Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

Scout Finch, is there someone in HR or above her you can go to?

I'd say concentrate on your health and getting well. You know you're going to leave at some point (whether you quit or she starts firing people) and you need to get healthy for your next job. Your health is more important than her crappy late notes. 

• Love 5

@Scout Finch I'd start reporting her ass to HR, VP's, and anyone else who out-ranks her and let them know they're about to have a serious personnel crisis if they don't step in and do something. I'd even recommend to them that they replace her since she clearly does not fit the culture of the organization for which you work.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2017 at 0:50 AM, Scout Finch said:

In September they hired a new finance director and within a month she had demoralized and destabilized the 11 of us. Without taking the time to even meet with the three supervisors or spend any time really getting to know the department, she decided that—THREE WEEKS after she started—to completely restructure the department, give everyone new job titles and descriptions (no raises, of course) and that we needed to be "outward looking."

A prime example of If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As you noted, no one does non-profit work for the cushy pay.  Because the stress is impacting your health - at the worst possible time for you (holidays et al)  and for the charity - you need to seriously consider what is in your own best interest.  I would try to find out if she is on a 90 day probationary period, but schedule a meeting with whoever she reports to advise them of how her management style, as displayed thus far, has curtailed effective working relations/communications with the field offices and proven in office procedures.

I hope things smooth out soon.

• Love 2

This is a big week for me. I have the final interview tomorrow with the potential new job and my last day on the current job is Friday. I'm busting my butt trying to wrap up as much as I can since I really do like my coworkers. I'll also spend the week trying to avoid the horrible CMO and her trying to talk me into staying. Whew!

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

This is a big week for me. I have the final interview tomorrow with the potential new job and my last day on the current job is Friday. I'm busting my butt trying to wrap up as much as I can since I really do like my coworkers. I'll also spend the week trying to avoid the horrible CMO and her trying to talk me into staying. Whew!

Do what's best for yourself because if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be watching out for their own butts first. Yes, please don't get trapped into an uncomfortable talk with the CMO. Good luck with the final interview. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, emma675 said:

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do what's best for yourself because if the shoe was on the other foot they'd be watching out for their own butts first. Yes, please don't get trapped into an uncomfortable talk with the CMO. Good luck with the final interview. 

Once they know you're looking to leave you have a target on your back if you stay and they won't hesitate to boot you out the door if the business need arises. 

• Love 1

The final interview went well, I think. One of the co-CEO's was tough but it seemed like a good conversation and the head of Marketing (who the role would report to and who I have already interviewed with) was there and kept nodding her head as I was speaking. HOWEVER, the second co-CEO who was also supposed to be there got tied up and couldn't make it so I might have to have ANOTHER INTERVIEW  with him at some point. Good grief.

• Love 7

@emma675 Gee, this sure is turning into a long drawn out process for you but hang in there. At least if you get the job you will know that you were wanted and all their boxes were ticked. Applause for your good attitude. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Needed a space between words.
  • Love 8

It's done, my last day on the horrible job is over. And if I was not sure about quitting these last two days convinced me I made the right choice. The horrible CMO made me an hour late yesterday for my going away happy hour (she just had to have a new deck created ASAP yesterday afternoon) and then my team had to cancel lunch today because there was another urgent request. I ended up running out to grab them lunch and then I left early. I thought I would be doing a happy dance out the door but I'm just exhausted and numb.

• Love 11

I find it really annoying that places will advertise a job with a requirement that is nearly impossible to have.  Here's my example.

I'm an attorney who has worked the vast majority of my career doing insurance defense (where an insurance company hires the firm to represent its insured, a business or a person, who has been sued for damages - could be personal injury or breach of contract).  Insurance campanies tend to pay relatively low rates (currently my rate is between $165-185 as an associate, partners earn a little bit more), and are real sticklers for what gets billed.  It is a virtual certainty that an insurance company won't pay for 2 attorneys to attend anything.  

In my experience 95% of cases settle, 1% go to binding arbitration, 3% get dismissed on summary judgment/motion to dismiss, and 1% go to trial.  Insurance companies seem to hate risking trial, paying the attorney, and then also paying the verdict.  They tend to think that if  the case was winnable, it would win on summary judgment. Meaning, they never trust the facts to be enough in the defendant's favor, against an injured plaintiff, because they believe a jury will always assume the defendant has insurance and they like 'sticking it' to the insurance company.  So the insurance company would rather "save money" (i.e. attorneys fees) and just pay what is the likely verdict (as low as possible, of course).

So, in my 28 year experience, I have worked on 4 cases that actually went to trial (2 defense verdicts, 2 damage verdicts, but with significantly less liability/damages than the co-defendant). this was with 3 different lawfirms.  Of those trials, I got to "second chair" 2 (though my role was fairly limited).  The partners I worked with actually conducted the trials.  I've had a couple more cases that came close to trial, where the partner would have let me handle the trial, but the insurance company adjuster insisted that the partner handle the trial.  These cases ended up settling anyway just before trial would have begun.

Circumstances in my current employment are that I may need to get a new job in another year or so.  So I've occasionally looked at ads, just to see what was out there.  I know that given my type of experience, my options are somewhat limited.

I saw an ad today for a 'senior associate insurance defense attorney', pretty much in my wheelhouse.  But the list of requirements includes "first chair experience required".  I just have to wonder how they expect an "associate insurance defense attorney" to have first chair experience when insurance defense law has so few trials to begin with, and insurance claims adjusters always want a partner to conduct the tiral.  Where is that first chair trial experience supposed to come from?

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Where is that first chair trial experience supposed to come from?

In these situations, I still apply and I make the case for why that requirement is unable to be met. Once that's done, I explain why I would be able to take over such a responsibility even in the face of no prior experience. Still, I understand your frustration and I share it whenever I experience such listings.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

In these situations, I still apply and I make the case for why that requirement is unable to be met. Once that's done, I explain why I would be able to take over such a responsibility even in the face of no prior experience. Still, I understand your frustration and I share it whenever I experience such listings.

Oh yeah, I would still apply for that type of job (or will do so if/when the need occurs) and make the argument.  I just have to wonder at the whole "required" limitation as opposed to say "preferred".

• Love 3

Sometimes even if you apply, you get rejected anyway.  It seems many resumes these days use computers to do initial screenings.  

Whenever i I hear the radio ads for “zip recruiter” I think of how so many people are knocked out of the box due to unreasonable restrictions in the hiring process .  

• Love 1

@Hanahope The firm where I work calls the associate who takes the lead on any case "First Chair" even if the case doesn't go to trial, so I'd say as long as on any given case you're not running to a partner to approve every letter or brief you draft you already are "First Chair" regardless of when settlement occurs. It's still litigation, just because it settles doesn't make the rules any different. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lisin said:

@Hanahope The firm where I work calls the associate who takes the lead on any case "First Chair" even if the case doesn't go to trial, so I'd say as long as on any given case you're not running to a partner to approve every letter or brief you draft you already are "First Chair" regardless of when settlement occurs. It's still litigation, just because it settles doesn't make the rules any different. 

Ohhhh, yeah! I wish I could give this more likes. That makes perfect sense.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lisin said:

Oh that's great!! I will definitely do that.  More than half my case load is "first chair" then.  Thank you!!

• Love 4

This is embarrassing. Months ago when that guy was harassing me at work my eye started twitching usually after an episode of his tantrums or personal attacks.  It went away after I transferred but the stress of my business and developing a less than stellar team has my eye twitching again. My assistants in particular lack urgency and ambition. Sometimes it will do it for hours. 

Any advice? Is this possibly stress related or physical eye issues. I have dyslexia which can cause eye strain as well and I also have a sun allergy that (besides affecting my skin) makes my eye balls sensitive or blistered after sun exposure... I work inside. 

Im asking in the work thread since I know sometimes people when under tense career situations can get physically affected. 

• Love 2

My right eyelid twitched A LOT during my last job. It was like an uncontrollable muscle spasm that would last for days, then retreat, then come back. I've experienced it FAR less while being off work.

I'd never had it before that job.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

This is embarrassing. Months ago when that guy was harassing me at work my eye started twitching usually after an episode of his tantrums or personal attacks.  It went away after I transferred but the stress of my business and developing a less than stellar team has my eye twitching again. My assistants in particular lack urgency and ambition. Sometimes it will do it for hours. 

Any advice? Is this possibly stress related or physical eye issues. I have dyslexia which can cause eye strain as well and I also have a sun allergy that (besides affecting my skin) makes my eye balls sensitive or blistered after sun exposure... I work inside. 

Im asking in the work thread since I know sometimes people when under tense career situations can get physically affected. 

I googled it and stress was the first listed cause. It also said sudden-onset eye twitching is almost always benign. Other triggers listed were: tiredness, eye strain, caffeine, alcohol, dry eyes, nutritional imbalances, and allergies.

• Love 1

Seconding anxiety/stress as the cause.  It's the most annoying thing when it just starts and stops randomly.  I too have had it for days at a stretch because of stress, although not work related stress.  I never heard of magnesium for muscle cramps.  I think I need to try that.  

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Have you ever tried taking magnesium for the eye twitching? Mine used to twitch a lot and then I started magnesium for muscle cramps and it hasn't twitched since.

That's a good idea; magnesium is very good for muscles and nerves.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I've had a couple of coworkers develop eye twitches from stress (each was diagnosed by a doctor, so it wasn't just a guess) so it's definitely a possibility. 

• Love 4

Now a new member to the team, a buddy to our boss (never good), is thinking they know more than the rest of us who've been here forever.  Knows little about the system, but is being pulled off into projects.  Always a smart remark to everyone, only phrase I can think of is that they think they're too cool for school.  So someone else sent me a task to do, if/when a client goes active.  It was not certain when this would happen, but one thing had to be updated.  Been this way forever, and I get the reason why.  Buddy was copied on the email but it didn't say, "Buddy, you do this".  It was directed to me, plus we had a discussion about it.  Turns out, no definite date for going active (was to have been yesterday).  So Buddy, decided to update shit.  I was like why?  It's not active yet.  Well boss A and asshole B told me we could do it.  That goes against policy we've had for years now.  Buddy volunteered to help write up our procedures and make sure they're up to date.  I have a real problem if Buddy is actually determining what our procedures will be, however.  No knowledge of this aspect of the business whatsoever.  

If this is the way things are headed, I will have to update my resume, as I can't butt heads against the boss' friend.  He would back down as his friend knows squat, and he needs me.  That this buddy is asking others instead of people on the actual team is kind of disturbing, basically cutting those of us who've been doing the work out of the process.  Not cool at all.  Clearly Buddy wants to be in charge.  Not cool.

• Love 4

This is not a peeve about work, but it is about work. So I'm posting it here....

Today is my last day of work for the month of November. After I leave work today, I'm on vacation for the next 16 days. I don't have to be back at work until 4 December. It's ok if you hate me. LOL

• Love 10

I'm on day 5 of unemployment and I've almost finished installing baseboards in the kitchen. I've also cleaned the windows, re-caulked a shower, and cleaned out the bathroom cabinets. Painting the front porch is next. If I don't get a new job soon I may install a second floor at some point, lol.

• Love 12

I hate my new office building, I am not fond of my new position. Really regretting my decision and kicking myself for not listening to my gut instinct when I had issues with this area before I even started.

I feel like I was sold one thing and reality is completely different. I left the most amazing group of people and office culture. I loved going to work every day. Here I am isolated in an office that has no visibility (literally or figuratively) and unless I get out in the field I have very little human interaction at work. I am a department of me in this building and I feel so isolated. The support that was promised isn't happening and my counterpart for a different area has no idea what he's doing, so it's falling on me to train him and bring him back to focus on our positions instead of running around trying to create work that has nothing to do with what we do.

I'm contemplating reaching out to my old boss / old President and seeing if I can come back, somehow. I also need a money tree to repay the relocation money.

FML

Edited to add: As soon as I shared this someone in this fucking building turned on the A/C and now cold air is blasting over me and my little space heater (that is supposed to make up for how awful this office is - everyone in the building knows this office sucks) is running full steam and can't keep up.  I've asked the facilities manager to have the HVAC team close my vents over and over again. I just sent another email about it.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm on day 5 of unemployment and I've almost finished installing baseboards in the kitchen. I've also cleaned the windows, re-caulked a shower, and cleaned out the bathroom cabinets. Painting the front porch is next. If I don't get a new job soon I may install a second floor at some point, lol.

Lol...I still have lots to do in my house. Feel free to come over and help! 

Good for you getting so many projects accomplished. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate my new office building, I am not fond of my new position. Really regretting my decision and kicking myself for not listening to my gut instinct when I had issues with this area before I even started.

I feel like I was sold one thing and reality is completely different. I left the most amazing group of people and office culture. I loved going to work every day. Here I am isolated in an office that has no visibility (literally or figuratively) and unless I get out in the field I have very little human interaction at work. I am a department of me in this building and I feel so isolated. The support that was promised isn't happening and my counterpart for a different area has no idea what he's doing, so it's falling on me to train him and bring him back to focus on our positions instead of running around trying to create work that has nothing to do with what we do.

I'm contemplating reaching out to my old boss / old President and seeing if I can come back, somehow. I also need a money tree to repay the relocation money.

FML

Edited to add: As soon as I shared this someone in this fucking building turned on the A/C and now cold air is blasting over me and my little space heater (that is supposed to make up for how awful this office is - everyone in the building knows this office sucks) is running full steam and can't keep up.  I've asked the facilities manager to have the HVAC team close my vents over and over again. I just sent another email about it.

I've been reading too much Ask a Manager, so I'm going to ask if you can go to the powers that be and say, hey, what I was promised isn't happening?

The real me says trust your gut and run like the wind.

• Love 2

I did ask my boss if we can start having weekly meetings like I did with my old boss and explained that I feel really disconnected from not only my area but my company. I explained the weekly individual meetings and larger departmental meetings on a monthly basis and their benefits. The weekly meetings start the first Friday in December (since we're closed next week).

• Love 4

I was at a mediation on Friday with a bunch of baby boomers from small/medium sized firms in Jersey area who were complaining how they can’t find young associates (1-5 years) who are willing to work more than 180 hours a month, holidays and weekends, that they all want Work-life balance. 

I quietely chuckled to myself.  I'm a female Gen-Xer and I did have to look hard to find a firm where I could leave work at a decent hour most days, and have my weekends and holidays free 90% of the time.  I was definitely the odd-one out asking for this accomodation.  I'm glad that more younger attorneys are realizing that working 15 hours a day and weekends isn't all its cracked up to be.  Family life is important too.  

• Love 11
On 11/20/2017 at 2:00 PM, Hanahope said:

I was at a mediation on Friday with a bunch of baby boomers from small/medium sized firms in Jersey area who were complaining how they can’t find young associates (1-5 years) who are willing to work more than 180 hours a month, holidays and weekends, that they all want Work-life balance. 

Heaven forbid!  I went to law school knowing I wanted to work for a non-profit (practicing civil rights law), and when I wound up being at the top of my class, the dean of the career services department was shocked that I wouldn't use that ranking to go work for one of the big firms instead.  Well, a) that's kind of the opposite of what I came here to do, and b) a big hell no to having to put in all that face time at the office and then be available even when I'm at home.  The work-life balance in America is hideous in general, and at those big firms?  It's insane (seriously; if you classify 40 hours per week as part-time, you are nuts).  The money is great, but it's not worth it (and what's the point if you never have any time to enjoy the things you spend it on?).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The work-life balance in America is hideous in general, and at those big firms?  It's insane (seriously; if you classify 40 hours per week as part-time, you are nuts).  The money is great, but it's not worth it (and what's the point if you never have any time so enjoy the things you spend it on?).

And I know so many mid-sized firms that want to pretend they are "big law firms" by requiring these huge billing hours, but only paying half the amount of salary.  "Part time", if it existed at all, was considered to be 35 hours a week, and you got paid significantly less.  It was ridiculous.  I worked for one such firm that considered it 'leaving early' if you left the office before 7pm.  I worked there about 15 months.  Couldn't stand it. Yeah, I make less money, but I love being able to see my family.

• Love 8

It's been two weeks since the last interview at the potential new job and I haven't heard anything back so far. I'm really bummed, I was excited about the opportunity. I'm also annoyed that I interviewed with them four times and they didn't bother to even email me to say "thanks, but we've decided to go with someone else".

On the plus side, I've now repainted the living room and stained the concrete on the front porch. My house is going to look brand new if unemployment keeps up.

• Love 6

@emma675 I'm glad that using your time for some productivity. I'd be frustrated about not knowing as well. As well as it all went consider it good practice and think about beginning the job search again. Darn. I had really hoped this would work out for you. Yes, a simple call or email from them would have been polite. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

@emma675 did you follow up with them?

Good thought @theredhead77  perhaps a short email stating that you'd appreciate the status of the hire and even though you know it's crazy with the holidays, but you are anxious to be of help during this time and re-enter the workforce. 

@emma675 I know you don't want to pester but I've know people who get the job because they kept at it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Good thought @theredhead77  perhaps a short email stating that you'd appreciate the status of the hire and even though you know it's crazy with the holidays, but you are anxious to be of help during this time and re-enter the workforce. 

@emma675 I know you don't want to pester but I've know people who get the job because they kept at it. 

I was hired at the company I currently work for because I was constantly following up.

• Love 4