Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Another day, another butt whooping by the Cavaliers. The winning streak is nice, but it means nothing if they're not holding that NBA trophy at the end. I'm just hoping that they'll be ready by the time the Golden State Warriors comes around. Somebody needs to put Stephen Curry in his place. 

I am so disappointed that the Lakers got the 2nd pick & the Celtics got the 3rd pick. I want both of those teams to stay down for a long while. The thought of Ben Simmons (LSU) going to the Lakers makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by Magog
(edited)

Toronto played a good game tonight, especially DeMar DeRozan and Bismack Biyombo. Bismack did a really good job getting 26 rebounds, he was putting in a lot of work at the rim. I was glad to see Toronto be more competitive tonight and get a win.

Also, lol at the way LeBron flopped when Tristian Thompson hit him. He does exaggerate with his flops quite a bit. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

DAMNIT!

We can't even tie a record.  I would've given the Raptors a game or two, if they would give us SOMETHING to cheer abt.  Just in case they lose in the Finals.

It sucks being a Cleveland sports fan.

(edited)

YES! My Raps won a game! Super happy that they aren't getting swept, especially after pretty much every sports authority (including several Canadian ones) predicted Cavs in 4 straight. 

Awesome to see some resilience after the Cavs dummied them in two straight in Cleveland. Well you ain't in Cleveland no more, welcome to the 6 Lebron! Great games from DeRozan and Biyombo, flashing that Mutombo finger wag in Kyrie's face.

I hope they can carry this intensity to Game 4. I still expect the Cavs to win the series (how could you not?), but if the Raps could push and give 'em a little scare and a taste of adversity that'd be just wonderful.

LET'S GO RAPTORS!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Maximum Taco said:

I still expect the Cavs to win the series (how could you not?)

You gotta believe Maximum Taco! You gotta believe!

• Love 2

After last night's game, I don't think the Cavs are all that...go Raptors! And of course tonight we will see what the western conference is made of - I think if the Warriors can pull a win off tonight then we are looking good for the conference championship in 5 or 6, and it would be so much more fun to play the Raptors instead of another final with Cleveland (I really don't like LeBron and his diving ways and his incredible sense of entitlement).

• Love 1

Entitlement?!

Stephan Curry is more entitled than LeBron. He's  talented punk.

I'm still not on the LeBron bandwagon - unless he brings us a championship - but LeBron has done MORE for his Akron/Cleveland community, than a 100 other players combined.

• Love 1
(edited)

OKC played a fantastic game tonight. They were in a great rhythm and things kept going well for them.I like the way the players on that team hustled tonight. That one rebound Russ got in the game was a "grown man" rebound, lol. I love how aggressive he is.  I also liked that really strong dunk Ibaka had in the first half.   

Also, ouch to Steven Adams getting kicked hard in the groin by Draymond Green. That definitely looked painful. Steven has been getting banged up all throughout this series but he has hung in there. 

I could definitely see this series going to seven, with both of the teams going back and forth having and giving good performances. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I would love to see OKC give another butt whooping or two, but likely the next few games will be very close or Warrior blowouts. They sure did give their fans a show! KG looks very determined and I have never seen him look like this in the playoffs. He is playing on another level and I hope he keeps it up.

• Love 1
(edited)

DAMNIT!

We can't even tie a record.  I would've given the Raptors a game or two, if they would give us SOMETHING to cheer abt.  Just in case they lose in the Finals.

It sucks being a Cleveland sports fan.

We just had a bad night. The streak is bound to end sooner or later. I'm still very confident. Stuff happens & I'm not at all worried. If this was against the Golden State Warriors, then I will be worried. Hopefully, we will get it together tonight.

Speaking of the Warriors, there goes my prediction of them winning the series in 5 games.

Edited by Magog

Full disclosure - I'm a completely biased, OKC born and raised, hard core Thunder fan.  That said, I think this just might be our year.  Against the odds, I'm taking the Thunder in 6 - in the Conference finals, 6 in the finals.  Wishful thinking?  Sure.  I also happen to believe it.  Tomorrow night will really tell the tale for how this whole shootin' match is going to play out, I think.  I really respect the Warriors - they are insanely good.  Tomorrow night is a scary one.  It's gonna take lights out playing by the Thunder (a straightjacket on Curry wouldn't hurt...) but OKC is hangry.  If they can keep their shit together, they can take this.  Thunder up, boys.

• Love 1

Total crap that Jones is suspended a game while Green isn't.  It was so clearly an intentional kick.  Way to go, league.  I hope the Thunder pick an important player to take him out.  Apparently the league will let it go if the name is big enough.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Total crap that Jones is suspended a game while Green isn't.  It was so clearly an intentional kick.  Way to go, league.  I hope the Thunder pick an important player to take him out.  Apparently the league will let it go if the name is big enough.

The league is just total BS.

Watching the Raps/Cavs game and the Raps, who made it to the line the 3rd most times in the regular season, made it to the line 0 times in the first half. Cleveland didn't even get a foul called against them in the 1st quarter. I'm admittedly biased towards the Raptors, but I hope anyone can see that this officiating is just ridiculous and deliberately biased towards the Cavs tonight. 

League is obviously trying to hand the Finals to Lebron and Curry.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3

I'm admittedly biased towards the Raptors, but I hope anyone can see that this officiating is just ridiculous and deliberately biased towards the Cavs tonight.

I'm obviously geared towards the Raptors also, but I'm sorry, some of this so-called "officiating"?? The fans were chanting "bullshit" for a reason.

Even that ball posession in the first half, it went off Lowry's fingers, then tipped off the Cleveland guy, and they didn't bother to review it, and gave is to the Cavs. Please. Clearly the ball hit the tip of the CC guy's fingers.

Hey James - who you paying off??

• Love 1
(edited)

Good for Toronto for getting another win tonight. They have been working hard these past couple of games and are now back in this series. :) Many people including several analysts believed that they would either get swept by the Cavs or that they would only win one game.

They have now ensured that this game will go to at least six games, it may even end up going to seven. They have made things competitive and this series has now taken an interesting turn. 

Biyombo continues to be a big help to the team, by doing things like rebounding and blocking. He had made some very crucial plays at the end of this game. I also like that big block he had against Kevin Love.  

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Wow. What a game!

Series evened! We don't go quietly up North. Scratch and claw to the finish baby! Proud of my Raptors closing strong and winning this one!

Doing the small things early is clearly putting some pressure on the Cavs.

Seriously though, screw you NBA, you tried to put the fix in for the Cavs, and it didn't work, at least not tonight!

• Love 1

Yeah baby!! King James isn't all that, is he?!?

We can still kick your butts, as we should!

I LOVE this. CC swept the first two parts of the series, 4-0. I don't think they understand at this point, what losing was?!?

Can I say - Biyombo is the man! But when you have an amazing Biyombo, plus DeRozan and Lowry with a total of 67 points!! Well, you cannot get any better!

• Love 1

Meh, it looked like the refs decided to make up for the no-calls in the first by making some egregious calls in the 4th, but at least it's a series now.  I wonder if Toronto will have any problems at customs or if that was just a Canadian welcome.

• Love 1

I said before the series started that things are going to be rough from here on out. So far, I am right.

Now, I'm a little annoyed that the Cavaliers lost last night, but I'm not going to panic & freak out like a lot of people on ESPN are doing right now. I'm still confident that they will pull this one out. Though, if they somehow lose game 5 on Wednesday Night, I will be very irritated. And Kevin Love better show up in game 5. Every time I see him struggle in games (too many times for my liking), it is still making me wish that Andrew Wiggins is still on this team. 

I'm certain that ESPN is hoping that the Cavaliers will find a way to fall flat on their faces in this series or in the Finals (if they get there). They did a recent 30 for 30 on Cleveland's sports failures & deep down inside, they're hoping for another failure by them. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Meh, it looked like the refs decided to make up for the no-calls in the first by making some egregious calls in the 4th, but at least it's a series now.  I wonder if Toronto will have any problems at customs or if that was just a Canadian welcome.

Luckily in Toronto we clear American Customs before we leave Canada. Pearson International Airport has US Border Guards and Customs Agents inside. So you clear customs, then security and then board your flight, and when you fly into the States you disembark like you were flying domestically. Once the Raptors get on their charter they can just relax.

Or do you mean you wonder if Cleveland had any trouble at Canadian customs?

Edited by Maximum Taco

I'm proud of the Raptors for digging themselves out of the 0-2 series deficit. They have accomplished many firsts this season and post-season that all Raptors fans will be happy with regardless of the outcome of this series - but seeing them tie it will make a series loss a little more heartbreaking than if they were to have lost in convincing fashion. I have a hard time believing that the league will allow Lebron's team to not make it to the finals. As much as I love my Raptors, keeping it real - the West is scary and Thunder vs Warriors in reality would be the real NBA finals. If the Raptors can expose Cavs weaknesses, then I think the West will make them fodder in the finals, Lebron or not.

• Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I'm proud of the Raptors for digging themselves out of the 0-2 series deficit. They have accomplished many firsts this season and post-season that all Raptors fans will be happy with regardless of the outcome of this series - but seeing them tie it will make a series loss a little more heartbreaking than if they were to have lost in convincing fashion.

Maybe a little, but the Raptors goal in this playoffs, other then the obvious goal (to win as much as possible), was to seek legitimacy. After struggling through 2 close series against the Pacers and the Heat it could be argued they were no closer to that then when they started. Everyone said the Pacers came dangerously close to being the second 7 seed to knock off a 2 seed in a 7 game series, and thus the Raptors didn't deserve to be the 2 seed. Then when they struggled against the Heat everyone said if Bosh and Whiteside were healthy they would've dominated the Raptors on route to a date with Lebron. The Raptors got no credit for 2 series victories, so much so that several (if not most) people were not only predicting a Cavs win but a Cavs SWEEP. Would they have called for a Cavs sweep if Miami had been their opponent? I doubt it. 

If the Raptors had gotten swept in 4 laughers by the Cavs it would've just enhanced that narrative and downplayed the Raptors accomplishments this season/postseason, but pushing the Cavs to 6 (even 7) games and then losing? Nobody can doubt the Raptors right to call themselves one of the best teams in the East now. Winning now and then losing the series might be painful, but it adds to their legitimacy in this league and that's more important then undergoing a little heartbreak.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Maybe a little, but the Raptors goal in this playoffs, other then the obvious goal (to win as much as possible), was to seek legitimacy. After struggling through 2 close series against the Pacers and the Heat it could be argued they were no closer to that then when they started. Everyone said the Pacers came dangerously close to being the second 7 seed to knock off a 2 seed in a 7 game series, and thus the Raptors didn't deserve to be the 2 seed. Then when they struggled against the Heat everyone said if Bosh and Whiteside were healthy they would've dominated the Raptors on route to a date with Lebron. The Raptors got no credit for 2 series victories, so much so that several (if not most) people were not only predicting a Cavs win but a Cavs SWEEP. Would they have called for a Cavs sweep if Miami had been their opponent? I doubt it. 

If the Raptors had gotten swept in 4 laughers by the Cavs it would've just enhanced that narrative and downplayed the Raptors accomplishments this season/postseason, but pushing the Cavs to 6 (even 7) games and then losing? Nobody can doubt the Raptors right to call themselves one of the best teams in the East now. Winning now and then losing the series might be painful, but it adds to their legitimacy in this league and that's more important then undergoing a little heartbreak.

Oh I totally agree. The only reason it would be a little heartbreaking is because the Raptors are proving their resiliency and true team spirit has gotten them further than anyone would have imagined. To not only avoid a sweep but to hand the Cavs their only losses so far this post-season is something that no one would have predicted. So far these playoffs, everyone has found reason to discredit the Raptor's by making excuses for the opponents they've been beating. Now people are claiming that the officiating is what did the Cavs in in game 3 and 4 but we've reached the point where the excuses now seem silly and most are willing to recognize the abilities of this Raptors team. They are a team that has no bonafide superstar, but they have depth with players who all check their egos at the door realizing that every game is won by committee, not by spotlight hogging. As a fan, it's fun to root for the underdog, it's also fun to see your favourite teams go deep in the playoffs and keep their championship aspirations alive - but best is when you can see real progression. It makes you realize that there's more to look forward to...and it's been a testament to Casey and Uriji's work.

Winning on the road will be difficult but again, regardless of this series, there are too many good things to come out of this 2015-2016 team that no one is going to lament a series loss at this point.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cool to see so many Raptors fans here.  I've been jumping on the bandwagon every year for playoffs, but now I think Biyombo is making me a legitimate basketball fan :(  I already watch 3 hours of baseball a day, there's no WAY I got time for this too!  I am in love with probably more than half the team.  But Biyombo is my husband

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

OKC played another superb game tonight. They really are clicking very well together and are peaking at the right time. I also give Billy Donovan a lot of credit for how he has handled this game. I think that he is doing a really good job coaching them and helping them be successful.

I think that Golden State will try and have a strong showing for Game 5 and might try and push this series to at least a game six. Steph didn't seem 100% tonight. It seemed like an injury was bothering him. Maybe he will be better for Game 5 and that will help them. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I hope OKC close it out game 5 because I have a feeling that they will get tight in game 6 and get blown out game 7. Please prove me wrong Thunder! 

Their defense has been ridiculous with all those clean blocks and blocking the inside lanes for the Warriors to get easy baskets. Very impressed with them. Even more impressive was Durant's face after the game. He didn't look excited at all- he knew they still need one more game.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, twoods said:

I hope OKC close it out game 5 because I have a feeling that they will get tight in game 6 and get blown out game 7. Please prove me wrong Thunder! 

Their defense has been ridiculous with all those clean blocks and blocking the inside lanes for the Warriors to get easy baskets. Very impressed with them. Even more impressive was Durant's face after the game. He didn't look excited at all- he knew they still need one more game.

I could see the Warriors having a good game in front of their home crowd and this series going to six. But I think that as long as the Thunder keeps playing at the level that they are, that they can win this series, even if it goes beyond game 5.  Though they would be better off if it doesn't go the full seven games. Maybe they will close it out in six or maybe 5.

They really have been playing great defense. Their players were hounding Steph Curry tonight and Ibaka played well on defense too. Their role players are doing well and I am really enjoying the play from their bigs. One of my favorite plays tonight was that laser pass that Stephen Adams threw to Roberson.  I thought he looked like was throwing a dodgeball, lol. OKC definitely looks like a different team. They seem really confident and mature. Maybe this postseason will end up being really special for them.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

Robin Lundberg said this morning "if you are a fan of the game, you have to root for the Cavs to get to The Finals."

Nope.  Full stop.  First, if you say I "have" to do something I'm going to be contrary.  Second, was not Toronto basically the second best team in the East all season?  It's not going to be the apocalypse if the Raptors win.

On another note, I just cannot root for a Billy Donovan-led anything.

Sigh.  Mike and Mike are doubling down on the "NBA doesn't want a Thunder/Raptors Finals" narrative.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
(edited)

Lol...who woulda thought the Eastern Conference Finals would have been the more competitive series.  The Warriors are done. They arent beating the Thunder 3 straight.  I'm not even sure they can win game 5 even if it is in Oracle. They look lost and I think Steve Kerr is getting exposed right now. What adjustments has he made since even game 1? Game 2 was just Steph Curry going off in the 3rd. And thats been the knock pretty much on Kerr....he benefits from Curry and the other guys just being really good players. Its known that they dont run many plays and Curry hits crazy shots that teams have never had to game plan/defend. When the interim coach can go 39-4....

With all that said, too many turnovers, especially by Curry.  A lot of times I was like wtf are you doing? And its funny how earlier in the series there was talk about Draymond Green trying to get in KD and Westbrook's heads, but its pretty clear they (and maybe even Steven Adams) are in his head. He's been a no show the last 2 games.  He might as well have been suspended because at least then they would have an excuse for losing.

I really like the Warriors, but my heart is with the Knicks. I dont really care who ends up in the Finals.  I think it would be kinda cool to see the Raptors and Thunder in the Finals.  Two small market teams who built themselves up in the draft. I know its not flashy and glamorous, but whatever.  Im gonna be on vacation during the finals so I probably wasnt gonna be paying close attention regardless of who's in it.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Raptors are doing very well, but I think the Warriors and the Thunder are the ones who have the best odds. The fall of the Warriors came out of nowhere, but I wouldn't write them off unless Thunder beats them. One of these two teams will be on the Final.

Edited by prethink
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Robin Lundberg said this morning "if you are a fan of the game, you have to root for the Cavs to get to The Finals."

Nope.  Full stop.  First, if you say I "have" to do something I'm going to be contrary.  Second, was not Toronto basically the second best team in the East all season?  It's not going to be the apocalypse if the Raptors win.

On another note, I just cannot root for a Billy Donovan-led anything.

Sigh.  Mike and Mike are doubling down on the "NBA doesn't want a Thunder/Raptors Finals" narrative.

Only the NBA is so anti upset.

If this was happening in any other league there'd be so much excitement that things aren't going exactly according to script.

When the 8 seed LA Kings powered their way to the Stanley Cup. Everyone in hockey was all "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!"

When the wildcard Royals and Giants met in the 2014 World Series everyone was like "THIS IS THE GREATEST PLAYOFFS EVER!!!"

When there's a chance (not a certainty but a CHANCE) of an OKC/TOR finish, everyone in NBA media freaks. Why is it fun to see everything go predictably? I want an upset! And that's not just because I'm a Raps fan. Why bother watching if at the beginning of the playoffs you can say "Cavs and Dubs" and the it turns out to be "Cavs and Dubs"? And I'm not trying to hate on Cleveland or Golden State, both exciting teams that would produce a no doubt thrilling NBA Finals, but part of the fun of the postseason in any sport is its unpredictability, the NBA seems to have ignored that entirely.

• Love 1

I'm fairly certain that all of the league would be having heart failure if the big-market, big-star teams weren't getting to the finals.  As much as baseball fans (well, most of them) loved the Royals getting to the series, you know MLB was relieved that the Mets were there, too.  And if the Super Bowl were Jacksonville and Tampa Bay, they'd blow a gasket.  At least the NBA is saying it out loud.  

That's something... I guess.

(edited)
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I'm fairly certain that all of the league would be having heart failure if the big-market, big-star teams weren't getting to the finals.  As much as baseball fans (well, most of them) loved the Royals getting to the series, you know MLB was relieved that the Mets were there, too.  And if the Super Bowl were Jacksonville and Tampa Bay, they'd blow a gasket.  At least the NBA is saying it out loud.  

That's something... I guess.

I'm fine if the League is upset. I'm sure the NHL is a little peeved no Canadian teams made it this year and they are experiencing record lows in ratings north of the border.

But the media shouldn't care so much.

Last year when the Yankees (obviously one of the biggest market teams) were in the wildcard the media wasn't saying "If you love baseball, you should be rooting for the Yankees, otherwise you can go to hell."

This year when the Capitals (far and away the best team in the regular season) were on the brink in the second round nobody was saying "If you love hockey and don't root for the Caps you're a goddamn hypocrite!"

Upsets are exciting. Just get into it. There are a ton of great narratives for the Raps making the final, Cinderella team (which is odd cause they are the 2nd seed, but when you expect them to get swept, how else can you describe it?), USA v Canada, can Lebron get it done without Wade and Bosh? Are DeRozan and Lowry better then we thought?

They don't have to be such downers and be like "If the Cavs don't make it, this postseason is unadulterated trash, you, as a basketball fan should go cry in the corner over the death of our game, that's what I'm gonna do!"

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ah... I understand what you're saying.  I guess my media exposure isn't that deep.  The media I listen to/read are mostly saying that the league will be having conniptions if it's OKC and Toronto, not that you're a bad fan if you think that's great.  Although they are also saying the league will be sad because there aren't enough basketball "fans" to have impact on the ratings.

Which could be cover for the media thinking that, too. 

Edited by ebk57
(edited)

A lot of people like Stephen A. Smith and Evan Fournier were totally comfortable telling everyone Raptors have no chance of WINNING ONE GAME in the series against the Cavs.

Now, they're apologizing, (one guy on Twitter said he'd fry his cellphone with rice if the Raptors won 1 game -- then he literally live-tweeted doing so) , but Stephen A. Smith was such an asshole while doing so.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/stephen-smith-apologizes-canadians-everywhere-raptors-win/

I mean, this is what Canada has to contend with.  This constant outright disrespect.  It's one thing from so-called sports commentators or even sports stars themselves, but the officials too.  When even ESPN - AMERICAN ESPN - is saying the officials are bowing down to LeBron and refusing to call his fouls and bending over backwards to call any foul on the Raptors when they're near him - I mean, Damn!

Stephen A Smith ‏@stephenasmith  May 24

My apologies to Canadians everywhere. No way in hell did I believe @Raptors would tie this series 2-2. I'm totally disgusted, but props 2 u

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Um.  That is very clearly a non-apology apology.  Shut up, Stephen.

Loved John Salley when he was a Bad Boy, but still love it so much how wrong he was when he said that Cleveland was not going to lose a game in the entire postseason.  HA HA HA.

• Love 2

I think the NBA is similar to the NFL in that it is so popular, they really don't care about market size in the Finals.

It takes super star talent to get there and those players are now national brands. A guy from Oklahoma City became popular with non basketball fans after he gave a speech thanking his mother. A guy from Cleveland just signed a billion dollar endorsement deal. The reality show that is the Curry family. . . And  all of this happened with the Knicks being totally irrelevant.

• Love 2
(edited)

These Raptors are so baffling, one day they look like they can hang with anybody, the next you're wondering what business they have in the Conference Finals. 

One thing they aren't is boring though.

See you back North of the 49th, Cavs. Hopefully the Raptors from Game 3 and 4 show up again when we're back in the 6.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1