Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

For reasons known only to my subconscious, I am watching Finding Andrea, the four part (four hours!!!!) special on ID. Good grief. The women supposedly investigating this mess are middle-aged middle schoolers.  Especially Nancy. Pure drama queen. I have no idea why I am watching this crap but it's a slow Saturday night.

Also, for the record, when cameramen, especially male cameramen, feel the need to focus on women's shoes and close ups women wearing high heels it really creeps me out.  It's like they have some weird shoe fetish.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember seeing an episode of "Dateline" once where a guy wanted to put a hit out on someone, and he asked for a receipt for the money he'd paid the hitman. 

Yep. 

A...receipt? What in the world would the hitman write in the product/purpose column? Murder?

• LOL 4

I remember at least once, maybe on FF, where the killer dropped a bag with the murder weapon and gloves or bloody clothes off a bridge. But it was winter and the bag landed on ice and was found by someone just sitting out there, who noticed it because it was a black bag against a white background.

Almost no one on Buried in the Backyard is buried in an actual backyard. Oxygen is also starting a new series called New York Homicide. Recording tonight and will watch probably tomorrow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I remember at least once, maybe on FF, where the killer dropped a bag with the murder weapon and gloves or bloody clothes off a bridge. But it was winter and the bag landed on ice and was found by someone just sitting out there, who noticed it because it was a black bag against a white background.

Yep, “Frozen Assets.”

I wish I could watch “Buried In The Backyard,” but Oxygen isn’t included in my satellite package(and my bill is high enough as it is).

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LexieLily said:
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember seeing an episode of "Dateline" once where a guy wanted to put a hit out on someone, and he asked for a receipt for the money he'd paid the hitman. 

Yep. 

A...receipt? What in the world would the hitman write in the product/purpose column? Murder?

Too easy...

Extermination

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Was watching that "Meet, Marry, Murder" show on the Justice Network earlier...there's something really creepy about the way each episode ends with the white text against the black screen, mentioning the couple profiled in the episode, the month and year when they got married, and then the month and year when the murder happened. I think it's just seeing it all laid out so starkly and matter-of-fact. You realize how little time it took for most of these marriages to disintegrate, and then you start thinking about the fact that most of these spouses had no clue, when they got married ,that they'd be dead in just a number of years' time, and at the hands of their spouse besides....

...it's just really haunting. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

My favorite was the killer who took the GPS from under his dead wife's bumper, stuck it in his pocket, then walked along disposing of incriminating evidence down the sewer and dumpsters.
The cops tracked the GPS and picked up everything.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Well, inexplicably I watched all four hours of ID's Finding Andrea. (I need an intervention,stat)

Did they find Andrea?  No.

Are they any closer to figuring out what happened to Andrea?  No.

Do I have any confidence whatsoever that this band of nitiwits will in any way solve the mystery of what happened to Andrea? Absolutely not.

A group of middleaged women who called themselves Missing in America search for missing people in the Louisville Kentucky area. They mostly tromp around looking at the ground and under various bushes and don't find much but they try. Their group includes a 'medium' who 'feels things' and a woman who is eager to show us her collection of a thousand shoes. Seriously, about five minutes in this woman's closet. Then one of their group suddenly goes missing. You'd think these women would be uniquely set up to find said missing Andrea but you would be wrong. Instead they start looking askance at each other and spreading rumors about each other. They don't seriously start looking for Andrea for seventeen months. Two private investigators are called in by different members and they don't like each other. They each think the other is untrustworthy. Andrea's entire family is really sketchy. The police barely care.

Four hours of this nonsense and it concludes with....nothing. Nothing.

ID needs to stop this shit. Whenever I see an ID special that is more than two episodes long I know it's mostly bullshit. Why I bothered with this has more to do with lack of holiday week new programming than anything else. I knew it would be stupid.

Apparently I need counseling.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Well, inexplicably I watched all four hours of ID's Finding Andrea. (I need an intervention,stat)

Did they find Andrea?  No.

Are they any closer to figuring out what happened to Andrea?  No.

Do I have any confidence whatsoever that this band of nitiwits will in any way solve the mystery of what happened to Andrea? Absolutely not.

A group of middleaged women who called themselves Missing in America search for missing people in the Louisville Kentucky area. They mostly tromp around looking at the ground and under various bushes and don't find much but they try. Their group includes a 'medium' who 'feels things' and a woman who is eager to show us her collection of a thousand shoes. Seriously, about five minutes in this woman's closet. Then one of their group suddenly goes missing. You'd think these women would be uniquely set up to find said missing Andrea but you would be wrong. Instead they start looking askance at each other and spreading rumors about each other. They don't seriously start looking for Andrea for seventeen months. Two private investigators are called in by different members and they don't like each other. They each think the other is untrustworthy. Andrea's entire family is really sketchy. The police barely care.

Four hours of this nonsense and it concludes with....nothing. Nothing.

ID needs to stop this shit. Whenever I see an ID special that is more than two episodes long I know it's mostly bullshit. Why I bothered with this has more to do with lack of holiday week new programming than anything else. I knew it would be stupid.

I watched it too. I’ve never seen more shady people in one show. They wasted 17 months by relying on that first private detective who seemed the shadiest of all. The second guy who came onto the case, (Nancy’s boyfriend), seemed to elicit more info in a couple of weeks than the first guy did in over a year.  Too many unanswered questions. Even though they never found Andrea’s cell phone did they try to get phone records of numbers she called or who called her the night she went missing. Weren’t there other security cameras in the neighborhood, and specifically in the houses on her block, that they could have checked out.  The dad is in denial that Andrea isn’t alive anymore as he continues to go on a wild goose chase every time someone calls in a sighting.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just learned about a crime-solving tool called a geofencing warrant.  It's where the cops have a pinpoint location and time for a murder, and get a warrant for the phone records from all the people who were in that location at that time.  Then they can look at those records and try to find numbers in common with the victim or the victim's friends/family, or just find out more about those people who were in the area.  They're pretty controversial because of privacy concerns, but if I had a loved one murdered, I'm pretty sure I'd want the cops to be able to use such a tool.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Just watched an old Dateline episode called The Carrolton Plot.  Wow, just wow.  Actually surprised I have never encountered this on any other franchise.

So a woman (Nancy Howard) is shot in the head while alone at her house and manages to call 9-1-1.  The husband (Frank Howard) was out-of-town (are your spidey senses starting to tingle?).   The adult kids call the dad and he flies back.  Dad is a big time pillar of the society and at his church, and they are known as a "Beaver Cleaver" family.  Cops talk to hubby and he gives them his phone, where they find evidence of an affair, which he didn't mention to the cops and the wife knew nothing about.  (Gotta love the different excuses these idiots make for why they didn't tell the cops about the affair proactively!)  She is a beloved home-maker, active at her church, without any enemies.  

Can't remember all the details but somehow the cops find out about a plot to have her murdered, by a guy named John, who has hired these druggie country bumpkins to do it.  But they just keep taking his money for over 2 years (into the hundreds of thousands of dollars) and coming up with lame excuses why they haven't done it yet.  Finally they do it, but she lives.  The cops end up finding out that John is Frank, whose full name is John Franklin Howard.  The dad is charged with the murder, and at the bond hearing, pretty much everyone from the whole freaking town shows up to speak glowingly of his character, including the church, even after finding out about his THREE-YEAR affair. (This just blows my mind, since he sooo clearly is not the person they thought he was, and is someone they didn't know he was.  A three-year affair is not a mistake...it is an ongoing deliberate deception, involving repeated and extensive lying.)

The two adult daughters stick by their dad wholeheartedly, saying that having an affair is a human mistake, but hiring a hitman is not human and that's not the man their dad is.  The dad is an accountant, and part of the defense is that as an accountant careful with money, he never would have just kept paying for such incompetent would-be hit men, so really the money was because they were blackmailing him about the affair.  There is a lot of proof, from a variety of different angles, that he is the one who hired the hitmen, but the daughters stick by him and sit on the dad's side of the courtroom.  (I can only imagine the mother's grief and anguish about that.)  After only 90 minutes of jury deliberation he is convicted. 

The daughters STILL stand by him, with some lame explanation about how they've visited him in jail and see that he is the same man they've always known.  Really?  You think you know this man?  After the conviction, the show tells us that he had bought homes with the mistress and spent millions on her.  And then the show tells us that the source of all the money that he had been spending is that he had embezzled SIX MILLION dollars from his biggest client!  So that's why he really didn't care about continuing to pay the bumbling hit men, cause it wasn't even his money! 

So, head-in-the-sand daughters, if someone had asked you before the attempted murder, if your dad would ever have an affair, you would have said a resounding "NO! He would never, ever do that!"  But he did.  And if someone had asked you would your dad ever embezzle money, you would have said a resounding "NO! He would never ever do that!"  But he did.  Yet with this murder, where there was ample proof he did it and literally no one else in the entire world with a motive, their reason for thinking he is innocent is because of the man he is?  What they mean, is because of the image of the man that they always thought he was, and how he still talks like that man and looks like that man and acts like that man.  But he NEVER was that man! 

In actuality, they never knew the man he was, and now that it's been revealed who that man was and is, they just absolutely refuse to see it, and are estranged from their mother.  They were interviewed about whether there will be a reconciliation with their mother, and one of the daughters said something about how someday they will be able to work around this "life event" that happened.  JFC.

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Love 7

Heh, yeah, I remember that episode. There was a whole big discussion about it over in the "Dateline" forum when it aired, and everyone there had pretty much the same, 'WTF is wrong with you people?" reaction as you :p. 

As awful as the crime itself was, I remember laughing at just how incredibly inept the people Frank had hired were. I remember that one of them seemed confused about why he was in the neighborhood in the first place, when he was pulled over by an officer during one attempt to commit the crime. And wasn't there something involving one of the criminals and Nancy's ID as well? Like, they tried to check to make sure this was the woman they were supposed to kill, but they checked that in a really awkward way, or something? 

And yet Frank and the defense kept trying to act like this plot to kill Nancy was all this gang's doing alone. First off, as you noted, they were so incompetent that they couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground, but sure, they're totally capable of plotting out a hit. Second, they wouldn't have the foggiest clue who Nancy was without somebody telling them about her. And the only person who would be able to do such a thing would be, y'know, Frank. Her husband. What motive would they have had to try and kill her otherwise? 

I also loved the defense trying to claim that we couldn't trust anything anyone in this gang said because they were all a bunch of criminals, which, fair point...except your client is also a criminal who embezzled a whole bunch of money, so...by that logic, we can't trust what he says, either, correct? 

And yeah, those daughters...I've said before how I can sympathize with family members who struggle to reconcile the fact someone they loved killed somebody, and I would imagine it'd be especially hard for kids to accept that about a parent who was a) a criminal, and b) tried to kill their other parent besides. And we've also seen many stories where the accused parent will manipulate their kids to their side, which I could totally see Frank doing here (especially with the mention of his daughters visiting him in jail - perfect opportunity for him to do that kind of manipulation). So on the one hand, I tried to keep that in mind when listening to those daughters speaking...

...but on the other hand, yeah, they absolutely have blinders on, and the way in which they brushed off all the concerns about their dad, and seemed to show little concern for what their mom went through, was...yikes. Practically no sign of struggling with this crime, and the division it's caused within their family. It's very weird. And it makes me wonder what will happen if and when those blinders finally do fall off and they ever do wind up acknowledging their dad's guilt. I feel that's going to be one hell of a hard crash landing for them, if it ever happens. 

3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Cops talk to hubby and he gives them his phone, where they find evidence of an affair, which he didn't mention to the cops and the wife knew nothing about.  (Gotta love the different excuses these idiots make for why they didn't tell the cops about the affair proactively!)  

Oh, yes. Again, you know the cops are going to find out about this part of things one way or another eventually. Better to just be upfront about it right off the bat, if only to, at the very least, try and divert suspicion from yourself. 

My favorite version of that is how quickly the story changes when these affairs are revealed. First it's, "Oh, yeah, we had a great marriage, got on fine, no problems!"

Then they're soon like, "...okay, well, yeah, we had occasional arguments, you know, the typical sort every couple has. Nobody's perfect."

And then it changes to, "Yeah, I was talking with this one person I'd met/reunited with online/on my phone. We're just friends, though, really!"

Finally, we get to the point where the sexy pictures and texts come up and that pretty much answers that question. 

(And of course, at one point, somebody - and it's usually the husband - will sometimes also say that they and their wife had an "unconventional" relationship, in which they were allowed to see other people or were swingers. And of course, since their spouse is dead, they can't be there to confirm or deny those claims. How convenient!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Whenever I see an ID special that is more than two episodes long I know it's mostly bullshit. Why I bothered with this has more to do with lack of holiday week new programming than anything else. I knew it would be stupid.

I google those things to see what they are, before I record.  Too, with a lot of 2-parters, I only record the last part, and figure they'll catch you up with the story.

• Love 6

Dad is a big time pillar of the society and at his church, and they are known as a "Beaver Cleaver" family. 

Paging John List...

I remember the whole ridiculousness of this case, but not sure if it was a Dateline episode I watched. It's the kind of thing where you sit there in amazement as it gets progressively more unbelievable. The daughters are massively delusional.

• Love 9

A true crime first!  I was watching one of the new Buried in the Backyard episodes, and a guy saw something in the water and thought at first it was a mannequin...because...he had actually found mannequins before in that waterway!

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

A true crime first!  I was watching one of the new Buried in the Backyard episodes, and a guy saw something in the water and thought at first it was a mannequin...because...he had actually found mannequins before in that waterway!

That is a first!  I would assume it was a body, because I'd never heard of/seen a mannequin found.
Wonder if anyone's buried a mannequin.

• Love 5

I started watching this story on Dateline Friday night and then fell asleep after like, 15 minutes. Just tired, not that it was boring. Pondering watching On Demand. I vaguely remember it being in the news at the time. This guy is quite the piece of work, and his wife suspected he was cheating but the girlfriend/fiancee didn't seem to realize there was anything suspicious until that last week.

Authorities say Addie claimed he and his wife Melanie Addie had divorced, and that she had been in a car accident and later died after being removed from life support. Cohen said Addie kept putting off wedding preparation meetings because he said he had to deal with funeral arrangements....

His now ex-wife, Melanie Addie, is very much alive and was never in a car accident. She says it was only after police showed up at her door the night of the murder that she discovered her husband of 23 years had been in a 7 year relationship with Molly Watson and was engaged to marry her.

• Love 3

The new Cold Case Files had the same tired song about the great little town of Griffin, GA. It was a nice town, it was a great town, blacks never felt treated different then whites. Except for members of the KKK who marched in their parades. But it was a nice town. They had a tree known as the Hanging Tree. Well, nothing weird about that. I know it was 1983 when Timothy Coggins was murdered in such a horrible way. But its hard to buy the town was so nice the way they describe including one of Timothy's relatives (his sister, cousin or niece) until the murder. The detective who started out investigating the murder was African-American and he was soon taken off the case and it was given to a white detective who did nothing and three months later the case was closed. Later found out that some members of the police were KKK. Great. Just who you want in cops. I wonder how many others didn't get justice with them on the force. Enough with the good, great, perfect town stuff. People can like their town or have good memories but stop making making it seem like these are nice, perfect towns where bad things don't happen. It happens everywhere.

Oh, and two of the murderers? One was in jail for rape and another had served time for raping a preteen. Because of course they are.

I did like that the current detective on the case had the one who was removed from the case arrest both men. Good. 

• Love 5

Can't remember what I was watching, but a man was missing, and so was his car.  At some point the car was found, and the police expressed surprise about the location where it was found, because it wasn't close by to where he lived or in a part of town where he was known to have business.  Hmmm.   I know I'm not a detective, but, gee, don't stolen cars sometimes get ditched in the perp's part of town, after the perp is done with them?  Who could possibly have thought to broaden the scope of where to look for the car? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I recently watched Fruitcake Fraud, a Discovery+ original documentary about the $17 million embezzlement committed by the controller of Collin Street Bakery. Yep, he stole that much money over several years and finally got caught. I tend to agree with this review of it (except I think the embezzler's wife was named Kay, not Faye). It wasn't the greatest thing I've seen, but I'm not sorry I spent the time to watch it. 

Personal note: the Collin Street Bakery, located in Corsicana, TX, does a huge biz in fruitcakes. I must have first tasted a piece of one of those fruitcakes as a teen if not younger. And, I do. not. like them at all. I love sweets, but not that stuff. As an adult I occasionally was sent one as a Christmas gift. One of the joys of single adulthood was dumping that sh*t straight into the trash, lol.

As to the documentary, It left a bit of an aftertaste although not as bad as the fruitcakes do. I wish it had provided more insight into the embezzler, and how the hell the company had set up an accounting system which let him get away with that amazing amount of theft. Yikes.

Edited by Jeeves
No, I didn't eat a whole fruitcake, lol.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

You know you watch too much true crime TV, when you hear about a courtroom trial with opposing sides each hiring their own forensic pathologist, and you say "wow" cause you recognize the names of the (famous) pathologists!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Anyone watching New York Homicide? Weirdest story I think I've ever seen, the Haitian grandmother who was murdered by who was described as her best friend. There was no actual motive. The murdered woman practiced voodoo and was well known in the community.

[Tamisha] told detectives a woman from the neighborhood became worried that her boyfriend might be interested in her. “The woman was a devout practitioner of voodoo.”

Harper told police that the woman had cursed her and so she went to Edna, a spiritual healer, to remove the hex. Edna agreed to help her. But the encounter didn’t go as planned.

Harper told the cops that Edna looked at her and said, “You’re here to kill me,” investigators told producers. At that point, Harper claimed, spirits took over her. 

She choked her friend with her hands and the cords. “She describes grabbing the hammer but never describes hitting Edna with it,” said Alonso. 

She had no reason and nothing to gain from killing Edna. Psychotic break?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Anyone watching New York Homicide? Weirdest story I think I've ever seen, the Haitian grandmother who was murdered by who was described as her best friend. There was no actual motive. The murdered woman practiced voodoo and was well known in the community.

She had no reason and nothing to gain from killing Edna. Psychotic break?

IIRC, there was something near the beginning about how Tamisha had seen a voodoo priestess who told her to kill Edna?  

• Useful 1

Ugh, tonight's episode of "Murder Under the Friday Night Lights", about the murder of Luis Ramirez in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania. Infuriating and yet sadly not at all surprising in terms of how the town responded, both in terms of their horrible attitudes towards Luis and in terms of their determination to protect and defend the athletes who committed the crime. God forbid their precious star football players ever dare be held accountable for anything they do. 

And then the officers just not caring one bit about the blatant conflict of interest, and aiding in the cover up - again, not surprising, but no less appalling. Thank goodness for that 911 call tripping up one of the officers in the end, though, that was pretty hilarious. And I'm also glad the feds stepped in to set things right, too (though I wish some of the sentences had been a little longer). Very satisfying to see those smug looks wiped off those boys' faces in the end. 

I'm not even a sports fan, but this series is fascinating thus far. Kinda like "Dark Side of the Ring", in a way. 

• Love 6

Suddenly Prisoner of Love showed up on ID and seemed like it would be about some murderous love affair or serial killer or something but no, it's a candid 'dating an inmate' 'matchmaking of inmates' show. First, why ID? Why? Second, the woman in this thing is a matchmaker for inmates and folks on the outside. She isn't content to let folks decide for themselves if this is something they want to pursue, she is delighted to recruit people on the outside to match to inmates who apply to her for relationships. And the worst thing is she is actively recruiting some shy, hesitant young people and seriously working to convince them to give the incarcerated drug dealer/ax murderer/whatever a chance, he seems like a really nice guy y'all!.  If one of these not street wise young inexperienced people gets hurt (as in taken in fraud or injured or killed) I hope this woman gets her legal or civil comeuppence. She's beyond disgusting.  It's like looking at a very friendly cheerful evil sociopath.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I haven't seen this show, because the info seemed to imply that's what it would be, and I'm with you in wondering why the hell this kind of series is a thing. 

I did see it show up on the Guide, clicked on the synopsis to see if it was something I wanted to record, and noped right out. This seems like a better fit for TLC.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Suddenly Prisoner of Love showed up on ID and seemed like it would be about some murderous love affair or serial killer or something but no, it's a candid 'dating an inmate' 'matchmaking of inmates' show. First, why ID? Why? Second, the woman in this thing is a matchmaker for inmates and folks on the outside. She isn't content to let folks decide for themselves if this is something they want to pursue, she is delighted to recruit people on the outside to match to inmates who apply to her for relationships. And the worst thing is she is actively recruiting some shy, hesitant young people and seriously working to convince them to give the incarcerated drug dealer/ax murderer/whatever a chance, he seems like a really nice guy y'all!.  If one of these not street wise young inexperienced people gets hurt (as in taken in fraud or injured or killed) I hope this woman gets her legal or civil comeuppence. She's beyond disgusting.  It's like looking at a very friendly cheerful evil sociopath.

Also, IIRC, she's a TEACHER! I don't remember if they said what grade, but WOW! I'm wondering if she still has THAT job?! And that cute, kinda shy guy, who's all of like 22 years old, and I think he'd have no problem getting ANY OTHER KIND OF GIRL, and she ropes him into it, not to mention he is her son's best friend, since they were little!! And THEN! THEN... shy guy's FATHER, who is against his son doing it at first, decides that he HIMSELF might try it, too!! HE'S not getting any younger, so WHY NOT?!?! I don't know WHAT the hell is going on w/this show, but I'm glad the matchmaker (who ADMITTEDLY flakes from relationship to relationship) is getting ghosted by her love interest inmate in IDAHO (and she's in FLA). I'm wondering if these people are for real?? Really?? You're shy, 22 years old, so your answer isn't to like go ONLINE and join some group?? (I'm 50, there was no "online" for me at 22 to meet new people!) ALL these other resources for a nerdy guy into anime, yet he chooses THIS?? This is all beyond bizarre! lol 

• Love 6

Well at least in the preview it looks like a number of these relationships turn sour/dark rather quickly. We can only hope -- if we've learned anything from watching true crime it's that you pick a reformed ax murderer, one day you're gonna wake up in bed married to an ax murderer.

'She's a career criminal with a violent drug addicted past but she seems like she's reformed now so I'm sure she'll make a great lifetime partner." (paraphrased)  Good god.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
On 1/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, LuvMyShows said:

A 'tell' that I've been noticing more and more in the 9-1-1 calls when the killer is actually the one making the call as though they are just now encountering the dead person, is that they make themselves sound very out of breath...like they have to take a big gulp of air after every word.  What was the name of that young female killer who was so unbelievably overboard in her hyperventilating, maybe in an ambulance?  She also basically would stop hyperventilating at the drop of a hat when she was asked questions that took her out of that mode.  I think her name was kind of weird, like Pacey or something?

Not sure which show aired this (Dateline maybe) but the best part was when she was giving that interview in the ambulance. She’s facing the cop, doing her fake breathing thing & answering his questions. But behind her, there’s an EMT sitting there. And he’s just looking at her with this “I can’t believe this; you are obviously full of shit” expression on his face. I remember rewinding it a few times b/c he was cracking me up. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, Tdoc72 said:

Not sure which show aired this (Dateline maybe) but the best part was when she was giving that interview in the ambulance. She’s facing the cop, doing her fake breathing thing & answering his questions. But behind her, there’s an EMT sitting there. And he’s just looking at her with this “I can’t believe this; you are obviously full of shit” expression on his face. I remember rewinding it a few times b/c he was cracking me up.

You can enjoy her in all of her extreme hyperventilating wonder in the first 5 minutes of her 48 Hours episode. I have no idea how she managed NOT to pass out. Probably because she kept forgetting to do it for stretches of time. And the Oscar goes to??? ... NOT Chacey, that's for sure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/chacey-poynter-witness-to-murder-august-2020/#x

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/28/2022 at 1:54 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Well at least in the preview it looks like a number of these relationships turn sour/dark rather quickly. We can only hope -- if we've learned anything from watching true crime it's that you pick a reformed ax murderer, one day you're gonna wake up in bed married to an ax murderer.

Hey, don't worry about it, because if it doesn't work out, they can try getting adopted, on another bizarre show, Adults Adopting Adults.  (On A&E.)  Souring relationships here too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Has anyone watched Secrets, Lies and Private Eyes on ID?  Kind of interesting to get a bit of an insight into being a private eye, especially a female one. 

There have been two things kind of odd.  One involved an ex that someone wanted to serve papers to so they could try to recover money loaned for a car, but they couldn't find the ex to get an address, which is needed for the court papers.  So they hired a PI to find the ex and get his address.  The PI had a ruse to sort of lure the guy to drive to a particular place, and then her two hidden staff people would tail the guy home to get his address.  Failing that, at the least, the staff would get his license plate number when he showed up (while the PI was interacting with the guy as part of the ruse), so the PI could then run the tags and get his address that way.  Well the guy did show for the ruse but he got away afterward when he went through a light but the staff tailing him got stuck at the red.  So the PI said to them, at least you got the license plate number, right?  But they didn't!  As the PI said, they had just one task to do while the guy's car was parked, and it was to get the plate number...and she didn't fire them!  There is no way on earth that I could ever have worked with those two people again...what actual surveillance task could you possibly give them that would be any easier than the one they massively f*cked up?  And how could they have tailed the car through traffic and still not noticed what the tag number was?

The second thing was a case about this guy named Justin Williams.  He was accused of shooting and murdering a guy named William Tinker but Justin claimed it was self-defense.  The PI was hired by the defense team, since the police hadn't really investigated; they just basically charged Justin since Justin definitely did shoot and kill William.  Justin claimed that he was with his family at the beach, something happened (I was a little unclear on what), William stabbed Justin and came at him, and threatened his family, so Justin fired a warning shot to get William to back off, but it hit William and killed him.  So at one point, the PI calls Justin's wife for a statement, because she is basically the only shot they have to prove self-defense, through her eyewitnesses testimony, and she refuses to help because she "doesn't want to get involved".  WTAF? If my husband faced the very real possibility of life in prison and I could greatly reduce that chance by giving a statement, I'd give a million statements.  To the PI's credit, she then did all this stuff I would have expected the police to do, like re-enacting the shooting distance and angle to see if it supported his claim that he had shot from the hip as a warning, not from the normal chest-high angle and aimed; and talking to the dead guy's ex and finding out he was violent.  The DA requested a meeting to hear about all the evidence the PI had collected but still went ahead and pressed charges anyway, even though it sounded like there was no evidence at all to support a murder charge.  Then they showed something on the screen which said that the DA offered Justin the opportunity to take a polygraph and be released on bond, but he turned that down.  Again WTAF?  I had been all gung-ho in favor of Justin but that really made me suspicious.  The trial was apparently scheduled for late 2021 but I couldn't find anything about it on Google.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Has anyone watched Secrets, Lies and Private Eyes on ID?  Kind of interesting to get a bit of an insight into being a private eye, especially a female one. 

Quoting myself here 'cause one of the PIs said something very interesting...that 75% of her cases were people questioning the stated cause of death.  She was working a case that the police ruled a suicide but it really didn't seem like it circumstantially and the family didn't think it was either.  Another PI does a lot of cold cases and the work she did on the case we saw, actually got the case re-opened by the police.

• Love 4

Holy hell, well, the new season of "Evil Lives Here" sure started off on an especially horrifying and dark note. Seriously, fair warning for anyone who watches this episode, you may want to be careful about what you eat, if anything, during it. Trust me. And if you've got any particular triggers relating to child abuse, heads up on that, too.

I just want to give Jesse all the hugs, and food, and any other means of comfort and support he can get. He deserves it all, along with his siblings. His struggle to tell his story was gut wrenching. When he looked at those photos of himself in the hospital after he was rescued...that got me. As did the reveal of what happened to Marissa. Bless her, though, for showing the kindness Jesse and his siblings deserved, and for helping, along with that neighbor who called the cops, to get them out of that awful hellhole at long last. I'm glad that they've managed to go on to much better lives since then, and I wish them all the best. 

It's so, SO frustrating to hear about the lack of reaction from CPS in these kinds of stories - I know, I know they are overworked and grossly underfunded, and there's a lot of obstacles that prevent them from being able to do more much of the time, but...for god's sake, if only those people who came to visit that house had just gone upstairs. If only they'd seen through the "Oh, look at the boys playing with the toys!" ruse. Surely this wasn't their first time seeing "parents" try and pull that kind of fakery on them. 

Yeah. Such an emotional story. Just. Damn. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6
On 2/20/2022 at 10:01 PM, Annber03 said:

Holy hell, well, the new season of "Evil Lives Here" sure started off on an especially horrifying and dark note. Seriously, fair warning for anyone who watches this episode, you may want to be careful about what you eat, if anything, during it. Trust me. And if you've got any particular triggers relating to child abuse, heads up on that, too.

I just want to give Jesse all the hugs, and food, and any other means of comfort and support he can get. He deserves it all, along with his siblings. His struggle to tell his story was gut wrenching. When he looked at those photos of himself in the hospital after he was rescued...that got me. As did the reveal of what happened to Marissa. Bless her, though, for showing the kindness Jesse and his siblings deserved, and for helping, along with that neighbor who called the cops, to get them out of that awful hellhole at long last. I'm glad that they've managed to go on to much better lives since then, and I wish them all the best. 

It's so, SO frustrating to hear about the lack of reaction from CPS in these kinds of stories - I know, I know they are overworked and grossly underfunded, and there's a lot of obstacles that prevent them from being able to do more much of the time, but...for god's sake, if only those people who came to visit that house had just gone upstairs. If only they'd seen through the "Oh, look at the boys playing with the toys!" ruse. Surely this wasn't their first time seeing "parents" try and pull that kind of fakery on them. 

Yeah. Such an emotional story. Just. Damn. 

Yes, this one was particularly awful. And it was very frustrating to think of all of the adults who did nothing. It's hard to decide who was worse, the girlfriend who committed the abuse or the mother who didn't lift a finger for her children!

1 hour ago, geekgirl921 said:

It's hard to decide who was worse, the girlfriend who committed the abuse or the mother who didn't lift a finger for her children!

I had so many questions about the mother who didn't do anything, too. I mean, given just how abusive Alice was, on the one hand, I get where it'd be that much harder for Mary to stand up to her. And since they were a gay couple, I don't know how much protection, if any, she would've had available to her compared to a straight couple. We've seen how law enforcement's hands are often tied, or how little they refuse to do, with straight couples in domestic abuse situations, so I can only imagine how much tougher it'd be with a same-sex couple in a similar situation. 

But yeah, on the other hand....I mean...this woman put your children in a closet. For MONTHS, to the point where Jesse couldn't tell time or the day of the week or anything. They hardly ever got to go outside. They were sleeping in their own waste and being made to eat it. They hardly ever got to eat actual food. I don't get how you just stand by and watch that happen and not try and do something

• Love 2

Did anyone watch the Curse of the Chippendales on ID?  It was a three part series.  I had not heard the story before and so starting out had no idea who was killed, who did the killing, etc.  I also did not realize it was the founder's racist idea of male beauty and female desire that contributed to the demise of the franchise. 

Anyway, hearing the story from the perspective of the strippers, lawyers, agents and other assorted people who lived through it was really interesting.  Ultimately the killer wasn't a surprise but it was shocking how cold and vindictive he was, the lengths he was willing to go, and how many people he fooled.  All that fame and power and it didn't do any of the people involved an ounce of good.  Pretty sad, really.

• Love 6

There’s a series coming soon to NBC I believe, called The Thing About Pam that’s based on a true story.  Has anyone seen the previews?  It looks awesome.   It stars Renee Zellweager. The story was originally  featured on Dateline.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There’s a series coming soon to NBC I believe, called The Thing About Pam that’s based on a true story.  Has anyone seen the previews?  It looks awesome.   It stars Renee Zellweager. The story was originally  featured on Dateline.

I'm looking forward to this. It is quite the story.

• Love 4