Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 2/26/2022 at 11:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

There’s a series coming soon to NBC I believe, called The Thing About Pam that’s based on a true story.  Has anyone seen the previews?  It looks awesome.   It stars Renee Zellweager. The story was originally  featured on Dateline.

Yes, 6 episodes starting Tuesday, March 8. I’ve been waiting for this one. I would like to record all 6 and binge, but I know I won’t be able to hold out. 

• Love 6

Good lord, this week's "Evil Lives Here" was about as bleak and disturbing as last week's. Poor Amy - that scream on her 911 call to the police was gut wrenching. 

Her brother should never, under any circumstances, be allowed to get out of prison. Ever. 

• Love 8

A favorite murder w/surveillance video, was the one when the rich guy bought matching luxury cars--his in black, hers white--for his girlfriend.
Later he decided to break off with her, and she killed him, and there was video of her renting the UHaul, etc.
It use to be on fairly often, but haven't seen it in a while.
Does anyone know which show/which case this was?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Good lord, this week's "Evil Lives Here" was about as bleak and disturbing as last week's. Poor Amy - that scream on her 911 call to the police was gut wrenching. 

Her brother should never, under any circumstances, be allowed to get out of prison. Ever. 

I'm having trouble watching the new season, and this stuff usually doesn't bother me.  It's extremely depressing and upsetting.

This new show with pink hair girl - Crime Scene Confidential(?) - is that Dr G I see in the commercial for it?

I wasn't all that interested but if Dr G is going to be featured, I will take a look.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That one and the Alice Jenkins case.  I don't even like children but how does a mother allow her girlfriend to make her children eat dog shit??  The neighbor lady who called the cops when she saw the children outside...  I'm glad she called but how did she not go flying out that door to help those poor kids?

I'm so glad the police officers believed them - I felt like they were going to say they had been returned.  

And Marissa dying in such a shit way after doing what she could to save her brothers.

I just wanted to hug poor Jesse.  I hope he finds some peace.

• Love 2

Surreal moment; Dr G giving the news conference about the remains of Caylee Anthony  because she really was the Chief Medical Examiner for that area of Florida at the time.

Most recent episode of New York Homicide, they found the guy who did it but he had cancer and died before standing trial. There is justice that he died miserable and alone on Rikers Island, I suppose. And one of the former NYPD officers they interviewed who had been on the case had such awful greasy, unkempt hair. You're appearing on national television, and you look like you haven't showered in weeks. Do you not have a mirror?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, auntjess said:

A favorite murder w/surveillance video, was the one when the rich guy bought matching luxury cars--his in black, hers white--for his girlfriend.
Later he decided to break off with her, and she killed him, and there was video of her renting the UHaul, etc.

Wasn’t it on Forensic Files?

ETA:  I think I may have found it.  S13E39, “Separation Anxiety.”

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2022 at 2:53 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

Did anyone watch the Curse of the Chippendales on ID?  It was a three part series.  I had not heard the story before and so starting out had no idea who was killed, who did the killing, etc.  I also did not realize it was the founder's racist idea of male beauty and female desire that contributed to the demise of the franchise. 

Anyway, hearing the story from the perspective of the strippers, lawyers, agents and other assorted people who lived through it was really interesting.  Ultimately the killer wasn't a surprise but it was shocking how cold and vindictive he was, the lengths he was willing to go, and how many people he fooled.  All that fame and power and it didn't do any of the people involved an ounce of good.  Pretty sad, really.

Just finished watching it, and I agree about the different perspectives.  I found it very engrossing. 

When the final episode finished, I was listening but doing something else, so it went straight into another show, which was a 3-parter called King of the Con, about a guy named Barry Minkow, who started a carpet-cleaning company called Zzzz Best at age 15 and became insanely successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams.  But the stuff that made him rich was fraud, and he went on to do other fraudulent stuff.  He is very personable and makes an entertaining narrator, and is like a cross between Marcus Lemonis (of The Profit) and Tom Hanks.  (And it turns out that Tom Hanks actually approached Minkow to request playing him in the movie version of Minkow's life, which I am now watching on Amazon....idiotically Minkow turned him down so he could do the role himself!)  Turns out Minkow is very famous...my son studied him in accounting class.

• Useful 4
On 2/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, sskrill said:

This new show with pink hair girl - Crime Scene Confidential(?) - is that Dr G I see in the commercial for it?

I wasn't all that interested but if Dr G is going to be featured, I will take a look.

I wasn't able to find this show...what is it and where?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, smittykins said:
On 2/28/2022 at 10:02 AM, auntjess said:

Wasn’t it on Forensic Files?

ETA:  I think I may have found it.  S13E39, “Separation Anxiety.”

Edited 4 hours ago by smittykins

It was also an episode on 48 Hours - S19 E5 - Secrets and Lies on Grapevine Lake

• Love 3

OK, with the help here on my black/white luxury cars show, I was able to look it up in IMDB, 
and the woman gets a credit like any actor,
Her name is Tracey Frame,
Thank both of you so much.
image.png.f27ba67b36016ba1e8c7897db9c95c37.png

• Love 2
On 3/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Just finished watching it, and I agree about the different perspectives.  I found it very engrossing. 

When the final episode finished, I was listening but doing something else, so it went straight into another show, which was a 3-parter called King of the Con, about a guy named Barry Minkow, who started a carpet-cleaning company called Zzzz Best at age 15 and became insanely successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams.  But the stuff that made him rich was fraud, and he went on to do other fraudulent stuff.  He is very personable and makes an entertaining narrator, and is like a cross between Marcus Lemonis (of The Profit) and Tom Hanks.  (And it turns out that Tom Hanks actually approached Minkow to request playing him in the movie version of Minkow's life, which I am now watching on Amazon....idiotically Minkow turned him down so he could do the role himself!)  Turns out Minkow is very famous...my son studied him in accounting class.

American Greed has profiled Barry Minkow and the employee who defrauded the Collin St. Bakery. I think the documentaries on Discovery Plus add a lot of filler.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

A great series about recently convicted Elizabeth Holmes, named The Dropout, is on HULU.  There’s a thread around here under Drama.  It’s freaky how much Amanda Seyfried  resembles Holmes.  So far, it’s really good, though the first episode’s a little slow.  

• Love 1

'The Dropout' And 'Inventing Anna' Have A Lot Of Empathy For Fake White Feminists

For women, adopting male-identifying behavior or traits to gain any type of success is a familiar journey. But significantly less relatable is that Holmes is a hoax, which has nothing to do with the fact that she was patronized by men. Her well-documented story about a favorite uncle dying of cancer that inspired her so-called groundbreaking career (a still-debated anecdote to this day) is just another way for her to garner sympathy and win allies. But viewers should see beyond the obviously manipulative choices that are contextualized in the series. She was corrupt because she wanted to be, and got away with it as long as she did — she currently faces up to 20 years in federal prison — because she knew she could.

• Love 3

Confused about something that happened on Sins of the City, on TV One (it's app only, not shown on TV or computer).  Season 2 episode 2 (Oklahoma City) had a woman report that a cop had pulled her over on the city streets at 2 in the morning and sexually abused her.  In their investigation, they found video footage from across the street, which corroborated her story that she was pulled over in the location that she said, at the time that she said, by a black police car as she described.  We saw the footage, and it was pretty clear, and showed the two cars and some of the surroundings in front of, behind, and around the two cars (but the license plate was not clear enough to identify which cop car).  

Then they had to figure out which cop it was by doing all sorts of duty log and GPS stuff, and then there was talk of whether to believe he really did it.  But at no time, ever, was there any talk about what would have been captured on the video!  Since it was a comprehensive view of the cars and some of the area around the cars, wouldn't the footage have shown the whole traffic stop and everything that happened?  They definitely could have identified the cop, since there was a clear view of the cars, and he got out.  And the video would have captured everything that happened, since she didn't mention anything about being led far away from the cars.  And if for some reason they did end up walking out of the range of that camera, that in and of itself would have been an anomaly in procedure, which would be worthy of mentioning.  And further if for some reason the camera footage after the initial shot, ended up getting garbled, or only took pictures once every 10 minutes, then that is worthy of being mentioned.  But no mention, beyond that initial corroboration of her story, was ever made about the video, nor was any mention ever made about any actions that could or couldn't be seen on the video, and I found that very odd.  

• Useful 2
50 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

Anyone watching Worst Roommate Ever on Netflix?  Holy f!!! I've only seen the first episode and it was way darker than I expected.

Yes, I watched "Call Me Grandma" which was dark indeed. At least it gave a good rundown on the perp's criminal history. I'd heard of the case but don't remember any show featuring the background stuff. As for the rest of the episodes, they just looked too dark for my taste. I tend to watch Netflix at bedtime, lately the world is effing dark enough, and I just can't with the rest of the episodes. At least for now. 

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

Anyone watching Worst Roommate Ever on Netflix?  Holy f!!! I've only seen the first episode and it was way darker than I expected.

Yes, I watched the first episode as well. So many questions, how the hell was she able to move and bury those bodies all by herself? Especially a 270+ pound man?? She was really only around 52-55 years old? What?? Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. 

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 3

Wow, the second episode of "Signs of a Psychopath" tonight, about Elaine Campione - what a haunting, incredibly sad, disturbing story. Those videos from the day of the murders were eerie

• Love 5
On 3/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

***************************ALERT ***********************************

Tonite and Thursday NBC will have  2 part show  about  one of our favorite psychos Pam, Hupp.

NBC dateline? Or another show?

Does anyone recall the name of the series that follows the defense of certain defendants who are charged with crimes…most involve murder. One case was about a man charged with killing another driver, when he crossed over into their lane and hit them.  Another story was a man charged with murdering his mother.  One story was about a mother charged with child abuse that almost killed her son.  It shows the facts, personal story, attorneys preparing for trial, court proceedings, etc.  I watched a couple of them last weekend, but now I can’t find it.  I don’t think it’s new.  ……………….

Found it. It’s called The Accused:Guilty or Innocent?  It’s on A&E.  It’s pretty good.  

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2020/05/24/ae-tv-accused-guilty-innocent-crime-documentary-jason-carter-iowa-farmer-murder-trial-killing-mother/5252240002/

I found it available on Hulu.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2

Is anyone watching the new show Caught in the Net on ID?  The first episode was called Heart Rate and Time and was one of those where the Fitbit helps determine time of death.   Turns out the 90-year-old stepfather killed his stepdaughter for the life insurance money.   With the Fitbit determining when she died, they had video showing that the stepfather's car had arrived shortly before her death and left shortly afterward, and that no one else came or went.  Police searched his home and found a shirt with blood on it that I think turned out to be hers. 

He denied everything.  When he was in the interview room at the police station, and the detectives left the room, he was of course still on closed circuit camera and he was doing calisthenics, which let them know he was fit enough to have committed the murder.  The detectives told him that they had the bloody shirt, and while they were out of the room, the audio got him talking to himself, saying something like "How can it be?  I was wearing a raincoat"...which they also found in a shed on his property.  Yet in spite of all of that, the mother (married to the step-father) has been unable to believe that her husband actually killed her daughter.  Delusion is powerful!

• Love 6

I did see that episode, yeah! Bad idea to start muttering like that to yourself in the interrogation room, yes - they record that stuff. 

It's so weird how something like a Fitbit can prove something like that. That's both neat and freaky all at the same time. 

• Love 5

In the latest Forensic Files II Mix Matched the poor victim runs up to bounces at a bar/club begging for help because he was attacked and even shows them a stab wound. A man runs after him but the bounces blow him off deciding it was a lover's quarrel. He runs off and the man runs after him and stabs him to death. But hey there were witnesses so six of them who fingered the killer. He even had an alibi that he was with a friend out bar hopping that the cops were able to verify. The forensic guy said that the DNA had been inconclusive. But it still went to court because of the six witnesses. That's something right? Nope. They picked the wrong guy. The DNA wasn't inconclusive at all. They ran it two different ways because the first one wasn't considered standard by the courts. The DNA matched a guy who had been arrested a few weeks later for stabbing someone else in Georgia. The wrongly convicted man was in jail for nine years. 

Amazingly the man was pretty forgiving for what happen to him.

• Love 4

A Time to Kill -- The most recent episode titled 'A Bloody Fingerprint' was absolutely disgusting. Not for the crime - which was a murder-rape, awful - but for the way the case was presented by the maker of the series.  There is a scene where the young woman is being attacked and raped and fighting and screaming her lungs out and it is played again and again and again and again and again and again.... I would not be surprised if I rewatched it and timed it and found it occupied one half or more of the entire program.  I did count how many times it was replayed in the last 20 minutes, including commercials, and came up with ten. 

The policemen involved were very matter of fact and respectful. It was the producer of the show that decided that the way to show this case was to have us watch this scene multiple multiple times. I was left with the impression that this person/persons simply get off on it. There is no legitimate reason to edit any case in this manner unless you yourself are getting off on the violence and a woman screaming as she is raped and murdered. It is just overwhelmingly gratuitous.

I will never watch this show again. And I am not a squeamish person and watch a lot of true crime tv. But this is different.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Just curious if anyone in this forum besides me watches Fatal Attraction on TV One.  I know some people here watch ATL Homicide, but I've never heard anyone mention Fatal Attraction.

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Just curious if anyone in this forum besides me watches Fatal Attraction on TV One.  I know some people here watch ATL Homicide, but I've never heard anyone mention Fatal Attraction.

If it's the same one that airs on ID then yes, it's one of my favorites.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Does anyone see reports of things like a body found in a toolbox on the side of the road, or that poor kid they pulled out of the septic tank, and think what true crime show it will turn up as an episode?

Funny you should mention that, since there is a case in the DC area that I've been following and it's exactly like a Dateline plot.  A woman (Megan) was convicted of killing her mother and sister, and staging it to look like a murder-suicide in which the sister had killed her mother, including sending fake text messages afterward as the sister.  Megan had improperly shown her mother's bank account, which had over $400,000, as her own when qualifying for a home loan, and the day before the murder she tried to access the mother's account and transfer the money because it was needed for closing costs the next day, but mom was notified and put a freeze on the account.  So the next day, Megan killed the mother and logged in to the mom's computer as the mom to transfer the money.  They were all in the same house, and the sister actually called her boyfriend to tell him what was happening as it was unfolding.  She told him that Megan said she killed their mother, and the boyfriend said to get out of the house, but the sister was worried about the safety of Megan's daughter so she stayed and ended up getting killed.  Heartbreaking.

• Love 2
On 12/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, andromeda331 said:

That reminds me of the guy who tried to prove he had an abili by filming himself out fishing on a Forsenic Files episode and not murdering the woman who pressed charges against the woman he robbed a year earlier. All he did was keep the camera on himself. The detectives noticed how odd that was. He didn't talk to the camera. He didn't film any of the scenery at the lake like anyone else would do when filming their fishing trip. They were able to tell by the sun and shadows that he wasn't there when he claimed and was time stamped by the camera. 

Another man who hired a hitman to kill his ex-wife, his disabled son and his nurse also provided a video to prove his alibi. At the time of the murders it showed him at home in California watching the news. Right because people always record themselves watching the news. Nothing weird about that. 

I do that every night!

Stacy Castor's mom believed Stacy.  Oy.

Any Reasonable Doubt fans here?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I do that every night!

Stacy Castor's mom believed Stacy.  Oy.

Any Reasonable Doubt fans here?

Yes. I’ve been missing Reasonable Doubt.  When may we catch it?  

• Love 3
On 3/31/2022 at 8:07 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes. I’ve been missing Reasonable Doubt.  When may we catch it?  

I watch it on Discovery Plus, I stream it.  I bought seasons 1, 2, and 4 through Google Play and watch it on Google tv.  And I listen to a podcast on Spotify.  I dont have cable.  The best are Celeste Beard, Kara Garvin (her mom is in a state of denial one only dreams about) and one called For Her Love.  New episodes in July or August.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I watch it on Discovery Plus, I stream it.  I bought seasons 1, 2, and 4 through Google Play and watch it on Google tv.  And I listen to a podcast on Spotify.  I dont have cable.  The best are Celeste Beard, Kara Garvin (her mom is in a state of denial one only dreams about) and one called For Her Love.  New episodes in July or August.

I’ve downloaded ID app and can get all seasons of this I think.  I watched a couple of episodes yesterday.  One was about the man convicted of building a bomb that killed his pregnant ex girlfriend….evil man for sure.  It wasn’t even close….no doubt he was guilty. The feds put him sway.   His adult daughter and mother accepted the results pretty well.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve downloaded ID app and can get all seasons of this I think.  I watched a couple of episodes yesterday.  One was about the man convicted of building a bomb that killed his pregnant ex girlfriend….evil man for sure.  It wasn’t even close….no doubt he was guilty. The feds put him sway.   His adult daughter and mother accepted the results pretty well.  

I have watched that once few times and I respectfully say I don't think the mom took it well.  I mean, you brought a man who had impregnated two females by what, age 22?  Built a bomb to kill the second one to avoid paying child support?  I have two sons 22 and 24 would be horrified at this behavior.  Another thread I can't help but notice os the absence of dads in these convicts lives.

Another heartbreaking one was Ken Anderson here in Minnesota.  He stared yelling at Chris during the interview and saying "you're pissing me off!"  Really?  This man is going to help you get OUT OF JAIL and this is how you treat him?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I have watched that once few times and I respectfully say I don't think the mom took it well.  I mean, you brought a man who had impregnated two females by what, age 22?  Built a bomb to kill the second one to avoid paying child support?  I have two sons 22 and 24 would be horrified at this behavior.  Another thread I can't help but notice os the absence of dads in these convicts lives.

Another heartbreaking one was Ken Anderson here in Minnesota.  He stared yelling at Chris during the interview and saying "you're pissing me off!"  Really?  This man is going to help you get OUT OF JAIL and this is how you treat him?

She may not have rebuked him, but she stayed calm, gave encouraging words to her granddaughter, who did acknowledge the guilt and politely thanked the team for all their hard work.  And, she didn’t vow to keep fighting to have her son freed.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She may not have rebuked him, but she stayed calm, gave encouraging words to her granddaughter, who did acknowledge the guilt and politely thanked the team for all their hard work.  And, she didn’t vow to keep fighting to have her son freed.  

That is true.  Maybe she is relieved his not productive behind is not her problem?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Not sure anyone else will get the same stupid thrill that I did, but in case there are any others out there like me, I wanted to pass along a silly real-life thing you can do with your true crime knowledge....

I was watching a show from 2021, and at the end they indicated that sentencing had not yet occurred for one of the defendants who was found guilty.  I was curious as to whether sentencing had occurred since then, so I went to the Wikipedia entry for the murder, which indicated that sentencing still hadn't occurred.  But it seemed odd to me that by 2022 sentencing still hadn't occurred, so I went to Google and found out that sentencing had occurred in July 2021.  So I decided to update the Wiki article.  All you have to do is create a Wiki account and you can edit.  And since I don't know how the editing language/commands work to make a reference/footnote for my updated text, all I did after typing in my updated text was copy someone else's reference/footnote entry and change it accordingly for my information.  It worked, the article is up-to-date, and I am now a published Wiki editor!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Not sure anyone else will get the same stupid thrill that I did, but in case there are any others out there like me, I wanted to pass along a silly real-life thing you can do with your true crime knowledge....

I was watching a show from 2021, and at the end they indicated that sentencing had not yet occurred for one of the defendants who was found guilty.  I was curious as to whether sentencing had occurred since then, so I went to the Wikipedia entry for the murder, which indicated that sentencing still hadn't occurred.  But it seemed odd to me that by 2022 sentencing still hadn't occurred, so I went to Google and found out that sentencing had occurred in July 2021.  So I decided to update the Wiki article.  All you have to do is create a Wiki account and you can edit.  And since I don't know how the editing language/commands work to make a reference/footnote for my updated text, all I did after typing in my updated text was copy someone else's reference/footnote entry and change it accordingly for my information.  It worked, the article is up-to-date, and I am now a published Wiki editor!

Congratulations!  I’ll keep that in mind.  

• Love 2

Just watched an old Dateline episode, the one about millionaire Tex McIver who accidentally or not shot his wife Diane in the back while he was in the back seat of the SUV driven by her friend (Diane was in the passenger seat).  The thing that struck me the most was how basically anything can be presented as evidence as long as you spin it properly. 

After the gun went off, the friend drove straight to the emergency room.  Apparently Diane was coherent enough in the hospital before surgery to say that it was an accident, but then she died in surgery.  And so Tex's defense used that as part of their case, that Diane had said it was an accident.  But how on earth would Diane actually know whether it was an accident or not?  Even if at the time the gun went off, Tex said something like "Oh no, oh my god, how did the gun accidentally go off?  This is awful, I never meant for this to happen" or words to that effect, Diane was in the front seat and had absolutely no way on earth to know whether it was an accident or not.  But the defense presented that as though it was a big deal.

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay peeps,i need help.  What show and episode was the cop who killed his pregnant girlfriend?  He and partner were called Tango and cash?  Thank youa

Don't know if it is the show you are thinking of, but Where Murder Lies (Season 1, Episode2) "No Hiding the Truth" is about the right people. Ken Bluew and Jenny Webb. Pretty sure I saw the story on another show but can't find it right now.

Edited by Schnickelfritz
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Just watched an old Dateline episode, the one about millionaire Tex McIver who accidentally or not shot his wife Diane in the back while he was in the back seat of the SUV driven by her friend (Diane was in the passenger seat).  The thing that struck me the most was how basically anything can be presented as evidence as long as you spin it properly. 

After the gun went off, the friend drove straight to the emergency room.  Apparently Diane was coherent enough in the hospital before surgery to say that it was an accident, but then she died in surgery.  And so Tex's defense used that as part of their case, that Diane had said it was an accident.  But how on earth would Diane actually know whether it was an accident or not?  Even if at the time the gun went off, Tex said something like "Oh no, oh my god, how did the gun accidentally go off?  This is awful, I never meant for this to happen" or words to that effect, Diane was in the front seat and had absolutely no way on earth to know whether it was an accident or not.  But the defense presented that as though it was a big deal.

Isn't that the same case where Tex also claimed that he didn't know his gun was there, or something like that, even though it was sitting in his lap at the time? I remember finding that really weird, too - I would think you'd know whether or not you had a gun in your lap, they're not exactly lightweight items. 

• Useful 2