Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: The Chopper

• Start Topic

"She's dancing better than normal..."

Yeah, I wouldn't turn down an awesome chopper ride. I have a feeling this episode idea had been on the backburner for a while and the show finally had an excuse to put in a chopper.

So we have a reason for Gina being there: settling drama for 12 year olds.

I love how Amy's favorite part of reliving middle school is retaking all the tests.

Andre Braugher needs an award solely on his delivery on "Velvet Thunder."

• Love 4

VELVET THUNDER!!  I say it way too many times, but Andre Braugher is the best.

Totally figured something was up and that Wuntch really did want them to succeed, so I wasn't surprised over the reveal that she is planning on using this bust to promote Holt, and get him behind the desk. Damn her and her little rat hands!  Hopefully, the gang will find out, and find a way around this.  Have to think Jake will not be happy, and no doubt Amy is going to either a) have a panic attack or b) could maybe flip-out.  I could totally see this unleashing a terrifying version of Amy that could even unnerve Wuntch.

The B-plot with the kids was fine, I guess.  I did like that instead of some kind of competition, Amy/Rosa/Gina all succeeded with the kids on some levels.  Rosa's idea about impressing them with pictures of dead bodies was dark, but on the mark.  And I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that Gina would know how the minds of teens work.  But my favorite was Amy just going full-nerd in this episode.  Really want to hear more stories of Amy when she was a child.

The cold opening was amusing: totally figured Terry would win, since Gina always lusted for him.  Of course, since his wife found out about it, he might have actually lost as well...

Favorite random moment was Holt deliberately getting John McClane's name wrong, because he knew that would annoy Jake.

That said, as soon as I heard the words "Major Crimes", I did briefly get a hope for another appearance from "The Vulture", but alas, it was not to be.  But now that Battle Creek has been canceled, Dean Winters' availability will be opening up, I guess.

• Love 5
(edited)

I refuse to believe that Captain Holt would use the word "unquote." Even if he had any inclination to do so, his years with Kevin would have knocked it out of him. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 2
(edited)
So we have a reason for Gina being there: settling drama for 12 year olds.

Ha, it was not at all surprising that Gina was able to squash all that middle school beef.

Yeah, I wouldn't turn down an awesome chopper ride.

One of Mr. EB's rules is "never turn down a ride on a fire truck," so you can imagine how excited he was when he was offered a ride on a fire truck a few years ago. I mean, not excited enough to come up with a new code name for himself like Jake, but pretty damn excited.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Saved this to watch again bc there were so many funny parts.

Boyle's accidental selfies, Jake's bro-gasm at Holt getting on board with the code names, John McClane, Terry having to go home after winning the Gina contest, etc.  Just too much fun. 

Andre Braugher had one zinger about Wunch being so high up without a broom that cracked me up but I cant get the wording exactly right.  He cracks me up.

• Love 5

I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud in this episode.

--Holt's insults for Wunch were awesome -

--Hands are like little rat claws

--I never thought I'd see you this high up without a broom

--she-skunk

--We are not going to fight he because she is the devil, and if you dance with the devil you get burned

--Just a minute, my cauldron is boiling over

I also loved that Holt used "Bing-pot" at the end, and Jake face when he did it!

Loved the code names and Boyle and Jake on the headphones in the chopper

--This exchange - 

Holt "I'm surprised you are not celebrating inappropriately"

Jake "I'm a professional and this is a crime scene"

Holt " You did it before I showed up"

Jake "Yes, that is correct"

Honorable mention goes to Rosa "I would have killed to see a bag of hands at that age"

• Love 9

That cold open? Amy Santiago is just the most precious thing in the world: "I'm in! A bet which improves someone's manners? Double score". And Terry making such a huge mistake on facebook? Oh, Terry.

Loved Rosa's suggestion that Terry just get one of his twins into school, and let them take turns going. And Terry telling her "Diaz, that's crazy.... I asked my wife and she said no." I kind of love this section of a show's life, where the characters are so well defined that you know how they're going to respond to something, and it just makes it funnier when you're right. Of course Terry would have considered that, and of course his wife would veto it.

And, of course Amy would have been voted "most likely to befriend a school administrator". She was so proud of that. And she restocked the teachers' lounge fridge and cleaned up after them.

Oh yeah, and of course Amy is terrible with kids. Loved the look of panic on her face when Terry asked her to watch them, "I'm so sorry. I tried to be myself and they hated it."

"You know how to fly a chopper?!"

"How hard can it be? It's just a big fan that goes in the sky."

Yes, Jake. That's exactly what it is. I was a little surprised that it was actually Chekov's Chopper, because the joke so often just throws in random one liners.

I loved Charles's devotion to Jake, in this episode. He was so endearing and affirming. I was already sure that bingpot would take off, before Holt said it.

Holt's petty, childish loathing of Wuntch is always funny as well. "Why aren't you clenching your little rat hands in anger?" But I'm sure you can't force someone to take a promotion against their will, so I don't really see the jeopardy with that last development.

• Love 6

Heh, I continue to love the little bits Scully and Hitchcock chip in with. Scully's "I can't be around magnets - pacemaker" (and Terry's decision not to correct him) and Hitchcock's "That's me underneath the mask" completely cracked me up.

Boyle accidentally having the camera on selfie mode but saying that he at least looked super proud of Jake was rather adorable.

And as always, Andre Braugher was amazing. I loved his angry-enunciating for the line "You don't dance with the devil because you get burned." Nice character continuity there.

• Love 6

Ugh. Way too much Gina. I almost switched channels.

I love when Holt starts out against something but then totally gets on board. It was so great when he decided on his name.

That cold open? Amy Santiago is just the most precious thing in the world: "I'm in! A bet which improves someone's manners? Double score". And Terry making such a huge mistake on facebook? Oh, Terry.

She is isn't she. I feel so silly but I just want to give her a hug and pat her head. I want to hug Boyle too. He's a little too much sometimes but I really do love his devotion to Jake. It seems to me Jake is starting to appreciate it more.
  • Love 6

I always love episodes that focus on the never ending Boyl/Jake mutual love fest. "Love ya Bud"!

I love Holt`s hatred of Munch, his pettiness always cracks me up, but I`m glad he realized that hating Munch was getting in the way of actually being a good detective. 

Please tell me we are going to get the return of Velvet Thunder!!!

Of course Gina does a great job with 12 year old girls. Those are her true peers.

I have yet to see an episode of this show I don't laugh at. I`ll miss it so much during break. 

• Love 3

But I'm sure you can't force someone to take a promotion against their will, so I don't really see the jeopardy with that last development.

But if you are a cop can't your supervisors reassign you? I mean I guess that Holt could turn down the promotion in rank, but could he stop Wunch from reassigning him to the public relations department?

One small thing I really liked in this episode was how after all that stuff with the school kids the Principal still remained logical and acted like a normal person and told Terry that she was a professional and would never judge his kids based on what happened at the 99.

• Love 2

One small thing I really liked in this episode was how after all that stuff with the school kids the Principal still remained logical and acted like a normal person and told Terry that she was a professional and would never judge his kids based on what happened at the 99.

But didn't she follow that up saying that preschool admissions were based on the parents, implying that what happened at the 99 would affect their admission??

Also, I loved that she was more impressed with Gina's accomplishments -- every story I've ever heard indicates that grades 6-9 are the worst to teach because kids be crazy, so I believe that doing something to reduce the drama would be the best thing that could happen.

But if you are a cop can't your supervisors reassign you? I mean I guess that Holt could turn down the promotion in rank, but could he stop Wunch from reassigning him to the public relations department?

I suppose, but in that case she could reassign him at any time. Pinning it on a promotion weakens her hand, because he can say no to the promotion.

She is isn't she. I feel so silly but I just want to give her a hug and pat her head.

I can't say my thoughts are quite as clean as that, because Melissa Fumero is so hot. But Amy is just adorable, and I like how they've made her this square, uptight person, but still let her be fun and a part of the gang. Rosa's affectionate and exasperated "oh, Amy" summed it up really. They know she's a dork, but they like her anyway.

I really liked the entire changing his status to It's complicated bit.  Heh.  "I've got to go home."

And as much as Velvet Thunder was awesome, I think I liked Wet Blanket even more. 

This was a fun episode, and we even got a cliff-hanger ending.  (Boo!)

I suppose, but in that case she could reassign him at any time. Pinning it on a promotion weakens her hand, because he can say no to the promotion.

It actually strengthens her hand. A lateral transfer back to PR would have to be justified to TBTB, by giving him the promotion she covers herself. He knows she can transfer him at anytime and with the promotion on the table his two options are basically take the promotion or get transferred without it, she doesn't look vindictive and he would harm his career if he got transferred laterally. Promoting people to positions they don't want but have to take isn't that uncommon.

• Love 1

It actually strengthens her hand. A lateral transfer back to PR would have to be justified to TBTB, by giving him the promotion she covers herself. He knows she can transfer him at anytime and with the promotion on the table his two options are basically take the promotion or get transferred without it, she doesn't look vindictive and he would harm his career if he got transferred laterally. Promoting people to positions they don't want but have to take isn't that uncommon.

But she wouldn't have a justifiable reason to transfer him away from the precinct, without damaging Holt's name. Which is why trying to promote him makes no sense. 'Wait, this is the guy you wanted to promote last month? And now you're saying he can't cut it as a precinct captain?'.

No, she would simply say that his skills were better used in PR even if he didn't want the extra responsibility of the promotion; therefore, it's back on Holt and she doesn't look like she is being vindictive. Also, declining promotions in the police department (and hell other places) can have a negative impact on someone's career.

• Love 1

I honestly don't even understand how that's a promotion. Captain of a precinct to...public relations? To me, one has nothing really to do with the other. Bah. I still think her pushing the matter would make her look bad. The squad does good work under Holt and they just nabbed a triple murderer and recovered 21 million dollars...and she wants to, essentially, bench him? What possible grounds could she give to justify that? "He's so good at leading his crew in the reduction of crime that I want to pull him away from that and make him spend all his time making nice with reporters"?

Other than that, I loved everything about this episode. Holt is a treasure. As someone upthread said, when he gets into the fun and games, AB kills it every time. And AS nailed Jake's thrilled reactions to Holt getting into the swing of things.

It only just recently occurred to me that Boyle and Amy are very alike. Total goofs and cheesy as fuck, but dammit they are genuine, loyal and earnest and that's enough to give them a lifetime pass from me. :)

• Love 3

No, she would simply say that his skills were better used in PR

Oh yes when I think Raymond Holt, I think public relations skills! Now I kind of want him to take the promotion (just for a couple episodes) so we can see him being the diplomatic department spokesman.

• Love 2

First black gay man to become a captain, is given a hot mess of a precinct to work with and turns it into a top-notch (albeit a little lot weird) -- is it ggod PR to make that man head of PR?  I doan tink zo!

The precinct wasn't really a hot mess. Holt's first review showed that arrests were steady, which Amy pointed out to him was good news because of how rare that is, but it doesn't mean the 99 was so awful. What it had was a captain who didn't care anymore and was waiting for enough time in to retire. 

As for the move, sure it requires some suspension of disbelief, but the NYPD is well known for it's political in-fighting. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this storyline was based on true events. (Cue Law & Order sound.)

• Love 1
(edited)
The precinct wasn't really a hot mess. Holt's first review showed that arrests were steady, which Amy pointed out to him was good news because of how rare that is, but it doesn't mean the 99 was so awful.

I agree and Amy and Jake had each solved an impressive number of cases. In fact I don't think Holt has really changed the precinct that much. Not that I don't think he is an asset but it has basically been making them more efficient and providing a solid mentor for Amy and Jake. All of the characters are as capable or incapable in the case of Scully and Hitchcock as they were when he came. The person who changed the most was Terry but that was because he was on desk duty due to issues about the shooting and while Holt being in trouble was the catalyst for him to get over that fear it wasn't really anything Holt did.

As for the move, sure it requires some suspension of disbelief, but the NYPD is well known for it's political in-fighting. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this storyline was based on true events. (Cue Law & Order sound.)

It's funny Elementary had a similar storyline a few weeks ago where TPTB wanted someone out of a precinct and they were going to promote him when he said he didn't want it, his friend told him "first they come with the carrot, then they come with the stick."

The person Holt probably changed the most is Gina by giving her more responsibilities than she used to have.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)
That said, as soon as I heard the words "Major Crimes", I did briefly get a hope for another appearance from "The Vulture", but alas, it was not to be.  But now that Battle Creek has been canceled, Dean Winters' availability will be opening up, I guess.

Me too.

It's actually somewhat ironic. This is the case the Vulture didnt poach, but by actual NYPD guidelines this is the only case we've seen so far on Brooklyn Nine-Nine that Major Crimes should have taken from a normal precinct.

Major Crimes pervue is pretty much exclusively bank and armoured car robberies.

Edited by Maximum Taco
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 9:02 PM, NoWillToResist said:

I honestly don't even understand how that's a promotion. Captain of a precinct to...public relations? To me, one has nothing really to do with the other.

It's a promotion because it would be dealing with PR for the whole city not just the 99th Precinct (and presumably comes with greater pay and a larger office). As for whether Holt would be any good at PR - he probably won't be (and Wunch may intend him to fail in the job). It's a perfect example of The Peter's Principle in action.

• Love 1