Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I like some of Drake's songs but I hate him when he's standing on the sidelines at basketball games, mouthing off at the opponents.  Just once, I wish he'd get an "accidental" elbow to the mouth by one of the opposing players.  I know celebrities sit on the sidelines, like Spike Lee and Jack Nicholson, but I don't remember seeing anyone standing up, mouthing off like he does.      

I don't mind this at all.

Drake is a fan when he's at the game, so as long as he doesn't touch anybody or get onto the playing surface I feel he's free to say whatever he wants (within reason.)

When you go to the game do you not yell and mouth off at opposing players? I know I do, I've never done it from courtside cause I don't have thousands to burn on courtside seats, but if I had the means to sit courtside I probably would continue to yell and mouth off, it's what fans do and how you make home court a hostile place for opponents.

Why is it different when Drake does it?

Edited by Maximum Taco

I don't like it when Drake or anyone else does it, especially when they're on the sidelines close to the players.  I hope I've  made myself clear.  It's just my opinion. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Even when the Trail Blazers were up by double digits at the end of the 3rd quarter (87-76), I still didn't think they would win the game. I didn't think the Trail Blazers have a chance to win a game in the series to begin with. This series is most certainly over. There is next to no reason to even watch Game 3 & 4. Whoever is the winner of the Thunder - Spurs should be trembling in fear right now because they (especially the Thunder) have no chance against the Warriors, with or without Curry. 

Since Magic Johnson tweeted that he wants Kevin Durant, LeBron James, and/or DeMar Derozan to play for the Lakers next season, I'm surprised that he didn't mention Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, or Draymont Green to come to the Lakers.

Edited by Magog

Last night was a lot of fun to watch. 25 3 pointers made to set an NBA record. 

I just hope that they save some of that stuff when the Golden State Warriors come around again. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought that Portland got a nice and (much needed win) against the Warriors tonight. Damian Lillard played great. I think he's underrated and I wonder how good this Portland team would have been if they had never lost Lamarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum and other players that they lost. They could have been a very good young team that could have really rivaled the Warriors and other teams if they had managed to hold onto those players. 

I wonder when Steph will return. I think that the Warriors could end up making it past the Blazers even if he doesn't return in this round. But I do think they will have a harder time defeating the Spurs, if he's not back by the next round.

Also, I think that the Toronto/Miami series is the most interesting series so far in this second round. I definitely think it is the most competitive of the matchups in this round. I am interested in seeing how things play out in that series. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I thought that Portland got a nice and (much needed win) against the Warriors tonight. Damian Lillard played great. I think he's underrated and I wonder how good this Portland team would have been if they had never lost Lamarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum and other players that they lost. They could have been a very good young team that could have really rivaled the Warriors and other teams if they had managed to hold onto those players. 

I'm actually shocked that Portland won last night. I expected them to play dead after game 2 & they somehow won. Well, I'm sure that the Warriors will put them in their place in game 4, with or without Curry. 

• Love 1

If the Warriors beat Portland in Game 4, they'd be silly to bring Curry back before a potential Game 7. Give him as much time to be physically right for the conference finals as you possibly can. He can knock off any "rust" in practice.

If Portland wins again, that's when things start to get interesting. Do you play Curry if you're deadlocked at 2-2? You certainly have to play him if the Blazers win the next 2 and Golden State goes down 3-2 (which, for the record, I don't see happening).

(edited)

I wish that the Hawks could have pulled out a win tonight and made this series against Cleveland more competitive. But unfortunately, they just didn’t get enough production from their team as a whole to make that happen. (Even though they got close) I do think that Dennis Schroder was hustling tonight and that Kris Humphries provided a nice spark off the bench for the Hawks, but that the production from other players (like Al Horford and Jeff Teague wasn’t there.)Al is one of my favorite players, but he really didn’t have a very strong game tonight. I wish he would have tried to score more in the paint, instead of shooting multiple failed three pointers.

Kevin Love being left open to shoot a lot of threes also had a big impact on this game. The Cavaliers team as a whole has been shooting well behind the 3pt line the last few games. If they keep this up, this could really help them should they go against a good three pointing shooting teams like the Spurs/Warriors.  

The Cavaliers now get a chance to get a nice rest break. Tonight on NBA countdown Doug Collins mentioned they had only played like 8 games in 31 days. While some teams can get rusty if they rest a lot, I think that the rest that the Cavs has been helping them. I wonder who they will face off against from the Heat/Raptors matchup.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Great game from the Thunder. They finally closed out a game the right way and didn't choke in the 4th quarter. I really like both teams, but I'm rooting for the Thunder this time. 

• Love 1
On 2016-05-02 at 0:07 PM, Maximum Taco said:

The 6 (sometimes stylized as 6ix) is a nickname for the City of Toronto.

Toronto is made up of 6 boroughs that all used to be separate cities, Old Toronto, York, North York, East York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough

And Toronto's area codes are 416 and 647.

Thanks Maximum Taco!! Yeah, I know Toronto is made up of those boroughs - I live in MIssissauga (aka part of the GTA) which is right next to TO and close to Etobicoke! But I haven't heard of that nickname yet for Hogtown! Probably because I am old and not hip with the new lingo. *grin*

I thought for sure it was the 6th man though. Explains why the free T-Shirts they were giving out at the ACC has 416 on it! Thanks again!

As a Blue Devil fan, it is a lot of fun to go from watching Luol Deng and Justise Winslow to Gerald Henderson and Mason Plumlee.  Mason is the best Plumlee.

I have to enjoy it now, because it's not bloody likely any of them will sniff the Finals.

(edited)

Being a Raptors fan is so freaking frustrating.

We probably win this game if we have JV, or if DeRozan is even half the player he is in the regular season.

That's why DWade is a superstar though, he elevates in the postseason.

Gotta think all Toronto/Miami is doing is wearing the opponent out for Lebron and the Cavs. Each game this battle continues it makes the Eastern Final outcome more and more assured.

WOW, Portland is just rolling with the Warriors. Not quite there yet, but they are close. They told us: Never Doubt Rip City. Maybe they were right. Blazers are gonna be scary very soon.

Edited by Maximum Taco
(edited)

WOW, Portland is just rolling with the Warriors. They told us, Never Doubt Rip City. Maybe they were right.

This series is officially over. Stephen Curry came back & put the Trail Blazers in their place. He flat out took over most of the 4th Quarter & Overtime. Even though the Trail Blazers were up for most of the game, I still didn't think they would win this game. There is no reason to even watch anymore of this series (game 5). I hope that the Trail Blazers have started their "Gone Fishing" right now because it is over.

I'm sure that the Spurs & Thunder are shaking in their boots right now, because whoever comes out of that series, Stephen Curry will certainly humiliate them. 

The Cavs were insane tonight!  As great as their offense was, their defense was impressive as well.  Glad they're jelling.

Well, after watching tonight's Warriors - Trail Blazers game, they are certainly going to need it if they meet. Its nice that the Cavaliers are 8-0 in the playoffs, but its going to get very rough from here on out. Frankly, I want these guys in the Finals. I want some revenge. It pisses me off that I have to constantly hear about the Warriors motivation for trying to win the title this season (people thinking they beat the Cavs without 2 of their best players (Kevin Love & Kyrie Irving) was flawed). The Warriors have their title. I'm still waiting for the Cavaliers to get theirs so that ESPN would shut up about 1964 & put an end to them gushing about Stephen Curry. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

See now this is one of the reasons that I hate LeBron*.

Mike Miller is on Mike & Mike and he was talking about Golden State and then interrupted himself while making a point and said "this is why LeBron is going to be in his sixth straight Finals."

No.  Fuck off dude.  I don't care how unlikely it may be, but if you are trying to be a professional talking head, it is incredibly disrespectful to Toronto and Miami to just dismiss them like that.  Fuck it, just send them both home, there is obviously no reason for them to continue their series, right?

*Caveat - I fully understand that this particular thing is not LeBron's fault.  However, the hype machine has made me hate him since he was 16 years old and I have not wavered.  And LeBron has made some boneheaded decisions throughout his career and just because someone is talented, doesn't mean they have a great personality and also his arrogance is irritating.  To me, IMO, etc. etc.

Anyone feeling sorry for the Warriors and Curry now? Looks like another ring at the high level Curry is playing after his injury. Poor Portland looked so good at the beginning then let their foot go off the gas pedal.

Not surprised that Steph won the MVP award again. It was nice to see Steve Nash be one of the people who introduced him. BTW, was there a lot of fanfare when Steve Nash retired (press conference, etc)? I remember his retirement being very quiet. i.e. I didn't know he'd retired until I saw a ticker on the bottom of the ESPN screen. 

(edited)

I am glad that OKC closed out the series against the Spurs tonight and is advancing to the Western Conference finals.  I like how well the team has been playing the past few games and I like how it’s become more of a team effort for them to win games. Stephen Adams has been impressing me, he’s plays kind of “nasty” to me and I think that is a good thing, lol.  I am very happy to see KD and Russell return to another final.

The Spurs are currently one of my least favorite teams in the league so I am not sorry to see them eliminated. I have gotten tired of things like some analysts acting like it’s the end of the world if Tim Duncan doesn’t ever win a sixth championship. Or like like their dynasty will be tarnished if they don’t advance to yet another NBA final.  

But I definitely acknowledge that they are a very talented team (and overall a nice group of men) and their outstanding play in the past 17 years is a big reason why they have won 5 championships.  But I want to watch younger and newer talent on other teams shine.

I think that the final four could end up being pretty interesting if we get an OKC/GSW and possibly Cavs/Miami final four. I think that we could have some interesting storylines there.  We would have a Golden State team returning as the champs with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder, the Cavs looking for revenge with a healthier team, DWade playing better than he has in years and Kevin Durant and Westbrook reminding people that they are still two of the best players in the world.

Edited by Jx223

If this was Duncan's last game (but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't) then that is not a final image I wanted to remember him by. Flat on his back after being stuffed on a must have dunk.

• Love 1

I dont get the talk about "the last image of [insert aging athlete]" thing.  Does anyone ever bring up Jordan's last couple years with the Wizards?  When you've had a great career like, Jordan, Kobe, Duncan you dont need to go "out on top".  They already have the cake, icing and sprinkles.   Maybe a player like Peyton Manning might have needed that last championship (since his overall playoff record is terrible), but a couple years from now nobody is gonna be talking about Duncan getting blocked or whatever happened at the end of the game.  

The thing I dont like about Lebron is his passive-aggressiveness.  Why all of a sudden does the MVP need to be redefined THIS year (when Steph Curry won it)?  The definition was fine when he won it playing with 2 hall of famers (Wade and Bosh), no? And no Im not discounting his value to that team or the Cavs teams. I couldnt name 2 players on the Cavs teams he played on his first stint before going to Miami and he dragged that team to the Finals one year, so I get it.  Point is, whatever the definition the voters use to vote Curry the MVP this year, is what they've used for everybody else.  Usually its the best player on the best team, who has the stats to back it up.  I just find Lebron's hot take to be somewhat dismissive and sour grapes-y.

• Love 2
(edited)

Congrats to Toronto and their fans for going to their first ever Eastern Conference Finals. :) They played very well tonight, especially Kyle Lowry and Bismarck Biyombo. I had wanted the Heat to advance, but it is nice to see Toronto reach this milestone with the help of their young talent. I am also happy for Duane Casey. 

Regarding the Heat, I think that the absence of Bosh and Hassan Whiteside definitely hurt them.  Even though Dwayne Wade has played better than he has in a few years. I also think that Justise Winslow has been a good addition to the team. I thought he was solid tonight and I appreciated his efforts even when the game became out of reach. He kept his composure and hung in there and fought for his team to the end.  I am interested in seeing what happens in free agency for the Heat, because they have a lot of free agents, including several of their starters/key players. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Hell ya Toronto!!! They destroyed Miami!! That's my team!!

I will admit - I was worried that the Raps would mess up and allow Miami to catch up. But when you have Biyombo, Lowry and DeRozan playing like they did, good luck other teams!! If only Toronto could sort out their free throws....

Also, I love the fans in TO. Leafs fans in the good seats are all corporate people in suits, paying more attention to their iPhones, than the game. It's nice to see Toronto fans actually be proper fans.

And I'm not worried about Cleveland - they might be too cocky thinking about their 4-0 runs and too rested. Rusty, as they say....It's gonna be a good series.

• Love 1

Well, tonight is the night! I've been reading stuff all morning about how Durant and Westbrook are going to dominate, so I am looking forward to my Warriors kicking it up a notch and playing a lot better than they did against Portland. If the refs can just stop Curry from being knocked around quite so much then this should be an enjoyable game!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2016 at 7:17 PM, HalcyonDays said:

Hell ya Toronto!!! They destroyed Miami!! That's my team!!

I will admit - I was worried that the Raps would mess up and allow Miami to catch up. But when you have Biyombo, Lowry and DeRozan playing like they did, good luck other teams!! If only Toronto could sort out their free throws....

Also, I love the fans in TO. Leafs fans in the good seats are all corporate people in suits, paying more attention to their iPhones, than the game. It's nice to see Toronto fans actually be proper fans.

And I'm not worried about Cleveland - they might be too cocky thinking about their 4-0 runs and too rested. Rusty, as they say....It's gonna be a good series.

Super pumped that the Raptors are on to round 3 for the first time in their history! Officially the best season in franchise history!

I am very worried about the Cavs though, ripping through two teams, one of which was actually pretty good, and the Raptors are still without Valanciunas, Biyombo was fine when Miami was down to rookie centres after losing Bosh and Whiteside, I'm not sure he'll be able to be effective against a healthy Cleveland squad. I do hope the Raps can give the Cavs a better challenge then they got in the first two rounds anyway.

LET'S GO RAPTORS!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think that the Warriors are going to beat the Thunder in 5 games. The Thunder will find ways to lose in the 4 Quarter & Stephen Curry is licking his chops over humiliating them again like he did during the regular season. This series will not be going 7 like a lot of people are predicting. 

If it wasn't for the Cavaliers being the opponent in the Eastern Conference Finals, then I wouldn't have a problem rooting for the Raptors. Its not going to be a cakewalk, but the Cavaliers will find a way to get it done. Hopefully, there won't be a repeat of what happened in 2009 (losing to the Magic).

Tomorrow night is the NBA Draft Lottery. I really hope that the Lakers and the Knicks do not get a top 3 pick in the lottery. 

Edited by Magog

You don't have to worry about the Knicks getting into the top three. Toronto owns their pick.

And I also hope the Lakers don't make the top three. Because if they don't my Sixers get the pick.

(edited)

I really enjoyed tonight's game. I thought that Russell Westbrook did a great job tonight helping OKC get a win against GSW. He really struggled during the first half, but he kept hustling and had a great second half. He really ended up being a big difference maker for OKC. I also thought that Steven Adams continues to be very helpful to the team. 

But OKC has to be careful with all the turnovers they keep having, GSW could really end up capitalizing off of that, if OKC keeps that up.  I also hope that Kevin Durant ends up playing better.

I think that this series could end up being an very entertaining series.  

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I hope this Thunder team shows up for the rest of the series against the Warriors instead of getting excited over this win and then fading away. sure the Warriors will cream them game two, but maybe OKC will play well in front of their crowd and end up winning this series. One can hope.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

I hope this Thunder team shows up for the rest of the series against the Warriors instead of getting excited over this win and then fading away. sure the Warriors will cream them game two, but maybe OKC will play well in front of their crowd and end up winning this series. One can hope.

I think that it would be interesting if OKC ended up playing spoiler and made it back to the NBA finals. I wouldn't mind seeing KD/Russ possibly end up with a ring. I would be happy for them if that happened.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Breaking away for a minute from playoff results talk, I had an idea that I would be curious to hear reaction to from NBA fans, such as the people who post here.  Much discussion has been given on what to do to prevent "hack-a-whoever" strategies, and it got me to thinking.  First, if you just want to stop intentional fouling, the answer is simple, give coaches the authority to decline fouls, like they do in the NFL, and just retain possession of the ball, with a reset of the shot clock.

But I would like to go further.  Most would agree, I think, that the fewer free throws, the better the game.  Free throws just slow things down.  So, here is my proposal.  Until the penalty is reached, things remain as they are on common fouls, side out, reset the shot clock.  But, once the penalty is reached, a common foul results in one penalty point being awarded to the offended team, and we go the other way.  A shooting foul where the FG is missed results in a penalty point awarded and two free throws. If the FG is successful, count the bucket and automatically award the one penalty point. Again, the coach has the authority to decline the foul, as described above. Free throws are not completely eliminated, but they are greatly reduced, and we spend our time free flowing instead of free throwing.  What do you think, am I a mad genius or just an idiot?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, twoods said:

I knew the Cavs would beat the Raptors but not that badly. Yikes. 

I was expecting a let down for the first game. Maybe not quite that bad, but definitely I was expecting a convincing win for the Cavs. Although I was hoping my Raptors could at least give them a challenge. 

But the Raps are just typically terrible at series openers (pretty sure they are winless in Game 1s), not to mention the Cavs have been waiting and probably champing at the bit to get going again. This was a storm that just broke.

Game 2 I think will be a closer indication of what kind of Raptors team this is. I still expect the Cavs to roll over them, but not quite as easily as they did in Game 1.

• Love 1

Okay, now normal service has been resumed. Thank you Warriors for finding your groove again. Please do not vault over any more tables, Steph, as my heart can't take that ever again. Hope you all enjoyed the rest of the game as much as I did!

• Love 1
On 2016-05-18 at 11:27 AM, Maximum Taco said:

I was expecting a let down for the first game. Maybe not quite that bad, but definitely I was expecting a convincing win for the Cavs. Although I was hoping my Raptors could at least give them a challenge. 

But the Raps are just typically terrible at series openers (pretty sure they are winless in Game 1s), not to mention the Cavs have been waiting and probably champing at the bit to get going again. This was a storm that just broke.

Game 2 I think will be a closer indication of what kind of Raptors team this is. I still expect the Cavs to roll over them, but not quite as easily as they did in Game 1.

Man, I hope so. They (the Raps) started out well, then got...I don't know, lazy? Complacent? Were understandably tired because of going to Game 7 2X?

Don't disappoint me, Toronto? We are more than an "Other" in a poll!!! And the fans are awesome!!