Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

My family has always made tuna salad (for sandwiches) with chopped hard boiled eggs. Also chopped sweet pickles, celery, spring onions, mayo, salt and pepper. My mom used to add chopped apples and walnuts. You wouldn't believe how delicious that was. I made it that way one time when my husband suddenly invited some of his employees over for lunch on a Saturday (!). They said it was the best tuna salad sandwich they'd ever had and they weren't just sucking up to the boss's wife. Their wives called me to ask me how I made it because their husbands came home raving about it. Different strokes for different folks. 

Ooh, yeah: sweet pickles!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

That guess was as good as mine (better, actually, since I was bewildered and had no guess at all) but--surprise! I found the spot online and it turns out it's for a diabetes drug. (Italics because it makes no sense.)

The drug name is Toujeo. (WTF?) Here's the "rationale" (such as it is) for the creation of the "white paper sculpture world" that the woman is walking through:

That's about as thin a justification for a campaign theme as I've seen. Yes, the first thing I think of when I think about diabetes is "it's the disease you journal about."

In any case, the spot can be viewed here:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AYDp/toujeo-journal

This just makes me think of the Take on Me video from A-Ha 30 years ago. 

Except at the time the video was original.  And creative.  And not being used to shill for a diabetes medication. 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I guess now they're all up in arms because there may be a gay character in the live action Beauty and the Beast. A movie about a girl who falls in love with a buffalo or some shit.

I hadn't though of that, its an excellent point.

How dare you mix up this movie's primary theme of bestiality with an unholy subplot about homosexuality!!!! 

• Love 7

Can someone tell me the point of that silly "so long, Predictable" Alfa Romeo commercial? It makes zero sense to me. Some woman is musing all about how she wants to let "Predictable" go and have a more exciting life or something, but then she closes with "If you love something set it free." Which makes even less sense. She clearly doesn't love Predictable, because she's just gone on this rant about how boring it is. And then she signs off, "Sincerely, Julia." One would assume that's the name of the woman narrating the commercial. But then if you actually WATCH you see that it's the name of the car and it's "Giulia." So it's the CAR narrating?

Someone help me. None of this adds up.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Can someone tell me the point of that silly "so long, Predictable" Alfa Romeo commercial? It makes zero sense to me. Some woman is musing all about how she wants to let "Predictable" go and have a more exciting life or something, but then she closes with "If you love something set it free." Which makes even less sense. She clearly doesn't love Predictable, because she's just gone on this rant about how boring it is. And then she signs off, "Sincerely, Julia." One would assume that's the name of the woman narrating the commercial. But then if you actually WATCH you see that it's the name of the car and it's "Giulia." So it's the CAR narrating?

Someone help me. None of this adds up.

I don't think it pays to think about it.

• Love 5

The guy who's smelling his GF's scarf and complaining it was "washed a month ago" - there's a caption on it I hadn't seen before: "out of storage". Not helping! OK, great, it smells good even though it's been in storage, but what is he expecting? For it to have an in-storage smell? How does that remind him of his GF?

• Love 1

My understanding is that it only stays smelling fresh out of storage.  The scarf he's smelling wasn't in storage.  He's not expecting it to have an in-storage smell; he's just not expecting it to still smell like the detergent a month after being washed.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, janie jones said:

My understanding is that it only stays smelling fresh out of storage.  The scarf he's smelling wasn't in storage.  He's not expecting it to have an in-storage smell; he's just not expecting it to still smell like the detergent a month after being washed.

Huh. Well, that would upset me - any detergent smell that lasts that long is way too overscented for me.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Eliot said:

Can someone tell me the point of that silly "so long, Predictable" Alfa Romeo commercial? It makes zero sense to me.

Yeah, it's a weird way to reintroduce a brand that stopped selling in the US for so long. The accompanying Mozzafiato commercial makes a bit more sense but it also ends with pseudo-philosophical copy. "Some cars take your breath away. Only one gives it back." They really would have done better to point out all the ways reviewers have compared it with BMWs, etc., in the same class.

At least the brand managers recognized that it would be wise to not focus their ads on just the high performance, well-reviewed Giulia Quadrifoglio model, which reviewers have pointed out is not only a mouthful for non-Italian speakers but also very easy to mess with.

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

He's not complaining.  He's pleasantly surprised.

That it smells clean? The only reason I can think of to dramatically sniff one's lover's clothing is to get their scent, not detergent.

• Love 3

I guess I'll put this here because I don't know where else would be more appropriate. The ad for SafeLite auto glass repair where a mom is taking her kids to a game, and her windshield gets hit with a rock or whatever and has a crack. The line of "Don't let a cracked windshield mess up your plans" or whatever. I guess it's from living in a poor area, but when crack in that window wouldn't even get a second glance here. People drive with cracked windshields all the time. As long as it doesn't block the drivers view, it's not illegal either. But most people here don't have $300.00 for a new windshield. The way the ad is presented, the car is undriveable with it, and it must be fixed immediately. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

I guess I'll put this here because I don't know where else would be more appropriate. The ad for SafeLite auto glass repair where a mom is taking her kids to a game, and her windshield gets hit with a rock or whatever and has a crack. The line of "Don't let a cracked windshield mess up your plans" or whatever. I guess it's from living in a poor area, but when crack in that window wouldn't even get a second glance here. People drive with cracked windshields all the time. As long as it doesn't block the drivers view, it's not illegal either. But most people here don't have $300.00 for a new windshield. The way the ad is presented, the car is undriveable with it, and it must be fixed immediately. 

I lived in California for a long time, and ANY crack in the windshield is a fixit ticket.  You MUST get it fixed.

It actually surprised me when I moved to another state where it was okay to have a crack!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2

Wow, that's legal?   In my area, it's illegal to drive with a cracked window and insurance companies are required to replace they without charging a deductible or having it impact rates so there's no excuse not to.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

I had a minor chip in my window in Texas, and one hot day I turned on the AC and whoosh! That chip turned into a crack running the length of the window. I've gotten those chips fixed quick ever since then.

• Love 2

I got a chip, called my insurer (Progressive at the time) and by Saturday, SafeLite had sent me an email with a picture of the dude they were sending out. He came out, fixed the windshield & went on his merry way and I paid nothing. I wonder what Liberty Mutual could do with that?

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I had a minor chip in my window in Texas, and one hot day I turned on the AC and whoosh! That chip turned into a crack running the length of the window. I've gotten those chips fixed quick ever since then.

I live in Texas, and I know what you mean. But we drive with cracks like that all the time. Lol

• Love 1
23 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

23 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I lived in California for a long time, and ANY crack in the windshield is a fixit ticket.  You MUST get it fixed.

It actually surprised me when I moved to another state where it was okay to have a crack!

I worked with California cops for decades, AND had a cracked chipped windshield obscuring my vision.  They never pulled me over.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

That explains it.

Craig Peyer.  Mercy Road exit and another hot 80's  blonde,  Good thing I had Charlie Mansonites visit my barn when I was a teen, or that shit would've freaked me the fuck out!

On 3/13/2017 at 6:44 PM, walnutqueen said:

I worked with California cops for decades, AND had a cracked chipped windshield obscuring my vision.  They never pulled me over.

Enforcement of minor infractions can vary widely by city. For example, California requires two license plates; most officers outside of San Francisco will give you a pass. 

Forgot to say that a cracked windshield can be a safety hazard. Depending on your vehicle, it may even be a factor in structural integrity. Even if it isn't, if you are in an accident and your airbags deploy, or you are somehow thrown against the windshield, it will not provide the safety for which it is designed. Personally, I'd get any cracked windshield repaired.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

Most officers outside of San Francisco will help you take off the back license plate and show you that the front one is stuck to it.  For some reason, we are a state full of people who can't pull two license plates apart.

I think that the Safelite people really really think you should get windshield cracks fixed ASAP.  Preferably by calling them.  Or using their app - they must have an app.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Most officers outside of San Francisco will help you take off the back license plate and show you that the front one is stuck to it.  For some reason, we are a state full of people who can't pull two license plates apart.

I think that the Safelite people really really think you should get windshield cracks fixed ASAP.  Preferably by calling them.  Or using their app - they must have an app.

Safelite has had an app since 2012.

Pirelli Tire has a new app. http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/03/13/pirelli-offering-colored-tires-tires-that-talk-to-app.html 

Oh, regarding the front plate -- many performance vehicles don't have a place for a front plate (BMW, Viper, Corvette, etc.). Some Jeeps do not have a space for a front plate, and need to have holes drilled. 

Oh, that FidgetBall is SO intoxicating!!!! </sarcasm>

But "they" say folks who fidget lose weight better from the continual activity.

I went to a real estate expo a few weeks ago and some "rooter" company had those foam stress balls as a give-away, except they weren't balls, they were toilets. Euuuyyywww. I think the Charmin Bears would have "enjoyed" them.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, ennui said:

Oh, regarding the front plate -- many performance vehicles don't have a place for a front plate (BMW, Viper, Corvette, etc.). Some Jeeps do not have a space for a front plate, and need to have holes drilled. 

Yeah.. People here just put the front one on the dash. Stick it down so it shows out the front window.  Some states only require one plate. So that may be why they makes some cars that way. 

Topic? Yeah. The sonic douchecanoes can get off my TV anytime. I've given up sonic since they got rid of the grilled  chicken wrap. 

• Love 3

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the Commercials that Annoy thread, but the red "baked on alfredo?"  The dishwasher lady now calls it "baked on gravy."  I bet they got a lot of emails pointing out that alfredo isn't red.  Ha!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the Commercials that Annoy thread, but the red "baked on alfredo?"  The dishwasher lady now calls it "baked on gravy."  I bet they got a lot of emails pointing out that alfredo isn't red.  Ha!

I saw that and thought, "Italian people call tomato sauce 'gravy', so she must be Italian."

• Love 1

The new Dove foamy body wash ad is a head scratcher for me...the voice over is a woman saying she went blind at 14 and was asked by Dove to test this new product.  Um, OK?  Then she says "I was so happy it was foam! So light and not sticky!" What?  What does being blind have to do with any of this?  I guess because she's blind, her sense of touch has been so elevated that the viscosity of other soaps is too heavy for her ?  BTW, isn't this is the same company, who until this ad, kept extolling the thick & rich creaminess of their body wash compared to others?  And "sticky"?  Most soap products are rather slippery, no?  

• Love 8

I can't stand this ad for hair replacement for women - no idea of the company, so FAIL. But it starts - very modern - with two women texting. The first text the second (and you hear in voice-over): Remember that personal problem you had last year? And the second one, in voice-over, LAUGHS! Laughs?! "Oh yeah!" And it goes on from there. You laugh not only at your friend's distress but also at that awful personal problem you had (and I say awful only because that's the whole premise of the ad). But, really, more than anything, you laugh at your friend's distress? WTF? And I finally looked at the ad once and she actually texts "LOL!" So it's not just a bad acting choice! I really loathe this commercial.

The other thing I can't stand is that Liberty Mutual ad - and I'm not so het up about them as many are but this gets me - is the woman with the two kids who says, "Liberty Mutual stood with me..." Stood! Stood? What, were there no chairs around? I don't know... doesn't that sound wrong to anyone but me? Maybe I'm wrong...

Edited by OneWouldHope
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, OneWouldHope said:

The other thing I can't stand is that Liberty Mutual ad - and I'm not so het up about them as many are but this gets me - is the woman with the two kids who says, "Liberty Mutual stood with me..." Stood! Stood? What, were there no chairs around? I don't know... doesn't that sound wrong to anyone but me? Maybe I'm wrong...

I think it would be more correct to say "stood by me". But isn't this the same commercial that mispronounces "viola"? Nuf said. So many insurance companies have funny/amusing ads - why does Liberty Mutual feel the need to be so annoying? Are their ads working?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

No we don't - sauce is red, gravy is brown.

Lol. I always have to laugh when this discussion comes up. My last name is Italian but my mother was German-English and she hated when people called sauce gravy! So it always makes me think of my mom when it comes up. 

And, yes, chessiegal, that's the one with the mispronounced "Voila"... but I'm trying to work past my teeth being set on edge by that since it seems pretty entrenched. Sigh.

Edited by OneWouldHope
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

why does Liberty Mutual feel the need to be so annoying? Are their ads working?

They must be because LM spends millions wining and dining their agents.  Best party I ever went to.

• Love 1

Re. The gravy vs. sauce debate...my grandmother and her 2 sisters came to Boston from Sicily in the 1920's as young girls.  They only spoke Italian in their home growing up (but learned English at school).  They had Sunday Dinner every week while they were children.  When they married (also Sicillians) and had kids, every Sunday there'd be the big dinner.  When the grandchildren started coming (Americans with Irish, Italian, German, Cape Verdian, Swedish, Philippine, Scottish decent), bigger Sunday Dinners. You know what was on the table for all of these meals? Sauce AND gravy..."sauce" for the pasta course (primi) and "gravy" for the meat course (secondi). No one in our family has ever confused the two for almost 100 years.

• Love 8