Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Meh.  Both Philadelphia & Los Angeles had several chances to win the game with margin for error AND a case where a bad call/no-call would've been irrelevant.  I've said forever that winning by as much as possible is okay because if you don't, you might not win at all

• Like 2

Meanwhile, I have to apologize here.  I think I mentioned something to the tune of how Boston winning a series against Denver would occur in a time faster than the time it took for yours truly to waltz up a 12-step flight of stairs.  Or tumble down them.  Or just beat them (in painful fashion)  Sorry about that!

Still it's early in the postseason but I guess for today, I'll allow the on-court action be my guide

I believe I'm on record earlier in this thread of saying Boston has had an almost 20 year run of having good looking regular season teams then suddenly struggling in the playoffs. Something like "Watch them go down 3-2 against the Hawks in the first round".  3 coaches, 2 GMs, multiple cores, many times where they were betting favorites in the East and yet... underwhelming while avoiding total embarrassment. I mean last year's Conference Championships were somewhat embarrassing, but they at least fought back to force a game 7. 

• Angry 1

Different game, same story. Lakers start strong in the first to lead by ten, and Denver takes over in the second half. Denver wins by 7 and that's eleven in a row over LA. Lakers are headed for Cancun on Saturday. 

Is this one going to be called a "competitive sweep" as well? 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Different game, same story. Lakers start strong in the first to lead by ten, and Denver takes over in the second half. Denver wins by 7 and that's eleven in a row over LA. Lakers are headed for Cancun on Saturday. 

Is this one going to be called a "competitive sweep" as well? 

I hate to sound like a legitimate villain, but I think it's best that the Lakers produce self motivation in advance for their next game.  So if they win Game 4, they'd be playing for yet another meaningless banner that states, "We Found A Way To Beat Denver One Damn Time".

That is harsh, but they already earned a meaningless banner earlier last autumn.  So while winning Game 4 and nothing else isn't the top goal, that would be their ceiling.  OR?  They still lose as is the tradition, but they cover whatever the total is since Denver will be favored, and then they can say at least they covered against the champs.

That's their story.  AD''s career dies by the end of the decade, Ham gets fired, maybe they get Young from the East, and James bolts since there is nothing he can to to top the past legends of the Lakers, period.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Good riddance. Maybe now Lebron will finally retire and they can dump DLo because he’s just trash at this point. Zero points in a must win game and scrolling on his phone during a time out. Why did they sign him yet again? He was trash the first time around as well. 

Edited by twoods

I want to say no because I strongly dislike the Lakers but is there an alternate universe where they could have been competitive or won a game against a team that wasn't Denver?

4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I want to say no because I strongly dislike the Lakers but is there an alternate universe where they could have been competitive or won a game against a team that wasn't Denver?

Sure - heck, they almost won game 2.  But the Lakers are a seven seed for a reason even though AD reached a career high in games and LeBron was about as healthy as you can expect from someone in his 21st season.

LeBron the player should blame LeBron the GM for his current predicament.  The disaster that was the Westbrook trade continues to haunt the team.

• Like 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, twoods said:

Good riddance. Maybe now Lebron will finally retire and they can dump DLo because he’s just trash at this point. Zero points in a must win game and scrolling on his phone during a time out. Why did they sign him yet again? He was trash the first time around as well. 

Here is DLo showing us how much he gives a damn last night while the Lakers are about to get swept on Saturday Night at The Crypt.

D'Angelo Russell doesn't join Lakers huddle after scoring 0 in Game 3 loss vs Nuggets

As for LeBron, he's not going to retire. But, the Lakers would suck even more if he leaves. 

12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Maybe. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that.

13 hours ago, Carey said:

I hate to sound like a legitimate villain, but I think it's best that the Lakers produce self motivation in advance for their next game.  So if they win Game 4, they'd be playing for yet another meaningless banner that states, "We Found A Way To Beat Denver One Damn Time".

That is harsh, but they already earned a meaningless banner earlier last autumn.  So while winning Game 4 and nothing else isn't the top goal, that would be their ceiling.  OR?  They still lose as is the tradition, but they cover whatever the total is since Denver will be favored, and then they can say at least they covered against the champs.

The only self motivation the Lakers should have right now is win a game in the series to get a little of their pride & self-respect back. Even if they somehow win tomorrow night, it still wouldn't bring back much of their pride & self-respect. 

As for tonight, hopefully the Suns will join the Lakers in being down 3-0. The less we see KD & those crummy Suns in the Playoffs, the better. 

Besides, I'm not going to lose any sleep at all over LeBron (who I still really like) & the Lakers, and the KD (🤬) & the Suns possibly being sent home after the weekend joining Steph & those Warriors (🤣) in Cancun. I know that ESPN will sad as hell about it, but it wouldn't bother me one bit over that outcome

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Magog said:

Here is DLo showing us how much he gives a damn last night while the Lakers are about to get swept on Saturday Night at The Crypt.

D'Angelo Russell doesn't join Lakers huddle after scoring 0 in Game 3 loss vs Nuggets

As for LeBron, he's not going to retire. But, the Lakers would suck even more if he leaves. 

Maybe. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that.

The only self motivation the Lakers should have right now is win a game in the series to get a little of their pride & self-respect back. Even if they somehow win tomorrow night, it still wouldn't bring back much of their pride & self-respect. 

As for tonight, hopefully the Suns will join the Lakers in being down 3-0. The less we see KD & those crummy Suns in the Playoffs, the better. 

Besides, I'm not going to lose any sleep at all over LeBron (who I still really like) & the Lakers, and the KD (🤬) & the Suns possibly being sent home after the weekend joining Steph & those Warriors (🤣) in Cancun. I know that ESPN will sad as hell about it, but it wouldn't bother me one bit over that outcome

Well Timberwolves are doing their  best to make Magog's dream come true, but the refs are trying to bring the Wolves down. Example: a Sun flattens a Wolf--no foul called. KAT is standing still with his hands behind his back--a foul is called on him.

6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Not sure why you were complaining. TWolves are dominant in every facet tonight.

One should never pass up an opportunity to complain about how the powers that be are working against your favorite team. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Not sure why you were complaining. TWolves are dominant in every facet tonight.

When I stopped watching, the game was neck and neck, Wolves barely staying ahead. Bad calls resulting in free throws could have affected the outcome.

Fun fact: there's a real chance the following guys will be joining Steph, CP3, Klay, and Draymond on vacation in a few more days: LeBron, Kawhi, Harden, Westbrook, KD, Paul George, and Dame.  Not a good time for the oldies. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I'm not happy either.  Though it's mainly due to the fact that this could have (and TBH, should have) been a series.  No excuse for Game 2.

Of course you'll get your ultra Lakers fans saying that LA could've swept them if things or two fell their way.

While nothing changes in terms of Denver actually succeeding, this should have been a decent, back & forth series unlike last year.  It is amazing though how LA led in every game.  Usually when you can't ever beat someone, it's over by halftime down 30

• Like 2

It’s been the Lakers mojo all season- leading the first three quarters and then falling apart in the fourth. Last year, they would fall apart in the third. I guess Denver will take care of business game 5, but with Denver getting more FTs the conspiracy theorists won’t have anything to whine about today.

19 hours ago, Carey said:

While nothing changes in terms of Denver actually succeeding, this should have been a decent, back & forth series unlike last year.  It is amazing though how LA led in every game.  Usually when you can't ever beat someone, it's over by halftime down 30

Denver has a tendency to play with its food, much like GSW in its glory days. And with a team as old as the Lakers, sure, why not let them tire themselves out before getting serious?

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Denver has a tendency to play with its food, much like GSW in its glory days. And with a team as old as the Lakers, sure, why not let them tire themselves out before getting serious?

Hopefully they will not do that against Boston, or they will be in trouble.  That should be a series, but if they end up being lazy, the Celtics really only need to win one out West.

More important, hopefully they will not do that against OKC.  In more important, I pretty much mean a team you might want to respect before another team

The Milwaukee/Indiana game is wayy more interesting than it has any right to be, what with Giannis + Dame out, Khris Middleton on two busted ankles, and Indiana hitting seemingly everything from three. 

(edited)

Timberwolves swept the Suns!

Poor Chris Finch, knocked over by Mike Conley and getting a knee injury.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Sad 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Carey said:
16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Hopefully they will not do that against Boston, or they will be in trouble.  That should be a series, but if they end up being lazy, the Celtics really only need to win one out West.

I will take Denver over Boston if they meet in the Finals. I'm very certain that Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown will find a way to fall flat on their faces just like they did against those Warriors. Besides, why would anyone want to root for the Celtics over the Nuggets (or Timberwolves, Mavericks)?

As for the Suns, does anybody really feel sad for them after they got swept & got their asses kicked by the Timberwolves? Because I sure don't. And I didn't realize till yesterday that they're really going to suck for a while. HA HA HA!!

Phoenix Suns Offseason Guide: TRADE Kevin Durant?! The Suns’ options… | NBA on ESPN

Kevin Durant can go enjoy rotting for those losers. I really wanted to feel "very sad" for him being involved in a very crappy & expensive team with a bleak future like the Suns. But then I get remind of his 2 NBA Titles & Finals MVP from those scummy Warriors beating the Cavaliers twice (🤬) & my sadness for his current situation with Suns instantly evaporates. He made his bed & he better lay in it. Jerk.

BTW, it was very funny seeing the Suns going fishing last night.

"Wait, We're The First Team To Get Eliminated?" 🤣 | The Phoenix Suns Are Gone Fishin' 🎣 | NBA on TNT

As for the Lakers, DLo actually gives a damn in Game 4. Now, we need to see if he keeps giving a damn in Game 5 tonight. I know that ESPN is really hoping for a Lakers win tonight so they can really have something to talk about tomorrow.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

Jamal Murray, designated Laker assassin. I knew when it was tied he’d win the game for them again. Mr. Clutch- congrats to the Nuggets again.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

Nuggets 108 - Lakers 106. Jamal Murray with the game-winner. That was a lot of fun to watch. 

The Lakers fought like hell tonight. Sadly for them, they failed.  

• Like 2

Here's the thing: It would be insulting to comment on the Lakers hitting the golf course.  It shouldn't be, but it might be embarrassing if LA got a head start toward "THE MATCH" before the following...

Jokic, Murray emulate the past, overcome an 8-shot deficit at the 18th to topple James, Davis on TNT

1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

THANK YOU, JAMAL MURRAY!!!!;

Now I can enjoy the rest of the playoffs. 😀

Just as long as he doesn't turn the ball over doing the same thing in Boston before Tatum hits a series winning shot at the buzzer

Look, everyone. Boston has yet to progress past the first round and Porzingis hurt his leg. Let's not put them into the Finals just yet.

I actually think New York will be a challenge for them, not looking past these effin' Heat.

• Like 1

Despite my "joke" of Denver humiliating L.A. being more important than repeating (losing to Boston would not go well for the Lakers), y'all are right.  Still a little premature to crown both conference favorites.  I still expect them both to win at the end of the day, but as mentioned, Minnesota is going to give Denver some problems.  Not sure about OKC since they don't match up well.

If Denver does survive, that helps Boston since the latter would be well-rested and Denver not so much.  Except assuming Boston will be well-rested is not automatic either.  As mentioned, they might not even win their conference.  I still think they will, but the notion from someone that it's a lock that they'd run through the East isn't a safe bet.

Should Boston beat Denver, it'll be due to the better team winning, I believe.  OTOH, the opposite outcome probably is a slightly better bet.  Finally, if anyone other than Denver wins the West, it's either Boston's title to lose or it's a very good NBA Finals (especially if New York gets there.  Not sure about Indiana).

Finally, there's no good reason, or great reason for Ham to still be in his position.  If he makes it to May, that might be a miracle

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

Should Boston beat Denver, it'll be due to the better team winning, I believe.  OTOH, the opposite outcome probably is a slightly better bet.  Finally, if anyone other than Denver wins the West, it's either Boston's title to lose or it's a very good NBA Finals (especially if New York gets there.  Not sure about Indiana).

It'll be a root for the Western Conference winner all the way in those Finals. There is no way in hell that either the Celtics or (especially) Knicks are remotely rootable. Now, I don't mind somewhat rooting for Indiana.

As for LeBron, him & his team are going away for the season. But, LeBron is not "going away." I'm sure that ESPN is find a way to invoke him in some way in the Playoffs. Whether, if its by showing us his Social Media (which they do all the time sadly) during the rest of the Playoffs, talking about possibly leaving the Lakers (I think he's somewhat of a Free Agent this offseason), and/of that very stupid stomach-turning, migraine-inducing legacy-GOAT debate nonsense.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Magog said:

It'll be a root for the Western Conference winner all the way in those Finals. There is no way in hell that either the Celtics or (especially) Knicks are remotely rootable. Now, I don't mind somewhat rooting for Indiana.

As for LeBron, him & his team are going away for the season. But, LeBron is not "going away." I'm sure that ESPN is find a way to invoke him in some way in the Playoffs. Whether, if its by showing us his Social Media (which they do all the time sadly) during the rest of the Playoffs, talking about possibly leaving the Lakers (I think he's somewhat of a Free Agent this offseason), and/of that very stupid stomach-turning, migraine-inducing legacy-GOAT debate nonsense.

I want to say he has a player option for next season? Is there any word on what Bronny plans to do and/or does LeBron still want to play with him? (More importantly, does Bronny want it to forever be a question in the back of his mind if the eventual team that drafts him only did so to get his dad for a season?)

6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

(More importantly, does Bronny want it to forever be a question in the back of his mind if the eventual team that drafts him only did so to get his dad for a season?)

It's not a question - Bronny Smith doesn't get drafted at all, just like Bronny Smith doesn't have NIL deals worth millions.

7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

(Lakers 27-9 free throw differential, lmfao.)

If you really think the NBA is trying to swing things, don't you think they would have done it in game 2 or 3 instead of waiting for their supposed favorite team to go down 3-1?

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2

I meant to write the following a week ago, possibly before Game 3 & probably after it.  I didn't do so after Game 4 even though the series outcome was what I thought.

Whether LeBron plays with his son or goes elsewhere should be known by this time next year.  He's not going to retire, but unless failing is the side, he might as well retire.  That's if he returns to LA for a 7th season.

There is absolutely nothing to prove or do for the Lakers anymore, at this point.  You gave Buss & company another title.  James is not passing Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, etc in terms of greatest for that franchise.  If LBJ stays in LA & they win 4 titles that may be debatable.  2 in as many year or 2 in three years isn't passing anyone either.

Herd said that a move to GS would be ideal.  Plus, if you added someone like PG and/or Young, that might help conquer Denver.  IDK.  The champs aren't the only threat in the West.  Minnesota and even OKC are rising.  Still a lineup for the 4 time champions would be decent.  IMO, the fact that they're playing together this summer might motivate them to continue to play together in 2024-2025.

However, while I don't have a say, I don't want to see LeBron James as a Laker anymore.  Especially when you have options.  Say what you will in terms of what LBJ wanted; TPTB there didn't do a great job adding the right stuff to the organization

BTW, I've opted out of blaming the league and/or the refs for outcomes of the games.  The reason why is due to the fact that if there was a mistake made, an unnecessary decision, or no action that warrants one, they are not the only people that errored.  The players & coaches got a lot more wrong throughout the game, both the winners & losers.  Not something that gets mentioned with the sports world

Edited by Carey

I have to really hand it to the 76ers. They worked really hard to give the game to the Knicks. I can see why Embid is the MVP. No one was getting the ball stripped as hard in the paint tonight. Except for Maxey. He actually seemed to realize you're supposed to score points. 

At least we're getting some OT, but wow was that a terrible half. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
10 hours ago, Carey said:

How does New York blow that?  And I shouldn't have to ask that question but prior to Game 5, the series has played out in a way that wasn't something I'd bet big on

I don't know how the Knicks choked away a 6 point lead with 28 seconds left & a 5 point lead in Overtime. But, I absolutely enjoyed it. Hopefully, we will see more of that from the Knicks in Game 6. That ending really put a smile on my face. 😁

I know that Mike Greenberg was very sad about that ending this morning. But frankly, he can get bent & get lost.

BTW, the Cavaliers won last night & they're up 3-2 on the Magic. Yay.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2