Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

The pairs competition of the European Championships was pretty good. Tarasova/Morosov were descent enough for the gold I guess, but they bore me to tears. Gutsy performance by Savchenko/Massot. I loved her dress. The highlight of the night for me though was James/Cipres. They may not have the polish of some of the other top pair teams but they have a lot of presence. I enjoyed both their short and long programs. The choreography and music was very interesting, different, way more engaging than the cookie cutter stuff being done by the other teams. 

Its really a shame that they'll probably not get much more mileage out of their amateur career considering their ages. They really do have a lot of potential. Congrats to them and John Zimmerman- I had no idea he was coaching, on winning the bronze. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Enero said:

The highlight of the night for me though was James/Cipres.

Me, too. My dvr cut out just before they got their scores, so I had to scramble for the internet machine to find out if Zimmerman has to make good on his bet to shave his head. HaHAH! He does! Good for them; really good perfs.

• Love 1

Medvedeva kicks ass. If the other women can't compete, they need to get their acts together.

The same could be said for Nathan Chen and his five quads. But . . . I think an equally fair argument could be made that rules should be put into place to limit certain moves, because otherwise it's less about skating and more about tricks. In other words, it becomes a competition to see how many jumps you can do with your arm over your head or, for the men, how many quads you can do in one program. There needs to be more to skating than one trick.

There are already rules in place that say you can only do certain types of moves once and get credit for them. I think maybe limiting the number of quads might make men's skating less of a jumping contest, and if they only gave you extra credit for jumping with your arm over your head for one jump it wouldn't be done so often.

• Love 8

There have been times in the past where its been a struggle between artistry and athleticism.  For women, I remember Rosalynn Sumners (art) vs. Elaine Zayak (ath) and later Michelle Kwan (art) vs. Tara Lipinski (ath).  Or, if you must, Tonya (ath) vs. Nancy (art).

• Love 1

You can also write a code of points to be, for lack of a better word, 'hackable' by bumping up the points for some elements that are difficult in different ways than the usual jumps and flips. I'm thinking Sanne Wevers' spin-o-rama balance beam gold performance at the Rio Olympics. 

Edited by selkie
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I am watching the European Pairs Short(?) Program on UniversalHD - who is the male announcer?

I believe that was Ryan Bradley.  He was the US Champ some years back.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:25 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

They tried that with the specialized spiral (not sure of its technical name) until people begged for it to stop because EVERYONE did it.

The Biellmann spin? When you spin and grab your foot behind you?

On 2/3/2017 at 6:18 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Very few can do a beautiful spiral...especially a change edge spiral (with no shakiness in the foot).  I'm so weary of the grabbing of the foot and the Biellman spin.

I'm still of the opinion this should be renamed the Kwan spiral. I know it won't happen but if Denise Biellman can get a move named after her that she didn't invent I don't see why the change edge spiral can't be forever associated with Michelle. My two cents. 

• Love 9
On 2/5/2017 at 6:02 PM, COESpiral said:

I'm still of the opinion this should be renamed the Kwan spiral. I know it won't happen but if Denise Biellman can get a move named after her that she didn't invent I don't see why the change edge spiral can't be forever associated with Michelle. My two cents. 

Amen and hallelujah!  In the beginning, when we first saw Michelle doing the change edge spiral, the camera would follow her and change angles so that we could really see what she was accomplishing.  Later on (I think when coverage switched to NBC) they didn't even bother showing the edge change or even her skate, for Pete's sake.  ABC really covered ice skating so well back in the day.  I remember when Sasha Cohen tried the change edge spiral, her skate would start shaking (maybe that's why they stopped focusing on the skate!)

U.S. Men’s skater Joshua Farris has announced that he plans to return to competition next season. Farris retired from competition at the beginning of this season due to complications from successive concussions. However, over the past 8 months, he has fully recovered and has been given approval from his medical team to return to competitive skating. Farris said that he found that he missed the sport as this season progressed, and that he wants to return because of his love of the sport. He has returned to training with coaches Christy Krall and Damon Allen, and is landing triple axels during training. He is planning to work on landing quads next.

“What I went through was a fluke situation," said Farris, 22. "As long as I work with the doctors that have helped my healing process, they have assured me that it's going to be OK, as long as I don't go pro in hockey." Farris added that while his comeback attempt coincides with the Olympic year, his focus is not on PyeongChang. "Would it be nice to make it to the Olympics? Yes. Could it be within my reach? Yes. Is it my main priority? No," he said. "I want to come back for me.”

For his initial comeback, Farris is eyeing a series of events in the early-to-mid summer. Having lost all of his qualifying points because of his two-year absence, he would have to petition for a Grand Prix assignment from U.S. Figure Skating. The USFSA said in a statement that Farris could be considered a "Return Skater" under its rules, having finished inside the top 12 at Worlds in 2015. That makes him eligible for a Senior B assignment or -- after competing in a non-qualifying event this summer -- a Grand Prix, most likely Skate America.

• Love 3

That's exciting news about Josh Farris returning! He's one of my very favorites and I was so disappointed when he decided to bow out (though of course health comes first). That's wonderful he's recovered, and I'm looking forward to seeing him back next year.

• Love 2

Four Continents starts on Wednesday, Feb. 15, in Korea. This is going to be the “test event” for the arena in which the skating events will be held at the 2018 Olympics. Icenetwork will live stream all of the skating at Four Continents, although because of the time difference and that International Date Line thing, you will need to sacrifice some sleep to watch the events live. Korea is 14 hours ahead of New York, which means that 10:00 am on Saturday in Korea equals 8:00 pm Sunday in New York. This is why NBC has asked the IOC to schedule figure skating events to begin at 10:00 am at the Olympics; NBC wants to air the skating events at the Olympics in live coverage.

NBCSN and NBC will be airing extensive coverage of Four Continents via The Olympics Channel. You won’t get to see everyone skate, but you’ll be able to watch a good number of skaters in each event. For our Canadian friends, I couldn’t find any TV coverage of Four Continents, although CBCSports.com will be offering live streaming on the same timing as icenetwork.

Here’s the broadcast schedule for Four Continents. As always, all times listed are EASTERN. Check your local schedule for the times and channels in your area.

NBCSN

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 12:00 noon: Short Dance

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 2:00 pm: Pairs Short Program

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 4:00 pm: Ladies Short Program

Friday, Feb. 17 - 12:00 noon: Free Dance

Friday, Feb. 17 - 1:30 pm: Men’s Short Program

Saturday, Feb. 18 - 8:00 am: Pairs Free Skate

Saturday, Feb. 18 - 11:00 pm: Men’s Free Skate

NBC

Saturday, Feb. 18 - 2:30 pm: Ladies Free Skate

ICENETWORK/CBCSPORTS.COM LIVE STREAMING:

Wednesday, Feb.15 - 9:00 pm: Short Dance

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 12:15 am: Pairs Short Program

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 3:30 am: Opening Ceremonies

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 4:30 am: Ladies Short Program

Thursday, Feb. 16 - 11:30 pm - Free Dance

Friday, Feb. 17 - 3:45 am - Men’s Short Program

Saturday, February 18 - 12:00 midnight: Pairs Free Skate

Saturday, February 18 - 4:00 am: Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, February 18 - 9:00 pm: Men’s Free Skate

To see the complete list of competitors, go to: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00051793.htm Denis Ten of Kazakhstan has withdrawn from the competition.

• Love 3

I wish they'd bring back Champions on Ice.  That's the show I attended a few times while I lived in Raleigh.  The "amateurs" skated their competitive programs and for those of us who never attended Nationals, that was a thrill.  Klimova & Ponomarenko skated programs as if they were still competing (the programs were that dramatic, demanding and stunning to watch).  My favorite memory was getting there early each time so I could watch the skaters warming up.  Just watching them warm up was a big deal.  Such powerful skaters!

• Love 2
On 2/13/2017 at 7:23 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Four Continents starts on Wednesday, Feb. 15, in Korea. This is going to be the “test event” for the arena in which the skating events will be held at the 2018 Olympics. Icenetwork will live stream all of the skating at Four Continents, although because of the time difference and that International Date Line thing, you will need to sacrifice some sleep to watch the events live. Korea is 14 hours ahead of New York, which means that 10:00 am on Saturday in Korea equals 8:00 pm Sunday in New York. This is why NBC has asked the IOC to schedule figure skating events to begin at 10:00 am at the Olympics; NBC wants to air the skating events at the Olympics in live coverage.

Haven't you got that backwards?  Since Korea is 14 hours ahead of New York, 10:00 a.m. on Saturday in Korea would be 8:00 p.m. Friday in New York, not 8:00 p.m. Sunday.  Eight o'clock p.m. Sunday in New York would be 10:00 a.m. Monday in Korea.

10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Haven't you got that backwards?  Since Korea is 14 hours ahead of New York, 10:00 a.m. on Saturday in Korea would be 8:00 p.m. Friday in New York, not 8:00 p.m. Sunday.  Eight o'clock p.m. Sunday in New York would be 10:00 a.m. Monday in Korea.

You're right, legaleagles53. The International Date Line makes my head hurt. Thanks for clearing things up.

• Love 2

Howard Stern recently ranted about the Super Bowl TV half-time and post-game coverage for its frequent cuts and missing the 
"big shots" (Belichuk/Brady hug, Lady Gaga etc.)  "Who is directing this nonsense? This isn't an old MTV music video? We want to SEE what's going on!!!"  

Well, I have the same complaint about skating.  Already, NBC Sports Network is indulging in that nonsense with the American women skaters at Four Continents.  When Karen Chen was spinning, they went to a close-up of her BLURRY FACE AND FEET!!!  The same for Mirai ... 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Well, I have the same complaint about skating.  Already, NBC Sports Network is indulging in that nonsense with the American women skaters at Four Continents.  When Karen Chen was spinning, they went to a close-up of her BLURRY FACE AND FEET!!!  The same for Mirai ... 

Dang...this afternoon I was "suggesting" to the camera folks to please...show us the entire person skating, spinning, whatever.  Who needs a close-up of a skater's face?  Some times there were close-ups of the skater's feet.  It was very weird, as if NBC hired some contract camera people who had never done this before.  I found myself once again missing ABC.  Back in the day, when ABC covered figure skating, the camera work was wonderful.  Who was commentating this afternoon on NBCSN?  Was that Ryan Bradley?

• Love 1

^^ It was John Coughlin, who was apparently a pairs skater a few years back. I missed when they first announced his name and spent the rest of the broadcast trying to figure out who the heck it was, lol. Agree that the camera work was just horrendous. For crying out, don't zoom in on the skater's waist during the spins.

• Love 1

It's not NBC doing the camerawork - it's an international feed done by the ISU. NBC probably isn't paying to send anyone over there - when you see Tracy interview someone, it's because she's there as a coach and they go her to interview. The commentary is coming from a studio in Connecticut - in their first year, you didn't even see Johnny and Tara and Terry until Terry made some comment about "you should see what they're wearing" and suddenly, NBC said "oh, should put them onscreen! That's right, people care what they wear!"

Terry's at golf this week, so Tanith is the play by play. 

• Love 1

I hope Mirai keeps this up; it would be a delight if she made another Olympic team.

Watching 4CC was my first time seeing Virtue and Moir's short dance, and I really like it. As much as them steamrolling their comptetitors is boring, watching this particular program is pretty fun. I like them much more when they're not doing romantic-themed programs. Same thing with Chock and Bates and their free dance this season--much more fun to watch them do something not romantic.

I know the U.S. is still not a real player in pairs, but it's nice to see the current teams doing a better job of standing up on most of their jumps. I'm very interested to see how Cain and Leduc do next season. Going into Worlds, this is the first time in I don't know how long that I've been genuinely interested in watching the pairs competition--especially with Sui and Han being there.

• Love 1
On February 16, 2017 at 7:16 PM, MostlyC said:

....did the americans implode at 4CCs?  Their placements are pretty low (ice dancing excepted).

Karen Chen appeared to implode. But Mirai did great and Nathan Chen is on top so far. Grant and Jason are often inconsistent. 

Sigh...Virtue/Moir. I actually love our two leading teams, but I kind of wish Davis/White were still around to challenge them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

How did Hanyu beat Nathan in the long? Did he take a fall? Happy Nathan won!

Neither fell.  Hanyu outscored Chen in the presentation score 94.34 to 88.86.  Chen outscored Hanyu in the technical 115.48 to 112.33.  Totals Hanyu 206.67, Chen 204.34.

I watched the 4CC ladies free skate with Tara and Johnny’s commentary, they are getting more and more annoying to me.  Yes, Mai Mihara could use more mature programs and costuming, but Tara said something like “She’s going to wake up one day and be 25, and others will have passed her by!” Good lord, the girl is 15 years old and just won an ISU championship her first year senior. I seem to remember Tara skating to tacky Disney and Little Women soundtracks, and it didn’t stop her from winning the Olympics.  They were also really harsh on Mirai, who I agree needs stronger choreography and expression.  But this is the second 4CC LP in a row that she has rotated 7 triples, which is pretty impressive (if only she had done this at nationals). She now has both the highest short program and highest long program international scores of the US ladies so far this season.  

Mariah and Karen’s performances were disappointing, but not surprising to me. Karen is now saying that she is having “boot problems” again…USFS better be monitoring her. I’ll never understand the scores that Kaetlyn Osmond gets. She has lovely qualities and her triple combination has been money this year, but she gets sooo much hype for someone who is never able to put together a clean LP. 

• Love 4

It really annoys me when I hear Tara making snarky remarks about any of the ladies looking juniorish.  She always looked juniorish to me.  When she'd land her jumps, I could almost hear a ka-lunk as her skates hit the ice (she never landed gently--maybe from all the years jumping in roller skates?).  Tara's skating style didn't improve until after she'd skated with Stars on Ice for a year.  I wish NBC would replace Tara and Johnny with Ryan Bradley or John Coughlin and any of the other retired ladies skaters!

• Love 10

Of the newly added commentators on the NBC family of channels, John Coughlin and Charlie White are the two I actually enjoy most of the time. They had the most experience competing under the current judging system and can offer good insights into why skaters are doing or attempting to do elements in certain ways and know when to STFU during the programs. Ryan Bradley and Tanith White are also decent, but still have too many verbal tics and talk too much over the programs, in my opinion.

• Love 2

Tanith is the play by play. 

Oh, dear God.  Is she getting paid by the word???  Just as the gymnastics world says, "SHUT UP, TANITH!"  We do NOT want to hear you discussing philosophies of skating and asking Johnny Weir SILLY questions WHILE THE SKATERS ARE COMPETING.  

And, she talkstoofast.  Breathe, Tanith, breathe.

• Love 2