Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Kali

While the Mutiny gang connives to find a way to pull its business out of the crapper where Westgroup left it, Gordon spends the episode quite literally going around in circles in a parking garage that doubles as a metaphor for what's become of his character.

Read the story

• Love 1

Joe metaphorically burned down the PCs an episode early this time. So did Cameron get her revenge on WestCo with Gordon's "virus?" Also, she apparently invented Doom.

Someone at HACF needs to talk to the Better Call Saul writers about a narrative arc. They even did a psychological disorder better.

How did that "virus" work? All I could make out from the readout was what appeared to be users joining the network. I'm sure it wasn't just an overload, right?

It wasn't really a virus, it was a malfunctioning program that crashed the network, just as it did earlier in the season. It was designed to map how many users were connected, hence the readout saying [x] users online or whatever.

• Love 5

Joe sabotages his career and life, Gordon is a screwup, Cameron pushes everyone away, rinse and repeat. I may have to do a Bosworth and quit this show after this season.

I'm not sure this show will get renewed, so you've got that going for you.

I'm just... so over Cameron. So over her. I really bought into Joe's "reinvention" this season and was surprised he kissed her back. But I don't think he "deserves" Sarah either as she seems to be just as crazy as Joe or Cameron just in a different way. 

Bosworth just might be the only one with his shit together.

Is it bad that as soon as Gordon fell down the stairs I laughed and said, "Oh! Poor sad sack Gordon." 

• Love 5

I want to go shooting with Donna and Cam.

I liked the shot of Joe and Sara in their empty place squared off against each other. I suppose it's not particularly groundbreaking, but it struck me, so I'll give it points.

Pleeeeese don't leeeeeeeeave meeee, Booooooozzz! I'll do anything to make you stay! Anything! Human sacrifice, even! (Gordon's not busy, right?)

• Love 2

I was glad Tom had enough self-respect to leave Cam—hopefully he won't crawl back in the finale.

It was fun to watch Bos work his mojo on those guys. I bet that helped him decide it was time to leave Mutiny. I can't say I blame him. He had nothing to do but eat toast all day (hee) and watch everyone act like kindergartners.

I had to laugh when the doctor said an illness like Gordon's can bring out other stuff. Gordon's been off since the first season. At least now he realizes he needs to do something about it all.

• Love 5

I am cautiously optimistic that the writers have a payoff for poor Gordon, otherwise it seems as if they have no idea what to do with his character.  I wanted to throw something at the TV every time we were dragged back to that damned parking garage and Gordon wandering aimlessly.  I like him best when he is interacting with the core characters, especially Joe.

I thought Joe was aware of what Cameron had given him, and was giving him the tools for his own revenge, but that would mean she actually did believe that he wasn't the one to screw Mutiny over, and I'm not sure she is capable of trusting anyone that much.  

It has always seemed to me that Joe and Cameron would wind up back together, but I thought the way they lost their significant others was far too sudden.  Perhaps the writers won't go in that direction again, but it seemed like a giant anvil to me.  

• Love 3

So, Cameron manages to keep Mutiny afloat by selling her prized game and using Joe to sabotage WestCo's conference (not sure if Joe knew, or he was telling Sara the truth about being set-up.)  But I doubt she'll consider it a victory since now both John and Tom have left.  To her credit, I don't think she can really do much about John (nor do I blame him for needing to find something more steady), but the break-up with Tom was bound to happen.  I do think she cared about him on some levels, but she was always going to put work ahead of him, which is fine, but clearly isn't something he's good with.  More importantly though, I do think it's true that she really does have feelings for Joe still.  It ain't healthy, but clearly Cameron isn't about healthy or normal relationships.

Meanwhile, Joe is probably already divorced now, since Sara clearly knows he still has feelings for Cameron and he did a crap job at denying it.  Again though, this is no surprise.  Joe in any kind of relationship, was bound to end poorly.  Of course, I wonder what his fate will be because of this and Jacob thinking he sabotaged him.

I really hope they have an idea for Gordon's story, because all of his scenes were a waste.  I'm sure there was some kind of underlining theme going on there, but I was just bored.

Highlight of the episode was easily John Bosworth charming the video game company.  I really hope he lands on his feet, but I certainly hope he doesn't go anywhere (if this show somehow gets renewed, despite probably having lower ratings then probably reruns of past AMC shows.)

• Love 2

So, Cameron manages to keep Mutiny afloat by selling her prized game and using Joe to sabotage WestCo's conference (not sure if Joe knew, or he was telling Sara the truth about being set-up.)  But I doubt she'll consider it a victory since now both John and Tom have left.  To her credit, I don't think she can really do much about John (nor do I blame him for needing to find something more steady), but the break-up with Tom was bound to happen.  I do think she cared about him on some levels, but she was always going to put work ahead of him, which is fine, but clearly isn't something he's good with.  More importantly though, I do think it's true that she really does have feelings for Joe still.  It ain't healthy, but clearly Cameron isn't about healthy or normal relationships.

Meanwhile, Joe is probably already divorced now, since Sara clearly knows he still has feelings for Cameron and he did a crap job at denying it.  Again though, this is no surprise.  Joe in any kind of relationship, was bound to end poorly.  Of course, I wonder what his fate will be because of this and Jacob thinking he sabotaged him.

I really hope they have an idea for Gordon's story, because all of his scenes were a waste.  I'm sure there was some kind of underlining theme going on there, but I was just bored.

Highlight of the episode was easily John Bosworth charming the video game company.  I really hope he lands on his feet, but I certainly hope he doesn't go anywhere (if this show somehow gets renewed, despite probably having lower ratings then probably reruns of past AMC shows.)

I'm irritated now because the writers bothered with setting up that SARA was the problem in her relationships.  I fully believed Daddy Cromwell and was expecting some exciting meltdown on the part of Sara that would function as payoff.  

But, surprise!!  Sara ain't the problem and is completely logical in her attitudes towards relationships, the problem is... Joe isn't over Cameron.  (Shocker!)

• Love 1

Oh, Joe. I do like him this season and feel bad for him. I don't like Gordon. He is not even interesting to me no matter how many issues they pile on him. I can't blame Bos for wanting to leave Mutiny but I will miss the character. 

Though what are the odds of this show even getting a third season...

I've been watching (in real time!) this show from the beginning, but this most recent episode makes me wonder why. Donna and Boz were awesome, as usual, but that was nowhere enough to offset that awful "Gordon wandering in the garage" garbage. Yeah, we get it, he's mentally ill, spiraling down, we didn't need to have it literally pushed in our face over and over.

I watch a lot of TV, so I don't really have any expectations of logic when it comes to plot - my suspension of disbelief starts as soon as I turn on the TV, and ends when I stop watching. What I mean to say is that my expectations are totally low, but that Jacob would (1) invite Joe to the investors meeting and then (2) allow him to speak was just too much even for me. That was cheap, unnecessary and ridiculous. Also, while I think Lee Pace is a good-looking man, the pushed up sleeve thing is almost enough to make me avert my eyes.

I can say without hesitation that if Boz goes, so do I. Thank heaven there's only 1 episode left.

• Love 1
Also, she apparently invented Doom.

The prison aspect was like Wolfenstein, which predated Doom by a bit. 

I'm over Cameron too. Good for her to tell Joe that she didn't blame him for WestCorp. I didn't have a problem with her giving him the disk either. I don't get why they couldn't sue though. Whether they have a case or not, a lawyer should give this a once over.

But, I'm over Cameron too. She's all over the place.

Meanwhile, Joe is probably already divorced now, since Sara clearly knows he still has feelings for Cameron and he did a crap job at denying it.

Do people not have feelings for past romantic partners though? Assuming things didn't go horribly south. Why wouldn't he still have feelings for her? Doesn't Sara have feelings for anyone in her past? I know Cameron is *there* so, sure, Sara's going to be a little put off. Isn't this the type of thing you talk out with your spouse?  

• Love 3

Joe sabotages his career and life, Gordon is a screwup, Cameron pushes everyone away, rinse and repeat. I may have to do a Bosworth and quit this show after this season.

I think Joe was as surprised as anyone when everything went haywire after he inserted the disk. Perhaps I'm too trusting, but I felt the only thing he did wrong was kiss Cameron. The way I read it, she was not convinced he wasn't behind the intellectual property theft and so sabotaged him, and because her act was so convincing, he didn't catch on.

• Love 1

If they can't come up with a better idea than to have Gordon spend the entire ep in a damn parking garage, they might as well write him off the show.

Just kill him off.

Donna will be a sad widow but still more fun to be around than Cameron.

• Love 4

Man, if Boz owned 90% of Mutiny instead of Cameron, then by 2015 in the show-verse it'd be bigger than Google, Apple, and Microsoft combined. The sad part is, when I was watching- and I've said this before- I was taking notes and thinking "I don't know if this show will get a third season, but if they do I hope Boz is a big part of it." Then, bam! Barring a sudden twist, he wouldn't be a part of any season 3 if it even happened.

I still have enjoyed this season MUCH more than season 1, but I'm getting "Silicon Valley" levels of frustration over the artifical drama and manufactured failure. I get that lawsuits are boring to viewers... so why even write the plot in the direction of easily resolved issues? Why not just have the more real situation of Westgroup taking some of that $5M and spinning up a legit, nationwide competitor without any IP theft?!? You get a similar plot but more plausible and sustainable- and a lesson on how being the "best" isn't always enough. I'm no lawyer, and I know this was talked over in last week's thread, but this seems as open and shut as any case I've heard of.

And shit like Joe at the shareholders meeting... he shouldn't have even been there, but it's frustrating to watch people behave like idiots. We're all adults, we've all had ugly office politics to deal with, and none of us self-sabotaged like that. Time and place, we all learn that in our first couple of jobs. I get that Joe the character is as manic and flighty as Cameron, but people like that tend to have a hard time winning a minor tort case on Judge Judy, much less get a keynote speech at a shareholder's meeting, mere hours after telling his boss to go fuck himself.

I do feel bad for Gordon; it's easy to say he's broken or stupid, but (even for a fictional character) he deserves some sympathy. He is mostly a good man and good father and good husband; yet has just found out that after he finally "won", and took care of his family financially for life... his own mind is betraying him. He's not a bad person, he's genuinely medically ill... but it's still awkward to watch. Oddly, I still found his drama more compelling than the juvenile shenanigans of Joe and Cameron. It's hard to watch, but seeing someone quietly laid low by their own mental illness is riveting to me; we don't see that often on TV.

This show- which I've surprisingly grown to enjoy- is so frustrating in how it has characters you like and root for (Donna, Boz, Gordon, by the end even Tom) and characters you want to personally throttle some frickin' sense into (Cameron, Joe).

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh, Joe. I do like him this season and feel bad for him. I don't like Gordon. He is not even interesting to me no matter how many issues they pile on him. I can't blame Bos for wanting to leave Mutiny but I will miss the character. 

Though what are the odds of this show even getting a third season...

I'm wondering if it has a chance of getting renewed because it's one of the few AMC programs that isn't extremely violent or zombie-filled.  

Edited by HyacinthBucket
  • Love 1
He is mostly a good man and good father and good husband; yet has just found out that after he finally "won", and took care of his family financially for life... his own mind is betraying him.

There's nothing wrong with this plot on paper. Executing it by having Gordon wander around a parking garage is not the best way to portray it. Thinking his neighbor was stealing from him was better.

I hope the show gets a 3rd season, but I loved The Killing, so there you go. I was actually thinking that these things needed to happen to Cameron because she is the kind of person that just HAS to learn the hard way. I feel bad that Joe didn't really do anything wrong but is now getting it from all sides. Hey, that is what happens when you screw over people and they get their payback.No one is going to believe you, and when they do, it may be in a very long, long time. I believe Joe has matured and changed, however Sara is a bit too jealous and clingy (even she doesn't really believe that Joe has changed). So Joe has changed and no one believes him, it is really going to take a long time to mend all of those fences. Cameron is the toddler, learning the hard way about life, falling down and bumping her head, skinning her knees, and learning how to navigate the cut throat business world. She will come out a much better business women at the end of it all (I hope, otherwise, not). Donna is still Donna, too nice all around, but I feel like that is a huge weakness for her. I think if Gordon found out about the abortion, it would crush his perception of her. Gordon has always been "brilliant" but fragile. I think we saw that his home life was not so great, so family of origin issues. Alcohol issues, so there's that. Bos, is great. I hope that the character stays on the show in some way and still helps Mutiny in his new job. 

• Love 3

I had to laugh when the doctor said an illness like Gordon's can bring out other stuff. Gordon's been off since the first season. At least now he realizes he needs to do something about it all.

Wasn't the first scene of the very first episode, Donna picking up Gordon from a police station/jail? I don't think they have ever said why he was there.

(edited)

Ouch... those ratings were bad.  I would like another season, but it does not look like that is likely with those numbers.  Also, it does  I hate the way so many viewers bailed, but I really can not blame them.  Lee Pace is an excellent actor, but the writing failed him miserably.  They wanted to make him a fascinating mysterious character (eighties Don Draper), but in the end he was nothing but a rich kid having a temper tantrum.  He looked positively dorky when he was doing things like fighting a hurricane with flashlights.  This show should is kind of hitting it's stride and I do think there is potential.

However, if there is a third season, I would not be surprised if Lee Pace bailed to focus on his fairly successful acting career.

It also does not help that there is no critical buzz to keep it afloat.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

The demographics are not favorable either.

I can see older viewers being nostalgic about the '80s but the coveted younger viewers?

Seems like the promotions were pretty limited, compared to the first season, which they ran all the time during Mad Men and Walking Dead.

• Love 2

I'll watch S3. They really lacked a narrative focus this season though. On paper, I don't know how you could screw up young hackers in the 80s and video games. 

My only comment is that Cameron's bare midriff was awesome. That's how you dress for business meetings, and if you want to destroy a company, you just lay back in the sun and let that navel do the work. Even the camera was strategically placed in scenes for it to occupy as much screen space as possible. 

Oh, long open coat plus bare midriff? Wow.

• Love 2
(edited)

At least the last two times (Westgroup takeover and the 1985 DDoSing), it really wasn't Joe's fault.

I still surmise that future historial mishaps (starting with the Red Sox losing the 1986 World Series) are all his fault (he gets a pass for Challenger).

During the Gordon subplot, anyone else waiting for Walkers to pop out to chase him? Gordon meeting Mike with his pimento sandwich?

Edited by NutmegsDad
  • Love 2

I'm not seeing what Joe was sabotaging. He didn't destroy Mutiny. He warned Cameron off the sale. His wife wanted him to quit and move to CA and he agreed. I mean, I can see why Donna and Cameron would want more concrete proof that he wasn't involved, and they basically got that. I guess it's an example of life coming back to bite him.

I'm not pleased with Sara though. She did tell him to go to the meeting. He didn't invite Cameron there. So, maybe Joe should have just said, "Cameron played me. Let's just get out of here and go to CA."

• Love 1
(edited)
I'm not seeing what Joe was sabotaging.

Inadvertently he sabotaged WestCo. That's all I can come up with. Oh, and his marriage, though that was likely doomed from the start.

Edited by dubbel zout

I think he got played by Cameron. Though obviously it s fair that the others think he had something to do with it.

And I think Sara was as least as much as fault though. She was deliberately sticking it to the dad by not having him come to the wedding.

• Love 2
(edited)

while I think Lee Pace is a good-looking man, the pushed up sleeve thing is almost enough to make me avert my eyes

Oh, Word! to that. So annoying and awkward-looking.

iirc women did that with their suit jackets in the 80's, folded back but not pushed up - but not guys so much, and certainly not ALL THE TIME.

It makes his body look disproportionate, like a big kid in a too small suit.

BTW, how badly did Westco get sabotaged? did it take them down? for long? don't recall the episode too clearly when it happened to Mutiny.

Edited by grannygeek
  • Love 1
(edited)

I honestly don't care whether Joe was played by Cameron or understood what she was up to and played along, he was happy to see Jacob deservedly screwed over. However, although I understand that Sara would be distressed to see her father get messed with at a business launch, it's only business and it was unethical business that was very much at the expense of people her husband had been trying to make amends with. I'm inclined to think Sara's first marriage had similar issues to what is happening with Joe. Sara and Jacob batted him back and forth to annoy each other until he'd had enough and abandoned his failing business and their antics. I'm not impressed with Sara's conduct in this, I think she doesn't want the business ties between her husband and father and yet encourages them. That she is correct that Joe's history with Cameron is a problem for them is neither here nor there, that past is a big reason why she wanted to move to California and why he had agreed to do so. It just does not make sense to me that you would want change for good reasons and then decide change wasn't enough for those same reasons.

I also don't care whether or not Joe and Cameron have residual feelings for each other, unless you marry your first love very young, that's what happens, people have history and baggage. Grown-ups understand that and move forward. I think it has been telegraphed from the very first episode that Cameron and Joe are always going to be end game, but it's still disappointing to see the show believably build up credible alternate relationships, only to trash them in the penultimate episode, especially when the main problem with the pair in season one was that both of them were emotionally immature assholes and that hasn't changed enough, indeed, Cameron has become worse. I hope the plan isn't to put them back together in the finale of this season, that will be be contrived and rather nauseating.

I think the show had ideas for a narrative arc this season and there is definitely something of one there, but opposite to last year when the show displayed momentum and managed to surprise in the closing episodes, it seems to have sputtered and faded instead. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

that past is a big reason why she wanted to move to California and why he had agreed to do so.

Seriously. Then she throws it back at him. He wanted to leave and she told him to go to the meeting. I don't think Joe is losing sleep over the network crash either. It barely amounts to a minor embarrassment for them.

I think we should have got more insight into Sara's prior marriage because I'm just not getting her motivations.

I'm over TV using the feelings of past partners as somehow "wrong" too.

• Love 2

I'm a bit put off that Joe isn't getting credit for turning himself around this season. I mean, last season this was a guy willing to literally screw a venture capitalist's boyfriend just to mess up a deal and burn down a truck full of computers just to destroy his own life. Now he's married, had a decent job that he did compentently and when he had a decent idea he even tried to make amends with Cameron. He was around a lot of crappy stuff this season but he wasn't the cause of it. He even rejected Cameron's come on. I was actually happy to see him mature because it showed real character growth.

I think if we got a season three to wrap things up (ala The Killing) we could end up with a fairly decent storyline where Joe has an idea, Gordon gets some meds and he, Donna and Cameron can execute.

• Love 2

I'm not seeing what Joe was sabotaging.

Inadvertently he sabotaged WestCo. That's all I can come up with. Oh, and his marriage, though that was likely doomed from the start.

He was free and clear of Cardiff, especially with the "You get NOTHING! Good DAY, Sir!" sendoff, with his fiancee and his new job.... and with his idea that WestGroup could lease their offhours time, he roped Gordon, and then Cameron/Mutiny in where they couldn't say 'no' or extract themselves. Then it was set up for WestGroup to buy or steal Mutiny.

If he had stayed FUCKING AWAY FROM CAMERON, Mutiny would be struggling, but wouldn't have been ensnared by WestGroup through Joe.

However, Gordon and his buggy virus "help" that brought down Mutiny's network was Full Metal Joe.

However, Gordon and his buggy virus "help" that brought down Mutiny's network was Full Metal Joe.

So I am curious. If I remember correctly the program/virus, erased everything off of every computer that was connected it right? If Westgroup was using their mainframes to run their Westnet thing, does that mean that the program would have also erased all the oil company data on those computers as well? Makes me wonder how good back-up technology was in those days. 

Cameron and Donna could have said no to Joe. They wanted the cheap bandwidth. Because they couldn't say no isn't a reason to lay everything at Joe's feet. Who ended up warning Mutiny away anyway.

• Love 3

I did not see the Donna trick and virus coming, surprised by it. I don't think Joe knew about it either, he was surprised as well.

I agree its odd he would be invited to speak at this event though after quicking/being fired/whatever happened.

• Love 1