Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Jackie And The Wolf

Jackie and Eddie's nice quiet morning is ruined by an unexpected knock at the door. Dr. Prince attracts a neighborhood mob to All Saints. Jackie learns that her nursing license hearing has been moved up to today. As the hearing approaches, Jackie has final confrontations with Zoey and Akalitus.

Promo:

Clips:

That was the ending I've been dreading (and I'm not talking about the pill popping). In what universe does Jackie get her licence back? What kind of hearing was that? Akalitis has a son who's an addict and this is somehow relevant? Absurd, stupid plot point.

• Love 6

I was briefly confused by the handful o' pills popping at the end. I thought maybe it was some kind of strange dream sequence. Really now the only satisfactory ending (for me) for this show will be to end with Jackie's death. She's got nowhere else to go (down). It probably won't end that way, but I hope it does. And I would absolutely watch a new show called Nurse Zoey.

• Love 11
(edited)

I was briefly confused by the handful o' pills popping at the end. I thought maybe it was some kind of strange dream sequence.

Were those definitely pills and not some kind on candy?  *hoping for it not to be pills....again!!!*   Only because I thought we had seen her eat candy like that before.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

For me the weirdest part was Dr. Monk and his brain cancer progressing to the point he can't even see straight. In what world would a doctor in that condition still be practicing medicine...especially in an ER? Even if he didn't want people to know about the cancer, he could have taken a "vacation" or something. Talk about a ridiculous plot angle for only 2 more episodes....how are they gonna wrap all this up now that Jackie has her license back and apparently went right back to the pills? I couldn't care less about Eddie though. I liked him enough til this season, but he's gotten extra shady and slimy and it's getting painful to watch. The show could have easily ended with this episode and I would have been satisfied.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really don't like Jackie, or her attorney. Other than Gloria I can't think of any characters I like anymore. That hearing was total BS. I thought they said in an earlier episode that after she got her license back there would still be periodic drug testing.

I knew Zoey was going to take the pee test for Jackie. When is she going to grow a spine and realize Jackie doesn't give two shits about her?  What Jackie said to her in the lab when she refused to take the test should have highlighted to Zoey how Jackie feels above the rules and doesn't care what position she puts others in.

That was rich in the preview for next week, Jackie scolding Eddie for taking advantage of someone. Honey, you do it all the time. I have a bad feeling all those around Jackie are going to go down and she'll breeze right on through and just keep on doing what she does.

Dr Prince feels like something that was just thrown in at the end and I continue not to care about him.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 4

That bit at the end was either a flashback or a dream sequence, right? Because if after all this Jackie just goes right back to using and the show doesn't end with her dead, then the producers are really sending the wrong message, IMO.

• Love 4

To be honest I don't even know why they added Dr. Monk in at all. The show could have went on without him, even though they still lost Coop. It's the last season, so why bring in a new doctor, especially one with a brain tumor storyline? And of course, only Jackie knows about it. Why not focus more on Kevin and the girls, not some new guy who's been around for all of 5 minutes. Hell, even give us more Thor and bring back Momo, O'Hara, or Sam. I'd love a final appearance from God too. He was a cool guy, especially with that street piano.

Shitshow til the end.

• Love 5

That bit at the end was either a flashback or a dream sequence, right? Because if after all this Jackie just goes right back to using and the show doesn't end with her dead, then the producers are really sending the wrong message, IMO.

I'm only holding out hope because next week's previews have great karmic potential

Jackie getting her license back was complete and utter bull shit. I guess the message of this show is that assholes get away with being assholes all the time. Jackie's only honest moment in this episode was when she told Zoey that the reason she keeps getting into these situations is because she's an addict. Even though she told Zoey the truth about having the pill in her mouth, she was still just being her usual manipulative self.

• Love 8
Because if after all this Jackie just goes right back to using and the show doesn't end with her dead, then the producers are really sending the wrong message, IMO.

I guess it depends on what message you are looking for.  I think they've shown that addiction can destroy the lives of the addict and the people around her or him.  I do believe that Jackie getting her license back is BS, but many of the plot developments this season (Jackie's criminal case being dropped, etc.) seem to be BS.  I don't need Jackie to end up dead, but it is semi-ridiculous how she keeps staking the consequences of her actions. 

• Love 2

I thought it was a capsule too, but when Jackie told Eddie she had it in her mouth, he said there was a coating. Then she said it dissolved a little. I don't think you would refer to the pill capsule as a coating, so I have no idea what it actually was.

So the Norwegian was partly responsible for the cute drug-sniffing beagle interrupting Eddie and Jackie's morning. I understand the reason for him in the scene with Jackie to clarify that, but WTF was that scene with Carrie? Stop wasting time with stupid characters, you stupid show.

• Love 3

I understand why the lawyer brought Akalitus's son into it. At that point, Akalilitus crossed a line in her testimony, to the point of being unprofessional (bringing up Jackie's ex-husband and daughters), and it was relevant as an explanation for why she felt the need to get so personal.

Things would be different if Akalitus had stuck to Jackie's job-related conduct.

To be honest I don't even know why they added Dr. Monk in at all.

So that they can go back to the same material they had with Nurse Helen - a noble person is dying, and they just love Jackie, and they may be willing to take the fall for something they didn't do in order to save her ass. (In Helen's case, it was pretending she stole Roman's DEA number, in Prince's case, it will be to pretend he was the doctor who signed off on the painkillers that Eddie and Jackie sold.)

• Love 2

The pill in her mouth was lame. One, it looked like a capsule and two, she had it in for such a sorry time, there is no way that pee test would have shown anything.

She did eat candy like that but with her perkiness, I can only think she's on drugs again. So it would be a double turn around wammy from the writers... hey let's make it look like it's drugs but it's candy but it's actually drugs!

The Norwegian has to go. Dr monk has to go. Eddie has always had to go. More Thor and Zoey!

Jackie will end up dead.

• Love 5

Listen, it's important to remind the viewers that Betty Gilpin is hot and irresistible. She's not allowed any character growth above and beyond that.

True, but her relationship with a terminated hospital employee who was giving out unprescribed meds - and who was suspected of much more, and now works as a pharma rep with sample access - was relevant. Gloria's son has never been at All Saints - the writers just threw that curve in earlier this season specifically for that callback. If Gloria had that much of a grudge against Jackie, she'd have been trying to get rid of her for a long time, not just recently. 

If they had their act together, the writers would have had Gloria come back with her intel about Eddie being actively investigated by his employer for sample shenanigans - especially given that the dime was dropped from the inside of the hospital/condo unit, whatever it is. Not to mention that nothing ever came of his forging Gloria's signature on those forms*, which also would have been an appropriate callback for Gloria in that moment - "Hey that's not my signature and P.S. I didn't approve you checking out hundreds of painkillers to go on a mercy mission to Florida."

*Although I just re-watched the preview for next week and maybe it will be Gloria's endgame against these two dolts. Jackie threatens Eddie, Eddie threatens her, he points Akalitus to the forgery to get back at Jackie and boom, Gloria has her checkmate to get Jackie out of there. Eddie is that stupid that he'd cut off his nose to spite his face.

If only... to the bolded part.

In regards to Eddie's suspicious drug-related activity and the forgery, Gloria did say at the hearing that she was still trying to get to the bottom of it. I wish she'd hurry, she's only got two episodes left.

• Love 2

Oh, dear God, there's another two episodes left? Why are they bothering? This show has no resemblance to when it first started. Sure , Jackie was using, hiding her private life while boffing Eddie. Yet, you were oddly rooting for her.

Even if he didn't want people to know about the cancer, he

Another preposterous storyline. His doctor wouldn't have red-flagged him in some way? Leave it to his own discretion to know when it's time to quit practising? And it's not like he came from another hospital.

I got a kick out of the smiley, smarmy drug investigator guy. Everybody in that scene was smiling like crocodiles, knowing they were all lying thru their teeth.

When Jackie panicked after mouthing that pill, why the hell didn't she induce vomiting? She should know how to do that!

So Jackie snows Zooey again. If only Zooey at least had said, "Okay, but this is the last time" and meant it.

Like somebody else said, I bet that last scene was a bait and switch, and it turns out to be candy.

• Love 2

Whatever happened to her dog?

Slippers! Last time we saw her Eddie had her in the back room at the dispensary after Jackie left on her "rescue mission". Maybe she got together with Chauncey the Irish Setter from Mad Men, poor things.

• Love 4
She did eat candy like that but with her perkiness, I can only think she's on drugs again.

And they show her making the same hand-to-mouth gesture in the previews. And if she'd been helping herself to Eddie's stash, that might explain the loose pill on the floor.

To be honest I don't even know why they added Dr. Monk in at all. The show could have went on without him, even though they still lost Coop. It's the last season, so why bring in a new doctor, especially one with a brain tumor storyline?

Because he's essential to the plot?

Here's how I'd finish it: Dr. Prince enlists Jackie's help to end his life. Akalitis sees one last chance to protect patients who actually want to live, so she calls the police. They find that Eddie's had some kind of dirty dealings with an incapacitated Prince, so Jackie's act looks less like mercy than murder.

• Love 1

The pill she put in her mouth was definitely some kind of capsule, so the whole "some of it dissolved" thing was pure BS. But, this show has never gotten the pills quite right. Most of the stuff they've shown Jackie swallowing or snorting has never looked like what it was supposed to be. For a show about a drug addict, the writers have done shockingly little research on the drugs themselves.

I don't see how Akalitus' addict son has anything to do with the diversion hearing.

I think it's a fair point to make that she has a personal vendetta against Jackie because of her own personal baggage. It's BS, of course, and we know it, but I can believe it's something her lawyer would bring up once Gloria started actively trying to sandbag Jackie's chances at the hearing.

What I wanted to know was what Zoey was planning to say when she said she had a statement to make. With everyone talking at once she never got a chance to make it. I was kind of wondering if maybe she was going to fess up to the urine screening.

Also, while we're enumerating all the implausible plot points, I fail to see why Jackie would have to do a screening right then before or during her hearing. How long does it take the lab to screen the sample for drugs? If she's got a solid two and half months of clean screenings I can't see them pressing her to do one more.

• Love 4

Slippers disappeared along with Fiona. Apparently Jackie only has one daughter now.

The pill situation with this show has always annoyed me. I get that it's fiction, but they've totally stopped trying.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Monk has been doing all of his own diagnostics and care. It wouldn't be that tough for a doctor to order his own MRI or whatever, and then read it. He did take that stash of clinical trial cancer drugs from the other ward's pharmacy. Guess they're not working.

2 more weeks. I'm mostly watching out of morbid curiosity, to see how low we go.  

• Love 2

In the preview for next week, it pretty much looks like Jackie and Eddie have a big showdown in his old pharmacy digs/backroom. If so, omg these writers - Eddie shouldn't even be on the property, much less in restricted access areas with controlled substances he was fired for handing out. Hell, I'd fire Jackie just for letting unauthorized persons into that room.

Hey, that's where Slippers was last seen. Maybe Eddie and Jackie go in there to feed her?

• Love 4
I guess it depends on what message you are looking for.  I think they've shown that addiction can destroy the lives of the addict and the people around her or him. 

I wasn't looking for the message that You Too Can Win Cash and Valuable Prizes If You're an Unrepentant Addict With a Solid Enabler, Gullible Co-Workers, and the Ability to Tell Any and All Lies!!! I think that's the message the show will send if they end the series with Jackie just going on with her life still using drugs. AFAIC, she hasn't suffered near enough for the destruction she's caused and will continue to wreak if she keeps using. At the very least her kids are probably going to have trust and abandonment issues for the rest of their lives.

I want to see more of a Walter White ending for Jackie versus a Don Draper one.

• Love 5

I got a kick out of the smiley, smarmy drug investigator guy. Everybody in that scene was smiling like crocodiles, knowing they were all lying thru their teeth.

When Jackie panicked after mouthing that pill, why the hell didn't she induce vomiting? She should know how to do that!

I wouldn't think inducing vomiting would help because she didn't swallow it. Whatever may have gotten in to her system would have gotten in her system through her digestive system. Having it in her mouth was similar, from my understanding, to a medicine administered under the tongue or in the cheek (sublingual or buccal)

I think it's a fair point to make that she has a personal vendetta against Jackie because of her own personal baggage. It's BS, of course, and we know it, but I can believe it's something her lawyer would bring up once Gloria started actively trying to sandbag Jackie's chances at the hearing.

Yeah, once Gloria started in on Jackie's failed marriage and children, I'd say all bets are off.   

Here's something that I was curious about, and maybe someone who works in pharmaceutical sales can tell me.  While I have no doubt they are very anal about poor record keeping, and would immediately start investigating a sales rep with questionable records, the dog just felt very wrong to me.  I can imagine a scenario where they threaten to fire Eddie if he doesn't let them search, but I have trouble with an employment contract that allows your employer to conduct an unannounced search of your home with a drug sniffing dog.  It just felt like too much.   

Yay Jackie.  Proving once again that it pays to be a lying drug addict.

Yay Zoey.  You are the queen of the enablers.

Yay nursing board.  You reinstate a nurse who said "fuck" multiple times in her hearing, who was confirmed to have touched patients while she was suspended, and who had her lawyer present dirt on Akalitis to defame her during the hearing.  Nothing unethical here.

Yay showrunners, for not letting reality get in the way of your delusion that we're all rooting for Jackie to win.

• Love 11
Yay nursing board.  You reinstate a nurse who said "fuck" multiple times in her hearing, who was confirmed to have touched patients while she was suspended, and who had her lawyer present dirt on Akalitis to defame her during the hearing.  Nothing unethical here.

I agree that it was surprising the board wouldn't be alarmed that Jackie was handling patients during diversion, and did not seek to more fully explore what had happened.  As to the other stuff, I'm not saying it makes Jackie look like an abject professional, but would the board honestly refuse to give her the license back because she said bad words at the hearing?  As to Akalitis, I think it is fine to raise questions as to her objectivity.  I mean, what did Jackie's failed marriage or relationship with her daughters have to do with the hearing?    

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree that it was surprising the board wouldn't be alarmed that Jackie was handling patients during diversion, and did not seek to more fully explore what had happened.

Jackie's lawyer must be using Jedi mind tricks on courts and official boards. How else can you explain how this violation of the diversion rules was swept away as quickly as Jackie's being caught driving under the influence with a suitcase full of pills she had no authorization for. The unbelievability continues unabated and I'm not holding my breath for a great payoff in the end. Jackie doesn't have to die, just go to jail for her criminal offenses. She can take along Zoey and Eddie for their offenses too. I'm totally over Zoey after her latest "save Jackie" escapade.

Someone on Imdb posed a great question. Why didn't Gloria administer the last test. When Zoey  told her that Jackie wouldn't take her pee test, Gloria should have realized something was up and taken care of it herself.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 6

Speaking of drug beagles... I was traveling to the UK recently and on the way back, in Newark, airport hellpit, the drug beagle walked up to my bags and sat down. Yikes! I was flummoxed. The lady asked if I had food and searched my bag and I had a sandwich in my bag. Lol.

It relates on that the dog coming into the scene made me think oh hi cute working dog... oh wait! Because that's what I said to it at the airport before it sat down.

• Love 2

I mentioned this in Past Season Talk but in S02 E01, Sam - who appeared briefly in S01, high on the job and kicked out of the ER by Jackie - is hired by Gloria full-time. Jackie has a hypocritical fit about his presence, reminding Gloria of why Sam was removed. Gloria replies that Sam went through rehab and is clean. Not the words of a woman with a vendetta against all people with addiction issues. It was Jackie who was adamant (for self-serving reasons, Sam had her number) on a "one-strike, you're out" standard.

Again, another opportunity for a callback is missed. 

You remembered this, but the writers who were too busy concocting stories to make all characters except Jackie look bad, did not. I liked Sam, I wish he'd stayed longer.

• Love 4

Good thing the show is almost over, because I'd have just bailed on it if it wasn't.

I haven't watched the last two eps which is the first time I've been inconsistent in watching this show.  Nothing surprises me anymore EXCEPT how they're weakening  Zoey's character. She was always the one true constant in this show. Quirky, yes, but always unshakable in her standards.

This show went to shit when Carrie Roman came on board.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Showtime wants Jackie to come out on top.  She'll be smelling like a rose as everything goes down around her, caused by her no less.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show went to shit when Carrie Roman came on board.

Yep, that was the fifth season, and the series had a new showrunner. For me that's when Jackie started becoming more unlikeable.

I wanted to add this part of an interview with the new showrunner, Clyde Phillips:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nurse-jackie-season-5-clyde-phillips-438784

The Hollywood Reporter: This is your first season as showrunner on Nurse Jackie. How did you approach it?

Clyde Phillips: I wanted to change it up somewhere between a lot and a little (laughs). The show needed some change. Some of my stated missions were to have the show be funny again. It wasn't a comedy even though it was a half-hour and in the comedy category.

WTF is he talking about? Prentiss and Roman added no funny at all. I guess he thought having Grace get into drugs was making it funnier. Season 4 had some serious moments but it was still plenty funny.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wouldn't think inducing vomiting would help because she didn't swallow it. Whatever may have gotten in to her system would have gotten in her system through her digestive system. Having it in her mouth was similar, from my understanding, to a medicine administered under the tongue or in the cheek (sublingual or buccal)

First of all, the sublingual amount delivered would have probably been ridiculously small, given the fact that not even all of the coating came off. 

Second, what little was there could have been rapidly diluted by her pounding lots of water.

Third-- why did she just not hit the bathroom right after Zoey first approached her, so that later she could just claim it wasn't coming? Or fake diarrhea so she could pee it off throughout the day until she felt safer? She could keep pounding water, further the dilution, and keep Zoey the hell out of it.

How sad is it that I am suggesting better ways for Jackie to lie?

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 1

From what Jackie's lawyer said, it sounded like the nursing board had already been told that Jackie had touched patients (and that it happened in dire emergency situations). And they were told about how Jackie personally saved all three patients' lives, because the show's writers want us to think she's just that awesome at nursing.

The hardest part for me to believe about the hearing is that it would be rescheduled for an earlier date at the last minute. "Why don't we all fly in from Albany at a moment's notice, and hope everyone is present?"

I honestly don't think we're going to get an ending where Jackie comes out on top. After showing her pulling all of this shit, I'll be stunned if the writers give us an ending without at least one of the following things happening:

- Jackie losing her ability to work as a nurse

- Jackie going to prison

- Grace dying

- Jackie dying.

And I think the Eddie/Jackie relationship will be doomed, one way or another.

• Love 4

Speaking of drug beagles... I was traveling to the UK recently and on the way back, in Newark, airport hellpit, the drug beagle walked up to my bags and sat down. Yikes! I was flummoxed. The lady asked if I had food and searched my bag and I had a sandwich in my bag. Lol.

It relates on that the dog coming into the scene made me think oh hi cute working dog... oh wait! Because that's what I said to it at the airport before it sat down.

Could it be that sitting down was the dog's signal for "Feed me!" and that something else (barking, circling, whatever)  was the sign for "Hey, I found drugs!"

I agree that it was surprising the board wouldn't be alarmed that Jackie was handling patients during diversion, and did not seek to more fully explore what had happened.  As to the other stuff, I'm not saying it makes Jackie look like an abject professional, but would the board honestly refuse to give her the license back because she said bad words at the hearing?  As to Akalitis, I think it is fine to raise questions as to her objectivity.  I mean, what did Jackie's failed marriage or relationship with her daughters have to do with the hearing?    

It wasn't about Akalitis' objectivity at all.  Akalitis was just giving an opinion which the board can agree with or discount on its own merits.  But what Jackie's lawyer did was was to violate someone's privacy to dig up dirt on their personal life, it was totally premeditated, and Jackie gave him the go-ahead to use it right in front of the board.  If I'm on that board, the hearing ends right there and Jackie is finished.  I think in RL any nursing board would see it that way.

• Love 4

The board should have shut that down as soon as the attorney said, "Why don't we talk about Michael?". The board should've said, as Gloria pointed out, "This is not Mrs Akalitus' hearing". As far as the monitoring of Jackie, she agreed to the terms of diversion. Jackie can't go back later, whine that it was humiliating and blame Gloria. Jackie did not receive "unmerited distrust". She was placed on probation when she stole the Fentanyl patches back in season 3 and couldn't touch meds for a couple of weeks. That's the kind of thing Gloria should've brought up instead of talking about Jackie's family. I'm sure it was just an oversight by the writers :/

"It is time for me to get back on the fucking floor." This particular comment of Jackie's irks me and shows her arrogance and feeling of entitlement. It should have been met with, "We'll decide whether you get back on the fucking floor", by the board.

If I'm the hospital administration, I would look into why three patients at my hospital needed their lives to be saved by a nurse in the diversion program with a suspended license. Are there no doctors or other nurses in my hospital who can take care of patients? If all of these emergencies that needed Supernurse Jackie's intervention happened when my ER nurses were standing around outside in their non-union sanctioned walk-out, they would be gone.

• Love 5

I liked Sam, I wish he'd stayed longer.

I liked Mohammed, and I have always kind of resented the fact that they got rid of him just so Linda Wallem's brother could have a job. That's why I've never really warmed up to Thor.

• Love 5

It wasn't about Akalitis' objectivity at all.  Akalitis was just giving an opinion which the board can agree with or discount on its own merits.  But what Jackie's lawyer did was was to violate someone's privacy to dig up dirt on their personal life, it was totally premeditated, and Jackie gave him the go-ahead to use it right in front of the board.  If I'm on that board, the hearing ends right there and Jackie is finished.  I think in RL any nursing board would see it that way.

If I were on the nursing board, I'd be more concerned with the hospital's administrator attacking an employee's personal life in a hearing for no justifiable reason. That would be a much bigger issue for me than the nurse allowing her lawyer to question the administrator's motivation for the attack.

I think the woman from the board got it right when she said that their behavior wasn't doing Akalitus or Jackie any favors. And while we have enough information to know that Jackie has no business being a nurse, I think the board acted appropriately with the information they were given.

The only evidence they were given that Jackie wasn't 100% compliant with the diversion program was that she touched patients when it was absolutely necessary to save their lives. It wasn't particularly classy of Jackie to allow her lawyer to attack Gloria (although it became clear that she didn't approve of him bringing up Michael), and it certainly wasn't classy for her to swear. But neither of those actions would cause me to revoke her license.

• Love 3

Could it be that sitting down was the dog's signal for "Feed me!" and that something else (barking, circling, whatever) was the sign for "Hey, I found drugs!"

Lol. I think it was more a bringing in food dog rather than a drug dog, but I believe sitting is the standard for get look here!

• Love 1
(edited)

It wasn't about Akalitis' objectivity at all.  Akalitis was just giving an opinion which the board can agree with or discount on its own merits. 

I'm not sure I follow this.  If you are offering testimony about another person at a hearing, the other side has the right to raise questions about your objectivity.  That would be one factor a judge or a hearing board would use to decide how much weight to give your testimony.  I think once Gloria veered off Jackie's performance at work, and started discussing Jackie's personal life, she left herself open to those types of questions.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
(edited)
Leaving out Jackie's family, Gloria would have grounds to say, the hospital terminated the pharmacist for cause when it was discovered he was offering undocumented painkillers to staff. He is still the subject of an investigation into the disappearance of a mass amount of painkillers around the time that Jackie walked off the job, later to be found in her car with a mass amount of undocumented painkillers. He is currently a representative with "x" pharmaceutical company, and being investigated for discrepancies in his samples of painkillers, having dispensed more than he has accounted for. (Why bother making sure we know the Norwegian is an enemy of Jackie and Eddie if not to give Gloria that ammo too?) Gloria would have then built her case for why that particular personal detail of Jackie being engaged to this person is relevant to the proceedings.

Gloria and the Norwegian don't appear to get along.  I doubt he would be sharing dirt with her regarding Jackie or Eddie.  I also can't imagine how Gloria would have cause to say anything about Eddie, as everything mentioned would essentially be "guilt by association" as it relates to Jackie.  I mean, if Jackie's drug tests are clean, the criminal charges were dropped and she's complying with the rules of diversion, the fact that she's engaged to a shady sounding character is largely irrelevant.  What would the nursing board even be able to do in that situation?  Revoke Jackie's license permanently, not because she hasn't complied with the terms of diversion, but because they don't like her association with Eddie?         

Edited by txhorns79