Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Her hair is different and her face is much thinner. Could be weight loss. She looks great - it's just I would not have recognized her if she hadn't said her name. Glad to hear she's a cancer survivor.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband and I always crack up at the "A Place for Mom" commercials that Joan Lunden hawks. I saw a new one, and if Joan hadn't said "Hi, I'm Joan Lunden", I wouldn't have recognized her. She didn't look bad, looked attractive, but I swear it looked like she got a new face. Weird.

I saw this commercial recently and noticed it also featured an elderly man at the facility, so why is it called a Place for Mom?  That implies it is only for women.  Should be "A Place for Mom and, Oh Yeah, Dad Can Come Too."

• Love 5
On 7/7/2017 at 2:11 AM, Jamoche said:

Call me an olds, but that makes more sense than left/right - I don't know (and don't care) which direction is good or bad. But I am a UI designer so I am a firm believer in the idea that you shouldn't have to guess; it should either be obvious or make sense once you know.

It's a play on words. I presume what they had in mind was swipe right = right person, but it also works as a swipe left if you want to have left them behind and move on to the next person.

The newest Booking. Com ad features a man driving a caged golf cart getting hit by golfers on their course . I'm not sure there actually exists a job of someone just getting hit by golf club members while driving back-and forth. However; unlike Bump on Log Kindergarten Teacher, at least this person is attempting to actually DO his rather unpleasant job so one actually feels he's EARNED his vacation.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

The newest Booking. Com ad features a man driving a caged golf cart getting hit by golfers on their course . I'm not sure there actually exists a job of someone just getting hit by golf club members while driving back-and forth. However; unlike Bump on Log Kindergarten Teacher, at least this person is attempting to actually DO his rather unpleasant job so one actually feels he's EARNED his vacation.

That's how the balls are collected.  He's not there to provide a target, although that would be awesome.

• Love 9

And notice that his dialog is exactly the same as the teacher's in the other ad. I wonder if this is going to be a series or if these two ads are all there are? I wouldn't mind if they kept it going for a few more just to see how absurd it could get.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

And notice that his dialog is exactly the same as the teacher's in the other ad. I wonder if this is going to be a series or if these two ads are all there are? I wouldn't mind if they kept it going for a few more just to see how absurd it could get.

I wish they'd make more Susan Lucci ads. "It's called a nap, Susan Lucci."

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

That's how the balls are collected.  He's not there to provide a target, although that would be awesome.

In the movie The Sweetest Thing (which I think is hilarious, because it remind me of my sister and me back then), Jason Bateman and Thomas Jane go to a golf...range?...and purposefully try to hit the guy driving the cart collecting the balls.

20 hours ago, Blergh said:

I love that one, especially the frustrated way the cart driver says, "COME ON, BARRY!" when one of the golfers throws his club and hits the cage covering his seat.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

This commercial has definitely made my Tour de France viewing less enjoyable this year.  

There was this one ad they were playing at the beginning (first week or so) of the 'Tour which showed bicycle crashes accompanied by "Head Over Heels" that seems to have been replaced.

Nexium may want to rethink its current ad campaign for its new clear minis, because it sounds like the announcer is saying "nuclear minis."

`Kind of like the ad for Thredup, a used clothing website, or as one of their spokesmodels calls it "Britta". Every time I hear that I think, isn't Britta a water purifying system? 

On 7/17/2017 at 9:00 AM, mmecorday said:

Nexium may want to rethink its current ad campaign for its new clear minis, because it sounds like the announcer is saying "nuclear minis."

Why did they invent clear minis? Was there an issue with the purple pills?

Some products I think, why? 

• Love 1

Maybe men were confusing the little purple pill with the little blue pill and wondering why they weren't able to get an erection lasting four hours?

It's Gordo, their ginormous dog.

It think the implication is that Gordo really stinks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I think they were meant to be worn over a cloth skirt so that you got that plastic look that was in style circa 50 years ago. You could match it up with shiny vinyl accessories like go-go boots, a belt and cap. I don't know how long the fad lasted, but you can see it in TV episodes from the 60's.

• Love 3

Of all the Lending Tree ads, this is the only one where any of the humans possesses anything remotely resembling the "right idea."   I'd like to think there is a cut of this that ends with the guy beating the snot out of that dickhole, Muppet knock-off.

• Love 2
On 7/18/2017 at 0:07 PM, mmecorday said:

Maybe men were confusing the little purple pill with the little blue pill

On 7/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

k they were meant to be worn over a cloth skirt

On 7/18/2017 at 2:43 PM, friendperidot said:

In the world of dollhouses, clear minis may be very desirable

Sigh.

The new clear Nexium mini's are 38% smaller, so they are easier to swallow. Where did I learn this? On a horse forum. Apparently, horses get ulcers and digestive issues and can take Nexium.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2017 at 5:00 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

The vets I work for recommend Pepcid AC for dogs & cats with acid issues.

Ok, now I am worried that my cats might be experiencing heartburn, and I am a bad pet person because I didn't even know that was a thing.  How would you know your pet had this problem?  Testing the hairballs or something?

(edited)
On 7/20/2017 at 5:00 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

The vets I work for recommend Pepcid AC for dogs & cats with acid issues.

I was skeptical, because there are a lot of meds dogs can have that would harm or kill a cat, but I googled it and this was the first thing that popped up:

Cats with chronic kidney disease are more likely to have elevated acid levels making them more prone to vomiting. A daily dose of a 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet of Pepcid AC (or generic, famotidine) can control this. Some cats feel nauseous without vomiting, which causes a decrease in appetite.

Huh. The things you learn. Thanks, PW!

Re: the Febreze commercial and Gordo- It has nothing to do with cheese dip! Coder Lady had the right of it:

On 7/18/2017 at 1:56 PM, CoderLady said:

It's Gordo, their ginormous dog. They're being euphemistic about his nether parts being in contact with the couch when he sits down.

Hence the need for stuff that makes stinky stuff not stink quite so much.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 4
On 7/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, friendperidot said:

Cobalt Stargazer, I hate those ads, to me, they are feeding into the current atmosphere in this country of greed, and me first and being an asshole to get ahead. I mute 'em.

But that would be a BMW commercial. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't get the point of this ad:

I don't think the point they should be trying to make is that being a good person and husband isn't enough.

I am clearly in a dark mood.  This commercial makes me think the driver would be a family annihilator if something went wrong in their boss life.

• Love 3

Ken Fisher says he would rather go to hell than sell an annuity. However, I think he sounds like the Men's Wearhouse guy, George Zimmer. I always have a moment of disconnect, thinking "wait, what?".

• Love 1
(edited)

There's an ad for some home security service (not ADT or Slomins Shield) in which a woman is on hold with customer service while trying to purchase a home security service.  When someone answers, she whispers "we've been robbed and I want a system" or something to that effect.  When the camera pans around the room/house, it looks like it's literally just been robbed, like the burglars left five minutes before.  Every time I see it, all I can do is wonder why the hell she's calling to purchase a home security service instead of phone the freaking police to report a crime.

I just looked it up, and the commercial is for SimpliSafe.  SimpliStupid is more like it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's an ad for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that I can't find online, where the announcer says MAGIC eraser, like it erases magic.  It should be magic ERASER.

I noticed that, too. I guess the sound editing equivalent of "proofreader" is another position some people think is unnecessary.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/23/2017 at 7:57 PM, riley702 said:

Re: the Febreze commercial and Gordo- It has nothing to do with cheese dip! Coder Lady had the right of it:

Hence the need for stuff that makes stinky stuff not stink quite so much.

How can anybody not know that Gordo is the dog?! It's so obvious to me that they're talking about the dog  when they mention Gordo and Gordo is jumping on the couch they're speaking of.   I'm seriously scratching my head about Gordo meaning cheese dip. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 7
On 7/4/2017 at 1:55 PM, CoderLady said:

In their relentless quest to increase paranoia in their viewers, Lifetime already has a movie, "Wrong Swipe," that plays up the worse case scenario involved in using a tracking dating app. It's part of their library of "Wrong ________" movies that make it clear that new experiences are a really bad idea.

"Lifetime -- Television for Women Who Hate Men."

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Maharincess said:

How can anybody not know that Gordo is the dog?! It's so obvious to me that they're talking about the dog  when they mention Gordo and Gordo is jumping on the couch they're speaking of.   I'm seriously scratching my head about Gordo meaning cheese dip. 

It's also subtitled so the capital in Gordo is obvious.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Lifetime - Television for Women Who Hate Themselves."

Yep, that's what I've long called it, but I stole it from someone (a stand-up comic, I believe) whom I can't remember to credit.

"And now get new Bounty with Despicable Me prints, only in theaters."

Yikes.  Knowing how many people a commercial's script passes through, it's really sad that made it all the way to air.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2017 at 0:32 PM, Maharincess said:

How can anybody not know that Gordo is the dog?! It's so obvious to me that they're talking about the dog  when they mention Gordo and Gordo is jumping on the couch they're speaking of.   

When they talk about "bare feet, back sweat and Gordo's bits", all I can think is that all the Febreeze in the world couldn't get to me sit on that couch. 

We always call Lifetime "the victim channel." But now there's all kinds of murder shows, so maybe that doesn't apply anymore.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Nah, that's Hallmark at Christmas.

OMG don't remind me, we just got through the truly heinous "Christmas in July". My husband absolutely adores that crap. Drives me right out of the room to be here with all of you wonderful people. He won't even let me make sarcastic remarks or snark of any kind. Where's the fun in that?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 9

Back to school time approaches, and the Frixion "Josh" ad is back - where the narrator is so annoyed that his "best friend" is popular that he erases him. Head-scratching on its own, but for reasons I still cannot decipher, it's tied into an "erase bullying" campaign. The only erasing here is done to a kid who's only crime is to be popular. But even the agency behind the ad sees the narrator as the "hero" who needs "pity"! 

http://www.primalscreen.com/project/pilotPensCampaign/pilotFriXion