Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 7/27/2016 at 1:28 PM, Dirtybubble said:

LoL--IDK,  I just assumed there were llamas in Italy at that time.  To me it's just funny to see the llama standing there looking over the pool.

Now see, I have no problem with that.  The fact that he has a British accent strikes me as odd.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

No chef or serious cook is going to use flavored yogurt, savory or sweet.  They will season the dish themselves.  Just a gimmick for those who like to buy already seasoned products.  :^)

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a chef or serious cook. I could see using a savory yogurt to make a quick sauce.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, wings707 said:

No chef or serious cook is going to use flavored yogurt, savory or sweet.  They will season the dish themselves.  Just a gimmick for those who like to buy already seasoned products.  :^)

I needed some plain Greek yogurt to make tziatziki. It took a ridiculous amount of time to find it.

• Love 1

I'm glad Sharon is able to get in touch with her therapists during her sojourn. . .

But one of them really needs to tell her that she's over a thousand miles away from the Appalachian Trail.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, BusyOctober said:

Full disclosure - I don't like yogurt in general, and I think Greek style yogurt is the work of the Devil.  So I am not the demographic for this product from FAGE, but can someone explain the need (desire???) for "Chef Crossovers" and yogurt flavors like "Olive", "Carrot" and Tomato Basil"?  I my taste buds try to jump out of my mouth  every time I see these ads.

I use salad dressing made from greek yogurt, with feta a dill.  The flavors you mention would be good for a veggie dip, yogurt is healthier than mayo or sour cream.  Also, I can see using it instead of mayo for a wrap or sandwich.    The cross-over ones you mentioned are paired with nuts.  I haven't seen them at stores, but they would make for a good snack.  

• Love 2

Only seen this a couple of times…an ad for a fridge that lets you see inside it. Dude's at the store, "Do we need eggs?" Calls wee wifie, but she's too busy melon-balling to give him a trusty answer. So he goes to the handy phone app and sees the current insides of their fridge. "Hen house full", he cheerfully mumbles.

Really, is this that much of a burning need?

• Love 5
14 hours ago, backformore said:

I use salad dressing made from greek yogurt, with feta a dill.  The flavors you mention would be good for a veggie dip, yogurt is healthier than mayo or sour cream.  Also, I can see using it instead of mayo for a wrap or sandwich.    The cross-over ones you mentioned are paired with nuts.  I haven't seen them at stores, but they would make for a good snack.  

Mmm, you're making me hungry! I don't like mayo, but not because of the taste. It's a texture thing. I'd happily swap out Greek yogurt for mayo. And I'd love tomato, basil and dill. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

Only seen this a couple of times…an ad for a fridge that lets you see inside it. Dude's at the store, "Do we need eggs?" Calls wee wifie, but she's too busy melon-balling to give him a trusty answer. So he goes to the handy phone app and sees the current insides of their fridge. "Hen house full", he cheerfully mumbles.

I always think that a camera inside MY fridge would show an egg carton.  Then I'd still have to guess how many eggs I had left. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Arv6 said:

I despise the Rachel Ray Nutrish commercial. In fact, I dislike it so much I went searching for a forum where I could vent about it and happily  stumbled across this site. 

Main issues--I don't find Rachel Ray's schtick to be cute or humorous. Her continued slaughtering of words into 'cutesie' catchphrases is annoying to the majority of adults I know. I find her so off-putting that while her product might actually be good for my pet, I will never buy it. Anytime that commercial comes on, I change the channel instead of listen to her nails-on-chalkboard narrative, I'm sure that's not the desired effect the company is looking for with their expensive advertisements.

21 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I agree.  Her cutesy-poo phrases, yummo (UGH) and Nutrish and all the rest, bug me so much.  I can't stand her anymore.

Yeah, the Yummo! makes me want to shoot myself. She is not nearly as cute as she thinks she is.

ETA, sorry I waited too long to reply and this got shifted to the wrong thread, it was meant to be in the annoying commercials thread.

Edited by SoSueMe
explanation
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

I don't even want to know what that nifty little option costs.

Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard are a cute couple but those commercials are really kind of lame.

• Love 2

When the Bell/Shepard commercials first began, I thought they were fun -- the one where she's helping him prepare for an audition, the Christmas one, etc.  But then they got obnoxious, first with the freak-out over the toy with juice on it and then with the one where she can't stop scooping out melon balls long enough to walk five feet and check the fridge.  There have been some others mixed in that were just boring (e.g. the chardonnay and gravy drawer).  I haven't seen a new one in a while, and keep hoping they're done.

• Love 9

I love Kristen Bell and am fond of Dax so I am very embarrassed for them that they're doing these commercials. I have always thought that they had more integrity than that. But, I guess, they now have 2 kids to send to college so maybe they're doing it for the college funds.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, kat165 said:

I love Kristen Bell and am fond of Dax so I am very embarrassed for them that they're doing these commercials. I have always thought that they had more integrity than that. But, I guess, they now have 2 kids to send to college so maybe they're doing it for the college funds.

I think the commercials are hilarious, and applaud both of them for doing them.

• Love 4

I wasn't much of a Kristen Bell fan until she was on Ellen recently and played along with the Shiny Hiney antics.  Anyone who does not take herself seriously is ok with me.  Likewise Dax was on some time ago and told a hilarious story about Kristen's C section, so I think they are a pretty cute couple.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, Jamoche said:

I needed some plain Greek yogurt to make tziatziki. It took a ridiculous amount of time to find it.

All the local grocery stores carry it where I live, including Walmart.  I buy it sometimes and mix my own fruit and granola into it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, kat165 said:

I thought they came across as a cute couple in the first few.   But the camera inside the fridge and the disaster of a stuffed animal with a stain, had a different vibe - rich entitled spoiled  celebs.  
I'm not saying that's what I think of them.  Just that the more recent commercials are giving that impression.  I hope the writers come back with more of the humor, because I do like this couple,

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

All the local grocery stores carry it where I live, including Walmart.  I buy it sometimes and mix my own fruit and granola into it.

Oh, they have it, it's just that there's an entire aisle that is all yogurt, sorted by brand, so unless you know which brand bothers to carry unflavored it's a long search.

For that Subaru Outback commercial, with all the parents telling their kids that "You're not taking that", did anyone else think these people were preparing to go on vacation?  When the last kid told his mother he was taking the Subaru, I thought "Oh, that's what they meant?"

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

For that Subaru Outback commercial, with all the parents telling their kids that "You're not taking that", did anyone else think these people were preparing to go on vacation?  When the last kid told his mother he was taking the Subaru, I thought "Oh, that's what they meant?"

I still don't understand that ad.

23 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Oh, they have it, it's just that there's an entire aisle that is all yogurt, sorted by brand, so unless you know which brand bothers to carry unflavored it's a long search.

Ah, well that makes sense.  Yeah, I know where to find it but only because I've done that search.  I feel your pain.

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

I cringe at the girl with the clippers, and her little sister in the backyard waiting for a haircut. Such beautiful red hair!

When the kid at the end says he's taking the Subaru, I don't think he looks old enough to drive.  And he'd better get off my lawn.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

This reminds me that Martha Stewart and Snoop Dog have a cooking show coming out on MTV Classic. I can't wait!

I assume the first recipe will be for herbal brownies?

• Love 2

I still don't understand that ad.

I have a teenaged great nephew that for whom that ad was created. He's one of those kids who did have to be told, not stupid, just thinks he's invincible. and that he can do anything he's ever seen on tv or in a movie.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ennui said:

I cringe at the girl with the clippers, and her little sister in the backyard waiting for a haircut. Such beautiful red hair!

When the kid at the end says he's taking the Subaru, I don't think he looks old enough to drive.  And he'd better get off my lawn.

Hey, it worked for Annie Lennox!

20 hours ago, Jamoche said:

If I hit TCM before the movie starts, it's mute button time. They've never had a host I could stand.

Well, I can appreciate that Ben Mankiewicz is Hollywood royalty. But it seems like Robert Osborne is basically a professional dinner guest.

• Love 2

I don't understand this commercial at all. Is Kmart implying that their customers are all zombies? And little Kirsten Dunst girl at the end, I hate to tell you this -- if you're a zombie, you're not "actually dying." You're actually dead.

My husband saw the Pfizer ad,, the one that talks about research, testing, clinical trials, etc.  At the end, we see a father picking up his young son and the voice-over says "finding a cure".  Husband says "What disease are they talking about?"

I answered "All of them."  The ad is to make us feel better about the high price of prescription drugs, so they're explaining why the drugs cost so much.  He said "If they didn't spend so much money on commercials, maybe the drugs wouldn't be so expensive."  High five!

• Love 11
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, stillhere1900 said:

the letgo.com ad with the woman skydiving. Is it the same woman that needs to let go of her thing the same woman that skydives in and says she'll take it ? it looks like the same woman to me.

I thought they were the same woman but am too distracted by the money appears to be flapping like a bird between them distracts me too much.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, peacheslatour said:

What the hell is up with that Kit Kat ad that shows a family in a store and the dad is dressed in a lion costume, he picks up a Kit Kat and it starts singing?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wonders what that one's about!

• Love 4

I have been seeing this one commercial for the Microsoft Surface Pro and it sounds like the hipster who uses it to design Broadway sets says his name is Beowulf. I know I must be hearing this wrong because I can't imagine anyone naming a child Beowulf.

• Love 4