Type keyword(s) to search

Production Arts: Costumes, Soundtracks, Props, etc

• Start Topic

Bringing the conversation here from Media.

Even in the first two seasons, while conservative, Snow still dressed cute. She had cute skirts, leggings and simple lacey tops. It was prudish but still very nice.

It wasn't until after Neverland that her clothes got all blocky and started wearing super bulky full length cardigans while everyone else got Gucci.

So many bag the CGI on Once but i grew up when tv hadn't been around long..when Harryhausen stop motion effects or a man in a rubber costume was the best Hollywood could come up with. I love what people can do with computers these days... sure beats the days of wonky rockets on strings with fireworks at the bottom.

• Love 2

Anyone else notice that Snow got a change of coat in Devil's Due? Perhaps after 4 months in the same shirt in Neverland, Ginny has it in her contract she gets a wardrobe change every few episodes?

It was actually after Princess team up in season 2 that Ginny made it clear she didn't want to be trapped in one outfit all season, which is why Snow takes backpacks during trips now.

It was noted in the spoilers thread that Adam tweeted about a timline title card issue that might appear in the upcoming episode. Someone tweeted him a screen cap of the mistake they saw in one of the episode previews, and he blamed ABC for putting in the wrong title card that wasn't approved by him.

Now, this isn’t the first time the show has screwed up a title card. (Someone help me out here, what was the wrong timeline title card that appeared during the Camelot arc?) But why is ABC in charge of title cards and not one of the internal Once editors who cuts the episodes? Is it standard protocol for editors of a television show to be primarily associated with the parent company and not the individual show? I always assumed there was a specific editor(s) that cuts the Once episodes who was also in close contact with Adam & Eddy. Does anyone have any inside info on how that process works? I do a bit of video editing for my company, but I have no idea how the process works for a large broadcast company like ABC.

I think the bigger issue here is that the writers don't know how to present a clear story with a definitive timeline, so I don't really blame ABC for screwing up the show's timeline on numerous occasions. That's on Adam & Eddy.

Edited by Curio
(Someone help me out here, what was the wrong timeline title card that appeared during the Camelot arc?)

It read "200 Years Ago" for the flashback of the Dark One's origin, which is impossible given that 200 years at the very least is how long Rumple has been the Dark One.  Adam confirmed it was supposed to say the much easier-to-believe "500 Years Ago".  The Itunes version of the episode fixed the error, and it's been confirmed that this version will be used on the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I suspect the same will happen with this recent goof, not that this excuses it happening.

Edited by Mathius

There was also the time they used "two years ago" instead of "thirty years ago" for a pre-curse flashback. The writers stood by their decision to ignore the curse, though. I find that frustrating since they could have just said "Two Years Before the Dark Curse" or something. 

30 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Was there a new Underbrooke musical theme?  I'm assuming there was, but I never noticed it.

There was one for Hades. You can hear it toward the end of the clip where he meets with Cora at the end of 5x12. 

Speaking of soundtracks, I miss hearing Emma's theme and the classic True Love theme. I feel like they've included lesser variations on those themes over the years, but there's a few really powerful moments in the first few seasons where those themes play in the background and it really elevates the scene. Lately, whenever I hear those theme variations played, it's for scenes that are kind of dull and I end up skipping over the fact that the theme even played. The last time the soundtrack truly moved me and enhanced the scene was probably the Season 3 finale montage. It's hard for me to remember another moment from Season 4 or 5 where the music made me tear up like that.

• Love 1

In the nitpicks thread, we've been talking some about Hook's wardrobe and how he seems to be the only character who has a "costume" in Storybrooke rather than just wearing clothes, like everyone else, and the way his look is so stuck in a narrow box in both the fantasy world and in Storybrooke, so I thought I'd bring it over here, since now we're talking more about costume design than about nitpicks.

The original design of Hook's look is really rather brilliant. It takes the familiar silhouette of the coat with the big collar and cuffs that we've seen on most of the versions of Hook over the years and updates it to make it sexier and edgier, to be more appealing to modern audiences for a character who was being set up to become a romantic leading man. They got rid of the frills and ruffles, made the coat a bit sleeker and then made it of black leather. This Hook looked dark, sexy, and dangerous rather than like a silly fop, but it was still somewhat familiar and recognizable.

Unfortunately, they've been stuck in that rut since then. All of the various fairytale land looks they've put him in (aside from the military uniform, the deckhand look, and that doublet from when he was playing blacksmith) may as well have come from the McCall's "Dashing Pirate" pattern, with views A, B, and C that are basically the same thing with slight variations to the collar and length, and then made out of different material. The Prince Charles coat is really similar, just a different color and fabric and maybe a bit shorter, and then the Camelot coat was basically the same as the pirate coat, just in different fabric. I'll give them the Prince Charles look, since it wasn't too out of place and it was magically generated by Rumple, but the Camelot outfit didn't look like anything being worn by any other character, and it was supposed to have been something found at Camelot. It was like they were more worried about Hook looking like Hook and fitting that branding than they were about him looking like he found clothes at Camelot. It would have been interesting seeing him out of his comfort zone, dressed in more Camelot style attire like David was wearing, and maybe in a color other than black.

Then there's the Storybrooke outfit. It was a bad sign when the actual costume was nearly identical to all the Photoshopped guesses and hoaxes that had come up during the summer. That suggests very little imagination. They do seem to slightly change the shirt and waistcoat, but you have to be paying close attention to notice the subtle differences between really dark blue, black, and black with faint purple patterns, and they have moved from leather pants to black jeans, but again, you have to be paying attention. Dark Hook just changed to the same clothes in slightly different fabrics. He didn't get a total makeover like Emma did. I don't see why they couldn't let it be obvious that he changed shirts -- one day a red one about the same shade as the Red Vest of Sex, one day a blue one in that shade Colin wears a lot that brings out his eyes, one day a white one. He could skip the waistcoat occasionally (the black jeans, a white shirt, and the black jacket would make a sharp outfit). He could wear blue jeans every so often. Does he wear that leather jacket sitting around the house? Might he occasionally wear a sweater?

It's weird that no one else seems to be quite so limited, other than maybe Rumple, but with him, a suit is kind of a uniform for him as Mr. Gold, and he does change up shirts and ties to the point that it's obvious he's not wearing the same thing all the time. It's funny that the guy who has a hook for a hand is the one who's stuck in the branding, like we won't recognize him if he's wearing something totally different.

At least they got Regina and Belle out of their standard Enchanted Forest looks while they were in Camelot. We may have joked about Belle's hot pants with the Georgian coat during the Missing Year, but at least she wasn't stuck in the iconic blue dress. Regina may tend toward the dark pantsuits in Storybrooke, but she occasionally wears bright dresses. I do gripe some about the way Regina and Snow dressed during the Missing Year because they had the choice to change their looks. Regina didn't have to keep dressing like the Evil Queen. She could have removed the headdresses or changed into something more comfortable, and if Snow likes her hair short in Storybrooke, she could have cut it upon the return to the Enchanted Forest (her short do was so cute with the Camelot clothes). So they do have some boxes for the other characters. Hook just has a worse rut than anyone.

I understand the jacket since it has to be customized with one sleeve longer to accommodate the hook. I do wish they would switch up the shirt and waistcoat more though.

The only time Hook removed his jacket on screen is when he had two hands cause the sleeves won't pass over the hook. So yeah, always wearing the jacket I guess. They could open an indoor shot with the jacket off and end the scene with him leaving with it over his arm and the audience can assume he put it on once he got outside.

There are some themes in the Storybrooke costuming, though:

Regina: sleek business-appropriate suits and dresses

Emma: skinny jeans, boots, bland top, leather jacket

David: jeans, shirt, blah

Mary Margaret: twee tops, ankle-length trousers, 

Belle: Cutesy dresses

Rumple: classy suits

Hook: black leather/denim

I do wish Hook would change up his shirts and waistcoats, though, and I HATE the black jeans. He needs to wear more blue. I love a dark haired man in blue. 

Regina has a general style in Storybrooke, but that's consistent with real people. Within that overall style, she's got a fair amount of variety. She has the dark pant suits, occasionally wears skirt suits, also does suit-style trousers or skirts with nice blouses, and then there are those bright, slim-fitting dresses I covet. She adds coats and accessories in colder weather.

David's style is pretty blah, but he does get to wear entirely different shirts, and his clothing changes with the weather. He has warmer-weather clothes -- regular cotton shirts -- and cooler-weather clothes, like flannel shirts, ski vests, sometimes a sweater.

Mary Margaret had more of a mix of clothes before all the pregnancies. She had that overall 50s style, but there was a mix of colors, some pencil skirts, some fuller circle or A-line skirts, some sweaters, some blouses. She also gets to wear different clothes for different weather.

Emma is getting close to a "uniform" with the black trousers, boots, white sweater, red leather jacket thing, but she does still mix it up occasionally. Her date outfit was very different from what she wears usually, and like the other characters, her wardrobe does change with the weather.

I'm not sure Belle has worn the same outfit twice, but it's all within the same style family, except for the occasional really frumpy thing thrown into her inappropriately short skirts and schoolgirl tops wardrobe. Also, her heel height is totally out of proportion to her skirt length and silhouette, so it looks awkward.

Hook's the one person whose clothes don't change at all for the occasion or the weather. He doesn't dress up or down, doesn't add or subtract pieces when the weather is obviously different. When it's hot and sunny, he's sweltering in the leather jacket and waistcoat. When there's snow on the ground, he's wearing the same thing he wore when it was hot and sunny.

If Hook and Emma ever do get their Netflix evening, will he be sitting around the house in the leather jacket? They could get a similar effect in hiding the arm length of the hook with a bulky fisherman's sweater, the kind with thick cuffs that come down over the hands a bit. He's a sailor, so that kind of sweater would make sense for him.

Hmm, I see your point, Shanna Marie. It would be an interesting challenge to the costume designers to vary Hook's wardrobe while still keeping it consistent with his overall style. How to be piratey in 21st century Maine without black leather. However, I did love his Camelot Dark Hook coat. It was ankle length and shimmery. Such a shame he only got to wear it for one episode. 

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm not sure Belle has worn the same outfit twice, but it's all within the same style family, except for the occasional really frumpy thing thrown into her inappropriately short skirts and schoolgirl tops wardrobe. Also, her heel height is totally out of proportion to her skirt length and silhouette, so it looks awkward.

Emilie is petite and she wears the mini-skirt really well. As far as "frumpy", if they put her in Free People every now and then, that brand of clothes is very bohemian looking and might not go with a more elegant skirt.

they tried to copy Belle's style with Ariel as well.

Edited by YaddaYadda
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

But for Belle, he describes an undefined mix, which definitely shows.

That kind of makes sense for her, since she didn't have a Storybrooke personality to start with. She went straight from the Enchanted Forest to the asylum to Storybrooke. Her wardrobe might be kind of what you'd expect for a girl from another world with a very different sense of style turned loose in our world's shops with Mr. Gold's credit card -- well, except for the scary short skirts worn with the scary high heels. But I would expect her style to be all over the map. Hook took his time acclimating to our world before he started wearing local clothes, and there he seems to have gone for as close to his Enchanted Forest look as he could come with clothes he bought here -- though, strangely, with less color. He has no equivalent to the Red Vest of Sex in his Storybrooke look.

Promo that shows Al and Jas' costume:

I HATE Aladdin's look. Jasmine looks great (if overly opulent) but Aladdin...no. Just no.

Maybe I just had high hopes considering that this was my first Disney crush, but the Broadway musical did his costume so much better!

I really liked what Zelena was wearing when she was unpacking boxes. The happy farmgirl look was very in tune with her background and reflected her new position well. She goes back to her Wicked Witch look when she's mad at Regina.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I love that the story of Gold cutting his hair amounted to the same thought-process I use: "Eh, what the hell. How bad could it be?"

Having seen about 90% of his movies and all of "Hamish MacBeth" and "Stargate Universe," I feel qualified to say that RC invariably wears shorter better than longer. Short hair brings out more of the angles in his face. 

Of course, as with so many Your-Questions-Are-Pointless questions, why not just do it in the premier rather than make RC wear a wig for three episodes? If the idea is that EQ found it attractive while Belle found it a dodge was the entirety of the point, they could have done it earlier on with the same impact - which is to say, it really didn't have an impact either way.

OTOneH, sure, just hack it off and move on. Gold's physical attractiveness has never been one of his hang-ups. It's his internal self-image that sucks. His hair was never an important part of the story within the story. It's notable to the audience because it's been his signature look for five full seasons, but there's no law that says it has to be important to the writers.

OTOH, why not use it for a bigger plot point? I was in the camp that he'd have to use it for some protection spell or deal for Belle and the baby - tying into mythologies about men's long hair and strength.  Or tie it to some other moment that made him realize he had to start changing things for the future. Instead, it came off as something between a fit of pique and a moment of boredom. 

• Love 2

Potential spoilers in the article. Click at your own risk!

12 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Eduardo Castro interview regarding costume designing for OUAT (X).

Some interesting tidbits:

I personally hated the “Black Swan” series, it was hard to create and took many prototypes to get in on camera, but in the end not one of my favorites.

Interesting. I remember they shot several scenes with JMo in a more witchy-costume for the initial Storybrooke scenes before they changed to the more sleek leather outfit. 

My favorite costume always has been Rumplestiltskin, [the] original costume made of real baby crocodiles and Italian leather. My second favorite has to be Captian Hook.

O__o

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 2

My favorite costume always has been Rumplestiltskin, [the] original costume made of real baby crocodiles and Italian leather. My second favorite has to be Captian Hook.

"Real baby crocodiles" sounds so Rumple. He's the Cruella De Vil of reptiles, I guess?

Interesting. I remember they shot several scenes with JMo in a more witchy-costume for the initial Storybrooke scenes before they changed to the more sleek leather outfit. 

Dark Swan was weird. It was like the showrunners went to Castro and said, "Here, just make Emma look evil."

Edited by KingOfHearts

I was flipping through the McCalls pattern catalog the other day and noticed that along with Once's Evil Queen and Snow White outfits, the Dark Swan look is available too. It's such an odd look, but maybe as a Halloween costume it works as generic evil character.

My second favorite has to be Captian Hook.

Tacky remark I can't resist: Probably because he can just use the same pattern and make it up in different material. Easy!

On 2/25/2017 at 7:59 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Dark Swan was weird. It was like the showrunners went to Castro and said, "Here, just make Emma look evil."

And it didn't even make sense because there was no reason the Dark One had to change clothes and look evil. Rumple turned sparkly, but he changed clothes because he got rich when he became powerful. He didn't magically change wardrobes because he became dark. Emma might maybe have gone sparkly when she used so much of her power to save Hook, giving in to her power, but there was no reason for her to have changed clothes. Ditto with Hook, especially when he realized he was the Dark One in Storybrooke.

• Love 1

Tidbit from Creation's Toronto Con this weekend:

Emilie said that originally Rumple and Belle were supposed to conceive Gideon on the bed in the back of Gold’s shop (her words, “the dirty bed where the Apprentice died!”) but Bobby made them change it, so they had to build that bedroom set for that morning after scene where she’s sleeping and he’s getting dressed.

http://alexandralyman.tumblr.com/post/160379206093/emilie-said-that-originally-rumple-and-belle-were

• Love 3

So this may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought both Colin & Jen's makeup looked terrible during the wedding scene. I don't know if it was the lighting or the fact that the scene was done with a blue screen, but they both looked completely washed out and pale. I just saw a BTS picture from the wedding and they look so much better. You can actually see that Colin's jacket was velvet and there was some contrast with his shirt.

While I'm being critical, I also didn't like either one's hairstyle for the wedding and the set was kind of ridiculous with those large peach drapes - what was that all about??

• Love 1

I hate Emma's wedding dress, it's awful. Just a bad copy of an iconic dress. I know Jennifer wanted a vintage dress, but there were so many options. The hair and the make up were also terrible.

(edited)

I didn't mind Emma's wedding dress and makeup. I was more miffed that we didn't get a Jolly Roger wedding and instead had to settle for CGI. A rooftop wedding with a sunset has the potential to be beautiful, but not with this show's limited budget. (Also, shut up Henry about people getting sea sick on the Jolly. You have two moms who have magic who could easily cast a spell where no one gets sea sick for 24 hours.) Also, I was hoping Killian would wear his Royal Navy uniform during the wedding instead of a generic suit.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

I still wish Emma got to wear Snow's dress. That would have made more sense, and they could have made that look pretty on her.

Agreed.  That would have been my preference as well. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Can I just say that I want more flashbacks to Snow and Charming as king and queen of the Enchanted Forest, just because I freaking love Charming's outfits, especially that fur lined cape thing he wears? He looks like Ned Stark, super regal while also being practical and badass looking. Granted, Josh looks great in just about everything, but those outfits really do make him look like a super badass Disney Prince.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Ever since Ginny became pregnant, his team have dressed her like a frump. Not to mention the terrible hair styling and wigs. 

Seriously, an award should be given for Best Sustained Effort to Make Someone Look Horrible.

• Love 3