Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Weekly Willises

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I thought it was interesting how in her talking head, the older, dark haired girl seemed to snark a bit on the idea of courting, etc. "We're not one of those WEIRD huge families..." seemed to be the not-so-subtle message. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I really enjoyed the first episode.  It was a good "getting-to-know-them" hour.  I know it will be difficult to NOT compare them to the Duggar family, but I am going to try. 

I liked both parents as much as the children.  They all seemed to be well-rounded individuals with a lot of differing interests, then coming together musically.  

Looks like next week begins a courting phase for one of the older boys.  Should be interesting, depending on how much they allow to be filmed.  

I also liked that some of the kids names aren't typical J's : Jedi is my favorite for some strange reason!  

Edited by leighdear

I watched part of the first episode.  I intend to watch all of it and really give a fair shot.  For some reason, I was just getting too much sweetness.  It seemed like too much of how perfect they are.  I'm so over that.  And then top it off with how they home school. (Yes, I know not all home schooling is bad.) I guess it just causes me pause when I see adult children so connected to siblings and not moving on in life.  Maybe, they have a great thing together. Family is very important.  I won't argue with that.  I'I'll watch more before forming my opinion.  

I was impressed that they dance and seem to appreciate many genres of music.  

• Love 3

I don't watch AGT so I'm just finding out about this family.   Interesting first episode that was very well done by TLC standards.  They certainly all appear very likable and talented - almost too perfect.   I'm familiar with the Irish dance world and when digging for Willis Family information, I was surprised to see how far they had progressed in competitive ID.  There's a lot of work involved in reaching that level.  

I'm intrigued and will continue to watch.  

• Love 1

I don't watch AGT so I'm just finding out about this family. Interesting first episode that was very well done by TLC standards. They certainly all appear very likable and talented - almost too perfect. I'm familiar with the Irish dance world and when digging for Willis Family information, I was surprised to see how far they had progressed in competitive ID. There's a lot of work involved in reaching that level.

I'm intrigued and will continue to watch.

What is AGT?

I also liked that some of the kids names aren't typical J's : Jedi is my favorite for some strange reason!

Although, I'm pretty sure his full name is Jedidiah. But I definitely think that's a fun twist on a nickname, compared to "Jed". 

• Love 2
(edited)

You know, I couldn't help but give a side eye to the Duggars, when Mom Willis was talking about their "boring" fundie friendly wedding, with no music or dancing, and if she had to do it all over again, there would be LOTS of music, dancing and fun. Amen.

Is there a Willis son that can go rescue Jinger or Jana? Maybe introduce them to FUN?

And I did notice that Joy Willis is actually Joy Anna, just like you-know-who. 

It's just impossible not to compare the two families/shows. They're on the same night and they both do the J-name thing. The Willis' have some cooler J names, though. Jada is cute. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7

I remember this family from AGT.  I just saw the premier episode on my DVR and I think it's really cute--much better than the Duggars. The kids and parents don't have that vacant stare and forced smile.  

They have a very interesting but sad back story--the dad losing several siblings in a car fire and then their own home being destroyed by fire.

I'm intrigued enough to watch the second episode.   

• Love 1

It was just an ok show.  Nothing engaging about this family.  I was especially annoyed with dark-haired girl (Jennifer?) who seemed to enjoy talking and talking and talking.  In one of her TH she started to say something about homeschooling and then said something to the effect that she didn't want them to sound stuck up.

And another large family who only gets together with other large families every once in awhile.  Ugh.  TLC needs to come up with new ideas.

• Love 2

Well, I like this family!  In the mom's TH's, she doesn't talk down to us like we're three years old and her voice doesn't make my ears bleed (like someone else we all know).  Also, the kids are well-rounded with more interesting things to talk about than modesty, pregnancies and scripture, and it looks like they get to pick their own relationships!  If I'm going to watch a large family, I'd much rather watch this group singing, dancing, wrestling, writing songs, etc., than that tribe who will be having at least two gender reveal episodes and two pregnancies per year now that three of them are married and another will be joining them in the near future.   

• Love 5
(edited)

While I am happy to see the kids are not robotic Duggars I still can't get over the college educated parents deciding the kids would not go to college? Pam saying that her college education helped her educate her kids but they can't go to college. While they seem be talented , how can anyone decide not one of the 12 might want something different or an education?

I also think the romantic concept on the large family is being thrown at us once again. Lets forget about all the kids really being happy in these large families (my husband came from a mega family and it isn't all sunshine). Most women just can't have over 10 kids. I live in old school southern Utah where many women still try for large families but it seems like very few can ever have over 10. Most have emergencies or complications by baby 6-8 that stop future pregnancies.  I wish these large family shows would tell the truth of the risks. Kelly Bates had heart failure after baby 15 or 16 but kept on going. Pan Willis had her uterus rupture (or so she claims) during a home birth with number #11 but got pregnant with #12 a few weeks later! 

Unlike when we met the Duggars for the first time as a family that was debt free (but struggling to live much above poverty level), we are meeting the Willis clan as multi millionaires already. So it makes me wonder, why do a show? They have enough money for the rest of their lives, so it must be the same answer as the Duggars, some sort of ministry.

Edited by silverspoons

Yea, I didn't get the impression that these people are rich. They're renting because they haven't been able to afford to rebuild on their property where the house burned down. 

Also, did they actually say the kids CAN'T go to college? I must have missed that. I'll admit I was struggling to stay awake last night, so I really might have. 

I do like this family. I appreciate that the parents are in there doing the actual schooling, both mom and dad. I liked mom's reasoning for schooling - so the kids can go at their individual paces. That's the main reason I homeschool. I loved seeing all the bookshelves full of books, and the kids are clearly being exposed to all forms of art, whether it's music, dance, painting, etc. 

I adore the interviews with the three younger girls. One will answer and the others will just giggle hysterically. So cute!

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't watch the Duggars but these people seem ... unobjectionable. They're certainly good looking, although I wish Brenda would comb her danged hair before doing her interviews. Cutting a few inches off wouldn't hurt, either.

I'm not at all familiar with the Opry other than knowing what it is and the long tradition of live country music, so I wonder how they reacted to the comments about the Willises not being country artists. Nope! No way!

Whichever child said grocery shopping wasn't a big deal -- yes it is. The rest of us cannot fathom doing that every week. I would like to see their recipe for taco salad, because really? I know from reading TWoP that the Duggars are big on tater tot casserole.

Edited by lordonia
Whichever child said grocery shopping wasn't a big deal -- yes it is. The rest of us cannot fathom doing that every week.

I have a family of 5, and we live out in the country so I do a big 2 week stock-up when I get into town. I'm pushing one cart and pulling another by the end. It's exhausting. So yea, I cannot imagine shopping for 12! But maybe several of them go and do it together? Maybe they have a system and are able to knock it out pretty quickly? 

The dad seems pretty controlling, and the oldest daughter's singing voice is hard for me to listen to -- she's pretty shrill. But there's a lot to like here, especially when one compares the Willises with that other famous J-naming family.

• They're proof you can be Christian -- conservative Christian, even -- without being crazy.
  • Homeschooling can work just fine if parents truly teach their kids (using materials other than Wisdom Booklets).
  • Women and girls can wear jeans and still dress tastefully and modestly.
  • It's possible for parents, even in a very large family, to know all their children's personalities, strengths, likes and dislikes.
  • Knowing something about pop culture (The Jackson 5!) won't necessarily consign you to the depths of hell.

I don't find the show fascinating, but it's a nice contrast.

• Love 3

I just was looking on their website.  All of the boys have Scott as their middle name, I wonder why?  Maybe that is Brenda's maiden name.

Jeanette is the quiet one that I noticed on the show. Her nickname is Jet.  That is cute!

• Love 1
All of the boys have Scott as their middle name, I wonder why?  Maybe that is Brenda's maiden name.

I saw that too.  Weird.  I even went and tried to find Toby's middle name (wasn't there) and Brenda's maiden name wasn't either.

Pan Willis had her uterus rupture (or so she claims) during a home birth with number #11 but got pregnant with #12 a few weeks later!

Who is Pam (I'm assuming) Willis? Did you mean Brenda, or is that one of Toby's sisters-in-law?

Something else I saw on their site, Jett (Jeanette)  I love their nicknames!! has one arm that was paralyzed at birth. She has some movement in it now, and can dance and play her instruments, and it says "most people don't notice". I certainly didn't!.

The dad seems pretty controlling, and the oldest daughter's singing voice is hard for me to listen to -- she's pretty shrill. But there's a lot to like here, especially when one compares the Willises with that other famous J-naming family.

• They're proof you can be Christian -- conservative Christian, even -- without being crazy.
  • Homeschooling can work just fine if parents truly teach their kids (using materials other than Wisdom Booklets).
  • Women and girls can wear jeans and still dress tastefully and modestly.
  • It's possible for parents, even in a very large family, to know all their children's personalities, strengths, likes and dislikes.
  • Knowing something about pop culture (The Jackson 5!) won't necessarily consign you to the depths of hell.

I got a funny vibe from the dad when one of the daughter's forgot her stage outfit at home. He said he should make her buy one that was too small to teach her a lesson. If you are going to out money out, why buy something too small. I got a glint of anger and temper from that comment.

But have to say, I do enjoy the show. I think they are currently making a small amount of money for their gigs. But now they have a TLC contract and we will most likely be seeing their custom built home with local Tennessee advertisers very soon.

Those kids are all VERY fit. I am all into fitness but I have a feeling their physical education is very much mandatory.

(edited)

I just stumbled onto this little gem the other day when TLC was having a mini-marathon of it.

I'm in.  In for a penny, in for a pound.

So far only one thing I tend to want to scream bullshit on...The parental units claiming they didn't plan to name all of their offspring with "J" names and that it just happened.  

Not buying that.  Just admit you thought it was cute and own it, parents.  When little things like this don't make sense, I tend to side eye a lot of the other information that emerges when your lips are moving.

Maybe it's just me, but I have concerns about broods that are this large and home-schooled their entire academic careers.

As well adapted as they appear to be, are children in these types of atmospheres even properly socialized in the general public?

While there's a sports team's worth of siblings here to keep one another entertained, is it really normal to not have any interests outside of the family compound?  Do they ever get to go out and socialize much with peers?  Hopefully my questions will be answered in upcoming episodes.  I assume at least the son who is proposing in the next episode must have been doing something social to have met his girlfriend, unless the meeting was orchestrated by the parents.  

Curiously, I know a family (although a bit smaller) who live a similar lifestyle.  While they're all now middle-aged, they are so completely and totally dependent on one another and overly enmeshed in each other's lives that it makes for some very disconcerting family dynamics.  Even though well beyond their formative years, none of the siblings ever developed any meaningful relationships outside of their own, and even several of the spouses, after many years of marriage, still feel as if they are a third wheel and not part of the "inner circle."  Weird.

Maybe because I come from a smaller (and rather dysfunctional) family, I just have a hard time believing that one can be fulfilled when only having one's own siblings as a social outlet.  Just seems a tad abnormal to me.  But then I'm abnormal, so there's that.

These people are coming across as reasonably  "normal" in these initial episodes but, knowing how TLC operates, I anticipate seeing cracks in the one big happy family facade and perhaps a higher level of dysfunction being exposed later on in the season.  

If it isn't a trainwreck on some level, TLC doesn't usually keep it on the air.  Unless the "reality" trainwreck becomes so dark and ugly that no one wants to touch it (see Honey Boo Boo).  

As an aside, I found myself wondering if a hot-shot big-name agent approached the oldest girl (the lead vocalist) and offered to make her the next Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, would she still be as bound to the family band concept or would she seize the opportunity to strike out on her own.  

I also kept obsessing about just precisely what about this lovely girl kept reminding me of Leah from Teen Mom 2.  Never could put my finger on it, though.

A bit off topic, but regarding the Willis family van accident....

OMFG...I can't even begin to imagine living with that.  When I first started reading an in-depth article shortly after the accident occurred, thoughts of how I probably would have leaped from a high-rise rooftop had I lost all of my children in one fell cruel swoop of fate filled my mind.  

I then read where they had 3 remaining children who weren't in the vehicle.  

I don't even begin to want to put myself in their shoes or imagine the absolute devastation of that wreck, but I'm assuming having 3 remaining children to go on for must have been what kept those people sane.  

Mad respect for that couple.  Even with 3 children surviving, I'm not sure I could have come out of that with any semblance of sanity or will to live.  The survivor's guilt (even though these parents certainly had no culpability in their children's horrific deaths) and grief I've no doubt would have destroyed me.  

In any event, I'll definitely keep tuning in.

Okay, I'm done prattling on about this little gem...time to get another cup of coffee and settle in for some more reading of my fellow PTV'ers astute and insightful posts.

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 3

I'm going to go on record saying I don't like them. There is something fake about them that makes me think they have secrets. I've read elsewhere that the dad is very controlling, ala Joe Darger. Their loud, always ON personas bring Amy Duggar to mind. Mark my words, we don't know the whole story with this clan.

I also think Mary is making a mistake to marry that boy. He needs to get his issues settled before dragging her into it. I think she's at that age where she thinks she can save him.

• Love 1

All Mary has to do is look at the Josh Duggar situation and thank her lucky stars for Toby & Brenda as future In Laws.  Though I would hope this also makes her dad think VERY hard about what he knows about the Willis clan.

• Love 1

While I'm far from being a word culture expert, I think that what this show models would not be seen as odd at all in many other cultures.  It seems to be somewhat American for close-knit, large families to be an anomaly.  I think it's good.

My sense is that a lot of these episodes are showing the family when there "on" as opposed to being a typical "day in the life of".  I would imagine that the pilot and the first few episodes were filmed close together, so they're trying to be interesting.  I think that this show is a contemporary reality-show version of shows like the Partridge Family or variety shows that used to feature groups like the Jackson Five.  Every week we're going to get a music-video type performance, a few different songs being sung informally, and then filler about the family.  If this group really wants to make "the big time," this show could be the perfect vehicle.  They are obviously going to put everything into it.  Case in point...maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine any of those guys spend as much time as the TV show seems to convey posing in front of the mirror with their shirts off.  They're doing that for the audience.  I think they know exactly what they're doing, and at least so far I'm fine with it.

• Love 1
(edited)

If 19 kids is any indicator, the film crew usually spends about 3 days per week filming the family.  There's some type of "theme" for the episode that the footage is edited around it.

One thing very different is that this family has a very busy touring schedule that has to be worked around.  Where I think TLC came up with events & trips for the Duggars to participate in, I think the Willis clan has enough travelling and activities on their own so that the film crew basically goes along for the ride. 

The large, multi-generational family units living together or very close IS much more prevalent outside the US.  I've lived in Europe and Asia, and it's very common. We know some of the terrible history of Toby's family but I don't remember hearing about Brenda's or where they live. Not in Nashville, for certain.   

Edited by leighdear

Knowing something about pop culture (The Jackson 5!) won't necessarily consign you to the depths of hell.

We need a little more snark here....their "rendition" of the Jackson 5's ABC was terrible...someone needs to let them know not to remake Motown tunes...no one should.

The vintagey look of a dress with denim vest/jacket & cowboy boots is so 2012.

Otherwise I am enjoying the show.

• Love 2

If 19 kids is any indicator, the film crew usually spends about 3 days per week filming the family.  There's some type of "theme" for the episode that the footage is edited around it.

One thing very different is that this family has a very busy touring schedule that has to be worked around.  Where I think TLC came up with events & trips for the Duggars to participate in, I think the Willis clan has enough travelling and activities on their own so that the film crew basically goes along for the ride. 

The large, multi-generational family units living together or very close IS much more prevalent outside the US.  I've lived in Europe and Asia, and it's very common. We know some of the terrible history of Toby's family but I don't remember hearing about Brenda's or where they live. Not in Nashville, for certain.   

According to Facebook, they're currently in Ireland right now. I wonder if that has to do with bookings or TLC. 

(edited)

They started touring right after "America's Got Talent", so I don't think TLC has anything to do with those bookings.  I think Brenda & Toby do all the work finding them gigs.

Honestly though, I'm so disgusted with TLC right now, I don't want to give them credit for anything they may have done.  But I believe the musical tour dates and bookings come from outside the network. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

DIdn't see a media thread, so posting this here:

Reality television and music stars The Willis Clan will perform January 19-22 at Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant in Disney Springs. The Nashville-based band includes the 12 Willis children ages 5 through 23, plus their mom, Brenda, and dad, Toby. The family has been featured in People magazine, on NBC's Today Show, and on "America's Got Talent." The second season of their reality TV series, TLC's "The Willis Family," is scheduled to air Spring 2016. During their Raglan Road appearance on the patio stage, The Willis Clan will perform several sets nightly from 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. January 19 and 20, and from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. January 21 and 22, 2016. There is no cover charge at the pub, which will feature popular dinner and bar menu items, seasonal local dishes and an extensive menu of specialty cocktails throughout the performances.

I love Raglan Road, so if you're at Disney, I recommend it.

• Love 1

New season! Same wholesome, slow moving show. Kids don't even seem to have grown that much.

Hypocritically, I would trap mice in my own house but kind of wanted the Willises to catch and release.

• Love 1

I caught a part where I think Jen was crying and I think she said something like "they think I want to take over" or something like that, but did they ever address that or did I miss something. 

That was it. I guess it was just to allude to the friction that comes up at times. The show ended up spending more time blathering on about the logistics of building their danged house than it did about anything band related. And yes, perhaps the female children will end up living elsewhere with their eventual husbands but not any more so than the males. "It will be my husband's decision what I do with my life." Pfft.

I'm kind of fascinated by Toby's hair. Is he going bald on top or does he shave the middle and just cultivate the spiky bits around the edges? Also, we can all see he has dad bod. Get the shoulder surgery or not, but I hope it's not going to be a plot point that we have to hear about any more. His wife still thinks he's hot, so whatever.

Something still seems a bit off to me about Jair and Mary's breakup. I know she didn't want to go on tour with the Willises and leave her own family's band, but there seems to be some unwarranted antagonism.

Edited by lordonia

I go back and forth between thinking they are a really nice and obliviously multitalented family and creepy. The creepy part comes from shots of the adult blond girls looking so much like their mother being paired up with brothers that look like their father. I can't imagine what the grief and sadness in their history have done to them. Jair is the only one I don't care for but hopefully he'll grow out of the cockiness.

• Love 1

Jair is my least favorite too...he admits he has tremendous highs and lows and to me that is manic depressive and he should be on meds.  He comes across very headstrong and I bet he acts/speaks before he thinks.  More to the story with Mary that is for sure, he was wearing his heart on his sleeve and by what he told us he chose the family band over her, end of so yeah I can imagine her feelings hurt if that is the truth.

The girls and mom go running to Dad when mice are rampant in the house and he basically scolds them?  His hair style is called a flat top right out of the 50's same as his old school treatment of women living with vermin and dirt.  GMAB.   

If they are renting that property why are they planning on building on it?  

If the girls can't keep their hair blonde without massive roots then go back to the natural color which looks beautiful on the one who has it!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

I didn't think Toby was scolding about the mice. Brenda seemed like she was going into a spin, being upset about it (I get the same way about certain things) and I thought he was just trying to say, Hey, it's done; stop stressing. He may have been clunky but I thought he meant well.

I also thought, Get a cat. And, how do they keep mice AND SNAKES away when they're home? Aren't there venomous snakes in TN? I live in western Washington where snakes cannot kill you so I am not overly bothered by them. But possible venomous snakes in drawers??whoa!

It's interesting to me that Toby talks about raising the girls to follow their future husbands' leads (cut to Jet saying that where she lives when married will be a joint decision) but seems to equally value the input from all the kids. Actually it's interesting for a patriarchal type to consult the family at all.

And the girls seemed by far the most interested in future plans. Jessica talked right over him when expressing her thoughts on future development and HER money. None of the women or girls seem simpering or subservient. Brenda may look at Toby when he speaks, but it's in a normal, eye-contact way and not like you-know-who.

In short, I am kind of digging the Anti-Duggars. I hope it lasts. These people seem happy; I hope there's nothing perking under the surface.

• Love 2

^^ I hope there's nothing perking under the surface too. I think any off feelings I get have to do with their sad history and hopefully nothing else. TLC doesn't have a great track record with their families.

• Love 1

^^ I hope there's nothing perking under the surface too. I think any off feelings I get have to do with their sad history and hopefully nothing else. TLC doesn't have a great track record with their families.

Crossing fingers. The Little Couple seems to be hanging in, despite medical issues. I enjoy watching normal people like them and, I hope, the Willises.

• Love 3

This first new episode was interesting in that it put some less-than-perfect images out there.  From the way the house was left in in a state of disarray when they went on tour, the vermin, mom getting upset, revisiting Jair's breakup...  The show had an odd feel to it, like they weren't quite ready to start filming and threw some stuff together.  Giving so much time to the Jair/Mary thing was weird.  Is she going to show up again or did they just need to fill up the hour?  

• Love 2

I suspect what happened with Jair and Mary is that the family's concert career took off and she wasn't willing to tour with them and wasn't willing to sit at home for 10 months with no contact with Jair.

Not everyone is cut out to be a band widow and I can understand that.  I'm on the road as much as 48 weeks a year and it takes a special kind of person to accept that I'm not home except on weeks 75% of the time.

• Love 2

I felt bad for the younger kids when Jessica mentioned that they are renting a house that is empty 9 months out of the year.  When they had an episode last season where they visited my hometown I looked at their tour schedule and it was jammed packed.  Looking at it now it's still quite demanding. While the younger kids are starting to play different instruments in the band they are spending the majority of the year in a bus and hotel rooms while their older siblings and parents follow a dream/career.  They are getting a unique experience for sure but when Toby was talking about creating plots on the land they own he mentioned the older kids could sell their land to their younger siblings later if they didn't want it.  With 150 (??) acres I'd think he could set plots up for all his kids but it sounded like just the older kids would get a plot.  That made me a little sad for the younger ones. 

I do like this family but last season I figured between the accident and the fire they were well off financially. This summer I watched the episodes of the show they had on GAC on youtube and after watching this episode I'm starting to think that the accident and fire insurance money (if the house was insured, which it might not have been) was put into the band (and a wrestling venture Toby tried around the time of the fire) so now that rebuilding the house comes up Toby needs the older kids to funnel some of their money to make it possible.  I absolutely could be completely off and I hope I am.

• Love 1
If they are renting that property why are they planning on building on it?

They have their own piece of land that the house burned on that they want to rebuild on. Several minutes down the road from the rental. They keep the horses on their property, not the rental.

• Love 1

it is nice to see the adult children treated like adults.  Dad wasn't forcing them into any immediate decisions based on what he thought.  It was also apparent they all have independent money from their split of the band money, show, albums, etc.  and aren't dependent on the parents.  

• Love 1

I felt bad for the younger kids when Jessica mentioned that they are renting a house that is empty 9 months out of the year.  When they had an episode last season where they visited my hometown I looked at their tour schedule and it was jammed packed.  Looking at it now it's still quite demanding. While the younger kids are starting to play different instruments in the band they are spending the majority of the year in a bus and hotel rooms while their older siblings and parents follow a dream/career.  They are getting a unique experience for sure but when Toby was talking about creating plots on the land they own he mentioned the older kids could sell their land to their younger siblings later if they didn't want it.  With 150 (??) acres I'd think he could set plots up for all his kids but it sounded like just the older kids would get a plot.  That made me a little sad for the younger ones. 

I took it a little different, I thought they were all getting a plot but if they chose to not use it they could sell it to one of their siblings that may want extra land. Yeah that's enough land that they won't have a close neighbor, plenty for everyone.

• Love 2

I took it a little different, I thought they were all getting a plot but if they chose to not use it they could sell it to one of their siblings that may want extra land. Yeah that's enough land that they won't have a close neighbor, plenty for everyone.

That would make a little more sense.  Since he was just talking to the oldest ones I couldn't figure out with that much land why there wasn't enough for everyone.

Regarding the sons' middle name - Toby's dad is Scott Willis (although his first name is really Duane but he's always gone by Scott). Also, the 6 kids who passed away in the van accident were Ben, Joe, San, Hank, Elizabeth and Pete. Brenda was pregnant with Jenny at the time, who was given "Elizabeth" as her middle name. 

The elder Willises received a $100 million dollar settlement from the state of Illinois for the accident (as they should have - it was the result of the license for bribes scandal that sent former Gov. George Ryan to jail). They gave some of the money to each of their surviving adult children, so that is why Toby was able to "retire" and manage his kids' music career etc. 

In this most recent episode, I found it so strange that Brenda & Toby had to have a "talk" with Jair and Jenny about behaving on their trip. It sounded like something you'd say to high school students going on a class trip, not grown children. I think you can see the effects of not going to college - there's some maturity lacking. I'm a homeschooler, so I have no problem with that part, but my kids are definitely going to college!

• Love 1

I homeschool as well, and my kids can go to college if they want to. They can also choose to pursue other areas, if college isn't for them. College isn't for everyone, and at least with this family I don't get the impression that it's frowned upon. Also, just from life experience, I am not convinced that college fixes maturity issues, but MMV. 

I liked the focus on Jennifer and Jet in the latest episode.  Last year it seemed like Jessica was on camera more and I don't remember seeing much of Jet.  I also enjoyed seeing the three away from the family in Raleigh.  Jair is so much like his dad - the same intensity. 

• Love 1

I'd like to see more of their dancing, if they haven't dropped that. I suppose it doesn't sell records.

I'd like to see more dancing, too.  They're still doing the dancing bit on their tours but I wonder if they have the time now to do the intense training and competitions that they were doing before.  I'm curious if the younger ones will eventually show up on the Irish and WCS circuits like their older siblings.