Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Ed Post.  Yes I remember that without looking it up.

Per the Florida Man:  I remember watching that and I was like, was she ever in the car?  Didn't he answer his cell phone while burying her?  I mean, guy, buy a clue and leave your phone at home.

Yes, he answered his cellphone while burying her. He was such an idiot.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, he answered his cellphone while burying her. He was such an idiot.

Okay, I don't want to be "that person" but didn't Ed Post drown his wife in a hotel bathroom and was tried three times?  He tried to sue the hotel for money and that is what tripped him up the third time - greed over a shower bar.

I think it was Florida Man who buried his wife then ordered one meal, not two.  Idiot.  There is no shortage of idiots out there, lol!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, I don't want to be "that person" but didn't Ed Post drown his wife in a hotel bathroom and was tried three times?  He tried to sue the hotel for money and that is what tripped him up the third time - greed over a shower b

what was the final outcome of that case? remember reading about it but I dont remember he final outcome. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

what was the final outcome of that case? remember reading about it but I dont remember he final outcome. 

On the third trial he was found guilty and spent 20 years (or so) in jail.  He had the life insurance, but his greed compelled him to sue the hotel and try for more.   I wished her family would have  sued him for wrongful death but I am sure they were tired of him, too.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

On the third trial he was found guilty and spent 20 years (or so) in jail.  He had the life insurance, nut his greed compelled him to sue the hotel and try for more.   I wished her family would have  sued him for wrongful death but I am sure they were tired of him, too.

Yes, had he stuck with just the life insurance he would have gotten away with it. How he wasn't convicted sooner I don't know. He stop and tell the hotel door man how long he'd be out jogging. That should have been enough to convict him. 

• LOL 2

OK-Michael  and Will taking their child to NYC in them middle of an epidemic, collectively their Q must be room temperature.

Please, can we ge ta doctor to inject Km with some B12 or something stronger?  Honest to  I woke from my nap and she almost  put my back to sleep.

Jason isdean  yawn.

I was hoping Britt would have pushed Snary off the bridge but Christmas hasn't come yet.

I have to idea why the bolding this computer has a mind of its own, sorry

Oxygen has an entire series called Florida Man Murders. I had actually never heard about Steven Benson, who planted a pipe bomb in the car that killed his heiress mother and brother. In that vein they also have The Real Murders of Orange County, which has new episodes starting this Sunday. Anyone else watching Buried in the Backyard? Their definition of 'backyard' is pretty loose. 

• Love 6

Man, this latest "See No Evil" episode...even with them (thankfully) omitting some of the robbery footage out of respect to the family, it's still incredibly disturbing to watch. The fact they have to omit some of it just further adds to the horror of it all. Those poor people. 

• Love 1

I posted this a few minutes ago in another topic but I think that one has been inactive for a few years so I'm moving it here.

I've been re-watching the Netflix four-episode documentary, The Ripper. It's about the massive and badly-led police hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. He murdered 13 women in the Yorkshire and Manchester areas in the UK between 1975 and 1980. Peter Sutcliffe was eventually arrested and confessed, but the documentary makes clear it was due to good luck rather than good police work. He had also attempted to murder ten women who survived. At least two of them are in this documentary; they went to the police to say hey I think my assailant might have been the Ripper, and the police blew them off! And yes it had been Sutcliffe. Holy hell.

Oh, the cops had interviewed Sutcliffe NINE times during the investigation. But the knuckleheads in charge of the massive investigation had received an anonymous tape and anonymous letters from someone calling himself "Jack" [the Ripper]. The voice on the tape had what they call a "Geordie" accent, i.e., the accent common to the Newcastle area - and the eejits in charge actually decided that the killer MUST be someone with a Geordie accent. Sutcliffe didn't have that accent. One retired cop in this series talks about how he'd interviewed Sutcliffe and thought he'd obtained good information, but was literally cursed out by his boss when asked if Sutcliffe had a Geordie accent and said no he didn't. He was basically thrown out of his boss' office and told to forget about Sutcliffe unless he wanted to be demoted to traffic duty or something like that. 

Yeah. The good old boys running the police force fell for a bogus tape and let more women get killed as a result. One TV anchor at the time is shown calling this "the biggest balls-up in police history."

The cops in charge also got fixated very early on the idea that the killer was motivated to kill prostitutes, and thus as noted above, blew off evidence from women who weren't prostitutes who had been attacked and severely injured by Sutcliffe. As one person comments in this series, those guys were basically chasing Jack the Ripper. And, as she said, when you're seeking to find a Victorian myth, you're going to overlook a truck driver from Bradford.

There's some great stuff from women who were there at the time, in college, reporting news for a radio station, etc., about the reigning misogyny of the time and place. As one said, you had a guy out there murdering women. And all the ranking cops investigating the case were - men. The media covering the case were - men. And the solution to the problem was supposed to be that WOMEN should just be more careful when out and about.

I swear, I was hovering on rage by the time I finished this one, both times I've watched it. Good documentary. Eye-opening stuff. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and 80's although I didn't live in the UK. The fashions, and attitudes, weren't unfamiliar to me.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

Has anyone watched the Australian 2-season series "My Life Is Murder" with Lucy Lawless?

On 11/18/2021 at 12:17 AM, auntjess said:

I've started watch the HLN series Lies, Crimes, & Video.  
I'm a sucker for surveillance videos.

Thanks for the heads-up!  Watched an episode about the Bever brothers' murders, which I can't believe I had never encountered before.  How absolutely truly awful, and their goals for future killings were chilling.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:22 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Discovered an entire true crime channel I didn't know existed or was on my cable, Crime + Investigation. Seems to be older and recycled stuff but I only watched for a while. 

Vermicious, were you able to figure out what shows are on the channel?  I went to their website but could only find what's on for the current day.  The other channels' websites list all the shows that they carry, and also usually have some way to show when future episodes of the shows will air, but this site basically had nothing at all.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Thanks for the heads-up!  Watched an episode about the Bever brothers' murders, which I can't believe I had never encountered before.  How absolutely truly awful, and their goals for future killings were chilling.

I don't know that I've seen that one, but I caught an episode of that "Lies, Crimes, and Video" show last night about a guy named Matthew Hoffman who committed three very grisly murders of a mom, her son, and her friend, and kept the young daughter captive for a number of days. It was really freaky and bizarre, and thank goodness they caught him, 'cause he was definitely a serial killer in the making. 

• Love 4

Hi LuvMyShows. Because it's on my cable system I check my onscreen TV schedule and just page forward rather than go to the website. I'm seeing a marathon of The Big House on tonight, which seems to be about different prisons. Nightwatch, Behind Bars, The First 48, Crime 360, a random collection of various and sundry other shows. And something called Paranormal Cops, what the hell?

New episode of Real Murders of Orange County last night. They showed the actual police video of the sickeningly blood-drenched crime scene, like the pillows and sheets were completely soaked, blood smeared all over the walls. I think this may be the most graphic scene without a body of real footage I've ever watched. So glad I don't tend to get nightmares.

21 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

New episode of Real Murders of Orange County last night. They showed the actual police video of the sickeningly blood-drenched crime scene, like the pillows and sheets were completely soaked, blood smeared all over the walls. I think this may be the most graphic scene without a body of real footage I've ever watched. So glad I don't tend to get nightmares.

I just watched a new episode of that show "Homicide for the Holidays" that did the same. Like, we get it, show/investigators, the scene is a bloody, gruesome mess, I'm fine with just taking your word for it.

There was a moment, too, in the episode, where they talked about the suspect going to buy a gun shortly after the murders. He was still bleeding from wounds he'd suffered when committing the crime...and some of the blood wound up on the paperwork he used to get his gun. 

I was like, "...and nobody's alarm bells went off at that...how?" Thankfully he never wound up using the gun, but still...

• Love 2
On 11/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

There is no shortage of idiots out there, lol!

I've always found it darkly amusing, watching these crime shows, seeing how these people supposedly think of everything to give themselves an alibi, yet always fail to think of just one crucial thing that ends up nailing them. Like their Incriminating Indifference--no matter how perfectly they've set everything up, they never remember to act like a truly grieving loved one.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I've always found it darkly amusing, watching these crime shows, seeing how these people supposedly think of everything to give themselves an alibi, yet always fail to think of just one crucial thing that ends up nailing them. Like their Incriminating Indifference--no matter how perfectly they've set everything up, they never remember to act like a truly grieving loved one.

See, I will respectfully disagree on how someone should act.  Some people are in shock, some people will get hysterical.  Who is to say?  Very subjective.  I mean, I would hate for me, who is really not a cryer, to be judged on my reactions.  

I LOVE the show Reasonable Doubt, listen to the podcasts as well.  My chuckle comes when, asked about the timeline of their day, the felon can recite, to the minute:  "Yeah we ate out act McDonald's, went to play frisbee.  Lunch at Kenny's at noon.  Were at the beach from 1 until 6, bbq on the beach.  Where was I from 7 until 8?  No idea.  But at 8 we met at Jake's house."  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I'm just amazed that in this day and age, with all the crime shows and documentaries and such that are out there, some of these criminals still never seem to think that, oh, yeah, the detectives are probably going to check your phone at some point. And they'll probably look at the surveillance cameras of some place you were supposed to be (like work), or some place you claimed you were at the time of the murder, like a store*. And they'll probably search your computer as well. And so on. 

*I saw a show once about a guy whose wife went missing, and he claimed that he was at Wal-Mart the day she disappeared, buying camping equipment (as that was his alibi - he claimed he'd taken his kids camping around that time). 

They checked the video from the day in question and did not see him at the store at all, let alone buying camping equipment. So. Yeah. 

It also amazes me, in the stories where someone murders their spouse or a friend or a family member, how some of them never really seem to think about the fact that others will eventually be looking for said missing loved one eventually. A co-worker/boss wondering why they haven't shown up for work, or a neighbor or friend concerned because they haven't seen them in a while, or a family member noting that they failed to show up for some get-together, or things of that sort. It's almost like some of them think that everyone'll just be like, "Oh, they're gone? Well, that's that, then." Really speaks to the narcissism of some of these criminals.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

My chuckle comes when, asked about the timeline of their day, the felon can recite, to the minute:  "Yeah we ate out act McDonald's, went to play frisbee.  Lunch at Kenny's at noon.  Were at the beach from 1 until 6, bbq on the beach.  Where was I from 7 until 8?  No idea.  But at 8 we met at Jake's house."  

YES :D. They're under the misguided notion that the more detail they give, the more believable their story will sound. Except it's just the opposite, because with a few rare exceptions, most people's memory is not THAT good. And there comes a point where that kind of detail clearly sounds rehearsed. 

I also love the little consistencies that so many criminals trip up on. If someone's left-handed, for instance, and the bullet wound is in the left side of their head, and a criminal wants to make it look like a suicide...maybe don't put the gun in their right hand. 

And then there's the people who try and stage a break-in, but forget to make sure the glass is inside the house, not outside. And the stories where people try and claim there were drugs/alcohol in someone's system, or water or smoke in their lungs, at the time of their death...but none of that shows up in the autopsy. Things like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I'm just amazed that in this day and age, with all the crime shows and documentaries and such that are out there, some of these criminals still never seem to think that, oh, yeah, the detectives are probably going to check your phone at some point. And they'll probably look at the surveillance cameras of some place you were supposed to be (like work), or some place you claimed you were at the time of the murder, like a store*. And they'll probably search your computer as well. And so on. 

*I saw a show once about a guy whose wife went missing, and he claimed that he was at Wal-Mart the day she disappeared, buying camping equipment (as that was his alibi - he claimed he'd taken his kids camping around that time). 

They checked the video from the day in question and did not see him at the store at all, let alone buying camping equipment. So. Yeah. 

It also amazes me, in the stories where someone murders their spouse or a friend or a family member, how some of them never really seem to think about the fact that others will eventually be looking for said missing loved one eventually. A co-worker/boss wondering why they haven't shown up for work, or a neighbor or friend concerned because they haven't seen them in a while, or a family member noting that they failed to show up for some get-together, or things of that sort. It's almost like some of them think that everyone'll just be like, "Oh, they're gone? Well, that's that, then." Really speaks to the narcissism of some of these criminals.

YES :D. They're under the misguided notion that the more detail they give, the more believable their story will sound. Except it's just the opposite, because with a few rare exceptions, most people's memory is not THAT good. And there comes a point where that kind of detail clearly sounds rehearsed. 

I also love the little consistencies that so many criminals trip up on. If someone's left-handed, for instance, and the bullet wound is in the left side of their head, and a criminal wants to make it look like a suicide...maybe don't put the gun in their right hand. 

And then there's the people who try and stage a break-in, but forget to make sure the glass is inside the house, not outside. And the stories where people try and claim there were drugs/alcohol in someone's system, or water or smoke in their lungs, at the time of their death...but none of that shows up in the autopsy. Things like that. 

Well we are dealing with selfish people who think they are smarter than everyone, including cops and detectives, so there is that.

I have a special place in hell for these men who kill their wives, hide the body then shrug their shoulders and say I dunno, she must have run off with another man when they have little kids.  So let's get this straight:  YOU were cheating, she was NOT, yet  you are wiling to let your kids grow up thinking mommy is a runaway adulterous person when in reality YOU KILLED HER?  The Perry March case comes to mind.  Rolled her up in carpeting and put her, I believe in a landfill.  The deceased woman's mom even said "I can live with her being murdered.  Don't like it, but it is worse that those kids were fed those lies when all she ever wanted was to be a mom."

Also, if you are going to peddle that she drowned in the hot tub, don't strangle her first.  I am not a scientist but water needs to be IN the lungs, correct?

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I have a special place in hell for these men who kill their wives, hide the body then shrug their shoulders and say I dunno, she must have run off with another man when they have little kids.  So let's get this straight:  YOU were cheating, she was NOT, yet  you are wiling to let your kids grow up thinking mommy is a runaway adulterous person when in reality YOU KILLED HER?  The Perry March case comes to mind.  Rolled her up in carpeting and put her, I believe in a landfill.  The deceased woman's mom even said "I can live with her being murdered.  Don't like it, but it is worse that those kids were fed those lies when all she ever wanted was to be a mom."

Also, if you are going to peddle that she drowned in the hot tub, don't strangle her first.  I am not a scientist but water needs to be IN the lungs, correct?

Heh, I saw an episode of "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" once where that happened. A guy tried to claim his wife drowned in the bathtub, but shocker of shockers, there was no water in her lungs. Her body was also covered in bruises that went way beyond any possibility that she merely slipped and fell in the tub, which also didn't help. 

Agreed on these guys constantly lying and saying stuff like that after they kill their wives. I see that a lot on these kinds of shows - the guy will claim his wife ran off with someone, or, if their sexual history is revealed in the course of the investigation, he'll try and claim they had an open marriage/were swingers, or things like that. And the only other person who could potentially refute these wild claims and lies is no longer here to do so and defend themselves - gosh, what are the odds?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Heh, I saw an episode of "Accident, Suicide, or Murder" once where that happened. A guy tried to claim his wife drowned in the bathtub, but shocker of shockers, there was no water in her lungs. Her body was also covered in bruises that went way beyond any possibility that she merely slipped and fell in the tub, which also didn't help. 

Agreed on these guys constantly lying and saying stuff like that after they kill their wives. I see that a lot on these kinds of shows - the guy will claim his wife ran off with someone, or, if their sexual history is revealed in the course of the investigation, he'll try and claim they had an open marriage/were swingers, or things like that. And the only other person who could potentially refute these wild claims and lies is no longer here to do so and defend themselves - gosh, what are the odds?

Yeah like the Scott Peterson case:  "No, she was 8 months pregnant and totally fine with me dating!"

I like most of the Discovery Plus shows but a few of the ones set in the south bug me:  "Y'all know we are hotter than a junebug sweating on top of black eyed susan, but, y'all, divorce is MURDER!"  It is like tone it down with the southern drawl.  

Discovery Plus is the best $5 I spend!  Web of Lies, Evil Lives Here, Nightmare Next Store, Signs of a Psychopath, Your Worst Nightmare  - they are REALLY good but Season 2 Episode 8 was really hard to watch.  But Episode 7 was one we had to fast forward though so maybe that it made it a bit easier!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I never stop being amazed by it. Tracking cellphones has been around for a long time and yet they are always surprised. I love when Detectives point out their cellphone was right next to the dead body. They aren't even smart enough to leave them at home. 

The Walmart one reminds me of a First 48 episode when the murderer insisted he wasn't the murderer despite his cellphone ping next to the dead body. Where did he say he was? Target. Maybe pick a spot that doesn't have a bunch of cameras. 

It also never occurs to them that cops will check their Facebook or Instagram page. They have pictures of themselves with the gun they used to kill someone or pictures of them with their friends. Sure makes it easy for the cops to see if they had the murder weapon and potential accomplices. 

Not to mention text messages all about their crimes.  

Yeah, they don't seem to think their wife's family or friends is going to wonder where she is and probably not going to buy that she ran off with another man. You know because they know her. A sister or friend would probaby know if she was having an affair.

One woman who's husband disappeared when he went fishing while they were on vacation was shocked when his mother-in-law wouldn't drop it. Ah, his body was never found of course she is going to keep looking for him or at least his body. Then a month later some of his fishing gear and clothing turned up in the lake. Oddly enough none of it looked like it had been in the lake for a month.  

My favorite ones are when something happens that they could never predict. Like the guy who drowned his wife in the hot tub. His plan was to make it look like she had too much to drink and passed out. Except his next door neighbor heard strange sounds and went outside to find the source and found his neighbor drowning his wife. Or guy who left his glasses at the murder and tried to claim the ones he wore were the same ones he always had. Except the company that made the glasses changed where they got their screws from. 

• Love 5

The most recent episode of Cold Justice the main suspect turned his phone off for three hours around the time of the murder. So they couldn't use the pings to place him at the scene, but he was on that phone constantly before and after so that was a big tell. And there are multiple episodes of Forensic Files where the husband murdered the wife and told the kids she ran away and left them. I think one of those his little daughter saw him wrap the wife in a carpet and she was buried under the basement floor.

One of my favorite bits of forensic evidence was I think also on FF, when a little girl was killed after a holiday party. At a church? She was last wearing an outfit that came from the Sears catalogue and they happened to have patented the specific dye color used and only like 5000 were ever made. Somebody had an identical, unworn garment and they were able to exactly match the fibers that were found in the caretaker's truck. I'm probably not remembering it exactly right but it was pretty amazing that this unique piece of evidence existed.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Or someone is found dead in a burned-out building, but they don’t have soot in their lungs, meaning they were dead before the fire started.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

One of my favorite bits of forensic evidence was I think also on FF, when a little girl was killed after a holiday party. At a church?

You are spot on as I think that happened in St. Paul.  Being a native Minnesota person, I like that one, the one in St Cloud where a teen killed his dad with the help of a friend, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE is  "Crash Course" per the murder of Deborah Hollerman.  So good.  I encourage you to look it up on YouTube.  Yet another husband who thinks he can outsmart everyone.  

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

My favorite ones are when something happens that they could never predict. Like the guy who drowned his wife in the hot tub. His plan was to make it look like she had too much to drink and passed out. Except his next door neighbor heard strange sounds and went outside to find the source and found his neighbor drowning his wife.

Was that the sleepwalker one?  And the female "scientist" was agitated that she was disproven?  

There was another one, not sure if it was FF where he almost got away with it but a young girl, 8 or 9 years old, picked up another phone to make a call and heard the murdering man talking to a dial tone!  He was trying to alibi himself and say he was calling his dead wife, who was, I believe, at home.  He was trying to alibi he was out boating?  Does that make sense?

Good Lord - get a divorce, split your assets and MOVE ON.  Look, I am divorced, and I was was the one who wanted out.  Never ever did I consider putting anti-freeze in his iced tea.  Or did I?????  

• Love 7

I watched one of those holiday murder ones where a family was killed.
Doesn't Washington state have a death penalty?  
These people, especially the woman who was daughter/sister/aunt of the victims, needed to meet Old Sparky.

• Love 4

Don’t forget the case of the husband/doctor who denied that he murdered his wife, but then they found the transcript of a novel he had written about a husband/doctor who murdered his wife…..the same way the actual man’s wife was murdered.  Lol He was brilliant, I tell ya.  Lol

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Don’t forget the case of the husband/doctor who denied that he murdered his wife, but then they found the transcript of a novel he had written about a husband/doctor who murdered his wife…..the same way the actual man’s wife was murdered.  Lol He was brilliant, I tell ya.  Lol

That happened with an arsonist once, too! There'd been a string of arsons in California, and eventually it was discovered that a firefighter had been committing them. When the investigators looked in his home, they found a manuscript for a novel he was writing...about a firefighter who committed a string of arsons. And the victims and places referenced in the manuscript were eerily similar to the real life people and places the guy targeted, too. Oops. 

Really does feel sometimes like some criminals just walk around with huge neon "I DID IT! ARREST ME!" signs, doesn't it? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 12/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Good Lord - get a divorce, split your assets and MOVE ON.  Look, I am divorced, and I was was the one who wanted out.  Never ever did I consider putting anti-freeze in his iced tea.  Or did I?????  

Don’t you mean “antifree”? 🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If this is the one I’m thinking of(Anthony Pignataro), a woman died during a botched breast augmentation he performed, he lost his medical license, then later he poisoned his wife with a F-ton of arsenic(she miraculously survived)and tried to make her doctor take out her gallbladder so if she died, he could say “See, people die from medical accidents all the time!” and try to get his license back.

Oh, and he also invented the snap-on toupee. 😁

• Love 3
5 hours ago, smittykins said:

If this is the one I’m thinking of(Anthony Pignataro), a woman died during a botched breast augmentation he performed, he lost his medical license, then later he poisoned his wife with a F-ton of arsenic(she miraculously survived)and tried to make her doctor take out her gallbladder so if she died, he could say “See, people die from medical accidents all the time!” and try to get his license back.

Oh, and he also invented the snap-on toupee. 😁

I can’t recall.  I thought he shot her, but could have it mixed up with another case.  

• Love 3
On 12/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

You are spot on as I think that happened in St. Paul.  Being a native Minnesota person, I like that one, the one in St Cloud where a teen killed his dad with the help of a friend, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE is  "Crash Course" per the murder of Deborah Hollerman.  So good.  I encourage you to look it up on YouTube.  Yet another husband who thinks he can outsmart everyone.  

Was that the sleepwalker one?  And the female "scientist" was agitated that she was disproven?  

There was another one, not sure if it was FF where he almost got away with it but a young girl, 8 or 9 years old, picked up another phone to make a call and heard the murdering man talking to a dial tone!  He was trying to alibi himself and say he was calling his dead wife, who was, I believe, at home.  He was trying to alibi he was out boating?  Does that make sense?

That reminds me of the guy who tried to prove he had an abili by filming himself out fishing on a Forsenic Files episode and not murdering the woman who pressed charges against the woman he robbed a year earlier. All he did was keep the camera on himself. The detectives noticed how odd that was. He didn't talk to the camera. He didn't film any of the scenery at the lake like anyone else would do when filming their fishing trip. They were able to tell by the sun and shadows that he wasn't there when he claimed and was time stamped by the camera. 

Another man who hired a hitman to kill his ex-wife, his disabled son and his nurse also provided a video to prove his alibi. At the time of the murders it showed him at home in California watching the news. Right because people always record themselves watching the news. Nothing weird about that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That reminds me of the guy who tried to prove he had an abili by filming himself out fishing on a Forsenic Files episode and not murdering the woman who pressed charges against the woman he robbed a year earlier. All he did was keep the camera on himself. The detectives noticed how odd that was. He didn't talk to the camera. He didn't film any of the scenery at the lake like anyone else would do when filming their fishing trip. They were able to tell by the sun and shadows that he wasn't there when he claimed and was time stamped by the camera. 

I remember that one! That case was fascinating - thank goodness for the eagle eyed detectives taking the time to analyze that footage. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember that one! That case was fascinating - thank goodness for the eagle eyed detectives taking the time to analyze that footage. 

It really was fun to see how they figured out he was there at a different time of day. He thought by showing no one but him there was no way to disprove it. But there still was away.

• Love 5

Of course Paula says that, as they often are irritatingly receptive who phrases or photos during "True Crime" docs. But that is what sells- victims with money, prestige, power and/or typically very attractive folks-> that sells, unfortunately. It doesn't give a true picture of the real incidents and people who've been affected by crime.

• Love 1

'Tis the season for holiday murders, alas.  
I'm so sick of "we never locked our doors" in this peaceful place, full of good people.
Sorry, but this city girl thinks if you'd used better judgment and locked the damn doors, you might be alive today.
Bah humbug!

• Love 5
On 11/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, andromeda331 said:

Yes, had he stuck with just the life insurance he would have gotten away with it. How he wasn't convicted sooner I don't know. He stop and tell the hotel door man how long he'd be out jogging. That should have been enough to convict him. 

His brother and daughters turned on him sometime after the first trial and testified against him in the 2nd. He used up all of his money and would’ve needed a public defender so before the 3rd trial, he decided to plead guilty to 2nd degree murder and sentenced to 30 years. First two trials, he was found guilty of 1st degree and sentenced to life but both were later overturned. He was paroled in May 2014 at age 69. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The Murdaugh case mysteries Dec 12 on Oxygen.  Should be very interesting.  

I haven't finished it yet (I'm right at the part about the housekeeper) but it is very well done and much more in depth than anything I've seen on the family so far.

It never seems like they focus much on Maggie though.  I'd really like to know more about her other than she was "very sweet". 

Seeing the footage of Anthony and Mallory on the dock before the accident was heartbreaking knowing what they were walking into.  So telling when he was yelling at the officers afterwards and asking them if they knew whose son Paul was and then commenting something along the lines of, "nothing's going to happen to him".  

I feel like I've seen Troy Roberts reporting before on a number of a cases.  So I was very distracted/confused by how much difficulty he seemed to have enunciating in his talking heads.  Does anyone know if this is always how he speaks?  Sadly, it almost seems like he may have had a stroke.  But maybe I just never noticed it before.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I haven't finished it yet (I'm right at the part about the housekeeper) but it is very well done and much more in depth than anything I've seen on the family so far.

It never seems like they focus much on Maggie though.  I'd really like to know more about her other than she was "very sweet". 

Seeing the footage of Anthony and Mallory on the dock before the accident was heartbreaking knowing what they were walking into.  So telling when he was yelling at the officers afterwards and asking them if they knew whose son Paul was and then commenting something along the lines of, "nothing's going to happen to him".  

I feel like I've seen Troy Roberts reporting before on a number of a cases.  So I was very distracted/confused by how much difficulty he seemed to have enunciating in his talking heads.  Does anyone know if this is always how he speaks?  Sadly, it almost seems like he may have had a stroke.  But maybe I just never noticed it before.  

I have a question about the Murdaugh case. Did the police question the older son about the murder of his brother and mother? 

• Useful 3

Does anybody know what's going on with the new season of Murder in the Heartland on ID Discovery?

Someone posted on FB that the new season had dropped on December 28th and the internet also shows the drop date was December 28th, yet it's not up on D+ yet.  

Goddess knows I need something to watch tonight while I party at home with knitting and champagne 🥂

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Goddess knows I need something to watch tonight while I party at home with knitting and champagne 🥂

See what Oxygen has on.  I've watching a lot of Buried in the Backyard,some new, some reruns.

• Love 6

A 'tell' that I've been noticing more and more in the 9-1-1 calls when the killer is actually the one making the call as though they are just now encountering the dead person, is that they make themselves sound very out of breath...like they have to take a big gulp of air after every word.  What was the name of that young female killer who was so unbelievably overboard in her hyperventilating, maybe in an ambulance?  She also basically would stop hyperventilating at the drop of a hat when she was asked questions that took her out of that mode.  I think her name was kind of weird, like Pacey or something?

• Love 3
On 12/31/2021 at 7:38 PM, auntjess said:

See what Oxygen has on.  I've watching a lot of Buried in the Backyard,some new, some reruns.

Didn't know there was a new season of Buried in the Backyard...thanks for the heads-up!

• Love 2

I am completely fascinated by the number of criminals who keep receipts for the nefarious materials and weapons they just bought to commit the murder.  Like what are they keeping them for exactly? 

I also find fascinating the number of criminals who cannot seem to do anything unless accompanied by a crowd. Guy shoots someone (stabs, machetes, whatever) and needs to get rid of the weapon/evidence.  Do they simply go to the river and toss it in? Oh no, that's too lonely. They go to their friend(s) and tell them they need to get rid of the murder evidence and that the friend(s) need to come with the murderer and help him toss the small bag containing the gun/evidence into the river. Why? Why? Why can't they just keep quiet and do it themselves without adding other people to the task?  I mean, I understand moving a body, it's heavy, but why do you need three friends to go toss a gun off a bridge or into a lake?

Between the apparent psychological need to text your murderous plot and deeds back and forth with co-conspirators, the lack of insight into how tracking cell phones works, and the above constant themes in these cases, and it's no wonder so many of them get caught. Thank goodness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I am completely fascinated by the number of criminals who keep receipts for the nefarious materials and weapons they just bought to commit the murder.  Like what are they keeping them for exactly? 

I remember seeing an episode of "Dateline" once where a guy wanted to put a hit out on someone, and he asked for a receipt for the money he'd paid the hitman. 

Yep. 

• LOL 7