Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Joe’s Bar

• Start Topic

Thought it might be nice to do some introductions.

I started watching Grey's in syndication. The first episode I ever saw was actually Chyler Leigh's first on the show, and maybe for that reason, I always loved Lexie and never found her to be the intrusion that many viewers did.

At some point I skipped ahead to first-run episodes, so I've missed big chunks of story, but I feel like I've seen all of it because of reading all about it at TWoP.

My favorites are usually the characters no one else likes (see Lexie, above), although there are actually no characters right now that I just can't stand. Well, Leah, but she's leaving. And Derek when he's at the hospital.

Edited by photo fox

I started watching Grey's in the first season... then stopped for a loooong time. Then when I heard Amber Benson was going to be in an episode I decided to check it out again (big Buffy fan here) and liked it, but still didn't watch... then I heard about and watched the musical, fell in girl crush with Sara Ramirez and went back and caught up on Netflix and Hulu Plus over the course of a couple weeks and have been obsessed with the show ever since. 

I started watching the show in season two when the Izzie/Alex stuff and Izzie/Denny stuff was in it's angsty glory. I stopped watching in season three when Izzie/George took over. I watched intermittently after that and returned to full time viewing last season.

April is my favourite character which seems to be an unpopular opinion.

I can't stand Leah and have been resentful of the interns general overtaking of the show.

April is my favorite also, I don't think it's as an unpopular opinion as you think it's just the ppl that dislike April are usually pretty loud about it IMO. I've been watching since the very first ep, and every one since. :D

Edited by Thundercatmary

I like Leah, but wish she had gone batshit crazy over Alex or Arizona - that wouldv'e been better than most of the new intern/resident storylines.

I can't remember when I started watching, but it was because a bunch of us used to have a girls night on Thursdays, and we had a gap on Thursday nights when one of our shows got cancelled, so we filled it with GA. It was around the time of Finn the Vet, and Doc the dog. It quickly became my crack -especially as I needed a new hospital drama after the devastation that was the last four or five seasons of ER.

Edited by Erratic

April is my favourite character which seems to be an unpopular opinion.

I used to dislike the character, although I really like Sarah Drew as an actress, but over the past 2 seasons, she grew on me, and I really like her now. Now, Jackson, I never really warmed up to him, but mainly because Jesse Williams didn't convice me in his acting, and I felt like he was eating up some screentime I had preferred to see devoted to Alex, who I think often got the short end of the stick in the past seasons. He is featured more proeminently now that Jo is there, but I wish we had had more of him before.

I started watching when S1 was broadcasted in France, which was I guess when S3 was in the US, but caught up pretty quickly, bless the Internet.

• Love 1

I recently re-watched Seasons 1-6. I use to love Alex and Izzie together before she left him. During my re-watch after the whole cheating with Olivia I do not see how either of them are each others "soulmate". Izzie pretty much falls in love with Denny & George. The only thing i've come up with is the fact Alex and Izzie are both physically attractive. I dont think we ever really go to see them devlop as a couple. I like Alex so much better with Jo because we got to see why he likes Jo. I dont think we ever really go to see that with Izzie and vice versa.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I started watching Grey's last year after watching a few Calzona clips on youtube. After seeing the chemistry both Sara & Jess had in Season 6 I decided to go out and buy the 1-8 boxset. Loved every episode from the beginning after that lol

• Love 1

Not sure where else to post this, so here goes. I just read today, in the Washington Post, that Kate Burton (Ellis) is Richard Burton'a daughter. I had no idea, but I think it's pretty cool. (Not putting this in media thread because the article mentions Scandal but not Grey's.

another ambiguous topic that I am not sure where it should go...but looks like today is 250th episode celebration/party.  Here are some pics so far:

https://instagram.com/p/7qhZ4PGkUI/

https://instagram.com/p/7qjc5BKNx-/

https://instagram.com/p/7qlRvFPWyZ/

https://twitter.com/MollyMtbgurl

Looks like the cast is having a ton of fun with the celebrations so that's cool to see.  I like seeing casts that seem to truly like each other.

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 3

Thanks for posting the pics! Its nice to see them all looking so happy. I think its moreso for Grey's (for me) because last season they were all so miserable on screen.

Yeah, they all seem really energized and I hope that it comes through onscreen.  I am cautiously excited for this season.

Agreed. I'm really hoping the comments about it being a lighter season are accurate for the whole season. It would be great to have a sexy, fun season after many dark/depressing ones.

Congratulations to everyone there for the 250 episodes. There aren't many shows that make that milestone. Given how fragmented tv audiences are nowadays Grey's could very well be one of the last to achieve it.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

I started watching Grey's last year after watching a few Calzona clips on youtube. After seeing the chemistry both Sara & Jess had in Season 6 I decided to go out and buy the 1-8 boxset. Loved every episode from the beginning after that lol

euniit- I love it too. My Daughter gave me the first three seasons on DVD about five years ago and I was hooked! I forgot the new season starts this week until I saw a preview yesterday. So excited!

Edited by freeradical

I've had the soundtrack of the "musical" episode playing in my head for ~24 hours now. I don't own it, haven't seen the episode since Lifetime last ran it. And yet, there it is.

If you hear of a middle-aged woman in a flyover state going stark-raving mad and doing - I don't know what - you'll know my motivation.

:)

• Love 2

I know that the actors probably love getting a full-time paycheck when they're only part-time in episodes, but as a viewer it's really frustrating. This cast is way too bloated. When characters and storylines get dropped for 2-3 (or more) episodes at a time, I stop caring. By the time it gets picked back up again I've already forgotten what was going on and I'm just not interested anymore. They've got at least 15 leads and I could maybe name two-thirds of them and I care about maybe one third. I've been watching every week and I couldn't even tell you what exactly is the current plot with half the characters.

Apologies if "Small Talk" is not the right spot for this rant! Just wasn't sure where it went and needed to get it off my chest!

• Love 1

While long winter breaks may give the return a ratings bump, my emotional investment diminishes with the more time that passes, as narrative momentum is broken. An anticipated four month break over the summer is one thing -- a two month break two months later is another. I'd rather have one single six month hiatus (or a regular four month summer break and a week off every two months) instead of a second elongated hiatus. I care less now than I did in November. 

Edited by upperco
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm surprised they use actual medical terms but glad they do, it makes the show seem more realistic. I just watched an episode of untold er stories on Netflix, in the er the drs were shouting to do thiss or that and administer this or that and it wounded just like the dr's on greys, impressive and another reason I love greys.

Edited by skermac
(edited)
3 hours ago, skermac said:

I'm surprised they use actual medical terms but glad they do, it makes the show seem more realistic. I just watched an episode of untold er stories on Netflix, in the er the drs were shouting to do thiss or that and administer this or that and it wounded just like the dr's on greys, impressive and another reason I love greys.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?   

Edited by Jacks-Son
Typo

after putting it off for a while, I watched season one epi one on netflex and was hooked from the start I watch an episode or 2 almost every day, usually every day. almost to season 9, I love this show but it has caused me a lot of heartache, I choke up almost every episode but it is a drama I finally realize. I loved when George and Izzie were together, I kept hoping they would work out things, but no, now everytime I go to my dr's office I half expect to see Dr Yang or one of the others come walking in.

2 hours ago, doLLish said:

They made military life and surgery in those conditions look SO interesting. If I'm not mistaken, a show like that hasn't been done before. If anyone knows if it has, please let me know so I can watch it.

It has been done before.  Have you seen old episodes of M*A*S*H.?  

• Love 2

If they had a military spin-off of Grey's Anatomy, I imagine it would be more like Army Wives than M*A*S*H.  AW was more of a prime-time soap opera like GA.  That said, AW didn't really include the medical staff aspect, although they had one Army nurse towards the end of the show.  M*A*S*H wasn't soapy enough.  ;) 

China Beach (1988 - 1991), produced by John Wells (ER, last three seasons of The West Wing), set in an evacuation hospital in Viet Nam, and told from the perspective of the American women on site.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

China Beach (1988 - 1991), produced by John Wells (ER, last three seasons of The West Wing), set in an evacuation hospital in Viet Nam, and told from the perspective of the American women on site.

Yes, that's a good one if you're looking for something more serious than M*A*S*H.

I first saw Grey's when I was doing laundry. In my country it's called "Surgeons" and I remember I was like "why they have teenagers doing surgeries?" because of the voices they used. I forgot about Grey's for a while and then started watching online, in English and have been hooked up ever since :)
I loved Addison and Lexie

• Love 1
On 02.11.2017 at 6:14 PM, mummy said:

Grey's Anatomy is one of my favorite TV shows. I'm looking for some kind of similar TV series. Can you refer movies like Grey's Anatomy?

I really love Grey's Anatomy too! I can advise you to look at the site http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413573/?ref_=nv_sr_1 You will find a similar series. Maybe...

or  look at the site https://bestsimilar.com/movies/14460-greys-anatomy

Edited by rozarina

I rewatched a Friends episode today where Ellen Pompeo plays a woman who both Ross and Chandler had a crush on in college. It was a S10 episode, so a year before Grey's premiered. Ellen didn't have many lines, but to me it looked like she has comedic talent, and she looked so beautiful smiling and laughing. Too bad Grey's is all about dark and twisty Meredith and we never get to see a lighter side.

• Love 1

So bummed there was no Grey's on tonight! But did get a nice trip watching (speaking of the devil a few posts back) David Schwimmer on an episode of Will and Grace. Would have been better to see him with Jen again but whatever. Getting back to Grey's but keeping in tune of FRIENDS, Ellen certainly did look better in that guest star role on the show! She has(had?) such a wonderful smile and her eyes sparkled.

Edited by JNM5505
  • Love 1