie class this year. Megan C. is really the only one who I think is 100% the total DCC package. And yes, that includes Holly. I know most people seem to love her, but in my opinion she has the dance skills and personality but not the look. 

With all the venom that Kelli spews, and the perfection necessary to make the team, why wasn't the state of Megan B's mouth, particularly her large teeth, even mentioned? I think the dopey look was made worse because of it, but the again, you never know about Kelli/Judy's preferences. You're not the only one thinking this crop of rookies isn't stellar. Did you hear Kelli say she's ready to this year with fewer than 36? Maybe bad picking at auditions?

I also found myself wondering if Megan was under the influence of drugs. Her behavior, speech, and facial expressions were just "off" in a way that can't be fully attributed to editing. Do they drug test the DCC/TCC?

As for the whole Angela situation, I've been thinking about it, and I really think if I were Angela, this would make me re-evaluate whether I really wanted to finish out the year. The show group snub is personal. It's an indication of bigger problems. I am usually all for honoring commitments, but being the only group leader left out of show group would be a game changer. It's a huge, HUGE slap in the face. If they really didn't think she was ready for show group, that's a conversation that needed to take place in private before the announcement, considering her circumstances. Like someone else said, if she's good enough to be a group leader, she should be part of show group, and if she's not good enough to be in show group, she has no business being a group leader. The fact that they took three rookies over a group leader (the equivalent of a DCC captain) is incomprehensible. It shows a total lack of respect for Angela and lack of confidence in her ability to fulfill her role as a leader on this team. If I were Angela, I would ask for a meeting with Kelli and Judy, and then tell them that based on this decision, I'd come to the conclusion that it would be mutually beneficial to part ways now and I'll be resigning as a group leader and team member.

I don't understand how they make these decisions and I think group leader is different than show group. The show made it appear that her poor decision in her dance with the twerking as well as her frequently turning down appearances were the reasons she wasn't chosen? The problem is we don't know if the other girls always cancel or never cancel appearance opportunities. It is really one sided and not fair to her.

I agree completely that not telling veterans in advance is just a bad look for the team. It does nothing to build loyalty or trust from the girls. In addition to show group, I think for finals, they should do something to protect the veterans who aren't returning,instead of leaving them to find out with everyone else. They could announce returning veterans first, or something. Don't make these girls who have worked so hard for your team for a year or more wait until the last five names are called.

It's really humiliating. I've worked in jobs where my superiors make Kelli look like the kindest person on Earth, and even they would never humiliate a long term employee by cutting them publicly with no warning and no consideration for their well being.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 2

This was a very uncomfortable episode. I figured the reason Karen got cut was because of how stocky she looked in the uniform and not really looking great doing their style. 

As far as Angela and show group, I think it's pretty evident why she didn't make it. There were better dancers. However, as a group leader, it has to be a huge slap in the face. Not sure why she skipped out on appearances though; that was likely one of the key reasons as well.

• Love 1

Deer in Headlights Megan has appeared completely ticked off and on the verge of screaming for two episodes now. I guess she didn't like the critique, and that's her prerogative, but Kelli is spot on that quitting was an offensive move. Passive aggressive, too, and they don't need that toxicity *cough* Chelsea *cough* It did crack me up that K&J, especially Judy, just can't fathom why anyone wouldn't shake in their boots at K&J's presence, and put anything before the DCC.

Anatomy and Physiology is a very time-consuming class full of a lot of memorization, reading, labs, etc. It's intense, and when I was in college, was a 5 hour class. During summer, it was 5 days a week from 8am to noon, and then 2 hours of lab per week. I think it would be super difficult to take during summer, and pile on TC, and it would be nearly impossible, BUT how far were they into camp before she signed up? A&P was her excuse to quit. They'll never let her in the door again.

Show group tryouts: Do they have ANY vocalists now? who sings the anthem at games?

Never would've guessed it, but Lacey impresses me the most. That girl has perfect feet and mad skills. Melissa IS severe - meaning she just absolutely attacks and extends every move with a lot of power. Holly is very good, too, but looked to me like she she sicled her feet a little during some leaps. They're so enamored with her, that it makes me want to dig for flaws. Mary reminds me of a more delicate America Ferreira. 

Kaleigh looks past her prime compared to the other girls. Kat - I think she's articulate and gorgeous, but I also think she's a little bit noodley, and I want to straighten her elbows and wrists. Honestly, I like her, but I think Kelli kept her so she could say they had an Olympian on the team. Robin's switch leap - especially after learning she has a STEEL ROD in her back, was extra impressive. 

Karen just looked too 'little girl' to me. I think she would've benefited from maybe shorter hair or more layers. Her face is just so young looking. Also - if they want a variety of heights, why don't they consider some 'petite' boots? If they're custom made, the bootmaker can easily make a few pairs with a shorter shaft. It would still be in proportion to the girls, so it wouldn't look 'off.'

Angela, Angela. They are definitely mad at Angela, or at least over her, but can't find a reason to cut her. I've always thought she was a little bit 'odd' looking, but very striking, and at solos, she looked slightly heavy. If she's turning down mandatory volunteering, has weight issues, and just seems 'over it,' I'm surprised she stays and they let her stay. I guess she's honoring her commitments, going for that 5 year ring, and they don't have anyone better to knock her out of camp.Is her husband here or in Australia?  Maybe they want America's Sweethearts to actually BE American now.

While we're at it, Jessica seems off her game, too.

Edited by thewhiteowl
deleted spoiler

This is a huge pet peeve to me about DCC, Angela has a masters degree and yet she now works at a Lorna Jane store (like Lululemon), Jennifer Alexis worked in finance in DC and then worked as a Zumba instructor while she was a DCC. Girls come in with degrees and great jobs and I assume it's too much to do both but it kind of takes away from the whole beauty and brains thing.

Real 9-5 jobs aren't flexible enough for The DCC schedule. You need jobs you can leave and forget about. You won't be able to answer that email at 11pm cause you're probably still at practice

Edited by Beana8

I'd think Angela's dance ability is just as good as several of the girls selected - yeah, Melissa, Jennifer, Lacey, etc., are definitely top notch, but all 17 of those girls are not significanly better than Angela (she wouldn't be a GL if they were) - and for a 4 year GL vet, I'd really hope not making show group comes down to some ill placed twerking. I watched it again and it was actually the two other ladies there judging (not Kitty, not Jackie, Not K&J) who were saying the negative things about Angela not standing out and turning down appearances, so maybe they are the ones that voted against her making it.

• Love 2

Haven't they said that Show Group is for girls with more technical ability?  I like Angela but haven't ever thought that her dancing was outstanding although she a really good DCC.  Does that make sense??  She's tons of fun to watch and her squad dances are on point, but I think we can all agree that you don't have to be the greatest dancer to be on the squad.  You need to be able to perform in the DCC style, be attractive and in shape, and be charming and articulate. She ticks all those boxes but a dancer on par with Melissa and Holly?  Oh no.  That's why I think she's a great group leader but not necessarily show group material.  Of course YMMV!

• Love 3

I'm not entirely convinced that this whole show isn't rigged... I watched the office scene of Megan B over a couple of times.  If you watch it again, you'll hear Kelli and Judy say that Megan B still wants to do something in the entertainment industry, but you'll notice that they never show what Megan saying that.  They are cutting and splicing the segments together to suit their needs.  I think there was a lot more to that conversation.  Also, I really don't think they ever intended to cut her.  We've been following all the girls that they are cutting from the beginning.  Megan B, on the other hand, just shows up in Episode 5 and then in Ep. 6 has a few cut and spliced scenes and then is cut... No wonder her response seem so WEIRD.  Pretty sure we're just not hearing the whole thing. It's all a big fake!

If Angela doesn't have time or has conflicts with appearances, how is she going to handle all the extra show group practices and appearances? Also, Kelli, and especially Judy, expect them to cherish and treasure every second as a DCC with all either hearts. If they think Angela just wants show group so she can check a box off a list, and not ooh and ahhh like it's the most important thing on the planet, they're not going to choose her. 

I haven't gotten a good feeling these past two episodes. I don't know how else to explain it. I didn't finish watching the last episode until yesterday morning so I felt it was too late to post anything for that thread. I thought emotions were a little more raw and exposed than previously such as the one girl who shook her head when Kitty entered the room. I liked when KaShara was honest about weighing in when she was concerned about body image, and then Holly M was upset for being called out about her weight too. And then with this episode, the whole debacle with Angela, I could see how some of these ladies eventually are "over it". If KaShara and Holly make the team, I wonder by their 2nd year, would they call it quits. (Would Holly even make the team if she continues to struggle with weight?) Although we don't know the reason why Hannah acted the way she did, maybe some posters were correct in saying she was "over it" too because of the weight issues. I am a Chelsea-apologist so I do believe that she was tired of the whole weight thing.

I also think the favoritism is very blatant this time around. Who did Judy roll her eyes at the other week? Was it Shelbi? I think that's the first time I ever seen her do that before. Usually she just yells. I wanted to see more of Karen, but they always skipped over her. Even though she got called into the office the previous week, they cut away after she left the office. Usually they follow the girl entirely out into the lot. They didn't follow her entirely to meet the girls outside after she was cut either. Even though they did give her background, they were abrupt with her editing. I wonder if they didn't like her in general. When they complained how thick Vivian's thighs were and her boots were high up on her legs, I thought Mackenzie Lee fit that category, too, with the thicker thighs, and higher boots, but they never said anything. Karen did look a little strange in the uniform, and at first it looked like her shorts were higher up on her hips than the other girls. They were like briefs. Maybe I'm wrong? Otherwise, even though she was who I would've voted for the fan favorite, I was skeptical about her after the tweet she sent to Kelli before TC. I hoped she wouldn't embarrass herself. I was glad to see she was really sweet and handled herself well after cut. 

Most students I know who are taking the A & P ABSOLUTELY know it's a tough class, tough to the point of anywhere from half to three-quarters of the class in any given quarter/semester can flunk out. The standards are rigorous for both classes (it's taught as a two-part class in my area) because it's a requirement for so many medical programs at so many of our local colleges (and we have at least four four-year colleges and two two-year colleges) and is a five-credit class.  I heard it explained as "for every hour in class per day, study two hours outside" and, for the A & P class "for every hour in class per day, study four or more hours outside".   I don't know how other schools do it, but I know a lot of students often sign up for classes up to two months ahead of the quarter starting (more if you have to apply to the school and go through all the admissions requirements AND do any pre-reqs for that particular class) as well so for Megan to audition for the DCC, knowing that she might be taking this class on top of everything else she was doing, was not her best decision, espcially if she wanted to make the squad.  At the least, wait until the Fall quarter/semester to see if you made the squad or not.  If you did, you could be studying while stretching and using the information you learned on your own body (as in trying to identify the pieces and parts and how everything is connected, etc).  If not, you can put in all that free time studying.

• Love 2

My two cents about Angela. Yes, she is a group leader and has been with the team for five years does not mean she should get things handed over to her. I am not saying she not a good dancer, but imo, there are girls on the team who are better dancers. Nicole was an assistant group leader and group leader last year, but she did not make Show Group. Danielle is a four year vet and assistant group leader but she was not chosen for Show Group. And yes, Angela was upset, but she should have put her feelings aside, not put a witch face on, and show Kelli and Judy want she is made of instead of saying I am having a bad day in defense of her bad dancing. I also do not think Judy and Kelli was out to get her or make an example of her. If they did not care for her at all, she would not have made group leader this year and assistant group leader last year. Group leader or assistant group leader is a big honor, and imo, Show Group is nice, but a group leader has more of a chance to shine within the DCC organization. It is a big responsibility and a honor. She has a lot to be proud of and being on the team for five years is amazing.

And my two cents on Holly Marie. She reminds me a lot of three year vet Kandi Harris Mahon. Both are cute talented dancers.  They may not have the typical DCC body, but they are adorable and can dance like there is no tomorrow.

I find Megan B so awkward that I cannot watch her segments without cringing. Her "I have to graduate, so I'm quitting" was bs. If that was the case, why did she say before she went in that she wants to stay at training camp, but she can only do what she can do. Why did she tell Kelli and Judy that she would work on it when they critiqued her during practice. There was no mention of a class then. She just came off looking extremely immature IMO. Not a good look for her. 

Too bad about Karen, but I agreed with her getting cut this year. I think she's cute but needs a different cut and style for her hair with how her face is shaped. She looked much better in the solo clips where her hair was up. 

I'm not sad to see Shelby go. She was just never that likeable to me. She's a pretty girl, but her dancing was super stiff, and she kind of annoyed me with her overuse of the word, "definitely." I hate that she quit her job, but it seemed like a dumb move. It's one reason why I'm rooting for Kyndall. I like that she said she wouldn't give away her career for training camp. 

Was Nicole Bulcher on show group? I know she was a group leader as well. Generally I agree though with the sentiment that if someone is good enough to be a group leader, they should be good enough for show group. I can see both sides on whether or not it's fair to hold her decision to turndown appearances against her for show group. On one hand, she still made the team and was made a group leader, so it's not anything that hurt her generally with DCC, and if show group requires extra performances, why shouldn't someone's past appearances availability be a factor. On the other hand, it's unfair if the girls don't know ahead of time that this is something that can hurt them for show group. Regardless, they could have pulled Angela aside and told her beforehand. I'm sure its embarrassing to be the only group leader who isn't on show group.  

I also found the choreographer to be obnoxious. I don't need to see her again. 

Nicole was never on show group.  However, not being on show group doesn't mean you are excluded from all the travel opportunities SG gets to do... didn't she go to the UK with a handful of other girls?

I thought it was silly they talked about their USO tours on this episode and showed pictures from the variety show they don't even do on tour anymore.  I know SG learns a bunch of extra dances and routines, but when do they actually perform them other than at the "Meet The Team" event?

Two things stood out to me in this episode:

- The fact that Kelly and Judy were SO FLABBERGASTED that someone might quit rather than be cut.

- When one of them (I don't remember which) commented at the photoshoot that they hate telling someone they're too skinny. So, what, telling people they're "thick" is nbd, but heaven forbid you suggest they're too skinny!!

I haven't had a good feeling yet this entire season since finals. It feels tilted downhill ever since training camp started. It's been very very rushed, and overly serious to the point of frantic... we're getting snippets of this and that but we don't know anyone. And all the TCCS this season seem to fall into one of two categories : professional grade top1%, or underdog Longshot struggler, with nothing in between.

Are there any TCCS this season who are not show group material perhaps, but still good enough to get on the team with more joy than agony? Girls like Danielle and Jasmine were way back when?

This season I feel a catty bitchy vibe from J and K, complete with heavy favoritism, mocking, and an overall lack of humility epecially coming from Kelly, even though she constantly rides the girls to be humble at all times.

It made me sick the way that guest choreographer attacked Angela, and her coaches did not have her back at all. Angela looks changed this year. The giggly young woman she was 5 years ago appears to be sad and overly serious now. Who can blame her if she wants out after all that crap??

• Love 4

I also think sometimes Kelli and Judy make these decisions like not taking Angela on Show Group despite making her a group leader, or cutting Jasmine as a three year vet, or saying there aren't enough great TCCs to get to a team of 36, to make them seem hard ass and all powerful, and in reality they are just poor reflections on their ability to judge and lead.

If Angela isn't good enough for show group, she isn't good enough to be teaching and entire group to dance and "assisting Judy with the choreography" as Kelli herself descrobed So they screwed up somewhere there.

Jasmine didn't gain weight. Her dancing was always mediocre, it didn't get worse. So if she wasn't good enough this year, she wasn't good enough the years prior when you took her.

If you can't get to 36, it's because you didn't put the right people in training camp to begin with.

Maybe Megan B was one they were counting on, but she quit.

I don't think group leader and show group are the same. Show group may have some amazing technical dancers who aren't the best teachers/leaders, and group leaders may have excellent leadership skills, and be able to explain things well, but aren't the best technical dancers.

Jasmine did gain weight. Her dancing was also always mediocre for DCC, but still better than most pro dancers. She didn't get 'worse' but the other candidates were better than Jasmine's best this year. 

• Love 3

I sent a twitt to Miss Kitty about all the girls trying out for Show Group (is it required for TC candidates and vets.) She said it's optional 2B considered but all go through the process #testingtough then U can show additional talents 4 consideration.

Why does Kitty say these girls are choosing between Broadway and DCC! Really Kitty! Everyone knows DCC style dancing and Broadway style dancing are totally different. Hands, feet, body placement totally different. Who is she trying to kid?

• Love 3

Regarding the scene from next week, go Kyndall! She is really growing on me.  She has such a sweet, naturally pretty look (LOVE her hair) and just seems very mature and professional.  Loved the glimpse of her personality with the "you'll see it, you'll be like omg! there she is! she finally showed up!"  Just cute.  Of course Kelli just sits there like, ummm ok.  God bless Kyndall for REALLY putting in extra effort though to get noticed. 

Have we seen ANYTHING yet of Chantal?! Like, anything?? I can't even recall glimpses of her in the background. She must not have signed any waivers lol  Amy L has been only glimpsed so far too.  They need to have one episode of just introducing the girls, like how the Bachelor introduces candidates lol 

• Love 2

VintageJ

Yest. 8:13 pm

Megan B seems to be the victim of thin lips and crowns or something from the dentist. I've got crowns and they have altered my lips and smiling somewhat because they seem to push out some. I have full lips but if yours are thin, they can seem to be stretched if that makes any sense

As a dentist this shocks me. I have never made a crown (or veneer for that matter) that has done that, crowns should not affect the position of the lip. Veneers on the other hand could do that as it is building up the tooth more, but that should be assessed at the treatment planning stage.

What was with all the shots of the full moon? I was expecting a werewolf.

In the past they have said show group was for the best technical dancers AND the most powerful and although they have never actually said it I guess a good singer would get a free pass. Else how would you explain Cassie? Certainly NOT the most technical.

• Love 1

1- Megan B's face scared me. Her teeth were too big and her eyebrows were drawn on too thin and a bit crooked. She was also full of shit about quitting to graduate. 

2- Karen also has a weird face, but she's still cute in her own way. Too bad she just doesn't have the body type to be a DCC.

3- Robin is amazing for someone with a rod inside of her. I would have never guessed!

4- I don't think it's horrible that Angela didn't make show group. If she can't be reliable to make her own personal appearances, how can they rely on her to be there whenever show group travels? She didn't even make it on the calendar trip this year. We don't know why she didn't and obviously she still made the team and group leader, but that's something big to miss. We don't know all the politics of DCC, but I'm sure show group is not something they take lightly and there are good reasons behind their decisions.

5- I love this season because I feel like I'm seeing so much more on everyone in training camp. There has never been a season where we were introduced to every rookie, but I feel like I've been introduced to most people so far. I also feel like this season has a lot less pointless fillers than previous seasons. We are getting packed, quality episodes. The last time I loved a season was season 7.

• Love 1

I have never seen the point of Melissa’s mentoring, for the show or the TCCs themselves, until now. She was great! First of all, she looked really pretty. Wearing makeup tells us that you made an effort, so that was nice to see. She also gave really good feedback and was actually helpful, I thought. Finally!

I am so impressed with Robin. It’s absolutely amazing that she can dance like that with a rod in her spine. What an interesting story! I would to learn more about her background, how she was able to dance with the scoliosis, etc. Also, she’s friggin adorable.

So the short girl, Karen I think, was too short. Do we know how tall she is? Maybe they need to just set a height requirement like the Rockettes do, or make all the finalists try on the boots before announcing the TCCs, because six weeks into training camp is a little late to decide someone is too short for the boots to be a DCC. 

I also don’t get what Kitty meant by Melissa’s dancing being “severe.”

I would love a SG special. One hour of dancing, not part of this series. They could show whole routines, get some guest stars. It would be sparkly and fabulous!

Edited by Law Mom

It honestly didn't sound like an insult to me. I think she just meant that Melissa is always intense. I don't watch her and think "gosh she's so adorable" like I would with Holly, but she's still an incredible dancer.

I loved seeing Robin, even if it was for a few seconds. She's so young I think she has the potential to get better and better -- I could totally see her as a group leader someday.

• Love 2

Yay for showing us Robin! She's awesome.

I like Angela and it makes me sad to see her upset in this episode. However, twerking was a bad move! Nicole and Angela went to London last year despite not being on SG, so she's gotten to do some cool stuff.

• Love 2

I'm not entirely convinced that this whole show isn't rigged... I watched the office scene of Megan B over a couple of times.  If you watch it again, you'll hear Kelli and Judy say that Megan B still wants to do something in the entertainment industry, but you'll notice that they never show what Megan saying that.  They are cutting and splicing the segments together to suit their needs

I agree about the rigging - I think some of the candidates are kept on solely as cannon fodder for the TV show. The organization already knows which candidates will probably make it (as expected). But for some reason, they think we want to watch the endless drama of whether someone will make it. I think some of the candidates become frustrated with being used this way. Then Kelli and Judy are offended when some of them show their frustration. Megan B. clearly had had enough, and Angela was publicly humiliated but trying to hold it together as the camera stalked her for reaction shots. The candidates have a right to have realistic emotions and make decisions that are best for them - they are not robots.

There's a lot of hypocrisy, too. Cassie clearly was not DCC quality, yet she skated through. They pretend to emphasize education and careers, yet don't really provide an environment that enables either (long hours, minimal pay). They expect perfect performance and behavior from the candidates, calling them out for every infraction, yet we frequently see snarky, mean Kelli, Judy and Kitty whose critiques are often vague and meaningless.

I realize the series is about making the team, but I wish they'd tone down the nasty stuff and the fake deliberations (why would they consider someone so short her boots swallow her, or someone who cannot kick?). I loved seeing show group auditions, makeovers, wardrobe fittings, and even learning the choreography.

This latest season seems especially bad. I think the tone of the show has gotten away from them and they need to re-boot. Less snarky judgment, more fun content.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3

I'm not entirely convinced that this whole show isn't rigged... I watched the office scene of Megan B over a couple of times.  If you watch it again, you'll hear Kelli and Judy say that Megan B still wants to do something in the entertainment industry, but you'll notice that they never show what Megan saying that.  They are cutting and splicing the segments together to suit their needs.  I think there was a lot more to that conversation.  Also, I really don't think they ever intended to cut her.  We've been following all the girls that they are cutting from the beginning.  Megan B, on the other hand, just shows up in Episode 5 and then in Ep. 6 has a few cut and spliced scenes and then is cut... No wonder her response seem so WEIRD.  Pretty sure we're just not hearing the whole thing. It's all a big fake!

But, wasn't Megan one of the 4 or 5 TC rookies that K/J specifically asked Melissa to mentor?  To me that indicates that there were some problems....wasn't there a scene during one of the practices where they mention that she's "on the bubble"?  Or was that one of the interviews that they edit in later?  I can't remember. 

1- Megan B's face scared me. Her teeth were too big and her eyebrows were drawn on too thin and a bit crooked. She was also full of shit about quitting to graduate. 

4- I don't think it's horrible that Angela didn't make show group. If she can't be reliable to make her own personal appearances, how can they rely on her to be there whenever show group travels? She didn't even make it on the calendar trip this year. We don't know why she didn't and obviously she still made the team and group leader, but that's something big to miss. We don't know all the politics of DCC, but I'm sure show group is not something they take lightly and there are good reasons behind their decisions.

I thought Megan B. was pretty -- in kind of a Marcia Brady throwback way (showing my age).  Personally, I don't think there's anything scary about her looks -- I thought she was actually one of the more attractive TC rookies.  

I don't think it's horrible that Angela didn't make Show Group either (certainly, as others have pointed out, she's not the only 3+ year veteran not to make SG).  However, it was kind of mean of MTT to set her up for such a public failure on the show....showing footage of Angela talking about how making SG was the reason she came back for a 5th year, then the judges' negative comments during her tryout, and then finally zooming in on her face when they were announcing who made SG at the next practice.  The only thing I could think was either (1) they really don't like her and therefore have no problems embarrassing her on the show, or (2) this is foreshadowing for something coming up in a later episode (I remain blissfully spoiler-free, so I have no idea who ultimately ended up making the team).

It honestly didn't sound like an insult to me. I think she just meant that Melissa is always intense. I don't watch her and think "gosh she's so adorable" like I would with Holly, but she's still an incredible dancer.

I didn't think it was an insult. I took "severe" to be a synonym for "fierce," perhaps.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 2

I realize the series is about making the team, but I wish they'd tone down the nasty stuff and the fake deliberations (why would they consider someone so short her boots swallow her, or someone who cannot kick?).

Just like Kelli and Judy said Megan wasted a spot when she knew she was going to quit, it would have been awesome if Karen said "you could see that I'm short, why did you take me into TC when you knew the boots would swallow me?"

• Love 3

VintageJ

Yest. 8:13 pm

Megan B seems to be the victim of thin lips and crowns or something from the dentist. I've got crowns and they have altered my lips and smiling somewhat because they seem to push out some. I have full lips but if yours are thin, they can seem to be stretched if that makes any sense

As a dentist this shocks me. I have never made a crown (or veneer for that matter) that has done that, crowns should not affect the position of the lip. Veneers on the other hand could do that as it is building up the tooth more, but that should be assessed at the treatment planning stage.

In the past they have said show group was for the best technical dancers AND the most powerful and although they have never actually said it I guess a good singer would get a free pass. Else how would you explain Cassie? Certainly NOT the most technical.

Thanks Silverleaf. Maybe it was just mine, but they did seem to push out more.

Am I the only one who would like a bit of background on some of the other decision-makers in the DCC management? Kelli has clearly been having some kind of rough time with her own weight, which must make it difficult to look for every square inch of extra fat on the TCCs. Also, is anyone else curious about how they the DCC are reacting to the pressure to start paying cheerleaders for their time?

I totally agree that the treatment of Angela was horrible, but she could have handled it a bit better. Adding insult to injury, the visiting choreographer was quite cruel. There is a tradition of nastiness in the world of dance instruction that isn't peculiar to the DCC, and that woman was an example of it.

I have always loved Angela, but the audition was not her best. We of course cannot know how may appearances she refused, but I imagine that given the time the show MTT spent on her, she became a favorite and was probably one of the women DCC wanted to go on appearances for that reason.  We don't know why she didn't do the calendar shoot, but that is a big deal too I'm sure.  

What I thought was inexcusable was  (a) making the girls wait for the announcement.  I thought every other year they announced it that night (even though it kept the girls waiting).  Then they announce it at the start of rehearsal and don't give those (like Angela) any time to shake off their disappointment before (b) throwing in an in-your-face guest choreographer.  Yes, as a performer Angela has to leave personal baggage behind but SHE JUST LEARNED SHE WASN'T ON SHOW GROUP.  There was no time (even driving to the stadium) to decompress or process that. Let the girl be human.  And then © Kelli and Judy should have called Angela in. And not to criticize her, but to build her up again or at least explain.  And it shouldn't have been on camera.  For that one, maybe I'm being unfair and they did that....but based on the hard edge of this season, I think not.

When I watched the show and not just the clip, I reconsidered Kitty's comment of "intense" about Melissa....I do think it was a compliment.  It really could not have been anything else -- that girls is a "fireball".   Sorry.  Had to be done.

Whiteduck, you expressed my feelings about the tone and pace of this show perfectly.  It is too rushed and frantic ....why can't we see more of the dance?  I feel we get these quick montages or short bursts and then nothing.  However, I think they are showing more of the backstories of the TCC candidates.I hope we see the rest in the upcoming weeks.

I didn't mean to imply that because Angela is a group leader, she should have a free pass into show group, but I do think that she should have been given extra consideration and if they really had such serious concerns about her level of commitment and availability, there needed to be a conversation with her to address that before a decision was made. If Angela was told these appearances were "optional," then she shouldn't be penalized for declining them. Maybe she would be willing to devote more time to appearances or trips for show group, but until they put her on show group wasn't comfortable taking the time off work. 

I also want to add that missing the calendar shoot may not have been her choice. I know that when Melissa Rycroft tried to quit and then changed her mind, they told her they'd let her come back but she wouldn't be allowed to go on the calendar shoot. If Angela did decide later in the game to come back for a victory lap season, it's very possible that Kelli and Judy told her she couldn't participate in the calendar shoot. 

• Love 1

I also think the favoritism is very blatant this time around. Who did Judy roll her eyes at the other week? Was it Shelbi? I think that's the first time I ever seen her do that before. Usually she just yells.

I think the favoritism and unfairness has always been there, but this is entertainment. They're not being drafted into the military and no one's future or life depends on who leadership likes the best. Some girls get cut for weight, others are warned and given food/training. Some vets are advised to reconsider if they should try to come back (not flat out told they'll be cut, but 'encouraged to think'), while others are given no warning. Some are 'too noodly' or 'don't appear focused' while others are just 'flexible or need some time.' 

Regarding the scene from next week, go Kyndall! She is really growing on me.  She has such a sweet, naturally pretty look (LOVE her hair) and just seems very mature and professional.  Loved the glimpse of her personality with the "you'll see it, you'll be like omg! there she is! she finally showed up!"  Just cute.  Of course Kelli just sits there like, ummm ok.  God bless Kyndall for REALLY putting in extra effort though to get noticed. 

Have we seen ANYTHING yet of Chantal?! Like, anything?? I can't even recall glimpses of her in the background. She must not have signed any waivers lol  Amy L has been only glimpsed so far too.  They need to have one episode of just introducing the girls, like how the Bachelor introduces candidates lol 

Chantal who? Is she the one I keep seeing with curlier hair, which I love, and yes, we need to see more.

Kitty showed up. Almost werewolf, and Kitty Jr. (that obnoxious choreographer who kept ending her sentences with, yeah? Kitty wannabe.)

Showgroup: my take on who they choose factors in 1) technical talent , then 2) extra skills (singing, tumbling, really really attractive), 3) great speakers/brand ambassadors who reflect diversity, then those who have the time to commit to it. 

Some girls have the whole overall package - Holly and Jacie (not sure if they sing, but those two look like live Barbies). Very technical - Lacey, Melissa, Holly. Great speakers/instructors/brand ambassadors - Jennifer, Jenna, Mary, etc. Fun speakers - Jinelle, Kelsey, etc. I'd put Jinelle and Jenna as overall powerhouses, too. Those girls know how to work a crowd.

I previous years, Abigail Klein was automatically boosted there bc she was just so pretty. She was a decent dancer, had some weight (midsection) issues, but they loved how pretty she was. Brittany Evans was an amazing technical dancer, could since, could speak, and just had it all. Brittany Schram and currently Kelsey were never the best dancers, but have that fun spark that makes them great ambassadors/hosts. As for Cassie - here we go again - she was never the prettiest, the most technical, a powerhouse, a fun personality, etc., but she could harmonize, tumble and was such a slacker in school (changed majors 100 times and was barely enrolled fulltime, not even sure if she graduated), that she had the time for it. Plus, Judy. 

I am so impressed with Robin. It’s absolutely amazing that she can dance like that with a rod in her spine. What an interesting story! I would to learn more about her background, how she was able to dance with the scoliosis, etc. Also, she’s friggin adorable.

So the short girl, Karen I think, was too short. Do we know how tall she is? Maybe they need to just set a height requirement like the Rockettes do, or make all the finalists try on the boots before announcing the TCCs, because six weeks into training camp is a little late to decide someone is too short for the boots to be a DCC. 

I would love a SG special. One hour of dancing, not part of this series. They could show whole routines, get some guest stars. It would be sparkly and fabulous!

YES! More Robin. She is truly adorable and entertaining as a dancer. She reminds me of Betty Boop with those huge eyes and curls. 

That's exactly what I thought. She attacks every move and doesn't stop attacking through the whole dance. I think it's a great season--lots of drama, and stuff.

I didn't get the read that Megan B was high or on drugs. When Kelli and Judy corrected her during practice and she said she'd been working very hard, and she had what she had, I thought it sounded like she'd given up; like she'd worked so hard and kept getting critiqued so she just couldn't get ahead.  To me her pre-office reaction looked like she'd been rethinking whether all the work she was putting in to TC was worth her getting cut in the end.  I thought she was pretty savvy. She looked at the critiques, at what they were saying to her and the people around her, then made a decision on what she wanted to do.  I agree with Kelli, in that she resigned before they could cut her. But I think she planned on it, decided all the work just to get cut wasn't something she wanted. 

I don't see what's wrong with her attitude and decision.  How often have the Rookies said they had no idea how time consuming and difficult TC was. How often have Judy and Kelli said the newbies don't know what a tough time they'll have in TC.  I think Megan read the writing on the wall and realize she probably wasn't going to make the team anyway, so decided to put her efforts into school, not TC. It was her decision.  I think it's kind of two-faced of Kelli to say she took someone else's spot when she was going to cut her anyway! 

• Love 4

Chantal who? Is she the one I keep seeing with curlier hair, which I love, and yes, we need to see more.

Yes! She KIND OF looks like Kyndall but her hair is a tighter, shorter curl.  She was a Mavs dancer and such a fun performer.  SHe must be getting the style down since they NEVER show her but I was really looking forward to getting to know her more :-P  

• Love 1

I just have to mention that thought I think Madelaine looked great in the Laker Girl photos.. I hate how they appear to be wearing bra and panties in some of those pics. It looks really sleazy.. why can't they wear cute shorts? Do they actually have to dance in panties???

As for Angela, as I'm fairly new to watching DCC MTT and live in the UK I only get to see the girls featured on the show. Up until now, I've barely seen who Angela is, I didn't see the season when she made the team. I actually thought she looked a bit old. She didn't have the freshness of some of the other girls and wasn't super smiley and friendly looking like the other DCC's I've seen (Kelsey, Holly A, Danielle). I think when there are TCC doing amazing leaps and spins for the show group.. twerking isn't going to cut it. It doesn't matter how good you are at DCC choreography, show group should be the most proficient dancers no?

I really like TCC Megan not zombie Megan who got cut, but the brunette one. She seems a safe bet and you wouldn't have to worry about her getting the steps wrong or stage fright. I think she could easily slot right in.

Loved seeing Robin. She seems a sweetie.

There are still a bunch of girls I don't really know much about. The two Amy's.. they have blurred into one for me. Perhaps they should have been given different hair to make them more recognisable? What with having the same name and all.

I wish they made the episodes a little longer so you got to know the girls a bit better.. or even stopped fill them out with the same people who end up getting cut anyway.

I guess I would rather see Karen just on the day she was cut if they spent more time showing girls who actually get in. Instead of showing ditzy megan who leaves anyway.

Kelli and Judy do seem a bit harsh this year.

Melissa Rycroft. I'm sorry but I still would be happy to do without her bits. She asks a girl what her comments have been from K&J they say she is a bit timid or whatever and her advice is 'Come out of your shell'???? I'm sure if they could do it that easily they would have lol!

Can I have less of her and perhaps some shots of the Vets dancing instead?

• Love 1

I felt bad for Angela not making Show Group. We got to see so little of the Show Group auditions, that I don't know what she did other than the twerking. I have to admit, I don't know why she thought twerking was a good idea.  It's a dance move for clubs and rather raunchy. Why do that for SG auditions?  She said she came back for a 5th year for SG, and I hope that wasn't her only reason. The precedence had been set of her not making it, having tried out 3 times prior and fallen short. 

This may be my conspiracy showing, but I wondered if she talked with Kelli about SG, and Kelli indicated if she came back she had a good chance of being on SG. Remember she originally wasn't coming back for a 5th season, didn't go to the swimsuit shoot, wasn't named a returning Vet - then suddenly she IS coming back.  Then in this episode Kelli says something about long time Vets can't expect a gaurenteed SG spot, and Angela says to the camera crew that she came back because she wanted to be on SG....   I think because so many girls were retiring, Kelli and Angela discussed her returning, and I think Kelli might have intimated she stood a good chance of being in SG, and that's why Angela changed her mind and stayed - then Kelli reneged. Angela looked rather shocked she didn't make show group, and it shook her so much she couldn't concentrate on the new routine. To me, that says something.

Anyway, just my intuition talking!

Edited by Kaedee