Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

The show tonight was excellent, but it has me really upset to the point that it's 2 in the morning and I can't sleep. The bad guys are winning! We will now have a Putin puppet running our country because Hillary stood up to the real Putin back in 2011. That aspect of it didn't fully hit me until Rachel spelled it out. It's surreal and so disturbing.

I'm starting one of those Indivisible groups. 

• Love 12

This is what Rachel does best, connecting the dots.  It didn't fully hit me how much Putin hates Hillary until Rachel made it so obvious.  I know hindsight is everything, but it would have been helpful to have this segment before the election.  And we now know that McConnell also blocked the public knowing about the extent of Russian hacking before the election.  Hillary called Trump a Putin puppet in one of the debates and and it seemed like a great line at the time.  They made fun of it on SNL.  But now it's for real and scary as hell.

• Love 7

As if it could get any worse, our President to be wants us to place the National Enquirer on a pedestal above that of respected newspapers, like the NYT and the Washington Post.  Incredible.  I kept waiting for Rachael to find the connection between whoever owns the NE, who must absolutely be a Republican given the complete hatchet job on the Clintons and the tongue bath given to Trump, and Trump, such as some former business dealings, or how the owner is going to benefit from the coming administration, or a connection to the Russians.

I'm a bit surprised that the DNC and Hillary's campaign didn't take some extra measures to protect from hacking.  I suppose they greatly underestimated  the grudge that Putin held against Hillary (major intelligence fail?) and the lengths he would go to keep her from the presidency.  I've heard that there was a major fail over Podesta's email, that some staffer stupidly clicked on one of those obvious fishing email links.  I'm an old fart Gen Xer and yet I know not to click on any email link that claims my security/password has been compromised.

I just find it incredible that Putin really belived Hillary incited the riots against him.  I bet if you asked the people he arrested, few, if any, would even know who she was, let alone what she said about him or the election.  Hell, I bet less than half the people who voted for Trump even know who Putin is.  

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 3

Oh, I just knew Rachel was going to break my heart when she was talking about the 60 years of Charlie Brotman's announcing for the White House parades.  It's like knowing a dog is going to die in a movie, and you are hoping, maybe......not?  But this is just heartless. 

So, he is now about to be on "Last Word" with Joy Ann Reid filling in.  Somebody please give this man a celebration. 

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/09/us/politics/ap-us-inaugural-announcer.html?_r=0

• Love 7

^^^ Charlie Brotman was on CNN with Brooke Baldwin today also.

It's amazing that he would have been dumped like that.  It's really a shame.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

Rachel said he was fired in an email.  I can't imagine how that must have hurt Mr. Brotman, especially with the recent loss of his wife. 

Trumputin has no respect for meaningful tradition and ritual, nor human decency.  He is no leader.

I'm glad the Democratic Senators are holding the floor and talking about saving the ACA.  This should be a much bigger story than it is, but, there are just so many things that should be bigger stories than they are.

• Love 7

Fasten your seatbelts cuz it's gonna be a horrible, horrible ride this week.  From tomorrow onward, Rach has to be very, very focused.  There is so much the Rethugs will be trying to get away with.  

I thought she hit an OK note tonite.  She wasn't giddy or angry or shocked or anxious.  Let's see if she can keep that up.  And the history lesson she tied in was relevant.  Doubt she'll have time for more history lessons this week.

• Love 9

It had been awhile since I watched TRMS, and I'd forgotten how cool it is to play the "where is this story going to end up?" game from the top of the hour.  I missed the deep dives into context.  I particularly appreciated last night's examination of the importance of vetting Cabinet appointees -- especially the non-partisan aspect of it. The Tom Daschle thing was a big Democratic mistake.  Sometimes she gets that smug, high pitched tone that puts me off, but I almost always come away feeling like I've learned something. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, izabella said:

Rachel said he was fired in an email.  I can't imagine how that must have hurt Mr. Brotman, especially with the recent loss of his wife. 

Trumputin has no respect for meaningful tradition and ritual, nor human decency.  He is no leader.

I'm glad the Democratic Senators are holding the floor and talking about saving the ACA.  This should be a much bigger story than it is, but, there are just so many things that should be bigger stories than they are.

And, it's not just the Narcissistic Nightmare.  The despicable assholes (including family members of legal age) aren't any better.  It's hard to believe that no one in that inner circle of hell stopped to at least think about the optics of this.  Nope!  They wanted to ensure they had a Drumpf supporter taking over Mr. Brotman's job.

This doesn't bode well for career federal employees either, whom I understand have already expressed fears about their job security.  I wonder if folks will stop talking about tweets long enough to discuss this, as well.

• Love 9

I think this is the first time I've ever wanted to watch something instead of a President Obama speech, but I'm dying to see Rachel get her teeth into this Russian prostitute golden shower thing.

• Love 3

I think Rachel and other outlets/shows are going to treat that Buzzfeed report with great caution; MSNBC had one of its international correspondents on this evening saying he has had the report for months, and has been trying to verify parts of it, without success.  I think many of them have known about this report, and could not be the ones to bring it forward.  The graphic/salacious parts get attention, but it is the large question of "is there really a Russian connection for Trump?  was he/is he influenced by being blackmailed?  did he/did his team/ work with Russia on the election infiltration?"  -- and I think these political questions will be discussed in the context of what we already know -- that Trump has been unusually supportive of a demagogue who opposes the United States -- and does this Buzzfeed release give this more context? 

• Love 2

It's easy to get sidetracked by the report's descriptions of his excessive use of Russian prostitutes & his fondness for golden showers shows.  Look, he got past saying he grabs any woman he wants by the p*ssy.  He could get past stuff like loving golden showers & prostitutes -- EASILY.  

No, hopefully what will stand out is just how compromised he is, if what this report says is true -- that his team, thru (of course) Manafort, was trading information with high ranking Russians throughout the campaign & how rumors of his business dealings in Russia (which were actually minimal), were a purposeful cover for his real (crooked) business deals in China (and other "emerging markets"), which were based on bribes & kickbacks.

Wow, if any of the stuff in this report is true, he should be impeached immediately.  Remains to be seen if any of this extremely damaging stuff catches fire.  If McCain opens a committee to investigate, can these allegations be proven?  Why would anyone be surprised that we will have a criminal in the White House in 10 days?  It's back to the days of Nixon.  But that's before my time so this is all new to me.

Meryl was talking about his cruelty & bullying & lack of empathy.  But man, this report confirms his monstrousness on a whole new & horrible level.  

Here's the big question -- will Rachel talk about any of this stuff?  Even if she just refers to nothing specific & just talks about "the report's allegations"?

No giddiness, Rachel.  Just no giddiness, please, I beg you.  Now is not the time for that shit.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

No giddiness, Rachel.  Just no giddiness, please, I beg you.  Now is not the time for that shit.

Agreed.  People need to be very, very serious about this.  Because it fucking is.

• Love 11

ONLY and I mean ONLY if she flashes the latest tweets from George Takei, will I be OK with Rachel being giddy.  His latest tweets-

Trickle down economics? Well, soviet.

Tinkle, tinkle, little czar. Putin put you where you are.

Sorta gives a whole new meaning to "Wikileaks."

Waiting for Trump to whine about yellow journalism. Please oh please oh please...

You know, Trump never could pass up a golden opportunity.

Love ya, George!

Now, will Rach have SmellyAnne back to put some golden spin on Peegate?  Or will she leave that to simpering suckup, Interrupter Matthews?  Or will SmellyAnne be a new regular on the horrific Greta's new show -- which I'll NEVER watch?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Why would anyone be surprised that we will have a criminal in the White House in 10 days?  It's back to the days of Nixon.  But that's before my time so this is all new to me.

I was on earth when Watergate happened.  And the two (well, 1.5) Nixon administrations.  This is nothing, nothing like Nixon.  I would vote for Nixon in a minute over this despicable, criminal bully.  So much for Rachel to pursue.  And ten days to go -- what else will be revealed? 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, jjj said:

I think Rachel and other outlets/shows are going to treat that Buzzfeed report with great caution; 

The Times is all over it.  You now have the go ahead to dissect it completely, Rachel.   Go for the gold(en), hun!

• Love 2

I watched the President's farewell speech on MSNBC because I had been watching Chris Hayes.  I stayed here to hear Rachel wrap it up with her guests.  Which was perfectly wonderful till she had on Tom Brokaw who droned on and on and kept adding bits and pieces till she couldn't seem to shut him up. 

Leave him to Morning Joe or some other irrelevant show.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

The Times is all over it.  You now have the go ahead to dissect it completely, Rachel.   Go for the gold(en), hun!

Well, as Joy Ann Reid said last night, "we need to provide the cable news version" -- i.e., leaving out the bits that newspapers can cover without telling children to get out of the room!  :) 

• Love 2

When Brokaw was talking about Trump "fixing this broken economy" (or something along those lines), I was yelling at the tv, "Have you SEEN the latest jobs figures? What about the rising wages chart? What broken economy?!?!?!?" The ones who are the most affected right now are those whose jobs are never going to come back, the middle-class manufacturing jobs that have been lost to automation. There is a chart I just saw on Daily Kos (I think) yesterday that showed how the manufacturing jobs didn't start disappearing in the '90s, but instead were lost beginning in the post-dotcom bust cycle, but leveled off until the Great Recession, when they fell like a stone. Those jobs aren't coming back, folks, no matter how many plants Trump is going to claim credit for staying in the U.S., because if the plants do stay here, they are just going to automate them and bye-bye, actual jobs for real people. Same thing goes in coal country.

• Love 15

She's got a ton to talk about tonite.  I hope she doesn't show more than a few seconds of the Orange Ass's bullshit "press conference" or whatever that circus was.  She should show Corey Booker's powerful testimony against that awful Sessions.  

In all seriousness, I really don't want Rach to utter the words GOLDEN SHOWERS.  She needn't go there.  I'm just glad it's out there now.  And if Orange Ass continues his Putin- loving crap, we'll know that report is ALL true.  Rach has plenty else to keep her busy tonite.

Love Joy Reid.  Hopefully she'll be back to go on right after Rach.  Those 2 offer a great one-two punch to the Orange Ass & his crew of horribles.

• Love 3

I don't know why he was calling out CNN so much, MSNBC ran the story, they just didn't mention any of the details. I think everybody reported it was out there. Even local news.  Jake Tapper said all they did was report that POTUS and Trump were briefed and it existed. 

Fresh Air interview with Politico's Mike Crowley on Trump's creepy relationship with Russian oligarchs and his fan boy love of Putin.  I would say there's more truth to this report than we know.  

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/21/506302106/journalist-trump-seems-willfully-blind-to-putin-s-real-goals

• Love 2

Holy Shit! Putin is about to own this country.

Come on Rubio, don't act like you look, like a twelve year old boy. Act like a man and send Tillerson packing.

Be a patriot man.

It's the best thing to do for the country and you can stick it to Trump. You remember all that shit talking he was doing, calling you Little Marco? Cause I remember.

• Love 12

Rachel, Rachel, you are scaring the crap out of me.  I see now whey Trump would reverse all the sanctions against Russia including not allowing drilling there. He is crazy like a Fox trying to push through this Tillerson guy.  Oh, please, please, Marco stand up to your cowardly colleagues and do the right thing.  Please, you've been re-elected for 6 years.  You will probably outlive Trump in public office.  He can't do anything to you.  Get the revenge you deserve.

• Love 7

I'm glad Rachel talked about Walter Schaub, Director of the Office of Government Ethics, and the statement he made about Trumputin's conflicts of interest.  I'm grateful for anyone with some sort of power and a podium who speaks out on behalf of ethics.  Ethics is the only thing saving us from massive corruption turning us into a third world country.

If there were just a few Republicans who stepped up to the plate on each of the scariest appointees, they could help prevent some egregious fuckery and looting.  Come on, Rubio.  Be the one to stand against Tillerman.

• Love 5

Well, I'm glad she had on Corey Booker & she read his eloquent words on what is most concerning about Sessions.  That he really isn't interested in protecting the rights of ALL, based on his professional career over the last 40 years.

Sessions will likely get in easily, as Rach noted.  And he may not be the cause of anything too damaging in the next 4 years.  But as Booker importantly spotlighted, he surely won't continue any of the advancements made for civil rights for all.  And he could stall or try to turn around any of these advancements.  It's unknown, but scary what he's capable of.

• Love 5
On 1/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, carrier76 said:

I don't know if I have ever hated someone the way I hate Donald Trump. What a disgusting hog. 

Not just hate....FEAR.  That's one reason I love Rachel.  She usually makes me laugh through my tears. 

• Love 11

Rachel on Dianne Feinstein:  "She is more than two Tom Cottons old"

Her commentary on the C-SPAN camera waking up was hilarious.  "The C-SPAN camera got drunk and woke up woozy." "Where am I?  Trying to focus..."

Holy Cow, though, Russian TV (RT) took over C-SPAN?????
   https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/business/media/cspan-russia-today.html  

That is one of the best opening segments I have seen in a long time -- as good as the "King Midas" opening a few weeks ago. 

• Love 7

Charlie Brotman got a new job!  Yay! 

Nice NBC!

I, however, will not be watching one fucking second of any of the slide into the abyss (January 20) and I will not watch any news for a while, I really don't want to see that this thing is really going to become reality.

• Love 10

Yes, I was delighted to see that NBC hired Mr. Brotman to provide commentary on the inauguration -- but I also will not be watching any part of it.  Not clear if he is hired by the local affiliate or national NBC.  I don't care, I am just so glad that he will have this to look forward to.  And I am very sorry for all this anxiety and disappointment he has had over all this, but now I think he has attracted more attention in the past week than in his entire career. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, stormy said:

I, however, will not be watching one fucking second of any of the slide into the abyss (January 20) and I will not watch any news for a while, I really don't want to see that this thing is really going to become reality.

I want to be like an ostrich for the next 4 years & just bury my head in the sand - between Chris Hayes, Rachel & LOD, I'm spending nights so upset - how do people not see what's happening in our country?

Of course, I will continue to watch the news & news programs as we need to stay on top of all of this craziness but it won't be easy or pretty

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

I want to be like an ostrich for the next 4 years & just bury my head in the sand - between Chris Hayes, Rachel & LOD, I'm spending nights so upset - how do people not see what's happening in our country?

Of course, I will continue to watch the news & news programs as we need to stay on top of all of this craziness but it won't be easy or pretty

ME TOO!  I'm not sure how I'm going to avoid suffering from depression or even PTSD.  I have to collect myself though.  I have to stay informed. Be resilient and band with others to defend our country. We need a leader to start now and be ready in 4 years to help save us.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, jjj said:

Her commentary on the C-SPAN camera waking up was hilarious.  "The C-SPAN camera got drunk and woke up woozy." "Where am I?  Trying to focus..."

Holy Cow, though, Russian TV (RT) took over C-SPAN?????
   https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/business/media/cspan-russia-today.html  

That is one of the best opening segments I have seen in a long time -- as good as the "King Midas" opening a few weeks ago. 

I listen to TRMS on the podcast, audio only, so I was disappointed to miss the visuals on that.

Thanks for posting that Times article because ... I need to better understand WTF is happening here. Is it Russia who is actually fucking with CSPAN, and us? Or is someone trying to make us *think* that Russia is fucking with us? I can't believe this is real life!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Thanks for posting that Times article because ... I need to better understand WTF is happening here. Is it Russia who is actually fucking with CSPAN, and us? Or is someone trying to make us *think* that Russia is fucking with us? I can't believe this is real life!

As of last night during Rachel's show, they didn't know.  They didn't know why the power went out (including to the camera) in the Senate, and they don't know how the RT feed ended up taking over CSPAN.  

Not clear if he is hired by the local affiliate or national NBC.

I think she said its the local NBC station.

Paul Anka has agreed to perform My Way at the Orange Ass's inauguration.  Snark way, Rach, snark away.

He just changed his mind.  I'm guessing he got a lot of criticism.

• Love 2

OK, well, let's see if the same thing happens with Jennifer Holliday.  The Trump fools are reporting her as a sure thing & her camp says she hasn't confirmed.  Marie Osmond reportedly offered herself up & now is saying she "doesn't get involved in politics". Uh, OK.  

Hopefully, Rach will be all over this inauguration stuff.  I think it's a signal of what's coming.  Mass chaos & a rising and enormous tidal wave forming against him.  It's gonna start if they repeal ACA & have zippo to replace it.  And when Putin starts doing horrible things & Trump does nothing -- or says it's wonderful.  Or when Tillerson takes away all Russian sanctions & makes billions from his shares in Exxon.  There's a zillion aspects of this insane presidency that can make it crumble down around him.

Now is not the time to not pay attention.  That's what Rach keeps saying & she's right.  While I'm not thrilled with her giddy routine, I like that she's trying to stay upbeat & keeping her snarky sense of humor & wit fully intact.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 5

Picked the wrong song. (You're) Having My Baby might have played better to the trumpsters. ::swoon::

I'm worried about TRMS. Too much, imho, cozying up to, I dunno, the other side? It's different and I don't like it. I don't want her to be friends with Greta. I don't want her to allow KAC to prevaricate. She's supposed to be a safety net, of sorts. 

And if I hear, The Liberal Media, one more time ...  

• Love 6

I was surprised that Rachel said she would be back on Monday -- I thought the network might be running specials or Lock!Up! on Monday.  The Brian Williams time slot is taken up with the Obama retrospective. 

Oh, no, did they stop offering even the first segment as a video podcast of TRMS?  They went from the full video to the first segment about a year ago -- but now the latest video feed is from December.  Just boo, Comcast, or whoever is running the right to these. 

In the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, this is no ordinary time.  I don't think Rachel should take a day off for the next four years!  The two weeks after the election I avoided everything, buried my head in the sand, but then realized as an American citizen I needed to be aware of the immense amount of bullshit being said and perpetrated upon our nation.  Rachel has been my rock and I need her each day. 

What will Trump say about John Lewis?  There will probably be some misspelled, irrational tweets coming out about 5:00 am tomorrow.  John Lewis has more integrity, character, and courage in his little finger than Trump has exhibited over the course of his entire life. 

• Love 10

Loved her segment on the boobishness of Trump  Jr.  Well, it was about much more than that, but defintely based on what an inept boob Jr. clearly must be.

Oh man, he must be busting, keeping those short fingers from tweeting insults about John Lewis.  

I'm seeing commercials with Rach going on about the wonders of Greta.  This is ALL kinds of wrong & makes me wanna barf.  I'd rather pour bleach in my eyes than look at Greta's hideous mug, or stab my eardrums than listen to a peep of her Fox bullshit.  Why oh why, Rach, are you pushing that horrible woman?  Are the big shots at NBCUniversal forcing you to?

• Love 6

It's sort of not that suprising that  Michael Beschcloss tells us that never in American history has an inauguration been covered in such a cloud. This eclipses Nixon's second term by a million.  I hope this one ends in the same results.

• Love 7

And just as predicted, Trump tweets about John Lewis.  Wish Rachel was on today to rip this apart.  John Lewis is all talk and no action?   Jesus, does the orange ball of goo have no idea who John Lewis is?  Certainly a man of strong words, but let's talk about action. as a Freedom Rider, chairman of SNCC, one of the organizers of the March on Washington, and the icon of Bloody Sunday, when his skull was fractured as he marched for civil rights.  John Lewis is the very personification of action, an American hero. 

• Love 15

So now, after going back & forth several times, Jennifer Holliday says she will NOT be at the inauguration.  As predicted.  Will Rach be there?  Will horrible Greta be tooting horns like it's New Year's Eve on Jan 20th?  

I've already dug a hole in the ground I'll be burying my head into that awful awful day.  Well, not actually.  But in my head I'll be doing that.

• Love 4