Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are there any good shows? 

Yes! A.P. Bio, Girls5eva, Rutherford Falls, and We Are Lady Parts are all really great comedies. The Resort and Wolf Like Me are interesting and unique. The Girl in the Woods and One of Us is Lying are bad but fun if you like teen sci-fi or mysteries. If you like gymnastics there’s the docuseries Golden. 

This talk has made me wonder, does anyone know when figure skating coverage will start this year on Peacock?

• Thanks 1
On 9/16/2022 at 10:45 PM, Mittengirl said:

Is there any kind of deadline as to when the Olympic medals from ‘22 must be awarded?  Or can the decision just keep being put off until (they hope) everyone has forgotten about the whole fiasco?

RIGHT? This is such a joke. At least give the silver and bronze medals to the Americans and Japanese, and then continue with the "investigation" of the Russian doping, if that what is actually going on. If IOC or ISU or whoever, find their balls and actually punish the Russians, take BACK the silver and bronze and reissue the gold and silver in their places and award Canada the bronze.  At least give the innocent bystanders some kind of reward for their accomplishments instead of holding everyone's medals hostage because of Noodle Head.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Before subscribing - it looks like replays won't be available on Peacock, only live streaming due to "streaming rights". This is the case according to one person's chat with a Peacock representative. Direct questions to USFS or Peacock (via Twitter) about the season don't seem to receive answers. Maybe they are trying to work things out, but there's been silence other than responses about a particular event not being available for replay. Speculation is that it's about music rights. This thread includes the chat:

Another that only references the current event:

And one more involving Jackie Wong's response to the woman who shared the chat:

Edited by justmehere
Grammar
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yes! A.P. Bio, Girls5eva, Rutherford Falls, and We Are Lady Parts are all really great comedies. The Resort and Wolf Like Me are interesting and unique. The Girl in the Woods and One of Us is Lying are bad but fun if you like teen sci-fi or mysteries. If you like gymnastics there’s the docuseries Golden. 

As a child of the eighties, I loved the Punky Brewster reboot! Bel Air was solid too.

12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh wow, it there aren't replays, I likely won't ever get to watch lol.

That is going to severely limit my ability to watch.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I’m furious at Peacock because not everyone can watch competitions live.  What a terrible, cheap thing for them to do.  I’m glad I didn’t subscribe to peacock.  But MAD that they won’t let us rewatch competitions.

I don't remember watching everything live... I definitely remember just selecting the event and being able to watch it. I did watch within a day or two though. Could that be it? With the Olympics I watch several of the events live including the ladies but most I caught up with later. 

I watched via Hulu to listen to the NBC commentary and that I DVR'd so I could check it out later. For watching all of the skaters in each event though I don't remember having to sit there and watch it live. There was some access to the event after it aired I'm just not sure how long it was available. 

• Love 1

I understand that band being upset, but by the same token, most people had never heard their version of "House of the Rising Sun" until Kneirim/Fraiser used it, so take the win and sell some music off the back of that. In fact, what rights were they enforcing since they didn't write it, in fact, IIRC, the Animals didn't write it, it's a traditional blues song. Someone else got ripped off before they were.

Also, considering my cable bill, NBC Comcast Universal Whatever has more than enough money to pay for the rights.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2022 at 1:05 AM, Avaleigh said:
On 9/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Is it a good idea to sign up for Peacock? They have a special starting tomorrow: $1.99/month or $19.99 for a whole year. I'm asking around the sites if Peacock will show the GPs, Nationals & Worlds, along with regular NBC.

I was so resistant to getting it but I've had it for about two years now and my husband and I really like the sports coverage for the most part.

I've heard that Peacock will only show skating events live and won't have replays available. 

• Sad 3
  • Fire 2
On 9/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mittengirl said:

Is there any kind of deadline as to when the Olympic medals from ‘22 must be awarded?  Or can the decision just keep being put off until (they hope) everyone has forgotten about the whole fiasco?

Something like 8-10 years, or whenever the window for retesting  drug test sample closes. Shot putter Adam Nelson infamously got his reallocated medal nine years after the fact at a Burger King in an Atlanta airport food court. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/behind-the-lines/2016/sep/01/olympic-games-usa-gold-medal-shot-put-burger-king

• Sad 5
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, healthnut said:

Peacock has been awesome, but I’ve heard they’re only doing live this year and no replays. I hope that’s not the case. I’m on a $1.99/month deal right now for six months, which is pretty sweet. 

Is that for every subscription level?

What was the reason given for this? If they only show the events live then a bunch of people won't be able to view for a multitude of reasons. It seems like every year there's something new that drives another nail into coffin of figure skating. 

I'm still hoping that the other American pairs teams will be able to get it together so they can take advantage of the absence of the Russians. Plus won't the Chinese only be able to send one team to Worlds next year? 

• Like 2
On 9/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Oh wow, it there aren't replays, I likely won't ever get to watch lol.

Same. If it’s due to music rights as so many skaters are using secular music now it’s understood but unfortunate. Maybe someone will record and post on YT and I’ll be able to watch some performances before they are blocked by the app. 

I happened to catch a performance by 16 year old American skater Lucas Broussard.  He won gold at the latest junior Grand Prix event.  He didn't try the triple axel or a quad in the long program, but he has a lovely skating style.  I can see comparisons to Jason Brown with a bit of Josh Farris and Johnny Weir thrown in.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

A good weekend for Canadian dancers, with Lajoie & Lagha winning their first senior medal (gold) at the Nepela Memorial and Bashynska & Beaumont winning the first Polish JPG.

The former are doing the Cha Cha Slide in the RD, heh.

Bashynska & Beaumont's new Red Violin free dance is lovely.

• Love 2

Mariah Bell is retiring from competitive skating, and said she'll be appearing in ice shows. I'm so glad she had that fabulous experience at Nationals 2020, when the audience started standing up while she was nearing the end of her LP (I call that the Michelle K. experience). I'll miss her beautiful skating.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Mariah Bell is retiring from competitive skating, and said she'll be appearing in ice shows. I'm so glad she had that fabulous experience at Nationals 2020, when the audience started standing up while she was nearing the end of her LP (I call that the Michelle K. experience). I'll miss her beautiful skating.

I'm so glad she has that national title. I've admired her skating for almost a decade and am happy to see her leaving on a high note. (It’s so hard to do that in this sport.) Glad that she will be doing shows for awhile.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 10/18/2022 at 8:19 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Gracie Gold is skating in Skate America. I hope she skates like she did her short program in Nashville, which was lovely. And then I hope she gets on with the rest of her life.

I feel the same! I feel like nobody in her life has ever told her it’s okay to leave figure skating, and she doesn’t have to make a comeback. I wish she had done what Alysa Liu did. Take your National title and Olympic/World medal and retire at 16 to go live a normal life.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2022 at 7:11 PM, Avaleigh said:

Peacock has been awesome, but I’ve heard they’re only doing live this year and no replays.

I was able to click on the Skate America event icons on Peacock and tap the My Stuff button, which is like a DVR!  So those events SHOULD be in my personal file.... 

Gracie Gold is skating in Skate America. I hope she skates like she did her short program in Nashville, which was lovely. 

She TOTALLY needs to skate to "Waiting on a Miracle" from Encanto for her long program.  (Check it out on youtube)  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I want her to retire when she wants to, and also, I would love for her to go out on a high note (a medal of some color).  Most importantly, I wish her good health and happiness, whatever form that takes.

I want her to skate as long as she would like as well. But at some point USFSA can't keep giving her Grand Prix assignments. I don't know if there are enough other worthy options right now, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered this year, but I don't think they should just continue giving her assignments every year by default.

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It's weird. Whenever Gracie is interviewed, I see an intelligent, driven woman who could probably succeed in anything she puts her mind to. But she still seems to be chasing the one thing that DOESN'T fulfill her: skating.

I know many elite athletes feel very lost after years and years of vigorous training and then it's sort of nothing. I think Tessa Virtue mentioned constantly being sick when she quit training so hard. But Gracie hasn't been competitive in many years.

• Like 2

Well, I missed the men's SP but have seen everything else, so far. I'm thrilled to know that Chock & Bates won't be doing one of their usual unusual programs for their FD tomorrow. It will be all about love (the serpent & the alien were outstandingly skated, but I always suspected *not* what the judges preferred). Wow! Amber Glenn has a fantastic SP. Loved Isabeau's SP. Loved watching our world champions competing--so glad they didn't retire. My unpopular opinion: Hawayak/Baker may be top skaters, but they continue to not look right together. Baker looks so small.  Fans have accused the judges of not liking this team, and this may be why.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow! Amber Glenn has a fantastic SP.

I love this short program. I really like Amber's skating but haven't really responded to her programs in the past. It feels nice that she finally has a short program I can get behind. 

I have to admit that as much as I adore Kaori, I preferred Isabeau's program. I really like Kurakova and hope she comes back strong in the long. I wish Gracie hadn't fallen. She was on her way to building a memorable moment.

So, no more Tanith commentary for dance? I guess she's extra busy these days plus a bit of a conflict of interest. I'll have to get used to Kaitlyn but I like her commentary so far.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I love this short program. I really like Amber's skating but haven't really responded to her programs in the past. It feels nice that she finally has a short program I can get behind. 

I have to admit that as much as I adore Kaori, I preferred Isabeau's program. I really like Kurakova and hope she comes back strong in the long. I wish Gracie hadn't fallen. She was on her way to building a memorable moment.

So, no more Tanith commentary for dance? I guess she's extra busy these days plus a bit of a conflict of interest. I'll have to get used to Kaitlyn but I like her commentary so far.

Agreed re: Amber. Her programs never demanded my attention before. So I was astonished to be closely following her SP. Did she change choreographers? Something's different in a very good way. 

I bet Tanith has been replaced as a commentator due to her coaching. I like Kaitlyn & wondered if she'd been advised to not talk too much. But throughout this competition, I've had a hard time hearing the softer voices during each program. I can hear Terry & Tara, but not Kaitlyn & Johnny, while the music is blaring away. In the past, I've always been able to hear comments during programs. Something's different about the audio--I first noticed it last season.

Wow...Deanna Stellato at 39. She's amazing. Her partner starting that lift while skating in a kneeling position? Such power! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2