Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

theredhead77, what did you say when you were following up? I'm embarrassed to admit I've only ever sent thank you notes, I've never done any other following up!

I typically called Hi [name], this is theredhead77 and I am calling to follow-up on my interviews for [position]; I am super excited about the opportunity to [something] and am wondering when you will be making a decision. If I had to leave a message I always immediately sent an email "Hi so and so, I just left you a voice-mail to follow up on..."

Granted, the recruiter I was dealing with was super bad at his job, I learned that it was a small miracle I got any communication at all but the persistance, on top of the thank you notes showed I was super interested. During the interview process I always asked what their time-line is to make the decision.

I started the interview process at the beginning of November and received the official offer right before or right after Christmas.

• Love 4

I'm currently teaching an online course in workplace writing, and one week of it focuses on cover letters, resumes, and follow-up letters.  One thing I emphasize to the students is not to stick verbatim to some follow-up template from Word or other online sources. You need to express appreciation for the interview, but the follow-up letter is also the last chance to sell yourself for the position. The strategy that has worked best for me is to refer to some specific project or goal that the hiring manager mentioned in the interview, and explain very briefly (no more than 1-2 sentences) how your previous experience with similar project/goal ABC could apply to the new company's project/goal. (This is assuming that there was no time in the interview to go into detail on that particular experience; if your experience on this type of project was already discussed, then possibly add some more details.) Then close by emphasizing that you are seriously interested in the job, etc. The point is to make the hiring manager remember you in a positive way as someone who can jump right into the position and to set yourself apart from the other applicants, which a rote thank-you letter will generally not accomplish. 

I have very rarely called to follow up, but in one instance I got the response of "Glad you called; had been meaning to call you to offer you the position but got busy." If I haven't heard anything by what I consider a reasonable amount of time, I am more likely to email the hiring manager to ask about the status of the position. However, for a lot of companies, especially large ones, it's not the hiring manager who makes the phone call to extend the offer, but someone from HR. Ditto with the letter/email to tell you, "Thanks for playing, but we selected someone else."  With my current position, the hiring process started in mid-June and I got the offer the last week of August.  There were 3-4 times during the process when I assumed I had washed out of the running, because they were so slow to move forward in the process. And it was a solid 2 weeks after the final interview that I got the call from HR to ask me for permission to contact my current manager ( I was moving from one business area to another within the same company) to verify that I had a good performance record, and close to another week before I got the formal offer letter, and that was with me calling the HR person to ask WTH was going on.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

theredhead77, what did you say when you were following up? I'm embarrassed to admit I've only ever sent thank you notes, I've never done any other following up!

What about contacting the guy who told you to call him if you hadn't heard anything? He was a higher-up, wasn't he?

• Love 3

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! I'm going to follow up with the HR rep  who's been setting up the interviews next week after the holidays are over.

bilgistic, that guy was a higher up in round 3, lol. Round 4 was interviewing with his boss. 

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Petunia13 said:

This is embarrassing. Months ago when that guy was harassing me at work my eye started twitching usually after an episode of his tantrums or personal attacks.  It went away after I transferred but the stress of my business and developing a less than stellar team has my eye twitching again. My assistants in particular lack urgency and ambition. Sometimes it will do it for hours. 

Any advice? Is this possibly stress related or physical eye issues. I have dyslexia which can cause eye strain as well and I also have a sun allergy that (besides affecting my skin) makes my eye balls sensitive or blistered after sun exposure... I work inside. 

Im asking in the work thread since I know sometimes people when under tense career situations can get physically affected. 

If it doesn't stop, check with an eye doctor.  Eye twitching can be from dryness, eyelid irritation, and other stuff. 

OR - use eye drops for dryness, and also put a warm compress on your eyes for a few minutes each night, save yourself the hassle and expense of an ophthalmologist appointment. 

To follow up my assistant we'll call her B had an utter meltdown personally atttacking me today. she said I'm a horrible boss I don't thank and compliment her enough and im inconsistent. She's had issues with other managers at our store. She claimed she spoke to everyone even our company vendors and my old workplace and they agreed im horrible and "one person even said (I'm a) psycho that was ran out of that store location." 

The inconsistent comments baffle me since the job description has 12 parts and per her constant complaints she is only responsible to do 2 of the menial easy tasks and repeatedly fails completing those. Most others in that position are expected to perform them all and accurately. I've done her job and so it when she's away or behind. It seems cut and dry and simplified for her whimsy. Second whenever I or anyone try to give her direction or feedback she gets emotional or huffy. The comments about people hating me who has the time on the job to go around conducting that research or gossiping...and if she did it off the clock like the other store bs ...hello SWF called they want they're delusions back. But I just won an award unanimously for my business and am up for a promotion. Also she's worked for my business twice as long so if she's so much more personable and efficient than me she'd be able to match my productivity and be my supervisor instead of me being hers.... I accomplished more in my first few months than she has even started yet. Is not a competition but her comments are cringe. I don't even want to talk to her especially alone since she's so outlandish and angry. I did mention I wanted to develop her and help her advance and she said for me to do so I'd have to be likable she kept saying a leader has to be personable like she was putting me up on game. I just said I'm sorry she felt that way...I felt like saying each time I speak to you you act like a bitch so it's hard also you're aren't doing that well with what you are expected to already know these things hold back the coaching moments. 

• Love 1

Yes I could or have her transferred to another department like handing out samples or as a cashier. No one wants her and she refuses to do anything but the 2 tasks in my zone (poorly). Something about her doesn't sit well w me and I feel very uncomfortable. I think I may come off taciturn but that's not entirely uncivil. I have shared ways to improve (for instance she was printing out and spending hr on a daily report entitled "no review"  I asked if she knew it was not meant for our review. She bit my head off "I'm not perfect, you think you are?" She was leaving lots of things out in our space like carts of stuff half used items Piles of crumbled papers scan equipment thrown all over....I hinted then finally asked she stop. Our store is toured often and we will get dinged or in trouble for that. At best it looks like she can't focus or has half finished crap. She thought me mentioning it was picking on her when it's completely fair and something was told to tell her). The fact that she claims everyone hates me and I'm horrible is an exaggeration; I think I'm liked at least by some. The award I won was voted unanimously. Also the produce manager and I are close he surprised me and bought me a book today. I have a few colleagues that we high five or fist bump through out the day. Thursday I interview with the president of our chain for a promotion so (fingers crossed) I'll be bye bye anyhow. But I'm going to recommend someone to replace me and against her moving up. She seems unstable and conniving and like I said very slow and inefficient. I don't know what her issue is im not upset or hurt but I'm rattled like anyone would be where they are ambushed or attacked verbally even by a stranger. It's pretty gross considering I was pulling her weight and like I said has she not been a jerk or lazy I would have recommended she take my old job if I get promoted which would have been a raise for her and she'd eventually get her own team. 

For future I'm not speaking her alone or without surveillance the insults (horrible, psycho, inconsistent, (un)likable, etc) are particularly unsettling as is the comments about talking about me with vendors and claiming she went to my old store and asked about me...that's sup creepy. 

• Love 4

Okay y'all, I need some outside perspective/help getting out of my own head.

I left a message yesterday with the HR manager who has been setting up the interviews at the potential new job. She emailed me back today and said:

Thanks for reaching out and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! (Manager) is hoping to have a decision from the group before Christmas, so I'll definitely keep you posted as things progress. Here if you have any questions in the meantime. Thanks!

So, it sounds like they are interviewing multiple people for the role and I'm still in the running, right? Would it be overkill to email the department manager (who I interviewed with twice and sent thank you notes to each time) and say I'm still interested? 

• Love 1

Yes, it sounds like you are still in the running.  At this time of year, I'm sure people are busy with year-end work activities, holiday festivities, taking time off, and such, so things like this can get drawn out.  As the candidate, the job posting is the most important thing in your life, but for the hiring manager/team, it may be further down the list and they are working at their pace.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Would it be overkill to email the department manager (who I interviewed with twice and sent thank you notes to each time) and say I'm still interested? 

Everyone draws the line between proactive and pest differently when it comes to follow-ups from applicants, but I think one short email reiterating your interest (saying you understand from HR they're looking to make a decision before Christmas, look forward to hearing, blah blah blah) would be fine with most people.  But HR will probably let the group know that you followed up with her, so it's not necessary, either.  

So, just do whatever you want (write or don't write), and then get back to enjoying your free time.

• Love 6

@emma675A (I can't get rid of that A) at my former job, It took 60 days between my application and my first day on the job, and they were hurting for a third team member (my position). This was in the spring, so I'd definitely expect hiring to go much slower over the holidays.

I've learned from reading the Ask a Manager site that we as job applicants and interviewers put too much thought and angst into what the hiring staff are saying. They mean exactly what they are saying, and there are no negative undertones.

You've come this far, so be proud of yourself. You've taken control of your well-being and removed yourself from an unhealthy situation, and that was the most important thing.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

@emma675 I agree with most of the above posters. Perhaps just a short note stating that you appreciate them keeping you updated and look forward to hearing from them again. You could even state your understanding that this is a difficult time of the year to deal with years end and the holidays for them to deal with, but you are available if they need you. 

Fingers crossed. Keep you chin up. As Bilgistic stated be proud of yourself for coming this far and keep positive. 

• Love 1

Just wanted to say, you guys as a group have been giving really well thought and intelligent advice. 

Wish me luck for Thursday ?? I am pretty sure I'm interviewing with either the president or Vice President (or both) of my entire grocery store chain and in all honesty I'm nervous. 

• Love 9

@emma675

I have had experience hiring people and I can tell you that the time it is taking is much more likely to be about things going on at the office than anything else.  The holidays are just flat out busy because of vacation coverage and its hard to take on extra stuff.  And at my work, this is when they like to pile on extra stuff for reasons that defy understanding.  

Also, remember that the hiring process isn't just finding time to agree on who to hire.  They also have to find time to on board and train a new person when they start.

Thanks for reaching out and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! (Manager) is hoping to have a decision from the group before Christmas, so I'll definitely keep you posted as things progress. Here if you have any questions in the meantime. Thanks!

My reaction to this was.  Well, that is coming from a stressed out manager who doesn't want to on board/train a new person during the holidays because they want to get some time off (I might be projecting:).  They might be timing the decision so that an after New Years start date is acceptable to the person they hire.

Once the decision is made, things start moving in ways beyond the managers control.  I have had to have conversations about why new people aren't starting while I'm out of town for a week before.  It can be easier to time the decision.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, emma675 said:

Okay y'all, I need some outside perspective/help getting out of my own head.

I left a message yesterday with the HR manager who has been setting up the interviews at the potential new job. She emailed me back today and said:

So, it sounds like they are interviewing multiple people for the role and I'm still in the running, right? Would it be overkill to email the department manager (who I interviewed with twice and sent thank you notes to each time) and say I'm still interested? 

I think you can take the email from HR at face value; they're still working on a decision and you're still in the running. A few thoughts, though: 1) Around the holidays, a lot of people are off on PTO for an extended period, which may be slowing down the process because people in HR and the actual business group may be taking a week or two off. 2) If HR is hoping for a decision before Christmas, it is possible that the position you applied for is not actually funded until the new calendar year. For example, there is sometimes pressure to have the lowest headcount possible at year's end for various reasons, and jobs don't open up until the new year starts. So, maybe they knew they needed someone but are waiting to make the decision and extend an offer so that the hire won't be official until 2018. 3) Never underestimate the inefficiency of both HR and hiring managers when it comes to the hiring process. My basic guideline is to take whatever you think is the longest possible time from interview to start date, and then double that time.  I have seen HR sit on paperwork for a solid 2 weeks and hiring managers screw around for another couple of weeks, only to be shocked when they make an offer and discover their preferred candidate has taken a position elsewhere because the candidate assumed he/she had washed out of the running.  For my current job, it was 90 days from my application date to my start date, and in my area I have yet to see the hiring process be any faster than 60 days for other positions. 

• Love 7

Diverticulitis last month turned into peritonitis and I ended up having major abdominal surgery on the 11th. I've had to completely put my job search on hold. I know I was dreading going to work and so stressed about it but this is an overly extreme way to avoid it! We have a wonderful program at work where people can donate up to three days of sick leave to co-workers in situations like I'm in so thankfully I'm not going without an income while I'm out recuperating. Of course, that makes it harder to think about turning around and just leaving when I'm better. I'm also faced with wondering if I should stay because I will still need my Kaiser benefits when they reverse the sigmoid colectomy in six months and I also then have to be out another six weeks after that surgery.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 5

When I first got to my new office building my actual office wasn't clean and ready. Sure, there was IT equipment but there were boxes and crap from the prior resident. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. Have the workspace clean and ready for the new tenant, especially if they are new to the company. IT should provide a new keyboard, mouse, ear pieces for any headsets and clean the monitors & phone. The manager, or facilities department should wipe down / dust the desk and empty out the cabinets and drawers of all things not needed by the new tenant.

Anyway, my boss facilitated an office move for me, so I am no longer sitting in the closet / freezer that was my old office. New office was full of old IT equipment from the previous tenant. I boxed it up (and moved myself) but now IT is dragging their feet at collecting it.

In addition to my new office not being a freezer, I now have a window and am sitting near another team; a dramatic team with a poor leader, but at least I'm near people and not so isolated.

I found out from my old boss (which I already knew but he confirmed) that every office in my old area is a freezer. The facilities guy said he asked the HVAC team to come out but when I followed up on it he just made excuses. I asked them to close off, or move the vent and that was denied. It was after that my boss said to move me. So, yay!

I also talked with my old boss, mostly for a pep-talk  and while he'd love to have me back, things aren't as awesome as they were when I left. The awesome VP that led the charge of having fun work environment took a promotion and is now in a different area over a different group.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Diverticulitis last month turned into peritonitis and I ended up having major abdominal surgery on the 11th. I've had to completely put my job search on hold. I know I was dreading going to work and so stressed about it but this is an overly extreme way to avoid it! We have a wonderful program at work where people can donate up to three days of sick leave to co-workers in situations like I'm in so thankfully I'm not going without an income while I'm out recuperating. Of course, that makes it harder to think about turning around and just leaving when I'm better. I'm also faced with wondering if I should stay because I will still need my Kaiser benefits when they reverse the sigmoid colectomy in six months and I also then have to be out another six weeks after that surgery.

I'm sorry to that you are dealing with surgery.

I'm glad that you aren't going without pay, but a sick day donation program is the most bizarre work related thing I've heard of lately.

That seems like a huge red flag.  Maybe it works differently in reality but it reads like an underhanded tactic by the company to make it seem like they care while giving them some extra protection around too many people being out sick when someone has a legitimate reason to be out. 

But my company has pretty good disability benefits and a lot of times just pays you to avoid dealing with short term disability stuff if something like surgery comes up.  Maybe they are a unicorn and that isn't normal.  I don't know.

I can't stress enough that no matter what you decide to do, you have to keep insurance knowing that you have another surgery coming up.  I broke my ankle once and saw a bill for what the surgery would cost if I was uninsured and what the insurance company paid (because I wasn't uninsured, thankfully). What I would have paid uninsured was literally 5 times what the insurance company paid. That is when I understood that insurance companies have used their massive leverage to drive their cost down and the hospitals make up for it by bankrupting the uninsured and then pretend to be magnanimous  they if work with the uninsured to reduce their bills.

Assuming you are in the US, you can get COBRA for 18 months if you can afford it.  If you go looking for another job before the next surgery, I'd be careful to read everything about employment law before following through.  There are a ton of rules about how many hours you have to work before protection for even unpaid leave kicks in.  I don't know what else is out there to worry about, beyond the awkwardness of starting a job and then going out for 6 weeks.  That will create a lot of dilemmas around telling them at the interview.  Can you hide that its a second procedure you knew was coming, etc.?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I also talked with my old boss, mostly for a pep-talk  and while he'd love to have me back, things aren't as awesome as they were when I left. The awesome VP that led the charge of having fun work environment took a promotion and is now in a different area over a different group.

Just the other day I was thinking how much the culture of my company has changed over the years.  Not just from one person but little by little over time they just started squeezing every last amount of work from people and every last nickel to the point that its no fun at all.

Some people still try to do fun things.  Around the holidays they try to do luncheons or cookie exchanges or donation drives.  But the general reaction is that its just one more thing that adds to the stress.

When I started my company we used to have hyper competitive department decorating contests that resulted in outdoor inflatables and multiple trees, etc.  in the department.

A few years ago, we had individual contests and I mocked company policy so hard via decorating that that I was pretty sure I was getting fired.  But it was funny so I did it any way.  I brought joy to the entire region.  I didn't think about the cameras.

Now all I want is a week that ends with me having enough energy left over to put up a small tree in my house.

• Love 5

My company also provides short-term disability benefits without employees paying a premium for it, and while I haven't used that benefit lately, back when I was with another company that also provided it, short-term disability was what they used for my maternity leave. I also always elect to carry the long-term disability coverage; it's a very small cost (roughly $15/month), and it makes me feel better because if I were unable to work for an extended period of time, I'd be fucked. 

@Scout Finch, I would also be very careful to check out with any potential new employer how long it is until your health insurance benefits would kick in, and also find out if they offer the automatic short-term disability coverage, and if so, how long you have to be on the job before coverage begins. Most companies I've worked for, the health insurance and disability coverage kick in either the first day you are on the job, or at 30 days on the job. Whether to tell your potential employers you will have to be out for 6 weeks within a few months of starting a job is an awkward decision. For my current position, I told them during my second or third interview that I would be having two rounds of cataract surgery within my first 6 months on the job, but for each procedure, I knew my recovery time would be only a few days that would fall within my normal PTO. I would be hesitant to tell a potential employer about upcoming major surgery, simply because there's a huge risk that could be the deciding factor on not making an offer to you.  That may be slightly unfair to your employer, but with any employee there's always the risk of an unplanned medical event requiring several weeks out of the office. Unless the new company is a very small business, they should be prepared to deal with that possibility. For situations like yours, many companies just get a temp from a staffing agency for a fairly short assignment of 8 weeks or so, to perform at least some of the routine job functions. 

• Love 3

In my first post-college job, I worked for the state university from which I graduated. People were allowed to "donate" their unneeded paid time off when others requested it. They requestors generally used it for medical or family needs. There was a generous time off policy and a lot of people had worked for the state for years, so they'd donate. It's not done much in private industry, but it's not uncommon in government/education.

The first and only time I paid for long-term-disability coverage above the 50% pay my company automatically offered was my second post-college job. I took medical leave, and they terminated me the second my 12 weeks of FMLA ran out, so there was no chance of the LTD even starting. I filed suit against them for the situation that led up to my having to take leave. We settled for a paltry sum a year later as they were headed into bankruptcy.

Two jobs later, I was terminated the day I came back from having eye surgery. Y'all know what happened with my last job. People just don't seem to understand why I have trust issues with my employers.

ETA: Our regional marketing and PR specialist at my last job went on maternity leave in March and realized she wasn't ready to come back full-time after her FMLA was up.(June). She asked to come back part-time. The company refused. During her absence from March, we'd had to use another employee who already oversaw another district, so her workload was doubled, and therefore, all work she oversaw suffered. No replacement was hired for the open position until October.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I work for the state, and people can donate sick leave for other employees. You can only donate if it won't drop the amount of leave you have below 80 hours. A lot of people have a ridiculous amount of sick leave because if you accumulate 900-some hours, you can add a year to your retirement amount. So a lot of people use annual instead of sick leave. I think the annual policy is pretty generous compared to private industry, too. I worked at a newspaper, however, so that may color my outlook. Newspapers tend to be owned by cheapskates, especially if it is a corporation.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The first and only time I paid for long-term-disability coverage above the 50% pay my company automatically offered was my second post-college job. I took medical leave, and they terminated me the second my 12 weeks of FMLA ran out, so there was no chance of the LTD even starting. I filed suit against them for the situation that led up to my having to take leave. We settled for a paltry sum a year later as they were headed into bankruptcy.

Two jobs later, I was terminated the day I came back from having eye surgery. Y'all know what happened with my last job. People just don't seem to understand why I have trust issues with my employers.

@bilgistic,  you have worked for some really shitty companies. Every time I've taken short-term disability (once for maternity leave and a couple of times for other health issues, including surgery), my company was extremely supportive. They made it clear they wanted me back as soon as possible, but also emphasized  that they wanted me to reach full recovery before coming back. More recently, I'd had some neurological issues (which have more or less subsided), but a few days after the neurological event occurred, my manager's manager contacted me to tell me that if I needed to take time off, to do it even if I had no official PTO left, and he would essentially give me some unofficial PTO.  If I'd really needed to take a week off, he would have just written it off as comp time.  With our short-term disability, you do have to take 5 consecutive days of leave before the benefits kick in, so I would have been covered after that. Earlier in the year, he had arranged to give me a few comp days following a major project where he and I were frequently working together online until 10 pm and on weekends. And it's not just me; I know other people in my current and previous jobs who have had to go out on medical leave and been treated very supportively. Evidently there's a huge disparity between how some companies (and some managers) deal with this  kind of issue.

• Love 3

Grrr...

I have a position where basically I am a 'fact checker'.  New protocols were put in place for folks that send me information to check (I did not set up the new protocols but I need to enforce them).  They are NOT FOLLOWING the protocols.  It isn't personal, if I let this stuff go thru - it will just get rejected down the line.  But folks get extremely upset with me when I ask them to confirm or tell them that something is incorrect.  I am nice about it...not that it matters.  I had some chick CC about 20 people on an email where she ripped me a new one.  WTH?!  She kept saying she was questioning WHY I was questioning her...that she was really good at her job.  That I just need to send her stuff thru without checking it. Um? Incidentally she had to eat a piece of humble pie because not only did she not follow protocol, but some of her other information was actually flat out - incorrect.  So I wrote a nice /not nice email to her saying "happy to send your file, but you may want to correct ______ and ______ first and resubmit".  And then after this big blow up yesterday that required way too much of my time and other people's time answering emails - she sent me more stuff last night that is ALSO incorrect!  LOL! 

We are all on the same team, if you will.  We just want to make sure everything is processed and goes thru without issue.  I just don't understand the snarkiness sometimes and this past week has been especially bad.  :(

• Love 8
10 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm glad that you aren't going without pay, but a sick day donation program is the most bizarre work related thing I've heard of lately.

That seems like a huge red flag.  Maybe it works differently in reality but it reads like an underhanded tactic by the company to make it seem like they care while giving them some extra protection around too many people being out sick when someone has a legitimate reason to be out.

I worked for an S & L and they had this policy and it was used a lot.  Mostly by mid and upper management because they accrued some much leave time plus sick time they could never really use it.  By the time I had been there 5 years I had 5 weeks of vacation per year plus sick time.  You started with your base vacation time, added another week for every 5 years of service and for every title you got starting with AVP.  My ex step MIL* was the head of retail banking nationwide and she had something like 3 months vacation per year.  It was common for management to donate time for someone dealing with a serious illness or family matter, but within departments, co-workers who did not have buckets of time did too if there was a need.  And this was in California where the state has a maternity leave benefit (8 - 12 weeks I think).

* She was my ex's step mother but she divorced his dad, so maybe she's my ex ex step MIL?

9 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I also always elect to carry the long-term disability coverage; it's a very small cost (roughly $15/month), and it makes me feel better because if I were unable to work for an extended period of time, I'd be fucked. 

Strong advocate of this.  I am on disability, but because I had the extra coverage through work my total benefit is 75% of what I was making at the time I was disabled until I turn 62 or 65 (I forget).  The company provided some basic Accidental Death & Disability coverage as a benefit and you could elect to increase it.  I did to tie the death benefit to $1,000,000 because my kids were still young and if anything happened to me, I wanted them to have a cushion in life.  It cost me something like $15 or $20 per months.  I seriously never expected to use it - it was a just in case thing - but I am so glad I did.

• Love 2

Well. I feel a wee bit better. I don't know if I mentioned how my awesome recruiter left and went to work for another agency--one where she would be placing attorneys, but not paralegals/legal secretaries anymore. So I couldn't follow her. I was extremely depressed over the late summer/early Fall, joking with her that she "divorced me" when she promised "never to leave me!" I've been working with her for 10 years. She joked back "it was only a separation." But it really wasn't. And the jackass who took over for her is so oblivious, clueless, has NO IDEA how to be a recruiter because he's the agency office manager, and has done JACK SHIT to try and find other opportunities for a full-time position. He's lazy and content to collect the weekly invoice payments for me being a contract employee. I shouldn't complain, really. This was initially supposed to be a two-week gig, and I've been here now for seven months. BUT. If the company is interested in making me permanent, the one I report to should be talking to jack ass, and jack ass should be aggressive in trying to get an answer. His idea of doing that? Of finding out or determining if they're interested in making me permanent? An email my supervisor here forwarded: "Hi [insert name of GC here]: Candidate really likes working there!" The candidate would be me.

Now, I know they are happy with my work; the GC (General Counsel), Deputy GC, Associate Deputy GC, CFO, CEO have had nothing but good things to say, and I keep getting more and more work to do. GC even sort of made me an offer when I had been there for two months and my predecessor (who was the temp-to-perm) was pulled and let go and I was put in her place; GC praised me and the work I did. I conveyed that to my then awesome recruiter. But between then and the typical three months (when a company or firm knows if they want to keep you), awesome recruiter left, and I've been in limbo ever since.

Couple months ago, before that lame ass email, I took the bull by the horns and told GC that I was interested in becoming permanent; this job wasn't a stop gap until something better came along. They can well afford to pay me what I would ask; but I didn't even mention benefits; just my interest. Since then, jack ass clueless is just doing nothing. She thanked me for letting her know but she needed to discuss the details/specifics with the agency. I understood and let her know, but I wanted her to know where I stood.

I'm not stupid. I've been applying on my own to other firms, because it seems in the past year or so, staffing companies don't care about finding the best placement for candidates or working hard on their behalf/best interests. It's all about commission, I guess. But they're forgetting one thing: if you don't work for your candidate, place them where they would fit, then no commission. It's been a challenge, having to do this on my own, since I've had a head hunter for nearly a decade.

But today, when I was talking to GC, and she's been confiding me in me lately, when I told her the additional work that CEO, CFO, Finance, etc. have had me doing resulting in late nights this week, she was shocked and empathetic, as they had her doing the same thing when she'd first gotten there. But, I told her, I know that she had to have this conversation with jackass clueless (I referred to him by his name, of course!), but I wanted to let her know that I wanted to become permanent; I joked it was my Christmas wish. She told me something encouraging. Sort of. She said she needed to speak with Finance; seems if they approve, then she can start the process of making me permanent. I know Finance is happy with me, because goddamned if not everyone from that department is emailing me all the time for help, and they've been happy with the quick responses and turnaround of providing them with what they need and are asking for. I'm in a unique position that I KNOW they can afford to hire me.

So fingers crossed. I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck and having my parents help me financially. It should be the other way around. I want to go on VACATION. I need a new car. I want stability. And I just hope I haven't jinxed myself by spilling my guts here.

Thanks for listening.

• Love 10

I work for a well-known global charity organization and as is usually the case with non-profits, salaries are lower but benefits tend to be a lot better; for instance, we only have to pay $60 a month towards our health insurance. We get a paid sick day each month so many employees never use all of theirs and that's where the donation option comes in. We have short-term disability but it only pays about 55% of our salary so it's much better to use donated sick time while it's available. I know my boss and at least one other co-worker donated the maximum, which is, I think, three days. There are countless others who have already offered it if needed so I should still be completely covered by the time I go back to work...where I will still have to deal with the Finance Director from Hell, which was the primary reason I wanted to get out of there. Aside from her, it's like a family there and I love working for non-profits.

• Love 4

I ran my numbers since I started in September. October and November have been record breaking. Don't get too excited, it's only $300k in sales and the top areas are at nearly $2M but after I had a good chat with my old boss, new boss and one of my top cheerleaders I feel a little better.

• Love 8

Guys, I need some help.

So, we didn't get our schedule for December until November 30th. Our new manager hates when people are scheduled off on Fridays and Mondays. I look at the schedule and not only am I working 8 straight days (with no OT because different pay periods, woo) but I was given off this Friday. Will be my first day off in 8 days. I asked my supervisor, dude who made the schedule, if the manager knew I was scheduled off that day and if it was going to be an issue. He said no, she has seen the schedule, she is aware. I went ahead and made myself a doctor's appointment for that morning.

Well, my manager sent an email out today and has made a mandatory meeting this fucking Friday right at the time of my doctor's appointment. I already know they're not going to be able to take me later, and if I reschedule it'll probably take weeks. Truthfully, it's just a check up, not a big deal, but I don't feel like I should have to come in on my day off because she chose to do this at the last minute; especially after working 8 straight days. Should I I just tell her to kick rocks? Idk if I can get written up for this or not (probably), but this is the second time in 2 months she's asked me to come in for a meeting on my day off. I did it the first time, but I just really don't want to do this again. What's the point of having a schedule if I can't make appointments or plans?

• Love 2

If you have to come in to a mandatory meeting on your so-called day off, then it's no longer a day off. It might be a partial day off, but that meeting is work. I would simply respond that your supervisor assigned this Friday as your day off, and after asking your supervisor if the manager was aware of the schedule, you have made an appointment  that would be difficult to reschedule. You relied on the accuracy of that schedule. So, you will be unable to attend the meeting but will be sure to check with your colleagues for a back-briefing on the meeting. You might point out that you have already once come in for a meeting on your day off. If she doesn't want anybody to have Friday off, then that day needs to be blocked out on the schedule so that nobody gets that day assigned as a day off.  If that is impossible for whatever reasons, then she needs to understand and accept that occasionally people will have Friday off and be unable to attend any meetings she schedules for that day. This is not rocket science. 

I understand your situation because my previous manager was adamant that we needed to attend his weekly team meetings, and threw a hissy fit if someone could not attend. I had to skip one weekly meeting because I had a medical appointment, and to get it rescheduled would have meant a delay of several weeks. He was "willing to let it go this one time, but in the future please try to avoid that kind of scheduling conflict."  And the real kicker here is that our weekly team meetings were not in any way substantive or can't miss information. It was usually 10 minutes of announcements that had already appeared on the company intranet, followed by an activity that regularly induced narcolepsy. He somehow deluded himself into thinking that it would be evidence of him doing team building to have us each read a paragraph from the company's mission and value statement document, etc. Not read and discuss it, just literally sit there while someone read aloud to us. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 6

I got called in this morning and told my services were no longer needed...it wasn't totally unexpected, as we have been going through departmental "transformation" for several months now, but I thought I might be around for a little while longer.  I'm on payroll through January 17 and get a package, so I have a little time to figure things out, it just sucks having to go back into job search mode.

• Love 8

@Moose135 I'm glad at least you have some more paychecks coming your way. The HOA's landscaper was here yesterday and was telling me that he's quitting the business but he told me that the men who work for him have no idea. What the hay? Merry Christmas and no bonus, no more paychecks to collect and no job. So it could be worse. Besides the cliche when one door closes another one opens, I expect that you will come out of this better than ever and wish you the best on your job hunt. In the meantime you have more time for your gorgeous photography. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I got called in this morning and told my services were no longer needed...it wasn't totally unexpected, as we have been going through departmental "transformation" for several months now, but I thought I might be around for a little while longer.  I'm on payroll through January 17 and get a package, so I have a little time to figure things out, it just sucks having to go back into job search mode.

I don't know why you aren't on the permanent payroll of National Geographic - your photographs are THAT good.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That blows!!!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

WTF! Merry Christmas, huh. Fuck all companies, I swear (ESPECIALLY NC companies). I'm so sorry.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

If you have to come in to a mandatory meeting on your so-called day off, then it's no longer a day off. It might be a partial day off, but that meeting is work. I would simply respond that your supervisor assigned this Friday as your day off, and after asking your supervisor if the manager was aware of the schedule, you have made an appointment  that would be difficult to reschedule. You relied on the accuracy of that schedule. So, you will be unable to attend the meeting but will be sure to check with your colleagues for a back-briefing on the meeting. You might point out that you have already once come in for a meeting on your day off. If she doesn't want anybody to have Friday off, then that day needs to be blocked out on the schedule so that nobody gets that day assigned as a day off.  If that is impossible for whatever reasons, then she needs to understand and accept that occasionally people will have Friday off and be unable to attend any meetings she schedules for that day. This is not rocket science. 

@BookWoman56, I gotta say you're a lot nicer than I am! And that is good advice, especially in a work environment where you're dealing with managers who can be hostile.

My attitude is that the meeting is mandatory for those people who are scheduled to work. Certainly they don't expect people who are on vacation to attend the meeting. So why would they expect someone who is scheduled off for that day to attend? The only difference between vacation and a regularly scheduled day off is that the former is paid time off. If it were me in this situation, I wouldn't even bother to email them or communicate the fact there's a conflict at all. In part because of what I've already said, but also because the person who scheduled the meeting can clearly see I'm scheduled off for that day. So if they want me to attend, then they need to communicate with me and say "I know you're scheduled off that day, but we really need you to participate in this meeting." Once they do that, then I can communicate the conflict with the doctor appt. In the event I've nothing scheduled for that day, they can either provide a number I can call to join the meeting over the phone, they can reschedule the meeting, or they can elect to conduct the meeting without me. That all said, my reaction to the situation is not always going to be the healthiest from a self-preservation perspective. :D

• Love 5