Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Superhero Fashion

I couldn't see the superhero inspiration in Sam's (plus I thought it was hideous) so I was surprised the judges chose to have him go to the finale.  But it figures they would turn around and pass Asha along too.  Loved both Oscar's and Shan's - I would be happy if either of them won.

• Love 2

That was lame.  Once again, the judges fail to make a decision.

As much as I like Sam, his look was awful.  It seems like they pushed him through merely because he got emotional on the runway, and they wanted to turn this episode into an LGBT suicide prevention PSA.  That's admirable and all, but it isn't really fair in terms of the competition.  It's the whole "everybody gets a trophy" philosophy at play here.  Shan was right...Mondo's chances just got doubled.  

Oh, and Zanna, you're fracking useless.

• Love 5

I honestly don't have any idea how or why Sam stayed.   I thought that outfit was hideous.   I don't generally like Asha but I understood her garment.   Sam's?   Not so much.   

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey, if Mondo can "spontaneously" come out on TV to his own family, then Sam should "spontaneously" confess to 2 suicide attempts.  Obviously Mondo is mentoring him effectively.

No doubt Sam was traumatized by the bullying, but I hate those kind of instances being dragged out into a TV show that does NOT star Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz or whomever is relevant at the moment.  Cheapens it all. I don't watch this show to see somebody's therapy session.

Asha was guaranteed, but Shan didn't sound happy that nobody got booted.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
(edited)

What is the point of the judges?? They could save a lot of time if the designers showed their clothes and then the mentors played Rock Paper Scissors to determine who leaves each week. This show is dead to me.

Edited by Missed
  • Love 2

Shan was right...Mondo's chances just got doubled.

Twice zero is still zero.

I thought Shan had the best look this week, with Oscar a close second. They should have sent BOTH of Mondo's mentees home.

• Love 3
(edited)

Twice zero is still zero.

I thought Shan had the best look this week, with Oscar a close second. They should have sent BOTH of Mondo's mentees home.

Shan's look was the clear winner.  It was interesting, wearable, but you could still see it's connections to the theme.  Oscar's cloak was a showstopper, but I didn't like his fabric choice for the suit.  A different fabric and the suit could have been awesome, too.  It's was well made, fit her like a glove, had an interesting shape, but that fabric look like she should be an alien ambassador on Star Trek.

Asha's outfit was sad, particularly the colors on the top.  It was more appropriate for the Hunger Games than a super hero.  She looked dirty.  The top was also wilting during the runway and judging.  That belt kept slipping further and further down off the seam.  Asha should have gone home.

Sam, at first I didn't like the outfit, but then it grew on me.  Those crazy streamers hanging down the back were a big nod to a super hero cape without being too literal.  I after looking at it a couple time, I started to love the wild clash of patterns and designs.  Much like Mondo's own work, the fabric took the design further than the actual shape of the garment.   I'm happy enough that he stayed.

Edited by terrymct

This show sucks more than I ever believed it could suck. I hate it more each week.

Yeah.  This is a trainwreck.  I knew they'd put all four through -- the producers think that creates drama.  If people throwing things at their TV screen is the drama they're going for, then bullseye.  I guess TPTB figure any buzz is better than no buzz.  I don't agree.  Credibility counts for something with me.

What the hell kind of logic is it that Asha stays because her construction has improved?  So it doesn't suck as much as it used to -- this gives her a pass?

Sam played the same card we saw Christopher play last season on Original Flavor, where he designed a dress inspired by the bullying he'd received as a child.  And didn't get eliminated as a result.  Interesting that Under the Gunn is a new show and we're already drowning in cliches.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the judges don't even care enough to pick a winner and a loser, then why should I care?

• Love 1

I'm sick of the so called twist in competition shows of every one of the semifinalists making it to the finals.Play by your own rules, show.

Wasn't thrilled by the outfits either.

• Love 4

A real twist would have been if the judges actually made a decision and if they obeyed their own rules (which are written in sand).  I thought Sam would be eliminated but I forgot about the sad story leading to the pass through to four at the end.  How could I forget It's happened on the regular Project Runway and they haven't missed any cliche on this show.  I am sure Sam went through a difficult time. So did Mondo. So did Tim. So did many of us.  But I'm getting tired of the sad story on the runway.  As moving as the stories are, unless having the most tragic story is part of the criteria, I don't see how it relates. I would be more impressed if someone won and then told us their sad story afterwards. Oh well. I keep reminding myself that the winner has already been chosen and no amount of complaining on my side will change a darn thing, and it's really not important to my life who wins.  Yes, I do try to keep that in mind.

• Love 4

If the judges couldn't decide who goes home then it should have been Mondo's decision.  That's what they did to Anya.  I felt bad for Shan who was the only one to voice his disapointment with the decision.

• Love 6

Rock,Paper, Scissors indeed!  Why bother to have "judges" who rarely judge? And that Zanna is a walking fashion nightmare anyway.  Are we sure she's an editor at a fashion magazine or is she just some random who claims to have read a fashion magazine once? I don't get the format of this show.  What a mess!  I don't think I'll bother to catch this show next week because I have zero interest in who wins.  I will be outraged if Pinocchio wins, even though I kind of like Sam.  Same for Shan, he's cool but Anya can go strangle herself with one of her hula-hoop earrings.  I don't really feel one way or the other about Nick, other than liking him a bit more than I abhor the other two, but I'm not into Oscar's style. Meh.

• Love 1

A real twist would have been if the judges actually made a decision and if they obeyed their own rules (which are written in sand).

Couldn't have said it better.

Further to your post, dialyn, I too am exhausted by the idea that the backstory of someone whose mother has cancer or whose partner has died or who's been bullied is more important than the actual outfit they send down the runway.  I don't discount the difficulties they've experienced, and I appreciate how their struggles have informed their art, but I'm looking at the end product.  That's supposed to be the point.  Otherwise, let's just award the final prize posthumously to Anne Frank.

And BusyOctober, you're so right about that Zanna.  Her clothes aren't memorable.  Her hair is a disaster.  Not just bad, awful.  She looks so small town.

• Love 3

I really liked the fabric on Sam's pants, but he just bought the fabric. If he had built that textile himself, I'd be impressed. As it is, he just got lucky he found something cool at Mood.

• Love 1

Asha's outfit was sad, particularly the colors on the top.  It was more appropriate for the Hunger Games than a super hero.  She looked dirty.  The top was also wilting during the runway and judging.  That belt kept slipping further and further down off the seam.  Asha should have gone home.

The fabric from Asha's top looked like leftovers from Blake's piece last week.  It actually wasn't a bad outfit but I didn't think it was good enough to go forward to the finals.  As for Sam, most of his stuff, to me anyway, just comes off as bland.  I really can't remember anything he created that wowed me or at least left a good impression. 

• Love 1

If Oscar doesn't win this I will be pissed.  I actually like Shan but he has the misfortune of being "mentored" by Anya and I don't want her to win anything else.

Rachel Roy sounds like she's talking around a mouth full of marbles.  And does she know the meaning of mundane??

• Love 2

The mentors are all painful to watch - I'm trying to think if I have favorite designers from PR seasons past that I would have enjoyed seeing in this process. Not many pop up... but I feel, as others have stated, that the judges should actually judge. I don't like that Mondo's narrative story arc became Sam's narrative story arc... it felt really disingenuous. I don't like that the judges let both of his designers pass through. I didn't understand the appeal of most, of any, of the designs this week. Feeling pretty blah going into the runway show. 

Shan's family is adorable, though. I still want him to win, but will be happy as long as he's in the top 2 with Oscar. 

I didn't like his look, but I respect the way Sam voiced his opinion about Oscar. He acknowledged Oscar's talent, but said that he felt like because of Oscar's lack of growth and what he was sending down the runway, he wasn't the best fit for the competition, or something like that. I forget the exact wording, but it was respectfully stating his opinion without 'ZOMG Oscar is terrible and can't design and doesn't deserve to be here at ALL!!11' like we have heard on plenty of confessionals.

I continue to really enjoy Oscar's designs and positive attitude.

• Love 2

My first thought was that Asha stole Chan's look from last week. She has no original ideas. Boo on the judges who can't make a decision.

What is up with Anya wearing something similar to Chan's look the past 2 weeks. I swear last week she told him to copy her dress and this week she was wearing the cammo fabric.

I think Chan is going to win even though Oscar deserves to.

Oh that super special twist -- they're all going to the finale!  How unexpected!  How come it's never, we cut two people instead of one!

I agree with the sentiments about the uselessness of the judging panel, but I thought the guest judge actress was pretty good on the rare occasions when she could get a word in edgewise.  I have no idea who she is because I'm too snooty to watch cartoon movies.

(edited)

I missed this episode last night, so I was spoiled when I sat down to watch it this afternoon, and boy was that not good for my blood pressure. Every time someone dramatically moaned into the camera about the last! chance! to! make! it! to! the! finale! I rolled my eyes so hard, I think one of them came a little loose. What unmitigated bullshit -- was this supposed to be a twist to surprise the audience? Oh, you viewers think you've got us figured out, we producers would never let a mentor be eliminated before the finale,  and look, as you suspected, both the designers belonging to Mondo are there in the bottom! And now, instead of cutting the finalists down to one from each of the mentors, the Big Twist is - we won't eliminate either of Mondo's designers! See what we did there?

What they did there was further undermine the completely crumbled integrity of this "competition." And if the women playing the "judges" in this show don't appreciate how this show is damaging their reputations, they are fools. Jen, Zanna and Rachel have come across as unprofessional, wimpy, clueless and indecisive, none of which are useful attributes for competition judges, or women who aspire to powerful positions in the fashion world.

Listen, Sam, I'm sorry you were bullied as a child, that sucks. Being pushed to the point of suicide is awful. But I don't believe designing a fugly outfit inspired by a cartoon suddenly triggered you, and I think pulling those experiences out to try and manipulate the competition process is a dick move. Even worse because the show made it seem as if it worked. (See paragraph 2 re: wimpy judges)

Yuck to the whole thing. I don't even care about the clothes at this point. I guess I'm glad I was spoiled, because Lord knows what it would have done to my blood pressure to think Asha was finally getting the auf she deserved, only to find everybody gets to stay! Woo hoo!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

I disliked Sams outfit.  I disliked Sams manipulative emotional breakdown on TV.  The only likeable thing about Sams emotional manipulation was that it was going to send Asha home.  I was so mad when they announced that both of them would be in the finale.  When Tim said "Sam, you're going to the finale"  there was a feeling of joy in my heart because words can not even begin to articulate my dislike of Asha.  Normally, I'm pulling for an AA woman to win a show like this, but her clothing is as janky as her attitude, and she can't get off my screen fast enough.  And I'm mad at Tim for taking away my joy!

Shan is 100% correct, and Anya and Nick should be equally peeved.  They just went from an equal 33.3% chance of winning to now Nick and Anya having a 25% chance of winning and Mondo having a 50% chance.  

And let me be clear - I'm all about the non-elimination week, or the sending the extra contestant to the finale thing.  But you should do it when the work sent down the runway is so fabulous, so marvelous, so amazing that it would almost be criminal to not keep the person for another week or for the finale.  But both Sam and Asha sent crappy work down the runway, just choose the slightly crappier look and eliminate that person!

And I like Nick!  I didn't see his season of PR, but I really like him, and I hope Oscar wins because he really has been doing a great job.

• Love 3

I wish they'd make this show about talent.  I, too, am tired of the Designer I-have-a-dead-relative facing off against Designer I-was-bullied, Designer I-have-a-chronic-illness and Designer my-parents-don't-believe-in-me. I have never bought any garment solely on account of the designer's backstory, and I don't care about it. I want to see good-looking clothes.

For a brief happy moment, I thought both Mondo's designers would be aufed. Asha for the sad sack and the tacked zipper (seriously, why do designers hate color?), and Sam- well, poor sweetie, I think I may have been the only one who saw brown paint smeared on the back of the dress and thought, "explosive diarrhea."  But no! They both get to stay! And I thought- well, crap. Now Mondo has two chances to win.

And I kind of like Mondo. During his first season, I liked the way he apologized to Michael Costello, because it takes guts to announce to a gang of bullies that you're sorry you hung with them.  I kind of liked Anya. During her season, I thought that even though her sewing skills were marginal, she used her pageant Miss Congeniality skills to get other people to help her, and it was refreshing to see somebody who actually realizes that there's going to be a life after the competition and maybe you don't want to present yourself as a total jerk. 

During Nick's season, I thought he showed some talent but he was up against people who not only had amazing talent but killer skills.  During UtG, I think he's the one who really really is proud of "his" designers and wants them to do well. That's probably his teaching background. 

Watching Under the Gunn has been a slow-motion train wreck.  During the first seasons of Project Runway, Tim was dignified, he was professional, he actually mentored, and when he said something spontaneous it was funny because he was so dignified. Anybody besides me remember Season Four's black-and-white challenge, where they were limited to just black AND white? Not black OR white? Kayne had a black dress and realized he had to use some white so he took some trim and decorated the scoop neck in the back, and when Tim heard that was the only white on the dress, he blurted, "Oh Jesus!"  It was funny because Tim was so dignified.  When one contestant was found with pattern-making books and was expelled from the competition, Tim took it seriously and presented it professionally. Now Tim is in a role that he's not quite comfortable with and doesn't appear to know how to approach. He's not the interviewee as he is on talk shows. He's not explaining the rules. It's more like he's trying to recap recent events which we've all seen, so his comments don't seem to add much. It's a shame, because he has a wide range of knowledge, and this isn't presenting him at his best.

I don't really care who wins- but I don't think either of Mondo's chances are much. It should probably be Shan, but for Nick's sake, I hope it's Oscar.  What the heck- the judges will probably decide that they ALL win and will divide the money up before holding hands in a circle and singing Kum-By-Yah.

• Love 6

I'd have a much more positive view of Sam's sad chipmunk reveal if it had occurred say in response to the dog pile on Natalia rather than in response to the last challenge before the finale. Reeked of manipulation and it's been done so many times on PR now.

I didn't really like anyone's work this week. I liked Oscar's cloak, but not the shiny backless pantsuit under it. It at least did evoke super hero, which none of the others did.

Everything else was pretty meh. Asha should have gone home, but at least she didn't do another bare midriff.

I actually didn't think Sam's outfit was that bad (minus the brown paint). I liked it a hell of a lot more than Asha's. And, while I'm super over the whole "this challenge brought up feelings of this bad thing that happened to me" bit too, I have a feeling that was orchestrated by the producers, so I'm not holding it against Sam. 

But even if the producers try to manipulate a dress-testant into those dramatic moments, they do NOT have to take them to max like Sam did.  Phrases like "It was difficult at the time, but I'm working through things" and "My family always supports me", and a whole laundry list of other platitudes that can be spun out in a rotating basis.

But again, Sam's youth works against him. He just doesn't get how he's being used. 

The only thing this show is missing is a tagline at the end stating "This show has been brought to you by the number "2",(as in suicide attempts), and the letter "D" (for Depression)". 

• Love 4
(seriously, why do designers hate color?)

I know, right?  Anytime someone is daring enough to actually use a color or, heaven forbid, a pattern people act like they're throwing themselves on a grenade.  I don't get it either.  Yes, I get the "black is slimming" thing, but wearing black, brown or grey (ugh--I hate grey) all the time is just depressing.  Maybe that's why models always seem so pissed?

Eh, I guess I don't hate Asha as much as everyone else.  I do agree she has construction issues, but at least she has good ideas and has done some memorable pieces.  Sam is a waste of air time, IMO.  But, whatever, this show has been pretty ridiculous.

I know, right?  Anytime someone is daring enough to actually use a color or, heaven forbid, a pattern people act like they're throwing themselves on a grenade.  I don't get it either.  Yes, I get the "black is slimming" thing, but wearing black, brown or grey (ugh--I hate grey) all the time is just depressing.  Maybe that's why models always seem so pissed?

Eh, I guess I don't hate Asha as much as everyone else.  I do agree she has construction issues, but at least she has good ideas and has done some memorable pieces.  Sam is a waste of air time, IMO.  But, whatever, this show has been pretty ridiculous.

Man - that has to be a good feeling to not despise Asha.  I dislike every single thing about her with the heat of a thousand suns.  Its come to the point where I have to check the boards to get an unbiased view on her actual work, because I realize that she may be putting the most amazing stuff down the runway, but I hate it because I just don't like her.  That suit she made though - I knew that was an objective mess.  

• Love 1

With that turban, I was expecting Rachel Roy to go all Norma Desmond and tell Tim she was ready for her closeup.

For me, Oscar is the PR:UTG equivalent of Fabio from Top Chef: likeable, talented, great accent, most quotable. I'd be thrilled if he or Shan wins the whole thing.

Next season -- if there is a next season -- they should fly Swatch out to L.A. and have an episode featuring Swatch and West Coast Swatch (the four-legged Oscar) as judges. They could use the worst look as their personal fire hydrant (taking the phrase "eliminated designer" to a new level), and show more decision-making capacity than this season's judges in the process.

• Love 2

Neither Asha nor Sam should be anywhere near the finale, though nobody on this should should be anywhere near the finale besides Shan and Oscar.  I'd prefer Oscar to win just because I'd rather see Nick win, but I feel like we are being set up for a Shan win.

• Love 1

Yes, LeapDayBaby, you are so right: Oscar = Fabio!!  I've spent the whole season trying to figure out who Oscar reminds me of, and I was looking for physical resemblances and not finding any that rang a bell.  Thanks for settling that for me.

I also thought Sam's critique of Oscar's work was thoughtful and respectful.  I like it when the designers are helpful and encouraging.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find that more compelling than bitch drama.

• Love 1

I think Tim Gunn is not comfortable being the star. It went to his head, the "being cool," like the kid on Almost Famous, and he lost all the honesty, decency and thoughtfulness we've loved about him. I'm so disappointed, and his "soul-sucking" non-apology made it worse, but I hope that he'll take some downtime when the show finishes and reflect, and change back. It's like when my best friend who used to have heavy glasses and a too=pushed up nose in eighth grade got contacts and slimmed down and got taller and her nose dropped a little and suddenly she was a blonde bombshell. She was insufferable for a while. Actually it was a few years, but I think since Tim is an adult maybe it won't take that long. My point is that degree of coolness must be hard to resist.

That said, still, so. disappointed. in Tim.

Yes, Sam's story is sad but jeez louise, I actually sneered and said, "oh you're going to CRY NOW," and that means you'll stay, because you were bullied for being gay (not, like Natalia, just bullied for being prey. Hey, that rhymes) and everyone wants to seem PC. Listen, loads of people have been bullied and even contemplated suicide but how does that make your outfit more worthy?

Though his outfit did sort of grow on me. I do think he was sincere because we saw him getting all introspective reading the comic books, but a little self-control and appropriate behavior instinct would have been nice. Did NOT like Tim prompting him. Again-- liked Classic Tim, when he didn't work for the producers.