Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: The Fluffer

Tonight, Olivia Pope literally became a whore. A whore in a fabulous coat that I would love to have, but a whore nonetheless. Who are she and Fitz to prevent Mellie from being happy? They're hypocrites.

I wonder if Huck has the skills to get all of the B613 files back online before Mama Pope makes Liv's beloved Fitz go boom.

• Love 4

Moving here from TWoP and happy to find this site. Maybe someone here can help me out.

I am completely lost. When the gladiator (can't remember his name) bought the drink for that woman (no idea who she is) she said that she needed a mentor and that Mama Pope would fit the bill because she was some kind of pioneer in "the business" (no ides what business that is). But didn't everyone think Mama Pope was dead for all these years? Wasn't she actually held prisoner?

Mama Pope mentors people in how to chew their way out of jail. Topics include: Breaking the Skin: Where to Start?; Keeping Your Flesh Tasty For Those Emergency Moments; Fat Wrists?  More Blood for You; Honey, Have I Got a Weightloss Secret For You.

• Love 7

It sounded like "Maria Wallace" was some kind of big name in the terrorism business back in the day... But I would have thought Claire was too young to have known about all that.

Olivia and Fitz lecturing Mellie and the VP candidate about their affair just leaves me rolling around on the floor.  Pot, meet Kettle.  Oh, and Kettle, this is Pot, in case you two haven't met. I agree that there isn't a single rootable character on this show anymore; I'm just sort of watching it for the unfolding of the trainwreck.  Kind of the way you watch the Fast & Furious movies; not for the characters or the plot, just for the car chases.

(edited)

Hi, LittleGreyCells. Mama Pope was imprisoned for 22 years, but she escaped quite a few episodes back by stealing an orderly's uniform (I think) and gnawing her own wrists to get her restraints off. As I recall, her wrists weren't tied behind her back, so she didn't have to pull her own body through her own arms to reach her wrists, but I could be wrong about that. Why she hadn't thought of doing any of that for the previous 22 years, I don't know. Maybe she spent the time sharpening her teeth with a bed spring. Then she got caught again, then she escaped again, now she's killing off actresses brought in because the show needs a Murder of the Week, I guess. Now she shows up at odd times to say awful things to her daughter while Liv and her poisonous father sit there passively and listen instead of grabbing her scarred wrists and yelling, "Terrorist!"

So here's my question. . .the Gladiators excitedly cut off B16 without once thinking there might be terrible consequences they can't anticipate? Because that never happens in their world, right? I'magonna root for the bomb, without worrying about unintended consequences, like them.

Before I stop watching this show, I want Andrew to tell Fitz about what his father did to his wife. Oh, who am I kidding? Then Fitz will just blame Mellie for making him raise his brother as his child.

I am so disgusted by the whole lot of them that I played Words With Friends while Liv and Jake had sex.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 6

My favorite part of the episode was when Mellie slapped Fitz across the face.  I really hope she gets together with Andrew because I can't take three more seasons of the Olivia and Fitz back and forth with Mellie standing by her husband's side.  I used to root for Olivia and Fitz, but it has just become so toxic now that I'm over it. 

While watching last night, I had to wonder how Kerry Washington and Tony Goldwyn feel about being part of this disaster.  This used to be a show that was sexy and intriguing.  Where did it all go wrong?

• Love 4

Love: Abby's "Olivia Pope coat" and Mellie pulling herself together after Fitz rebuffed her ties.  You go, Mellie.

Hate: Everything and EVERYONE else.

• Love 1

If Fitz were too be killed, the government could make a good case that OPA is a terrorist cell. Olivia and Harrison have direct connections to Mama Pope and her gang, and with them shutting down B613, that could prove they are terrorist. Of course we know they aren't terrorist, just idiots. I'm not a big fan of Jake, but when he stormed in that room and grabbed Olivia's throat and had his gun on Hulk, I had to give him his props. I hope that next season they ease up on the B613 stories and get back to some fun scandals to fix. If they continue with this crap any longer, I am going to have to bail. I can only take so much second rate Alias stories.

• Love 2

I just wanted to say that Tara's recap had me rolling!  I've been spitting out peanuts from laughing so hard.

Now regarding the episode itself?  The best thing was The Slap.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was rather baffled that B613's bills all seem to be paid in real time and that whole plot in general. So, Liv & Friends shut down a super secret cabal of terrorist spies and...that was going to be the end of it? They wouldn't all have targets on their backs?

Fitz is just, so, so heinous. Sure, in real life, if a VP candidate/First Lady were having an affair it would be an all-time White House scandal, but in the Scandalverse, the place is loaded with murdering election thieves who are known adulterers. Even if Fitz had said that, hey, he had no right to demand fidelity and after all that he's done, the American public (overall) probably wouldn't blame her too much for finding comfort with someone else, but as a First Lady with an eye on history, maybe sexing the next Vice President is going to be a bad look in the biographies on her. Manipulative, sure, but in a slightly less coldhearted way.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

I actually liked this episode. Loved the slap. I feel that Olivia not choosing Jake is a big mistake. Fitz is an overgrown, self-centered baby who deserves to lose the presidency, his wife and his mistress. So entitled, he is sickening. Only plus was Tony Goldwyn has long said that Fitz is not a good man, so at least he gets it.

Can Quinn just go away and never come back. I am so sick of her.

I think Papa Pope will be the next to go. He is now having a semi-functional relationship with Liv, his death will devastate her.

• Love 2

I'm not a big fan of Jake, but when he stormed in that room and grabbed Olivia's throat and had his gun on Hulk, I had to give him his props. 

Was it wrong that I was screaming "Choke her harder!" at the tv? 

My favorite part of the episode was when Mellie slapped Fitz across the face.  

Mellie is the only thing keeping me attached to this show. 

I feel that Olivia not choosing Jake is a big mistake. Fitz is an overgrown, self-centered baby who deserves to lose the presidency, his wife and his mistress. So entitled, he is sickening. Only plus was Tony Goldwyn has long said that Fitz is not a good man, so at least he gets it.

All of this!

• Love 1

Among my biggest grievances about this show, why is everyone so shouty?  The overdone speeches to tell someone off have gotten ridiculous.  And the ever CONSTANT scenes of Olivia and Fitz talking over each other is played.out.

Kerry Washington, who is usually a very good actress, has fallen into some really comfortable acting choices that drive me insane.  Every single time there's some kind of speech where she's reading someone the riot act, she does it the same way every.damn.time.

What do we think the chances are that Fitz might actually die in a bombing in one of the next few episodes? I feel like that's my dream, but it's never going to happen. Somehow, the showrunners think the Olivia/Fitz thing is still compelling...

Among my biggest grievances about this show, why is everyone so shouty?  The overdone speeches to tell someone off have gotten ridiculous.  And the ever CONSTANT scenes of Olivia and Fitz talking over each other is played.out.

Typical Shonda-speak. Though not as intense, the same thing happens on Grey's and PP.

I keep trying to think of what might save this show for me, and nothing seems possible now. It's too late. Everybody's guilty. Nobody's fighting for anything noble. At least on Grey's, they're trying to save lives, not take them. A military coup? A special prosecutor? Impeachment? A lot of jail sentences? The Rapture? Except none of them would be Taken Up, and I'd still be stuck here with them. The Democrats are gonna have to save us, that's all there is to it. Fresh start, kick them all out. Set it in California and call it Sandals.

I loved Olivia when this show started. But there's nothing about her to admire now. She's no fun anymore. She has even worse taste in men than I do, and that scene where she blackmailed Andrew into staying on the ticket? Oh, my, Olivia, you are a really terrible person.

• Love 4

Second best bitchslap ever - Tyrion slapping Joffrey is still my #1.

I'd be happy if Mama Pope's bomb blows the whole damned sorry bunch to smithereens.  I'd be even happier if it was a dirty bomb that unleashed the Zombie Apocalypse.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mellie is honestly the only one I can still tolerate on this show - and I couldn't stand her in the first season.

For someone who is supposed to be such a brilliant fixer, Olivia is pretty naïve – particularly when it comes to her Father and B613, not to mention her blindness as to her Mother being a terrorist. She gets way too emotionally involved to really be effective at her job. Why are people still willing to hire her? Granted, she has been able to fix certain issues for people who aren’t close to her (though not lately as that hasn’t been part of the show for a while which is unfortunate since that's one aspect that I really liked), but she definitely seems to be more emotional and irrational now. I think this is largely due to learning about the B613 mess and her Father, Jake’s and Fitz’s involvement in it, not to mention the discovery of her Mother’s true occupation. It just doesn’t seem like she’s able to make clear, focused, rational, unemotional decisions anymore and I don’t see how anyone could trust her to resolve anything successfully for them now or how her team of so-called Gladiators can continue to stand by her decisions.

I'm also sick of her and Fitz and their criticism of the relationship between Mellie and the VP was just ridiculous given what they've been doing for years. I agree that The Slap was the best part of this episode, if not this season, though I really wish Mellie would have kicked him in the balls instead.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

I find Kerry Washington's pregnancy so distracting.  Oh, another poncho.  Hey there's a plant.  Big binder!  I know that's irrational, but there is it...

Yep, me too. In fact when she was having sex with Jake I kept thinking "Oh no! Don't crush her belly!" That's how bored I am with this show now.

• Love 2

I find Kerry Washington's pregnancy so distracting.  Oh, another poncho.  Hey there's a plant.  Big binder!  I know that's irrational, but there is it...

In the last episode, I think they had Tony Goldwyn with his knee randomly stuck up in the air to hide her belly. It was so weird.

I will say that I think Kerry Washington is glowing. She's beautiful anyway but I think pregnancy really agrees with her.

• Love 1

The only thing holding me to this show now is Mellie even though I know that no good will ever come to her. 

Since we now know that Fitz "doesn't love or want her" (and I don't believe that at all after Olivia's "don't make me say it"), I'm sure the bomb will paralyze or incapacitate her so that poor, poor Fitz will now be stuck with a sick wife so that he can't have Olivia.

Jake should have shot Huck dead in front of Olivia just because he can. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Quinn continues to bug me to no end. Making her a part of B613 is just ridiculous. No way is she competent or stealth enough to be a spy/contract killer.  When they showed her barging into the hotel room/apartment with her gun drawn trying to do a "sweep" of the room she looked so silly - almost cartoonish. That's pretty much what they've made her into on this show - a cartoon. And the creepy sexual tension that they're trying to force between her and Huck needs to stop now - it's just gross and disturbing. I'm seriously hoping that Mama Pope somehow manages to blow her, Huck and Charlie up just to end this travesty of a storyline - And I used to like Huck before he took Quinn under his wing. At a bare minimum things may be slightly more tolerable if they kill Quinn off.

Edited by Rapunzel

I'd be even happier if it was a dirty bomb that unleashed the Zombie Apocalypse.

I'd pay good money to see Fitz get his face eaten off then for Daryl to shoot him in the head with his cross bow.

For someone who is supposed to be such a brilliant fixer, Olivia is pretty naïve – particularly when it comes to her Father and B613, not to mention her blindness as to her Mother being a terrorist. She gets way too emotionally involved to really be effective at her job. Why are people still willing to hire her?

They aren't. OPA's client list dried up when she was implicated in the affair with Fitz. Fitz is the only one still paying her.

(edited)

The only way that Olivia is fixing shit this season is because Shonda's magic script wand makes it so. There is zippity-do-da in the believability department, even for a fantasy fest like this thing.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

Yep, me too. In fact when she was having sex with Jake I kept thinking "Oh no! Don't crush her belly!" That's how bored I am with this show now.

I was thinking the same thing. Not so much, "Ooh, the drama!" as, "I wonder what the logistics of shooting that scene when she's so far along in her pregnancy are." This show isn't exactly a hate-watch for me; it's more that I'm curious how dumb the characters can get before they all fall off literal cliffs.

• Love 4
"I wonder what the logistics of shooting that scene when she's so far along in her pregnancy are."

On the Afterbuzz podcast for Scandal, one of the commentators said they thought the scene was probably shot with both actors standing up and then the image was tilted to make it look like they were lying down.

Was it wrong that I was screaming "Choke her harder!" at the tv?

Not in my book but I think maybe Olivia gets off on that kind of treatment by her men. NTTAWWT she should own up to it instead using the behavior to get all self-righteous towards Fitz or Jake later.

• Love 2

Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten us into, Olivia.

What a horribly bad excuse for a bunch of politicians. Everyone has their dirty little secrets. I pity the poor voters who have to choose among this group of murderers and hypocrites.

But I did love Abby's coat.

• Love 1

Kerry Washington, who is usually a very good actress, has fallen into some really comfortable acting choices that drive me insane.  Every single time there's some kind of speech where she's reading someone the riot act, she does it the same way every.damn.time.

This, this, and this. The guy who plays Olivia's dad has the same MO as well--whether he's cutting Fitz, or Jake, or Oliva down to size, he plays it the exact same way. Everyone is so keyed up all the time that I'm surprised that none of the actors has had an aneurysm by now.

I'm not really sure why I'm still watching this show, but it goes well with wine and snark. At this point, I'm starting to think that it might be more entertaining to watch Fitz and Olivia try to start a farm in Vermont.

• Love 1
(edited)

There's gotta be a way to make this "hide the pregnancy" into a drinking game... behind the plant = two shots, behind the desk = one shot, thru a window, from behind, wearing a coat...

Edited by VLove
  • Love 2

There's gotta be a way to make this "hide the pregnancy" into a drinking game... behind the plant = two shots, behind the desk = one shot, thru a window, from behind, wearing a coat...

Arty shot from behind another actor = two shots

• Love 1

Behind a designer handbag = one shot, dramatically swirling camera shot ends on extremely close up of Olivia's face= two shots

Behind a designer handbag = one shot, dramatically swirling camera shot ends on extremely close up of Olivia's face= two shots

My first post, on this crazy show!  Unlike KW, I am not pregnant, so I look forward to this drinking game for the finale.

I am one of those who binge-watched Scandal on Netflix.   Gave up on it when the main character pointed out that everyone running for President is a murderer.  But damn it if it didn't suck me back in.  I just caught up on BET today, almost against my will.  Oh who am I kidding, I'm watching just to see how much more ridiculous it can get.

Agree with everyone who is just sticking it out for the finale.  Also agree that they should go back to solving the problem of the week rather than spending all their time on Olitz.  Don't know if I will be watching on Thursday, but I will be watching!

• Love 1