Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Haha, I haven't seen that commercial, but among folks I know, "uphill both ways" is definitely shorthand for "shut up, whippersnapper, you don't know how easy you have it" (or "shut up dad, we 'know' how 'hard' you had it").  Someone else will probably chip in "in the snow!"

But obviously that phrase isn't as well known as I (or the ad makers) thought!  For the record, I'm in the Mid-Atlantic/Appalachian/Southern US.

Maybe you have to be of a certain age to know that.  I'm not sure we boomers use that cliche (unless we are quoting or parodying our parents) with our kids.  We probably say something like, we had to use an actual book, or add that up in our heads, or use a card catalog, or whatever.

1 minute ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe you have to be of a certain age to know that.  I'm not sure we boomers use that cliche (unless we are quoting or parodying our parents) with our kids.  We probably say something like, we had to use an actual book, or add that up in our heads, or use a card catalog, or whatever.

If I were to say I had to use an actual card catalog, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if one of my (millennial) offspring chimed in, uphill both ways!  But then, I suspect some families are just better (meaning worse) at driving a joke into the ground. 

• Like 5

I think the walking up hill to school both ways in the snow is well enough known that people don't need an expanded explanation.

I've only eaten at Golden Corral once. While it's cheap and all you can eat, my memory is that most of it was mediocre to awful. It's like the good news it's all you can eat. The bad news is that it's all you can eat.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think the walking up hill to school both ways in the snow is well enough known that people don't need an expanded explanation.

Yeah, I don't need the whole thing; you can quote any part of it, and I'll get the reference.

• Like 7
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

If I were to say I had to use an actual card catalog, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if one of my (millennial) offspring chimed in, uphill both ways!  But then, I suspect some families are just better (meaning worse) at driving a joke into the ground. 

But we had to use the card catalog barefoot in the snow!!!

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 11
5 hours ago, millennium said:

The new Golden Corral commercial with the Latino grandparents and their grandchildren  (I can't find it online).

The grandfather is telling his grandchildren how he didn't have Golden Corral's new menu items (the Garlic Parmesan chicken or whatever) when he was a kid.   And then in what seems like a total non-sequitur, the grandmother says "And he had to walk uphill both ways."  And the grandfather says,  "And it was snowing."

Huh?  Either grandma didn't take her Prevagen, or the part where she should have said, "He had to walk to school every day, and it was uphill both ways"  wound up on the cutting room floor.   If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

That one drives me nuts. They totally fucked it up.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, millennium said:

The new Golden Corral commercial with the Latino grandparents and their grandchildren  (I can't find it online).

The grandfather is telling his grandchildren how he didn't have Golden Corral's new menu items (the Garlic Parmesan chicken or whatever) when he was a kid.   And then in what seems like a total non-sequitur, the grandmother says "And he had to walk uphill both ways."  And the grandfather says,  "And it was snowing."

Huh?  Either grandma didn't take her Prevagen, or the part where she should have said, "He had to walk to school every day, and it was uphill both ways"  wound up on the cutting room floor.   If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

I assumed he was walking uphill to and from Golden Corral.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The commercial features a non-binary character named Morgan who uses they/them pronouns.  The story being relayed is solely about Morgan. 

I didn't realize Morgan was non-binary, but then I haven't paid that much attention to the commercial the few times I've seen it.

19 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe it's because I heard it from my father, but I can verify that this Gen X person has used that cliche.  Of course, I also say that I had to walk all the way across the room to change the channel on the tv when I was a kid.

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Of course, I also say that I had to walk all the way across the room to change the channel on the tv when I was a kid.

On a 19-inch B&W Philco TV.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 6
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

4, if the PBS channel was cooperating.

Back then PBS was basically "educational TV", though they did have a show I really liked that showed actual medical operations (unfortunately in B&W).  We also had a Spanish-language channel that showed bullfighting, which I watched, and a lot of Canttinflas, which I didn't

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Back then PBS was basically "educational TV", though they did have a show I really liked that showed actual medical operations (unfortunately in B&W).  We also had a Spanish-language channel that showed bullfighting, which I watched, and a lot of Canttinflas, which I didn't

When PBS came out with Masterpiece in 1971 I was enthralled. I watched The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth, Elizabeth R, Upstairs, Downstairs and The Duchess of Duke Street. And later Sherlock and Prime Suspect.  I had a huge crush on Allistair Cooke.

• Like 3
On 8/11/2023 at 3:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

When PBS came out with Masterpiece in 1971 I was enthralled. I watched The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth, Elizabeth R, Upstairs, Downstairs and The Duchess of Duke Street. And later Sherlock and Prime Suspect.  I had a huge crush on Allistair Cooke.

Yes, IMO, today's Masterpiece Theatre is a far cry from those days.  Also the shows that they played in Mystery were also better: Lord Peter Wimsey, Sgt Cribb, etc. Cooke's "America" was great.  As was Jean Shepherd's "America"

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Yes, IMO, today's Masterpiece Theatre is a far cry from those days.  Also the shows that they played in Mystery were also better: Lord Peter Wimsey, Sgt Cribb, etc. Cooke's "America" was great.  As was Jean Shepherd's "America"

My dad raced cars so he used to subscribe to all those "car guy" magazines. Jean Shepherd had a monthly column. I used to read it every month. A Christmas Story is based on his stories and he did the narration for the movie. He was great.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My dad raced cars so he used to subscribe to all those "car guy" magazines. Jean Shepherd had a monthly column. I used to read it every month. A Christmas Story is based on his stories and he did the narration for the movie. He was great.

When I was a kid he had a nightly syndicated radio show where he just talked for an hour, mostly about his childhood.  His Christmas and 4th of July stories were the best.

It seems lately there have been a few commercials where the characters are so mealy mouthed I can't understand what they are saying, like in the phone one with the kids at camp.  There's another for a mattress with the concept that better sleep helps solve problems.  I have no idea what the guy in the bed is saying.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

HOW does Subway afford all of these athletes?  Rafa Nadal is now schilling for sandwiches?

They are all personal friends of Jared.

8 hours ago, Haleth said:

When I was a kid he had a nightly syndicated radio show where he just talked for an hour, mostly about his childhood.  His Christmas and 4th of July stories were the best.

It seems lately there have been a few commercials where the characters are so mealy mouthed I can't understand what they are saying, like in the phone one with the kids at camp.  There's another for a mattress with the concept that better sleep helps solve problems.  I have no idea what the guy in the bed is saying.

I like "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories" where Ralphie goes to the prom.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Has anyone seen the Old Navy commercials with Natasha Lyonne? WTF happened to her? The first time I saw it I thought "wow she sounds exactly like Natasha Lyonne and even has a superficial resemblance to her but it's not her." But . . . it is. Is it just different makeup or did she do something really weird to her face?

image.thumb.png.a86f79ae889f13d88e20a63178115f24.png

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I guess I'm supposed to know who he is? 

The actor who played Phil on Modern Family.  I only watched it occasionally in syndication, so was off to look up his name, when I played the video and saw they included it (but they don't identify him as an actor, just spokesperson and small business owner) -- Ty Burrell.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2

Dial Body Wash Gel - woman on what looks like a subway car and gets licked on the arm by a small dog in a purse. I'm so distracted by a pet dog on a subway that I'm wondering what subway system allows pet dogs. I've never been on a subway that allowed pets. Am I overthinking this?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Dial Body Wash Gel - woman on what looks like a subway car and gets licked on the arm by a small dog in a purse. I'm so distracted by a pet dog on a subway that I'm wondering what subway system allows pet dogs. I've never been on a subway that allowed pets. Am I overthinking this?

And she gets upset that a purebred Pomeranian licked her elbow. I wish she could see the kind of weirdos that have played with my hair, sat way too close or stuck their hands down their pants and stared at me on public transit that I've been on. I'd take the Pomeranian any day.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2023 at 10:58 PM, iMonrey said:

Has anyone seen the Old Navy commercials with Natasha Lyonne? WTF happened to her? The first time I saw it I thought "wow she sounds exactly like Natasha Lyonne and even has a superficial resemblance to her but it's not her." But . . . it is. Is it just different makeup or did she do something really weird to her face?

image.thumb.png.a86f79ae889f13d88e20a63178115f24.png

I think it's her hair color here.  She's never been that orange naturally, so it's either a bad dye job or a bad wig.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2023 at 1:37 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

This boomer and my family used that exact cliche to make fun of my father - his house growing up was literally next door to the school.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The first time I heard the Nutrisystem ad for their Partner Plan, I thought they said Parker plan. I thought WTH is a Parker plan? Maybe I need one of those hearing aids that are advertised. 😅

Maybe Parker from State Farm is working there now.

• LOL 10
25 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Girl in the Lumify eyedrops commercial: I can't stop looking at my eyes!

I hate that ad. And I guess I'm kind of freaked out at putting something in my precious eyes that would make them so "luminous."

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I often wonder why the people chosen to perform in a commercial cannot pronounce the words correctly.  Case in point:  I'm lounging around and a Hershey's commercial comes on.  The tag line appears to be:

"Hershey's wants to heart worm the world"

and my immediate reaction is No Thanks!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
23 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I often wonder why the people chosen to perform in a commercial cannot pronounce the words correctly.  Case in point:  I'm lounging around and a Hershey's commercial comes on.  The tag line appears to be:

"Hershey's wants to heart worm the world"

and my immediate reaction is No Thanks!

Do they make heartworm medicine for humans?  I ate some Hershey's and now I'm concerned.  😁

• LOL 5

See, my interpretation was first that they wanted to give them to me, followed by that they wanted to give me the medicine.  Curse that rampant verbing!

On the flipside, what does "heart warm the world" even mean?

Stay away from Hershey's!

• LOL 3

I don't understand why the girl in the summer camp ad for those Galaxy (?) folding phones has an English accent when no one else does. And I don't understand the premise of the ad that the phone is so mesmerizing that you get sucked into it. What phone doesn't nowadays? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Grainger - I've never heard of this company and from their commercials I have no idea what they sell. Hardware?

I love Grainger!  I buy from them a lot for work.  I would categorize them as hardware/construction -- they have everything from screws to shelving to scaffolding, plus a lot of safety-type things (hard hats, flashlights, etc.).

• Like 3
  • Useful 5