Type keyword(s) to search

Inside Out (Pixar 2015)

• Start Topic

I am amazed that there is no thread for this movie. It kicked butt at the box office over the weekend, so I thought there would be a thread and lots of posts. So, hopefully no one minds me starting one because I have to rave a bit. :)

I had only seen one or two trailers for this and while it seemed interesting, I wasn't all "oh my God, this is a must see!"

Still, we went this weekend and...oh my God, this is a must see! :)

Extremely creative, funny as hell, and so touching in lots of places. I laughed, I cried, I was in awe of the world-building.

Amy Poehler as Joy is perfect casting. Basically, they animated Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec. :) Visually she reminded me of Marge Simpson (yellow skin, blue hair, green dress). Lewis Black as Anger was also pretty damned perfect. And the actress who played Phyllis on the Office had the perfect voice to play Sadness. It bugged me the entire movie whose voice it was because I recognized it, but couldn't place it. A+ voice casting, folks.

As usual, Pixar provides a great movie for adults and kids alike. I would honestly watch this again.

• Love 5

Amazing film!  We took our boys for Father's Day, and they are still talking about it.  Lots of interesting discussions like what their core memories are, what emotion controls their panel, and what other emotions the movie could have considered adding (which has turned into comments like "No, embarrassment isn't a separate emotion; it's just fear and disgust mixed together!")  Husband and I want to see it again because we know we missed so much the first time around.  Enjoyable and thought-provoking.  We all loved it!

Disney and Pixar did it again. Wow.

(laugh) I was watching this and sometimes I was like.... Joy seems like such a cow to everyone else (Sadness), and then I realise, you know, maybe that's intentional. We all know that happy happy person, who seems to dismiss everything we feel or say because they are happy so why can't you be happy, and everything always so happy. And if you aren't happy all the time, you dismiss people who do feel sad, lonely, etc. So I thought personally, that was a really great touch. 

Did they explain (fully) why Sadness touching the core memory made it perma-sad? (and if it had been Anger or Disgust or Fear would it have been Perma-_______) I do think though they realised that every emotion does have a touch of Sadness to it, but there's always a happiness to it, right. 

Were the destruction of the Islands based on no Core Memories? Or is that a symbol of the fact that Riley was also growing up and there had to be new-redeveloping islands? 

this was cute though (v. sad at losing BingBong, just fading away like that...)

(edited)

The forgotten memories, with all the ones of little Toddler Riley, was a nice nod to the fact that you don't really keep your memories until you're at least 3.

Everyone got a serious laugh at the puberty button.

Were the destruction of the Islands based on no Core Memories? Or is that a symbol of the fact that Riley was also growing up and there had to be new-redeveloping islands?

I really liked the hints that Riley was leaving behind little girlhood- that her imaginary playland was being bulldozed over to get rebuilt, and of course the Imaginary Boyfriend.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I've seen a lot of conversations about how well this movie illustrates what depression actually is... and my brother-in-law, according to my sister, has been thinking about his life and 'core memories' after seeing this because his childhood was not the greatest. Since they're expecting in December I imagine that is also bringing those core memory thoughts to life.

I thought this was a brilliantly done movie. There's no bad guy... except for what's inside a person. I really liked how important it was that Sadness, the release of those feelings, turned out to be very important to Riley's mental well-being. Just as much as Joy was.

I totally cried during the movie (I also cried during the short. I was very emotional on Friday for some reason.) I moved around a lot as a kid. By the time I was eleven I had already moved five times. That was just our life and for the first couple of moves, I was too young to really have established friendships and such. By the time I was old enough to start making friends at school and spending time with them it was just a fact of life that we'd be moving in a couple of years. It was always hard to leave a place that we loved but we also knew that there would be a new place and new friends... but I think the way they handled it all was very real and relatable.

I loved Bing Bong the imaginary friend, the commercial jingle that kept popping up, abstract thought, the subconscious, the Imaginary Boyfriend who lives in Canada...

And, holy crap, the end credits going into the minds of everyone was great. The cat was hilarious! The Joy!Cat rubbing up against everyone... the Anger!Cat hissing... the Disgust!Cat hacking up a hairball and Fear!Cat walking across the controls like anyone who owns a cat and has been on the computer with them in the room recognizes and having it just randomly step on things so the cat freaks out for no reason. That got a HUGE laugh from the theater.

• Love 8

Just got back from it. Another Disney/Pixar winner! I liked all the emotions, even though Sadness did get a little wearing at first. Bill Hader as Fear was my favorite: the scene with him watching the dreams was hilarious. And Lewis Black as Anger was just gold.

In response to Joy looking like Marge Simpson, I thought she looked more like Tinker Bell. Plus Joy didn't annoy me as much as Marge does...

Anyway, the end credits scenes was indeed the best part, as was the dinner scene. So *that's* why we get into so many fight at the dinner table, LOL.

But omg, Bing Bong. Congratulations Pixar! First you make us feel bad about throwing away our toys, now you make us feel guilty about outgrowing imaginary friends!!!

• Love 3

I had been looking forward to this movie for a long time. I have three kids, one who struggles with anxiety and one on the autism spectrum who can't always manage his feelings in appropriate ways. This movie gives parents, therapists, teachers, and caregivers a way to talk to children about their emotions and kids words to use for what is going on inside. I really liked that Sadness was a valid emotion and it wasn't all push Sadness away and just be happy. The funny touches were good and kept it from getting too heavy, like the Imaginary Boyfriend, the gum commercial, the dreams. All in all, great movie!

• Love 5

I thought the movie was going to be a lot sadder than it actually was. But overall, I'm very pleased with this pretty original, non-sequel Pixar movie. It was all pretty well done.

I was initially wary of the Lava short, mostly because of the dialogue and singing. But by the end, it was enjoyable. Also, that song has been stuck in my head for days!!

I absolutely loved that Sadness is a valid emotion, and that it's a part of who we are. All our memories can't be full of Joy. I like that how as a child, her memory globes were pretty simplistic. At the end of the movie, you can see that her memory globes are no longer one singular color, but many. That was a nice touch. I also like the credits where you could see the emotions of many of the side characters including the pre-teen boy (which was hilarious)!

Congratulations Pixar! First you make us feel bad about throwing away our toys, now you make us feel guilty about outgrowing imaginary friends!!!

Yeah, I don't even remember if I had any imaginary friends. Most of my memories as a young child are pretty much gone too (with the exception of a few stories my parents like to tell me).

• Love 1
Yeah, I don't even remember if I had any imaginary friends.

I had no imagination as a kid. Plus I had tons of siblings and cousins around. I think imaginary friends are par for the course for only children. (But what do I know?)

I loved this movie so much. Saw it Tuesday at an early screening, and then again on Friday. I really like how it breaks down something so complicated into characters that we can understand. Also, Mindy Kaling as Disgust was sublime.

The Lava short had me crying, and I pretty much never stopped for the next hour or two. I felt just like Riley when I was going through my parents' divorce. Especially the part where I got numb. Then came puberty.

I hope the (possible) sequel shows us the mind of a child of color, maybe a boy. Just to switch it up. There aren't any rumors of a sequel yet, I just know how Pixar rolls.

I saw the movie last night and loved it. One of my favorite things about Pixar is that I can never tell exactly where they're going with the story, or more specifically, how they are going to get out of the mess they're in. And they always do it amazingly well.

I always love Bill Hader, and thought he was great in this too. Booing at the dream directors to pick a plotline cracked me up, partly because the way he did it was funny, but also because that's how I often feel about my own dreams.

I think I'm going to have to see it again. I'm sure there are nuances I missed. They hit it out of the park again. Bravo, Pixar!

• Love 1

I enjoyed this but I think I had built up too much anticipation due to my kids excitement & I suppose it couldn't live up to that. The kids loved it. I liked it.

Joy annoyed me enough by about halfway through that I was ready to speed things along. I also found my mind wandering to what other emotions would be subcategorized under the five represented in the movie.

For example: is envy under anger because you're angry you're don't have something that you wish you had or is it under sadness because you're sad that you're missing something you wish you had. Yes, I know it go either way, but I got distracted thinking about it. Love can be joyful, but it's not always & sometimes it encompasses each emotion. So is love an emotion of its own? And what about acceptance? The fact that my mind was wandering that much made me realize that I had checked out of the movie to a large degree. I think my favorite part was the end credits.

I enjoyed this but I think I had built up too much anticipation due to my kids excitement & I suppose it couldn't live up to that. The kids loved it. I liked it.

I'm completely with you here I think I expected something so amazing that I set myself up for some disappointment. Yes it was a wonderful movie and I loved it but it was no where near what I had built up in my mind. 

My daugther is 7 and loves hockey so she was in awe the entire movie. I asked her after if she has a "Hockey Island" in her head and she said she thinks she definitely does, which was really cute. My 4 year old I think was more mesmorized by all the bright colors, I don't think he really understood the movie but he seemed to enjoy it either way. 

A couple of my favorite parts: "The subconscious, its where they put the trouble-makers," and the boys control center going crazy when he bumps into Riley. 

I'm probably a terrible person but I have to say that I was getting really annoyed with Sadness throughout the whole movie. Yeah yeah, I get the whole idea that sadness sometimes comes with happiness and that it is a healthy thing. But when Sadness kept touching those already happy memories and turning them sad, I think I was right there with Joy in trying to find a way to get rid of her. I think I idenified greatly with Joy as a parent with three children, you wan't them to be so many things but right up there at number one is happy and sometimes there are so many outside things that can get in the way of that. It's a full time job....I only wish I could always approach it with the positivity and cheerfulness that Joy did. I'm more of an Anger, even on my good days :) The beginning was so on point as well, with Joy being there all alone. I remember when all of my kids were born I always thought "thank goodness they are such happy babies," and then there came Sadness to change all that, haha. Either these Pixar movies sure hit close to home sometimes or I need to get out more. 

• Love 2

The cat was hilarious! The Joy!Cat rubbing up against everyone... the Anger!Cat hissing... the Disgust!Cat hacking up a hairball and Fear!Cat walking across the controls like anyone who owns a cat and has been on the computer with them in the room recognizes and having it just randomly step on things so the cat freaks out for no reason.

I would watch a whole movie about the cat emotions....it was so awesome.  I have four of my own and they all seemed to match up here.

What was the part that everyone teared up at the most?  I teared up at BingBong's final realization that he and what he stood for didn't exist nor to be needed anymore.  His sacrifice to save Riley via Joy's journey was so much that i'm tearing up again right now.  I went into this movie knowing about the character and how he was shrouded in mystery/downplayed that I thought he would end up being the villain, but he wasn't at all.  

Did they explain (fully) why Sadness touching the core memory made it perma-sad? (and if it had been Anger or Disgust or Fear would it have been Perma-_______) I do think though they realised that every emotion does have a touch of Sadness to it, but there's always a happiness to it, right.

Was it that the core memory was actually a sad memory, but w/ some joy to it at the end?  The way they could keep rewinding or fast forwarding makes me think that the major percentage of that memory was a sad one, losing the hockey game, but the friends and family showed up at the end thereby making the final of the memory joy.

Great movie, and for the love of goodness Pixar/Disney, no sequel unless it's about the cats!

• Love 1
(edited)

I just saw this today and loved it!! I cried but not as much or as hard as I thought I would. I mostly just had a grin on my face the whole time. One of my favorite parts were the emotions of the mom and dad at the dinner table. "Oh she's giving us that look, what does it mean?!" and the SF stuff. The broccoli pizza singing "Eat us we're organic" cracked me up.

I took my 5 year old son who enjoyed it, but most stuff went over his head, Minions being much more up his alley. But he still caught on to some stuff. As mentioned, the fact that sadness is a necessary part of life is a great lesson. Recently, a life-long friend of mine passed away after an extended illness and I struggled with how much of my sadness it was ok to let my son see. In the end, he saw a lot of it. I cried and he cried because I cried, and I told him that it was ok and even natural to be sad. Just like it is ok to be scared and angry sometimes. And he totally got that part, at least on a basic level. This movie was so imaginative and thoughtful and there are just so many levels to it.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1

One thing I noticed was how the Mom's Sadness emotion seemed to be in charge of the other emotions.  Does each person have a main emotion that is the default leader, such as Mom's is sadness, Riley's is joy, and the Dad's was anger ( I can't remember if his anger emotion was the leader ).  It made me wonder if for Riley, Sadness would eventually take control of the other emotions.  It seemed like Joy came to that realization that perhaps she wasn't the default emotion anymore.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was wondering if we have a default emotion, or if it changes. Dad's main emotion was anger, but it made sense as he was dealing with a new venture, difficult investors, and a lost moving truck. They could have picked fear for him as well. Mom's sadness also made sense as she was leaving a place they loved. So were those their permanent main emotions, or just the ones for this situation?

I loved how we parents can inadvertently cause the problems by praising our children for being flexible and happy. That scene when Mom was telling Riley how they had to be happy so Dad would be okay was powerful to me. We always tell our children they will never get in trouble or be told they are wrong for feeling the way they feel, but I find myself wondering if I live up to that. Great film!

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 4

Anyway, the end credits scenes was indeed the best part, as was the dinner scene. So *that's* why we get into so many fight at the dinner table, LOL.

But omg, Bing Bong. Congratulations Pixar! First you make us feel bad about throwing away our toys, now you make us feel guilty about outgrowing imaginary friends!!!

The cat and dog inner emotions were great. The emotion cat batting around the controls causing the actual cat to freak out was hysterical.

Man, I bawled over Bing Bong. I was horrified that the pit was full of memories that you lost and could never get back. Since Joy got out, I hoped, right to the last second of the credits, that we'd get a shot of him being rescued, but instead I have to accept that he just...faded away into nothingness. And my God, that hurt my heart.

I found it interesting that Riley had male and female representations of emotions, yet the mother and father had same-sex emotions. Is Pixar implying that, as one's identity solidifies, one gender will become the dominant one? Will Anger and Fear suddenly turn female? Or Sadness, Joy and Disgust become male? ;)

Regardless, the parents' emotion panels were hilarious. The mother's were lined up as if there were on The View or something and they all fawned over memories of the Brazilian tour guide from years ago (or something along those lines), while the father's emotions had sports on 24/7 with a tiny window off to the side for what was happening right in front of him. A little stereotypical, but amusing nevertheless.

I also appreciated the message that Sadness is an equally valid and important emotion. Trying to bury it or hide it or make it go away isn't good for your mental health.

I was also glad that the movie shows that the family stuck it out in San Francisco and everything worked out. I would have been really upset if they'd moved back to their original place (which is what I thought was going to happen when the dad agreed that he missed where they used to live too). That would have been a very dangerous message to send to kids!!
  • Love 7
(edited)

Yay! Pixar is back (didn't really care about their last few movies).

I loved it. Let's talk about production imagination: the worlds and their meanings were stellar and so unique.

First I though I have a heart of stone, because volcano mini cartoon annoyed the ef out of me. But then the main movie started: I laughed, I cried, I went back to my childhood memories with some happy/sad nostalgia. I was relieved to find my heart still where it's supposed to be lol

I like how Sadness was the only one who could change emotions. It's kinda like subconsciously you would be fighting with yourself. Yes those memories were happy, but now everything is changed, you have to work through it: cry, throw a fit, whatever works. Maybe if a change was different the other emotion would have taken reigns.

I hope the (possible) sequel shows us the mind of a child of color, maybe a boy. Just to switch it up. There aren't any rumors of a sequel yet, I just know how Pixar rolls.

I think "what is poo-berty" was hinting at the sequel theme. And how can you pass up that kind of diamond mine: brain of an effin teenager! (remember boy's brain when he saw Riley? LMAO! more of that please!!!) Can't wait! It will be fun, has potential to be even better than this one, which is rare. Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2

I'm probably a terrible person but I have to say that I was getting really annoyed with Sadness throughout the whole movie. Yeah yeah, I get the whole idea that sadness sometimes comes with happiness and that it is a healthy thing. But when Sadness kept touching those already happy memories and turning them sad, I think I was right there with Joy in trying to find a way to get rid of her.

The way I interpreted it was that Sadness changing the memories was a new thing. Everyone was surprised the first time it happened and even Sadness was surprised. And the reason it was a new thing, and that Sadness seemed to have a compulsion to touch the memories and the controls was because of the move. Riley's 11 and she had lived in one place all of her life before the move... so now all of the memories she has of growing up, playing hockey, playing with her friend are tinged with Sadness because that's not her life anymore.

Joy wanted to keep things upbeat but Sadness was the feeling that Riley was experiencing more than all the others and that's why Sadness seemed to develop so much more power over the memories and such.

• Love 8

I found it interesting that Riley had male and female representations of emotions, yet the mother and father had same-sex emotions. Is Pixar implying that, as one's identity solidifies, one gender will become the dominant one? Will Anger and Fear suddenly turn female? Or Sadness, Joy and Disgust become male? ;)

I noticed that as well and wondered if there was an explanation.  Maybe once Riley hits puberty they become gender assigned.

I thought the movie was going to be a lot sadder than it actually was. But overall, I'm very pleased with this pretty original, non-sequel Pixar movie. It was all pretty well done.

I was initially wary of the Lava short, mostly because of the dialogue and singing. But by the end, it was enjoyable. Also, that song has been stuck in my head for days!!

I absolutely loved that Sadness is a valid emotion, and that it's a part of who we are. All our memories can't be full of Joy. I like that how as a child, her memory globes were pretty simplistic. At the end of the movie, you can see that her memory globes are no longer one singular color, but many. That was a nice touch. I also like the credits where you could see the emotions of many of the side characters including the pre-teen boy (which was hilarious)!

Yeah, I don't even remember if I had any imaginary friends. Most of my memories as a young child are pretty much gone too (with the exception of a few stories my parents like to tell me).

Not only was sadness a vlid emotion but a very necessary one. I think it can be argued if Sadness had been allowed to be shown earlier the situation would have resolved itself much quicker

My only complaint was how quickly her "pillars" and towns came down. I know it mainly artistic license necesary for the story. Losing those made it harder for Joy and sadness to get back to the headquarters. But still, a few things happen and they all come tumbling down in a matter of days seems way too quick.

But still, a few things happen and they all come tumbling down in a matter of days seems way too quick.

I actually bought that. At that age, even minor issues seem like the end of the world.

• Love 1

Just the opening shots over the water were gorgeous! I found myself thinking about how much work that must have been (something that never crossed my mind as a kid when I watched animated movies).

The main thing I liked about this movie was that it gave a visual representation of what goes on in our brains. Seeing the different balls of emotion/memory build up for the day and then get sent to long term memory was a nice way to show what happens, as was the squad of janitors who sucked the unused memories out of the long term memory lineup. I loved when they said Riley didn't need to remember all the names of the sparkle princesses and Joy said that it was totally necessary information.

But what I really like is how the movie has created a way for people to talk about their memories and emotions, whether it's with their kids or just some of the questions posed here. I usually don't expect that kind of reaction from a kids' movie.

There were some people in the theater who laughed at the way Sadness acted, which I can understand (lying on the floor, putting your foot up in the air, and saying you're ready to go is funny even if the reason behind it isn't), but as someone who has felt depression I found myself wishing that more people in the audience could sympathize with Sadness and the way she was acting. As annoying as it was for her to keep turning so many of Riley's memories blue and then apologizing because she didn't know why she kept touching them was very realistic to me. When you are depressed, you sometimes make the wrong decisions repeatedly and not because you want to.

I liked that Anger was described as wanting things to be fair so that it was clear he wasn't just losing his temper for no reason. Not getting dessert is not fair! But I also liked that the other emotions were sometimes shown trying to prevent Anger or Sadness from taking over. That's sometimes how it feels - you know you are about to react in a way that you don't want to but you can't quite control it (whether it's bursting into tears from Sadness or yelling at someone because of Anger).

One minor nitpick was that Riley was shown leaving for school the morning she planned to run away, but she didn't get to the bus station until after school (when her parents realized she was missing). Is the bus station really an eight hour walk away?

I noticed that on The Mindy Project, Mindy Kaling sometimes speaks really quickly which can make it difficult to understand everything she's saying so I'm glad that she slowed down her usual tempo and everything she said was easy to understand. The casting for all the leads was really great, but the female emotions especially.

Ha, I loved when Riley ran into that boy at her hockey game and we saw huge red signs flashing, "GIRL! GIRL!" Ha! It's funny because it's true.

• Love 4

Just the opening shots over the water were gorgeous! I found myself thinking about how much work that must have been (something that never crossed my mind as a kid when I watched

animated movies)

The main thing I liked about this movie was that it gave a visual representation of what goes on in our brains. Seeing the different balls of emotion/memory build up for the day and then get sent to long term memory was a nice way to

show what happens, as was the squad of

janitors who sucked the unused memories out of

the long term memory lineup. I loved when they

said Riley didn't need to remember all the

names of the sparkle princesses and Joy said

that it was totally necessary information.

But what I really like is how the movie has created a way for people to talk about their memories and emotions, whether it's with their kids or just some of the questions posed here. I usually don't expect that kind of reaction from a

kids' movie.

There were some people in the theater who laughed at the way Sadness acted, which I can understand (lying on the floor, putting your foot up in the air, and saying you're ready to go is funny even if the reason behind it isn't), but as

someone who has felt depression I found myself

wishing that more people in the audience could

sympathize with Sadness and the way she was

acting. As annoying as it was for her to keep

turning so many of Riley's memories blue and

then apologizing because she didn't know why

she kept touching them was very realistic to me.

When you are depressed, you sometimes make

the wrong decisions repeatedly and not because

you want to.

I liked that Anger was described as wanting things to be fair so that it was clear he wasn't just losing his temper for no reason. Not getting dessert is not fair! But I also liked that the other emotions were sometimes shown trying to

prevent Anger or Sadness from taking over.

That's sometimes how it feels - you know you

are about to react in a way that you don't want

to but you can't quite control it (whether it's

bursting into tears from Sadness or yelling at

someone because of Anger).

One minor nitpick was that Riley was shown leaving for school the morning she planned to run away, but she didn't get to the bus station until after school (when her parents realized she

was missing). Is the bus station really an eight

hour walk away?

I noticed that on The Mindy Project, Mindy Kaling sometimes speaks really quickly which can make it difficult to understand everything she's saying so I'm glad that she slowed down her usual tempo and everything she said was

easy to understand. The casting for all the leads

was really great, but the female emotions

especially.

Ha, I loved when Riley ran into that boy at her hockey game and we saw huge red signs flashing, "GIRL! GIRL!" Ha! It's funny because it's true.

I dealt with Depression for YEARS, and I still found Sadness funny. It's completely possible to sympathize/empathize with her and still laugh at the things she did and said.

• Love 1

I loved the sequence when they take Bing Bong's first "short cut" and the cleaning crew shuts the door.  It was a near perfect film progression of figures in modern art.  First, it was their full forms then onto the various stages of cubism.  The fluid figures of surrealism are next with near complete abstraction after that.  They escape the room as Suprematist or minimalist shapes, although I saw them more as Suprematist figures, especially as they were arranged on screen. 

• Love 2

I loved this movie.  My 3rd grade daughter had to smack me a couple times for laughing too loudly. Fortunately she wasn't looking at me when the tears were in my eyes, or she probably would have smacked me for that as well.

My favorite joke was how happy the long term memory guys were when they were looking at the gum commercial memory. "Not this baby! It's never going away!"  The timing was impeccable. Just as we were learning about precious memories getting dumped and fading away, they show the glowing memory that is never going away. They fire it up the tube and that's when we see that the memory never leaving is a gum commercial. SO funny.

I also adored the way that after we got the really sweet resolution to the plot, that we spent a bunch of time in the control rooms of other people.  Between "GIRL. GIRL.GIRL." and the five dogs all being of the exact same mind "Food?!", it was just a wonderful way to bring some great laughs and good feelings to end it.

• Love 2

That lava song has turned into my own personal Triple Dent Gum memory. I have had it stuck in my head for 2 weeks now. 

"I have a dream, I hope will come true. You're here with me, and I'm here with you... Send me someone to Lava."

• Love 3

One thing I noticed was how the Mom's Sadness emotion seemed to be in charge of the other emotions.  Does each person have a main emotion that is the default leader, such as Mom's is sadness, Riley's is joy, and the Dad's was anger ( I can't remember if his anger emotion was the leader ).  It made me wonder if for Riley, Sadness would eventually take control of the other emotions.  It seemed like Joy came to that realization that perhaps she wasn't the default emotion anymore.

I first noticed that Sadness seemed to be in charge with Mom, but eventually I decided that she was simply a center part of the fully functioning team. Sadness can't be stuck in a circle to the side. Once she took her role, everybody else worked better.

So I thought it was important to show that Sadness sat right in the middle for the functioning adult, not because Mom was sad first, but because sadness needed to be show as integral.

• Love 1

The best theory is that Mom's sadness was front and center because she was sad at that point in her life, while Dad's main emotion at that time was anger because of his stress in dealing with the new job. I think with Riley, she needed for Sad to take over so she could process the move, but Joy wouldn't have any of that.

• Love 4

That lava song has turned into my own personal Triple Dent Gum memory. I have had it stuck in my head for 2 weeks now. 

"I have a dream, I hope will come true. You're here with me, and I'm here with you... Send me someone to Lava."

The Lava short was awesome. Really sweet and beautifully animated.

• Love 2

My sister who is not an overly emotional person, sobbed during the Lava short and when Bing Bong said "Take her to the moon for me..." I was right there with her. I really loved Riley's emotions being so young and vulnerable (much like any 11 yr old who has to move and lose so much in the process) compared to her Mother's and the difference between Joy (in Riley) and Sadness (in Mom) being  in charge.
I really got the biggest laugh from the "Girl, Girl!!" and seeing Fear rock back and forth was icing on the cake.

• Love 1

THAT'S the Pixar we all know and love!

I really loved this movie. Funny and sweet, but mostly very poignant. I thought that the lesson, that bottling your emotions can be damaging, and you don't need to be happy all the time. Sometimes, being sad is natural. 

I also liked that all the good emotions, even the "bad ones", were used positively, like how Anger was also Riley's sense of fairness, and Fear kept her from making dangerous decisions. Again, its a great messenger, and I hope it sparks a lot of good discussion. 

• Love 2

Do the emotions in Riley's head have their own emotions controlling them? One would say yes since Anger is not always angry. There's someone controlling his temperament. There's definitely some inception-ing going on.

Great movie. The Lava short was atrocious though.

I wish I had loved this. I've adored Pixar for decades. Most of their movies, apart from Cars and Planes, I can watch over and over and still get something new.

But this, I don't know. I really wanted to love it. I appreciated the clever storylines, I laughed at the witty parts, as usual the artistry and effects were wonderful, but somehow this didn't engage my heart, like Wall-E or Toy Story did. It felt a bit contrived and I even got a little bored in the middle section.

We are so lucky that Pixar is still willing to take risks and do inventive, beautiful movies for kids and adults. But (there is always a but) I'm not sure they were that confident with this one. I almost felt the director tiptoeing along beside the audience, thinking, "is this scene going to work" "perhaps we need more/less here" - I'm not sure which audience they were going for, kids or their parents. Sometimes it felt like both, and sometimes neither.

I don't really feel the desire to go watch it again either, something I've always felt with previous Pixars. But I applaud their wish to do new stuff. It just didn't tug at my heartstrings.

• Love 1

Ick. Don't watch this garbage. Waste of time and money. Ted 2 would've been better for kids to watch. Boo.

(long pause. . . . )

Juuuuuuuusssssst kidding. Another great movie from Pixar. I didn't have the major emotional reactions, but I think this is a great "all-ages" flick, where the parents don't have to check out for an hour-forty-five. And yeah . .  . Lewis Black was born to play Anger.

Did anybody else have inappropriate thoughts watching Riley run away from home? All I could think was, "And that's how strippers are made!"

ETA: Anybody else think of Fox's Herman's Head? Or am I the only weird one?

• Love 1

I was pretty uncomfortable that the bus driver just let a 10-year old jump off at a busy intersection at night.

My boys are still talking about the movie and now deciding their core memories, which has been cute. I also found out one of them had been sneaking sodas and started the conversation with "So how do you think your honesty island is looking these days?" I loved this movie. I don't know if I loved watching it more than other movies, but it's going to stay with our family longer.

• Love 1

I was not a fan of the Lava short. The animation was great, but just not my cup of tea.

I read in an interview that the parents emotions were all make/female due to just wanting to make sure the audience knew where they were at the time.

I have a one-year-old, so the waterworks were on right from the moment Riley was born. Just thinking about how easily I can screw him up ... egads.

The scene in the pit where Joy started crying, stating "Do you remember . . ." - such great acting and visuals.

Ick. Don't watch this garbage. Waste of time and money. Ted 2 would've been better for kids to watch. Boo.

(long pause. . . . )

Juuuuuuuusssssst kidding. Another great movie from Pixar. I didn't have the major emotional reactions, but I think this is a great "all-ages" flick, where the parents don't have to check out for an hour-forty-five. And yeah . .  . Lewis Black was born to play Anger.

Did anybody else have inappropriate thoughts watching Riley run away from home? All I could think was, "And that's how strippers are made!"

ETA: Anybody else think of Fox's Herman's Head? Or am I the only weird one?

Oh yes, this is exactly like herman's Head. I loved that show. Great underrated comedy, should have been on longer. ANd it had some notable actors/actresses in it as well, Hank Azaria and Yeardley Smith most notably.

• Love 2

I liked it but didn't love it.  I suspect I was too busy translating all the brain science to get invested in Riley's experience.  I do think it would be rewarding to watch it again.

Did they explain (fully) why Sadness touching the core memory made it perma-sad?

You have a memory, and then you have additional memories of reliving the memory that build up associations.  Because Riley is sad as she retrieves the memory, it now has an association with sadness.  The color change suggests that reliving the memory evokes the sadness she felt after the move, rather than the joy she felt with the initial experience.

• Love 2