Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Final shot of the series...

I wish MG would post the script page(s) for the final 810 Olicity scene. Can anyone here with a twitter account please ask him? (And, maybe, also ask him to post the audition videos for SA, DR and EBR!)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Full KM podcast interview - it's long but good (a lot about her background, career start, the industry, personal stuff, Shadowhunters, and Arrow) - I only transcribed Arrow-related comments...

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-inside-the-crazy-ant-farm-46372363/

-- On auditioning for Arrow, KM: "So, it was very interesting, because I had just found out that Shadowhunters had been cancelled. So I was sort of in the mourning process for that, as well as having fun auditioning again. And Arrow was maybe my second audition back from, uh, you know, not being able to audition for anything really... And so I was just getting into it and starting to have fun, really diving into things, and I get this audition. And David Rapaport, who's the casting director, I've known him for a long time, he's really incredible. I sent it over and they're like, 'look, we've been looking for this character for a while, she's this, you know, badass rookie cop who has a dark past, but really has a lot of spunk and attitude, and we really think, you know, we want to find somebody really special, because she's going to have an arc on the show and maybe, you know, have a future there.' I said, 'okay, great, well, I've been playing a superhero, now let me go into the world of Arrow and play a cop.' It's very different and interesting. So I go in and I read the scenes with Beth and some of the showrunners. And, you know, we're sitting there and we have a lovely little conversation. Um, I was sick as well, because I'd just come back from a comic con in Australia and had lost my voice... So I had no voice really and I was trying to do this audition and, you know, we played with the scenes and had a lot of fun. And then I leave. And then a couple weeks later, I find that I'm cast in it and I've gotten the part. Like, great, awesome, rookie cop, let me start doing research about, you know, the training that cops go through and the kind of education they have and just so I know the mindset and the purview and, you know, talking to my uncle, who's a state trooper, and trying to, like, get all of this information. Then I get a call from Beth Schwartz... She calls and she goes, 'hey, Kat, so nice to meet you, congratulations, we're so happy to have you on the show, by the way, everything you know is a lie, she's not Jessie (or whatever it was), she's not a rookie cop, we don't really know what her name's going to be yet, we don't know a lot about her, but we just wanted to let you know that you're Oliver and Felicity's kid.' (Laughs) I'm going, 'wait, hold on, I'm what now?' ... (Interviewer interjects that SA and EBR "have spent so much time building these characters and they're so beloved"...) ... Exactly." 
Interviewer: "I have to say, great casting. Because if Emily and Stephen were to have a kid, you would be it. I mean, the casting was brilliant.
KM: "It's very eerie. And yes, you're exactly right. Because, you know, once twitter got a hold of it and once they started to figure it out, there were all these fan edits that come out of me edited between Stephen and Emily. Or pictures of photoshoots that Emily and I had done that are somewhat similar. Emily and I used to talk about it all the time, how eerie it is, how much we look alike, and how much I look like, you know, a combination of the two of them... You know, I take it as a compliment, because they're both extremely attractive individuals. But, you know, going back to finding out the news, I, uh - for Shadowhunters, we had Malec, which was our, you know, Magnus and Alex in a - Harry Shum, Jr., and Matt Didario had this couple on the show that ran like wildfire. But Olicity was always in that same realm when - when anybody was talking about fandom ships, as the kids say... And so I knew how beloved Olicity was. And I knew sort of the work that Stephen and Emily had put in and the love that it had been, creating that relationship and those characters. So immediately I said, alright, well, I'm watching at the time six seasons of Arrow, just so I can glean whatever I can of mannerisms and character qualities and what their relationship really was, and sort of the intricacies of what their child could be. And, uh, that was pretty much the education that I needed, 'cause it gave me so much. I mean, there's so much in those characters to kind of mine. And then with the backstory the showrunners gave me, and the welcome that Stephen and Emily gave me when I got to set, it really was a dream of a process."

-- On coming onto a show like Arrow that's so well-established and has such a fandom, KM: "It sort of feels like the transfer student coming into the senior year of high school. You know, everybody's so - the family's so established and everybody gets along so well, and there's already a system and people, you know, are so used to working with each other. You really don't know what you're stepping into. And I remember I was on set for certain fittings and a hair and makeup meeting, and I stepped into the trailer - the hair and makeup trailer - and Stephen was in there. And I don't know how much you guys have seen of Arrow, but there's an episode in the prison in Season 7 that it's entirely a fight scene. And Stephen just gets beat up the entire episode. And, um, he equally kicks butt back. But, as is the case with Arrow, the hero gets hit in the face as much as they hit other people in the face... But I walked into the trailer and Stephen was there getting more blood put on his face for something or other. And, you know, he was clearly exhausted and had been at it all day. As soon as he saw me, he immediately jumped out of the chair, ran over, gave me a huge hug, and goes, 'I'm your dad!' He took me around set and introduced me to everyone and instantly made me feel as though I belonged there. And that was the best way to kind of start my journey with Arrow."

-- They then talked about the entire Arrowverse being built on SA's shoulders. They also talked about KM's character being in the big COIE crossover. KM said that she found out she was in the crossover when she was approached for a fitting at the leather shop. She though she was getting a new jacket, but then she was told that she was being made a suit "to be revealed in the Supergirl part of the crossover." So she found out that she was in the crossover and that she was getting a superhero suit at the same time. KM said that she was so "grateful" to be in the crossover and to have so much to do in it. She revealed that her first day in her superhero suit was the day they shot Oliver's death scene: "Oh, dang it, I have to cry." 

-- On the reset after Crisis where the backstory for her character completely changes, KM: 'It was really interesting because we had spent so much time taking Mia from this really closed-off, unemotional fighter and building her as a human being... And she had such hangups with the abandonment and the resentment she had toward her father that she had to work through, and the relationship with her brother that she got to build. And everything that happened, like getting established with Barry and Sara Lance and all these characters that she got to form bonds with, and then to strip all that away, it gave me a moment of pause, because I had to go, well, wait a minute, we spent two years building this character, let's not - you know we can't just take her away... In talking with the showrunners and the writers of the show, we really collaborated and found a way to find the Mia in the new Mia. Because she's still ultimately the - yes, even though she was raised in a world where she is a socialite and she has had every privilege and a happy childhood with her brother and her mother, and really has not known any sorrow or loss or hardship in her life, she wasn't a fighter, she was still raised by Felicity. She's still the same cunning, smart, cutting girl we know and love. She's just a little lost. She hasn't found her passion. She hasn't found the thing that lights the fire in her soul yet. And she just is kind of floating and trying to figure out how to live in the shadow of her father and how to live up to his legacy, and, you know, what on Earth can she do to do that."

-- On the backdoor pilot (809) for Green Arrow & the Canaries, KM: "We had Mia 1.0 and then we had Mia 2.0, which is post-Crisis Mia, and then we had Mia 3.0, which is this woman who has these two sets of memories, these two realities living in her head, both of which she's emotionally attached to... And then the fun of that is figuring out, okay, well, how does she then interact with the world around her? And which set of instincts is going to take over, depending on the situation?"
Interviewer commented on Mia's line about how a socialite can have a brain (referencing Harvard).
KM: "I do think it's something that's very important, because, you know, we have these stereotypes of the socialite character... And Mia doesn't fit into any stereotype, especially not at this point in her character development... The most fun of this is, Mia was very capable as a fighter and as a vigilante before. You know, she could pretty much punch her way out of anything. But she was a bit lacking when it dealt with social graces and personal relationships and maybe handling things with tact as opposed to violence. Um, now we have this woman who was raised in the world of tact and social graces. And she has a full toolbox of how to handle people and how to handle Star City and access to everything in that world. And so it really just expands Mia's purview and gives her more of an emotional maturity that matches her fighting skills. So it makes her even more adept at taking care of the city that she loves so much."
The interviewer is very enthused about the spinoff and really hopes it gets picked up to series.

Edited by tv echo
14 minutes ago, tv echo said:

was really interesting because we had spent so much time taking Mia from this really closed-off, unemotional fighter and building her as a human being... And she had such hangups with the abandonment and the resentment she had toward her father that she had to work through, and the relationship with her brother that she got to build. And everything that happened, like getting established with Barry and Sara Lance and all these characters that she got to form bonds with, and then to strip all that away, it gave me a moment of pause, because I had to go, well, wait a minute, we spent two years building this character, let's not - you know we can't just take her away... In talking with the showrunners and the writers of the show, we really collaborated and found a way to find the Mia in the new Mia. Because she's still ultimately the - yes, even though she was raised in a world where she is a socialite and she has had every privilege and a happy childhood with her brother and her mother, and really has not known any sorrow or loss or hardship in her life, she wasn't a fighter, she was still raised by Felicity. She's still the same cunning, smart, cutting girl we know and love. She's just a little lost. She hasn't found her passion. She hasn't found the thing that lights the fire in her soul yet. And she just is kind of floating and trying to figure out how to live in the shadow of her father and how to live up to his legacy, and, you know, what on Earth can she do to do that."

That makes me wonder if if it was originally going to be a complete reset of all of the characters but KM made them change it to include the memories angle to the plot or if she just meant her character's personality in 809 specifically

• Love 1

I wondered the same thing when I listened to this podcast. Having the dual, conflicting memories makes Mia (and JJ) more interesting characters and doesn't completely waste what we've watched for two seasons, so I'm glad that they went that way.

Also, KM's comments about how Mia 3.0 now has both the old Mia's fighting skills and the new Mia's social graces made me think that, intentionally or not, Mia is now even more like Oliver. When Oliver returned to Starling City, he still had all the memories and social training from growing up wealthy and privileged, but underneath he had to hide his new fighting skills and almost savage mindset. Now Mia 3.0 has the same dual personality.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I wondered the same thing when I listened to this podcast. Having the dual, conflicting memories makes Mia (and JJ) more interesting characters and doesn't completely waste what we've watched for two seasons, so I'm glad that they went that way.

Oh, for sure, me too. I would just laugh so hard if it wasn't the original intention, since it's one of the more interesting aspects of 809, but it would make KM's earlier comments before filming 809 about the spinoff (not knowing what's happening, nothing really set in stone yet, still figuring things out, wanting to collaborate with the writers on the story because she cares about Mia, etc.) make more sense

• Love 1

-- DR: "You know, me and Stephen always say that, thank God, she [Emily] came, because it was just two guys brooding in the basement for several episodes before she showed up. Uh, we were lucky to have her. And, um, again, the show kept on - kept on experiencing lightning in a bottle, um, over and over again and, uh, she was one of those experiences."

-- DR: "We finished a little bit before that [the final scene], but we - everyone stuck around. I mean, it's the last time, right? And everyone kind of wanted to see that scene, too. So it was, um - it was a beautiful moment, a beautiful scene. It was wrapped up appropriately, and, um, there were tears all around. This was a very moving experience for him [Stephen], for all of us, really. And, um - but Stephen's invested a lot. And they weren't tears, necessarily, of sadness at all times. All of us had a motley of feelings. And, um - so - this has been a great ride."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Here's MG's reply to fan question about whether "of possibility" (from last page of redacted 810 script that he previously posted) was dialogue...

Also, here's MG's reply to fan request to post script pages for final scene in 810...

However, see his previous tweets on this subject...

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

He's joking, of course, but it seems a bit insensitive...

Also, there's this - although he has been silent in the past (when certain fans sent death threats to EBR and other cast members)...

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

He's joking, of course, but it seems a bit insensitive...

Also, there's this - although he has been silent in the past (when certain fans sent death threats to EBR and other cast members)...

Yes. It's 100% wrong whenever it happens to any actor but lots of other actors on the shows he's in charge of, especially female ones including EBR have talked about receiving hate and threats and this is one of the only times he speaks out about it.

Re the ending  I do think they wanted it to work for as many people as possible but when you kill off the main character you have to be prepared for some upset fans so dial down the snark a bit. Not to mention there were other options than DRK or Endgame rip offs.

• Love 3

Podcast interview with Joe Dinicol - he talked about the Arrow series finale (recorded on Jan. 25, 2020, before the finale aired)...

-- JD said that he found out that he was returning to reprise Rory Regan AKA Ragman about two weeks before (end of October) he had to go shoot the series finale.

-- On whether Rory has a unique perspective on loss after Crisis, since he went through the experience of losing Havenrock, JD: "Yeah, I think that, uh, Rory always served as a grounding force for people dealing with tragedy. That's sort of the way I always looked at it, whether it be Felicity or Oliver. I think he was always sort of seen as someone who had gone through these very heavy ordeals already in his own life, and they could kinda rely on him to sort of even quietly understand what was going on. So it was nice to get to bring that to that final episode."

-- On how Rory will remember Oliver, JD did not want to spoil the finale, but he noted that there was always a "mutual respect" between Oliver and Rory, even from when they first met. So Rory returns to honor that kinship and what they had in common in the first place.

-- When asked if Rory will bring with him his famous schnapps, JD hinted that there would probably be some sort of toast in the finale.

-- JD said that the finale was "a great celebration of the show" and that people will be "very emotional" by the end of it.

-- On whether we might see him again in the Arrowverse, JD said that he would be "thrilled " and would welcome the opportunity to return on any of the shows.

-- When asked if he might return to Blindspot,

Spoiler

JD said that he was actually calling in to the podcast from Martin Gero's house (Gero is Blindspot's creator, writer and EP) and couldn't say anything, other than that Blindspot's series finale will also be "deeply satisfying."

-- On his favorite moment or favorite part of being on Arrow, JD: "I think that, like any job, you know, Arrow is a - was about the people. You know, I made a lot of great friends on that show. I was there - when I was there - first time I was there it was like six months. That's a long time to work on something... You know, when you do movies or episodic television, you're never really in one spot for a very long time. And so I made a lot of really great friends. Rick Gonzalez is - has become like a dear friend of mine. And Juliana Harkavy. And Emily - you know, there's a lot of very close friends on that show. And sort of, equally so, to be on a show that that many people watch. You know, people come up and tell me about their experience watching the show, what the character has maybe meant to them or what the show meant to them. And just to get to connect with people, you know, we don't - it's funny, a lot of people come up and say, 'I'm sorry, I don't want to - I know this is probably annoying.' And I always say, we don't do this stuff in a vacuum, we do it to be watched, that's the whole point. And so, when people come up and they're like, 'oh, I watched and it made me feel good,' or... 'it got me through some tough times,' ... I'm first and foremost a really big fan of things, TV shows and movies, and I have that same experience with TV shows that I like. Oh, I was going through something and I could always rely on coming home and watching an episode or a couple episodes and disappearing or escaping, or - or having my struggles reflected back to me in that piece of art and it helps me sort of wrap my brain around it. You know, I - I loathe to get too lofty about this stuff, but I do think that, uh, art is important and it - and it helps us deal with things. So that's also been really nice. So I - you know, again, it's just a long way of saying, just the people, the fans and the people on the show, it's been the gift that sort of keeps on giving. Even though I haven't been around for the most part for the last few years, it's, uh - it's something that people want to talk about and get excited about. It's really special."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

As part of my retrospective, here's EBR's comments about meeting SA for the first time, and their tweets on their first day of shooting 103...

-- From OTA panel at Heroes & Villains FanFest-Atlanta (Nov. 19, 2017):
On meeting SA for the first time, EBR: "It was August 8. I walked in. The lights were shining... We were like a block and a half away from my house, and I had to go like four blocks away to go for, you know, hair and makeup and whatnot. And I rolled up. And Stephen was in the - one of the rooms with like a bunch of his best buddies... and I like walked in... just sort of like, 'hi, I'm here for the day, um, you won't remember me'... And he was like so nice and charming, and I was like, 'stop talking, I just want to do my work,' because I was so nervous. (Laughs) I was so nervous and I like - and I was like ready to play, and you were just so kind. And you were like, 'sit, like, have a coffee' ... I can't eat, I can't drink, I just need to do my lines... I need to act, act, act, act. So I was just like tunnel vision. And then I walked out of there and I called Fanta, I called my best friend, and she was like, 'how was it?' And I was like, 'don't remember anything, don't remember anything that happened.' She was like, 'okay, do you want to go get a drink?' I was just like, 'yeah.' And then I never thought I'd be back. I honestly never thought I'd be back. I - like, I left that day and I called my team. I was like, 'yeah, it went really well, I'm going to go back to the dog shop and do a couple hours of work.' And then, um, yeah, I took the dog for a run, went for a drink with Fanta, and woke up a couple days later, and they asked me to come back for episodes... (SA holds up five fingers) 5? And I was like, oh no, I'm gonna have to quit my job. And then - and then my boss at the dog shop was like, 'you have to quit, I'm not going to fire you.' I tried to keep it for the whole first season. She was like, 'you have to quit, you don't show up here anyway, you have to quit.' So (to SA) thank you. It was really nice meeting you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxQ3SBJyL0

-- EBR tweet about her first day working on Arrow (Aug. 3, 2012):

Emily Bett Rickards @EmilyBett
First day on the set of #Arrow today? Dont mind if I do. #acting #DCcomics #super
9:43 AM - 3 Aug 2012

https://twitter.com/EmilyBett/status/231430109268168705
(link no longer active since EBR closed her twitter account)

-- SA tweet on EBR's first day of shooting Arrow, Episode 1x03 (Aug. 3, 2012), and EBR’s reply tweet (Aug. 4, 2012):
SAtweet_080312.jpg.4babc0486b4c62fdba5c71ae98ad10e1.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/30/2020 at 11:30 PM, lemotomato said:

Not sure where fan reaction videos should go, but someone compiled the reactions to the end of 810:

As a Man who shed some tears watching this Amazing Epic Couple reunite in the Afterlife. It warms my heart to see a bunch of other guys weeping in these reactions. I'll remember this seeing the occasional assbags on Social Media that screamed Death to Olicity, Olishitty, calling her Fefe and saying Garbage like no real man loved Olicity and the only fans were young women and so on. 

• Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, tv echo said:

But LMG is a man -- he has to take this one seriously.

Is there a Green Arrow post-credits scene in Birds of Prey? Answer...

Spoiler

Apparently there was a rumor going around that the new Birds of Prey movie (out this weekend) would have a post-credits scene with a new Green Arrow. But, according to Newsweek, there is no such scene. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

From the DC Daily Podcast - I didn't recall if this was previously posted...

Arrow's Katie Cassidy & Juliana Harkavy - DC Daily Interviews 1/28/20
Published January 28, 2020
https://podbay.fm/podcast/1495843637/e/1580198700

-- KC and JH talked a little about playing future (older) versions of their characters.

-- KC talked about her S2 hallway scene with SA (when Oliver tells Laurel that he's done chasing after her) and that during shooting of this scene, she got multiple text messages from JB, showing selfies of his bare ass in her trailer.  JH said that JB and EK were the two funniest cast members on set.

-- KC made the usual noises of gratitude about Arrow ending and also talked about directing/

-- JH mentioned feeling a lot of pressure when she first joined Arrow, that she didn't even know KC would be there and that KC is now her best friend. When JH actually met KC for the first time, she was terrified of KC, but KC turned out to be so nice to her. KC jokingly mentioned her "resting bitch face."

-- Some kudos to the Arrow stunt team.

-- KC said that she's still fight training.

-- On what attracted them to the possible Green Arrow and the Canaries spinoff, KC said that there's still a lot to learn about E2 Laurel's back story on Earth-2 and about what happened during the 20 years between 2020 and 2040. JH added that they have "the opportunity to do something new that hasn't been done before" and to continue "their journey." They also referred to it as a sort of "tribute" to Arrow. They both praised KM as the new Green Arrow and as a fellow cast member. JH mentioned an "energy" among the three of them.

Edited by tv echo

It’s not..terrible.  I actually like it better than the first one - I never was a fan of that costume.  Mostly because of the coat I think.  But I’m not a fan of the kinda sorta cape thing they’ve got going on.  I know Huntress in the comics has a cape, and they’re trying to work that in, but either do a cape or don’t do a cape.  The partial cape thing just looks weird, IMO.

I didn’t comment before, but I did like the new Black Canary 4.0 design, with the blue in it.  I wonder why they didn’t go with that? 

The shows don't really like to recast unless it was literally just a scene like Jacqueline McInnes Wood as Sara in the pilot. They didn't even recast Mari when they could have for LOT and really could have done with using the character in S3 and she was only featured once on a different show ,so I can see why they didn't with Helena who made quite a splash.  

The new costume's ok, I see what you mean about the mini cape thing, doesn't really work for me. 

The Spin off might be doing some reshoots or something so that could be why KC is in town. 

Edited by Featherhat
changed to season 3.
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Featherhat said:

The shows don't really like to recast unless it was literally just a scene like Jacqueline McInnes Wood as Sara in the pilot. They didn't even recast Mari when they could have for LOT and really could have done with using the character in S4 and was only featured on a different show so I can see why they didn't with Helena who made quite a splash.  

Yeah, and I kind of appreciate that. Recastings are weird imo. The only big one that comes to mind is when they got ED to play Kara's mom instead on Supergirl, and that took some getting used to.

6 hours ago, Featherhat said:

The Spin off might be doing some reshoots or something so that could be why KC is in town. 

Idk, since KM was/is in New York still with pink tinted hair, unless it's something way later in the week.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Yeah, and I kind of appreciate that. Recastings are weird imo. The only big one that comes to mind is when they got ED to play Kara's mom instead on Supergirl, and that took some getting used to.

I forgot about that one but they had a big Argo storyline and Laura Benanti wasn't available and she had more impact as Astra anyway. I know they were identical twins but still. 

With Helena it doesn't seem like they ever had a story they needed to tell with her that would make recasting worth it. They wanted JdG if she was available but made do with "Cousin Jerry" when she wasn't. 

17 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Idk, since KM was/is in New York still with pink tinted hair, unless it's something way later in the week.

I just saw that. Who knows? LOT has wrapped so it's not that, could be The Flash or maybe just hanging out with friends now she's single. These actors have pulled off some quick appearances all over before ending up in Vancouver though. We'll see. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I just saw that. Who knows? LOT has wrapped so it's not that, could be The Flash or maybe just hanging out with friends now she's single. These actors have pulled off some quick appearances all over before ending up in Vancouver though. We'll see. 

It was mostly Supergirl people at that party, so I'd think it would be either Supergirl if it's anything and not just hanging out (although why Supergirl idk. I think there's supposed to be a mini crossover with Supergirl and Batwoman some time in the later parts of their seasons, but there's been no update on that iirc)

^^^ Also from the above TV Guide video of JH and KC playing "Guess that Arrowverse Character" game...

JH: "She's the - the darling of our show. She is our - she is our queen."
KC: "Mia Queen - uh."
JH: "Oh, that's funny. It's not Mia Queen. What can I not say?"
KC: "Felicity?" 
JH: "Yes."
(I'm not sure, but it sounded like KC then said "f*ck" here.)
(Cut to 7x08 video clip of Felicity saying, "I am the wife of the freakin' Green Arrow.")

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 6