Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 4/9/2018 at 10:13 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

The Staircase Murder series (documentary) is pretty good.  It's very fast paced.  Episode one was last night, tonight is Episode 2 at 10:00 p.m. I think there are 3 parts. I learned a lot about the couple's background, how they met, etc.  I was surprised at how vocal the victim's sister is in this thing.  OMG...I suppose now that Mike has finally pleaded, she has resolved it in her mind.  They showed crime scene photos that I had never seen.  

Separate show: I've never had a problem with Paula Zahn, but, I wonder why she can't pronounce the name Perez.  Odd. Do others say this like they are pronouncing Paris?

I watched every minute of that trial.  I hate Michael Peterson and David Rudolf’s faces!!  ??????

• Love 3

I'm disappointed with Marcia Clark's show for going over the same old cases, and for apparently jumping on the Rebecca Zahau Was Murdered train.  Kind of ironic that she appears untroubled by a jury that convicted someone without a single shred of evidence.  Pretty sure this will be overturned.

I think she wanted it to look like murder.  Her family kept saying how she wasn't depressed by the accident.  Really?  If a child died on my watch, I'd be devastated, but it was actually the painted door that confirmed the suicide for me, since she was one pushing the "she saved him" narrative.  Surely if Adam killed her, he didn't also think she saved him.  She desperately wanted to think that, but the EMT didn't see her performing CPR, as I recall.

8 hours ago, Razzberry2 said:

I'm disappointed with Marcia Clark's show for going over the same old cases, and for apparently jumping on the Rebecca Zahau Was Murdered train.  Kind of ironic that she appears untroubled by a jury that convicted someone without a single shred of evidence.  Pretty sure this will be overturned.

I think she wanted it to look like murder.  Her family kept saying how she wasn't depressed by the accident.  Really?  If a child died on my watch, I'd be devastated, but it was actually the painted door that confirmed the suicide for me, since she was one pushing the "she saved him" narrative.  Surely if Adam killed her, he didn't also think she saved him.  She desperately wanted to think that, but the EMT didn't see her performing CPR, as I recall.

A jury has not convicted anyone, nor has anyone been charged with a crime.  A jury awarded the Zahau family CIVIL damages against Adam Shaknai, which they have little chance of collecting.

• Love 5
(edited)

message, painted in black on the white door, was written on two lines. The first line: "she saved him;" the second: "can you save her"

It’s been years since I read up on this case, but wouldn’t the use of pronouns in this message point directly to murder? Edited to say whoever painted the message is right-handed IMO. As a leftie I’d never make the E with swipes left to right. It’s awkward. Lefties usually swipe right to left. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

Re Skakel's conviction being overturned, how IN FUCK could everyone involved -- police, attorneys, investigators, Skakel himself, his friends -- possibly have overlooked a supposed alibi? "Gosh, should I maybe have mentioned that?" asked Skakel.

I'm not arguing the merits of the case and haven't read Robert Kennedy's book, but that induces some top level eye rolling from me.

Is anyone watching Evil Genius on Netflix? It's a four-part documentary series by the Duplass brothers about the death of Brian Wells (the pizza heist murder). It's well done and has some surprises for people who don't know about or remember the crime.

• Love 10
On 5/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, bubbls said:

It’s been years since I read up on this case, but wouldn’t the use of pronouns in this message point directly to murder? Edited to say whoever painted the message is right-handed IMO. As a leftie I’d never make the E with swipes left to right. It’s awkward. Lefties usually swipe right to left. 

They recently featured an expert on handwriting on recent Breaking Homicide episode. and she make various comments about the writing and why she did not think it was of the victim (Rebecca).  One thing was how high it was on the door. Not at a level a woman her height would have had.  I suppose she could have used a stool or raised up on her tippy toes. She also commented on the style and choice  of the words and how they were hostile, even aggressive.  Not Rebecca's style at all. And, how it was written in block style, which is designed to disguise the handwriting.  Why would Rebecca be disguising her handwriting, if she's feeling sad, remorseful, and wanting to make amends for the boy's death?  She would want those who found her body to know that, so the word games in disguised writing make no sense.  The people hosting the show disagreed with her ultimately, though, just as the police did.    

And perhaps most importantly, IMO, is that whoever wrote that note, thought the boy would survive. Whoever wrote it, must have thought that the boy was going to live and did not realize that he was brain dead. Rebecca had been told that the boy was brain dead and would not recover.  So, there would be no reason for her to claim that she saved him.  The idea that she would feel bad enough to kill herself, while at the same time thinking she saved the boy doesn't add up to me.  

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 9:31 PM, walnutqueen said:

A jury has not convicted anyone, nor has anyone been charged with a crime.  A jury awarded the Zahau family CIVIL damages against Adam Shaknai, which they have little chance of collecting.

Yes, I understand that.   Convicted in the court of public opinion without any evidence is almost as bad, as some are using that verdict as vindication.

Edited by Razzberry2
  • Love 1
On 5/11/2018 at 7:57 PM, 2727 said:

Re Skakel's conviction being overturned, how IN FUCK could everyone involved -- police, attorneys, investigators, Skakel himself, his friends -- possibly have overlooked a supposed alibi? "Gosh, should I maybe have mentioned that?" asked Skakel.

I'm not arguing the merits of the case and haven't read Robert Kennedy's book, but that induces some top level eye rolling from me.

Is anyone watching Evil Genius on Netflix? It's a four-part documentary series by the Duplass brothers about the death of Brian Wells (the pizza heist murder). It's well done and has some surprises for people who don't know about or remember the crime.

I'm two episodes in and hooked. I'll be back with my thoughts when I finish.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2018 at 7:57 PM, 2727 said:

Thank you so much for this recommendation.   I am on the last episode.  This was not that long ago (2003) and somehow i don't remember this.   This doc is so well done.   

• Love 2

There was a new, at least to me, show, Last 24, showing the last 24 hours of the victims life.
While the cases were interesting, making things fit into the format/premise, was awkward, and I ended up ff'ing to the end.|
Not quite as bad as Redrum, but not good.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

There was a new, at least to me, show, Last 24, showing the last 24 hours of the victims life.
While the cases were interesting, making things fit into the format/premise, was awkward, and I ended up ff'ing to the end.|
Not quite as bad as Redrum, but not good.

Yes. it seems like ID comes up with endless "new" shows, and then tries to pigeonhole the random crimes to fit the premise/title.  Don't they realize we'll watch a decently produced show, just called "True Crime" for as many hours a day that we're able?

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

a decently produced show

*IDchannel executive pounds fist repeatedly on the table*

"Damn! you mean they expect DECENT PRODUCTION VALUES??????!!!*&*????   What the hell????"

• Love 11

I like Ice-T's show, In Ice Cold Blood, on Oxygen.  And let me mention It Takes a Killer, yet again.  

Has anyone heard any plans for the Zodiac code cracking show to come back?  I want to see them solve it.

• Love 8

I like Ice Tea's show as well, and Marsha Clark, the DA who tried the O.J. Simpson case, I am drawing a blank, she has a show on A and E called the First 48 and she goes back to famous cases.  It is wonderful. No stupid actors. The Billionaire Boys Club murder case is fantastic. Ohhhhhh I love that Zodiac code cracking show as well. I think they will get him.  They know who it is.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about Breaking Homicide last night. They did some pretty good work on the Hawaiian Strangler from the 1980's.  I wonder why the police don't check the suspect's DNA now though.  The man is dead, but, can't they resume his corpse or test his relatives to see if it was him? Didn't they save the evidence?

The hosts didn't do the photo lineup right at all though.  That lady witness's statement from the diner wasn't very credible, imo and I put no weight on it. Her reason for never reporting the man trying to get her into his van it to the police was bogus.  AND, if she was that concerned about the man, that she claims harassed her, she could could have gotten his ID information, since she worked there, either by looking at his credit card, if he paid with one or getting his license plate number as he left the place. She said he came there everyday.  I just didn't buy it.

But, the other information on the suspect they narrowed it down to seemed credible. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I saw that one about the man who claims he accidentally shot his wife in the car....so bizarre.  I can't recall if he claimed to be drinking or not.  Even drunk, that would be hard to swallow. It just goes to show how a spouse will kill you in a heartbeat.  Twenty-some years of marriage means nothing when it comes to the cash.  lol  

Was this a 48 hours or 20/20?  I didn’t catch it.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was 48 Hours, but, it might have aired on ID Discovery.  You know how they trade off on those shows. Here's a link for it.  It turns out they were married 11 years, but, still....that's brutal.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/48_hours/video/4f1feQaCqjqKagOAE_AO_4Z_oFWoBWbn/tex-mciver-describes-for-police-the-moment-he-shot-his-wife/

Thank you !  ?

“Kiss Of Death”, the marathon today, is so boring.  

I like that show, too, @ButterQueen. I caught the one about DeBardeleben this afternoon, and the clips of the recordings were....yikes. Those were utterly horrifying-and the fact they omitted the victims' responses to his taunts made it even more chilling. I feel for the investigators and jury who had to sit and listen to those recordings. Much admiration for the woman who was held captive by him, though, who steeled herself to not only listen to those recordings and relive that terror all over again in order to help identify him, but also confront him in the courtroom during his trial. That is some serious courage, right there.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I like that show, too, @ButterQueen. I caught the one about DeBardeleben this afternoon, and the clips of the recordings were....yikes. Those were utterly horrifying-and the fact they omitted the victims' responses to his taunts made it even more chilling. I feel for the investigators and jury who had to sit and listen to those recordings. Much admiration for the woman who was held captive by him, though, who steeled herself to not only listen to those recordings and relive that terror all over again in order to help identify him, but also confront him in the courtroom during his trial. That is some serious courage, right there.

Yes, that episode was terrifying.  

• Love 3

You guys, I really love that show called See No Evil as well, where they find out what happened to someone who is either murdered or missing through secret cameras which are everywhere. It's straight reporting with no actors, which is why I love it. I adore what I call my "murder" shows. They are so addicting.  No wonder I never sleep.  Oh well, I am retired and can do whatever I want!   

• Love 15

One thing that really annoys me is the repeated replaying from this recording of a killer who is whining on a 911 call where he says that, "I stabbed her 40 times."  Enough already.  If you stab someone, do you really count them one by one?  I think that recording may have originated on the show Hear No Evil.  

• Love 7

I lived in Saipan and Pohnpei for a while, and the Earhart stories/sightings were all over the place, not just Kiribati. I tend to take the path of least resistance and think her plane crashed, ocean or island, and she and Noonan died. Right?

Probably the same goes for Cooper.

In passing, I've been enjoying the podcast This Sounds Serious. It's a parody/comedy show that investigates one of the world's most fascinating 911 calls. It will sound very familiar to S-Town listeners.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Enough already.  If you stab someone, do you really count them one by one?  I think that recording may have originated on the show Hear No Evil.  

It's from Murder Calls.  It was an episode from the first season about Paul Stephani (the Weepy-Voiced Killer), but they keep playing it to advertise the new season. Yes, it's annoying.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Josette said:

It's from Murder Calls.  It was an episode from the first season about Paul Stephani (the Weepy-Voiced Killer), but they keep playing it to advertise the new season. Yes, it's annoying.

It sure is and it makes me want to avoid the show.  lol

What I find intriguing is how in many of these true life crime shows, they feature a person, sometimes teens, who suddenly go missing without any real indication that they left voluntarily.  But, when the family reports it to police, they claim the police shrugs them off, tells them it's probably nothing, not to worry, wait it out, etc.  How could police be that ignorant, especially, over the last 10 years.  They know that early searching is vital and human trafficking may also be involved.  I just don't understand.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It sure is and it makes me want to avoid the show.  lol

What I find intriguing is how in many of these true life crime shows, they feature a person, sometimes teens, who suddenly go missing without any real indication that they left voluntarily.  But, when the family reports it to police, they claim the police shrugs them off, tells them it's probably nothing, not to worry, wait it out, etc.  How could police be that ignorant, especially, over the last 10 years.  They know that early searching is vital and human trafficking may also be involved.  I just don't understand.  

I imagine most of the people do turn up within 24 hours and it probably comes down to best use of limited resources. But if it was my loved one, I would definitely want them searching right away.

• Love 5

I heard a commercial for a show that I'm pretty sure was being advertised on Investigation Discovery, but cannot find which one is telling it. If anybody has seen the episode or commercial, could you please let me know which show it is? Google isn't showing anything, but I'm certain the clip was for the Kozak trial.

Alexander Kozak killed Andrea Farrington as she was working at a mall kiosk in Iowa. I watched this trial on a livestream, discussing it with a group of friends at the time, and want to see how the show handles all the little nuances of that case. For starters, everyone was so young, She was 20 and he was 22. They both had significant others who were in their early 20s, and he had been communicating with an online friend about wanting to go shoot her. That woman was young, too. 

He was charged with premeditated murder, his attorney was trying to get the jury to return a verdict of voluntary manslaughter and to do so, had to introduce Andrea's behaviors of leading Kozak on and then reporting him to his boss (he was a security guard for the mall), claiming he made her uncomfortable, only to continue texting and flirting with him. There were plans to vacation with each other, to attend group functions as a pair, etc. The way his attorney handled it was about as tactfully as he could, which we all appreciated seeing. Unlike Jose Baez** and his ilk. There were many little things that I haven't spoiled, and it's nice to have a new case to watch.

**I had a huge rant about Baez a few days ago when my cousin was telling a friend of hers about the Aaron Hernandez trials and I told her that nothing she was saying was true, and learned her "facts" came from the four-hour special on Oxygen. It was just ridiculous what he tried to claim as facts and his interpretation of the law. I feel the need to type out a bitchfest about it, so I'll probably be back in a bit. Baez, like Nancy Grace, is an arrogant narcissist who misstates facts, misstates law, and likes to belittle other attorneys while holding himself out as a Messiah. Baez walked into that case after other attorneys did all the hard work.

Anyhoo -- if anyone sees the Kozak story I'd appreciate you letting me know what show it is on. Thanks.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

One thing that really annoys me is the repeated replaying from this recording of a killer who is whining on a 911 call where he says that, "I stabbed her 40 times."  Enough already.  If you stab someone, do you really count them one by one?  I think that recording may have originated on the show Hear No Evil.  

It's the Weepy Voice Killer.  He made calls like that after he killed his victims.  But yes, I don't need to hear it ad-nauseum.  Same with the woman on the commercial for Disappeared.  My heart breaks for her, but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard when she talks about "fanhd yur chaald".  She's half crying when she says it.  I have compassion for her, but this clip, which is on almost every commercial break, just drives me batty.

Edited by funky-rat
Spelling Counts
  • Love 5
(edited)

I've seen the previews for The Killer Beside Me.  It seems that I read a book by that title many years ago.  It was written by a lady who worked with Ted Bundy and didn't know what he was until later.  I think her name was Ann Rule. ..................................................Well, I checked and my memory isn't too bad.  The name of her book was The Stranger Beside Me.  But, it was Ann Rule and about Ted Bundy. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Ann Rule died in '15.  I'm in the middle of reading (again) her "Small Sacrifices."

OMG.  I forgot she did that one. I read that too, a long time ago. I think I read most of her books.  HORRIFIC true story.  Check out the movie afterwards.  It's pretty good.  

• Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've seen the previews for The Killer Beside Me.  It seems that I read a book by that title many years ago.  It was written by a lady who worked with Ted Bundy and didn't know what he was until later.  I think her name was Ann Rule. ...

Oh, it was even better than that.  They volunteered together at a SUICIDE HOTLINE ( where they were generally the only two people on duty and had hours and hours where they didn't get calls and just talked to each other) and she really liked him.   The Stranger Beside Me is a bona-fide true crime classic.   The other great book on Bundy is this one, which is unfortunately out of print:

https://www.amazon.com/Bundy-Deliberate-Stranger-Richard-Larsen/dp/0671630326/ref=la_B001KDBJ6K_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526761798&sr=1-1

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG.  I forgot she did that one. I read that too, a long time ago. I think I read most of her books.  HORRIFIC true story.  Check out the movie afterwards.  It's pretty good.  

I've seen it but have wanted to watch it again.  Farrah did an outstanding job in it.  Today is the anniversary of the crime - 35 years.

• Love 6
(edited)

Last night on Breaking Homicide, called The Blue Mustang, they covered the murder of Michelle O'Keefe.  This was a well known case, due to the fact that the victim, a lovely young lady/student, had been to a Kid Rock video filming, and she was shot and killed in the parking lot where she had left her blue Mustang in order to ride with a friend to the filming.  After much debate and pressure from the family, the parking lot security guard was charged, then convicted in a third trial. (Two resulted in hung jury.)  After 11 years in prison, the security guard's conviction was set aside and he was released.  To some, including the family, this was a travesty of justice.  The guys in this episode explored, why the guy was set free and what if any evidence really supported the guilt of any other suspects.   

I thought it was really good and maybe, they will get justice for Michelle. What I did like about this episode were the demonstrations on how the shooting occurred.  

What I did find odd is it seemed that Michelle stood her ground to protect the car.  That...I don't understand.  Why not let the thieves take it?  And also, in the last scenario, they didn't explain why the window was let down part way.  Why would it be that way if she had opened the door and stood outside the car? 

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/breaking-homicide/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Last night on Breaking Homicide, called The Blue Mustang, they covered the murder of Michelle O'Keefe.  This was a well known case, due to the fact that the victim, a lovely young lady/student, had been to a Kid Rock video filming, and she was shot and killed in the parking lot where she had left her blue Mustang in order to ride with a friend to the filming.  After much debate and pressure from the family, the parking lot security guard was charged, then convicted in a third trial. (Two resulted in hung jury.)  After 11 years in prison, the security guard's conviction was set aside and he was released.  To some, including the family, this was a travesty of justice.  The guys in this episode explored, why the guy was set free and what if any evidence really supported the guilt of any other suspects.   

I thought it was really good and maybe, they will get justice for Michelle. What I did like about this episode were the demonstrations on how the shooting occurred.  

What I did find odd is it seemed that Michelle stood her ground to protect the car.  That...I don't understand.  Why not let the thieves take it?  And also, in the last scenario, they didn't explain why the window was let down part way.  Why would it be that way if she had opened the door and stood outside the car? 

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/breaking-homicide/

I've been impressed with Breaking Homicide.    I was watching the Murder of Caylee Anthony on Oxygen and low and behold, I see someone who looks exactly like Derrick Levasseur in a confrontation with George Anthony on his front yard.   You may remember the protesters giving the Anthony's grief about Casey before and during the trial.    I am disappointed if it is Derrick.  It sure looks and sounds like him.   He was chest to chest with George Anthony, confronting him about standing on his property.   I googled Derrick and learned he won a season of Big Brother.    Both of these things makes me think he is more of a fame chaser than I at first thought.  I don't know why I feel this way, because I've seen Kris Mohandie on other shows and I don't have the same bad opinion of him.   I guess it will bother me more if he is the one confronting the Anthony's than the fact he was on Big Brother.   Oh well.  

Edited by SuzWhat
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, SuzWhat said:

I've been impressed with Breaking Homicide.    I was watching the Murder of Caylee Anthony on Oxygen and low and behold, I see someone who looks exactly like Derrick Levasseur in a confrontation with George Anthony on his front yard.   You may remember the protesters giving the Anthony's grief about Casey before and during the trial.    I am disappointed if it is Derrick.  It sure looks and sounds like him.   He was chest to chest with George Anthony, confronting him about standing on his property.   I googled Derrick and learned he won a season of Big Brother.    Both of these things makes me think he is more of a fame chaser than I at first thought.  I don't know why I feel this way, because I've seen Kris Mohandie on other shows and I don't have the same bad opinion of him.   I guess it will bother me more if he is the one confronting the Anthony's than the fact he was on Big Brother.   Oh well.  

I feel the same way.  Mohandie seems like a real pro.  Levasseur doesn't.  And now that I know about him confronting George Anthony AND being on BB, I just can't tolerate this show.  Also, his face creeps me out.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I feel the same way.  Mohandie seems like a real pro.  Levasseur doesn't.  And now that I know about him confronting George Anthony AND being on BB, I just can't tolerate this show.  Also, his face creeps me out.

I'm like 80% positive it was him confronting George Anthony.    It is his exact double if not him.   I'll have to check his age to see if it could have been him.   I agree about Mohandie.   He does seem professional.   

• Love 2

I've never had someone I love murdered so it's entirely possible I'm being unsympathetic and obtuse, but Michelle O'Keefe's family seem fixated on their interpretation of events. The hung juries confirm that this is one of those cases where the killer remains unclear, but the family refuses to consider any other possible scenario. It's like prosecutors who never admit they made a mistake when a prisoner is later exonerated by DNA.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

I've never had someone I love murdered so it's entirely possible I'm being unsympathetic and obtuse, but Michelle O'Keefe's family seem fixated on their interpretation of events. The hung juries confirm that this is one of those cases where the killer remains unclear, but the family refuses to consider any other possible scenario. It's like prosecutors who never admit they made a mistake when a prisoner is later exonerated by DNA.

Yeah, I think that the Breaking Homicide hosts' revelations were a hard pill to swallow for the parents.  But, they had been led to believe that the security guard did do it for years.   I actually watched a couple of specials about this case years ago.  What was so blooming annoying is the way the security guard acted, answered questions, behaved, etc. after the murder.  What appeared to be indications of guilt was actually him being ignorant, insecure and afraid of showing how incompetent he was that night. Still, I'm shocked he got his conviction overturned. It seemed like a very rare thing.  Many endure for years, when it's obvious they are innocent. This guy lucked out to get out in 11.  Some suffer from over 20. 

One thing that still gets me is the security guard downplaying the woman who left in a car that night before police arrived.  He must have been afraid of her and her friends, or he would have said, you need to park and stay, until police arrive.  I still don't believe his account of not revealing that car left immediately. 

Did anyone see Disappeared last night?  It was about a father who disappears when out partying with friends one night.  Very strange.  I thought his habit of getting drunk and swimming in the ocean ALONE at night was super bizarre. If someone will do that, then, I don't put any faith in their judgment. 

• Love 1

I've been traveling and am just now catching up on some shows on my DVR. I just had to comment on a couple that I though were weirder than weird. First, The Killer Beside Me episode where Brian Cooper killed his co-worker, Alisha Bromfield. It made absolutely no sense to me that she would skip a good friend's wedding to attend a wedding 400 miles away with an abusive supervisor -- just to keep a job at Home Depot?? I figured there had to be more to the story and there was. While she apparently complained to management about him (according to her mom), she also kept seeing him (and they dated for a while) and going to his home, and voluntarily attended the wedding. This was a tragedy, no doubt, especially since she was pregnant, but that was just a really dumb decision. And the first trial ended in a hung jury. My mouth is still hanging open. 

The second show was the See No Evil about the Rhonda Daugherty case.  He's never talked about why he killed her; it's about as random of a case as I think I've ever seen. Crazy. 

• Love 11