Type keyword(s) to search

My Giant Life - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time watching and commenting on this show because I most definitely don't think it will last. First of all, the camera angles and forcing the women to perch in the teensy chairs are extremely obnoxious, even by TLC standards.

Colleen's is the worst, they have her sitting sideways on this tiny wooden stool with her legs dangling all over the place.  Seriously, how many times have we watched an NBA star like Lebron James or whoever in an interview or on a talk show, and don't even notice their height that much.  It's because they're filmed normally.

• Love 2

My teenage son is 6'8 and no one stares at him and he doesn't have problems fitting into things (he has hit his head on door frames a few times!). Of course, people always ask him if he plays basketball! We noticed the tiny chairs and deceptive camera angle too. It is harder for taller women to find dates; my son's female cousin is 6'2 and doesn't date much, but that doesn't make these women freaks.

• Love 6

It seems the only men these women date are 5' 8". Nothing wrong with that, but the last time I looked there were men of various heights in the dating scene. Did this show put out a casting call for 5' 8" men?

I think the answer is  YES. Seems really fake.

• Love 2
Was half watching when hubby walked by. His words "what the hell is with the camera angles and the tiny chairs?"

The tiny chairs gave an Alice In Wonderland vibe that I found off-putting. If I had been one of the women, I would have demanded a more size-friendly chair.  I couldn't finish the first episode when this premiered.  The weird camera angles and goofy chairs made me feel outrage for the network and their attemps to make these women look awkward.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 2

But I had to skip ahead to ask so I hope this hasn't been addressed yet, but is it me or does Nancy's family talk like Napoleon dynamite?

LOL -- yes they do!  Odd voices.

• Love 4

I read something about Lindsay. It says that she's an actress and was in a movie in 2013...I forget the name. Also, she's been a professional wrestler, but not sure if she's still doing that.

I don't like Coco at all. She's too demanding and forward on her dates. I get a weird vibe from her, like she's expecting too much too soon.  I really like Nancy but agree the prom date seemed staged. He seems like a nice guy though, so hopefully she enjoyed it. I also heard her say she is the 20th best basketball player in the state, so I wonder if she'll play professionally after college.

My last question, wondering if anyone can answer this, is it possible to stop growth by the time a person goes through puberty through the use of hormones or is it not usually done?

I fell asleep and missed what was in the envelope that Lindsay got from the private investigator. Anyone?

I think it told her that she had a brother.

This show is boring. I find myself fast- forwarding through most of it. 

• Love 2

I think it told her that she had a brother.

This show is boring. I find myself fast- forwarding through most of it. 

Thank you.  I had no idea this show existed until I stumbled upon a marathon last weekend.  Being a 5'10" female, I was at first intrigued. But then, put off by the weird angles and tiny chairs.

And Hailey's dad.  Cah-reeeeee-peeeee.

• Love 5

Thank you.  I had no idea this show existed until I stumbled upon a marathon last weekend.  Being a 5'10" female, I was at first intrigued. But then, put off by the weird angles and tiny chairs.

And Hailey's dad.  Cah-reeeeee-peeeee.

The weird angles annoy me. Yes, they are tall women, but don't make them into sideshow attractions by putting them in tiny chairs and filming them from the ground up.

• Love 3

Actually last episode wasn't half bad. No Coco (yeah!), very little Lindsay (yeah!).  More focus on Nancy and Hailey's wedding.  

1. Nancy looked gorgeous all made up.

2. Her date putting his arm around her... I was laughing my ass off since it's all clearly staged. But i am glad the girl had a good time with her friends.

3. Hailey's shoe issue. Again staged. She was clearly going to wear the white running shoes.  I can't see her going down in black heels even if they were open toe.  Why didn't she buy a nice pair of white ballerina shoes or white chucks? 

4. Lindsay needs to go on Love, Lust or Run after My Giant Life.  Hopefully Stacey London can give her some fashion tips cause that outfit she was wearing when she met her mom.  Uh no no no girlfriend. 

Seems there is an update on all the participants next week. Hopefully Coco has finally found tru luv with a man that can keep up with her snark, pussy whipped when she wants him pussy whipped and same height. 

• Love 5

I also heard her say she is the 20th best basketball player in the state

Well, she is a lot closer to the net than most high school girls. If she gets the ball, I'd say there's a 95% chance it's going in.

That said, do most high schools now have junior year and senior year proms? She mentioned she was going to be a senior next year, so I'm assuming this was the junior prom, unless mini-Justin Timberlake invited her to his senior prom?  When I was in high school, we just had the senior prom.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who liked the show, but I just wish the show would stop with the freak show angle.

I really liked Hailey and Nancy - I'm glad Hailey got the wedding she wanted and Nancy had a great time at prom.

I am 'eh' on Lindsay. I don't think she is going anywhere with the acting career. If anything, she'll be cast in commercials and movies as the butt of the jokes which is really unfortunate.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2

Actually this was the senior prom that Nancy was invited to. She repeatedly mentioned her friends were seniors, and she wanted to go to the prom. So she revealed she had a crush on Shae, then he asked her to the prom.

Overall, I found aspects of the show to be interesting. Just seeing what these ladies went through being so tall. I'm sure there was some staging/manipulation, but I believe some of their awkward experiences were real.

• Love 1

I'm glad that the wedding went off without parental interruption, and that Nancy had a nice time at her prom.

At the end, though, they all said they were glad to be tall, and they wouldn't have it any other way. That's great, but it seemed a bit disingenuous after all of the talk about how hard it was to be tall, how the world wasn't made for tall people, yada, yada,yada...

• Love 2

I agree this show is mostly staged. I actually found Nancy and her mom to be the most "real". Her mom's fear when Nancy was driving a few weeks ago. Totally real. And her tears on prom night. I cracked up when the prom date said "you look good, I look good, let's do this" or something like that when the mom wanted a pic. I think the worst in terms of being disingenuous was Lindsay. Her reunion with her dad felt like a bad soap opera audition. I didn't mind the show though, good mindless summer TV.

• Love 1

Well I'm certainly glad Jesus told Haleigh's dad it was okay for her to get married.  What a fiasco that would have been if he had been a big DB and ruined it.  I really like Nancy's mom, she's very down-to-earth and genuine.  Nice episode, though it was pretty apparent that Colleen ended up on the cutting room floor, save for some ending remarks.  Guess she just didn't have a hook like the others did, with the wedding, the estranged dad, and the prom.  Coco's whole story was just Match.com misadventures.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I am 'eh' on Lindsay. I don't think she is going anywhere with the acting career. If anything, she'll be cast in commercials and movies as the butt of the jokes which is really unfortunate.

She is never going to be "star" material, but she said she had done 3 national commercials, which is pretty good.  You get paid every time they run.  I think I may have seen her in a commercial as a Swedish masseuse.  She seems to know that she will be type cast and is OK with it.  Now if she would just take some of her earnings and buy some clothes that fit!

• Love 1

What was that restaurant where they were married? I swear those apartments in the background look so familiar.

I think it was called Whiskey Red's or something like that. I'm surprised it wasn't a more traditional church setting, given the very religious content of the wedding.

• Love 1

I wish Lindsay would wear some different shoes instead of those boots.

She always looks really sloppy and should definitely invest in some clothes. The other women wear clothes that fit.

• Love 3

I

I think it was called Whiskey Red's or something like that. I'm surprised it wasn't a more traditional church setting, given the very religious content of the wedding.

This is where they got married: http://www.whiskeyreds.com/home  Looks like a nice view, but I was also surprised that they didn't get married in a church.

Thank you for posting the information. I was wrong then.

Actually last episode wasn't half bad. No Coco (yeah!), very little Lindsay (yeah!).  More focus on Nancy and Hailey's wedding.  

1. Nancy looked gorgeous all made up.

2. Her date putting his arm around her... I was laughing my ass off since it's all clearly staged. But i am glad the girl had a good time with her friends.

3. Hailey's shoe issue. Again staged. She was clearly going to wear the white running shoes.  I can't see her going down in black heels even if they were open toe.  Why didn't she buy a nice pair of white ballerina shoes or white chucks? 

4. Lindsay needs to go on Love, Lust or Run after My Giant Life.  Hopefully Stacey London can give her some fashion tips cause that outfit she was wearing when she met her mom.  Uh no no no girlfriend. 

Seems there is an update on all the participants next week. Hopefully Coco has finally found tru luv with a man that can keep up with her snark, pussy whipped when she wants him pussy whipped and same height. 

I told my dh the  shoe thing was scripted, otherwise why did she bring brand new white running shoes with her ?  I guess she could have brought them to put on later. She said that she didn't like bringing attention to her height, yet she is marring a guy who is 5'8 and she wanted to wear heels with her dress. Huh?

Will someone please take Lindsay clothes shopping and show her that the clothes she likes does come in bigger (her) size. Everything looks two sizes too small.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

I guess I'm the only one who liked the show, but I just wish the show would stop with the freak show angle.

I really liked Hailey and Nancy - I'm glad Hailey got the wedding she wanted and Nancy had a great time at prom.

I wonder if people know that you can take out parts of the traditional wedding vows that you want to, like the "does anyone object.........

• Love 1

Very true about the vows. I think the bride vowing to obey and asking if anyone objects are ridiculous in this day and time, but I think someone's father needing to walk them down the aisle is stupid too, just my opinion. I hated when Haleigh went, "Daaaaaaad!"

That wedding looked pretty low rent, I wonder if TLC would not pay for it like the Gosselin or Duggar sham vow renewals. It was odd that people had to stand up and say, "we're doing this now, talk amongst yourselves, enjoy each other's company."

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1

The bride's dad is creepy and humorless. I find his dialogue with her to be sick.  I get bad vibes from him and I think he is a control freak with both wife and daughter.

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 3

I get bad vibes from him and I think he is a control freak with both wife and daughter.

I agree.  It's almost like his wife is afraid to render an opinion on anything.  As a Christian, what really bugs me is that he keeps invoking God.  I don't want people to think that's how true Christians act.

• Love 1

Other than the freak show angle, I really like this show. Which means it will be canceled for sure. Most of my friends were ball players and very, very tall, but model esque, so at 5'2 and some change, *I* was always the freakish looking one.

I've seen Lindsay before. I don't know where. It could've been on TV or in person, but she looks so familiar.

Coco does have somewhat of an abrasive personality. I really liked the roller skating guy so I was curious what she didn't like about him. She kept saying he looked like what people would expect for her to like. Does she not like tall men?

The high school girl. I smell a set-up all over this storyline. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if her "prom date" is really a 20-year-old plant from the drama department of a local community college. And not a good one.

Ha! 21 Jump Street!

Oh Nancy, wait until your brothers get to college. Then you can date all their tall friends.

• Love 1

Coco does have somewhat of an abrasive personality. I really liked the roller skating guy so I was curious what she didn't like about him. She kept saying he looked like what people would expect for her to like. Does she not like tall men?

I agree; I couldn't figure out what was so bad about the guy. He seemed handsome and friendly. If he did something rude or awkward surely they would've shown that. Coco seems like a contrarian who hasn't come to terms with her circumstances. It's a shame because I think she's attractive and intelligent and could have a good relationship otherwise.

According to the show, she lives in LA and he lives in Sacramento which is about 1 1/2 hours away by plane, 5 hours driving.  In any case, the plane flight seemed like a set up just to show how hard it is to fly when you're 6'9".  It would have been easier to drive or take Amtrak.  Also, almost nobody uses the bathroom on a short flight. That also seemed like a setup to show how small the space is.

Heh, it's five hours if you don't leave LA during rush hour, take the I5 and drive an average speed of 80 mph! But I agree that I couldn't figure out what the "30 minutes away" referred to. Although when Lindsay was talking with her mom, she mumbled something about Lodi, and she also said she spent her childhood in Sacramento, so she must have grown up in NoCal.

I just caught this on a marathon yesterday and agree with nearly everything said above.

Major creepy vibes from religious dad. Why didn't he nail himself to that tacky giant cross, so we'd all know how he was suffering.

Coco didn't bother me as much as she did some others of you. I agree she should have included her height in the date site ads (I think that one guy stormed off in a huff more because of being filmed than because of her height though), but I was fine with her displaying her naturally more abrasive, competitive behavior in her dates (which I didn't think was all that bad). If the relationship goes anywhere better that he knows that up front than she puts on some girly, fakey, submissive personality. I hate "date" personalities.

Was it just me or did Nancy's mom seem a little slow? I couldn't figure if it was her Texas accent or that she was just a little mentally challenged. Oh, and what was all that teasing about Nancy and Shae's height difference when it was close to the difference in height between their mom and dad? Big Al, heh. Stooopid nickname.

Heh, it's five hours if you don't leave LA during rush hour, take the I5 and drive an average speed of 80 mph! But I agree that I couldn't figure out what the "30 minutes away" referred to. Although when Lindsay was talking with her mom, she mumbled something about Lodi, and she also said she spent her childhood in Sacramento, so she must have grown up in NoCal.

She had to have been talking about 30 minutes between Lodi and Sacramento, though it's probably more like 45 minutes.  I agree that you can fly down I5 and make it to the greater LA area in five hours, but once you hit that traffic, you can go ahead and add a couple hours to your drive time.

• Love 1

I think that one guy stormed off in a huff more because of being filmed than because of her height though

Trust me, he knew he was going to be filmed and had already signed his life away to the production company by the time he was shown.  I think it was one of two things: (1) the whole thing was a set up and he was just acting, or (2) he had been told the show was about one thing but it was about another.

It takes 7 hours to get to San Francisco from Los Angeles at a cruise. It takes 5 hours up the 5. It takes 45 minutes by air.

Same with Vegas... 4 hours to downtown but an hour, I think, to fly. 

People use the air option all the time.

That's true, but when you add in the time to get to the airport, wait for your flight, get a ride to you destination, it can often take the same amount of time (or less) to drive rather than taking those short flights.  But, yeah, the flight on the show was done just for the show.  Oh poor tall people.

Watching the follow up episode.  Lindsay, pull your dress down girl!  

Edited by camom

Well at least Lindsay got an acting gig... she was the RMT in the Tavelocity commercial.  Coco seemed nicer in the followup than in the whole run of My Giant Life. From her description of what she wants to find in a partner it seems to me she wants more of a friends with benefits than an actual partner. 

Nancy was Nancy and Haleigh was a happy bride.  All is right in the tall world.  

I can't see a season 2.

So Lindsay was arrested for solicitation.  I knew she was rough but damn.....

I want Nancy to find a nice 6'6" young man and have a happy life.  I want Haleigh to stay happily married and have beautiful, tall children.  I really don't care what happens to Lindsay or Coco.

• Love 1

So Lindsay was arrested for solicitation.  I knew she was rough but damn.....

Was that said in the last 5 minutes ? I missed the last 5 minutes and thought I wouldn't miss much and watch it tonight.  Explains the clothing choices and rough look.

I'm not sure exactly when she talked about it, but it was towards the end.  She said something about falling in with the wrong crowd.  Unfortunately, I can see her as a low-rent hooker.  Glad she is now pursuing other options.

• Love 1

Nancy is actually ranked 21st in the nation and 2nd at her position I think she said. Not 20th in her State but nationally.

I really do like Brian. Look at all the friends who were his groomsmen. It' a good sign when a man has a lot of guy friends. I hope the marriage lasts. She really is so young. 

• Love 1

[quote name="carrps" post="1422618" timestamp="1439839077

Was it just me or did Nancy's mom seem a little slow? I couldn't figure if it was her Texas accent or that she was just a little mentally challenged. Oh, and what was all that teasing about Nancy and Shae's height difference when it was close to the difference in height between their mom and dad? Big Al, heh. Stooopid nickname.

I feel like the whole family has a different accent... But I don't think it's a Texas accent. I'm actually from the same relative area as her, but I don't have an accent either (no, I'm not just saying that, anytime I say I'm from Texas I get "but you don't have an accent"). She lives is a pretty typical suburban area, not really a rural country area.