Type keyword(s) to search

Season 17 Live Feed Discussion: Watch People Sleep All Day!

• Start Topic

Casting could also be dictated by who is willing to be on the show. We are all aware that one reason why casts tend to run young is because it is easier for younger adults to take three months off. A college student can take a semester off pretty easily. A recent graduate might not have a job or might not have their dream job so quitting is easy enough.

I am always surprised to find folks like Davonne on the show. I can't imagine that leaving your young child for a period of time is easy. I don't remember what her job was but leaving my baby would have been hard as hell. Heck, I am a mother who is thrilled to be working because the idea of being home full time with my little man, who I really do love with all my heart, is enough to drive me to want to drink or think about the 9,000 groups and activities we would be in. I do not have the right mind set to be a stay at home Mom but I can;t imagine being away from my little man for three months. I have always been in awe of the Men and Women int he Armed Forces who are deployed for months to years away from their families, especially the ones with kids.

• Love 1

I get that, in theory, but competitions and immunity are such a huge aspects of this game, it seems ridiculous that literally the most important comp in the entire game is a pure crapshoot. They don't pull that on Survivor. IMO the first 2 rounds should be intellectual type comps and the last round should be a pure "How bad do you want it?" endurance comp. But then that messes up the live comp and eviction that this show loves so much.

I think F4 veto is generally the most important of the season, which is the days comp and requires brains and skill. I'm good with that. 

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I just don't find many of the comps intellectual anyway. You had Steve and Liz both win quizzes by accident. I guess the only way you could make it totally fair would be endurance-puzzle- then something like the days comp that requires memory of actual events and not just minutiae like what color shirt was Liz wearing on day 32.

• Love 1

I think F4 veto is generally the most important of the season, which is the days comp and requires brains and skill. I'm good with that. 

F4 Veto is the most important comp up to that point. But winning the final HOH ensures 2nd or 1st place. You automatically win $50k when you win that last HOH. So, for a $50k comp to be a crapshoot? Meh.

But, regardless, I just need Liz to win this Round 2. If Steve somehow wins this game, after a house full of exceptionally strong and smart women, it'll be one of the biggest disappointments for me as a viewer. I don't even dislike Steve that much, though I find him annoying and strange. I just feel like this is the Season of the Ladies, and I need a girl to win.

• Love 9

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I just don't find many of the comps intellectual anyway. You had Steve and Liz both win quizzes by accident. I guess the only way you could make it totally fair would be endurance-puzzle- then something like the days comp that requires memory of actual events and not just minutiae like what color shirt was Liz wearing on day 32.

Even puzzles aren't necessarily intellectual.  Certain people have a natural affinity for puzzles, just like some have an affinity to win spelling bees.

Intellectual I think is the wrong word. They are basically flip a coin answers. The question isn't "Sally said what she missed the most from home is A) my mom or B) my precious puppy," and you've spent enough time with Sally to know she isn't fond of her dog, so your relationship with Sally would help you. They are questions with two correct answers. There is no way to determine what someone chose or not because no social relationship or studying the memory wall will help you with the correct answer.

I get that they have time constraints, but this requires no skill of any kind. And I disagree with the whole argument that if you've done enough, you shouldn't need to win to get to the finals. The final competition of the season shouldn't be one that could be between the quintessential competitive/social/strategic BB player and a trained chimpanzee, and have it possible for the trained chimpanzee to be the final HoH.

• Love 4

That bit about Austin is exactly why he won't get NEAR B&B, hahahaha. I wonder if he threatened Vanessa first or if he BEGGED, because that makes Johnny Mac's comment about not begging make a lot of sense!

Edited by blixie
  • Love 7

All I really need is for Vanessa to win F3 and she needs to take Steve. She has a much better shot of winning against Steve because she's not only played the better game, but people do genuinely like her more than him. Sure, she's caused some problems with evictions, but I get the feeling these people won't be entirely bitter. They've all said how great of a player Vanessa is, so I think she'd absolutely win over Steve. Liz, however, is trickier, but I do think she would still win. The lines would just be less clear in this case. So, it's actually in Vanessa's best interests to take Steve over Liz. Julia would vote for Vanessa, Austin and Liz would probably vote for Steve, but I do think the rest of the votes would go toward Vanessa. 

I know Steve's not going to win. I like the guy, but I'd rather he didn't win. Between him and Liz, I'd still want Liz to win. I think she was using Austin, at least in the beginning, to get farther and to protect her and her sister. When those lines between faking it and true feelings came about, I'm not sure, but she was using him as a meat shield and it got her and Julia much farther than if she didn't have him. Shelli and Vanessa wanting to protect the twins for numbers helped too. And then Liz won competitions when she knew she needed to. She's played a solid game, even if her personality is unlikeable. 

Steve's played the game too, which is why I'm ok with him still being here. He's won most of the vetos that he needed to when he was on the block, he's now won 3 HOHs (even if his targets haven't gone home) and he managed to latch onto Vanessa, who recognized his outsider status, and he actually did remain fairly loyal until Shelli vs Vanessa, when he was convinced she was going home. He hasn't played the best game out of the three, however, and I don't expect him to win. 

Well I certainly didn't imply he NEEDS to, I simply asked if he's explained it. I read that the girls tried to talk him into taking a sip of champaign and he declined. I find that interesting.

I'm guessing he just doesn't like the taste of alcohol. Personally, I applaud him for being brave enough to stick to his guns, especially being trapped in that house. I also don't like alcohol and I only drink it when I'm around friends, because I feel awkward when I don't. I know Steve has said he's only gotten drunk a couple of times in college and when he goes to parties, he sticks to non-alcoholic drinks and...well, it gave me inspiration to actually give that a try instead of giving into peer pressure, just because all of my own friends drink a lot. 

As for Steve, his "50% acting" line after his DE HOH kind of says it all. Quite a bit of it must be a schtick, but I do think he's genuinely anxious and awkward a lot of the time. He can probably gain some courage in smaller, one-on-one settings, but when he's surrounded by a bunch of people, it might be more difficult. Like I've said before, I understand him on a level that a lot of people don't, and that's ok. I just think that his own morals that he's shown (refusing to say anything racist/homophobic/mean on purpose) and how his intentions aren't actually to hurt people are more important than how he acts and how others feel around him. I do get that he would be annoying and trust me, I don't blame people for not liking him. But if I had a choice between Steve and Austin, or Steve and most of the guys this season, I would most likely rather choose Steve. 

And...speaking of Austin.....oh boy, he is quite the bitter juror, isn't he? Well, at least we know Vanessa won't be getting a unanimous vote! 

• Love 5
I know Steve has said he's only gotten drunk a couple of times in college and when he goes to parties, he sticks to non-alcoholic drinks.... 

It's possible that he promised his parents that he wouldn't drink on national TV.  For Steve, I'd bet a promise is something sacred.  I don't drink alcohol and I would find it silly for someone to say, "Just taste it."  Why?  I just joke and say, "More for you!"

• Love 2

Clearly Julie doesn't like Austin, and who can blame her. Surely Austin only tried this because it wasn't a live eviction. Surely he wouldn't have tried this during a live eviction, right?

He might have had he been truly blindsided.

What I want to know is was he angrily threatening her to try to force her into changing her vote or was he pathetically begging her not to oust him?

• Love 5

It's possible that he promised his parents that he wouldn't drink on national TV. 

Steve has said he doesn't drink alcohol because he doesn't like the taste of it. He said when he's at school and he drinks, he only drinks fireballs bc they get him drunk the fastest without having too drink much.

What I want to know is was he angrily threatening her to try to force her into changing her vote or was he pathetically begging her not to oust him?

I wonder that too. Maybe a combination of both. Maybe that's why Julie asked John that question about being scared of seeing Austin the jury house after blindsiding him.

Just caught the tail end of John's interview with Jeff.

-isn't a fan of the twins

-says Steve and Vanessa deserve F2 over Liz, so that's who he is rooting for

-getting evicted the first time changed his outlook, he didn't care about lying when he came back in

-said he would have evicted Vanessa if he won veto

• Love 5

Clearly Julie doesn't like Austin, and who can blame her.  Surely Austin only tried this because it wasn't a live eviction.  Surely he wouldn't have tried this during a live eviction, right?

Who knows. He could probably convince himself that since the PUBLIC LOVES him AND HE IS SO PERSUASIVE that it would just make him more popular.

• Love 2

I'm guessing he just doesn't like the taste of alcohol. Personally, I applaud him for being brave enough to stick to his guns, especially being trapped in that house. I also don't like alcohol and I only drink it when I'm around friends, because I feel awkward when I don't. I know Steve has said he's only gotten drunk a couple of times in college and when he goes to parties, he sticks to non-alcoholic drinks and...well, it gave me inspiration to actually give that a try instead of giving into peer pressure, just because all of my own friends drink a lot. 

As for Steve, his "50% acting" line after his DE HOH kind of says it all. Quite a bit of it must be a schtick, but I do think he's genuinely anxious and awkward a lot of the time. He can probably gain some courage in smaller, one-on-one settings, but when he's surrounded by a bunch of people, it might be more difficult. Like I've said before, I understand him on a level that a lot of people don't, and that's ok. I just think that his own morals that he's shown (refusing to say anything racist/homophobic/mean on purpose) and how his intentions aren't actually to hurt people are more important than how he acts and how others feel around him. I do get that he would be annoying and trust me, I don't blame people for not liking him. But if I had a choice between Steve and Austin, or Steve and most of the guys this season, I would most likely rather choose Steve. 

I don't have a problem with Steve not drinking either.  I know he gives away his HOH alcohol, but I thought he was just being generous, or it was possible game play.  I just found it interesting that he refused a sip of champagne.  I wondered if he had moral or religious reasons.

I really like Steve, but then I liked Ian, too.  I'm not socially awkward myself, but I can be quite shy and introverted, and I've always been good at reading people's insecurities.  I don't think Steve is faking much at all.  He has nothing to gain by constantly talking to himself (which I do, too - only child syndrome), and his distress when running and telling himself not to go in the storage room was very genuine.

I applaud Steve for his courage to even be on the show.  I think he's handled it much more easily than Ian, who freaked people out by creeping through the house all night.  I'm a lot less generous than you about the people who constantly complain about how "weird" he is.  How the hell is a socially awkward person to improve their social skills if they're constantly mocked and shamed back into their caves?  The assumption that he simply doesn't try hard enough is misguided.  The message is definitely sent that since he makes people "uncomfortable", he should just go away and relieve others of this burden. 

• Love 14

Maybe Julie is just exaggerating what we saw on the show? She's probably barely paying attention most of the time anyway.

• Love 2

Just caught the tail end of John's interview with Jeff.

-isn't a fan of the twins

-says Steve and Vanessa deserve F2 over Liz, so that's who he is rooting for

-getting evicted the first time changed his outlook, he didn't care about lying when he came back in

-said he would have evicted Vanessa if he won veto

John's interview with Jeff was a breath of fresh air when compared to Austin's. John completely admitted that he and Vanessa were constantly playing strategic head games with each other, and they both knew that neither of them had any intention on keeping their promises. But Vanessa got to make the first move because she won the veto. Basically, he knows he got bested, and as a SuperFan he's okay with it. Meanwhile, SuperFan Austin is still crying tears in the jury house, telling everyone who will listen how horrible Vanessa's game is.

It was also interesting to hear John talk about his strategy in the house after he won the Jury comp. He said his goal was to be brutally honest with everyone, and make them think they were the only one he was being honest with, and he just went round and round in circles until it was all a mess.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 1

There are two very long conversations on Jokers, between V and L, reviewing the game, the various plays, the strategies, etc. They are at 8:29 and 10:09.  Interesting reading. 

Thanks to Ceeg for posting that bit about Austin.  Wish we could have seen that!

• Love 2

Btw, everyone is sleeping right now, but it's sort of cute that they're all sleeping together in the purple room? Last night they all decided that they should sleep together. I honestly can't remember if that's a normal F3 thing because I almost always hate everyone by this point, so I never watch the feeds this late in the game.

• Love 3

Btw, everyone is sleeping right now, but it's sort of cute that they're all sleeping together in the purple room? Last night they all decided that they should sleep together.

Even though they're the final 3 and competing for the half-mil, the atmosphere in that house must be so much more pleasant with Austin the delusional, needy, grandiose, whiny bully-baby gone.

• Love 13

Btw, everyone is sleeping right now, but it's sort of cute that they're all sleeping together in the purple room? Last night they all decided that they should sleep together. I honestly can't remember if that's a normal F3 thing because I almost always hate everyone by this point, so I never watch the feeds this late in the game.

Last year they all slept in the Comic Book Room

Most of the last week. I think it's sweet as well.

I'm a little concerned with Vanessa sleeping in Megs bed of doom. Lol!!!

• Love 3

I would totally be the person who was just like, give me my own room back already. I'm tired of you all.

I was going to say that it's cute they're all friends, but then I realized they probably don't want to give each other the chance to have one-on-one conversations at this point! 

Edited by mooses
  • Love 11

Maybe Julie is just exaggerating what we saw on the show? She's probably barely paying attention most of the time anyway.

I think this is true.  The exit sure did not look edited to me... I think we saw all that happened.  It was weird that he sat there for a bit longer than most, but he pissed and moaned his way out eventually.  The actual quote the tweet references is: "I’ve never seen someone almost refuse to leave the house like Austin did.  He sat there in utter disbelief and almost seemed like he was not going to leave. He was trying to get Vanessa to undo her vote. That being said, he pulled it together and was a good interview — honest and calm. Gotta give him credit for that. He was poised."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/17/big-brother-julie-chen-interview-finale

• Love 3

Maybe he was threatening to unleash Judas on her. I so much wish we could have seen this.

• Love 2
was going to say that it's cute they're all friends, but then I realized they probably don't want to give each other the chance to have one-on-one conversations at this point!

LOL, exactly. It's nice, but I'm sure most of it is paranoia at this point. I'd be stalking the other two all the time!

• Love 3

I'm a little concerned with Vanessa sleeping in Megs bed of doom. Lol!!!

LOL that thought crossed my mind too because I'm very superstitious. But, Vanessa's job is done if Liz can win that 2nd Round. 

He was trying to get Vanessa to undo her vote.

That part wasn't shown on the show though. She might be extrapolating on the "refused to leave" part, but from what we saw, he never challenged Vanessa to change her vote or anything like that. 

Pathetically begging would be my bet. We've seen him do it before. God I wish I could have seen that!

• Love 4

I don't know, there was a lot of talk about him being homophobic towards Jason pre-feeds. It was bad enough that it appeared they'd been told by the DR not to openly talk about it. Then there was a lot of Asian cracks towards James. And he also went on a spiel about how wrong it was for black people to vote for Obama just because he's black. Personally, I don't find him above it all morally. 

• Love 2

I don't know, there was a lot of talk about him being homophobic towards Jason pre-feeds. It was bad enough that it appeared they'd been told by the DR not to openly talk about it. Then there was a lot of Asian cracks towards James. And he also went on a spiel about how wrong it was for black people to vote for Obama just because he's black. Personally, I don't find him above it all morally. 

I've heard this only a little bit, and from what I remember, Jason, Vanessa and someone else filled in some of these gaps. Steve questioned some phrasing on a bag, mentioned it a few times and said the homphobic slur, Jason explained how it was homophobic, Steve apologized and that was that. So his intentions to be homophobic were not there; he said something offensive, Jason told him how it was offensive and Steve apologized and even asked anyone if he said anything of that nature, to tell him and he'll correct himself. And we haven't heard him say a homophobic thing while the feeds have been on. Racist, yes. He has said some pretty racist things. But his intentions aren't to hurt. He says he doesn't understand social and emotional cues, and that he has asked people to tell him when he's doing something wrong. That means more to me than people who say racist things and are somewhat aware, and then continue to do it. Or even people who aren't aware of their racial tendencies, are told and then don't apologize (like Aaryn).

There's this saying I heard from a friend once. Unfortunately, I can't quite remember the exact wording. But we learn from our environment and from people around us, so people who grow up around others who say homophobic/racist things are more inclined to repeat those kinds of words. But it's realizing that it's wrong and correcting yourself when you do that is important. Steve has shown no intention to be blatantly racist. Of course he needs to be told that he's said some racist things. But I've seen no indication that he would be vindictive and continue saying these things after he's made aware. And that is the difference between someone like himself, and someone like Caleb.

I don't think anyone is above anything morally. No, of course not. But I think he's a better person than people online make him out to be because he owns up when he's being told and explained how he's wrong. That's what I see, personally.  

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 6

Also, Vanessa says she's a lone wolf. DRINK!

Before the feeds came back on after Vanessa won the veto, John apparently went to Vanessa with a final 2 deal. He even came up with a name for their Final 2, "the Lone Wolves". Vanessa told Steve and Liz that while it was a good name, ultimately it was an oxymoron because if you're a lone wolf you can't join a pack.

• Love 2

I've heard this only a little bit, and from what I remember, Jason, Vanessa and someone else filled in some of these gaps. Steve questioned some phrasing on a bag, mentioned it a few times and said the homphobic slur, Jason explained how it was homophobic, Steve apologized and that was that. So his intentions to be homophobic were not there; he said something offensive, Jason told him how it was offensive and Steve apologized and even asked anyone if he said anything of that nature, to tell him and he'll correct himself.

One incident involved charades. When Jason got up to act out his, Steve said something like "obviously gay". Then claimed it was a reference to a past houseguest. 

Anyway, Jason mentioned on Twitter that Steve made a few other inappropriate comments that him and Audrey know about but didn't tell anyone.

• Love 1
That bit about Austin is exactly why he won't get NEAR B&B, hahahaha.

Oh yes. Given who Julie's married to and what he's said about his disappointment with some of this year's houseguests, I think this is telling. She probably wouldn't have said anything if she maybe wasn't sending a message. Too bad it'll be a while before Austin sees it.

Maybe Julie is just exaggerating what we saw on the show? She's probably barely paying attention most of the time anyway

I watch the The Talk often and Julie is very careful about what she says on air. I think perhaps it's partly because people might wrongly assume she's speaking for her husband when she might not be. Even if she didn't see all of Austin's misbehavior herself, BB production staff would have and probably told her either via her earpiece or after the taping. I think she likely wouldn't have tweeted anything if it wasn't true; there's no reason for someone in her position to make herself look clueless for no reason.

• Love 3

Her comment about not needing a man was in relation to the game. Not her personal life. She meant that Liz doesn't need Austin to carry her to the end or to win comps or to hide behind. That Liz is a strong woman and she can win this game on her own.

And yet she has told Steve/John that Liz's comp wins don't count and she doesn't deserve to win. Yea yea yea, it's all gameplay, but it's the kinda gameplay I don't respect.

Since the only person I want to see win is Liz and she has no chance at all of winning, I hope Steve wins final HOH so we can see whether or not he'd actually go through with booting Vanessa.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

Vanessa told Steve and Liz that while it was a good name, ultimately it was an oxymoron because if you're a lone wolf you can't join a pack.

Hee I would assume this is a J Mac reference to Alan from the Hangover's one man wolf pack. I was alone, but then there were two of us....in my pack. 

It's not clear to me whether Julie is insinuating more went down than was shown, but again Johnny Brak's weird pointed I'm not gonna beg bit (certainly Van wasn't looking for him to), feels like it was shade thrown at Austin, having begged Van to change her vote and BB to give the vote a do over. 

Yea, he won't vote for her anyway, so she doesn't care lol. It's nice little karma for John's dickish goodbye to Julia.

John seems to have let 'fame' go to his head already and he doesn't even know he's America's Fave yet. Although Production might've hinted it to him.

I can't wait for Vanessa's F2 speech. If her John goodbye is any indication she is gonna keep up her bullshit and I will laugh so hard.

• Love 1

I've never been Steve's biggest fan, but now I'm actively rooting for him to lose because of the odd maniacal glee he's seemed to take (from descriptions and on the show) from wanting to evict Vanessa. Vanessa may be the most emotional, unstable mess there is, but I've never heard it recapped or seen it on the show that she looks forward to evicting someone with that kind of...personal zeal. It's all game moves with her. She makes deals, not friendships. She doesn't seem to relish stabbing people in the back or get some kind of high off of it. Players like that sort of make me uncomfortable.

I get that it's his one and only move, but that also means he's kind of a terrible strategist. Why not evict Liz and play up that you booted the twins when no one else could? Or that it was your move splitting up Liz and Julia that even allowed Vanessa to backdoor Austin in the first place? Or mention your comp wins are nearly equal to Vanessa's? Or something.

But I get the feeling that his F2 speech will be basically "I evicted Vanessa! ME! ME! ME!" and if that's the case, I hope Liz is the first woman in Big Brother history to beat a dude.

I've seen and read about Steve practicing his speech to boot Vanessa. It's a bit obnoxious. But here's my question - has he actually made it "personal"? Has he called her a bitch or any other names? Has he said she has it coming? Has he said he hopes she cries, and how awesome it will be to see her so upset? Has he done anything other than completely geek over the thought of booting the biggest player in the game?

Vanessa absolutely has not made it personal, except when she cried and guilted others about all the horrible things they did to her, but that was just her playing the game. These people are simply skittles to her. Good on her.

For Steve, I see it also as kind of impersonal, but in an extremely geeky way. He is the ultimate fanboy. All season long he has geeked out over the contests, the staple BB "things", he's done the 'talking to the camera' thing I'm sure he loved watching as a feed watcher. He's going into this show as a feed watcher, and playing to feed watchers. As a feed watcher, he probably would love to see someone blindside Vanessa (Lord knows this feed watcher does), and he thinks he's giving us this great TV. Also, he thinks it could help him win $500k, which is kind of the point.

Sorry about saying 'feed watcher' 18 times. As you can see, I am also a huge geek.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that I have found nothing personal or skeevy about him practicing his speech. I don't think he'll have the courage to actually make the speech, even if he finds himself in that position, but I can't quite hate on him for daydreaming about that moment - taking the biggest player of the season out of the game. I'm not trying to say he's some great guy, but I do think he has a genuine connection with Vanessa, I think he truly likes her and would want to stay friends with her outside of the house. But I think he really wants to have his "Big Brother Moment" and be the one to boot her. Those two things can co-exist.

• Love 12

I have a feeling Steve practices his speeches because he's not a naturally quick and articulate speaker, especially in tense situations. He needs time to think things through in advance, otherwise he gets flustered and trips over his words. He did great with his speech last week when he was on the block and had time to rehearse it in advance. The surprise eviction this week, not so much. He'll probably do fine in a final jury speech if he has time to practice it. I can relate... my thoughts flit through my brain so fast I often sound like an idiot when I'm put the spot, but do fine when I can write things out or have time to think it through before responding. I don't think it's personal or arrogant, just something you learn to do when you aren't a great speaker.

• Love 7

I know Jason seems to have been particularly critical of the twins but I really hope he gets extra time on finale night to shut down Austin once and for all. This way he can get his own back against all three and many of us will be satisfied by that.

Edited by TimWil

I think Steve's big "secret" is that he's only 18 or 19, and not 22 years old as stated on his bio. It would explain why he doesn't drink (though he surely owes no one any explanation on that) and also his childish habits...a geeky teenager not yet grown enough to suppress the urge to cry, vomit and beg for hugs. An immature 18-year old, at that.

I noticed after John's eviction, when they were pouring champagne, Steve did a very fake "drink" from his glass with the oddest expression on his face, as if he were trying to make sure at least two cameras "caught" him NOT actually drinking.

The kid gets on my nerves but still, I think he's just young...too young for this show, as it turns out.

I could, of course, be entirely wrong.

• Love 4

I have a feeling Steve practices his speeches because he's not a naturally quick and articulate speaker, especially in tense situations. He needs time to think things through in advance, otherwise he gets flustered and trips over his words. He did great with his speech last week when he was on the block and had time to rehearse it in advance. The surprise eviction this week, not so much. He'll probably do fine in a final jury speech if he has time to practice it. I can relate... my thoughts flit through my brain so fast I often sound like an idiot when I'm put the spot, but do fine when I can write things out or have time to think it through before responding. I don't think it's personal or arrogant, just something you learn to do when you aren't a great speaker.

I agree. I think he just wants to have a prepared speech in case he gets to boot Vanessa. He probably speaks it out loud because he can't write it down and practice (and auditory learning can actually help a lot with memorization) and he doesn't want to fumble over his words. I also have to write down things when I have presentations and speeches, and I can't rely on improvisation in order to not sound like an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about because of being flustered. Maybe it is a little bit of arrogance that Steve assumes he'll boot Vanessa. But at least, if it does happen, he'll be prepared. And if not, oh well.

• Love 3