Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Collision

John Doe holds Dr. Maria Benavidez hostage as an unknown entity continues to blindly lead him to an undisclosed location, and Claire and Wes further their investigation into John Doe’s past whereabouts and begin to uncover what his next target is.

(edited)

That was  ... underwhelming .... though the plot is painfully moving forward. Sean is at the nuclear power plant -- so that's something.

The child psychologist on the bicycle was just plain stupid -- does this guy have the reflexes of a sloth ?  And despite that fact he could have easily maneuvered around the kid in the street, he chooses to cross into oncoming traffic.  WTF ?  Has he heard of brakes ?  He wasn't exactly doing a 100 mph.  Though he did deserve to get hurt just for riding in the dark with headphones in both of his ears.  What an idiot.

Why did none of Wes' team think something was up with the glitches in the video of the kid blowing up Westlings office ?  Or the fact the kid seemed to keep looking at the security camera in the hallway ?

Drill is still omnipotent and has moved on to even more children --  is the father of kid with the basketball standing in the street the janitor at the nuclear power plant ?

Can someone tell what happened the last five minutes? My station cut in to the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup.
  • while riding his bicycle home, Minx's psychologist avoids a kid in the street by swerving into oncoming traffic
  • the electric fence shut off just as Sean grabbed it.  How convenient.  Why didn't Dr. Benavides start running when he grabbed the fence with two hands ?  Stockholm Syndrome already ?
  • staff in the nuclear power plant control room notice the electric fence outage, and say it might be a glitch.
  • Henry was in bed under the covers praying to Drill to bring his daddy home, when the lamp in his room starts flashing.  Because Drill is everywhere.
Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

• the electric fence shut off just as Sean grabbed it.  How convenient.  Why didn't Dr. Benavides start running when he grabbed the fence with two hands ?  Stockholm Syndrome already ?

See, I thought that he was able to control the fence with the same power that lets him talk to kids through lights.  And that his touching it turned it off.

I thought this was much slower and less interesting that the first two episodes.  

• Love 2

I'm glued to this show. Really don't know where it's leading but I'm engrossed.

Have to say: I'm underwhelmed by Lily Rabe as an actress. After hearing all the raves about her, I thought she'd be.....more....but all I see is the same basic look all the time.

• Love 2

Have to say: I'm underwhelmed by Lily Rabe as an actress. After hearing all the raves about her, I thought she'd be.....more....but all I see is the same basic look all the time.

It's definitely the writing, on AHS, she was allowed more freedom with her characters, whereas here, it just feels restrained and one note.

The child psychologist on the bicycle was just plain stupid -- does this guy have the reflexes of a sloth ?  And despite that fact he could have easily maneuvered around the kid in the street, he chooses to cross into oncoming traffic.  WTF ?  Has he heard of brakes ?  He wasn't exactly doing a 100 mph.  Though he did deserve to get hurt just for riding in the dark with headphones in both of his ears.  What an idiot.

With the way the whole scene of him leaving his office was shot, I thought Drill was going to get him Final Destination style, turns out it was even dumber than that.

Can someone tell what happened the last five minutes?

Sean (John) Doe makes it to the power plant after the car crash, Minx finally cooperates and the main characters are trying to go after Sean, and the psychiatrist gets hit by a bus in a most laughable way.

• Love 3
(edited)

What kind of child psychologist parent doesn't realize their deaf child can hear? Only explanation is her mind has been occupied with dead husband who isn't dead and ex lover who isn't ex.

Maybe we should just give all the jobs to the kid the kids because if they are breaking into top level areas and hacking phones then we gots problems. Oh yeah killing dudes.....

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's only the third episode and already it feels as if everything that happens is 80% filler.

The only point of having  Blonde FBI Child Psychologist's mother show up was so that "the story so far" could be reiterated for the umpteenth time. 

It's starting to feel like a chicken-or-egg situation : are broadcast TV shows dumbed-down because people are barely paying attention these days and need everything repeated and highlighted  -- or are people barely paying attention because TV shows are so dumbed-down?

I know this a summer cast-off show, but I don't get any sense of suspense or scariness... I mean, Harper is creepy in that toddler-beauty-pageant way, but that doesn't seem intentional.  And most of the adults come off as being really bad at their jobs.  

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 7
See, I thought that he was able to control the fence with the same power that lets him talk to kids through lights.  And that his touching it turned it off.

I figured that he was able to shut the fence off too.  I don't get why the doctor was yelling at him NOT to touch the fence when five minutes earlier she was crashing her car to get away from him, but whatever.  I'm confused.  Are we supposed to think that Sean is the one whispering to little children under the identity of Drill?  I think that he's connected to this whole thing, obviously, but I kind of assumed that Sean and Drill are two different...beings?  I could have missed something, though.  And yes, this episode did feel like major filler and I'm quickly losing interest (but will probably continue to watch until it's cancelled because I'm dedicated like that). 

• Love 1
(edited)
I think that he's connected to this whole thing, obviously, but I kind of assumed that Sean and Drill are two different...beings?

That's what I've been thinking as well -- Drill seems to know everything, and seems to have complete knowledge of who everyone is, where everyone lives, and how to access what he needs to whatever his end game is.  Meanwhile, Peter Petrelll ... I mean Sean doesn't have any memories of who he is, doesn't know how he gets the tattoos on his body (and apparently can't get access to Google to do a reverse image lookup to find out what they might mean), is being funded by someone through a bakery, and only has vague recollections of where he needs to go that become clearer as he gets closer to them.

Are there two of these Drill-type energy beings -- and the one inhabiting Sean is trying to stop Drill ?

ETA:  I'm still missing the point of Drill injuring and possibly killing the child psychologist.  With the psychologist out of the way, will Minx suddenly believe that Drill is real again ?  Won't the parents just get another child psychologist that will tell Minx that Drill isn't real ?  It really makes no sense other than the fact Drill is just petty and vindictive and wanted to get back at the psychologist for convincing Minx that he's not real -- because petty and vindictive are not character traits you really want in an all-powerful, all-knowing energy being.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

The parents in this show don't supervise their kids much. Kid in car by herself, kid in hospital room alone, deaf kid outside playing behind a tree alone. Geez.

It is nothing out of the ordinary for a parent, who is standing a few feet away, to leave a child in a car. The father was just outside the hospital room and could easily see his daughter through the window, and children often play outside in their own yard by themselves. 

Are we supposed to think that Sean is the one whispering to little children under the identity of Drill?  I think that he's connected to this whole thing, obviously, but I kind of assumed that Sean and Drill are two different...beings?  I could have missed something, though.  And yes, this episode did feel like major filler and I'm quickly losing interest (but will probably continue to watch until it's cancelled because I'm dedicated like that).

My guess is that this being, Drill, is using Sean, as well as the children to accomplish whatever it is he wants to bring about. Sean can do some things that the children cannot. It is almost like Sean is possessed as he seems to do this being's bidding but at the same time is conflicted and fighting it. 

It really makes no sense other than the fact Drill is just petty and vindictive and wanted to get back at the psychologist for convincing Minx that he's not real -- because petty and vindictive are not character traits you really want in an all-powerful, all-knowing energy being.

Could be.

I am enjoying the show and do not feel it is too slowly-paced. I find it suspenseful.

• Love 2

Why did none of Wes' team think something was up with the glitches in the video of the kid blowing up Westlings office ?  Or the fact the kid seemed to keep looking at the security camera in the hallway ?

I know, right?!? I kept expecting them to freeze-frame the glitch because it almost looked like there was a face or something in that split second where the picture goes fuzzy. Meanwhile I couldn't see whatever the hell it was they were looking at - someone coming out of their office? Huh?

I also didn't get where Claire got the intel that Sean was going to this bakery. All of a sudden she was just sitting outside in her car casing the joint. I missed something. And I swear, I'm paying about as much attention to this thing as I can stand. Far more than it merits, that's for sure.

• Love 2

I also didn't get where Claire got the intel that Sean was going to this bakery. All of a sudden she was just sitting outside in her car casing the joint. I missed something

The piece of paper with numbers on it was a receipt from the bakery, that's how Claire knew to go there.

• Love 4

Why did Sean need the doctor to drive him? Has he forgotten how to drive?

I think he needed a free hand for the gun. Plus a hostage.

If Drill really IS a separate entity, alien or whatever, it is certainly a CHILD entity, obnoxious and petty and vindictive.

• Love 1

Why did Sean need the doctor to drive him? Has he forgotten how to drive?

I'm guessing he needed a car and the doctor was the only one he could get keys from. I guess he could have just taken the car by himself, but maybe he figured he would get caught faster if the doctor reported the car stolen. Plus, Drill or some other entity probably told him to do it.

I know, right?!? I kept expecting them to freeze-frame the glitch because it almost looked like there was a face or something in that split second where the picture goes fuzzy. Meanwhile I couldn't see whatever the hell it was they were looking at - someone coming out of their office? Huh?

Ok, thank god I wasn't the only one. I was focused on the kid staring at the camera and then at the wall, and did they not notice the white glare on the bottom right of the screen? I thought they were looking at THAT, not some invisible person going in or out of their office. Although...on rewatch, there is apparently the reflection of a person in...the camera? Or something? Actually, I have it on right now and I've been rewinding the scene. The kid is staring at the wall opposite to the camera, yet there's a reflection in the camera shown on the bottom right. Did the kid see the 'target' coming and then turned around and pretended that he didn't see him? I guess that's what happened. Either way,I just confused myself.

That's what I've been thinking as well -- Drill seems to know everything, and seems to have complete knowledge of who everyone is, where everyone lives, and how to access what he needs to whatever his end game is.  Meanwhile, Peter Petrelll ... I mean Sean doesn't have any memories of who he is, doesn't know how he gets the tattoos on his body (and apparently can't get access to Google to do a reverse image lookup to find out what they might mean), is being funded by someone through a bakery, and only has vague recollections of where he needs to go that become clearer as he gets closer to them.

Are there two of these Drill-type energy beings -- and the one inhabiting Sean is trying to stop Drill ?

ETA:  I'm still missing the point of Drill injuring and possibly killing the child psychologist.  With the psychologist out of the way, will Minx suddenly believe that Drill is real again ?  Won't the parents just get another child psychologist that will tell Minx that Drill isn't real ?  It really makes no sense other than the fact Drill is just petty and vindictive and wanted to get back at the psychologist for convincing Minx that he's not real -- because petty and vindictive are not character traits you really want in an all-powerful, all-knowing energy being.

Man, now that you explain Sean's purpose on the show like that...why can't we get more of HIM uncovering the mystery instead of Agent Lily Rabe, her Ex-Not-Ex Lover and Agent Judgy? And I think you're right; I think there must be another entity other than Drill, one who is actually trying to stop Drill from doing these bad things. I guess Sean is the adults' way of solving whatever this thing is and stopping it.

I think by getting rid of Minx's psychologist, she can't be 'influenced' by another person who is telling her that Drill isn't real. Plus, Drill is the one who is attempting to murder countless adults and has actually gotten innocents killed. 

Ok, I do have to point something out...Henry doesn't look like his parents to me. I think it's the red curly hair that is throwing me off. Is there a throwaway line of Henry being adopted or taking after his grandparents or something? Or is this going to be some sort of clue to the mystery?

At this point, I'm only sticking through this show because of Sean. 

The piece of paper with numbers on it was a receipt from the bakery, that's how Claire knew to go there.

OK, where did she get the receipt from the bakery? It seemed like she was going through some of his stuff, but wouldn't that have been stuff he left behind before he left her three months ago? Or, is the point that he started getting money from this bakery before three months ago when he disappeared? Because I thought the baker lady told Claire he was only in there one month ago.

OK, where did she get the receipt from the bakery? It seemed like she was going through some of his stuff, but wouldn't that have been stuff he left behind before he left her three months ago? Or, is the point that he started getting money from this bakery before three months ago when he disappeared? Because I thought the baker lady told Claire he was only in there one month ago.

The bag that Claire was looking through was the one that Sean/John Doe took from up in the tree and left at the Dr.s' house. We don't know how long he has been in the US, but I guess we can think at least one month.

If he was driving the car, he couldn't make sure that the doctor wouldn't just leg it at some point. If she's driving, he can focus the gun on her.

I was more interested this episode. I don't see how they're going to stretch it out thirteen episodes, either.

Are we supposed to think that Sean is the one whispering to little children under the identity of Drill?  I think that he's connected to this whole thing, obviously, but I kind of assumed that Sean and Drill are two different...beings?  

I was getting a possession vibe, like Drill channels Sean when he needs to use an actual body for something.  

Ok, I do have to point something out...Henry doesn't look like his parents to me. I think it's the red curly hair that is throwing me off. Is there a throwaway line of Henry being adopted or taking after his grandparents or something? Or is this going to be some sort of clue to the mystery?

At this point, I'm only sticking through this show because of Sean. 

This has been bugging me, too.  Henry doesn't look like Claire or Sean or his grandmother.  Although I'm wondering if this show even cares enough about little details like that to bother explaining it.  I'll be surprised if it's part of the plot. 

I'm not sure why I'm watching anymore.  Sean isn't enough to do it for me.  And it's certainly not for Claire or Wes.  Harper is still very annoying and I found it unbelievable that the dad doesn't keep his phone on him instead of leaving it for Harper to intercept messages.  The girl who plays Minx is actually very good (ugh, that name).

I don't get why the doctor was yelling at him NOT to touch the fence when five minutes earlier she was crashing her car to get away from him, but whatever.

Perhaps a combination of reflex and Hippocratic Oath. She probably also didn't want to kill either of them by crashing the car (although that was a possible outcome), but thinks he needs help. Personally, I wouldn't want to see (and smell) a person being barbequed by an electric fence either.

I don't like the Harper actress. Im going to hell. I know.

Wait up, I'm coming with you! Harper comes across as a little psycho without the help of Drill.

The girl who plays Minx is actually very good (ugh, that name).

I'm not a native English speaker, but I've always been under the impression that the meaning of minx wasn't something that you would call a child, so my reaction when first learning her name was WTF.

• Love 3

The parents in this show don't supervise their kids much. Kid in car by herself, kid in hospital room alone, deaf kid outside playing behind a tree alone. Geez.

Do we know how many episodes this is going to be?

Obviously the parents learned how to watch their children from Lori on"The Walking Dead." Carl was never in the house or wherever the hell she thought or said he was.

The bag that Claire was looking through was the one that Sean/John Doe took from up in the tree and left at the Dr.s' house. We don't know how long he has been in the US, but I guess we can think at least one month.

OH. Thank you. (I swear, I'm trying to pay attention, but it's hard.)

Henry doesn't look like Claire or Sean or his grandmother.  Although I'm wondering if this show even cares enough about little details like that to bother explaining it.  I'll be surprised if it's part of the plot. 

They seldom cast children on the basis of whether they could actually pass for the child of the actors hired to be their parents. It's probably more important to get a kid who can act, and behave. If you question it, you're sure to get someone who's going to say they know some kid who looks nothing like their parents because of some recessive gene or blah blah blah DNA cakes. But the reality is, 99 out of 100 times, kids generally look like one of their parents or a combination of both. We're just expected to go along with this kind of think on TV. Siblings rarely look alike either.

• Love 3

Yeah. I'm afraid you did.

Well, I am sorry (and blushing).  I asked hubby about that scene, with the autopsy and the stomach and the paper retrieved from it, and he attributes it to some other show we have seen lately.  Don't know which one, though.

(edited)

Oh don't be sorry or embarrassed. when you watch aIot of TV it can happen. That scenario sounds familiar. I'm sure it's been on quite a few TV shows.

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 1

I know this last Major Crimes they pulled a note out of the victims body. It was a funny scene because Raydor didn't want to touch the note. Can't say I blame her.

That was IT!  Thank you so much, I thought I was losing my mind.  (Ambien sometimes does strange things).

I started out really liking the first episode, but now I'm just kind of getting bored. I'm going to try to stick it out, but I'm hoping it will speed up. I'm finding myself only half paying attention at this point. If it were any longer than 13 episodes, I would have probably relegated it to the scrap heap by now.

• Love 4

They seldom cast children on the basis of whether they could actually pass for the child of the actors hired to be their parents. It's probably more important to get a kid who can act, and behave. If you question it, you're sure to get someone who's going to say they know some kid who looks nothing like their parents because of some recessive gene or blah blah blah DNA cakes. But the reality is, 99 out of 100 times, kids generally look like one of their parents or a combination of both. We're just expected to go along with this kind of think on TV. Siblings rarely look alike either.

I get that. I think it's just so weird and obvious with the fact that Claire has blonde hair and Sean has brown hair and Henry has RED hair. I've kind of accepted it, but it's something that I just had to point out and wonder why. Maybe it was to divert the plot twist from the pilot that Sean is Henry's father? But yeah, it's probably more that they found the best kid actor for the role. 

(edited)

When Sean was in the bathroom shaving and the light started to flicker. He started moving his fingers on his left hand and saying that it was a message and that it said run. It didn't seem to me to be the same thing as when the kids are speaking to Drill. I had thought that it could possibly be Morse code. However I really don't know anything about it. Morse code would explain the finger movements. I just came across this tweet from a few days ago by Milo Ventimiglia that said:

"Our gaffer Mark actually programmed the lights with Morse Code to spell "Run".

HA! I was right!

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 3
(edited)

It didn't seem to me to be the same thing as when the kids are speaking to Drill.

I never noticed that but it would make sense as the kids would have to respond to 'playing games', while Sean would have his own messages communicated a different way to him.

Edited by Free

This episode was kind of filler, wasn't it? I'm even more convinced that what Drill does must include mind control. Otherwise these kids are at the wrong end of the gene pool or psychopaths. The only one who kind of makes sense is Henry because Drill restored his hearing and has not, as yet, asked him to murder a parent or blow up a building. It also explains Sean's behaviour.