Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No, lots of little middle-aged ladies are on his bandwagon. It's not just tween girls.

Middle-aged women behaving like silly teenyboppers...they must be the female version of the men who behave like 10 year old boys. Arrested development?  

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Middle-aged women behaving like silly teenyboppers...they must be the female version of the men who behave like 10 year old boys. Arrested development?  

Its a lot like the Sergei widows. It's easy to idealize someone you don't know and probably will never meet.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

You know, I'm sure he's a very nice guy. Seems to be. But the obsession with him drives me batty. I follow the topic of "figure skating" on Twitter and instead of seeing tweets involving all of skating, it's just tweets of fucking obsessed Fanyu's. It makes me wish he'd just retire. 

Same here. I had to mute his name to make this stop. I’ve never been a fan, but his fans make me actively root against him even harder.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

And now that Fanyus are upset because only Yuzuru Hanyu should be able to land the 4A.

This makes me hope Ilia nails this jump and sends them all into a complete, spiraling MELTDOWN. God, they suck. The audacity of being "upset" because another skater attempts a jump that's never been done before--as though skaters "own" jumps, as though every other skater isn't out there chasing glory, trying to better the sport and themselves through ever more difficult tricks. I have no doubt Hanyu is thoroughly embarrassed by these psychos. I actually feel bad for him.

• Love 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

God, they suck.

They've been harassing skaters in multiple languages on all social media since the Olympics (Javier Fernandez, Andrei Mozalev, Boyang Jin, Sui Wenjing just the ones I know of who aren't in the anglosphere). They're really disgusting. "The biggest fandom" I guess to be international assholes. And then you say something about it, it's because "you're obsessed with them". The emotional maturity of a high school bully.

And yes, rooting for Ilia to take the 4A out. And for Hanyu to retire because I can take neither him nor his fans anymore. Go away.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 4
On 4/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, KittenPokerCheater said:

It's very cool that they are having Skate America in the NorthEast where it is not Boston.

Skate America is at the new home of the Skating Club of Boston in Norwood, MA, which is part of the Greater Boston Area.

• Useful 1
On 5/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, Jeddah said:

I love Hanyu, but can he land one? I don’t think I’ve seen him come close to the one Ilia did.

I don't think I've ever seen Hanyu fully rotate it like Ilia did. The best 4A I've seen him land was two footed and way under, and his Olympic one was close, but still under. Hanyu is nearing the end of his competitive career, and Ilia hasn't peaked yet. Ilia is far more likely to successfully land one in competition than Hanyu is at this point.

• Love 9

I saw Stars on Ice Canada last week, at its start in Halifax. I traveled there because Satoko is on the tour, and who knows how many opportunities there'll be to see her live.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2022 at 10:07 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Just read that Boyang Jin plans to train in the West this next quad. He seems like a good candidate for the Orser team. 

This supposedly almost happened after the 2018 games but never materialized for various reasons, at least that’s what was speculated at the time. If this latest news is true, I wonder what has changed? Though his 4Lutz is the best in the world and his presentation has gotten slightly better, overall he seems to have regressed in consistency over the years. I’m not sure if training in the west will significantly improve his talent to the point of getting on the podium again. But I guess we’ll see.  

On 5/2/2022 at 12:17 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

You know, I'm sure he's a very nice guy. Seems to be. But the obsession with him drives me batty. I follow the topic of "figure skating" on Twitter and instead of seeing tweets involving all of skating, it's just tweets of fucking obsessed Fanyu's. It makes me wish he'd just retire. 

I like Hanyu but his fans remind me of the crazed Kwan fans back in the day and how they could not stand anyone who could potentially threatened her in competition. And of course when Tara beat her at the Olympics, her fans were livid. They thought all she had to do was skate clean and the gold was hers. When that didn’t happen the anger was palpable and as a result some pretty nasty things were said about Tara. I shudder to think of the ugliness that would’ve ensued if SM was around when Kwan was competing. I imagine her fans would’ve been just as bad or worse thar Hanyu’s. 

Regarding the 4A, if Ilia does land it first and in competition I wonder how Hanyu will respond? My understanding is he not only wants to land the 4A but wants to be the first. If someone beats him to the punch I think that may take the wind out of his sails. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Enero said:

. I shudder to think of the ugliness that would’ve ensued if SM was around when Kwan was competing. I imagine her fans would’ve been just as bad or worse thar Hanyu’s. 

I am blanking on who SM is?

The extreme Fanyus are something and I say that as someone in two of the most allegedly toxic fandoms - Stars Trek & Wars.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think it's referring to 'social media.'

Ah ha, you're right. Thank you!

But that's how many initials we use that I was thinking "what skater is that??"

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I read that Cain/Leduc dropped out of SOI. Think they originally signed up for San Jose, maybe another city. 

I attended to SOI show on Long Island last Sunday--Cain and Leduc were not in it. (So fantastic to see Sinnerman live!)

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

According to twitter rumors, Cain and DeLuc have ended their partnership.

Any chance Deanna Stellato could compete for the US again?  I could see her and Timothy as a good team

58 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

According to twitter rumors, Cain and DeLuc have ended their partnership.

Any Twitter rumors about how she’s doing?  There’s part of me that hopes she may retire for her own health.

• Love 6
On 5/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ruby Gillis said:

Any chance Deanna Stellato could compete for the US again?  I could see her and Timothy as a good team

Since she’s competed internationally for Canada she would have to miss a season if she switched back.

• Love 1

Hanyu is a beautiful skater who seems like a nice guy. He deserves better than his stans. 

I’m a little behind. Has the whole Russian doping thing been dropped?

10 hours ago, Chaser said:

I’m a little behind. Has the whole Russian doping thing been dropped?

The war has certainly stalled the urgency to settle the matter, since they banned the entire federation over it. Last I saw was a late-March headline, that there was still no timeline for resolving the team medal. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Chaser said:

Has the whole Russian doping thing been dropped?

I'm worried that the more time goes by the more likely the Russians will be able to get away with cheating. I'm curious what else needs to be investigated for them to be stripped of their team medal.

I'll admit that I'm curious about the rumor that Diana Davis is going to try to start skating for the US. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm worried that the more time goes by the more likely the Russians will be able to get away with cheating. I'm curious what else needs to be investigated for them to be stripped of their team medal.

The process is complicated since I believe technically RUSADA can investigate it first and then WADA, the IOC and the ISU can appeal if they disagree with RUSADA's conclusions.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, Avaleigh said:

I'll admit that I'm curious about the rumor that Diana Davis is going to try to start skating for the US. 

seems like the new judging rules are going to punish excessive pre-rotation, full blade assist, and change of edge between combo jumps.  Suggests the judges want to end the Russian dominance

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, absnow54 said:

The war has certainly stalled the urgency to settle the matter, since they banned the entire federation over it. Last I saw was a late-March headline, that there was still no timeline for resolving the team medal. 

Jesus Christ. As much as I'd like for Team USA to be awarded the gold, it sucks that they have NOTHING. The U.S. Olympic and Paraolympic team went to the White House last week and all the medalists were wearing their medals. The figure skating Team medalists had nothing. Just give them the fucking silver and Japan the bronze and if the order changes, they can swap them out (and give Canada a medal). This is grossly unfair that their medals are being held hostage because of the Russians and their cheating ways.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 15

I have a question about Stars on Ice. I've never gone to SOI so all I've seen are the videos that people post. Everything looks so dark. Is that due to them using their phones to tape videos? Or, is it really lighter in the arenas? 

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have a question about Stars on Ice. I've never gone to SOI so all I've seen are the videos that people post. Everything looks so dark. Is that due to them using their phones to tape videos? Or, is it really lighter in the arenas? 

It's definitely lighter, although not as light as a competition (which doesn't allow gobos and spotlights and fancy lighting arrangements). I think it's a function of how cameras don't see as well as the naked eye.

• Useful 2

Nathan is so well rounded. He's ready to move on, live the college life he missed out on during his freshman & sophomore years, learn to play the guitar (I believe he's already an accomplished pianist), and really apply himself to his studies (not just enough to pass exams). Yale is going to be so fortunate to benefit from his presence again on campus.

• Love 14

I've just learned that Spain has qualified for Worlds 2023, but has no top teams, now as they've retired. It always bothered me that Hurtado/Diaz broke up. They were so noticeable amongst all the top competitive teams.

• Useful 1

2022 just keeps getting bigger for Michelle Kwan. She's going to be inducted into the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Hall of Fame. It looks like they don't induct athletes every year so she's getting inducted with Olympians, Kwan among them, who most people would have assumed were already in.  The previous class was inducted in 2019 and the class before that was 2012. I can't find any info on how the HOF decides when to induct another class it - at the moment it looks like they just do it when they feel like it.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Well, that’s interesting. Even with Hubbell and Donohue retiring the US is stacked with good ice dance teams. I can’t imagine the USFS being that supportive of her. I know she’s an American citizen too, but this just seems like a ploy to compete while Russia is banned. Is her partner allowed to skate for the US while Russia is banned even though he’s not a US citizen? So many questions.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I don't know how I feel about this.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it seems like her team is being meanly opportunistic, and would never skate for the usa if they had any other options.

And I hope to god they don't get any kind of eteri-bonus if/when they compete, because I am done with Eteri.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Diana Davis was born in the US, and I believe that her father is American. From what I saw somewhere else, she would have to sit out international competition for one year after the Olympics free dance (the last time she and Gleb Smolkin represented Russia).

Yeah, it's going to be an uphill battle for her considering Chock/Bates, Hawayak/Baker, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Wolfkostin/Chen, Brown/Brown, and even Bratti/Somerville. Useless she's switching to singles, which is a whole other beast.

There's also the question of Gleb. If they were planning on representing the United States at the 2026 Olympics, he would have to get American citizenship. I wonder if the fact that he's train in the United States for the past couple of years count towards his residency.

----

On a different note, the ISU approved gradually the senior age limit from 15 to 17.

• Useful 1
On 5/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Nathan Chen gets to be a normal college student. Interesting that he hasn't talked to Rafe since the Olympics. I thought it was a jerk move when Rafe didn't go to Worlds with Mariah, but apparently he did go into isolation from everyone. I wonder why?

I think that Nathan just needs some space to decompress from the super-intense Olympics training. I think he wants some distance from Raf. Totally natural. After all, a coach isn't really a friend.

16 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Diana Davis was born in the US, and I believe that her father is American. From what I saw somewhere else, she would have to sit out international competition for one year after the Olympics free dance (the last time she and Gleb Smolkin represented Russia).

Yeah, it's going to be an uphill battle for her considering Chock/Bates, Hawayak/Baker, Green/Parsons, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Wolfkostin/Chen, Brown/Brown, and even Bratti/Somerville. Useless she's switching to singles, which is a whole other beast.

There's also the question of Gleb. If they were planning on representing the United States at the 2026 Olympics, he would have to get American citizenship. I wonder if the fact that he's train in the United States for the past couple of years count towards his residency.

----

• Useful 2

Just when I thought I'd never again have to see *that face*, surrounded by ramen hair, & those angry glaring eyes...along comes her look-alike daughter. I don't understand why she's being allowed to compete as an American. Yes, her father is an American but she was trained in & competed for Russia, a country that was shut out of Worlds three months ago. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Several days ago the ISU passed the new age rule. Raising it to 16 for next season. Then 17 in 2023-2024 season.  This will impact Eteri’s skaters the most I think (whenever the Russian ban is lifted) as all of the successful skaters who’ve come out of her camp in the last several years have started their senior career before they were 17.

image.jpeg

• Useful 2
  • Love 1