Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

From the very first introduction, when she put her hands on her hips & kind of wiggled, I said to the cats, "Ain't she a mess?"  which opinion remained patent the entire show.  What's with all the arm swinging?  And she must use that WEN crap on her hair - it looked WAY over-conditioned.

Yeah, I'm shallow like that.

• Love 4

I can't remember if HG Wells was a TS, but I got that one. And... that was about it. I mean, I did know some other answers, but so did at least one of the contestants. 

I did not have a guess for FJ, but of course seeing Animal Farm made me slap my forehead.

I wanted Terry to continue for a while, but I like the new champ. 

• Love 4

I'm shallow too, while I didn't see at the end if they came out from behind the podium, I was convinced that was a baby doll dress and it irritated me. She had already lost me with the opening shimmy anyways.

• Love 3

Lovin' the new champ! Smart and kinda cute, too! It's great to see an engineer (hubby's a chem e)--have there been any of his ilk, train ilk, any engineering ilk on the show recently/previously? Especially fun to see one win!

Just saw your above post, Pall, and I'm willing to bet you'll have a long wait!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 1

He ran that category, and there was no applause.  Is that not done anymore?

I think the reason is that the champ buzzed in on the first one and got it wrong, then the new guy buzzed in and got it right. Maybe this caused the audience to miss that he ran the category. However, I've always wondered if the applause is impromptu or prompted by a staffer.

• Love 3

However, I've always wondered if the applause is impromptu or prompted by a staffer.

I guess I had assumed it was prompted, since I didn't think an average audience member would necessarily know to do that, or could conceivably do it in error.  We need to find an audience member who's been there when it happened.

• Love 3

I was disappointed that the Hokies weren't in the college category.  Both my nephew and his wife are engineering grads from VT.  They have two Xmas trees - a normal one and a second decorated totally in VT stuff/colors.

My alma mater is the Wildcats, which is the nickname for at least 10 Division I schools. I knew it wasn't coming up in that category.

BTW, my Christmas tree always has a bunch of Zona stuff on it, so I can relate.

• Love 2

I'm a relatively heavily tattooed female who often has unnatural hair colors, so I generally root for anybody who appears non-mainstream.  Society is slowly changing, but unquestionably certain types of people regularly question my intelligence/morals/attitude based on my appearance, so I appreciate all examples that refute these prejudices.  

• Love 4

Thanks to the Steely Dan song "Deacon Blues", I will never not know that Alabama is the Crimson Tide.

When that Wynton Marsalis clue came up, I thought, whoever answers will have to give a first and last name, right? Right??

• Love 5

The thing about Happy Days is the 1955 song was only the intro for maybe the first season (?) - Rock Around the Clock.

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy. It sounds like seasons 1 and 2 used it (from wikipedia).

eta better link

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

I got Happy Days right away, but I have no idea why. I didn't watch it much, and so far as I recall I didn't see any of the first two years. Maybe because it's burned into my head as a show about the 50s?

• Love 2

The thing about Happy Days is the 1955 song was only the intro for maybe the first season (?) - Rock Around the Clock.

And "Rock Around the Clock" was released in 1954, not 1955.

Also, I heard "In the Purple Rain" given as an answer to an earlier question, rather than just "Purple Rain," and it shouldn't have been accepted.

• Love 3

Mr. Pallida thought Sheila wagered "five" on her daily double. Based on the Matt Jackson "controversy" I thought it was established they require people to be explicit on those wagers, so she should have lost $5 not $5000. I forgot to go back to check. Anybody else catch that?

Alex said, "$5,000.00?" and she nodded, IIRC.

Also, I heard "In the Purple Rain" given as an answer to an earlier question, rather than just "Purple Rain," and it shouldn't have been accepted.

I agree. Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

I guessed "Married With Children", but toyed with "Happy Days", and then discarded it as a cable channel has been re-airing it, and I've occasionally caught the opening tune when not quick enough on the remote, and could have sworn it was a song written for the show with the words "happy days" in the lyrics.

• Love 1

I guessed "Married With Children", but toyed with "Happy Days", and then discarded it as a cable channel has been re-airing it, and I've occasionally caught the opening tune when not quick enough on the remote, and could have sworn it was a song written for the show with the words "happy days" in the lyrics.

I figured this would be the "trick question" part of the clue, that people would think of Happy Days but only remember the "Sunday, Monday, happy days!" theme song and not realize/remember that the show actually used a different song, "Rock Around the Clock," in the first two seasons.

• Love 5

I'm a relatively heavily tattooed female who often has unnatural hair colors, so I generally root for anybody who appears non-mainstream.  Society is slowly changing, but unquestionably certain types of people regularly question my intelligence/morals/attitude based on my appearance, so I appreciate all examples that refute these prejudices.

I feel the same way but due to my Southern accent. I graduated cum laude from my university, yet most people who aren't from the South treat me like I'm some stupid hillbilly. That's why all these southerners as contestants recently have made me very happy.

• Love 4

On "Rock Around the Clock," I'm pretty sure the clue specified 1955 #1 hit, not 1955 release, which is right.

And on "Purple Rain," I was sympathetic because didn't the clue say something like "only want to see you laughing here"? So he finished the phrase. 

• Love 10

For FJ, my instant thought was Happy Days, but I didn't think "Happy Days" was a 1955 song. I considered other shows but came back to that before time was up. I'd forgotten about Rock Around the Clock.

I loved Steve's story about his mom. I can picture him and his sister cracking up. It also reminded me of playing charades with my family when our mom seemed to be asleep but suddenly gave the answer to the current charade.

Good game.

All three contestants missed their DDs, and I got all three right. (Bully for me.) I wonder if Matt had a slip of the mind when he said Samuel instead Solomon, confusing S names.

OK, did Matt remind anyone else of Mr. Bean?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

Good game. I particularly liked the categories in the first round. Three good contestants.

They did have to go there with one of my pet peeves - a photo of Aristotle Onassis.

FJ was an instaget.

I wouldn't have known Onassis from the photo since I don't think I've seen many of him, but I got it instantly from the clue.  I hate when they use a photo of an easily recognizable famous person instead of just going with a well-written clue, but I'm not sure Onassis is a good example.

• Love 7

I wouldn't have known Onassis from the photo since I don't think I've seen many of him, but I got it instantly from the clue.  I hate when they use a photo of an easily recognizable famous person instead of just going with a well-written clue, but I'm not sure Onassis is a good example.

I got Onassis from the clue also.  The picture didn't help me one bit.  But why have the picture?  If the clue is well written, and I think this one was pretty obvious from the clue, they should never need to show a picture. 

• Love 5

So this show, the champ ran a category in the first round, and got his applause.  He ran another one in the second round, and didn't.  The only difference I saw is the first one was five consecutive answers, where the second one had a departure to another category (which another person answered).  There must be rules...I'd love to know what they are.

On another note, I've long thought the categories with letters in quotes forming part of the response are pretty lazy writing.  I thought I had the perfect example of that yesterday, with the "ology" category.  I sat there thinking "Man, I remember when the writers were so much more clever, and they had that classic 'All Those Ologies' category instead of using the quoted letters."  A little googling later, and it seems that 'All Those Ologies' was actually a Jokers Wild staple, not Jeopardy.  Oops!

• Love 2

I got Onassis from the clue also.  The picture didn't help me one bit.  But why have the picture?  If the clue is well written, and I think this one was pretty obvious from the clue, they should never need to show a picture. 

Good point.  Why bother with the photo at all?

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen anyone penalized for adding more words to a song title, but I could be wrong.
  • Love 4

I guess Onassis was before your time. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) In the late 60's his picture was all over the place. But, I agree. They should just go with a well-written clue. That's why I hate the pictures.

• Love 5

I don't think I've ever seen anyone penalized for adding more words to a song title, but I could be wrong.

As long as they are the correct words they are not penalized.  If they add the wrong lyrics they are penalized.

• Love 3

I guess Onassis was before your time. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) In the late 60's his picture was all over the place. But, I agree. They should just go with a well-written clue. That's why I hate the pictures.

He looked a lot younger in that photo than I remembered him. Like others, I got the answer from the clue, not the pic.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but tonight's game was the worst ever.  Boring, unimpressive contestants.  I was amazed that 2 of the 3 did not get FJ - which was so amazingly easy I thought I must be missing something.  I can't even keep track of the TSs - one that really stood out was "savant" (category, the only vowel was a).  Ugh. I am the first to recognize that it's easy to sit here and come up with the right answers, but that game was awful. 

• Love 2

I liked all of them well enough, but I couldn't root for the guy on the end because there is one real baseball team in NY, and it sure as hell isn't the Mets.

I surprised myself by getting Pious, because I know nothing about Popes and Newfoundland, because it seemed too easy.

They did seem to lack a surprising amount of knowledge. And that guy on the end kept forgetting the "A" category.

• Love 3

As somebody from Atlantic Canada, I was surprised that they all got the right geographic area but then only one could connect "Terre Neuve" to Newfoundland. I guess if you didn't speak French?

• Love 3

This is just getting ridiculous on how easy these questions are in the Jeopardy round -- a map of the Bahamas, a picture of Rick James, a statue of Jefferson Davis, a picture of gravy boat -- come on.  Heck, Lizzie was from Alabama, I'm pretty sure she knows who Jefferson Davis is. And that whole California cities ending in 'O' category was way too easy.  And then the Seven Dwarfs category -- how easy was that ?  1 in 7 chance of simply guessing correct.

Did they really go 0 for 5 in that 'A' is the only vowel category -- that's pretty sad.

I guess the Fugitive was before all of the contestant's time.

FJ was an instaget.  Newfoundland, really ?  How did Lizzie not get that, because it was pretty easy.

• Love 7

Nova Scotia means New Scot-Land, no? It's not that far from New-Found Land, if you're working from New Land, which honestly could be anything, couldn't it??

And I couldn't do jack on the "only A" category.

I guess what I'm saying is, the game was not easy for me today!

• Love 4

I'm  sad no one got The Fugitive.  And FJ was so obvious.  I'm terrible in history and I don't speak French and even I could sound out what Terre Neuve looked like.  Yes, how could they all be in the right geographic area and then not get that?  

I was also astounded at Steve's wagering.  He wagers $4000 for a DD when he already has a nice lead (in a category that seemed iffy) and does it again for the next DD and loses again.  Then his FJ wager is pathetic.  He was really lucky today.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

That was, indeed, an odd game. I've really warmed up to Steve and was very concerned when he got both his DD's wrong. That was a weird wager he made on FJ.

I got James Galway, The Fugitive, Jefferson Davis, Julian calendar and Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

FJ was an instaget for me and I know very few French words.

• Love 5

Nova Scotia means New Scot-Land, no? It's not that far from New-Found Land, if you're working from New Land, which honestly could be anything, couldn't it??

If you eliminate the hyphens that you added in, it might make more sense.

"New Scotland" doesn't contain the word land on its own, and in French, Scotland is Ecosse.

Terre actually means 'earth', so that's another clue pointing you away from "Scotland".

Although it is kind of a moot point, since Nova Scotia is not an island, and the clue specified island.

• Love 2