Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: I Wanda Who Will Win

• Start Topic

They don't appear to be plying the celebs with as much alcohol this season.  This does not please me.

The Sing it Wrong game was basically a riff on FOX's Don't Forget the Lyrics, but instead of blanks they get a rhyming phrase.  Makes it kinda easy but I guess it was necessary since it's a more rapid fire game than DFTL.

I was glad Jane called Chiklis out on how he was dressed.  It looked like he was headed to Home Depot for some paint and took a wrong turn into "Jane's living room"

• Love 1

I'd rather see them all in hoodies than watch all the women in 4 inch heels nearly kill themselves as they run around.

I lived for how angry the men got at the normal during the first game. He said he was competitive and had game nights! Where was his drive?!

I've realized this year that I don't care for the singing games. How do you doo tends to be painful, and this new one I found dragged on. I'm glad jane can sing but...eh. I don't need to hear it for a full game.

I liked all th celebs this time around which was good and they were all competent.

• Love 4

Man, no show gets my heart racing like this one. It's also the only reality/game show where I get caught up in the winning.

I don't care how these people dress. Just come to play. I laughed at the Chiklis joke. But, I didn't care about how he was dressed.

I cracked up at Wanda not realizing they won. You could see her waiting for the next clue.

This was a more low key affair. I don't mean that in a good or a bad way. There just wasn't anyone clawing for attention which was a nice change of pace.

The male civilian was killing me in the game. Act like you give a damn.

I actually likes the buzzer game where the winner chose who to drop on the other side over the musical chairs game.

I don't mind the singing games. I just think this one was a excuse to let Jane sing which cracked me up.

(edited)

They don't appear to be plying the celebs with as much alcohol this season.  This does not please me.

Now, that you mention it they do seem a little more clearheaded.

I'd rather see them all in hoodies than watch all the women in 4 inch heels nearly kill themselves as they run around.

I've realized this year that I don't care for the singing games. How do you doo tends to be painful, and this new one I found dragged on. I'm glad jane can sing but...eh. I don't need to hear it for a full game.

I totally wanted the women to take off their shoes, especially when the game involved them running around.

The singing game did seem like a platform for Jane Lynch.

I guess I liked the moment when Ciara bowed out of the musical chairs game as she was kind of a weak link on her team.  Is it allowed to have two pillows at once and throw one back?

I don't know that I would've picked Michael Chiklis for the last round.  He was a good player but kind had of an overpowering personality.  Some of his clues with Cheryl were not all that great.  For Bruce Willis, "he looks like me."  That said, well done.  Another team got the civilian their money.

Edited by gpgurl50

Some of his clues with Cheryl were not all that great. For Bruce Willis, "he looks like me."

Sometimes it easy to forget they're all in show biz, then they come out with something like that and I'm instantly reminded of their narcissism.  You just couldn't mention Die Hard or Moonlighting, Chiklis?  I did love CH's directness to MC's bloviating:

MC:  She's a soulful British singer...

CH:  She's a big girl.

MC:  She's a great female athlete...

CH:  Black tennis player.

• Love 9

I lived for how angry the men got at the normal during the first game. He said he was competitive and had game nights! Where was his drive?!

What was more baffling that he was holding the cube with "The" printed on it and every time "The" was in the title, it would take him FOREVER to it.  I was almost expecting Michael to go all Vic Macky on him by the end of it.

HA!  Labeling be damned, Cheryl knew what to say to get the answers out faster. 

• Love 4

I did love CH's directness to MC's bloviating:

It frequently seems like the celebs don't give the most useful clues because they don't want to describe someone physically -- I'm remembering a paaaaiinful instance of someone completely freezing up trying to give a clue for Melissa McCarthy. And they often don't even want to mention race. Cheryl Hines was great because she just went for it, and she showed it's possible to do it without putting your foot in your mouth.

• Love 4

The Sing it Wrong game was basically a riff on FOX's Don't Forget the Lyrics, but instead of blanks they get a rhyming phrase.  Makes it kinda easy but I guess it was necessary since it's a more rapid fire game than DFTL.

I've never seen DFTL but I thought this was hard, because even when I knew the song lyrics, Jane's wrong lyrics threw me off. I was following along and anticipating the next bar, and then the wrong lyrics made me stop and think and try to remember what they were supposed to be. If she had just stopped and said "give me the next line" it would have been much easier.

I thought the men's team was doomed right out of the gate with the Blockhead game (or whatever it was called) because they were terrible, especially the civilian. They redeemed themselves nicely with the last game though. I was impressed the women were able to pull ahead.

I think I've come around to the idea of having two celebrities give clues in the Celebrity Name Game. I was skeptical at first but that's two in a row who've won. I didn't watch the first season religiously but I never saw anyone win back then. Chiklis and Hines did a good job working in tandem without talking over each other.

I'd love to see an episode where none of the celebrities dress up (especially the women in those ridiculous heels). It would be fun (and/or funny) to see them come dressed as if they were hanging out at home with family, relaxed and ready to kick some ass. 

Of course you'd probably end up with one celebrity who still shows up all dressed up and swears, "I do dress this way at home, really! Yes, I hang out at 10 o'clock at night in a dress and heels!"

• Love 3
(edited)

It frequently seems like the celebs don't give the most useful clues because they don't want to describe someone physically -- I'm remembering a paaaaiinful instance of someone completely freezing up trying to give a clue for Melissa McCarthy. And they often don't even want to mention race. Cheryl Hines was great because she just went for it, and she showed it's possible to do it without putting your foot in your mouth.

I've always stressed this with the final challenge. Unless you can easily make someone guess by a certain project they did, get the race and gender out there.

Eminem - White male rapper.

Denzel - Black male actor

and then you go into their most known projects or moments they are known for.

Like with Bieber. The roast thing worked but there was no guarantee on that.

Justin Bieber - White/Male Canadian singer. Gets in a lot of trouble. Dated Selena Gomez. Discovered by Usher on Youtube. If you can't get it from that. Move on.

I've never seen DFTL but I thought this was hard, because even when I knew the song lyrics, Jane's wrong lyrics threw me off. I was following along and anticipating the next bar, and then the wrong lyrics made me stop and think and try to remember what they were supposed to be. If she had just stopped and said "give me the next line" it would have been much easier.

Which made this game better. Always go for harder, not easier. Not saying you are personally asking for that but just saying the next line is too easy. The wrong lines throw you off and make it more of a challenge.

Also, screw it, I miss the products challenge. Guess that candy bar and all that. It was fun. A great opening game. Not too hard but on the fun side.

Edited by Racj82

When my DH said, after the first game, that the guys couldn't come back from the deficit ( 4-11), I was " how can you say that? Different games give different points for scoring. It's too early." Boy, did I end up correct on that point. Still, the ladies grabbing the win from Kindergarten? Fabulous!

I was impressed with Chiklis and Hines  during the final round. Yeah, Chiklis' hints, by themselves, weren't overly helpful, but they helped Cheryl zing it for their civilian. (Except for the first one, which they passed on.)

I wasn't sure what to think of the male civilian; his inability to remember where his "The" was frustrating to me. I can only imagine how it was for him! Then, the ladies made it look relatively smooth and easy.  I liked that Wanda kept having Cheryl and/or the civilian point the block to the camera/audience. Make sure there are no doubts!

Speaking of doubts, I echo our Internet Overlord in asking someone there to look into a better buzzer podium. Better materials or whatever. This isn't the first couple of complaints about the buzzers, so I am siding with the celebrity players on this. It's season three, you got an Emmy, so spend a couple of bucks!

I enjoyed everyone, celebrity and civilian, so that was nice! I liked that the competition was close enough that the last game was the clencher. I enjoy Josh Groban not just on The Crazy Ones

I miss the products challenge.

It is only the third episode of the season. It may come up in a later show.

Having seen the game previously, DH and I enjoyed Casting Couch more this week.

I will add a vote to the "Dress a little Nicer, but Heels aren't Necessary" poll. While I wasn't impressed how the hoodie looked, I have wondered why women wear heels on this show? Are they not told there will be slight, frantic running?  I agree with the laxer dress code, but shoes with low or no heels, or boots with solid heels ( like La Messing last week) seem infinitely more comfy.

If I were a contestants, I'd want to wear slacks and Skechers (and a top), but I wonder if the producers tell you to dress up.

Man, I love Michael Chiklis. He was so f'ing fantastic as Vic Mackey. Anyone who hasn't seen The Shield, watch it.

I like Blockbuster. Jonathan was so frustrating to watch. Wow. I'm sure he was super embarrassed.

What's In A Name is almost too easy, but I guess it gives the teams the opportunity to win points and feel good about themselves.

I like Casting Couch. I was sure an Oscar was going to be one of the facts, with Al Gore being the tricky one.

I enjoyed Song Sung Wrong because I liked all of the songs. Catchy. That being said, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't played too much.

Off the Top of My Head is so much fun. I want to play it.

I was shocked when Jennifer won at the very end. There were a few times when she didn't get the name or took kind of long, so it looked like she was doomed. Also, Chiklis gave a couple of bad clues, like the Bruce Willis one. On the plus side, Jennifer's guess of Howie Mandell cracked me up.

Which made this game better. Always go for harder, not easier. Not saying you are personally asking for that but just saying the next line is too easy. The wrong lines throw you off and make it more of a challenge.

No, I wasn't saying it should be easier. I liked that it was hard. At the same time, I also thought it might have taken up too much time. Jane would sing four bars of a song before the celebs got to ring in. I don't think it was a vanity game for Jane to show off her singing (which I found to be just so-so), I just thought it dragged a little compared to some of the other games.

• Love 2

I liked how excited the other celebrities were getting, watching the bonus round at the end. They seemed to be on the edge of their seats, hoping for their teammates to get it. They were really getting into it. That was fun.

• Love 1

I found it hysterical that Ciara knew enough about herself to shake her head and do the hand gestures to discourage the winner from picking her for the celebrity name game at the end.

I noticed that too. But isn't that abandoning potential money for your charity?

I think all the celebs probably get at least a little bit of money for their charity, just not the full $25k.

The top charity amount is $10,000, I think.

I have often wondered about the nonpicked celebs' charities.

• Love 1

Not my favourite episode. At least no one was terribly annoying, either in personality or gameplay, but no one was a standout either. I just didn't love any of the games. I definitely hope we never see Song Sung Wrong again, and Casting Couch is still on the fence for me, leaning towards no. I've enjoyed Off The Top Of My Head before, but I think in this case the categories were just too easy (as you can see from the high scores both teams got). In any case, it's probably my least favourite of the 5-point round games.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode overall.  The male civilian was a pill, but I liked all the celebs.  I liked how into it Michael Chiklis and Chery Hines got.  That's how I am when playing games.  Focused and i want to win.  I guess I am one of the few who enjoyed Song Sung Wrong.

The only thing I rolled my eyes at was when during "whats in a name" Josh Groban answered "lice" correctly and Ciara was like "how do you know that?"  He has a functioning brain?  The questions aren't exactly hard.

Not my favourite episode. At least no one was terribly annoying, either in personality or gameplay, but no one was a standout either. I just didn't love any of the games. I definitely hope we never see Song Sung Wrong again, and Casting Couch is still on the fence for me, leaning towards no. I've enjoyed Off The Top Of My Head before, but I think in this case the categories were just too easy (as you can see from the high scores both teams got). In any case, it's probably my least favourite of the 5-point round games.

I feel mostly the same. I thought this episode was boring. None of the celebs were especially egregious, but they were mostly just duds for me.

The only thing I rolled my eyes at was when during "whats in a name" Josh Groban answered "lice" correctly and Ciara was like "how do you know that?"  He has a functioning brain?  The questions aren't exactly hard.

I kind of thought she was making a joke about his hair, but maybe I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt. I've never even heard of Ciara before - obviously I'm not up on my pop stars. {now get offa my lawn.}

(edited)

I had never heard of Ciara before about two months ago, when I started watching "I Can Do That".  Six episodes of that and one of HGN later, I'm still not entirely sure who she is (although I am sure that I don't care).  

Edited by Scott

The only reason I know who Ciara is because I am a Seahawk fan and she is dating Russell Wilson. I had never heard her voice before.

Has Seattle recovered from not giving the ball to Lynch yet? 

(edited)

The male civilian was a pill, but I liked all the celebs. 

My response to him is somewhat different. What I saw was someone who was embarrassed and beating himself up for performing so badly in the first game. I have a kid who does exactly that, and it is painful to see. I guess it could be called being a pill, but having someone I love be so hard on herself, I don't think of it that way when I see others do the same thing. Since Jane and Chicklis, and possibly someone else, spoke kindly to him at different points, it seemed to me they saw that as well.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

I only remembered Ciara from her 2004 stuff, waaaay back when. She had those songs "Goodies" and "1-2 Step." I didn't realize she was trying to make a comeback.

Josh Groban disappointed me, I thought he'd be quicker than that. That said, I would have picked him over Chiklis in the bonus round, because it seemed to me that dude sucked at giving clues.

(edited)

I like Casting Couch because I think it's fun to watch, but the problem with it is it is largely a game of luck.  So you can be the best player ever and know all the answers and it doesn't much matter.  If you are stuck by the wrong answer when the music goes off then you are basically screwed.  The actual clues aren't very hard in that round.  So point being that it's a fun game, but there is a lot of luck that goes into scoring a win.

I did like everyone in this episode though, even if I wanted to slap the male civilian during the first round.  I expect that kind of thing from one of the celebs.  No the actual contestant.

I thought Cheryl was better in the final round.  

Edited by spanana

Jane's banter is still awful but I liked that they just came up with a game so she can sing. It's what I would do if I were hosting a show. 

While it can be frustrating when they're trying too hard to be "polite" I can see how that's more important to them than possibly affecting their careers by saying something offensive/that gets taken the wrong way. Heck, most of them could afford to just donate the money they'd win for their charity instead of facing the possible blowback from a poorly phrased clue. I didn't think Michael was that bad. He just seemed to be blanking a little. 

It was a nice close game and I'm OK with the guy not winning given how weak he was in the other games. 

LOL at Ciara's 'not me' gesture when it was time to pick for the bonus round.