Type keyword(s) to search

Donuts: Do you have a favorite?

• Start Topic

I love to dip bacon in syrup -- the wonderful combination of sweet and salty!  I haven't seen maple bacon doughnuts in my area, although I've seen caramels with bacon and fudge with bacon.  I guess bacon is the trendy thing now.

I'm with those who stick with genuine maple syrup.  It's worth the extra expense. (Also, from what I hear, it's healthier than the imitation stuff.)

• Love 3

I like yeast doughnuts. Never cared for the cake variety.

There is a place here called Daylight Doughnuts and theirs are so good! I like chocolate covered Bavarian Cream ( more like pudding instead of white creme) inside. I've learned through the years that's akin to saying I like Miracle Whip (which I do). So I confess to you dear strangers, give me that and I'm in ectasy.

• Love 2

I love this one local family own place. They only serve fresh homemade doughnuts. They are the kind of place that sells out every night and has people rushing to make it before they close.

My favorite are their chocolate or glazed doughnut rings. They have great cream filled ones but they are like 5 pounds each and a bit much for one person. So maybe if you split one of those.

• Love 1

Did anyone here attempt to take part in Krispy Kreme's special today where if you buy a dozen you get a second dozen for .80?  I don't have one nearby, so I didn't try to go, but I saw that our local TV station was posting live video of the traffic jam near one of the local Krispy Kreme places.  Cars were lined up for blocks waiting to get into the parking lot and there were reports of at least one accident.  I like their donuts, but that's crazy!  The last time they had a BOGO deal, I went at lunchtime so I could bring back snacks for afternoon break at work and there were only about three people waiting at the counter.  I waited about 10 minutes, but only because if we waited we could get hot donuts right off the line.  A friend reported on FB that at lunchtime, there was still a line of cars waiting.  

I don't understand the fascination with Krispy Kreme, but I'm not a donut fanatic.

To the topic question, I like old-fashioned. I prefer original, but I'm happy to eat glazed and maple; chocolate being my least favorite version.

• Love 1

I don't like glazed or filled donuts, but I'll eat a cinnamon crumb cake. My other favorite is old fashioned; I like 'em dense.

Might as well just have a cupcake, except those aren't fried!

donut.JPG

• Love 1

Not very high brow, but I enjoyed some Entenmann's popettes  chocolate frosted donuts last night.  I only had two, but I could have eated the whole box.

• Love 1

French crullers all the way!

I also enjoyed a simple glazed cronut when DD had it. They later made it chocolate stuffed and i didn't like it...

I like my donuts very lightly sweet. all the fillers bring the sweetness to the point of me almost spitting them out, a lot of icings too.

• Love 2
On 7/15/2017 at 5:19 PM, vavera4ka said:

French crullers all the way!

I also enjoyed a simple glazed cronut when DD had it. They later made it chocolate stuffed and i didn't like it...

I like my donuts very lightly sweet. all the fillers bring the sweetness to the point of me almost spitting them out, a lot of icings too.

DD's simple glazed cronut for me. 

T.Ho's donuts are mass produced in a factory, flash frozen, and shipped across the country.  They are an abomination.  And don't get me started on the swill they call coffee.   

• Love 1

I'm not a big donut fan but I do like their bagels, also if pressed I Will take their honey cruller, the coffee wasn't hot but since they've started a dark roast line it's tolerable,

But I do know lots of ppl who love their Timmy's. We don't have a Krispy Kreme in my town so I can't compare. Also Robin's donuts is nothing to write home about.

Edited by Lyanna19
Spelling correction

Canadians have a strange addiction to the coffee (I swear there is nicotine in it).  They walk around with a cup attached to their hand as if it had a nipple. I think it tastes like battery acid, and would rather have a caffeine withdrawal headache than drink it.   And their bagels, like their donuts, are mass produced and frozen.   Have you ever tried one without toasting it and slathering on cream cheese to hide the taste?

Tim Horton's has somehow convinced Canadians that it part of the Canadian culture and the nostalgia factor is strong when in reality it's a bad Canadian business that's not even Canadian owned anymore. Back in the 80s and 90s, they made things in house including the donuts and they were decent. Nowadays, everything is frozen and defrosted in store. Tim Horton's changed their coffee supplier in the last 5 years and went cheaper. I believe McDonald's McCafe bought the supplier now and people who prefer the original TH coffee go there.

The chain is a staple in many Canadian small towns, but the cheap prices come at a cost.

I do not like the chain and it has bad coffee, food, and business practices especially in terms of labour.

My dad loves McDonald's coffee, says it beats Tim Hortons by a mile, not so sure that what you're saying about TH is all true but not gonna argue, I do remember years ago I did like the donuts allot more than I do now, but I don't eat that many carbs anyhow so....

10 hours ago, Quof said:

Canadians have a strange addiction to the coffee (I swear there is nicotine in it).  They walk around with a cup attached to their hand as if it had a nipple. I think it tastes like battery acid, and would rather have a caffeine withdrawal headache than drink it.   And their bagels, like their donuts, are mass produced and frozen.   Have you ever tried one without toasting it and slathering on cream cheese to hide the taste?

I always get my bagel toasted and t prefer butter over cream cheese. I also think the great Canadian bagel is better, but all of these places don't make bagels as they should be made, all they do is mix them and bake them. The original and true bagel is boiled ( not steamed) and then baked, the first thing I'm gonna do when I ever get to New York, is look up the original boiled bagel. ?

A true bagel should not be toasted, it should be warm and fresh from the oven so the cream cheese begins to melt into it.  Made fresh all day long in a New York bagel bakery, or, barring that, in Montreal.  My favourite bagel shop in NYC doesn't have a toaster.   

• Love 3

They are doing wonderful things with donuts these days. I have cut way down on sugar (carbs) so I have to limit and time eating them. Like not this month so much as for Thanksgiving I've had the lemon cheese pie with whipped cream. But I am determined to get:

The donut burger from the down the street

The donut ice cream from the same place

a cream cheese–filled, caramel-dripped, fritter doughnut with coconut bacon and cayenne from Donut Friend

Blueberry bourbon from Bluestar

Country ham and egg from Sidecar

11 hours ago, Quof said:

A true bagel should not be toasted, it should be warm and fresh from the oven so the cream cheese begins to melt into it.  Made fresh all day long in a New York bagel bakery, or, barring that, in Montreal.  My favourite bagel shop in NYC doesn't have a toaster.   

I used to get them like that in a shop in Suffern, NY. It was, and still is, a great shop that somehow did enough business to frequently have something right out of the oven when I would walk in there. (I've got a full blown Homer Simpson Mmm... bagels going on in my head right now.)

• Love 2

I was told bagels should be grilled, never toasted. If they're getting stale, I nuke 'em in a damp paper towel for a few seconds.

As for doughnuts, it's been ages since I've had one because Dunkin' Donuts is all about the coffee discounts/deals/coupons and never the doughnut deals. No wonder they're dropping Donuts from their name in some locations. Boo.

(edited)

I absolutely love doughnuts. I just said it another thread if I could eat one food it would be ice cream, but doughnuts are right up there.

I prefer yeast to cake doughnuts. I appreciate the different tastes of most doughnut shops. The only doughnuts I find easy to resist are the store-bought variety and that odd doughnut shop with poor quality doughnuts. 

A few favorites are Krispy's Original Glazed & Cake Batter, and then Dunkin Boston Cream & Glazed Crullers. I also love a good maple, but the best one I've had is from a local shop. 

Edited by RealHousewife

Duck Donuts (no, they aren't made of ducks) - the store originated in Duck, NC (Outer Banks) and they are so darn good. They must be eaten immediately, as they are made to order. We've eaten them after they cooled down and though still good, not as magical as piping hot. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Lunula said:

Duck Donuts (no, they aren't made of ducks) - the store originated in Duck, NC (Outer Banks) and they are so darn good. They must be eaten immediately, as they are made to order. We've eaten them after they cooled down and though still good, not as magical as piping hot. 

They are delicious!  And they're still pretty darned good reheated in the microwave.  I love their Key lime frosting, especially with chocolate drizzle.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, Lunula said:

We have a Duck Donuts down the street from where I am from. I only been there once, It was really good may have to revisit again.

Best donut I ever had was made about five minutes before I ate it in a courtyard on a Greek island (Eos, to be exact). My husband and I were sleeping on the rooftop of a little hotel and the smell of these donuts cooking woke us up....we were on our honeymoon which was the $5 a day version of traveling through Europe so we could not afford an actual hotel room but they let us camp out on the roof and use the bathroom/showers for a dollar a night! (yes this was over 40 years ago). The donuts were classic yeast/glazed and simply exquisite (came with delicious frothy milky coffee too).

• Love 1

Love doughnuts!  My dad used to bring home a bag of Spudnuts every once in a while.  So good!

Krispy Kremes original, just the right ratio of fat & sugar.  Love our Duck Donuts too.  The maple icing is yummy.  Also cinnamon sugar.

I also like filled long Johns, with maple icing with the cream icing filling, not custard.  Also like lemon filled doughnuts.

The only doughnut I don’t like is chocolate, whether it’s frosted, glazed, or made with a chocolate dough.  Just don’t like ‘em at all.

• Useful 1