Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

As soon as I saw Minnesota in the clue, I thought Lutheran. I have no idea why though.

I also immediately thought Lutheran. The Upper Midwest is full of 'em. Granted, I am a technical Catholic from northern Wisconsin, so maybe I just notice that stuff. There are NO Quakers, as far as I know. That sounds like more of a Pennsylvania thing. I just thought that was the most bizarre guess. 

As for Kelly's appearance, she is definitely a bit androgynous but hey, different strokes for different folks. I tweeted that she looked like that dude from Criminal Minds, or one of the Hanson kids back in the day. That's not an insult, just an observation.

• Love 2

As soon as I saw Minnesota in the clue, I thought Lutheran. I have no idea why though.

The same thing happened to me. I didn't know why I knew it, but I knew it immediately.

The same thing happened to me. I didn't know why I knew it, but I knew it immediately.
  • Love 3

When they first If she's happy, and it seems like she is, then who cares?

The people all J. contestants should be worried about impressing--us, ie, the PTV board! :)

Edited by just prin
  • Love 3

I did too.  I believe my brain went something like "Northern Midwest States = lots of Scandinavians = Lutheran". But it was lightning fast so FJ was pretty much an instaget:)  Lakota or Quaker never even occurred to me.

• Love 2

Driving through South Carolina, I was amazed at how many Lutheran churches I saw.  I live in Georgia - I'm used to a Baptist church on every corner. The relatively heavy presence of Lutherans in SC amazed me, (I'm easily amazed) but I knew Minnesota is a hotbed of Lutherans.  It may be because of Rose Nylund & St. Olaf.

• Love 2

I really hate how Alex has to overdo it on French names and phrases. It's pretentious and annoying.

You guys, last night I had to say "genre" and I said it like Alex! It's an epidemic!

As someone who's been called sir, usually when someone only sees me from behind, I got a kick out of Kelly.

When they first showed her, I asked my parents if she was male or female. Then they said her name, and I said, "it still could go either way!"

That being said, I don't think she needs a makeover. I think we need to accept people as they are and not expect them to conform to anyone's ideas about what someone should look like. That's the kind of stuff that leads to eating disorders, plastic surgery, and sometimes even suicide. If she's happy, and it seems like she is, then who cares?

Agreed. I only saw her first show, and she clearly had taken care with her appearance, etc., and I thought she was just fine!

• Love 1

I think I missed Friday's show completely.  I live in LA, and we had a show pre-empted due to San Bernardino coverage.  Usually, when they do that, they'll run the rest of the week a day late, and then show Friday's in the Saturday repeat slot.  This time, they had two repeats on the schedule for Saturday, and I set both to tape, since I wouldn't be home.  One of them was a real repeat (part of one, anyway, due to football running long), and the other ended up being news (again, probably due to football).  I have no idea if it ever actually ran.  Oh well, doesn't sound like I missed anything too earth-shaking.  Hopefully Monday they'll pick back up with Monday--I hate not being able to come here and snark!

• Love 2

I belong to a Protestant denomination started by Swedish Lutherans (Evangelical Covenant Church), and they tend to congregate in and adore Minnesota, particularly Duluth, so that's why I got it. I don't think I would have known, otherwise. Like Kelly, the Dakotas being in the clue made me suspect it was a Native American religion, except that the word "denomination" led me back around to Protestantism.

• Love 1

LAKOTAS?

It was an instaget for me. I guess the two ladies never listened to or read Garrison Keillor. It was a much better game than yesterday's, though, and AT barely alluded to yesterday's fiasco. So I was wrong about that. Nice come from behind win by John.

I knew they were going for something that would've been the religion of German and Scandinavian immigrants, since the states in the clue originally had a lot of settlers from those parts of Europe, but I couldn't for the life of me come up with Lutheran.  At least I knew it was neither Lakota nor Quaker, however.

• Love 2

It's kind of funny, when the category was first shown I remember thinking that the only "Sargeant" I could think of offhand was Shriver, immediately followed by the thought that that probably isn't what they're going for with the category. Needless to say, I did very poorly in the category!

I thought FJ was really easy, though.

• Love 1

The tall guy boffed an answer but got an "ok" by AT. Can't recall what it was tho.

"A watched pot never doesn't boil" -- since when is that a common phrase.  And how was it ruled correct ?

The answers for the the multiple TS in that dice category were terrible -- like that Puppy paws clue for example, the answer was not just 10 as Alex indicated, it had to specifically be two 5s, because a '4'4 and a '6' do not make puppy paws.  And I didn't get the answer of '9' that Alex gave for that Studio 54 clue -- I don't think that '6' and '3' was an acceptable answer.

That Riyadh DD clue was ridiculously easy as a DD, especially in the DJ round.

And the new champ should have been ruled incorrect simply for saying hi to people in her answer.  WTF was that about ?

• Love 6

And the new champ should have been ruled incorrect simply for saying hi to people in her answer.  WTF was that about ?

I totally agree.

I did not get FJ exactly but I knew what they were going for.  I just didn't have the wording quite correct.

I thought it was overall a pretty good game. 

• Love 1

Geez, I'm really sorry Jon lost. Greg creeped me out and Liz was meh.

I was screaming "cub reporter". It's not a good thing when the game starts off with a TS, but it was okay overall.

FJ was an instaget.

"A watched pot never doesn't boil" -- since when is that a common phrase. And how was it ruled correct ?

The answers for the the multiple TS in that dice category were terrible -- like that Puppy paws clue for example, the answer was not just 10 as Alex indicated, it had to specifically be two 5s, because a '4'4 and a '6' do not make puppy paws. And I didn't get the answer of '9' that Alex gave for that Studio 54 clue -- I don't think that '6' and '3' was an acceptable answer.

That Riyadh DD clue was ridiculously easy as a DD, especially in the DJ round.

And the new champ should have been ruled incorrect simply for saying hi to people in her answer. WTF was that about ?

ITA with all of this. Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 3

"A watched pot never doesn't boil" -- since when is that a common phrase.  And how was it ruled correct ?

I thought he said, "A watched pot never...doesn't boil"--i.e. he wasn't sure if he should say "never boils" or "doesn't boil," either of which would have been OK given the way the saying was paraphrased. Still, I thought he was given a break on the time limit, maybe because he was doing so badly at that point.

No one knew "cub reporter!" I knew it via Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen.

Those animals were cool, especially the anteater.

• Love 3

Really weird that the new champ was sweeping the Familiar Brands category, then changed to a different category instead of calling the $1000 clue. Then she couldn't answer the new category questions. Very strange.

• Love 2

I also loved it when at the end, Alex said, "Well done, young lady," and she said "What?"

This could be fun.

• Love 3

Well done, young lady

Sexist?  Condescending?  Both?  Neither?  Opinions welcome.  I say both.  Alex's use of that phrase is one of the many reasons I don't like Alex.

He calls people "young man" as well.

I don't really hear "young man" as much as "young lady" or at all, really.  Maybe because the "young lady" description sets off a nerve that "young man" wouldn't. 

It doesn't bother me.

It bothers me.  I think it is because his tone of voice when he says it is sort of surprised, so not so much a compliment.  I don't like that he is describing the person by sex and age and seemingly surprised the person did well or got the right answer.  That is why I think it is both sexist and condescension.  JMO. 

I don't like what I deem as Alex's sexism (represented by commenting when a woman does well, surprise when a female contestant gets an answer right, like a contestant is supposed to), ageism (represented by "before your time"), smug superiority, arrogance, accents and impressions.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 3

Jeez, yet ANOTHER contestant from Marietta.  Remember the champ Robyn?  She's from Marietta, too.  It's not THAT big a town.

I wondered if they would have accepted "What is the FOIA?"

And reaching back into the recent past...does anyone remember what the second nickname for Charlotte, NC was?  I knew Queen City, but the other one was completely unfamiliar and now, of course, I can't remember what it was.

• Love 1

I bet the contestants were told "no acronyms" when they were told how to start their question. "FOIA" is shorter and harder to mess up and therefore the superior way to go unless otherwise instructed.

I don't want anyone else to catch it, but I now have an earworm in my head thanks to one of today's triple stumpers.

• Love 1

Jeez, yet ANOTHER contestant from Marietta.  Remember the champ Robyn?  She's from Marietta, too.  It's not THAT big a town.

And reaching back into the recent past...does anyone remember what the second nickname for Charlotte, NC was?  I knew Queen City, but the other one was completely unfamiliar and now, of course, I can't remember what it was.

Apparently Charlotte has many nicknames; take your pick: http://clclt.com/theclog/archives/2013/03/08/question-the-queen-city-charlottes-many-nicknames

I noticed the number of contestants from Marietta, too. There must have been major auditions over there! At least this one didn't have an annoying voice.

• Love 3

Apparently Charlotte has many nicknames; take your pick: http://clclt.com/theclog/archives/2013/03/08/question-the-queen-city-charlottes-many-nicknames

I read that, too, and none of them are the one that was in the clue - it was something like "Spearhead of the South" - something *really* weird like that.  I'm not sure "Spearhead" is right, but it was "...of the South."

As for newspapers spelling it "lede" - they also refer to headlines as "heds."

• Love 2

When I was a contestant, we were told not to do that, but I don't know if a correct answer would've been ruled invalid if we had.

• Love 3

Sexist?  Condescending?  Both?  Neither?  Opinions welcome.  I say both.  Alex's use of that phrase is one of the many reasons I don't like Alex.

I don't really hear "young man" as much as "young lady" or at all, really.  Maybe because the "young lady" description sets off a nerve that "young man" wouldn't. 

It bothers me.  I think it is because his tone of voice when he says it is sort of surprised, so not so much a compliment.  I don't like that he is describing the person by sex and age and seemingly surprised the person did well or got the right answer.  That is why I think it is both sexist and condescension.  JMO. 

I don't like what I deem as Alex's sexism (represented by commenting when a woman does well, surprise when a female contestant gets an answer right, like a contestant is supposed to), ageism (represented by "before your time"), smug superiority, arrogance, accents and impressions.

If I found the host of a show so distasteful, I probably wouldn't be able to watch.  I do think that Alex does some doofy and cringeworthy things, but IMO, on the "young lady" front, all of that negative interpretation may be freighting a whole lot of evil intent into a pretty innocent turn of phrase.  A definite case of mileage varying, I guess.

• Love 4
If I found the host of a show so distasteful, I probably wouldn't be able to watch.  I do think that Alex does some doofy and cringeworthy things, but IMO, on the "young lady" front, all of that negative interpretation may be freighting a whole lot of evil intent into a pretty innocent turn of phrase.  A definite case of mileage varying, I guess.

Alex bugs me.  I think my reasons for not liking him are somewhat legitimate.  Sometimes the inconsistent judging bugs.  Sometimes the categories or questions themselves bug.  Sometimes contestants bug.  I would prefer a "tell us about yourself" question, instead of the so-called cute story/Alex interview.  I would rather learn about where a person is from, what they do for a living, are they married, etc.  I don't like the Clue Crew.  I don't think they are necessary or add  to the show.  I don't like celebrities asking questions, especially long ones read slowly (looking at you, Oprah).  Given that long list of complaints, I still like the show; I like the challenge of answering the questions, so I continue to watch the show.  There have been times when I have taken breaks from watching due to one of the above or a combination of the above.  Finding the host annoying is something I deal with while mumbling things under my breath.  I would prefer someone without Alex's "idiosyncrasies" as host but I can't always get what I want.  Maybe Ken Jennings would be someone I like but some, I am sure, would not like him.

I have many issues with Jeff Probst and have not missed an episode of Survivor.  I have issues with Judge Judy and I watch Judge Judy (and she is the whole show).  Sometimes the show itself trumps the issues I might have with aspects of said show.  I deal. YMMV.

There would be a lot fewer comments in these forums if everyone liked everything about every show they watched and had no complaints or issues.  Just spent time reading comments about the latest episode of Supergirl.  The episode is being overwhelmingly panned.  I assume these same people are going to be watching next week and commenting anew. 

Maybe if he didn't do so many other things, that one comment would not be an issue in and of itself.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 2

Who else got Freedom of Information Act because of Detective Munch back on his "Homicide:LOTS days?  He was so disappointed when there wasn't anything in his file - he thought he had been such an activist...

I have been long familiar with newspapers' "burying the lead" expression, but I had no idea it was spelled "lede."  Yet another new thing to learn on Jeopardy!

I loved the penguin interrupting Johnny's discussion - he was quite outspoken...

Yes! I loved Munch and his conspiracy theories. Richard Belzer has written a few books about these. My favorite is this one - http://smile.amazon.com/UFOs-JFK-Elvis-Conspiracies-Believe-ebook/dp/B002NXORD8/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449594462&sr=1-4&keywords=richard+belzer

I didn't know lede was spelled that way either.

The penguin cracked me up. He sounded like a donkey.

• Love 2

Bazinga said:

I don't like the Clue Crew.  I don't think they are necessary or add  to the show.

I agree - the Crew is a waste of time as well as a huge waste of money.  How much does it cost to send them off to the Galapagos, Costa Rico, etc.?  For what...to stand front of a waterfall and read a clue?  Jeopardy! must have a huge budget that they don't know how to spend wisely.

• Love 5

I only knew her name because it was just this past weekend that CBS Sunday Morning featured a very interesting report about the art theft in her eponymous museum 25 years ago.

I knew it because of the art theft (I remember when it happened) but wasn't sure whether it was Stewart Gardner or Gardner Stewart; I guess and fortunately got it right.

• Love 1

I have never liked the Clue Crew. If they have extra money to spend, get more or better writers for clues. Perhaps even hold a search for their next host. I'm kidding with that, but I do feel the Clue Crew money could be cut down.

• Love 6

Well, if the category is Peru and they sent the entire clue crew to Macchu Picchu (Alex has been there, y'know) they need to get their money's worth by using them in the entire category.

But, yeah, I think they're useless (Can't really say, "clueless" can I?).  Why don't they stop wasting money on that and let the contestants win what they've earned instead of $1000 or $2000?  I never understood the reasoning behind that.

• Love 6

I agree - the Crew is a waste of time as well as a huge waste of money.  How much does it cost to send them off to the Galapagos, Costa Rico, etc.?  For what...to stand front of a waterfall and read a clue?  Jeopardy! must have a huge budget that they don't know how to spend wisely.

I thought a lot of their trips were paid for by the places getting advertising. I may not be explaining this well, but with a recent example, I assumed Brookfield Zoo paid for some of it. I wonder if this is in the fine print that I've never bothered to read at the end of the show.

• Love 1

I finally got the chance to watch an episode.

But I won't discuss it so some folks won't get upset although I don't understand why someone would come here if they haven't seen the episode. I think they're the ones who should have to avoid the thread.

But, yeah, I think they're useless (Can't really say, "clueless" can I?).  Why don't they stop wasting money on that and let the contestants win what they've earned instead of $1000 or $2000?  I never understood the reasoning behind that.

The original Jeopardy! let them keep what they earned (back when a couple of thousand dollars was a huge haul). They changed the rule (don't know exactly when) because they want contestants to go all out to win in FJ instead of playing it safe and betting low in order to keep their money.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
Why don't they stop wasting money on that and let the contestants win what they've earned instead of $1000 or $2000?  I never understood the reasoning behind that.

Because the show doesn't pay for the second and third place prizes.  Aleve does, for all the advertising every episode.  The show would be spending a lot more money to pay for second and third, even if they didn't pay what they actually won.  It's $15,000 a week for that bill, which Aleve covers.  That's also why their screens say Aleve after the scores change to show the take home winnings.

• Love 2

I was confused why Alex made sure to stress he said Constitution and not Declaration of Independence because I've never been more sure of FJ in my life and didn't see why it mattered, until Trevor said Jefferson City. And then I was confused all over again and then sad, because for some reason, knowing that James Madison is the Father of the Constitution has stuck with me since eleventh grade, which I was a junior in 1990, but obviously that is not common knowledge any more.

I was very disappointed that the NBA category was not about the actual NBA.

Wow. Three pleasant contestants in one show! Although Liz could have picked it up a bit when choosing.

Like Trevor, I also blurted out the wrong Dakota for Mount Rushmore.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I felt like the world's biggest idiot for FJ. I was born and raised in Wisconsin. I LIVED in Madison. But I didn't come up with Madison for an answer. I kept trying to remember all the OTHER states' capitols. *head desk*

• Love 5

I looked up the new champ, and he is a writer for Madam Secretary, a show I watch regularly. That made me root for him to win. The only thing that bothered me was that he went DD fishing and then missed it. I don't know why that bugs me so much, but I feel like if you're hunting for a DD you should at least get it right!

I liked his story about his wife being kissed by John Hamm.

• Love 1