Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

I'm waiting to see what people thought of Rachel's weird children's book parable thingy.

Heh.  Just like Rachel warned us it would be, that was weird - but in a fun way. I floved Trump as the big orange squash trying to sell his crap at the reunion.  I'm thinking the "family" is the Republican Party right?  Or is it supposed to be everyone and the reunion is the American election?  Or maybe the family reunion is our democracy and the big orange squash is trying to destroy it?   Anyway,  good on RM for doing weird stuff on Fridays.   I am curious about the producer who talked her into that though...

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1

I'm glad I caught Friday's show if only to find out the one good joke Trump told, the one joke almost everyone agreed was good (where he threw Miliania under the bus for plagiarism) was plagiarized (once again) by the Trump speechwriters.   Wow.   So much for surrounding himself with the Best People as RM pointed out.  

• Love 4

The only thing I'm worried about for the 2020 election is if Hillary doesn't do a bang-up job, if things don't improve for minorities or the non-1%, the Reps will run a half-way decent candidate against her, plus continue all the attacks from this year (the emails, the lying, untrustworthy, etc.) and she'll still be disliked by a large percentage of citizens, and she'll lose, along with other down-ticket races, and then the Dems will be stuck with the same gerrymandered districts as now, maybe even worse..  

Again, its the old story that a woman has to work twice as hard as a man, and sure not every male president has gotten 2 terms, but I'm still worried that the bar is set incredibly high for her to win a second term.  So many people have said that the only reason she'll win this time is because her opponent was Trump, that if the Reps had selected virtually anyone else, she would have lost.

• Love 4

I was very excited to hear that President Obama is going to work on getting Dems elected at the state level in preparation for the 2020 redistricting--it is a cause worthy of his efforts.

• Love 11

No, Tim Kaine knows exactly why they're in Utah and so does your colleague Steve Koracki, he showed us on his magic board this week. It's not that they have to win Utah, they have to just pull enough votes away from that Evan guy so that he doesn't win. Steve  mapped out a scenario where if Evan won Utah and Hillary didn't win a certain number of swing states, I forgot which ones he noted, but the race would be tied and go to the House to decide.  The House would probably pick this Evan guy, cause apparently they can regardless of the fact that he would not have even been on the ballot in every state. Now that's what I called rigged, Donald. So the black caucus needs to stop bitching and just get the vote out on their end, the Hillary camp knows exactly what the hell they're doing in Utah. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 3

Maybe this is the wrong idea since I don't understand all the ins and outs of political maneuvering, but, I want Evan to win Utah and Idaho badly.  It would be such a smack  down of the republicans as would Hillary winning Arizona and Georgia.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Kaine interview a lot. A much better forum than the debate, insofar has he can just answer questions rather than feel obligated to Make Points. Plus, hearing a dude admit his own feminism matter of factly, (i.e. without demanding a cookie) never gets old for me.

• Love 8

I enjoyed the Kaine interview a lot.

It would be interesting to know later when all this is over, how he and Hillary did communicate.  If its something really high tech or something really really old school.

• Love 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the Tim Kaine interview also.  I feel as if I got to know him a lot better.  I loved it when she asked if he ever had a female boss.

Overall, last night's show was excellent.  I'm so glad that Rachel reminded viewers of Drumpf and his father's discriminatory housing practices against potential Black renters.  The clip of Fred Drumpf's former rental agent describing how applicants were turned down, and the language old Fred (the KKK member) used left me seething and nearly in tears at once.  It also showed that Drumpf once again lies the way most people drink water or change their underwear.  I loved the fact that one of the applicants kept her paperwork from the lawsuit and stated how she felt it was important that history not be erased.  Very powerful and moving story!

I also appreciated Rachel pointing out a couple of nights ago the history of the GOP's efforts to suppress votes with their racially-charged poll watching.  At first I had no idea what she was getting at when she talked about Drumpf's sister (the judge) being married to a lawyer who is long dead.  But, she wrapped it up in a bow when she described the consent decree that Drumpf threatens to violate by whipping up his minions to "monitor" the polls in areas where minorities vote.  By the time this election season ends, Reince Preibus will own stock in adult diapers.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

something really really old school.

I bet anything ol' TK's a whiz on semaphores.

eta: Oh, I forgot what I wanted to rage about, and now I've remembered:  My face ignited in blazes when Rachel asked Tim about 'reaching out' and appointing some R to some cabinet post or other. Fuck almighty, this pisses me off. Why?

• NOBODY EVER ASKS THE Rs TO DO THE SAME, nobody expects them to, and the NEVER DO. Because when they win, well, they get to run things the way they want. But Dems are expected to share power as a show of good faith or some such fuckwittery.
  • It's not like doing so will gain any goodwill where needed! It's not like Jason Chaffetz is going to eschew non-stop hearings just because Lindsey Graham (e.g) is  SecAg. He's already sporting wood about the prospect!
  • The minute any R gets appointed, they'll cease being considered an R by the rest of the Rs, so why fucking bother?

Appoint frothing libs to every freaking post, HRC. It won't hurt you any more than you're going to get anyway, and maybe progressives will have some administrative impact down in the burrows of where the work gets done! Cecile Richards for HHS! Jennifer Granholm for Labor! Wendy Davis for something, anything! Come on! 

Grrrrrrr.  

Edited by attica
venting, correcting douchebag's name
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

It would be interesting to know later when all this is over, how he and Hillary did communicate.  If its something really high tech or something really really old school.

I was thinking maybe they set up dummy facebook accounts under secret names and messaging that way.  Or some cell phone app game that allows for ingame messages.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, attica said:

It's not like doing so will gain any goodwill where needed! It's not like Aaron Chaffetz is going to eschew non-stop hearings just because Lindsey Graham (e.g) is  SecAg. He's already sporting wood about the prospect!

What else does that Chaffetz tool do?

I also loved the Tim Kaine interview. I always enjoy two smart peeps talking civilly about politics.

• Love 4

I really like Tim Kaine.  He reminds me of a great neighbor who always is helping the other families next door.  You know he has great BBQs and invites the whole neighborhood.   On the other hand Pence is that grouchy neighbor who keeps to himself except when he is yelling at the little kids to keep them off his lawn.

• Love 10

The only positive thing Trump has given us is taking Pence out of running for re-election in Indiana.   

I have a real weakness for great eyebrows and Tim Kaine had me at hello.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, attica said:

eta: Oh, I forgot what I wanted to rage about, and now I've remembered:  My face ignited in blazes when Rachel asked Tim about 'reaching out' and appointing some R to some cabinet post or other. Fuck almighty, this pisses me off. Why?

At least Kaine responded that Republicans will have to do the same. I like that he said that. Hopefully Hillary will be able to work with (some) Republicans but not be overly accommodating to them like Obama was his first two years. I feel like she's too savvy to fall for that. We'll see!

• Love 7
20 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I really like Tim Kaine.  He reminds me of a great neighbor who always is helping the other families next door.  You know he has great BBQs and invites the whole neighborhood.   On the other hand Pence is that grouchy neighbor who keeps to himself except when he is yelling at the little kids to keep them off his lawn.

He was out in Virginia trying to find people to take in some of the Syrian refugees.

He was going to become a priest at one point in time.

I wish she would have asked him about he wars, this is something she is passionate about and so is he. Well, he's passionate about congress doing their job in terms of debating the authorization of war and they have refused to do so. There are clips with him telling the off about how they complain about Obama acting like some King and issuing executive orders yet they don't want to stand on the floor and debate, be part of the decision making. 

At least Kaine responded that Republicans will have to do the same. I like that he said that. Hopefully Hillary will be able to work with (some) Republicans but not be overly accommodating to them like Obama was his first two years. I feel like she's too savvy to fall for that. We'll see!

I don't think it was Obama's lack of savvy that made him accommodating to the other side, it was his skin color and his middle name, trying to make those racist obstructionist like Mitch McConnell feel at ease, fuckers. Finally, he had to say fuck it and sign as many executive orders as was legally possible. 

Hillary is use to their shit, she's had 30 years of it. She's not going to try to prove a damn thing them. She's willing to work together, she's done it before, but...hell no.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Hillary is use to their shit, she's had 30 years of it. She's not going to try to prove a damn thing them. She's willing to work together, she's done it before, but...hell no.

OK, this is sort of off-topic. But I don't get the "30 years" thing.

Trump has been saying it for months.

Hillary said it at the debates, responding to Trump.

Even Obama said it the other night on Kimmel.

Where did this 30 years thing come from? What happened in 1986 that made her become a national figure, or even a political figure?

If it was that she was first lady of Arkansas, well, she was first lady of Arkansas in the '70s.

I bet if you go back to 25 years ago, October 1991, the majority of the country wouldn't have heard of her.

I don't think she became nationally famous until the 60 Minutes interview in  January 1992.

• Love 3

I thought the White House vegetable garden had been pretty thoroughly reported on a couple of weeks ago, so I am surprised that Rachel had it as her big scoop at the end of the show.  I think the garden is great -- it's just that putting the concrete around it to make is more permanent is not news.

And I was completely perplexed by the end of the discussion with the reporter who had been on the Pence plane that skidded off the runway.  Rachel told that long story about the pilot who was facing criminal charges and had been flying the Pence plane, then she said to the reporter:  "And you know who they replaced him with?"  --but there was no answer to that question that I could hear.  She just held the reporters hands again and said thanks for coming.  (They must have really hustled him over to Rockefeller Center in quite a hurry!)   ETA:  I listened to the interview with the reporter on the Pence plan again, and now I realize that Rachel was actually asking:  "Do *you* know who replaced him [guy fired off the Pence plane previously] ", because she was trying to find out.  Whoever it was, he will not be flying the plane tomorrow! 

ETA:  I quite enjoyed listening to the 25-year-old reporter, Vaughn Hillyard!  I am guessing the press on the Pence plane is the next wave of young reporters -- with the more seasoned ones on the presidential planes.  Hillyard may have done some reports on air, but I have not seen them. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I thought Bill was governor of Arkansas in the 80s ?

His first term was  from 1979-80. Lost in 1980 and then won again in 82.  Was governor until 1992. They only had two year terms in Arkansas back then.

• Love 3

There was an article in Slate today titled, "Journalists Need to Stop Sending Tweets About How They Are About to Send an Important Tweet."

I think this article applies to Rachel, sort of. Instead of teasing with tweets, she teases the hell out of her show. Especially with the "exclusive" stuff. Or the stuff like the Obama news tonight.

This was reported elsewhere before the show, so I was expecting a whole new revelation.

I get it. She's trying to get us to stay tuned. But I would think of all the shows on MSNBC, her show has the most people sticking around to watch the entire thing. At least that's how it applies to me. (I do watch bits of Chris Hayes and most of Lawrence.)

50 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I thought Bill was governor of Arkansas in the 80s ?

During her first stint, if I recall correctly from watching Frontline's The Choice -- which if you haven't watched, you should watch below -- she was "Hillary Rodham" during Bill's first term as governor and she wore glasses and didn't wear fashionable clothing. When he ran again after losing. Hillary dyed her hair blonde ditched the glasses and changed her fashion sense.

• Love 5

OK, this is sort of off-topic. But I don't get the "30 years" thing.

Especially since if he was talking about her time as part of the Washington elite, it should be 42 years.   Since in 1974, she was a member of the impeachment inquiry staff in Washington advising the House Committee on the Judiciary during the Watergate scandal.  But I guess 30 is an easier number for Trump to remember than 42 (even thought 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of Life, The Universe, and Everything).

Ha!  So, Trump was a better baseball player than Mickey Mantle.  Amazing how he was such an amazing athlete with those bone spurs.

• Love 5

I noticed all the sniffling in the audio tapes. That's a thing I cannot unhear, and it drives me bonkers to be in the company of somebody who won't blow their damn nose.

I think the closing "scoop" was HRC's announcement she'd keep the garden? It's pretty weak tea as scoops go, though.

"I'm a professional reporter and I never thought to ask about the repeated hard landings that have become a joke amongst my traveling companions. Because who bothers with the Help?" I wasn't very impressed with Hillyard, but then, embedding with a veep candidate is probably the gig they give rookies. Like the auditors sent out by the accounting firm that works for us -- they're all zygotes, and never know all much about our business, but it's 1) pecking order; and 2) how they learn. 

I got such a kick out of Rachel making fun of the ridiculous Trump narcissism.  (He's the best at everything.)   I actually laughed out loud at some of his statements.  And it would be funny, if it weren't so tragic how close he might be to the presidency.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, car54 said:

This is a wonderful interview with Rachel and Doris Kearns Goodwin putting crazy elections into historical perspective

I love the story about Rachel's phone interview with Trump!

• Love 1

Rachel:  "Would you eat that?" -- referring to the white Lifesaver in a plastic bag provided by the KKK with instructions to "GO TO THE POLES AND VOTE" -- with fresh breath, apparently.  I appreciate that she found the misspelling as appalling as the message. 

No, Rachel, I would not eat that. 

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

No Rachel, Brokaw isn't comforting, he's as much of a tool as Bri-Wi and you let him lie on air about the Perot myth.

Could not agree more.  I'm not quite sure how Brokaw became this revered commentator.  He's usually full of bullshit or platitudes.   He's had about 6 thoughts in the past 30 years and keeps spewing them out, over and over again.  I guess if you live long enough in the news business people give your words a weight they do not deserve. 

• Love 6

My respect for Bill Weld keeps growing.  I know he's on the Libertarian ticket, but I think Republicans are extremely sorry he's not their main guy.  What integrity!  Rachel is right.  I think that was her best interview in a long, long time. 

• Love 7

No Rachel, Brokaw isn't comforting, he's as much of a tool as Bri-Wi and you let him lie on air about the Perot myth.

She's got to stop having on that group of male anchors.   Brokow, Rather and Brian Williams (though, that's not her choice).

It's just too bad that Rachel and Brokaw don't have access to somebody who's an expert on the Ross Perot myth.

She needs to start listening to her own show! I'm pretty sure she's covered this herself - she probably had Steve on to talk about it.  Well, we all seemed to know it.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 5

Brokaw is the Grand Old Man of NBC.  And he's not as obnoxious about it as other Grand Old Men have been.  Also, he survived cancer.  Also, he's written well-regarded stuff about the greatest generation.  Also, he's really not as obnoxious as the other Grand Old Men.

Williams seems to be chastened - his there-there-now-now condescending patronizing response to just about everything is severely squashed down, and the 11th Hour is pretty good.  I think he benefits from being at the same desk as Rachel.

As for Rather - I thought for a long time that he was too invested in his stature (he succeeded the Grandest of the Grand Old Men, Uncle Walter Cronkite hisself), and if being succeeded in that job by Katie Couric doesn't teach you a life lesson, nothing will.  I think he's gone back somewhat to the reporter he used to be at the beginning, before the period when he became the White House correspondent whom Nixon really really didn't want to talk to.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I'm pretty sure she's covered this herself

You're right to be sure. She has indeed covered it, 7/23/15.  

I flipped channels when she introduced Brokaw. I've had my fill of old-white-dude hacks; I don't need no more. I'm glad I stayed for the LO'D toss; his opening block cheered me all the way up.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually still admire Rather.  I'll see myself out...

I will admit that he's not as bad as the rest.  And, without him we wouldn't have our on going joke of him still not saying who he thinks is going to win the 2012 election.

• Love 1

I love Dan Rather--he has walked through fire and come out on the other side.   He took his downfall at CBS like a man and has still kept himself in the business to some degree.  And I like Tom Brokaw--given his health issues I am glad he got to participate in another big election cycle.   Both of them bring some historical perspective to the discussions they are in because they've been doing this for so long.

• Love 4

I keep wondering why Rachel doesn't lift up more women's voices on her show. She has way too many men guests and it's so troubling, especially since she's a lesbian and say's she's a feminist.

• Love 2

I suspect it's because her show is the flagship of the network, and the suits would be upset without the reassuring presence of all The Men, who are The Only Ones To Be Taken Seriously. I'd like to think that, because to think that Rachel prefers the viewpoints of Stale Pale Males (e.g her affection for Pat Buchanan) would depress me greatly.

But yeah, remember when Keith was still at 8 and Rachel got to have all the diverse guests, starting with MHP? 

• Love 3

As something of a navy nerd, I feel the need to point out that while the "Admiral Kuznetsov" is an old an poorly maintained aircraft carrier, ski jump style flight decks are not considered outdated or inferior and are way more common than catapult systems. 

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 2

Remember, Rachel has a show on Sunday night (tonight) at 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PT, if I am remembering the time correctly.  She announced this at the end of her Friday show. 

• Love 1