Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

The band that played between the 3 point contest and slam dunk contest was more egregiously off-brand than Sting. Also how does Guy Fieri get a courtside seat?

Klay did amazing. I don't usually cheer for favorites but the Warriors and associated players are easy to like.

Klay did a good job with the three point contest. It was nice to see him win that. :) The Dunking contest was fun. I thought that both Zack LaVine and Aaron Gordon did great and had awesome dunks. I thought that the dunking contest was the most entertaining contest of the night.

Edited by Jx223

I think the bigger brag for Klay would be that Pres. Obama thinks he has the prettier jump shot. But he definitely lit it up in the 3 point contest. Its gonna be those 2 trading wins for a while.

Speaking of 3s....I cant believe Draymond lost to Kevin Hart. I know Draymond isnt known for his 4 pt shooting, but still, he DOES make them on occasion, and he's a professional! Lol. If there's one person who'll never let a person live down a loss its Kevin Hart.

Yo...the Slam Dunk contest was lit this year. Thank goodness for Zach Lavine who did his thing but especially the young boy from the Orlando Magic. Im STILL replaying that dunk when he went under both legs. Im trying to catch all the reactions from the players on the sideline. Andre Drummond literally fell out of his chair like he had been shot dead. LMAO. Dekembe, Shaq and Magic were all looking stunned.

Loved the sportsmanship by Lavine. I think he's right, that contest should have ended in a tie. I dont think anybody would have been upset with that.

I liked the twist on the Skills competition by letting the "big men" compete.

All in all it was a pretty good Saturday night. It made staying home because of this ridiculous winter blast that much more bareable.

Edited by FuriousStyles

Yo...the Slam Dunk contest was lit this year. Thank goodness for Zach Lavine who did his thing but especially the young boy from the Orlando Magic. Im STILL replaying that dunk when he went under both legs. Im trying to catch all the reactions from the players on the sideline. Andre Drummond literally fell out of his chair like he had been shot dead. LMAO. Dekembe, Shaq and Magic were all looking stunned.

Someone posted a 3D vine of that dunk on twitter, which makes it looks even cooler. Especially the part when he is in a seated position high in the air before he dunks it.  I thought that was the best dunk of the night. 

Edited by Jx223

The game was over and im sure the camera guy or the person in the studio who decides which angle to televise at any given time thought Steph was just gonna dribble it out and let the clock run out. He was standing literally right near halfcourt. They should have known thats still within Steph's range though. Lol. Because sure enough he jacked it up and it went in. I think they showed it on Sportscenter afterward.

Looking forward to tonight's game btw the Warriors and Clips. After that beatdown last night by Portland, im sure the Warriors have come down from that cloud they were on. Turnovers have been their one big issue and it burned them big last night. Hopefully they rebound well, because they've got a quick turnaround...flying cross country to play the Hawks Monday. If they want to keep pace with the record I think they need to win tonight, since they have some tough games against the Spurs and OKC coming up. I dont think anyone penciled in Portland as 1 of the 5 games the Warriors could afford to lose to get or tie the wins record.

Edited by FuriousStyles

The game was over and im sure the camera guy or the person in the studio who decides which angle to televise at any given time thought Steph was just gonna dribble it out and let the clock run out. He was standing literally right near halfcourt. They should have known thats still within Steph's range though. Lol. Because sure enough he jacked it up and it went in. I think they showed it on Sportscenter afterward.

I'm surprised that Russell Westbrook won the MVP instead of Stephen Curry. Like I need to another reason to despise him. Its not surprising that ESPN is actively rooting for him & the Warriors to not only get this record, but also repeat as champions, and to see Cleveland (if they get there) go another year (52 years) without winning a championship.

Looking forward to tonight's game btw the Warriors and Clips. After that beatdown last night by Portland, im sure the Warriors have come down from that cloud they were on. Turnovers have been their one big issue and it burned them big last night. Hopefully they rebound well, because they've got a quick turnaround...flying cross country to play the Hawks Monday. If they want to keep pace with the record I think they need to win tonight, since they have some tough games against the Spurs and OKC coming up. I dont think anyone penciled in Portland as 1 of the 5 games the Warriors could afford to lose to get or tie the wins record.

The Clippers have absolutely no chance against the Warriors tonight & getting Jeff Green is not going to change that. I'm sensing another blowout & the Hawks might as well just lay down & play dead on Monday Night because its going to happen to them too.

Channing Frye is OK, but he is nothing special & I'm not sure that he will be of any help of trying to beat the Warriors in June. Thankfully, they didn't get Carmelo Anthony from the Knicks like I'm been hearing about for the past week. Carmelo wouldn't be of any help in trying to beat the Warriors, he doesn't care of winning a ring, he still has lots of money left in his current contract, & I don't like his attitude very much.

As for Dwight Howard, when he becomes a free agent at the end of this season, I hope that he signs either with the Knicks, Bulls, or the Celtics. Seeing him suffer for the past few yrs (Lakers & Rockets) and bring both of these teams down (exception being last season) makes me very happy. He certainly doesn't have that drive & hunger to being a great NBA player & winning a title since he left Orlando. Him with Carmelo or with Derek Rose would be perfect. I'm still livid that the Cavs somehow lost to that scumbag & the Magic in 2009. I was so angry about that I didn't even watch very much of the Finals that year. I also didn't watch the Finals the year before.

Havent the Knicks suffered enough?

I agree it doesnt seem Carmelo wants a ring bad enough...in the sense that he's willing to chase one and go to different teams. Maybe that will change as he gets older, but it seems he and his family are happy right where they're at and I cant fault him for that.

But as far as his on court play, I have no problem with Melo. I watch almost every game and I think for whatever reason Melo has really gotten a unfair rap. This year he's been great at both ends of the floor. Most night he's 1 or 2 assists or rebounds away from a triple double and still averaging 20+ points. I've kind of given up on him being "thee" guy. He's no Lebron (but who is?)..he's no Steph or KD or Russell. But to me, he's right below those guys...with the likes of a Chris Bosh or Paul Gasol. The problem is he's never really played with anybody else in the top 2 tier level. Hopefully Kristaps can grow into that guy in the near future and/or Phil can work some magic in free agency/trading. I would love to see Melo a part of the Knicks being contenders again.

AND NO to Dwight Howard. Dont want him here at all.

I'm very surprised that the Atlanta Hawks came back against the Warriors last night & kept it somewhat respectable. That game was over at halftime & the Hawks had a very good 3rd quarter. Even though, they took the lead early in the 4th quarter, I still didn't think that the Hawks would win that game.

This Curry stat is insane.

Kerr might not be exaggerating in saying that Curry’s half-court shots are like another player’s 3-pointers. This season, Curry is 4-of-11 from beyond 39 feet, good for 36 percent. In the range between 28 and 50 feet, Curry is 35-of-52, good for an efficiency that exceeds making 100 percent of your 2-point attempts.

Oscar Robertson just said that in his day players tightly guarded their man at half-court.

Is that true? Why would they though? Nobody back then was shooting long range shots. Was the 3 point line even in existance when he played?

I heard pieces of what he said on Mike&Mike and I find his comments, Barkley's general hatred of the Warriors/Curry and even Isaiah Thomas' backhanded compliments to be off putting, disrespectful and unnecessary.

They all sound so whiny and jealous. Oh the rules are different, oh the game is this and that. The Warriors are playing the same game as the 31 other teams and dominating them. They have nothing to do with the current rules or how its officiated.

What annoys me is that this excuse has been used pretty much exclusively to dismiss the Warriors/Curry. I dont recall ever hearing how 'easy' offensive players have it when the Spurs were winning their championships over the last decade, or Kobe's Lakers or any other championship team from the last 15+ years.

Barring the Knicks ever getting it together anytime soon, I would love to see the Warriors dominate the league for the next 5-6 years. Just so they can beat all those "get off my lawn" old heads into submission.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

If any of you NBA fans are out there looking around for something incredible...just go watch the last overtime quarter of the Warriors vs. the Thunder tonight. That was the most amazing basketball in the history of my life!

• Love 1

Saw the whole game. INCREDIBLE. All I needed was for Iggy to make those 2 free throws at the end of regulation. I just knew the Warriors were gonna win and then when KD fouled out...it was a wrap. But still....I almost sprained my own damn ankle jumping off the couch when Curry hit that shot. Anyone denying that man's greatness is a straight up HATER! Even Lebron had to tweet about Steph tonight.

I dont care what anybody says. It might be a forgone conclusion that the Warriors will win the chip (barring any serious injury) but they are so exciting to watch in their own right it just doesnt matter to me. I dont think viewership will drop at all.

• Love 2

Yes, I watched the entire game as well (would not miss a second of my Warriors this year or any) but just had to recommend those last regulation 15 minutes as the most exciting minutes this year...as I now have seen many pundits say ("best game of the year" yadda yadda and it was!).

Wow. I am still just in awe.

Sorry to be such a fan girl :)

I dont blame you. Im a Knicks fan through and through and even I have to temper my excitement when I watch the Warriors. It wouldnt hurt me really if they lost in the finals or something the way it would the Knicks (if we ever get there) but I still really like this team. If I were a fan fan, id be decked out in Warriors gear and cheering every chance I got.

If any of you NBA fans are out there looking around for something incredible...just go watch the last overtime quarter of the Warriors vs. the Thunder tonight. That was the most amazing basketball in the history of my life!

Why am I not surprised that Stephen Curry made that last shot from almost half-court to win the game? Its becoming mundane. However, I'm still not rooting for the Warriors.

That game certainly prove that the Warriors don't need Kevin Durant (who is a Free Agent after this season) on their team next season. That should put a stop to the Kevin Durant possibly going to the Warriors next season rumors that ESPN has been putting out there for the past couple of weeks. I don't see Kevin Durant fitting in with these guys. 

Every time I see shots like that from Stephen Curry, it keeps making me wish that the Detroit Pistons of the Bad Boys era was still around. Those guys wouldn't make it that easy for Stephen Curry to make all those shots. They also would make life hell for the rest of the Warriors. 

After last night, the Western Conference Playoffs are officially over & they don't start till mid-April. Expect for the games being on TNT, there is no reason to watch it because the Warriors already won it. The Clippers, Thunder, & the Spurs have absolutely no chance what so ever of beating the Warriors in the Playoffs. Heck, I'm not even sure that I should feel sorry for whoever gets the 8th seed because they as well just start Going Fishing. 

Edited by Magog

Every time I see shots like that from Stephen Curry, it keeps making me wish that the Detroit Pistons of the Bad Boys era was still around. Those guys wouldn't make it that easy for Stephen Curry to make all those shots. They also would make life hell for the rest of the Warriors. 

Yeah, but it would be hard for the Pistons to field a team when their starting line-up has either fouled out or been kicked out for flagrant-twos. It's a different era, my friend.

• Love 5

Plus Steph Curry is a 90% free throw shooter. So the Pistons are gonna get the whole team in foul trouble for what?

Im still amazed by the shots Curry is making. Not surprised necessarily, but amazed. I mean when the damn shot takes 3 days to get to the basket you have time to think like "omg is it going in?" And sure enough most of the time it does. Incredible.

• Love 1

Poor Seth Curry. Whenever anyone talks to Del it's "OMG Steph is incredible aren't you so overwhelmingly proud?!?!111111" and while obviously Seth and Steph are not in the same place, I'm sure in a way Del is proud of both of them but no one asks about poor forgotten Seth.

That said, I'm still rooting for the Warriors even if I'm getting bored with Steph's shots getting broken down every day on every show.

• Love 1

Last night, the OKC Thunder blew a 17 point lead in the 4th Quarter to the LA Clippers & lost. Now, they're going to get their ass kicked tonight by the Warriors. Either, they're going to get their doors blown out of them or Stephen Curry is going to find another way to humiliate these losers. 

NBA on the court fashion question.

Watching the replay of Nets/Tims game (why? there is nothing else on. Tims impressive, though. Nets? Not so much).

I have noticed several players are wearing some sort of black leggings under their shorts. Does it serve a purpose or is it just a thing like when college players like Patrick Ewing were wearing t shirts under their uni tops?

Just wondering.

They are compression leggings. I think they are supposed to help circulation. I assume on men they are called something different but when I wear them, they are leggings. (Also when I wear them it's to reduce jiggles while running, but I don't think KD wears them for that reason).

• Love 1

I think those leggings are about as useful as those "sleeves" that some players wear. That is to say, not useful at all as far as functionality, but it probably provides some sort of mental edge. Sort of like a good luck/superstition thing.

The Ws were freaking awful today. Everybody was cold (I dont think ive seen a game where Steph, Klay, Barnes AND Draymond were off). And the Lakers ill give them credit made a lot of big shots. I cant believe they'll be one of the teams able to say they beat the Warriors this season.

I was wondering why hubby was watching the Lakers game so intently then saw the score. Wtf. Great win for them in such a shitty season. Nice for those fans to see a good game.

They are compression leggings. I think they are supposed to help circulation. I assume on men they are called something different but when I wear them, they are leggings. (Also when I wear them it's to reduce jiggles while running, but I don't think KD wears them for that reason).

Does KD jiggle anywhere? Except his man-junk, of course. 

I watched the last few minutes of the Cavaliers game yesterday. They were ahead by a lot, so it was garbage time. Anyway, I had a chance to watch Jordan McCrae, a player who was recently called up from the 76ers Development League team, the Delaware 87ers. I've watched him play live here in Delaware, and he's really good, so I'm glad he made it to the big leagues. 

I didn't realize until recently that all NBA officials start their careers in the D-League before moving up to officiate NBA games.

So, I assume no one else was watching the Spurs VS Warriors this evening? A college course in basketball defense.

As a Warriors fan I will say I am so proud of my team for not resting what is left of a seriously depleted starting group and being the *Warriors* I know and expect to play every game.

Congrats to the Spurs for defending their home court and we look forward to seeing you again there in the not to distant future.

Great game last night. Somewhere Oscar Robertson is yelling "I told you so!" 

LeBron can't be happy this morning. Not only did the Cavs lose to the Heat, he found out what kind of team and effort it will take to beat the eventual Western Conference champs (Warriors or Spurs) and he probably knows they don't have it.

• Love 1

I realized this morning one of my favorite things about this season is that Golden State is leaving a path of destruction almost everywhere they go, but they can't even run away and hide because San Antonio is like "not so fast my friends."

• Love 1

I can't shake the feeling that the Golden State Warriors may welcome the playoffs as "less pressure" then trying to equal or better the Bulls all time w/l record down this stretch.

Again, "first world" problems to have.

I thought that tonight's game between the Grizzlies and Warriors was a good game. The Warriors managed to keep their hopes of beating the Bulls record alive. But the Grizzlies kept it close and almost pulled off a win against them.

I am pleased with the way that the Grizzlies have been playing towards the end of this season. I am also glad that Lance Stephenson seems to fit in well with this team. I had wanted him to stay in Indy, but I think that Memphis is a pretty good fit for him and definitely a better fit for him than the Clippers and especially Charlotte were.

I think that the Grizzlies team with their crew consisting of Zach Randolph, Matt Barnes,Tony Allen, Lance and Birdman are an interesting group. That squad has quite the combined list of antics, lol.  I do think they work well together as a team and I am interested in seeing how far they get in the playoffs. 

I think that the these last few games before the playoffs are going to be interesting. We have some tight races towards the bottom of both conferences. I am going to Maryland next week to visit my sister and we are going to see the Washington/Atlanta game (last game of year for Wizards). Normally in the past couple of seasons, the Wizards have made the playoffs but that won't happen this year. I am glad that Atlanta made the playoffs and I hope the Pacers will end up making them.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The Spurs gave it their best shot, but to the surprise to nobody, Stephen Curry & the Warriors found a way to beat them. Watching that game proves why the Western Conference Playoffs is pretty much over. They're going to get the record on Wednesday Night by pulverizing the Grizzlies. I'm probably gonna have to stay away from ESPN this week, since they're now cheerleaders to the Warriors. 

I don't know what is so fascinating about who is going to get the 8th spot in the Western Conference. Whoever gets it is basically going to be Golden State's bitch. The Warriors will be licking their chops putting that team out of their misery. 

BTW, I haven't talked about the Cavaliers for about the past month because their play for the past month has downright irritated me. Its like the season is on fire & burning to the ground and I don't see any one trying to put out the fire.

Leave it to Kobe to outshine the Warriors winning their 73rd.

I saw the score and saw they were down so turned it off, then kept hearing the hubby clapping downstairs. You couldn't have scripted a better way for Kobe to go out. I couldn't believe those shots were going in, and he looked like he was going to pass out from fatigue. At least the fans got a treat and their money's worth. No matter how many times over the years I got mad at his boneheaded shots, he always played with heart. It's going to be strange not seeing him in a Lakers uniform after 20 years of rooting for him.

60 pts!  Wonderful ending to Kobe's career and loved all his former teammates being there and filming the video. Mamba will be missed in this sport, class act and great player.

• Love 1

That was epic of Kobe scoring 60 points in his last game. It was a lot of fun to watch (more fun than watching the Warriors winning game number 73) & Kobe will certainly be missed. I don't root for him very much or for the Lakers at all, but I have a lot of respect for Kobe.

I hope the Lakers & their fans enjoyed last night and the 5 titles that Kobe help bring them because it will be a long while before they get someone on Kobe's level or be a championship contender. Hopefully, they will not be contenders for a while (at least 10 yrs minimum). Stephen A Smith is always bragging about the Lakers & always throwing mud at their owner Jim Buss. He personally shows his anger towards Jim Buss & always want to strangled him for the Lakers recent woes. I hope they don't get a top 3 pick in the lottery.

As for the Warriors, even though they got the record (eye roll), I'm still not rooting for them & the Rockets (especially Dwight Howard and James Harden) might as well just lay down & take their punishment because there is no way in hell that they're going to pull an epic upset over the Warriors. I hope that the Rockets started their "Gone Fishing" already.

Here are your 1st round matchups. 

Warriors - Rockets 

Spurs - Grizzlies

Thunder - Mavericks

Clippers - Trail Blazers

Cavaliers - Pistons

Raptors - Pacers

Heat - Hornets

Hawks - Celtics

Edited by Magog

I don't watch much NBA anymore, but I'm still bleary-eyed from staying up until 1:30 last night to watch Kobe.  It couldn't have ended any better for him.

Mamba out, indeed.

Kobe's final speech was the very first time I have ever seen the guy be gracious and grateful so that was something. (Grew up in L.A. - always hated the Lakers and the Dodgers so it was a relief to move to northern California and root for the Warriors and the Giants).

BUT! Warriors!!! 73 it is...and it won't be bested for a long, long time....except maybe by the Warriors next year, after they win the championship again :)

Come on you Rockets, give us a game - you know you can.

I don't really like the whole "resting players" thing, but I can understand why a contending team would do it. But a healthy DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo and Darren Collison didn't even make the trip for Sacramento's last game of the season. 

What are they resting for, an early tee time today?

Perhaps they were setting up for the Coach Karl got fired luncheon party? The Kings are a mess. Priority #1 should be finding a good price for Cousins and starting over. He improves his attitude by a minuscule amount every year, but enough is enough. Instead though I'm sure they will trade away Seth Curry at a low price just as he is coming into his own a la Isiah Thomas.

Leave it to Kobe to outshine the Warriors winning their 73rd. 

Scoring 60 points when the rest of his team only scores 19.  Once a ball hog, always a ball hog.

I don't really like the whole "resting players" thing, but I can understand why a contending team would do it. But a healthy DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo and Darren Collison didn't even make the trip for Sacramento's last game of the season. 

What are they resting for, an early tee time today?

A better draft pick.

I'm not sure that was their strategy. The Sixers have a pick swap option with the Kings. So any attempt by them to get more ping pong balls increases the likelihood they "win" a top three pick only to lose it to the Sixers.

Which, as a Sixers fan, is a something I wholeheartedly endorse.

• Love 1

I'm not sure that was their strategy. The Sixers have a pick swap option with the Kings. So any attempt by them to get more ping pong balls increases the likelihood they "win" a top three pick only to lose it to the Sixers.

Which, as a Sixers fan, is a something I wholeheartedly endorse.

So that's what optimism in a Sixers fan looks like.

I am surprised I have not heard more people comment on this about Kobe's retirement : It's not just the end of his career and his era, it is truly the end of the Lakers and Jerry buss. I know the team has declined and Buss died already, but they still had Kobe and that link to it all, the 5 titles, one of the best players of his era.

But his kids are idiots and all that is over now. 11 titles in 36 years (starting with Magic being drafted) is amazing, one of the most dominate decades long runs in pro sports, over multiple coaches, players, GMs. That's not to say there were no down years, but pretty consistently for 3 decades, they never went long without contending.

Kobe was the last link to all that, it is gone. The Clippers are the better team in that stadium. I was never a Laker's fan. In fact I hated them. I was a Celtics fan in the 80s because of Larry Bird. However, the Lakers in the 80s with the glitz, glamour, celebrities, run and gun fast break style, they helped turn around a dying league. And they manage to continue to be relevant for a long time under Jerry Buss.

It's gone now.

Also if I hear one more commentator say how the 73 wins won't mean anything if the Warriors don't win a title, I am going to strangle them. Of course it won't. 73 wins and no title will never be better than 72 wins and a title. Still, what they did means they are in the running for title of one of the best teams in history.

• Love 1