Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)

You never know what might happen.  Paul George might get traded or decide to go play for the Celtics (I mention him just because he is the most prominent FA that obviously seems to want a  change) along with Gordon Hayward.  Or maybe George goes to the spurs.  Maybe Anthony Davis makes a change to a contender.  Green, Durant, Steph or Klay might decide they want more money or more prominence and leave. 

However it is hard to see a scenario where if KD, steph, klay and green stay together the warrriors don't dominate for the next 5 years.  Barring injury. 

The only thing interesting at this point in the finals is if GS goes 16-0 or not. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
(edited)
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'll join you in that weirdness because I would love to see this guy negotiating for the Lakers. "You're killing your father Larry!"

I don't think that's a fair characterization. If anything, it's the Cavs, with LeBron's insistence, who have tried to buy a championship. They have the highest payroll in the league because LeBron wielded his opt out clause like a freakin' vorpal sword over Griffin and Gilbert to keep them spending money.

Golden State had a combination of luck and planning that allowed them to managed their cap in a totally different way that allowed them to sign KD. All of their best players way outperformed their draft position and Curry had an ankle injury that limited his bargaining power going into his first free agent contract. It will be interesting to see how they move forward as everyone wants to get paid.

You can't blame either team for what they did.

The fact is the NBAs rules on contracts and the cap make it possible to build a team like this that dominates all comers.

If the NBA had a more tightly controlled cap, or if it was possible to pay players like LeBron, Durant and Curry a salary that more accurately represented their ability when compared to their fellow players this probably wouldn't happen.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Every team essentially buys their way to a championship. It's been like that since free agency, and they even made the Larry Bird exception for it. That still doesn't necessarily guarantee success, but neither of these teams are the first to nor will they be the last. 

• Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You never know what might happen.  Paul George might get traded or decide to go play for the Celtics (I mention him just because he is the most prominent FA that obviously seems to want a  change) along with Gordon Hayward.  Or maybe George goes to the spurs.  Maybe Anthony Davis makes a change to a contender.  Green, Durant, Steph or Klay might decide they want more money or more prominence and leave. 

However it is hard to see a scenario where if KD, steph, klay and green stay together the warrriors don't dominate for the next 5 years.  Barring injury. 

I actually heard a report that Paul George and Gordon Hayward liked each other and might want to play together.I also read reports about Chris Paul possibly being interested in the Spurs.  I am interested in seeing what happens with these guys.

I honestly hope one of these younger teams  like (The Bucks, T-Wolves/Philly) start to click and can eventually be a threat. The Bucks have really good young talent (Giannis is Great) and length and I could see them developing into something special.  Especially if Jabari can come back healthy. The T-Wolves played a lot of close games last year but haven't quite figured out to win yet. It probably won't happen, but I think that Lonzo could fit in well with that young T-Wolves team. I think he could work well for them at the point guard position (and they have been looking to move past Rubio). And I thought Philly looked better last year and was more competitive. 

Edited by Jx223

Isn't buying a championship what any team in any sport is supposed to do if they have the $$$, to try and get the best players?  I don't get the knock on the Warrriors.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Eh, at least KD will get his ring. He's busted his butt and deserves it. I won't be watching it, though- sick of all the preening the Warriors do every time I attempt to watch a bit of the first two game. Plus, I want to throw Curry's mouth guard into the stratosphere so I never have to see that disgusting thing again.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Isn't buying a championship what any team in any sport is supposed to do if they have the $$$, to try and get the best players?  I don't get the knock on the Warrriors.  

It is, and the Warriors shouldn't be knocked for doing it, and neither should the Cavs. They are both doing exactly what they are supposed to do, trying their hardest to win a championship while obeying the league's rules.

I blame the league itself. It's their responsibility to foster a competitive sport, and they have been failing, for decades.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, twoods said:

Eh, at least KD will get his ring. He's busted his butt and deserves it.

I don't watch the NBA all the time these days, but Kevin Durant is amazing, and he's been my favorite for quite some time.  He played his heart out for OKC and I don't get all the hostility.  I remember him visiting Moore after the terrible tornado there and I believe he made a large donation to help the people.

Anyway, I really hope everything goes as planned and he gets the ring.  He's been incredible.  People act like he broke his contract or something, he was a free agent and went with a great team that is having a great playoff.  Good for him and them.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

I blame the league itself. It's their responsibility to foster a competitive sport, and they have been failing, for decades.

Is it though? In the 60s, Boston won like all the time. The 70s was more diverse, but still only a handful of teams. We probably all know the 80s were Boston/LA, then Detroit, then the Bulls, Houston twice, the Spurs and Miami, and now GS and Cleveland. All leagues want the rise and fall of dynasties. Granted, both of these teams rolled through the playoffs this year and I get that the league might want each series to be more competitive, but I don't think 3 more years of these teams in the finals is going to hurt anything. 

13 hours ago, twoods said:

Eh, at least KD will get his ring. He's busted his butt and deserves it. I won't be watching it, though- sick of all the preening the Warriors do every time I attempt to watch a bit of the first two game. Plus, I want to throw Curry's mouth guard into the stratosphere so I never have to see that disgusting thing again.

I want to take that goddamned mouth guard and bludgeon him with it. Either keep it in your mouth or don't wear it. Christ.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

David West is really the one that glommed onto the Warriors for a ring. 

KD is at least a bit contributor and has made them better.

ANd I like David West.  A solid player for many years. 

David West along with Matt Barnes would be like the only two Warriors I would be happy for if the Warriors won the Championship. The rest of them, No, lol.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, roseha said:

Anyway, I really hope everything goes as planned and he gets the ring.  He's been incredible.  People act like he broke his contract or something, he was a free agent and went with a great team that is having a great playoff.  Good for him and them.

I don't get it either. To me, it's like telling an Alabama recruit they took the east way out by signing with a school who's a perennial Championship contender. Isn't it common sense to put yourself in a position where you'll best succeed? How is it any different than us regular folks who might take a new job because it afforded us more money and better opportunity for growth? I think the fans get a little ridiculous with this weird sense of ownership they have over certain players. 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

The first 2 games have been the most watched since Jordan's last championship in '98.

http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/NBA-Finals-ratings-highest-since-Jordan-s-last-11197605.php 

I wonder how many of those people are watching all the way through.

I've watched parts of the first two games, but once Golden State pulls away into the 15-20 point range I usually check out and go do something else.

Here's a question I came up with last season that you might like to ponder. What's the best team you could assemble from every player in history following this rule: You can choose the best player from any NBA team in history from a specific year, the second best player from any team, etc. Players are as they are in the year that you choose, so if you chose Gary Payton from the 2004 Lakers as your 4th best player, it'd be old Gary Payton and not prime Gary Payton. 

I bring this up because it occurred to me that two of this year's Warriors may be good picks for such a team. Whomever you think is the 2nd best player between Durant and Curry would be a good candidate. (There's a little subjectivity in play here.) Would you choose 2017 Durant or Curry over, say Scottie Pippen or young Kobe?  And Klay Thompson might be a choice for 4th or 5th best player depending if you put Iguadala over him or not.

One possible starting 5:

1. 1991 Michael Jordan, SG
  2. 2017 Kevin Durant, PF
  3. 1981 Robert Parish, C (Some might say Jabbar, but from the stats it seems he's the 2nd best player on the Lakers over Worthy for a while before his game falls off abruptly. Same with David Robinson. Maybe there's a Bill Russell year where he's 3rd best on the team.)
  4. 1986 Dennis Johnson, PG
  5. 2005 Bruce Bowen, SF

What would your team look like?

(edited)

Very tough loss for the Cavs. LeBron and Kyrie had great games JR showed up and Kevin Love/Richard Jefferson were hustling. But GS still managed to get the win. I think what hurt the Cavs is that they couldn't were struggling offensively in the 1st half, especially the second quarter. They missed a lot of shots and couldn't capitalize on the Warriors also missing a lot of shots. If they had played a little better offensively in the second quarter, I believe they could have gotten this win.

I really do not want to see them get swept on their home floor, but that's what it looks like going to happen. Unless LeBron/Kyrie go off again and they get more offensive help from their teammates. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm really going to be sick right now. I'm too pissed off right now to vomit. The Cavaliers actually showed up in the 2nd Half for a change & they found a way to piss it away in the last 3 minutes. Freaking Durant (once again) found a way to lead those Warriors to victory, Klay Thompson got going, & Stephen Curry being his usual self. Plus, the Cavaliers miss some shots in the 4th Quarter that really hurt us. 

Overall, this loss is vomit-inducing & this series is over. Game 4 is going to be absolute suck-fest. Watching Game 4 will be like watching Darth Vader do his victory lap.

Edited by Magog
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Magog said:

I'm really going to sick right now. I'm too pissed off right now to vomit. The Cavaliers actually showed up in the 2nd Half for a change & they found a way to piss it away in the last 3 minutes. Freaking Durant (once again) found a way to lead those Warriors to victory, Klay Thompson got going, & Stephen Curry being his usual self. Plus, the Cavaliers miss some shots in the 4th Quarter that really hurt us. 

Overall, this loss is vomit-inducing & this series is over. Game 4 is going to be absolute suck-fest. 

I definitely give the Cavs credit for how well they played in the second half, especially Kyrie. But I do think that how they played in the second quarter ended up hurting them. The Warriors didn't play that well in the 2nd quarters and the Cavs couldn't take advantage of that. I think if they could have been better offensively in the 1st half (especially second quarter), they could have won this game. Plus, Kyle Korver kept missing 3s including critical ones down the stretch. The Cavs really haven't been playing that well as a whole offensively in this series (outside of the second half tonight) and that has definitely hurt them. I am disappointed with how this series has gone. These playoffs have been mostly awful. 

Edited by Jx223

Durant really wants this. Watching that last minute and a half was unreal. I knew that when hubby turned on the game and the Cavs had a 4 point lead they would still be done. Too bad- good season for them.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, twoods said:

Durant really wants this. Watching that last minute and a half was unreal. I knew that when hubby turned on the game and the Cavs had a 4 point lead they would still be done. Too bad- good season for them.

Yeah and Klay also quietly had a good game. He had like 30 points. It didn't seem like he played that well but he did. And Steph was out rebounding everyone, with like 13 rebounds.The Cavs really should not have let him grab all those rebounds.  I know that the Warriors are great team but I still felt like the Cavs were too good to get swept.

I know they aren't the best defensive team, but I thought they would have at least performed better offensively in this series (even against the Warriors defense). But outside of the second half tonight most of their players haven't contributed much at all and I think that has made a big difference in this series. If more players had made shots, I don't think this series would be a sweep. I am interested in seeing what changes the Cavs might make in this offseason to try and improve their roster.

Edited by Jx223

I really thought based on the 3rd the Cavs would take this. The last 5 mins of the 4th were just horrible by the Cavs.

Wow, GSW may sweep them and keep their winning streak. 

Yikes...

Talk about cutting out the Cavs heart and putting it on a skewer.

Forget  a 73-9 regular season , going 16-0 and sweeping Lebron and company would be the most impressive accomplishment of them all.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Saying that GS has been buying their way into a championship made me burst out laughing and it's insulting to the actual talent, chemistry, and good leadership that defines the Warriors and their success.

I don't think the Warriors bought a title Three of their four best players were drafted Kevin Durant was the most important free agent. I have no idea how the Cavs  will be motivated to win Friday night.

That was the Cavs best chance to win and they blew it. 

Green again in foul trouble.  Kyrie and Lerbon both score about 40.  GS was missing shots most of second half.

And they still lost. 

Now its basically GS vs history in Game 4. 

Yeah, absolute theft by the Warriors last night.

I have to say I'm generally kind of rooting for the Warriors over the Cavs, but their offense wasn't aesthetically pleasing in the late going. It was D'Antoni ball.  Immediate pull up 3 pointers with no semblance of an organized offense. And it worked.

LeBron played 46 of 48 minutes, and had a +/- of +7 while he was on the floor.  That meant the Cavs were -12 when he was on the bench. For two minutes!

Time to engineer another LeBrexit?

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed tonight's game. It had a lot of interesting things going on, including players getting chippy with each other and fans, and refs changing switching/over foul calls, the highest scoring half etc...  It was a great game by the Cavs. I am glad they came out firing tonight and ended up playing well. I am glad that they did not get swept on their home floor and that this series will be extended. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

Damon Green elbowing Shumpert and his mother  tweets that the officiating is rigged?

Do the Warriors offer tweet classes to family members?  Between her & Alicia Curry last year, it's ridiculous!

Glad the Cavs' 3-pointers started falling in again.  

VERY GLAD the Warriors didn't sweep!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

As someone indifferent to the outcome of the series, the highlight for me was seeing a rich guy getting booted from his pricey courtside seats.

I still don't understand what happened with the phantom technical.

• Love 1

Last night was an interesting game, everyone seemed on edge. The players, refs, Jeff Van Gundy. lol His rant about Khloe's curse was stupid and not needed on air.

The whole Green 2nd technical was confusing. Not even the announcers understood what was going on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Where in the hell was this performance in the first 3 games? They came out like gangbusters (scoring 49 points in the 1st & 86 points at halftime) & somehow kept those Warriors at bay. They also showed some fight in them that was sorely lacking in the first 2 games & in the last 3 minutes of game 3. I have to honest. I was very surprised about this performance. Thankfully, it didn't turn out to be a nightmare like I thought it would be & stave off Darth Vader's victory lap for one night. 

I'm happy about the win, but they need to show some more of this fighting spirit in Game 5 on Monday Night. 

ESPN had to be pissed that they didn't get to witness history (16-0 in the NBA Playoffs) last night & that their Warriors didn't get the sweep. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

It's Ayesha Curry. At least get her name right if you're going to continue bringing her up.

Thank you for correcting me, but stop doing so damn pissy at Cavs fans, please!  For some reason every post abt Cavs fans is filled with vitriol! 

• Love 2

Cavs were just hitting everything last night from outside. 

The refs called this game differently from the first 3 though. I thought the first 3 they were being pretty good about letting both teams play.  Last night in the first quarter they were calling everything.  22 foul shots in a quarter for one team?  I've never seen that before. 

Also they call Ts on Green much quicker than any other player.  Lebron runs after the refs and complains after half the calls on Cleveland.  At the end of game 3 after a call he slammed the ball into the ground.  No calls, no T on him. 

But last night was just about the Cavs playing better and shooting better. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Magog said:

ESPN had to be pissed that they didn't get to witness history (16-0 in the NBA Playoffs) last night & that their Warriors didn't get the sweep. 

ESPN wants seven games. They loved last night's result.

• Love 4

I didn't think the knee was as bad as others were saying last night, but what is it about GS and their opponents' genitalia?!?!?  It has gotten so you have to wear a cup to play them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Last night was an interesting game, everyone seemed on edge. The players, refs, Jeff Van Gundy. lol His rant about Khloe's curse was stupid and not needed on air.

I only watched until the Black Panther trailer aired, which was enough to guarantee the Cavs win*, but what was this?  Are the ABC guys on the Kardashian payroll now?  Sports curses are nothing new.  Talk about something else ABC.

*I generally have no interest in the Big 4 American sports these days but still have residual affection for some teams and, unfortunately, am bad luck when watching.  This is why I haven't watched a single second of the Stanley Cup because I want Nashville to lose (let's be honest) on their own merits and not because of me.  The Warriors would have won if I'd waited for the trailer to show up online.

(edited)
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Thank you for correcting me, but stop doing so damn pissy at Cavs fans, please!  For some reason every post abt Cavs fans is filled with vitriol! 

Are you talking about me? I barely talk in this forum and I don't think the Cavs are even worth wasting enough breath to shit on. I'm not the one paying attention to what everyone and their mom tweets or bitching about every little foul. You may have me confused with someone else? You should take a look at all your own posts where even during non-GS games you've found a way to crap all over them with your irrational hate. :) or maybe it's a tag team effort with Magog, they're pretty funny too with the over-the-top hate.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, xaxat said:

As someone indifferent to the outcome of the series, the highlight for me was seeing a rich guy getting booted from his pricey courtside seats.

I still don't understand what happened with the phantom technical.

Apparently that guy is friends with Lebron's agent. And his dad was ejected during an Eastern conference finals game last year. It runs in the family! 

6 hours ago, Artsda said:

Seriously, I wanted to throat punch him for taking time away from the game to defend Khloe and her trashbag family. Note to Jeff, the reason LeBron's wife isn't blamed for losses is because she's not a self-promoting famewhore who uses relationships to squeak every drop of free publicity out of them that she can. Believe me, Khloe loves every second people spend talking about her, whether it's good or bad. Bringing up some alleged "curse" was completely unnecessary.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

ESPN wants seven games. They loved last night's result.

Agreed. 16-0 for me was as special as 19-0 in 2007. Historic but not a big deal. Sorta like a perfect bid in TPIR showcase when the bonus is as great but not better than winning both showcases being $250 away sans going over.  It's all about the title

Anyway, ESPN wants as many games as possible, just like NBC & the NHL want as many games for the Cup run.  $$$ is key; it's a shame Cleveland blew Game 3 since this would have been a series heading toward a best of 3 case had the Cavs held serve on Wednesday. Personally, I think Golden State got a little lucky in the West final. They probably still win, but not in 4 games

Now that 16-0 isn't happening, I guess the only interesting thing left will be whether the Warriors outdo themselves last year.  I'd be rather shocked, and they'd become tragic figures for sure if Cleveland won the series.  Really think it's GSW to lose, be it Monday or Thursday

11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I only watched until the Black Panther trailer aired, which was enough to guarantee the Cavs win*, but what was this?  Are the ABC guys on the Kardashian payroll now?  Sports curses are nothing new. 

It was ridiculous, he went off defending Khloe about how she deserved an apology because Cav fans blamed her curse. How nobody blames other players gf's or wives when they don't do well and she doesn't deserve it. All while showing her and her family in the stands. I guess ABC wants ratings off them.

Jeff Van Gundy obviously didn't read the quotes directly from James Harden on how her lifestyle affected his work ethic and brought unnecessary distractions. It was the same with Lamar etc..

The whole topic of her and showing them all was so far from needed. It should be about the teams and the game they are playing.

• Love 5
On 6/8/2017 at 11:34 AM, Fukui San said:

LeBron played 46 of 48 minutes, and had a +/- of +7 while he was on the floor.  That meant the Cavs were -12 when he was on the bench. For two minutes!

Time to engineer another LeBrexit?

Not sure, but these games have really exposed the Cavs. Yes, KD and the rest of the Warriors are amazing, but what's even more clear is that aside from LeBron and Kylie, the rest of the Cavs are trash. 

Last year, the Cavs had significant contributions from Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, Jefferson, and even JR Smith. Where have these guys been during these Finals?

And I am I wrong for saying that I can't get excited about the Warriors? Sure, they've been playing lights-out basketball and winning games, but something about their style of play makes me shrug. Except for Kevin Durant, but he's always been an exciting player. Have I gotten spoiled by Curry's long 3-pointers? Do I need my point guards to make more great passes, ala Chris Paul or Isaiah Thomas? I'm not sure. But I know I'm not giving the  Warriors the credit they deserve for being a great team. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Last year, the Cavs had significant contributions from Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, Jefferson, and even JR Smith. Where have these guys been during these Finals?

Um....are you watching this years Fnals, or last years?

i take offense that Kevin Love isn't producing.  In this year's Finals, he's scored:  15, 27, 9, 23.  He was even more prolific during the first 3 rounds.  Last year he struggled.  He got a concussion in G2, sat out G3, wasn't himself in Gs 4&5, and only had 11 or 9 in G7, but he had 14 rebounds and played awesome defense.

Kyrie, OTOH, has been great in the Finals, yes, but he was quiet in the first three rounds.

I do agree that JR, Tristan and Jefferson have been too quiet.  Jefferson I give some slack, due to his age.  He was going to retire, but we (the Cleveland fans), convinced him to stay one more year.

I am honestly not excited in the least bit by the Warriors winning. Granted I didn't want them to win, but regardless I don't think this win was exciting. They did win though and Kevin Durant played very well. I definitely think he will get the finals MVP. And his mom seems like a sweet person.

I appreciate LeBron fighting to the end and JR's Smith's effort tonight. Maybe the Cavs will regroup and perform better as a whole if they make the finals against he Warriors next year. 

• Love 3

Warriors:Too much firepower.  

Once the refs couldn't give the Cavs 23 free throws in the 1st qtr it was over.  That run the Warriors  did to put distance between them and the Cavaliers was amazing.

16-1 playoff run with the one loss coming at 15-0?

Yeah, I'm good with placing the Warriors up there with the greatest teams in NBA history.

• Love 2
(edited)

Woohoo!! I think I'll actually be able to attend the parade this year. In 2015 I was up at 4am in Greece with my dad and we were constantly refreshing our phones during the last game. This is a great early birthday present to my dad. :)

Also, did anyone else catch this? "Techincal" fouls? :P

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.59.20 PM.png

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1