Type keyword(s) to search

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I'd love to see Evans, Stan, & Mackie do a buddy movie or maybe a one-shot road trip type reality show.  They seem to have so much fun together.

I'd be down with that. It would be a lot of Mackie being Mackie, Stan laughing hysterically at his own jokes (have you seen this? Hilarious.) and Evans doing those full body laughs and that self-depreciating sarcasm he's got going on. Also, if they do total dude things like jumping over each other and giving each other bro hugs... well, they might spontaneously make everyone watching pregnant (men and women) but, you know, that's cool.

• Love 4

I think Marvel follows the plan of actually choosing the best cut of the film to open in theaters, so there's no need for a "No really, you'll like this one with the added scenes, we promise!" version.

• Love 11

Having bought the digital movie with the extras (except no commentary on the movie) I just watched that featurette and there is no music overlay. There was plenty of talking and it was longer with more people than just on set stuff. Even the gag reel that had been released had two or three more bits than what I saw posted online.

ETA I should note that all the characters (save for Cap and Tony) are discussed in the two parter Road to Civil War and that's where the Spider-Man, Wanda, Vision etc are from. There are "sections" in the featurette but it's not indexed. 

I finally got to see the movie. It was good. I loved the Black Panther which surprised me since I am not a big Chadwick Boseman fan. I cannot wait for the Black Panther movie. I didn't like the confrontation between the two groups of superheroes. It feel fake. I did love the fight with Tony, Steve, and Bucky. It was vicious and brutal. Tony was out to kill and I couldn't blame him.  

Oh, I like many in the theater was grossed out by Steve and Sharon hooking up. She is Peggy's niece for goodness sake! Yes, it is irrational, but it felt like incest. However, we did laugh at Bucky and Sam's approving reaction to the kiss.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2016 at 7:35 PM, SimoneS said:

Oh, I like many in the theater was grossed out by Steve and Sharon hooking up. She is Peggy's niece for goodness sake! Yes, it is irrational, but felt like incest. However, we did laugh at Bucky and Sam's approving reaction to the kiss.

Maybe if Emily had a bit more personality (I watched every second of Revenge, she's a bit dull) and/or the writers had integrated her into the crew a bit more, it would have felt a bit natural. Several people in my theater groaned at their kiss.

• Love 2

I think Sharon easily could have played the Natasha role (experienced Shield agent, playing off Steve) in CA: Winter Soldier, but they for whatever reason thought Steve wasn't enough to lead a movie and had to have another big MCU character there. She was barely in Winter Soldier, so her connection with Steve in Civil War is  bit of a stretch.

She would have been more included & their romance wouldn't have felt like it skipped several steps. But then romance hasn't been the MCU's strongest suit, excluding maybe Tony/Pepper (who felt like a real couple to me) and Peggy/Steve (because of the tragic angle).

• Love 3

There's a video online of different theater audience reactions around the country to parts of Civil War and the Steve/Sharon kiss...yeah most people were not loving it. If they hadn't mentioned Sharon was Peggy's niece it might have been okay and you would have heard a "Wooooo!". Intstead I heard a woman say "Ewwww!"

I think Sharon easily could have played the Natasha role (experienced Shield agent, playing off Steve) in CA: Winter Soldier, but they for whatever reason thought Steve wasn't enough to lead a movie and had to have another big MCU character there. She was barely in Winter Soldier, so her connection with Steve in Civil War is  bit of a stretch.

I think it probably would have been better, both to help establish Sharon more and would had people not hate Natasha's characterization in Age of Ultron. Honestly, Natasha's different by just a few degrees in AOU compared to Winter Soldier but it's still different enough for some fans. AOU's Black Widow I feel was a continuation from the first Avengers but a lot of people prefer the Russo's take on her than Joss Whedon's.

• Love 2

I do agree that Sharon could have easily had Nat's role in Winter Soldier, and was pissed that she didn't. Give Black Widow her own movie instead of playing second banana to another superhero!

I think Emily did the best with what she was given. She did research Sharon in the comics to have a full understanding of the character, and I don't think she should get so much scorn for just taking a role in a movie just because some people don't like who ends up with who.

• Love 1

I didn't mind him kissing Sharon so much, but I do think they should have established some sort of relationship with them.  I wonder if we were supposed to infer that they had been friendly as neighbors and he was interested in her (he did ask her out that one time)?  If so, then it didn't work well. 

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I do agree that Sharon could have easily had Nat's role in Winter Soldier, and was pissed that she didn't. Give Black Widow her own movie instead of playing second banana to another superhero!

I can't disagree with any of this.  I love Nat's role in Winter Soldier, but would have been fine if it had been Sharon instead.  It especially would have gone a long way toward making the kiss seem a little less weird. 

• Love 1

There just wasn't any build up to their relationship. They had friendly, mildly flirty scenes in Winter Solider, then Steve finds out that his neighbor was not only spying on him she's related to the first woman he really cared about and she knew that about him. Plus for Steve it wasn't 60 years ago, it was a few years ago. I know he didn't have an actual relationship with Peggy but they had a lot of build up to make me care about them. Having them kiss after he found out she's Peggy's grand niece didn't help matters either. 

They probably should've had Sharon in the Nat role in Winter Solider. Because that movie made me care about Nat and Steve as friends and I enjoyed their continuing friendship in Civil War. If it was Sharon instead I might've felt the same way and instead being slightly grossed out by their kiss. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I'm fine with it as is, but only because negative audience reaction to the abrupt transference romance (seriously, they should have had an open casket so Peggy could pass the torch Steve carried for her to Sharon) makes Bucky a more viable alternative.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

I know I'm asking for trouble by pointing this out, but nobody seemed to have this much vitriol over Austin Powers hooking up with Mrs. Kensington's daughter.  I mean he never actually hooked up with with Mrs. K because she was married, but that doesn't change the fact that he was in love with her.  

Of course none of that matters because Vanessa turned out to be a fembot all along, so I digress.

Back to the subject, we still have yet to find out how Sharon is Peggy's niece when her brother was KIA in Agent Carter.  Maybe she was adopted.  

As it is, Steve and Peggy only kissed ONCE.  He wasn't her husband/grieving widower.  Even if it wasn't exactly 60 years for Steve, it had been almost five years since he came out of the ice.  A year had passed before Peggy fell in love with Souza or whoever it was that turned out to to be Mr. Carter.  Bottom line, they both moved on with their lives.  There was still love, just a different kind of love.

And regarding the prematurity of the kiss, I took it as Steve thinking he waited too long to make a move with Peggy and deciding, especially if he wasn't sure if he never was going to see Sharon again, to just go for it.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

I only wished they'd done Steve/Sharon a bit better as not to give fuel to Stucky shippers. I'm usually fine with rabid ships like that but some of those people can get crazy. I like the memes they make though. Truthfully, I don't really need Steve to have a love interest at all (I'm personally still mourning the fact that Steve and Peggy will never be *sniffle*) but I thought Steve and Sharon were on a decent track in Winter Soldier.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2

I actually think they were setting up her brother returning at the end of Agent Carter. Mostly because that file Jack was running around with only said M. Carter, which probably meant it was about her brother, Michael. 

Yes, Peggy moved on but with someone not related to Steve Rogers. That's also an issue. There are plenty of people not related to Peggy for Steve to date. The fact that he happened to kiss her after finding out they are related is what bothers me too. Plus he didn't look that interested in her, so to me it came across like he was trying to hold on to some part of Peggy with her. I'm not a Bucky/Steve shipper but I see where people are getting that. Steve is way more interested in Bucky than he is Sharon. 

• Love 4

The whole "he dated her relative!" thing wouldn't normally bother me. I think why it seems like such a big deal here (IMO) is because it's basically the biggest detail we get about Sharon as a character. They don't flesh her out much, she doesn't get much screen time, I personally saw zero chemistry, and then Steve gets the big reveal - at his dead girlfriend's funeral no less - that Sharon and Peggy are related. It feels like the highlight of the character and her significance to Steve.

It's always nice to have more strong women in a superhero movie, but beyond the Carter name she doesn't seem to bring much that's unique to the story. If we need a secondary character in Infinity Wars to help move the storyline along, I'm hoping for more Maria Hill. She's kickass and competent, and hasn't been bogged down with an unnecessary romance.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, coppersin said:

The whole "he dated her relative!" thing wouldn't normally bother me. I think why it seems like such a big deal here (IMO) is because it's basically the biggest detail we get about Sharon as a character. They don't flesh her out much, she doesn't get much screen time, I personally saw zero chemistry, and then Steve gets the big reveal - at his dead girlfriend's funeral no less - that Sharon and Peggy are related. It feels like the highlight of the character and her significance to Steve.

It's always nice to have more strong women in a superhero movie, but beyond the Carter name she doesn't seem to bring much that's unique to the story. If we need a secondary character in Infinity Wars to help move the storyline along, I'm hoping for more Maria Hill. She's kickass and competent, and hasn't been bogged down with an unnecessary romance.

You are right, the biggest thing we know about Sharon, is her last name. The last name that is connected to a character that we know much more about. Even if Peggy and Steve never officially dated, they have that tragic "What if" love story that will be hard for anyone to replace. 

• Love 2

I remember hearing rumors of a Sharon Carter TV show, either solo or with her being slotted in to Agent Carter when Peggy's story ran its course. I wonder (assuming any of that's true) if negotiations about that could have had them holding back on Sharon's character development.

Thank you! I thought I knew how to embed; I've spent the last 15 minutes proving how very much I don't.

I just pasted the video link in and the video appeared. Easy. It's a nice function of the site's new setup.

I love T'Challa but I laughed at the "king of giving monologues while staring off into the middle distance" part!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Re Sharon, she's OK but IMO she's just a substitute for her late, great aunt Peggy and never was that more evident than the kiss. Given the circumstances and the timing, it creeped me out, not turned me on and I would say that even if I weren't a Stucky shipper. In the MCU movieverse, Steve has only had three great loves of his life-his country, Peggy and Bucky. Steve has risked his career, his reputation, his freedom, his Avengers status and even his life for Bucky more than once, as Captain America: The Winter Soldier proved. From my perspective, one doesn't risk incurring the wrath of his friends, his country and the UN to save someone if there isn't love on some level. 

On the prospect of Captain America being other than straight, I don't expect it to happen but it would neither suprise nor offend me if it did because besides the obvious, Stucky-based reasons, IIRC, both Nick Fury and Captain Marvel were originally White men in the comics and now they're neither and Marvel has not only survived, it's arguably the best comic book company in the world, so when it comes to Steve, as far as I'm concerned, better bi than Hy, as in Hydra. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

From my perspective, one doesn't risk incurring the wrath of his friends, his country and the UN to save someone if there isn't love on some level. 

I'm certain there is a lot of love for his best friend, his brother, and the last remnant of his lost world; I just don't think it is necessarily romantic love, nor do I think that only romantic love could provide enough motivation for Steve to do what he has done for Bucky.

I honestly don't have a dog in either hunt; I just wish that Marvel would not give us these very token nods to romantic relationships, which is with one exception (Tony and Pepper), what they've done.  Either give us a romantic relationship or don't but don't give us these half-assed attempts to cater to the female population (at least that's what I think they think they're doing).  As I've said previously, it's boring for those not interested in romance and annoying for those who do.

• Love 7

I get that they're trying to hold to comic continuity in regards to Sharon but it just doesn't work in the MCU. It really just does not. Sharon is a mainstay in Cap's life in the comics. Bucky was the teen sidekick that was dead and missing for decades of continuity until the early 00's. So Steve's relationship anchors in the comics are just flat out not the same as they are in the MCU.

In the MCU, Bucky is IT for Steve. You can label it however you want but Bucky is IT. He is the one he broke all sorts of rules to go rescue in the first movie, his loss changed Steve completely... he went from the guy who didn't want to kill anyone he just didn't like bullies to declaring that he was going to destroy Hydra with his bare hands after Bucky fell. Bucky's reappearance in Winter Soldier knocked him on his ass. All that mattered was stopping Hydra and getting Bucky back.

Peggy got to move on and live her life and have a family. Steve never succeeded in moving on because it was all still so close to him as far as he knew... there's everyone making jokes about how old he is when, for him, fighting in WWII was immediate recent history. Bucky's loss was recent history. He's barely had time to mourn before being thrown back into it all. Hell, not only did Peggy get to make out with Daniel Souza at the end of her second season but she had mega chemistry with Angie in the first season and there are plenty of ficcers out there that pair them up, too. Peggy wasn't shoved off to the side to be forgotten. She got to live a little more and engage in hijinks that fleshed her out and gave her options.

Basically, I have a hard time buying Sharon as anything but a distraction because she just does. not. matter. in the MCU the way she does in 616 or whatever they're calling regular Marvel comic continuity these days. Steve is shipped with a lot of characters in the MCU. Tony, Sam, Natasha, Bucky, Darcy, Thor, Peggy and while I know there are fans of Steve/Sharon the fact is that she just doesn't have the traction that the others do. The movies have done a pretty solid job of portraying Bucky as the most important person in Steve's life. That's not imaginary. Whether you want to interpret it as 'just bros' or 'they're totally fucking or wanting to fuck' is irrelevant.  Bucky is the person Steve loves most, that's been established.

And it's why the kiss with Sharon feels so... empty.

Not to mention that on set Sam and Bucky are referred to by the crew as 'Cap's two girlfriends.' Come on. Everyone knows the score.

• Love 13

Thanks for those two clips, VCRTracking; they were really neat!  It really is remarkable how much of the movie is "movie magic".  

Sort of apropos, I watched The Bourne Legacy's extras on the weekend and I was really surprised that they actually had Jeremy Renner get into an icy stream in Calgary in the winter and walk out again in order to get the shot.  They mentioned that they had consulted with hypothermia experts and had an ambulance standing by, and I really wondered if their need for verisimilitude was worth the risk.  

I'm sorry but I have to lay some of the issue with Sharon on the doorstep of the actress.   They may not have strapped her to a rocket guaranteed to send her  into the stratosphere in terms of popularity, but they didn't kneecap her either.  The Sharon as presented in the movies, is competent, dedicated (she had been Steve's "neighbor" for some time), in possession of integrity with a genuine sense of heroism (standing up to Brock in WS and helping CA and WS in CW despite the fact that it went against directives.   I think an actress with a little more charisma would have been able to turn Sharon into a runaway hit.

I prefer Natasha because I think she's a more dynamic character period.  Natasha is on the side of the angels but her instincts don't always operate that way.   Outside of Clint and until Steve, she's never trusted anyone other than herself.   Though both characters kind of ended up in the same place (in the wind after violating the accords) I'm only curious about Natasha.  I hope she shows up in another movie allowing us to know what's going on with her and where she's been.   While Steve, Sam, Clint, Wanda and Antman all escaped together, Natasha was left on her own.

• Love 6

I headcanon that Natasha helped Steve break the rest of the team out of the raft. They make a great team.

And honestly I'd prefer if TPTB kept all romances (with the exception of Tony & Pepper) out of the MCU. There just isn't time to do it justice with the convoluted plots they're attempting.

• Love 3

Ever since Winter Soldier I've wanted more information on Natasha's relationship with Nick Fury. We know that Clint brought her in. Clint was sent on a mission to kill Natasha and he 'made a different choice.' Okay, got it. But Natasha was extremely invested in Nick after he was shot in Winter Soldier. "Don't do this to me..." And she was the one we saw standing next to his body when it was believed he had died.

And when Maria got them away from Hydra and STRIKE team, while she had lost a lot of blood and needed medical attention it was: "She'll want to see him first."

I love MCU!Natasha too. I think she's a fascinating character with lots of different directions she can go but aside from Clint, her 'best friend' who brought her in from the cold, and Steve, the goodest good guy ever that came to trust her completely (which probably blows her mind a bit, really), it strikes me that her strongest relationship is with Nick Fury. Clint may have brought her in but Nick clearly is the one who decided to give her a chance. Nick probably understood the concept of 'red in my ledger' more than even Clint would have. Natasha was no doubt a get for an intelligence group like SHIELD but there's more to it than that. Natasha had a deep personal investment in Nick and I've always wanted to know more about that in the MCU.

56 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I headcanon that Natasha helped Steve break the rest of the team out of the raft. They make a great team.

I like to think that Steve and Bucky went back to bust them out and Natasha was probably waiting for them to help as well.

• Love 7

I'd love it if Natasha's and Nick's relationship was explored in greater depth. The same goes for Maria and Nick.  I don't know if we'll ever see it though.

Sadly, I think Bucky was already back in cryo when Steve broke out the team.  Steve still has bruises on his face in the cryu scene and none when he approaches Sam. Maybe T'Challa was helping Steve with the breakout.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, scriggle said:

I'd love it if Natasha's and Nick's relationship was explored in greater depth. The same goes for Maria and Nick.  I don't know if we'll ever see it though.

Sadly, I think Bucky was already back in cryo when Steve broke out the team.  Steve still has bruises on his face in the cryu scene and none when he approaches Sam. Maybe T'Challa was helping Steve with the breakout.

I think Hope, Hank, and Sharon helped Steve break the team out.

• Love 3
On 9/21/2016 at 10:51 AM, Dandesun said:

Ever since Winter Soldier I've wanted more information on Natasha's relationship with Nick Fury. We know that Clint brought her in. Clint was sent on a mission to kill Natasha and he 'made a different choice.' Okay, got it. But Natasha was extremely invested in Nick after he was shot in Winter Soldier. "Don't do this to me..." And she was the one we saw standing next to his body when it was believed he had died.

And when Maria got them away from Hydra and STRIKE team, while she had lost a lot of blood and needed medical attention it was: "She'll want to see him first."

I love MCU!Natasha too. I think she's a fascinating character with lots of different directions she can go but aside from Clint, her 'best friend' who brought her in from the cold, and Steve, the goodest good guy ever that came to trust her completely (which probably blows her mind a bit, really), it strikes me that her strongest relationship is with Nick Fury. Clint may have brought her in but Nick clearly is the one who decided to give her a chance. Nick probably understood the concept of 'red in my ledger' more than even Clint would have. Natasha was no doubt a get for an intelligence group like SHIELD but there's more to it than that. Natasha had a deep personal investment in Nick and I've always wanted to know more about that in the MCU.

I like to think that Steve and Bucky went back to bust them out and Natasha was probably waiting for them to help as well.

Someone help me out here but what exactly did Tony do to Wanda in AOU cause I didn't really pay attention to that part of the story? 

32 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

Someone help me out here but what exactly did Tony do to Wanda in AOU cause I didn't really pay attention to that part of the story? 

I can't think of Tony doing anything directly to Wanda.  There was the backstory about "Stark" and the twins

Skip to the 2 minute mark (if it doesn't already start there) 

Edited by Morrigan2575
18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I can't think of Tony doing anything directly to Wanda.  There was the backstory about "Stark" and the twins

Skip to the 2 minute mark (if it doesn't already start there) 

Thanks, but was it Stark weapons specifically that attacked them or did Tony go into Sokovia and do some damage before AOU? 

Im asking cause people talk like Tony have done some damage specifically to Wanda and owes her something and she should bare a grudge against him even after violating him mentally in AOU, setting off the Hulk in Africa, and trying to kill the Avengers.

• Love 2

I'm not aware of Stark doing anything to her directly in AoU. All we know is that Stark weapons were used in the war. 

If we're talking Civil War, he put Wonda under house arrest (for her own "protection") and Tony's attitude regarding Wanda seemed to be a key reason for Steve rejecting the Accords.

I'm not sure why people were saying in AoU or right after AoU that Tony owed Wanda. 

I know that Clint's reason for joining Team Cap seemed in part a debt he (felt) he owed to Wanda since Pietro died saving Clint.

Edited by Morrigan2575
29 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not aware of Stark doing anything to her directly in AoU. All we know is that Stark weapons were used in the war. 

If we're talking Civil War, he put Wonda under house arrest (for her own "protection") and Tony's attitude regarding Wanda seemed to be a key reason for Steve rejecting the Accords.

I'm not sure why people were saying in AoU or right after AoU that Tony owed Wanda. 

I know that Clint's reason for joining Team Cap seemed in part a debt he (felt) he owed to Wanda since Pietro died saving Clint.

I was looking at the comments in the link VCRTracking provided and people were mentioning Wanda and how she has reason to hate Tony and will be blaming him for that underwater prison. 

I understand why Tony put Wanda under house arrest but he should have explained to her why he did it. 

And Tony did not make that underwater raft or know it existed right? Cause he seemed suprised that it existed and that the others were being held in that so I don't get why people are blaming him for where Team Cap ended up.