Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I watched a "skating spectacular" on Sunday - you know, pro skaters skating to Christmas songs. I was a little stunned to see Brian Boitano's new look - totally shaved head, wow!  But I specifically wanted to comment about Caryn Kadavy. I remember seeing her in an ice show probably 20 years ago and looked online: she's turning 49 on Friday, and is as elegant as ever!  She didn't do many jumps, just skated around mostly and did some spins, but it was such a pleasure to watch her.

Don't get me wrong, I do love watching the young athletes jumping to the skies, but there's something to be said about the quality of skating of skaters who had to spend time on the figures.

• Love 1

With few exceptions, isn't this true in all sports?  Swimmers have better, slicker suits to swim in, runners have different outfits and runners ... the changes in sport over the years never ends.  Should there be a qualifier on each world record?  This sounds like sour grapes to me.  Unlike pairs' routines, dance is very subjective as well.  You can never compare apples to apples in dance, unlike pairs where elements are a huge part of the equation and the artistic side comes into play, but not like it does in dance. 

Edited by Shades of Red

The Grand Prix Final begins in Marseille, France on Thursday. This is a chance for top skaters to go “head to head” and take some measure of each other before Worlds, as well as to win some prestige and a little money.  Icenetwork will stream all the competition live on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The Juniors will be skating in the afternoon and the Seniors in the evening in France, which translates to morning and afternoon on the East Coast due to the time change. TV coverage will be only of the Senior programs. Universal HD will show the Men, Ladies, Pairs and Dance Short Program, as well as the Pairs Free Skate. NBCSN will show the Men, Ladies and Dance Free Skate. The CBC in Canada is showing only the Free Skate Programs, and those broadcasts are a week apart. NBC will show a recap of the Grand Prix Final about a week after the event concludes, on December 18.

Here is the broadcast schedule for the Grand Prix Final. All times listed are EASTERN. Check your local listings for the times and channels in your area.

Icenetwork Live Streaming:

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 8:05 am: Junior Short Dance

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 9:20 am: Junior Men’s Short Program

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 10:25 am: Junior Pairs Short Program

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 11:40 am: Junior Ladies Short Program

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 1:45 pm: Senior Pairs Short Program

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 3:10 pm: Senior Men’s Short Program

Friday, Dec. 9 - 9:45 am: Junior Free Dance

Friday, Dec. 9 - 11:05 am: Junior Ladies Free Skate

Friday, Dec. 9 -  1:05 pm: Senior Short Dance

Friday, Dec. 9 - 2:20 pm: Senior Pairs Free Skate

Friday, Dec. 9 - 3:45 pm: Senior Ladies Short Program

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 8:00 am: Junior Men’s Free Skate

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 9:20 am: Junior Pairs Free Skate

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 10:45 am: Senior Free Dance

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 1:00 pm: Senior Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 2:20 pm: Men’s Free Skate

UniversalHD

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 8:00 pm: Senior Men’s Short Program

Thursday, Dec. 8 - 10:30 pm: Senior Ladies Short Program

Friday, Dec. 9 - 8:00 pm: Seniors Pairs Short Program, Senior Short Dance

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 8:30 pm: Senior Pairs Free Skate

NBCSN

Sunday, Dec. 11 - 8:30 pm: Senior Men and Ladies Free Skate, Senior Free Dance

CBC (Canada)

Saturday, Dec. 10 - 3:00 pm: Senior Men’s Free Skate, Senior Free Dance

Saturday, Dec. 17 - 1:30 pm: Senior Pairs and Senior Ladies Free Skates

NBC

Sunday, Dec. 18 - 4:00 pm: Highlights of the Senior Grand Prix Final

• Love 5

Don't get me wrong, I do love watching the young athletes jumping to the skies, but there's something to be said about the quality of skating of skaters who had to spend time on the figures.

I've never seen the figures (competition?), but I wish they would bring them back.

Loving the jumps but damn, I'm missing the artistry- and I never thought I'd say that.

2 hours ago, MostlyC said:

I've never seen the figures (competition?), but I wish they would bring them back.

If you've ever seen them, you would never wish that again.  They are literally as boring as watching paint dry.  A skater makes a figure, the referees get out their measuring tapes and calipers, and check to see how close to the ideal each figure is.  It can take ten or fifteen minutes per figure for each competitor.  Gaaaaah.

Here's a video of figures.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2016 at 11:01 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

I actually laughed when I heard about their FD music choice, because really? For all their talk about wanting to try new things, they're right back to doing some sappy FD. I wonder how many times Scott will caress her face or gently kiss her hand?

Is it me, or are all the dance pairs coming out of Marie France's rink doing that? It's all face clutching, mooney looks into each other eyes (right up V and M's alley), flowing hair and costumes, and ripped bodices. Well, not the last one, really, but her pairs all remind me of Romance Novels on ice. 

I hope the Shibs can pull another Coldplay out of their bag of tricks. We'll need a break from all the saccharine, whispered affairs and fake children. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They are literally as boring as watching paint dry.  A skater makes a figure, the referees get out their measuring tapes and calipers, and check to see how close to the ideal each figure is

While I never ever want to see them on the TV machine again, there's a real difference in skating quality between skaters who learned figures and those who don't. There's a real lack of fundamentals in skating right now with the emphasis on jumps, quads in particular, so I wish they'd get taught again.

43 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I hope the Shibs can pull another Coldplay out of their bag of tricks.

Please! Please! Please! Enough of V&M's "romance".

Edited by greendog78
Not all contractions mean the same thing.
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, greendog78 said:

Please! Please! Please! Enough of V&M's "romance".

It's bad enough having them return to competition but their obsessive uber fans have come out of the woodwork (not their regular fans...I know they have normal fans!)  V/M said they wanted to try something different but it looks as though they're doing the same type of programs all over again.  I'd like to see them do something similar to what the Shibutanis did with Cold Play's music...something totally different.  

• Love 1

Wow, watching figures IS like watching pain dry, but I think I agree with @greendog78-  It would be nice to see some fundamentals/technique instead of how many times can a person rotate in the air.  It would improve the quality of their skating, that is for sure.  But yes, it should never be aired on tv.

I loved the Shibs' fix you, and I don't like V&M.  I'm tired of watching ice dancers play romance all the time- After watching some Ice dancing competitions, I feel like I've been reading a cheesy romance novel set to music.  The Shibs, at least, go out there and dance.

• Love 5

Okay, I went on the Universal HD site and this is the info I learned:

On 12/8   9:30 PM  ISU GP OF FIGURE SKATING  FINAL: PAIRS SHORT

10:30 PM  ISU GP OF FIGURE SKATING   FINAL: MEN'S SHORT

On 12/9  9:30 PM  ISU GP OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL: SHORT DANCE

10:30 PM  ISU GP OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL: PAIRS FREE

11:30 PM  ISU GP OF FIGURE SKATING   FINAL: WOMEN'S SHORT

On 12/7/2016 at 0:52 PM, Silver Raven said:

If you've ever seen them, you would never wish that again.  They are literally as boring as watching paint dry.  A skater makes a figure, the referees get out their measuring tapes and calipers, and check to see how close to the ideal each figure is.  It can take ten or fifteen minutes per figure for each competitor.  Gaaaaah.

The one exception to this is Ice Dancing, when the couples were required to do all the basic figures (including Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Kilian, and Paso Doble, if I remember correctly) as the first round of competition before what was then known as the Compulsory Dance or Pattern Dance round (which was replaced by the Short Dance just a few years ago).  I would love to see the first-round school figures back for Ice Dancing, and if DanceSport ever gets into the Summer Olympics, that's the format I'd like to see adopted for it:  Pattern dances for all dances done in actual DanceSport competitions (9- or 10-dance, depending on whether the dancers are competing in International Standard/Latin or American Smooth/Rhythm), then a compulsory dance, then a Freestyle or Showdance.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

I really liked the Shibs. Maybe, it's because they can't do the romance emo routines.

Are Virtue/Moir really that good again so soon? I really liked them in 2010 but now it's all such a predictable schtick that I can't tell.

• Love 2

I watched the GP final, sort of, this weekend. I was only partially paying attention, but I'm pretty sure I heard Johnny Weir discussion the "inflation" of Patrick Chan's scores based on his artistry and that there had been discussion of how he could fall multiple times and still win because of that inflation of scores. I really could sense Johnny wanted to say Chanflation. 

Johnny also said it was totally different now and Chan's artistry was no longer so much better than the other men.

I just wanted to note that...

• Love 1

I also was glad to hear Ryan Bradley call out Medvedyeva on all the arm over the head thing.    He basically said that it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing or difficult as a straight arm over the head (like a Tano Triple), but that as long as it garners a lot of points, she will keep doing it.  I like how Bradley is always pleasant, but calls it like he sees it.

Medvedyeva is incredibly talented and deserving of her wins, but something about her bugs me.  I find myself hoping her reign ends abruptly with the apprearance of the next Russian phenom.  I'm fairly confident that the US ladies won't be in sniffing distance of the podium this year.

For the record, I enjoyed Satoko's free skate the most out of all the ladies.  And amen to the posted above who questioned whether Virtue and Moir are All That so soon after their return.  Disappointed to see the Shibs drop a place.

• Love 6

I think Patrick took one year off after Sochi.  In this brief span of time the quad jumping in the long really took off.  Yuzu and Javier started doing 3 quads in the long, and now it is starting to take 2 quads in the short and 4 or 5! quads in the long to podium.  This is tough for Patrick to pull off, and for Jason and Adam, the ship has sailed.  They struggle to do one quad over both programs.  I really love Jason Brown's skating (and him) but I don't see how he can catch up internationally.  And I wish he had a more dynamic long program.  His lp is beautiful but too one note, especially if he has a bad night with jumping.  Nathan should win Nationals with ease.

I'm another one who would like to see something other than lovey dovey in ice dance.  P&C are lovely in ethereal programs, but can they do anything else?  I was kind of surprised to see the ease with which V&M won the GP final.  Chock and Bates are not doing lovey dovey, but they appear to have been dumped by the judges.

I discovered a pairs team that looks promising.  Ashley Cain & Tim LeDuc just teamed up this year.  She was a singles skater and I'm not sure what his background is.  Their lines are *gorgeous*!  I am hoping they can podium at Nationals.

And I am hoping against hope that Gracie can get to where she needs to be to skate well.  I hate how broken she looks on the ice now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tippi said:

I'm another one who would like to see something other than lovey dovey in ice dance.  P&C are lovely in ethereal programs, but can they do anything else?  I was kind of surprised to see the ease with which V&M won the GP final.  Chock and Bates are not doing lovey dovey, but they appear to have been dumped by the judges.

I wonder if the judges just don't like the look of Chock and Bates, the way Bates seems (IMO) to be trying to compensate for the big difference in height.  I'm no expert in ice dance but I don't like watching them out there on the ice.  V&M's free dance just about puts me to sleep.  I miss the big skating of Davis & White. That's just my opinion.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Tippi said:

I discovered a pairs team that looks promising.  Ashley Cain & Tim LeDuc just teamed up this year.  She was a singles skater and I'm not sure what his background is.  Their lines are *gorgeous*!  I am hoping they can podium at Nationals

Ashley Cain was a pairs skater with Joshua Reagan and won both Novice Pairs and Junior Pairs at Nationals with him. They broke up because Ashley wanted to pursue a singles career, but I think she found out that it wasn't that easy doing all the triple jumps. Tim Leduc has had several partners, most recently DeeDee Leng. They are coached by Ashley's father, Peter Cain.

• Love 1

I love Satoko's skate for many reasons, not the least of which is SOMEONE is actually skating to Star Wars music (real SW). The titling is wrong and Johnny was right - the last piece before the end piece is Princess Leia's theme from New Hope.

And yes, it made me smile to hear Johnny talking about "Chan inflation."

• Love 5
On 12/20/2016 at 3:02 PM, culturevulture73 said:

the last piece before the end piece is Princess Leia's theme from New Hope

I love that too!  I was also pleased to discover as I checked out some other competitions this season that one of the Canadian ladies is skating to music from the HBO series Rome.  That has some seriously awesome music (by the wonderfully talented composer Jeff Beal.)  I think the skater is Alaine Chartrand; the music cuts are too choppy in her program but I wish other skaters would make use of some of that music.

• Love 1

Did anybody else watch Russian nationals? 

I am unashamed to say that I am totally on the Alina Zagitova bandwagon and hope that she'll be able to maintain once she grows into her body. Her technique is little weird and I find her axel take off to be strange, but overall I really like her, and hope that she continues to do well next year. I look forward to seeing what music she chooses because I really enjoyed the Don Quixote program even if Don Quixote falls under the list of music that should be temporarily retired.

Maria Sotskova has been a reliable and pleasant surprise this season. Before seeing anyone skate, I guessed that she'd end up fifth or sixth, so good for her for rising to the challenge.

I still have a couple of issues with Anna Pogorilaya in that she seems unrefined and sloppy at times, but she's mostly won me over this season and I really love her short program. I admire the consistency she's shown this year and definitely think that she's improved since last season. Lucky for her though that Alina is so young.  

How sad for Elizaveta to have such a fast come down. Just a year ago she was doing triple axels like it was nothing. I hope she doesn't give up. 

I'm actually more curious to see which ladies will make the Russian Olympic team than the American ladies. Evgenia is a given but I feel like there are five realistic contenders for the other two spots. (Six if we count Julia.) I would have to think Adelina watched this year and knows that there's no way she's going to be able to make another team. 

On 12/1/2016 at 10:08 PM, delicatecutter said:

As far as the American ladies go, we haven't had a strong one since Sasha retired. There was that 10 year drought at Worlds. Ashley has issues, fundamentally. And she isn't getting any younger. Gracie is a hot hot mess emotionally. That is almost impossible to change, especially at this point in her career. Sad, but true. I'd just be happy if we can get 3 girls to the Olympics and I pray one of them is my girl Mirai. And even though she is fitter than she has been in years, she still struggles with nerves and underrotating her jumps. So much of skating at this level is mental.

I don't understand why the American ladies aren't as strong as they used to be. 

I haven't given up on Mirai, but I have given up on the idea that the judges will ever truly respect her spins and artistry. 

On 12/19/2016 at 3:45 PM, Libby96 said:

I also was glad to hear Ryan Bradley call out Medvedyeva on all the arm over the head thing.    He basically said that it wasn't as aesthetically pleasing or difficult as a straight arm over the head (like a Tano Triple), but that as long as it garners a lot of points, she will keep doing it.  I like how Bradley is always pleasant, but calls it like he sees it.

Medvedyeva is incredibly talented and deserving of her wins, but something about her bugs me.  I find myself hoping her reign ends abruptly with the apprearance of the next Russian phenom.  I'm fairly confident that the US ladies won't be in sniffing distance of the podium this year.

This is pretty much how I feel and I'm okay with Alina being the one. I wish that Elena had stronger technique because she's a joy to watch when she's on. When I compare her with skaters who appear to have notable emotional damage from the sport like Gracie, Julia, or Mirai, I get the impression that Elena is someone who really enjoys skating, performing, and being on the ice. 

I don't dislike Evgenia's skating and think that a lot of what she does is wonderful but yes, I agree, there is something about her skating that annoys me. I also don't like her long program and feel that it's deliberately manipulative. 

I know it doesn't help that Johnny and Tara think that the sun shines out of her ass. Johnny's Russian bias in general continues to grate on my nerves. 

• Love 1

I just stumbled across the Russian nationals in HD on the ESPN app. Am going to binge now while I've got the house to myself. 

(edit)- day 1, 8 hours of coverage. Maybe it's going to take a while to watch. 

Edited by selkie
  • Love 1

Made it through the first 8 hours of Russians on ESPN Ocho. There is a lot of dead time showing zamboni action- just keep hitting fast forward for five minute intervals until the next group is warming up on the ice.  I don't know who they've got announcing but they're bilingual Russian old timers (the guy was talking about competing at the Soviet Union national championships) who bring the snark and gossip about assorted Russian skating programs and skaters ("He is not good enough to compete internationally so we only really see him once a year at nationals.") I did not know that Gorsha Sur became a lawyer after he retired from sport. 

• Love 1

Inside the Games has picked up the Adelina Sotnikova story

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1045348/olympic-figure-skating-champion-among-athletes-under-investigation-following-mclaren-report-it-is-claimed

Italian newspaper La Gazetta dello Sport has reported that Sotnikova - who was just 17 when she won in Sochi - is among others under investigation.

She is named on the list under the identification code A0848 as one athlete about whom scratches indicative of tampering were found on test tubes in which urine samples were submitted.

There is no evidence she was personally aware of this and she has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing.

But, if the reports are true, it appears possible she could ultimately be stripped of her gold medal.

8 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Have you been to Nationals before, carrier76? This will be my 23rd and they are so much fun! There is a lot they don't show on television.

I went to the ladies' long program in St. Louis when it was here in 2006. I was bummed at the time because I had been hoping to see Kwan skate, and see her make her 3rd Olympic team, so after she dropped out, it was a bit anticlimactic for me. This time I am going to the competition alone, and spent the money for good seats so I can really enjoy it. I'm excited.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, carrier76 said:

This time I am going to the competition alone, and spent the money for good seats so I can really enjoy it. I'm excited.

You should be, although I hope you are not a Polina Edmunds fan. Reports are that she is planning on withdrawing as she still is not 100%.

My sister and I went for the week when Tara and Michelle made the A Olympic team (almost 20 years ago now - EEK!).  We completely od'ed, watching every practice and all competitions.  We loved it, but I remember a woman we met telling us that we had now completely spoiled ourselves from ever being able to enjoy it on TV again.  She was right, unfortunately.  The other thing that surprised me was the disparity between the top few and the rest of the competition.  There is a reason that not every competitor is shown on tv.

• Love 6

After years and years of watching competitive figure skating on TV I finally got to see it live at the Salt Lake Olympics (Vancouver, too, later). Two things: I was surprised to see how fast the skaters were actually going; television doesn't give you a full sense of their speed. And, holy mother of Torvill and Dean, you have to sit through a LOT of mediocre skating to get to the good ones. As Crs97 noted above, you do NOT want to see them all. (Even worse, sitting through an entire afternoon of diving at the Sydney Games. Whiz! Splash! I wanted to eat my head from boredom after half an hour. And I LIKE diving -- on TV.)

• Love 2
On 04/01/2017 at 9:48 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

You should be, although I hope you are not a Polina Edmunds fan. Reports are that she is planning on withdrawing as she still is not 100%.

I am not, so this works out for me. Sorry, Polina!

16 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

After years and years of watching competitive figure skating on TV I finally got to see it live at the Salt Lake Olympics (Vancouver, too, later). Two things: I was surprised to see how fast the skaters were actually going; television doesn't give you a full sense of their speed. And, holy mother of Torvill and Dean, you have to sit through a LOT of mediocre skating to get to the good ones.

So true. The speed of the skaters is something you can't ever appreciate on television. But it is good to see the first flights of skaters. It really helps you understand how good the top flight skaters are. And occasionally there is a beautiful skate that you will remember forever.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So true. The speed of the skaters is something you can't ever appreciate on television. But it is good to see the first flights of skaters. It really helps you understand how good the top flight skaters are. And occasionally there is a beautiful skate that you will remember forever.

For sure.  After all, the new elites have to come from somewhere, and anyone can have an off performance at any level.  You just never know.

• Love 1

Reigning Men’s Champion Adam Rippon and Ladies bronze medalist Polina Edmunds have both withdrawn from next week’s U.S. Nationals in Kansas City.

Rippon broke his left foot and sprained the same ankle during an off-ice warm-up last Friday. Rippon is expected to be off the ice for 6-8 weeks; he will resume training once he gets clearance from his doctors. Edmunds has been dealing with a bone bruise on her right foot for close to a year, and is not ready to be back in competition.

Both skaters said that they will compete during the 2018 season with the hope of making the 2018 U.S. Olympic Team.

I'm so sorry about Adam.  How terrible this had to occur (at all!) but especially so close to Nationals.  He has worked so hard, and I really admire his persistence and commitment to his performances.  That said, I'd like to see the young guys really break out this year. Nathan, Vincent, Andrew, bring it, fellas!

I would have liked to see how Polina would mature in her presentation and if she could maintain her technical skills.  I admired her competitive nerve at last yr's meet.

Still excited for Nationals!  Every discipline should be a real showdown.

Here are the broadcast times for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Please note all times listed are EASTERN (Kansas City is on Central Time). Check the TV listings for the channels and times in your area. All events listed are Senior events.

NBCSN

Thursday, Jan. 19 - 5:30 pm: Pairs Short Program

Thursday, Jan. 19 - 9:30 pm: Ladies Short Program

Friday, Jan. 20 - 6:00 pm: Short Dance

UNIVERSAL HD

Friday, Jan. 20 - 8:30 pm: Men’s Short Program

(Note: This may be listed on your channel guide or TV schedule as Various Sports or just Sports, but the NBC listing for coverage of U.S. Championships indicates this will be the Men’s Short Program broadcast).

NBC

Saturday, Jan. 21 - 3:00 pm: Pairs Free Skate Group 3 (top group) and Free Dance Groups 3 and 4

Saturday, Jan. 21 - 8:00 pm: Ladies Free Skate Groups 2, 3, and 4

Sunday, Jan. 22 - 4:00 pm: Men’s Free Skate Groups 3 and 4

ICENETWORK LIVE STREAMING

The list for the live streaming from Nationals is very long so I’m just going to give you the link here.

NBC - SMUCKERS SKATING SPECTACULAR

Saturday, Jan. 28, 2:30 pm

UNIVERSAL HD RE-AIR OF NBC BROADCASTS

Monday, Jan. 23 - 8:00 pm: Pairs Free Skate Group 3, Free Dance Groups 3 and 4

Tuesday, Jan. 24 - 8:00 pm: Ladies Free Skate

Wednesday, Jan. 25 - 8:00 pm Men’s Free Skate

Sunday, Jan. 29 - 8:00 pm: Smuckers Skating Spectacular

For our friends up north, here is the TV schedule for the Canadian Championships. All times are Eastern:

TSN: Friday, Jan. 20 - 3:30 pm: Ladies Short Program, Short Dance

TSN 3/5: Friday, Jan. 20 - 7:30 pm: Men’s Short Program, Pairs Short Program

CTV: Saturday, Jan. 21 - 1:00 pm: Free Dance, Ladies Free Skate

CTV: Saturday, Jan. 21 - 7:30 pm: Pairs Free Skate, Men’s Free Skate

Safe travels for those going to Nationals/Canadians. I'll see you in Kansas City!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 5

2015 U.S. Pairs Champions Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Chris Knierim have withdrawn from next week’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Kansas City.

Scimeca Knierim underwent stomach surgery in September, and while the team has resumed full training, they do not feel they have had enough time to prepare for next week's Nationals. Like many skaters, they are looking ahead to next season and want to be completely healthy and ready as they try to make the 2018 U.S. Olympic team.

In addition to Scimeca Knieim and Knierim withdrawing, Calalang and Sidhu and Fields and Stevens have withdrawn from Senior Pairs due to injury.

This leaves another skating discipline with uncertainty about who will be on the podium at the end of the competition. Let’s just hope that whichever Pairs end up in the top two spots at Nationals will do well enough at Worlds to hold two spots for Pairs for the U.S. at next year’s Olympics and Worlds. Placements at 2017 Worlds determine the number of entries each country gets into the 2018 Olympics as well as 2018 Worlds.