Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
EBR: "We were just saying this in photo ops... Like, this would've been pure hell if I hated you for all these years."
SA: "We were doing photo ops. Emily turned to me and she goes, 'Oh, my God, can you imagine if, like, we hated each other?' .. I mean, the only difference between, like, um - we have a good relationship because we get along with one another, and because Emily's a wonderful actor, and because we - (Off EBR's reaction and audience laughter) - thanks for proudly owning it... But, other than the occasional - the occasional smooch or starting a scene where we're getting out of bed, same relationship with Diggle." (More audience laughter)
EBR: "All of those getting out of bed scenes and smooches with Diggle are just in the bloopers." (SA laughs)
SA: "No, it comes down to, shooting a television show, you work so much. It's long hours. And its arduous. It's not actual work, it's acting. And, uh, but, you spend a lot of time - you spend a lot of time with these people. And getting along with them and cultivating a relationship like that shows up on screen."
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Fan: "Had Crisis never happened, how would you have liked the story to end for your characters?"
EBR: "Interestingly enough, we left in such a... I would say, happy place, in a way? We get to sort of explore this idea of - I guess, universe and consciousness beyond. I don't know if we'd change it. (To SA) I don't want you to die... That's not what I'm saying... I don't know if I would change it."
Fan then said that she's a "sucker for happy endings" and would've loved them to "go off and have a million babies" and have Smoak Tech become "an empire."
SA: "Oh, you guys don't know this, we have a comic book coming out. We have a lot of, uh, after-world babies."
EBR: "But since it's a different universe -"
SA: "I'm pregnant."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

EBR: "That would be her journey and experience for other people and that would be the best thing, I think."
Mod: "It's such a great legacy to have come out of the show. What are some of the stories that you hear from young women who come up to your table or speak to you?"
EBR: "Well, even just today I had a woman come up and say, 'this is for my daughter, she's 8, she's really smart, can you just write "STEM rules" on it?' And if I had 'STEM rules' on a shirt when I was 8, I would be rockin' right now with the science. You know, I think that that - it's super important. I think that was around for me growing up, but not like this. And that will give it so much more platform and social media and we can use that for the power of these sort of things. That's just crazy cool."
Mod: "Yeah, it's very cool, and congratulations for creating that."
EBR: "Well, its the writers..."
Mod: "And you."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

The whole panel got posted: 

And a clip of them answering the question of “when would Oliver have told Felicity he loved her if he could have done it earlier?”

I was at the con, and there was definitely a goofy, carefree vibe with both SA and EBR the whole time. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 14
(edited)

Here's another recording of the entire Olicity panel at C2E2 on Feb. 29, 2020 (in case one video gets taken down) - I'm working on my transcriptions and will post them when done...

ARROW Panel - Stephen Amell / Emily Bett Rickards - C2E2 2020
Fandom Spotlite   Mar. 1, 2020

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I was at the con, and there was definitely a goofy, carefree vibe with both SA and EBR the whole time.

I’m so jealous! It looked like they were having such a great time (esp since EBR has appeared nervous at cons before) and they gave us such great content. The fandom was well fed this weekend!

• Love 3
(edited)

Here are my transcriptions of this Olicity panel at C2E2 on Feb. 29, 2020 (transcribed from Fandom Spotlite video)...

Paddle Boarding in Their Free Time
Mod: "What are you doing with your free time?"
SA: "Waiting to get back to work! ... I know Emily and I went, uh, paddle boarding in Deep Cove in British Columbia. And this was -"
EBR: "Got him into the middle of the water. He was terrified... Ahh."
SA: "Well, I was... I was looking at Emily, having wrapped up on Arrow in Season 7 back, like, in April, and this was like August, maybe? And she was totally chill. Not me! ... I've been a creature of habit for the better part of eight years. And I feel a little bit like a man without a country right now, quite frankly. I'm excited to get back to work."

Olicity: The First Couple of the Arrowverse
Mod: "Well, you guys are the first couple of the Arrowverse. Let's just talk a little bit about the relationship between Felicity and Oliver. Do you want to tell me how you sort of developed it? How did you create that bond that's so believable?"
EBR: "Well, you know, we were just saying this in - we were just saying this in photo ops. I looked at him and I'm like, 'this would've been pure hell if I hated you for eight years.'"
SA: "Emily - no, we were doing photo ops. Emily turned to me and she goes, 'Oh, my God, can you imagine if, like, we hated each other?'"
EBR: "You guys were getting together. We were just like dancing around and all - we were just doing shi - I don't know what we were doing, to be honest."
SA: "I mean, the only - the only difference between, like - um, we have a good relationship because we get along with one another, and because Emily's a wonderful actor, (EBR interjects, "This is true") and because we -"
EBR: "That is why. That is the only -"
SA: "Thanks for finally owning it! I really appreciate it. But other than the occasional - the occasional smooch or, uh, starting a scene where we're getting out of bed - same relationship with Diggle." (Audience laughs)
EBR: "Um-hmm."
Mod: "I can see that. Yeah."
SA: "But that comes back to -"
EBR: "All of those getting out of bed scenes and smooches with Diggle are just in the bloopers." (SA laughs)
SA: "'Lyla, what are you doing here?' That's not it. Um, no, it comes down to, shooting a television show, you work so much. And it's long hours. And its arduous. It's not actual work, it's acting. And, uh, but, you spend a lot of time - you spend a lot of time with these people. And getting along with them and cultivating a relationship like that shows up on screen."

Shooting Season 8 Without EBR "Sucked"
Mod: "Well, Season 8 you did revisit a lot of guest stars and recurring characters. But Felicity, except for the finale, was gone. Was that - how did you feel not having her around after seven seasons?"
SA: "It sucked."
Mod: "Yeah."
SA: "She's my - she was my best friend, on the set. And it weird being there"
EBR: "Weird, 'was.' Anybody hear the 'was'? I'm here."
SA: "Well, you weren't there anymore. You were my - you were my best friend when we were paddle boarding. Uh, it was really difficult, actually. I understand and support what EmBett did, but that doesn't mean that going to set and not having her there wasn't (Whispers) shitty."
EBR: "I also have much fewer opportunities now to take photos and videos of Stephen when he is not aware. And I'm going and getting very creative with it, considering we now live in different countries. Um, so there's just like less videos of you in my phone, which is very sad."
SA: "Every once in a while, like for Christmas, Emily will give me like a Polaroid of like a candid photo of me. And I go, 'I don't know when that was and who took it, but you took it, didn't you? (Mock angry) I've asked you to stop doing that.'"
Mod: "But yet there was still a video."
EBR: "And they're beautiful. Such a beautiful -" (Briefly grabs his chin with her fingers)

Returning for the Series Finale Was a "Surprise" For EBR
Mod: "Was it always your plan to return for the finale?"
EBR: "You know, it was sort of a surprise for me. I was, um - Beth Schwartz called me and said, 'I have a really great idea and I think you're going to love it. Can I send you the script?' Um, and then the script changed a lot over time and it was a couple weeks before the finale started shooting that it was all confirmed. And as soon as I got to set, it was like a high school reunion."

Felicity's Legacy: STEM Hero
Mod: "Felicity has become a STEM hero for young girls, you know, and -"
EBR: "That's so cool."
Mod: "It's really cool."
EBR: "I would've had no idea that that would be her journey and experience for other people and that is the best thing, I think, for myself."
Mod: "It's such a great legacy to have come out of the show. What are some of the stories that you hear from young women who come up to your table or speak to you?"
EBR: "Well, even just today I had a woman come up and say, 'this is for my daughter, she's 8, she's really smart, can you just write "STEM Rules" on it?' And if I was given 'STEM Rules' on a shirt when I was 8, I would be rockin' right now with the science. You know, and I think that that - it's super important. I think that was around for me growing up, but not like this. And now that we have so much more platform and social media and we can use that for the power of these sort of things. That is just crazy cool."
Mod: "Yeah, it's very cool, and congratulations for creating that."
EBR: "Well, it's the writers as well. It's not just me. And -" (Gestures to SA)
Mod (to SA): "And you."
(SA points to EBR.)

What They Geek Out About - Reading, Peanut Butter, Survivor
EBR: "Reading... I'm reading about, yeah, probably close to 15 different books right now. I'm just thinking about my stack next to my bed."
Mod: "Do you have 'ender's angst' where you don't finish the book but you start another one?"
EBR: "I don't get the angst. I get - I get like, um - I get, 'oh, I just wanted to - I wanted to learn about that,' and all of a sudden I'm over there doing something. I'm doing something on myth and like color and all of these things. And all of a sudden my brain's like, 'oh my God, just watch TV.' Like, 'whatever you're doing, please stop giving us literature.' And peanut butter, I eat a lot of that. So that's like a huge fan."
SA: "What kind?"
EBR: "Um, there's this Fatso peanut butter. No, I'm just like -"
SA: "I know Fat -"
EBR: "Oh, my God, it's so good."
SA: "Is it salted?"
EBR: "No."
SA: "Why not?"
EBR: "I don't know. Should it be?"
SA: "Well, live a little."
EBR: "Okay."
SA: "Is it crunchy?"
EBR: "Yeah."
SA: "Heh, heh, heh... Um, I don't know what I - I don't know what I geek out over. I love TV. I still - I still love - um, I still love Survivor... I gave - I gave EmBett a buff... (EBR interjects, "I got a 40th buff") ... because I bought a collector's set of buffs... (EBR interjects, "I got the purple one") ... I don't know why. But Emily used to get mad at me because I used to be a voracious reader. Like, I'd read like 15, 20 books a year. And, uh, every since I booked Arrow, I've had a really, really difficult time just sort of like settling down and reading, with very few exceptions, but maybe like one book a year. And Emily gave me a bunch of books and I still haven't read them."
EBR: "In Season 1, he goes, 'let's do our favorite book trade.' And I was like, oh, my God, this is the man of my dreams, he's going to be my best friend... (SA interjects, "I'm starting it tomorrow") ... We're going to trade books for eight years. Okay, he gave me Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman. Great book. Hadn't read it. Read all of Chuck's works, so I was like, this is crazy. I gave him Shantaram. Eight years later, I was like, how is it? He goes, 'still haven't read it.'"
Mod: "But now's your chance."
SA: "Starting it tomorrow."

Fan Q: What DC Character Would They Have Liked to Have Interacted With?
SA: "We could have had Jensen Ackles come on as Batman, but only if people wanted to have an awesome time. I would have liked to, uh, the whole Bruce Wayne of it all. That would've been fun, although my favorite ever - I don't feel like I have any regrets, because I got to call Superman 'Clark.' That was not in the script. I was supposed to call him Superman. I called him Clark and the director goes, 'can we get one where you call him Superman?' And I go, no."
Mod: "I don't think so. Yeah. No. Emily, anyone come to mind?"
EBR: "I was thinking Batman, too. And I was just like, here it comes, here it comes, here it comes."
Mod: "You see, the symmetry is still going on between the two of you."

Fan Q: Any Alternate Lines to "You Have Failed This Universe"?
SA: "Yeah, there was one alternate of the line where, uh, I stated it as a question. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. No. No. 'You have failed this universe?' No, no. That was it. And that's a really tough thing to do. I was talking to someone earlier - when you've got a catch phrase, it's really, really difficult to not be a caricature. But you've got to really like lean into it. And I'm always embarrassed when I do it. A little bit. But like, if I don't lean into 'you have failed this universe' - it's going to sound so bad... (EBR interjects, "It's like some egg, just take the egg," and swipes imaginary egg off his face)... Yeah, lots of egg on your face, yeah. you're right."
Mod: "But you're so right about that. You have to like put like the depth and the weight behind that statement."
EBR: "If you're going to do it, do it all."
SA: "In for a penny, in for a pound."
Mod: "Exactly."

Fan Q: Any Advice for Someone Who's Never Watched Arrow on How to Start Watching?
SA: "Erin, real quick. What are you doing here?"
Fan: "I really admire your work, that's why?"
SA: "Are you sure? Because it sounds like you've never seen any of it."
EBR: "Get some popcorn and your family and sit down, 'cause you got 7 seasons times 23 episodes, and 1 plus 10."
Mod: "And then all the crossovers."
SA: "170 episodes."
EBR: "I'm no mathematician."
SA: "Um, hey, Erin, do you have a television?"
Fan: "Yes."
SA: "Do you have an Internet connection?
EBR: "Oh, my God."
Fan: "Yes."
SA: "Uh, brand new, you Netflix."
Fan: "Can't afford it. I'm in college."
SA: "Okay. Pirate Bay? (Audience laughs) That would be my advice. Begin at the beginning. Um, block your VPN and, uh - (To mod) Is this being recorded?"

Fan Q: Did They Take Any Props At the End of the Show?
EBR: "Oh, man, I tried to make it away with this cookie jar that was a cactus with a sombrero on it. And I couldn't - I couldn't get it. At the end of seven seasons, they were like you still can't have this cookie jar. And I was like, I will pay you, I will kill you - like, I was doing everything. (To Stephen) You come away with any cookie jars or -? No."
SA: "What are you talking about?"
EBR: "This cookie jar."
SA: "Where was it?"
EBR: "It was in one of the crossovers. We were in the cabin. There was the taxidermy bull head on the wall. Like, there was a lot of stuff going on.And I was like, that margherita cookie jar is coming home with me. And then Jen was also fighting me for it. Jen, who's in our Electrics Department, and she's amazing. Um, we were fighting for it. Neither of us got it. They wouldn't - they wouldn't budge."
Mod: "Now it's probably sitting somewhere at The CW."
EBR: "Oh, it's probably nowhere. It's probably shattered on the floor, wanting an owner. Like, I was going to give it a good home."
SA: "Still no! When you end a television show, and this is a real thing, I don't know why they do this, but they take every single prop that has ever been involved in the show - anything of significance - and they start cataloging it. And they put it in the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse somewhere. And that's it. Like, the only time that I was able to take anything, other than stealing the bow from the pilot, which I have, um.... (Pauses) ... I gave it away for a year, too, believe it or not. But I got it back... So I gave it to a young lady in San Diego and then I gave her an Arrow jacket. That's all that I got. Uh, I got a poster. I posted it on Twitter. And it was the Season 8 poster, but it was signed by everybody. And frankly, that's all that I needed."

What Was Missing From Season 8 That SA Wanted to See Happen
SA: "Yeah. I would have liked - um, I would have liked a scene with, um, Colin Salmon, who played Walter Steele. Um, I would have liked to, like, have had a moment with Katrina, who played Nyssa. (To Mod) How long do we have?"
Mod: "We got 30 minutes and 7 seconds."
SA: "No, I was very, very happy with the people that Oliver got to see. There wasn't anyone, um, on the list, so to speak, no pun intended, um, that - that we didn't get to, that I was like, well, okay, that feels like a miss... Um, there were a couple ones that we tried for that we couldn't make happen. That's okay."

Fan Q: What Was Their Favorite Dialogue Or Scene To Perform?
EBR: "There is a scene in Season 1. Um, Wendy Stanzler directed the episode. And it's when Felicity gives Oliver the book for the first time. (To SA) Do you remember that?"
SA: "Oh, my God, we shot that scene at 4 o' clock in the morning on Saturday morning!"
EBR: "See, I don't remember that."
SA: "I do. I was exhausted."
EBR: "But I was happy. And it was beautiful and sunny out and I felt like - I, like - I always remember that day. I remember being, like, oh, I live here now. That's probably because it was 4 o' clock in the morning."
SA: "Isn't that where you, like, come into the - like, a diner or something?"
EBR: "I think we lost that set halfway through Season 1."
SA: "Yeah, but it was Big Belly Burger. You came into Big Belly Burger and you were like, 'what's going on, why do you look that way?' And I'm like, 'well, I'm agreeable,' and then you got serious. And that was sort of the first time that we had a - 'cause that was before you knew - (Pauses) I'm conflating. No, that was - no, no, it was before... Okay, you showed me the book. Right."
EBR: "I always remember that episode."
SA: "We had an awesome scene at - ah, man, uh, a little bit of the way through episode 309, where I get stabbed in the chest and kicked off a cliff, where I tell her that I love her. And also we have our last scene together before our last scene together. I think the cool thing about that was - and this never happens, this is the only time that this happened, other than if you designed a scene where it's just one shot, but even then you do a bunch of takes. This scene where we say good-bye to each other in the cabin, our director shot a master of the two of us, shot one take on Emily, one take on me, and then wrapped us."
EBR: "What you see is what you have."
SA: "And then the script supervisor was going -"
EBR: "'Are you sure?'"
SA: "'Are you sure? Are you sure? You sure? 'Cause Stephen's crying, and I couldn't totally understand what he said.' ... 'Yep. We're wrapped.'"

Fan Q: Spoiler Alert for Fan (Erin) Who Hasn't Watched Arrow Yet.
Fan: "My question was, that scene - and spoiler alert for Erin, I guess, who hasn't watched the show, (SA laughs) um, for the funeral scene that you guys shot, um, I was bawling -"
(Audience and EBR explode with laughter.)
Mod: "Hush up, over there, Erin."
EBR: "Wait. What? Wait. Who dies?"
SA: "Laurel."
EBR: "Nooo."
Fan: "The funeral scene, when you guys shot it, Stephen, were you there? And what was sort of like, I guess, how was everyone feeling when you guys actually shot the thing...?"
SA: "I'm going to let EmBett take over... 'cause I was not there. 'Hey, want to come by for your funeral scene?' 'Neh-eh.'"
EBR: "You will see in the photos of all the cast around the cast with big smiles. That's because we were like five takes into this photo and it was like, 'my phone,' 'my phone,' and then someone was like, 'shouldn't we be sad?' Because we all hadn't seen each other in what felt like a decade. But, you know, it wasn't that long. But we hadn't all been on set. (To SA) We've never all been on set without you. Like, it was weird not having you there. You probably should have been there. But everyone's like, 'Hey, how's it going? What's going on? How's you mom? Oh, my God, this is great. You want to go to Crafty? Let's grab a doughnut. Like, you should have been popping champagne at that point." (Laughs)
Mod: "Mixed emotions, you might say."
EBR: "Then 'Action,' everyone's like, 'Oh, my God'... 'Is that my daughter?'"

Katherine McNamara Reminds SA of EBR
SA: "How'd you like working with Kat?"
EBR: "Kat's the best."
SA: "Isn't she cool?"
EBR: "Yeah."
SA: "I like Kat a lot."
EBR: "Oh, my God."
SA: "Works hard. Reminds me of you, actually."
EBR: "No."
SA: "Good casting."
EBR: "Good casting. Good Kat-sting."

Fan Q: How Much of Their Character Portrayals Were Due to Decisions Made By Them, By Inspiration Or By Director's Directives?
SA: "The last thing."
Fan: "Really, that's it?"
SA: "No, actually, straight up. When it came to the pilot, it was directed by David Nutter. And he's the greatest television director that's ever lived... And we had, you know, Greg Berlanti, who's turned out to be relatively smart. And our EPs - just, in general, that I knew what they wanted and I just wanted to listen to them. And in the early going, I was very much just - the character was supposed to sort of be a little bit more quiet, a little bit more reticent, and, um, that was intimidating to me because I didn't want the character to come across as being wooden. Um, but it really was about listening to what they wanted. Um, you know, which is fundamentally different than the job that I'm getting ready for now, where all I'm doing is just thinking about what this character's going to be like, whereas in March of 2012, it was like, what do you want me to do? That's it."

Auditioning for Oliver Queen
SA: "I read the script on a Saturday night. I went in and I auditioned on a Tuesday for David Rapaport, who was the casting director. David Nutter was there, who directed the pilot. All of our EPs were there. It was in Greg Berlanti's office. And when I read the script, when I pictured it in my mind's eye, it was remarkably close to what the pilot ended up looking like, which is just lucky. ... The thing about acting - are there any aspiring actors in here? (Affirmative response from fan) Okay, cool. I heard a great quote once: 'You've never right for a part until you're perfect for it.' ... And I just got in there, and David - I was the first guy to audition and David looked at me and just goes, 'Could you please go outside for a second?' And then he brought like 17 more people into the room. And that was it. That was it. ... Because I've definitely shit the bed in a bunch of auditions before, right? You never know. Pardon my language, but it happens. (To EBR) I'm sure you've had auditions where you feel fantastic and auditions where you're like, 'Oh, boy.'"
EBR: "So many."

Fan Q: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self (Both Real Selves and Arrow Characters)?
EBR: "Well, for Emily and Felicity, I'd tell them the same thing. I would just be like, 'constantly be more present.' That's a lifelong journey, I think. I think they can use both of those. And, you know, eat a lot of peanut butter... Felicity's allergic to nuts."
SA: "For Oliver and for me, 'hey, man, relax.' ... I mean, listen, when you're - I think about this all the time, by the time we got to episode 3 on Arrow, the first day that I met Emily, I'd already worked harder on Arrow than I had ever worked on anything in my entire life. So when I say, 'hey, man, relax,' what I mean is, that - it was in the early days, it was all-encompassing, and I suspect that I was probably short-tempered every once in a while, uh, never disrespectful, but, hindsight being what it is, I wish I could go back, knowing what I know now, and apply that to the first couple of years."

Fan Q: Which Characters from Other Arrowverse Shows Did They Want More Scenes With In Crossovers?
SA: "I wanted Oliver to have an affair with Supergirl."
EBR: "I also wanted Oliver to have an affair with Supergirl."
SA: "I also wanted Felicity to have an affair with Supergirl."
EBR: "I also agree."
SA: "As an aside, I'm dead serious."
EBR: "So am I. So I think the answer is: Supergirl. Just to take it all home."
SA: "I felt bad for Melissa, because legitimately the first time they worked together, I was like, 'I don't apologize for this, but I'm totally going to play it like Oliver is super, super into your character.' She was like, 'Can you not?' Anyway, I - she didn't mean it."

(At this point, fan asked about SA's socks. Then we got TMI about SA's clothes and where he buys each and every item of his clothing.)

Fan Q: Who Do They Think Is the Most Huggable Character On Set? (Fan Picked Felicity)
SA: "You know that I've never hugged Paul Blackthorne?"
EBR: "That sucks for you."
SA: "And I really want to."
EBR: "He's a good hugger."
SA: "You know who's a tremendous hugger? The most huggable person, I think, is Juliana."
EBR: "She's such a good hugger... I'll concur with you."

Fan Q: Who Is Their Favorite Co-Star to Work With on Crossovers?
SA: "Oh, Grant. For sure... I really - I really, um - I really, really love and I really value every opportunity that I got to work with Grant. I always felt like... I always felt like when I came out of a scene with Grant or a day of working with him, I always felt like I became a little bit of a better actor, actually... No, selfishly, I wanted to be better."
EBR: "Carlos, for me, I'd have to say. He's - he's like beyond."
SA: "It's weird that he seems like - his style is like, I don't care, but there's also clearly so much work that goes into what he does."
EBR: "You have to prepare so much to look like you don't care."
SA: "I got a long way to go."

Fan Q: What Was Their Most Memorable Moment on Arrow? (Elevator Scenes, First Time In Superhero Suit)
EBR: "The, um - when we flew across the elevator shaft. When they built us an elevator."
SA: "Oh, man, in Season 1 when they're actually building you stuff. They built an entire elevator shaft."
EBR: "And then there was the case of four seasons later, Stephen had to carry me in an elevator shaft... The elevator shaft in Season 1 was like - we were in - what is it called? ... A harness. We're in a harness. The elevator shaft in Season 4 was us on blocks. And him pretending to carry me." (Laughs)
Mod: "Movie magic."
EBR (laughing): "Why didn't they just do that in Season 1?"
SA: "Okay, I'm going to expound on this story for a second. When we did that episode, it was something that they call a bottle episode, which means you're going to be in the studio the entire time. And this episode started right after I did American Ninja Warrior... And when I did American Ninja Warrior, I, um, destroyed both of my arms. Like, it was really bad. I had something called compartment syndrome, which ultra marathoners get in their quadriceps and their hamstrings and their calves and stuff like that. And it's when your muscle has so much fascia stuff on it that it can't express toxins. So it just becomes toxic. And it aches. And we - every single day, we would start with a scene where Emily would just be laying on the ground and I would have to go and pick her up. She's a human being... and very muscular, by the way. (EBR interjects, "Very fit") Very fit. I loved it. I loved every second. It hurt a lot, but I liked it. I remember - the most memorable scene ever, for me - have you ever worn a superhero suit? Other than cosplaying?"
Fan: "No."
SA: "Well, I have. It's awesome. And the very first time on the pilot when I get to come out in the Arrow suit? Hoo! Man, oh man. It's, um -"
EBR: "It's tight."
SA: "It'll never get better."
EBR: "Yeah, he'll never forget that. It's real tight."
SA: "It's all downhill."

(SA then answered fan question about greatest Survivor player of all time. SA and EBR would both do Survivor.)

Fan Q: Will Diggle Return After Getting That Green Lantern "Bling" In the Series Finale?
SA: "I have absolutely no idea. I haven't spoken to anyone that's involved in the production in five months. Not on purpose! ... Erin, cover your ears. I'm dead."

Fan Q: Are There Any People In Front Of Or Behind the Scenes That He'd Like To Take With Him (Or Is Taking With Him) To His New Series, Heels?
SA: "Well, I think that, from a casting standpoint, I'd like to work with new people, just so that people can have a fresh experience. But there are a lot of people on the crew and a lot of directors that we had on the show in particular that I think, um, that I would love to work with on the new show, if it gets rolling and gets moving. Um, it's a little bit difficult because, especially with crew members, we shot in Vancouver, this shoots in Atlanta. Immigration is a thing right now in this country. Sorry. But no - but actually, it's actually really, really difficult at the moment for someone who's on the crew, who's a focus puller, who's a camera operator, who's sound, who's sound, it's not as easy as it used to be to bring them along, but there are some people that I would like to bring along. But I'm sure that we'll get excellent people down in Atlanta. They have excellent crews down there."

Oliver's Legacy: His Journey
SA: "Fixing the entire universe? ... No, one of the things that people bring up - I just like the fact that the character really did change over the course of eight years, um, thanks in no small part to the person sitting to my right. (Gestures to EBR)  But just in general, I like that he went on a journey and, uh, yeah."
Mod: "It was sort of the perfect culmination at the end. Yeah."

Fan Q: What Ending Would They Have Wanted for Their Characters If Crisis Never Happened?
Fan: "Had Crisis never happened, how would you have liked the story to end for your characters?"
EBR: "Interestingly enough, we left in such a - I would say, a happy place, in a way? We get to sort of explore this idea of - I guess, universe and consciousness beyond. I don't know if we'd change it. (To SA) I don't want you to die in any terrible way. That's not what I'm saying. He doesn't - I'm not sure if he - I don't know - I haven't seen - I'm sorry, I should go... But I don't know if I would change it."
Mod: "Did you have an idea of what you wanted to see happen? I think you've thought about this, huh?"
Fan: "A little bit. I mean -"
Mod: "So what's the alternate ending?"
Fan: "I mean, I'm just a sucker for happy endings. So I would've loved them to just go off and have a million babies, and Smoak Tech to become an empire."
EBR: "Who says they didn't?"
Mod: "It's not Tangled, though."
Fan: "Exactly."
EBR: "They can still do that."
SA: "Oh, you guys don't know this? There's a comic book coming out. We have a lot of, uh, afterworld babies."
Fan: "Perfect. Perfect."
EBR: "But since it's a different universe, you're -"
SA: "I'm pregnant."
Mod: "It's an unusual twist."

Fan Q: Who Is the Most Important Arrow Villain?
SA: "Selfishly, Prometheus. Um, I just like the fact that - I know that in the canon of Green Arrow, it's Deathstroke, and Manu and Deathstroke were fantastic and we got the chance to build it up over two seasons and then see him again sporadically for the rest of the show. But I just like the fact that, as a TV show, we got to create a villain off of the lead character's actions in Season 1. And then you have a guy like Josh come in and he nails it. And I think that's cool. I feel like he - there's always going to be more Deathstrokes. There's always going to be more Green Arrows. There's probably going to be another Felicity Smoak. (EBR interjects, "Yeah. That's right.")  But, like, the fact that Josh - he created Prometheus. And I think that's pretty cool."

Fan Q: When Oliver Said in 722 That He Wished He Had Told Felicity He Loved Her Sooner, When Do They Think That Would Have Been?
EBR (singing): "From the moment that they met."
SA: "Six - seven seconds after I saw her."
EBR (singing): "These are bullet holes and I love you... (Normal voice)  I mean, it's amazing. What a track. Number One hit single on iTunes."
Mod: "Thank you."
SA: "I think I - uh, he loved her by like episode 107. Probably."
EBR: "Probably, like, when he was in the back of her Mini Cooper. He was like, 'I know I love this girl.' Because, like, why wouldn't you?"
SA: "Yeah, but that was episode 114. Get it right."
EBR: "I know, that's why I'm saying, 'probably' then."
Mod: "You've sparked a debate up here."

Fan Q: What Is the Weirdest Question They've Ever Been Asked?
SA: "'Would you rather have finger-sized legs or leg-sized fingers?' ... Robbie and I were in Chicago with Emily in 2015, and we did a big Facebook Q&A. And she videotaped it. And I, like, cultivated questions and, like, really like went for it. And thought a lot about what I was going to ask Robbie. My older cousin. And, um - and his first question was, 'Would you rather have finger-sized legs or leg-sized fingers?'"
Mod: "What was your answer?"
SA: "You can't answer that question!"
EBR: "Yes, you can. Because you can still walk on legs the size of fingers, if you have enough. But you can't lift your arms if you have as many fingers the size of legs."
SA: "Congratulations, you're a human beetle."
EBR: "And thank you very much."
SA: "What was your - come on, what do you think?"
EBR: "I don't know. Um... f**k. Sorry."
Mod: "It's a real conundrum. It is."
EBR: "Am I fired?"
SA: "The CW's going to be so mad at us. Oh wait. We're done."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I hope EBR joins SA, Kat and Ben at the other cons. 

SA seems to be getting progressively more done as time goes on and it’s delightful to witness. A couple more Cons and he might start spilling it all. 

Edited by Chaser
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

I think they're both very done right now and SA has made it beyond clear that the only thing about doing S8 was the ginormous pile of money that Berlanti Productions dropped off at his house. So no first season cameos on the spin off if it gets picked up. I wouldn't actually be entirely surprised if time and another ginormous pile of money might change his mind for a small guest spot somewhere in a couple of years. But I don't think they're the only people in the Arrowverse who are/will be completely done with this shit when their contract ends.

EBR reminds me of my sister who loves nothing more than unwinding by paddle boarding or sailing to places where no other human being is. 

Whenever I see/hear them talk about how much they love each other (platonically) and how their IRL relationship helped sell Olicity so much and how thankful about that they are, I always wonder about his relationship with KC. It seems like most of the people he has chemistry with he gets along with BTS, EBR, DR, GG, CL, KM, JS etc.

• Love 9
(edited)

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

Middle East Film & Comic Con (MEFCC), March 5-7, 2020 (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
Joseph David-Jones (also Brandon Routh)
https://www.mefcc.com/en/Overview/Celebrities.html
Main Stage Schedule
-Thu. (3/5) at 4:00pm - In Conversation with Joseph David-Jones
-Thu. (3/5) at 7:00pm - In Conversation with Brandon Routh
-Fri. (3/6) at 1:30pm - Full Celebrity Panel

Wizard World Cleveland, March 6-8, 2020 (OH)
(Tyler Hoechlin, Mehcad Brooks and Jesse Rath)
https://wizardworld.com/index.php/comiccon/cleveland
Programming Schedule
-Sat. (3/7) at 12:45pm - It's A Bird, It's A Plane... It's the Cast of Supergirl: A Conversation with Tyler Hoechlin, Jesse Rath & Mehcad Brooks

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 3/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, tv echo said:

Fan Q: When Oliver Said in 722 That He Wished He Had Told Felicity He Loved Her Sooner, When Do They Think That Would Have Been?
EBR (singing): "From the moment that they met."
SA: "Six - seven seconds after I saw her."
EBR (singing): "These are bullet holes and I love you... (Normal voice)  I mean, it's amazing. What a track. Number One hit single on iTunes."
Mod: "Thank you."
SA: "I think I - uh, he loved her by like episode 107. Probably."
EBR: "Probably, like, when he was in the back of her Mini Cooper. He was like, 'I know I love this girl.' Because, like, why wouldn't you?"
SA: "Yeah, but that was episode 114. Get it right."
EBR: "I know, that's why I'm saying, 'probably' then."
Mod: "You've sparked a debate up here."

Felicity was not even in episode 107 (one of six Season 1 episodes in which she did not appear)...

103 - Oliver meets Felicity when he needs IT help.
104 - Felicity helps Walter research something. (Diggle finds out Oliver is the Hood.)
105 - Felicity is not in episode. (Oliver asks Laurel to represent him after he's arrested for being the Hood. Oliver and Laurel kiss for the first time since his return.)
106 - Oliver seeks out Felicity's help again and Felicity quips that she should add "Personal Internet Researcher for Oliver Queen" to her job title.
107 - Felicity is not in episode. (Oliver goes on a date with Helena and they kiss. Tommy again asks Laurel for a date.)
108 - Felicity follows up with Walter on her research. (Oliver and Helena have dinner with Tommy and Laurel. Both couples argue afterwards.)
109 - Oliver seeks out Felicity's help again ("My buddy Steve is really into archery." "Felicity, you're remarkable." "Thank you for remarking on it.")
110 - Felicity is not in episode. (Tommy asks for a drawer in Laurel's apartment, but she says it's not a good time. Oliver and Laurel later talk about Tommy's drawer space request and Laurel says she's an "all or nothing type of girl.")

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

PHOTOS: Actor Stephen Amell Accompanies Cody Rhodes to the Ring at AEW Revolution
By Ryan Clark -March 1, 2020
https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/photos-actor-stephen-amell-accompanies-cody-rhodes-to-the-ring-at-aew-revolution 

Some of you may have noticed that Arrow star Stephen Amell appeared at Saturday night’s AEW Revolution pay-per-view event. Amell was part of Cody Rhodes’ entourage for his match against MJF. For those who didn’t see it, Cody’s entrance theme song was played live by the band Downstait.

You can check out some photos of Amell at the event below:

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 2:42 PM, tv echo said:

Felicity was not even in episode 107 (one of six Season 1 episodes in which she did not appear)...

I vaguely recall SA previously saying it was ep 207 (the "there was no choice to make" ep with the Count), so I wonder if he just mixed them up?

Also, Charlie Barnett just landed an NBC pilot, so I don't know what that means for his role in the potential spinoff, which MG says we won't hear about until upfronts:

Edited by Trisha
11 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Also, Charlie Barnett just landed an NBC pilot, so I don't know what that means for his role in the potential spinoff, which MG says we won't hear about until upfronts:

Lol I think it shows what he and his management team think about his role in a potential spinoff

• Love 1

Hmm, it doesn't necessarily look like he thinks the show is getting picked up. OTOH he may not have ever signed a potential regular contract with the show because he was already better than a secondary character on the CW when they filmed it. Although it seemed like JJ would be a big part of it. If it does get picked up they could always recast if this other show also goes to series. There's also plenty of ways they could rework the story. 

I'm not getting huge amounts of enthusiasm about the possibility of a pick up from anywhere lately. But the rest of the CW pilots are/about to being shooting so we'll see. 

My guess is one of the following: 1) the shows do like The Originals and works with his schedule so that he can do both projects, 2) the contract he has with The CW stipulates that GAC gets priority among series pickups and he'd have to bow out of the other show (common in the industry), 3) JJ will not be a regular in the spinoff but is intended to be in a handful of episodes per season so scheduling should be fine, 4) he's the Obligatory First Season Death and this is how we find out about it, or 5) they simply recast.

• Useful 3
(edited)

Some Arrow-related comments during BR's March 5th panel at MEFCC...

Brandon Routh Superman Returns is in Dubai. Middle East Film & Comic Con Festival @dwtc_uae @dubai.
briadventurez   Mar. 5, 2020

-- On whether SA ever challenged him to the salmon ladder, BR: "He did challenge me. I did do the salmon ladder, uh, in an episode.* (Audience claps) Thanks. ... It's extremely tough. So here's the story about that. I had never done it before and I certainly wasn't training like crazy man like Stephen. So I wasn't in quite as good a shape as he was. And they - and they had written it in the script. So I was doing my best to train, but I didn't have a salmon ladder, so how do you train for that? And then the day before we were supposed to shoot it, I worked with the stunt team for, like, two and a half hours. And I did - I did it really well a couple times, like three - (Mimes going up the salmon ladder with his hand) 'ching, ching, ching' - um, but then my muscles would not respond to anything. I was burned out. I could not even - I could do nothing. So then we had to film it the next day and I could barely, barely do it. Um, it's - I"m not really proud of the finished product, but it looks okay. We made it work through movie magic. (Mod interjects, "So you just kinda wished that they had shot the rehearsal?") They should've shot the rehearsal. Exactly."

(* Ray Palmer did the salmon ladder, shirtless, in his office at Palmer Tech in episode 307 of Arrow. Felicity walked in while he was on the salmon ladder and said, "Oh, God. I have a type." Ray then asked her to go with him to a business dinner with the CEO of a Nevada mining company and also asked her to wear a blue couture dress that he had bought for her.)

-- On his favorite characters in the Arrowverse, BR: "Uh. Nate. Um, um. Nora. I love my Legends. Uh, I love working with Grant, uh, the Flash, Candice and all the Flash crew. That was the first crossover I really did, was going on, when Ray and Felicity went over to the Atom. So I'm fond of those guys 'cause they were - and - and Carlos - they were my first, kind of non - non Legends family other than Arrow, of course. Um, Emily - I mean, she was, you know, she's the best and, uh, I always cherished the opportunity to work with her."

-- On whether it was true that he originally tried out for the role of a character called Blue Beetle on Arrow but that they didn't have the rights to that character, BR: "I mean, there may be some truth to that in just that they wanted to bring on the Blue Beetle,  but they weren't, um - the rumor that I heard was - was that. But I didn't try out - there's only ever mentioned to me Ray Palmer, the Atom. It may have been that they wanted to bring Blue Beetle in and they couldn't, so then they went to Ray Palmer, the Atom. But that's - that's conjecture on my part."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Media recap of Full Celebrity Panel (including JDJ and BR) at MEFCC...

MEFCC 2020 celeb panel: Everything the stars said
Marwa Hamad   March 7, 2020
https://gulfnews.com/entertainment/hollywood/mefcc-2020-celeb-panel-everything-the-stars-said-1.70216560 

A month ago, when ‘Aladdin’ actor Mena Massoud and ‘Arrow’ actor Joseph David-Jones bumped into each other at a Los Angeles gym, they had no idea they would be sitting together on a panel in Dubai discussing diversity in filmmaking.

The two actors met again at the Middle East Film & Comic Con on March 6, joined on stage by ‘Lord of the Rings’ actor John Rhys-Davies, ‘Daredevil’ actress Elodie Yung and ‘Superman’ himself, Brandon Routh.
David-Jones emphasised the importance of having diverse writing rooms and directors.

“It comes down to the people who are telling the stories,” he said. “Because all of the people who have a voice in Hollywood are just writing the stories they know and they don’t know other cultures. So, we really need diverse writers and diverse directors and diverse storytellers all through the industry. When you see that, you will see more of us in leading roles.”
CELEB QUICK-FIRE: 3, 2, 1…

IF I WASN’T AN ACTOR, I’D BE…
Brandon Routh: ‘Writer.”

Joseph David-Jones: “Director.

A JOB I WOULDN’T WANT TO WORK IS…
Routh: “Doctor.”

David-Jones: “Politics.”

SOMETHING I RECENTLY ENJOYED WATCHING IS…
Routh: “‘Joker’. [It showed] how mean we can be to each other and how we can do better.”

David-Jones: “‘Parasite’. I was enthralled the whole time. I literally did not know where the story was going to go.”

IF I HAD A SUPERPOWER, IT WOULD BE…
Routh: “Flight. Travel the world, get everything from a bird’s-eye view and you see the whole perspective.”

David-Jones: “I spend so much time travelling. I would love to be able to teleport and just be somewhere. That way, I could be here every weekend and see everything in Dubai.” (Rhys-Davis jumps in to add: “You would travel at that [snaps fingers] speed, but then still be at the security line beforehand.” David-Jones laughs, conceding: “Still a coronavirus screening.”)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Nice sentiment, Beth. Too bad what we actually saw in 809 was E2 LL tearing Mia down and calling her a useless waste of space. It was as uplifting as the "hashtag feminism" Flash episode. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

When I saw the WB/Arrowverse accounts were celebrating IWD I knew this was going to be the pic Arrow used. I really don't understand why they turned E2 up to 11 when she's supposed to be a "hero" now and KC doesn't play layers. 

11 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It was as uplifting as the "hashtag feminism" Flash episode. 

I keep trying to forget that episode ever happened. Gah.

My first thought was about all the BTS drama with the spin off and the fact that to make BC happen other female characters had to die. But yeah, sure, solidarity. 🙄

• Love 3
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Was that Beth's quote from 718 or actually 809? Because if it was from 718 it at least (somewhat) makes more sense than 809 with BS's "sass" dialed to the max to "mean."

Maybe it was from 7x18, because there was a lot of working together there. Laurel working with her little felon friend as an accessory to her murders during their crime spree. Felicity, Sara and Dinah working together to try and stop the two of them (and Laurel attempting to bomb them but just to get their attention because she didn't *really* want to kill them!), then Dinah and Laurel working together to hide said murder accessory/bombing antics by passing her involvement off as undercover work for an investigation she was doing as the DA. 

Go team!

• LOL 4
29 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Maybe it was from 7x18, because there was a lot of working together there. Laurel working with her little felon friend as an accessory to her murders during their crime spree. Felicity, Sara and Dinah working together to try and stop the two of them (and Laurel attempting to bomb them but just to get their attention because she didn't *really* want to kill them!), then Dinah and Laurel working together to hide said murder accessory/bombing antics by passing her involvement off as undercover work for an investigation she was doing as the DA. 

Go team!

Lol, I did say (somewhat).

Notable comic cons coming up the rest of this month...

Planet Comicon, March 20-22, 2020 (Kansas City, MO)
Katie Cassidy, Caity Lotz (FRI/SAT), Brandon Routh (SAT/SUN), Courtney Ford (SAT/SUN), Jes Macallan, and Rachel Skarsten (SAT/SUN)
https://planetcomicon.com/guests/?cat=14
Schedule
-Sat. (3/21) at 12:00pm - Shethority with Caity Lotz, Jes Macallan, and Katie Cassidy
-Sun. (3/22) at 1:00pm - Legends of Tomorrow (Brandon Routh, Courtney Ford, Jes Macallan, Katie Cassidy)
-Sun. (3/22) at 3:30pm - Rachel Skarsten

STL Rebel Con (Spartacus Convention), March 21-22, 2020 (St. Louis, MO)
Katrina Law and Nick Tarabay (also Liam McIntyre)
https://www.stlrebelcon.com/artist-alley
Schedule
-Sat. (3/21) at 1:00pm - Panel: "A Rebel's Love" featuring Liam McIntyre & Katrina Law

Fan Expo Dallas, March 27-29, 2020 (TX)
Stephen Amell, Katherine McNamara, Ben Lewis, Caity Lotz, and Brandon Routh
https://www.fanexpodallas.com/en/guests/celebrities.html
Schedule
-Schedule will be released no later than 14 days before the event.

Dutch Comic Con-Spring Edition 2020, March 28-29, 2020 (Utrecht, Netherlands)
David Ramsey
https://www.dutchcomiccon.com/guests/
Schedule
-Stay tuned for schedule.

Edited by tv echo

All POSTPONED until later date...

Planet Comicon, originally scheduled for March 20-22, 2020, has been postponed until TBA
Katie Cassidy, Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Courtney Ford, Jes Macallan, and Rachel Skarsten
https://www.planetcomicon.com/postponement-announcement/

The Planet Comicon Kansas City team is continuing to work diligently and we will announce the dates of our rescheduled 2020 event no later than Tuesday, March 17. All previous purchases for PCKC 2020 will be honored and we will provide instructions on how to credit forward prior purchases to our rescheduled 2020 event or our April 2021 event. In addition, information on how to obtain a refund for purchasers who are unable to attend those events will also be provided at that time. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to work through the necessary steps to reschedule our 2020 show.

STL Rebel Con, originally scheduled for March 21-22, 2020, has been postponed until TBA
Katrina Law, Nick Tarabay, and Liam McIntyre
https://www.stlrebelcon.com/

3/13/2020 Due to the current situation with COVID-19. Our Event is currently Postponed. We will be updating all social Media and Information as it comes.

Fan Expo Dallas, originally scheduled for March 27-29, 2020, has been postponed until June 19-21, 2020
Stephen Amell, Katherine McNamara, Ben Lewis, Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, and Dean Cain
https://www.fanexpodallas.com/en/home.html

Due to developments related to COVID-19 and in compliance with recommendations from Dallas County, FAN EXPO Dallas will be postponed until June 19-21, 2020.

We are dedicated to delivering the ultimate fan experience and we thank everyone who helped to make this alternative possible. We recognize the disruption and strain this will cause to some and appreciate your understanding. Our thoughts are with the entire Dallas community as we all navigate this unprecedented challenge.

Dutch Comic Con-Spring Edition 2020, originally scheduled for March 28-29, 2020, has been postponed until July 4-5, 2020
David Ramsey
https://www.dutchcomiccon.com/2020/03/12/heroes-dutch-comic-con-2020-moves-10th-edition-due-to-covid-19-virus/

We deeply regret to inform you that we have to postpone the anniversary edition of Heroes Dutch Comic Con to 4 and 5 July 2020 due to the COVID-19 virus. The Government announcement on the 12th of March 2020 that all events with more than 100 visitors are banned.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Is he isolating and bored? I guess production on his new show has been postponed a bit. Could be interesting, although I feel like he might need some alcoholic lubrication to spill anything particularly juicy or be on a podcast with a friend ala AT and MR. We'll see what happens.

Apparently he’s bringing MR on for tomorrow’s 11am chat, and they’re doing a wine party at night. Today he did have a small blunt moment when someone asked him is he’d do a guest appearance in the Arrowverse ever and he quickly said  “No. I’m done.”

Also:

Edited by Trisha
On 3/16/2020 at 8:40 PM, Featherhat said:

Is he isolating and bored? I guess production on his new show has been postponed a bit. Could be interesting, although I feel like he might need some alcoholic lubrication to spill anything particularly juicy or be on a podcast with a friend ala AT and MR. We'll see what happens.

He's probably missing the attention

• Love 2