Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Im not convinced the Cavs will make it to the finals anymore, and if they do, they wont win...

And I dont even know what to say about Blatt! The way its being reported that Lebron has been undermining Blatt pretty much from the beginning is disgusting. This one actually falls more on Blatt/management. They're all allowing Lebron to run the asylum. They say he's taking himself out of games whenever he wants, waving off plays/substitutions that Blatt wants to run, etc. My thing is since there's clearly no respect there why didnt the powers that be go out and get another coach in the offseason.

Cavs fire David Blatt.

I sure hope that the team had been considering the move for a while and is not overreacting to one bad loss.

I feel bad for David Blatt. I don't think that the team really respected him much, especially LeBron. Lebron seemed to be taking over a lot of the time when it came to coaching the team. I think that many time David Blatt looked like he knew he wasn't in control and was just trying to hang in there.  It seems like Lebron preferred to have Tyronn Lue as the Head Coach,  and that is what he is now getting. I wonder what will happen with them now. I don't see them winning the finals this year. I think some of the teams in the West are better than them (like Golden State and the Spurs) and I think that the East is more competitive than it was last year.

Stephen A. Smith said that major changes would have to be made in order for them to possibly win.  He suggested earlier this week, that they had to either fire Blatt and or/trade Kevin Love. I wonder if they will end up doing both things. Maybe they will get rid of Kevin Love as well.

Edited by Jx223

Well looks like I spoke a little too soon in my earlier post there. I still stand by the idea that they should have fired Blatt in the offseason. I guess the only thing that makes this palatable in terms of creating/keeping continuity is that there were reports that most of the players were turning to Ty Lue *anyway* for the past couple of years. And Im sure he has Lebron's stamp of approval and obviously Lebron has some experience to lean on regarding winning a chip after switching coaches mid season. But Im definitely not going to put Lue's resume up against Pat Riley's.

Edited by FuriousStyles

I feel kind of bad for Blatt. It's possible that he was the right hire for a very young Cavs team. But then LeBron decided to return and remake the roster and Blatt was a dead man walking.

• Love 2

I feel kind of bad for Blatt. It's possible that he was the right hire for a very young Cavs team. But then LeBron decided to return and remake the roster and Blatt was a dead man walking.

Maybe he was a good fit for a younger team, who would have been a bit more patient. He was hired before Lebron decided to come back. Maybe things might have worked out better for him in Cleveland, had Lebron not come back and they had kept Wiggins and built off of things from there. Maybe he will get an opportunity to be on a coaching staff again in the NBA.

Steve Kerr wanted him as an assistant before the Cavs hired him. Had he went there he would have the opportunity to coach them for a bit, while Steve Kerr was out with his injury and that could have a good experience for him. I think that the Warriors would have shown him a lot more respect than the Cavs players did.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Well looks like I spoke a little too soon in my earlier post there. I still stand by the idea that they should have fired Blatt in the offseason. I guess the only thing that makes this palatable in terms of creating/keeping continuity is that there were reports that most of the players were turning to Ty Lue *anyway* for the past couple of years. And Im sure he has Lebron's stamp of approval and obviously Lebron has some experience to lean on regarding winning a chip after switching coaches mid season. But Im definitely not going to put Lue's resume up against Pat Riley's.

Unless I've blacked out on something, LeBron never won a ring with a mid-season coaching switch or with Pat Riley coaching.  Spoelstra was the coach for LeBron's entire tenure in Miami, which is the only place LeBron's won a ring.  I believe Riley took over the reigns for Wade's earlier win (I think the '05-'06 season), getting rid of Stan Van Gundy at some point during the regular season. 

• Love 1

^^^You're right. I dont know why I mixed those situations up. I remember something happening in Lebron's first season in Miami, and for some reason thought it was that Riley got rid of Gundy, coached the team to the chip and then the 2nd year gave the reigns to Spo.

Oh well, then I guess Lebron is fucked. I think there were reports he wanted to get rid of Spo during his second year coaching too....after they lost in the finals, but basically Riley was having none of that. I just want to know when Lebron is gonna get the "coach killer" label. Other players have been saddled with it for a lot less.

I can't say that I'm surprised that David Blatt got fired. He seems like a nice guy, but that no-show against the Warriors on Monday Night was a nail to the coffin. Even that Clippers victory on Thursday didn't put a smile on my face. 

The players may like Tyrone Lue, but I'm very skeptical of him. I'm not that excited about him. That loss to the Bulls wasn't as irritating as those losses to the Warriors, but I still find it annoying. I'm not sure if he could get this team out of its funk & get them to the championship. 

^^^You're right. I dont know why I mixed those situations up. I remember something happening in Lebron's first season in Miami, and for some reason thought it was that Riley got rid of Gundy, coached the team to the chip and then the 2nd year gave the reigns to Spo.

Oh well, then I guess Lebron is fucked. I think there were reports he wanted to get rid of Spo during his second year coaching too....after they lost in the finals, but basically Riley was having none of that. I just want to know when Lebron is gonna get the "coach killer" label. Other players have been saddled with it for a lot less.

I think LeBron probably figured that, since Riley did it once, he'd do it again.  And I don't buy the "LeBron was so surprised they fired Blatt" thing for even a second.  He wanted Lue from the start, and he led the team's freezing out of Blatt to focus on Lue.  If this surprised him, I assume he's also surprised when he goes out to dinner and the waiter brings him the exact entree he ordered.  Everyone is just going out of their way to protect his reputation. 

• Love 1

Totally agree. I think Lebron is playing the semantics game. He probably didnt know exactly *when* Blatt was gonna get fired, so yea he probably did find out about the firing when the other players did, but I dont believe for a second he was surprised or didnt know it would happen at all. The GM and Cavs org. would have to be insane to make big changes like this without Lebron's (silent) approval.

I remember Ty Lue from his playing days in LA. He was a pretty good defender, that infamous exchange with Allen Iverson notwithstanding, but what makes him such a great coach? What has he done that Lebron would take to him so eagerly? Lebron just seems like he's never satisfied. Everybody else is better than the one he's got.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Im curious as to what led to the confrontation. Blake has never struck me as a hot head and I dont remember ever hearing about him getting into trouble so what the hell set him off? And then to hit the guy so hard you break your hand? Damnnn. Hope the guy is alright.

I assumed GSW would win the game against the Spurs, but would never have predicted a 30 pt victory. Wow. Its GSW and really just everybody else. Was this how it was during the Bulls reign in the 90s, or was there actually still some suspense during the season(s)?

Blake also got into a fight with someone at a club in 2014 for taking his picture. He does have a history, but what an idiot to let his teammates down because he couldn't control his anger.

I assumed GSW would win the game against the Spurs, but would never have predicted a 30 pt victory. Wow. Its GSW and really just everybody else

I wouldn't put too much stock in that...there was no Duncan and the Spurs didn't come to play at all. They sucked plain and simple. Not how they've been on the norm this season. 

I wouldn't put too much stock in that...there was no Duncan and the Spurs didn't come to play at all. They sucked plain and simple. Not how they've been on the norm this season.

I dont know what Duncan could have done to neutralize a 30 pt deficit. And thats no disrespect to him. Im sure he would have been a presense in the middle and helped to run the offense a bit better which probably would have cut down on the Spurs 20+ turnovers. But IMO, GS didnt play at their best either. They had a bunch of turnovers too and still won by 30, to the point where Curry didnt even have to play a second of the 4th quarter.

More than Duncan, where was LaMarcus Aldridge? His "absense" would concern me if I were a Spurs fan. I dont know if he's still trying to fit in, or if Pop hasnt quite figured out how to use him. I dont watch many Spurs games so I really dont know. But I think he would have to be a more prominent figure if the Spurs want to beat GS in the playoffs.

So im watching NBA Countdown and I must say kudos to Doris Burke for calling out Lebron (as much as she could). Jalen and Chauncey were predictably on the player's side. Doris said she agreed changes needed to be made but that Lebron could have conducted himself with a bit more "touch". Lol.

Speaking of Lebron, how the hell can he say he's never undermined a coach or did what he wanted to when he himself readily admitted last playoffs that he waved off an inbounds play Blatt wanted to run in favor of his own. And there are dozens of people on the sidelines who can see for themselves when Lebron takes himself out of games and whatever else.

Why on earth did Silver decide to go with Pop as the West coach for the All Star game? 

The leauge made a rule to keep the championship coaches from showing up year after year so what better way to do that than put a guy who (officially) hasn't coached a single game in charge? (Plus, I'm tired of Pop's act during interviews. There's now way Walton wouldn't be more fun for an event that's supposed be pure entertainment.)

I thought that they couldn't give it to GS because Kerr coached the game last season. Walton would have been pretty cool. As a Lakers fan, I love to see him succeed.

Edited by twoods

They gave it to Pop, who's probably the reason they made the rule in the first place. Smh. I just dont understand why they couldnt let Walton do it. Its a meaningless exhibition game. I could understand if this was baseball where the all-star game has real playoff implications, but its not. The NBA All-Star weekend is all about having fun, so I just dont get why they're being so uptight about this.

The media (well, Kenny Smith and Co.) are livid that Tyronn Lue will be coaching the East for the All Star Game. They feel he doesn't deserve it since he just became a head coach. True, he might not deserve it, but the rules state that he's the one to coach it. 

Popovich after last night's dismantling by the Warriors, "Good thing the GM wasn't in the locker room or I might've gotten fired." Oooh, the Pop snark, it burns, it burns!

I just love Pop. A few years ago he listed "Old" as the official reason that Tim Duncan would be sitting out a game. And Tim is still playing! Remarkable. 

(edited)

Sting is the headline performer for the All Star Game?

What the hell was Silver thinking? He's in danger of burning up all that goodwill he got for kicking out Sterling!

Edited by xaxat

Oh nice. I assume she's debuts tonight? It'll be nice to have a fresh perspective especially in the studio. Wally Szczerbiak and Alan Hahn can get tiresome, but at least they've stopped the pissing contests.

I recall sometime earlier in the season the TNT crew had Lisa Leslie on as a guest. She definitely held her own with Shaq and Barkley, which is a feat in itself.

The All-Star game is in Toronto, so I guess it would have been too obvious to get Drake (you know, someone who's actually relevant) to perform?

Drake would have been perfect. I do like Sting though. Maybe Drake will come out on stage and they can have a duet.

Lisa Leslie did a lot of Lakers post game shows on ABC. I always liked her comments, and her critiques were spot on. It would have been nice to see her with Shaq and Charles.

Edited by twoods

Stephen A. has done his best all week to hype this game up.  He thinks the Warriors will still win (as do I) but it'll be close...if, according to him, Russell Westbrook has anything to say about it.  I'm still very much looking forward to the game.  Ill be flipping back and forth between this and NFL Honors show.

Tonight's game between the Warriors/Golden State did end up being close like some people predicted. But in the end even with strong efforts by Russell  Warriors did many of the things they did best and executed at the end. They really are on another level and they have great energy. Good effort by the Thunder and Iooking forward to seeing more battles in the West this season especially during the playoffs.

Also, ESPN is reporting that the Kings are considering firing George Karl. In general I try not to wish for people to lose their jobs (especially good paying ones) and I like George Karl.  But I am not surprised by this news. With all the tension that has been reported regarding him and DeMarcus including a report a little while ago, that DeMarcus was yelling at him at a meeting or something. He made a big mistake when he came in and intended to trade DeMarcus quickly. That caused a lot of friction between the two of them. I wonder who they will eventually end up getting to replace him if they do fire him.

Why am I not surprised that the Warriors beat the Thunder? I never ever thought that the Thunder would even win that game & I'm kind of surprised that the game was that close. 

Other than the Western Conference Finals being on TNT this season, there is pretty much no reason to watch the Western Conference Playoffs this season because it is pretty much over. I don't know who is going to get the 8th seed, but that team might as well just lay down & play dead. 

I already know who is going to be MVP of the All Star Game next game (Stephen Curry), so I know that its going to be torture to watch.

Steph Curry? I thought it was a foregone conclusion KOBE would be All-Star MVP because its his last.

That was a pretty decent game it turned out to be, after the Dubs squandered another 20 pt lead. Im waiting for a team to really burn them one day with that nonsense. They seem like a team who can just turn it on and off so I guess thats why nobody really seems too concerned, but I dunno, thats just not a habit you want to have in the playoffs, I dont care who they are.

I think the guys on the Western Conference squad are going to be fighting each other to rack up assists to Kobe. It's going to be like Magic's game after he came back from his HIV retirement.

But then again, Pop is coaching. So maybe we will see a DNP Too Old.

(Wow. I just looked up and Clyde Frazier is wearing a suit/shirt/tie combination that is absolutely stunning. Even for him.)

So Derek Fisher is out at Knicks Coach...Kurt Rambis to fill in in the interim.

Umm, I dont really know what to make of this. At first I was like what? What the hell for? And then listening to Phil's presser I guess im ok with it. He says the Matt Barnes thing didnt play into his decision but im sure it did, at least a little bit. What bothers me is we've lost a LOT of close games (by 6 or less) and I guess some of that falls on the coach in terms of drawing up plays etc. Which it seems Fisher wasnt that great at? More than anything this shows that Phil is really serious about his 5 year plan. He's not waiting around for the coach to get it together. His next pick as coach better be up to snuff.

So Derek Fisher is out at Knicks Coach...Kurt Rambis to fill in in the interim.

Umm, I dont really know what to make of this. At first I was like what? What the hell for? And then listening to Phil's presser I guess im ok with it. He says the Matt Barnes thing didnt play into his decision but im sure it did, at least a little bit. What bothers me is we've lost a LOT of close games (by 6 or less) and I guess some of that falls on the coach in terms of drawing up plays etc. Which it seems Fisher wasnt that great at? More than anything this shows that Phil is really serious about his 5 year plan. He's not waiting around for the coach to get it together. His next pick as coach better be up to snuff.

I would have liked to have seen Derek Fisher do well. The Knicks had a much better start this year than they did last. I like the way they have gelled in many of the games this year with the addition of other players like Porzingis. But I guess their latest losing streak, along with according to reports, the knicks organization not being that sold on Derek from the beginning led to the firing.

I wonder if the whole Matt Barnes/his ex-wife situation played into things as well. Matt ended up getting a suspension because of that incident and nothing happened to Derek. Matt threw up a picture on Instagram after it was announced Derek was fired, kind of seemed like he may have been poking at Derek being fired.

I wonder who will coach the Knicks now. I read that Luke Walton and Brian Shaw may be interested in the position. I read that Luke may take his time to think about whether or not he wants to go after the Head Coach position for the Knicks. I think that Luke did a nice job this year guiding the Warriors on their winning streak, but also I think that a lot of that just had to do with the Warriors being a great team. Sometimes I wonder if almost anyone could coach the warriors, because they perform so well as a team, no matter who is coaching them.

I also read Thom Thibedeau may be interested in the Head Coach position for the knicks too.

Edited by Jx223

So Tyronn Lue was asked about the controversy of taking over for David Blatt and he said this:

"Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ, so I'm certainly no exception," Lue told Cleveland.com. "I don't care what's being said. I know how loyal I was to Coach Blatt, and the people that know me understand that. I have no control over what people think. I have a job to do and I'm going to do my best."

Seriously?!?  Where are the media relations experts when you need them?  What an idiot.

This is why Cleveland can't have nice things.

Phil Jackson is only going to pick people who think like him and that he can control to coach the team because of his triangle offense obsession.  He's undermining the Knicks in this way by intentionally limiting the coaching candidate pool.

Phil Jackson is only going to pick people who think like him and that he can control to coach the team because of his triangle offense obsession.  He's undermining the Knicks in this way by intentionally limiting the coaching candidate pool.

A no-brainer is what it was. Anybody in their right mind would have chosen the Warriors over the Knicks.

I hope Phil is not trying to stick to his own tree. I know he's obsessed with the triangle and I cant blame him...he's won 11 championships. But you've got to have the personnel for it. If somehow someone sold their soul and we managed to get Kevin Durant then maybe.

I know Luke Walton's name has already been floating around as a possibility for the HC job, but I would much rather someone like Mark Jackson. I thought he should have gotten the job over Derek Fisher (though I dont think Mark was interested...but maybe he is now?) If Phil hires a tough personality like Mark or even Thibs (though he scares me in terms of running players into the ground and wearing out his welcome quickly) that'll really show is willing to hire the best person available not just from his own coaching tree, which is looking pretty damn shabby.

Just think, instead of coaching the MVP and the best team in basketball, Steve Kerr could be coaching the Knicks. Quite possibly the best decision in the history of decisions.

If Steve Kerr had taken the Knicks position he might be out a head coaching job right now. At the very least he wouldn’t have experienced all the success he has had with Golden State.

A no-brainer is what it was. Anybody in their right mind would have chosen the Warriors over the Knicks.

I hope Phil is not trying to stick to his own tree. I know he's obsessed with the triangle and I cant blame him...he's won 11 championships. But you've got to have the personnel for it. If somehow someone sold their soul and we managed to get Kevin Durant then maybe.

I know Luke Walton's name has already been floating around as a possibility for the HC job, but I would much rather someone like Mark Jackson. I thought he should have gotten the job over Derek Fisher (though I dont think Mark was interested...but maybe he is now?) If Phil hires a tough personality like Mark or even Thibs (though he scares me in terms of running players into the ground and wearing out his welcome quickly) that'll really show is willing to hire the best person available not just from his own coaching tree, which is looking pretty damn shabby.

I think that Mark Jackson is a good candidate but I don’t see him being eager to step back in the coaching arena anytime soon. I think he would choose the job security that he has at ESPN and the multi-year contract he signed with them last year, over another coaching gig right now. Golden State sent him packing after all he had done for them and that last really good year he had with them.

I believe he had a lot to do with helping that team develop into the great team we are now seeing. And I believe if he stayed around they still would have won the championship the following year.

I don’t think he will be quick to take a coaching job unless he feels he will be promised a lot security there. I think the last thing he wants to is to leave his comfortable gig at ESPN, go coach for a team, only to be let go a year later.

An exception I could see is maybe if the Cavs had called him up after they fired David Blatt.  I believe that Lebron respects Mark Jackson and he is the type of coach that could appeal to and/get Lebron to follow his lead. If Lebron wanted him, he might would have went for that, and felt more secure to take that HC position.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

My Sixers have been the butt of a lot of jokes (including last night on the X Files), but at least they have a plan, as controversial as it may be.

Sacramento, on the other hand, looks like it is a complete mess. 

I thought that the Cavs fans were very classy tonight with they way they applauded and celebrated Kobe's last game in their building. You can tell that made him feel really good. I have never been a fan of Kobe,  and I rooted against him and the Lakers for several years. Especially the years he was with Shaq and was racking up championships. I didn't like them when they were dominating and beating teams that I liked including the Pacers.

But he is no doubt a GREAT player, one of the best to have played, and he deserves to have a nice send off. I am glad to see fans of other fanbases letting him know that they appreciate his talent and how much he contributed to the sport of basketball and the NBA. :)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2